Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

More reboots!? CBS orders Magnum P.I., Cagney and Lacey pilots

Fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 12, 2018 3:56 AM

I’m sure they will cast some non-masc pretty boy as magnum.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2018 12:32 AM

This madness has got to stop!

Most of the TV re-boots are worse than the original. Twin Peaks. Gilmore Girls. X-Files too probably (haven't watched yet).

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2018 12:33 AM

John Leguizamo IS Magnum PR

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2018 12:45 AM

Stop this shit now!! Where does the madness end?

What's next Designing Girls (reboot of Designing Women) ?

Welcome Back Kotter starring John Travolta in the teacher role?

Good Times? Damn, Damn, Damn. Michael is all grown up and living with his husband and railing against how Trump treats black, gay people

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2018 12:51 AM

How about Designing Old Women. Annie Potts still looks good. Of course, Dixie is gone but maybe they can lure Julia Duffy back

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2018 12:55 AM

A Magnum PI would not be the worst case in the world if they found someone with a laid back charisma and it captured the light-hearted escapist atmosphere of the early season , but they would probably try to make it dark and edgy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2018 1:01 AM

[quote]Good Times? Damn, Damn, Damn. Michael is all grown up and living with his husband and railing against how Trump treats black, gay people

And JJ would be on the opposite side, just like the Roseanne reboot.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2018 1:02 AM

I'm free!

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2018 1:11 AM

R8 - I think Angela is planning on doing one more Murder She Wrote movie.

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2018 1:21 AM

Good. There's still a chance her last movie will be something worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2018 1:22 AM

Matt Bomer as Thomas Magnum?

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2018 1:23 AM

I wonder how many white characters are being recast as black.

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2018 1:23 AM

[quote]I think Angela is planning on doing one more Murder She Wrote movie.

She got the Octavia Spencer reboot cancelled, so she better make it a good one.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2018 1:24 AM

Eddie Redmayne *is* Lucy Ricardo in "I Still Love Lucy!"

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2018 1:25 AM

Who is the world could play Higgins? I think he would be the hardest character to cast.

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2018 1:29 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2018 1:34 AM

Cagney and Lacey — they’re girl cops! Starring Laverne Cox and Lindsay Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2018 1:52 AM

Here's an advanced copy of CBS's all NEW fall lineup for next fall. Don't tell anyone I shared the info with you. Its our little secret!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2018 2:14 AM

Gimme A Break! starring Octavia Spencer

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air starring Jayden Smith

Blossom starring Millie Bobby Brown

by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2018 2:19 AM

R19 Octavia Spencer would be awesome in Gimme a Break! actually lol.

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2018 2:20 AM

[quote]Cagney and Lacey — they’re girl cops! Starring Laverne Cox and Lindsay Lohan.

I was reading the article about the remake on Dateline and came across this comment:

"I hope they will at least consider making either Cagney or Lacey a trans woman in the reboot."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2018 3:28 AM

It's about time. Mondays have just been so cold and empty without Cagney and Lacey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2018 3:38 AM

[quote]Blossom starring Millie Bobby Brown

Please...it'd be Blossom starring Quvenzhané Wallis.

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2018 4:47 AM

There is a lack of creativity on mainstream television today. That’s what this is about. Also, networks don’t want to take any risk.

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2018 4:53 AM

Anne Colter can make a cameo as JJ's Honky wife.

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2018 6:52 AM

[quote] There is a lack of creativity on mainstream television today.

But by god they've got diversity coming out the ears. Isn't that enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2018 7:02 AM

I thought the headline was a joke. Kotter w. one of the sweathogs being the teacher is not the worst idea that's been made into a show.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2018 7:24 AM

[quote]There is a lack of creativity on mainstream television today. That’s what this is about. Also, networks don’t want to take any risk.

Which is a shame because there are talented, creative people out there. I really think it is that networks don't want to take any risk and they don't want to develop any new talent.

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2018 11:49 AM

Elisabeth Moss *is* Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally in Green Acres

Rachel Brosnahan as The Flying Nun

and of course the obvious, Mindy Cohn in Facts of Life, she has now graduated into the Charlotte Rae role

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2018 12:05 PM

Family Ties - former 90s grunge parents find themselves at odds with their deplorable Republican son, social media addicted daughter and their non binary youngest child.

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2018 1:04 PM

Charmed, The Reboot is coming soon! It is no longer set in the 70s, and none of the original witches has been consulted. Holly Marie is pissed. I hope Shannen has a cut in perpetuity.

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2018 2:17 PM

Two reasons to bring back Cagney and Lacey:

-Mary Beth can finally be an out lesbian.

-The awesome Bill Conti theme.

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2018 2:44 PM

R30 I’d actually watch the fuck outta that version of Family Ties.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2018 2:50 PM

When they were talking about a Murder, She Wrote reboot with Octavia Spencer a few years ago, the only thing I really didn't like about it was that Jessica wasn't going to be a retired English teacher.

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2018 2:52 PM

I would love to see Delta Burke back on television. Annie Potts, Jean Smart...come on back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2018 3:50 PM

I want to see That Old Woman, a reboot of That Girl.

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2018 4:09 PM

It would be nice to see Cagney & Lacey cast with healthy sized, slender women, to push away the thought of what became the bloated, portly shape of the original actors.

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2018 4:22 PM

I'm just so happy they are bringing back these gay and lesbian shows

by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2018 4:25 PM

I’d love to see Idris Elba as Magnum P.I.

by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2018 4:56 PM

No fucking way I push anything with that nonbinary shit. The only way a [italic]Family Ties[/italic] reboot would ever work without Michael J. Fox is to make the equivalent of the character he played a gay Republican whose parents can deal with the former but not the latter.

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2018 5:21 PM

Sh la la lol

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2018 5:44 PM

The TV networks are playing it too safely here. It shows a lack of nerve and creativity.

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2018 5:53 PM

[quote]A Magnum PI would not be the worst case in the world if they found someone with a laid back charisma and it captured the light-hearted escapist atmosphere of the early season , but they would probably try to make it dark and edgy.

Magnum PI often was dark and edgy, R6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2018 5:55 PM

R15 how about Thomas Lennon for Higgins?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2018 5:57 PM

Debbie Allen, Phylicia Rashad, Loretta Devine, and Cicely Tyson ARE "The Golden Girls"!

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2018 6:06 PM

I would watch the hell out of a Golden Girls with Loretta Devine.

by Anonymousreply 46January 27, 2018 6:07 PM

I guess I'm part of the problem, r4, because I'd watch the shit out of all those shows!

by Anonymousreply 47January 27, 2018 6:07 PM

He sure looks the part of Higgins in that photo, R44, but he's a bit fit for the little Major Domo. I agree Higgins will be a tough role to cast. John Hillerman is a hard act to follow. It always tickled me that he was a Texan.

by Anonymousreply 48January 27, 2018 6:08 PM

[Quote] A Magnum PI would not be the worst case in the world if they found someone with a laid back charisma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 27, 2018 6:15 PM

Vague memory of a proposed gay Hart to Hart remake....two Mr. Harts or something. I guess it went nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 50January 27, 2018 6:48 PM

Can't wait for the reboot of The Golden Girls!

by Anonymousreply 51January 27, 2018 7:14 PM

Is R45 supposed to be a bad thing? I actually want to see that...

by Anonymousreply 52January 27, 2018 7:21 PM

[quote]I would watch the hell out of a Golden Girls with Loretta Devine.

I'm another one who would watch it just for Loretta Devine. Would she play Rose? But lose Allen and Rashad. They're not interesting. Get Jackee Harry for the Blanche role. Who for Dorothy? Someone who has that acidic sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 53January 27, 2018 7:29 PM

Lol...I actually did consider Jackee for either Blanche or Rose.

by Anonymousreply 54January 27, 2018 7:32 PM

(Edit of Golden Girls reboot post) Switch out Cicely Tyson for Marla Gibbs...

by Anonymousreply 55January 27, 2018 7:37 PM

R45 You mean "The Golden-Brown Girls."

by Anonymousreply 56January 27, 2018 7:38 PM

I would love to see Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless running after the perps now, with their oxygen tanks trailing behind them.

by Anonymousreply 57January 27, 2018 8:02 PM

I only want to see Angela Lansbury reprise her role if they finally reveal that Jessica Fletcher was a serial killer all along.

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2018 8:03 PM

I think it's a curse that the Will & Grace reboot is successful. I love it but think that was the test case and now reboots is all we'll get. No imagination needed by the producers or writers.

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2018 8:04 PM

Well eventually they’ll run out of shows to reboot. How many TV series have their been over the past 50-60 years?

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2018 8:08 PM

How about a Hogan Family reboot.....or Perfect Strangers?

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2018 8:09 PM

A Year in the life sequel with Sarah Jessica Parker?

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2018 8:13 PM

[quote] The TV networks are playing it too safely here. It shows a lack of nerve and creativity.

With my basic pay a piddling $70 million a year I am forced to reserve all my nerve and creativity for my expense account reports.

by Anonymousreply 63January 27, 2018 8:15 PM

Laura Bell Bundy in Bewitched. Gavin Creel as Darin. Jackie Hoffman as Mrs. Kravitz. Zoe Wannamaker as Endora.

by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2018 8:17 PM

[quote]How about a Hogan Family reboot.

I'd rather die.

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2018 8:18 PM

A Hogan Family reboot would include Sandy Duncan, not Valerie Harper. A Valerie reboot would include Harper. Either would potentially include a Robert Flack sung theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2018 8:27 PM

[quote]I only want to see Angela Lansbury reprise her role if they finally reveal that Jessica Fletcher was a serial killer all along.

My Dad was fairly confident this was the case.

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2018 8:30 PM

Murder She Wrote was an awfully twee and bland show. Lansbury wasn't even at her best either. She phoned it in for 12 years.

by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2018 8:39 PM

[quote]Murder She Wrote was an awfully twee and bland show.

That's the way they wanted it. It was targeted to the senior citizen viewer. But they did manage one storyline that was risque. Melissa Sue Anderson starred as an actress in a nude adaptation of one of Jessica's books.

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2018 8:53 PM

If they're going to reboot shows, they should do it for shows that were cancelled prematurely like The Powers That Be, The 5 Mrs. Buchanans, Models Inc. and I would be interested to see how the Brady kids are doing without their parents and old housekeeper.

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2018 9:04 PM

Dynasty....oh wa it. ..it's been done. Kate and Allie?

by Anonymousreply 71January 27, 2018 9:13 PM

Friends? Would they dare?

by Anonymousreply 72January 27, 2018 9:25 PM

R43. Agreed. I remember a pretty grim serial killer episode, and of course, the "back to 'Nam" episodes. Maybe in this iteration, Magnum could have PTSD!

by Anonymousreply 73January 27, 2018 9:37 PM

[quote]The only way a Family Ties reboot would ever work without Michael J. Fox is to make the equivalent of the character he played a gay Republican whose parents can deal with the former but not the latter.

I actually love this idea.

by Anonymousreply 74January 27, 2018 10:03 PM

With regard to the C&L reboot, one of them should be Mary Beth's daughter who followed her mom into the police business. That way Tyne Daly (and maybe even Sharon Gless, too) could make guest appearances.

by Anonymousreply 75January 27, 2018 10:04 PM

[quote]A Valerie reboot would include Harper.

If Harper would reboot anything, it should be "Rhoda." We could see her and Brenda in their retirement years, both widows, and they could tell stories about their late, great mother Ida. (Rhoda could also talk about her friendship with the now late Mary Richards.) All of this, of course, while they chase the single elderly bachelors in the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 76January 27, 2018 10:09 PM

A Laura Bell Bundy anything I would watch. She's all kinds of awesome. Have felt that way since she was sacked for being too curvy to play Kim Zimmer's daughter on Guiding Light. That she can both sing and be funny is icing on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 77January 27, 2018 10:17 PM

If Harper would reboot anything, it should be "Rhoda."

[quote] The old friends from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," Mary and Rhoda, are reunited, only to discover that Mary has a daughter named Rose and Rhoda's daughter is named Meredith.

It was tried. And it was horrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 27, 2018 10:18 PM

Hopefully, Cagney and Lacey will be a couple in the new incarnation.

by Anonymousreply 79January 27, 2018 10:22 PM

A reboot of The Flying Nun would be awesome!

by Anonymousreply 80January 27, 2018 10:22 PM

R78, it's funny you posted that. The week "Mary & Rhoda" premiered was the week I moved from Texas to New York, and because I had nothing yet (furniture, a TV, even an apartment), I missed it. I did, however, hear that it was pretty bad, so I didn't feel like I was really missing anything.

by Anonymousreply 81January 27, 2018 10:23 PM

[quote]Vague memory of a proposed gay Hart to Hart remake....two Mr. Harts or something.

Someone posted here a while back that they should reboot HTH with Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers but this time they would be assisted in solving mysteries by their gay police detective son. I thought that was actually a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 82January 27, 2018 10:32 PM

Harvey Fierstein IS Mr. Belvedere

by Anonymousreply 83January 27, 2018 10:55 PM

[quote] Can't wait for the reboot of The Golden Girls!

Will that be before or after the all-gay, all-male version of [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 84January 27, 2018 11:00 PM

I'd say Gabrielle Cartertits as Blanche for The Golden Girls reboot.

by Anonymousreply 85January 27, 2018 11:02 PM

[quote]I'd say Gabrielle Cartertits as Blanche for The Golden Girls reboot.

Maybe thirty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 86January 27, 2018 11:14 PM

[quote]Will that be before or after the all-gay, all-male version of Silver Spoons?

Didn't they do this the first time around?

by Anonymousreply 87January 27, 2018 11:23 PM

[quote][R43]. Agreed. I remember a pretty grim serial killer episode, and of course, the "back to 'Nam" episodes. Maybe in this iteration, Magnum could have PTSD!

Magnum (and Rick and TC - and come to think of it, Higgins) all suffered from PTSD, R73. They just didn't call it that then, and men were supposed to just "soldier through" it. There were a few episodes where Magnum just didn't care about anything after a woman {Sharon Stone, of all people) killed herself, and also when his buddy Mack was killed when he jumped into the Ferrari before Magnum did and it exploded. That episode led to Magnum killing Ivan in cold blood, as I posted as R43. Ivan was responsible for Mack's death, as well as a buddy of his when Magnum was a prisoner of war. At the time, the murder of Ivan was quite controversial, as a "good guy" like Magnum would never do such a thing.

That said, there used to be a youtube "kill count" for Magnum PI, and Thomas racked up over 50 kills - of course, all of those (except Ivan's) were self defense or to save someone else's life.

by Anonymousreply 88January 27, 2018 11:30 PM

If DL existed during the original run of Cagney and Lacey, there would have been multiple threads every season like there were for "Lost" and the first few seasons of "American Idol."

It was a favorite in my house when I was in my teens, and just thinking about how much my mother loved it makes me smile. If they remake it, I hope they do it justice.

by Anonymousreply 89January 27, 2018 11:54 PM

Here's the clip of top 25 shows from supposedly best TV season ever...1966-67 season.

My question is what is James West (from #3) from The Wild Wild West, doing running up the stairway of the Barkley Home (#4) from the Big Valley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 28, 2018 12:52 AM

For awhile it seemed like about half of the villains that Jim West fought lived in the Barkley house. It was a popular set.

by Anonymousreply 91January 28, 2018 12:57 AM

None of you fucking morons know what a reboot is.

Most everything being described is a revival, which is bringing back original characters to start where the original left off. A reboot is starting from scratch and rewriting the entire history. Think JJ Abrams Star Trek.

Jesus there are so many idiots here.

by Anonymousreply 92January 28, 2018 1:10 AM

Cagney and Lacey was already remade. It was called Rizzoli and Isles.

Susan Harris has said that she refuses any offer to remake Golden Girls, because the original was so perfect. So you can forget it. Not going to happen.

And no Designing Women remake/reboot, whatever. Delta is retired and Jean and Annie would NEVER do it without her, Dixie and Meshach. Plus Linda Bloodworth recently said that she felt the original never got the respect it deserved to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 93January 28, 2018 1:28 AM

Loretta Devine andbMarla Gibbs and Jack ee, maybe get Sharon Leal? This isva truly golden cast!!! Love these women!

Hated Family ties.

Yes to Rhoda reboot, even if it's only 8 episodes!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 94January 28, 2018 1:30 AM

[quote] Plus Linda Bloodworth recently said that she felt the original never got the respect it deserved to begin with.

Ain't it the truth, with that no talent, rotten actress Candace Bergen continually winning those Emmys during those years.

What a joke.

So delicious to know that Designing Women still shows and is still hilarious while Bergen's show is as dated as her wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 95January 28, 2018 1:32 AM

It does not have to be called the golden girls. Call if roomies or lovely ladies of color and set it in santa Barbara or Cleveland, just get those great women on a series. You don't need the original proud er. There wad a ,of of bad writinvbkn golden girls. Designing much better series.

by Anonymousreply 96January 28, 2018 1:37 AM

And watch Susan Harris sue the shit out of them.

You want Marla and Jackee, reboot 227. Simple as that. Regina King and kids move back into the old apartment building, now turned condo. With neighbors, Niecy Nash, Lunell and Robin Givens.

Occasional appearance by original 227 cast members: Marla, Hal Williams, Jackee, Curtis Baldwin, Countess Vaughn, Barry Sobel, Stoney Jackson, Kia Goodwin and Toukie Smith.

by Anonymousreply 97January 28, 2018 1:42 AM

Can Miss Warwick loan her psychic friends to channel Helen Martin as well?

by Anonymousreply 98January 28, 2018 1:45 AM

Okay if they add Loretta Devine. Regina is a movie star. Would she come back? Marla is a doll. I wrote to her when she wad on Passions and she wrote me back and sent nice fotos. Who was the beautiful black guidance counselor on In the heat of the night? Excellent actress.

by Anonymousreply 99January 28, 2018 1:48 AM

Back when Regina was still doing Southland, Marla made a cameo where she played a dotty old lady that Lydia had to question. Marla opens up the door, gets a big smile on her face and asks "Brenda, is that you?" Subtle and hilarious, the best kind of humor.

by Anonymousreply 100January 28, 2018 1:51 AM

I'd rather Sally reboot Gidget r80. Playing it all sun-damaged and louche.

by Anonymousreply 101January 28, 2018 1:52 AM

Max Greenfield as Magnum PI

by Anonymousreply 102January 28, 2018 1:54 AM

R92 for Archie Bunker in the All in the Family reboot

by Anonymousreply 103January 28, 2018 1:56 AM

[QUOTE]None of you fucking morons know what a reboot is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 28, 2018 2:19 AM

I'm ready for a 30 Rock revival. Story-wise it would be easy. NBC, caught in the grip of revival-fever, orders more episodes of TGS with Tracey Jordan. Get on it, Tina!

by Anonymousreply 105January 28, 2018 2:31 AM

Ok - so as not to upset R92! - i would like to see a revival please....

I wannna see ‘Sixty-something’ - which takes up where Thirty-something left off.

Original cast - all now verging on - or just recently - retired. Coping with all that entails. Along with all the old person’s health issues! That formerly hot leading man who was so handsome - now is kinda porky and looks like he’s likely diabetic with heart issues - just think of all the great big pharmaceutical company advertising the networks could rake in! Fabulous!!

Hafta admit, one of the reasons I’m so keen on this is that years ago - back when thirty-something was actually screening - an Australian sketch comedy show had a recurring, very silly short sketch called. ‘Ninety-something’ - which had two deaf old ladies trying to have a conversation that neither party could hear. Lots of screaming at each other and ‘what was that dear?’-type responses. It wasn’t very politically correct - but at the time I thought it was hysterical. And as the years have rolled by - I occasionally think of it and realise that it’s not that far off being able to cast the show’s original actors in something very similar...

(And thanks to the miracles of google and YouTube - found one! - it has nothing to do with the American series in any way - just the name - but my gayling self thought it was great and reminded me of several elderly relatives at the time! It’s kinda lame now - but still makes me laugh all the same)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 28, 2018 3:06 AM

Sharon Gless and Tyne Daly are both still working actresses, and each has done TV work (Daly also stage, I believe) in recent years.

But surely Cagney and Lacey have retired from the NYPD with comfortable pensions by now. Maybe they teach at the police academy part-time, or have a small business as private investigators or security consultants, and get pulled into big crimes and have to teach the young folk on the beat a thing or two.

I'd watch.

by Anonymousreply 107January 28, 2018 4:27 PM

Didn't Chris leave the force and join the DA's office?

by Anonymousreply 108January 28, 2018 4:48 PM

I think you're right, r108. But she would still have been a public employee and getting time toward retirement benefits. Those civil service unions are strong.

by Anonymousreply 109January 28, 2018 4:54 PM

Actually, assuming she hasn't reached mandatory retirement age, and assuming that they want a revival and not a straight reboot, it would be cool to see Mary Beth as the lieutenant of the unit mentoring a pair of rookie female detectives.

by Anonymousreply 110January 28, 2018 5:06 PM

I would watch the hell out of other people watching the hell out of reboots

by Anonymousreply 111January 28, 2018 5:30 PM

"Welcome Back Kotter starring John Travolta in the teacher role?"

But will the network approve that reboot title: "Welcome Bareback Plotter"?

by Anonymousreply 112January 28, 2018 5:34 PM

I object to "sweat-hog" references.

by Anonymousreply 113January 28, 2018 6:01 PM

Will & Grace reboot was enough. It's great; I love it, but no more reboots (unless it's Designing Women). Will & Grace is special and still relevant given the social climate of the day. The W&G reboot came about because the cast did a "Get Out and Vote" PSA last year and it took off. People were genuinely interested in seeing them together again. But a Magnum, PI, reboot? Don't be ridiculous. Cagney & Lacey? Roseanne? No, we don't need them. They add nothing to the TV landscape. Have the television production companies and writers completely run out of ideas? This is a blatant money grab combined with no imagination. Nothing wrong with money, but talk of all these reboots is just laziness.

by Anonymousreply 114January 28, 2018 6:27 PM

Like your ideas R107. If they did it your way I'd watch too.

by Anonymousreply 115January 28, 2018 6:33 PM

Not sure I quite agree with you, r114. Some great characters can be timeless. Whether we're talking reboot or revival, sequel or infinite series, it works if the original material is good enough and the new writers and producers are good enough. Bond, Poirot, Doctor Who have all survived multiple reboots, and sometimes what we see this year is better than what happened 25 years ago.

There's a good argument that Shatner and Nimoy, plus some of the supporting cast, did some of their best work in the Star Trek movies that came at least a decade after the original series went off the air.

The Roseanne revival may suck, or it might be great, or just be very good, like Will and Grace. In both cases the source material is great and we can hope they live up to what it was at its best.

by Anonymousreply 116January 28, 2018 6:42 PM

Does anyone remember the Charlie's Angels reboot from a few years ago? Loved Rachael Taylor but she needed to be a lesbian on the show! If they couldn't fit a lesbian on the new Charlie's Angels, I'm not hopeful for Cagney and Lacey. In fact, I think they tried a lesbian Cagney and Lacey a decade ago and it went nowhere. America wasn't ready then but I think it would go down (badumbum!) well now as long as they did a good job of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote] In fact, I think they tried a lesbian Cagney and Lacey a decade ago

I don't really recall that. Might you be thinking of Nikki and Nora , the Thin Ladies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 28, 2018 8:45 PM

R118, yes, that's the show I linked to in my post. Not sure where 'the Thin Ladies' thing comes in. They look healthy and hot in your linked photo unlike so many emaciated female celebs.

by Anonymousreply 119January 28, 2018 8:51 PM

R114: That NBC minstrel show was NEVER relevant and we'd be better off if it had never premiered at all.

by Anonymousreply 120January 28, 2018 8:54 PM

r119 sorry, I didn't scroll down far enough to see your link to Nikki and Nora before I posted. As for the Thin Ladies that was just my joke. Don't you recall who were the original Nick and Nora crime fighters?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 28, 2018 9:05 PM

Sorry, R121, didn't realize the origins and thought you were referencing the comments above about how fat the Cagney and Lacey actors have gotten. I still wish that show had been picked up but maybe not by a now defunct network. Come on Netflix, give us some lesbian cops!

by Anonymousreply 122January 28, 2018 9:58 PM

I'm sure some of you know the story, but maybe lots of you don't. Sharon Gless was the third actress to play Christine Cagney on CBS. Loretta Swit did the pilot with Tyne Daly, but when it was picked up mid season Swit was locked into MASH.

Meg Foster played Cagney in the forgotten first short season but, as the legend goes, she was dumped for Sharon Gless because the pairing was too harsh, or strident, or even because Daly and Foster came across as "a couple of dykes."

In any case, Gless and Daly made the show. I believe each won at least one Emmy (Daly won a bunch).

by Anonymousreply 123January 29, 2018 5:45 PM

Sorry, meant to post this link. Apparently the "dyke" story for why Foster was canned and Gless was hired is true. I also didn't know that the show was cancelled after the first full season with Gless, but saved by a fan campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 29, 2018 5:57 PM

Tyne Daly played Derek Shepherd's mother on Grey's Anatomy. I always wonder why she doesn't come to Seattle to see her grand children. I adore her in everything she's been in. Hell, I even watched a Clint Eastward movie just to see her. If she's not going to do a reboot or remake or whatever I sure hope at least she comes to GA a few times.

by Anonymousreply 125January 29, 2018 8:12 PM

I guess network executives have figured old people are the ones that watch tv. It makes sense to reboot shows they are very familiar with instead creating new shows. I am just waiting for the reboot of Gilligan's island and Andy Griffith show, why stop at shows popular more than thirty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 126January 29, 2018 9:38 PM

[bold]‘Cagney & Lacey’: ‘Grey’s Anatomy’s Sarah Drew & Michelle Hurd Set As The Leads Of CBS Reboot Pilot[/bold]

[quote]Less than a week after news broke that popular Grey’s Anatomy cast member Sarah Drew will be exiting the series at the end of the current 14th season, she has been tapped as co-lead Cagney in CBS’ Cagney & Lacey drama pilot. Blindspot alum Michelle Hurd has been cast as fellow co-lead Lacey in the reboot of the iconic 1980s police procedural.

[quote]Drew will play LAPD Detective Cagney, Lacey’s nimble and easygoing partner and protégée. Hurd’s Lacey is athletic, polished, a former high school track and field champion. Empathetic and straightforward, she’s the more experienced partner.

[quote]Lacey was conceived and written as African American in the reboot, which CBS TV Studios is co-producing with MGM Television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 14, 2018 2:41 PM

R127 That was quick.

by Anonymousreply 128March 14, 2018 2:52 PM

I loved Michelle Hurd in 'Ash vs Evil Dead' and in 'Daredevil' so I'm sure she'll pull this off. Gravitas is definitely not something she's lacking.

by Anonymousreply 129March 14, 2018 2:57 PM

Just learned Michelle Hurd is married to Garrett Dillahunt. Hollywood seems so small at times.

by Anonymousreply 130March 14, 2018 4:35 PM

Nobody will ever be better than Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless.

by Anonymousreply 131March 14, 2018 4:46 PM

Facts of Life reboot:

Over our Heads is now like an Apple store.

Ms. Garrett-Caitlyn Jenner

Blair-Kristen Bell

Jo-Sara Ramirez

Natalie-Melissa McCarthy

Beverly Ann-Amy Poehler

I need help casting Tootie.

by Anonymousreply 132March 14, 2018 5:00 PM

I KNEW one of the new Cagney and Lacey chicks would be a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 133March 14, 2018 5:13 PM

Was there anyone who thought they would both be white? Would seem weird to see that on TV in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 134March 14, 2018 5:27 PM

There's hardly an original idea left in TV land. They're just rebooting shit from the 70's and 80's now.

by Anonymousreply 135March 14, 2018 5:32 PM

R135 Don't forget the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 136March 15, 2018 4:22 PM

Netflixs new lost in space looks great with 2 hotties Ignacio serrochio and the dude from black sails. Love the bi daughter and the spit it of adventure, not campiness.

by Anonymousreply 137March 18, 2018 3:12 AM

I could see a successful reboot of The West Wing with either Allison Janney's CJ or Bradley Whitford's Josh as a newly-elected President. There would be a large new cast, but would be cameos and/or supporting roles to other former cast members, including Martin Sheen and Jimmy Smits as former Presidents maybe.

But Rob Lowe can't be in it too much. He was a bad fit.

by Anonymousreply 138March 18, 2018 5:52 PM

I want a visionary reboot of good times!m

by Anonymousreply 139March 18, 2018 5:59 PM

Actually r19 I think Octavia would be great in a Columbo reboot as Columbo. She could pull off the quirky Peter Faulk portrayal and would be believable as being underestimated crime solving genius.

by Anonymousreply 140March 18, 2018 6:06 PM

No r24 there is a lack of creative VISION in programming. They only want sure things, no risk. That is one of the reasons we only get super hero movies as well. Proven product, sure fire dollars.

by Anonymousreply 141March 18, 2018 6:08 PM

After thinking about it this might be the only way networks can compete with Amazon and Netflix. Give people shows and characters they loved and hope that will bring them the viewers. They are just staying on brand and letting the upstarts do the experimenting.

by Anonymousreply 142March 18, 2018 6:14 PM

Mork and Mindy

by Anonymousreply 143March 18, 2018 6:41 PM

If they could find really good writers, and if whoever controls the rights would make sure it would be done right, another go at The Twilight Zone could be worth it.

I know it's always a risk to reboot a classic, but Star Trek and, in a very different way, the Bond movie franchise prove it can be successful.

by Anonymousreply 144March 21, 2018 6:49 PM

Rob Lowe seems to exit fairly early a lot of the shows he was on. The West Wing exit was their decision.

by Anonymousreply 145March 21, 2018 6:52 PM

They should get Cody Christian to play the new Magnum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 21, 2018 6:52 PM

Jay Hernandez is the niew Thomas Magnum. Higgins is female.

damn, just make TC into a tranny FFS! Is Laverne Cox doing anything.

Great Idea: Small Wonder reboot where VIKI is a barely legal realdoll. Hijinks ensues.

by Anonymousreply 147March 21, 2018 7:07 PM

To me, the obvious choice seems like the Facts of Life. I know they tried to do it in the Series Finale with Blair taking over as Head Mistress. Now, in the reboot, Blair still owns the school. Jo teaches English at the school, and Tootie teaches drama, but they spend a great deal of time arguing with their boss, Blair. Natalie lives nearby. She's a journalist, and she often stops by to visit her daughter, who's a student at Eastland. At some point in the first season, there will be an episode where a weather emergency traps all four women to share a bedroom for a night.

by Anonymousreply 148March 21, 2018 10:02 PM

[quote]If they could find really good writers, and if whoever controls the rights would make sure it would be done right, another go at The Twilight Zone could be worth it.

Jordan Peele is rebooting The Twilight Zone.

by Anonymousreply 149March 22, 2018 2:29 AM

Facts of life blows.

by Anonymousreply 150March 22, 2018 4:10 AM

Would the girls go visit Mrs G at her retirement home for a very special Christmas episode?

by Anonymousreply 151March 22, 2018 4:13 AM

Cagney and Lacey got passed on but they picked up Magnum P.I.

by Anonymousreply 152May 12, 2018 1:40 AM

Where the actresses cast in the Cagney and Lacey butch?

by Anonymousreply 153May 12, 2018 3:49 AM

Not at all butch. Honestly if Cagney and Lacey is going to be remade they need to butch it up.

by Anonymousreply 154May 12, 2018 3:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!