Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Murder of Dominique Dunne

I thought she was great in"Poltergeist" and several small parts she played on tv. She was remembered as a lovely young lady who despite growing up amongst wealth and Hollywood privilege in BeverlyHills, she was down to earth and kind. Anyone here who knew her. She lived in West Hollywood when she was brutally strangled by her ex bf.

PS. she somewhat pinged to me, but hell if I know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 28, 2022 3:12 AM

Rewatching Poltergeist, it's interesting how they really don't know how to use her character in the storytelling. Each of the kids had a fear that was developed. The parents had scary sequences to endure as well. But the teenage girl just comes and goes from the storyline. As my writing teacher once said, use it or lose it. They should have lost her undeveloped character.

by Anonymousreply 1January 25, 2018 6:41 PM

Her father lost a ton of money back in the late 60s and the children didn't always have it easy. Actually most of the money was from the mother's side of the family. (And) Dominique' mother became an invalid when she (D) was still a child. Natalie Wood was a family friend and Dominique idolized her. She was a tiny little thing. Very tragic needless murder. Hollywood is a town that runs blood.

by Anonymousreply 2January 25, 2018 7:23 PM

"Natalie Wood was a family friend and Dominique idolized her. She was a tiny little thing"

Incidentally, Natalie is buried next to Dominique at a Westwood Cemetery.

by Anonymousreply 3January 25, 2018 8:16 PM

She was so pretty too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2018 8:19 PM

I can't be the only gymnastics fan on here whose heart started beating when they thought this thread was about Dominique Dawes!!

by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2018 8:20 PM

Yeah her character in Poltergeist was pretty superfluous. The older brother in E.T. was less useless but still forgettable. Spielberg must have had an older but not especially influential older sibling he didn’t know how to utilize in his scripts (I’m assuming they were inspired by his own childhood.)

by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2018 8:37 PM

She still stood out.She was so pretty and had a great line of "What's happening?!"

Jo Beth Williams was very fond of her .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2018 8:58 PM

Tragic story. Didn't the murderer serve less than 5 years?

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2018 10:17 PM

He served 2 and half years at a minimum security prison. Wolfgang Puck paid for his legal counsel .

by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2018 10:21 PM

Really, R9? When did that come out? I know that, after the killer was released and got another restaurant job, Dominique's family and friends passed out flyers in front of the restaurant saying “the hands that prepared your meal strangled Dominique Dunne to death.”

The restaurant got rid of him soon thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2018 10:27 PM

I read Dominick Dunne's account of her murder and the trial a few years ago. He was utterly scathing about the judge's handling of the trial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2018 10:36 PM

r10, yes. John Sweeny(may his name be cursed) was an assistant chef to the master at Ma Maison on Melrose. Puck owned that establishment. The saddest thing is both Sweeny and Dominique were up and comers in their respective careers .

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2018 10:38 PM

She had a juicier role as Miss Charlene Tilton's BFF in the classic TV movie [italic]Diary of a Teenage Hitchhiker.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 25, 2018 10:42 PM

It was shocking because Poltergeist was such a huge hit and even though she didn't have much to do, the audience was charmed by her.

Only a couple of months prior, Theresa Saldana had almost been killed by an obsessive stalker as well.

by Anonymousreply 14January 25, 2018 10:49 PM

Right @r14 And Teresa was also living in West Hollywood or the Hollywood border. Wow!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15January 25, 2018 10:51 PM

Rebecca Schaeffer too...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 25, 2018 10:57 PM

Domique's murder was a bit different from Shaefer and Saldono . Dom was killed by a former BF who abused her throughout their relatively short relationship (although they moved in together pretty quickly after dating) The final deal breaker was when he strangled her in their bedroom WHILE there were friends spending the night. Her injuries were so visible and shocking , she had pics taken and she played a battered teen on "HILL St Blues " needing no makeup.

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2018 11:02 PM

Rebecca Schaeffer' was murdered by an obsessed fan/ stalker. He was able to use information from the DMV to find out where Rebecca lived, and that is where he killed her.

Schaeffer's death led to California passing the nation's first anti-stalking laws. The DMV stopped releasing personal information.

LAPD has a special anti-stalking unit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2018 1:36 AM

[quote] She lived in West Hollywood when she was brutally strangled by her ex bf.

As opposed to being [italic]delicately[/italic] strangled by her ex bf???

I would think all stranglings are brutal.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2018 1:43 AM

She had a quality, but her career was forgettable...

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2018 3:45 AM

"She had a quality, but her career was forgettable..."

That's because she never had a chance to live and continue to act. She was playing the character of "Robin" on the V miniseries . Her male co star was with her the night she was murdered and was too afraid to help her.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2018 5:14 PM

Didn't her gay BFF hide while she was being strangled?

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2018 5:21 PM

David Packer is not gay! And they were rehearsing scenes for their show V

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2018 5:28 PM

sHE WAS good friends with Miguel Fererrer

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2018 5:30 PM

Krysten Ritter and Katie Holmes resemble her

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2018 5:38 PM

That movie is Spooked! Theresa Saldana Attacked Dominique Dunne Murdered and no one mentioned Heather O'Rourke's Death. I find this rather strange. Makes me shudder and really look at the movie in an entirely different way. Brrr. That is the only SS movie I have seen. It would be interesting for someone to do a movie around all three deaths. A whodunit of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2018 7:46 PM

Was Saldana in Poltergeist? R26

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2018 8:56 PM

The reason that Dominique's character seems so out of place in Poltergeist is because the movie is a mess. At the time of its release, it was rumored that Spielberg had taken the riens of directing away from Tobe Hooper. Watch the film carefully... it can't decide if it wants to be a real, graphic horror film (Hooper) or a scary movie set in suburban California (Spielberg).

In the final editing together of two different visions, Dunne's character gets left behind, the focus shifting to Carol Ann and to some extent the mother and older bother.

Dunne was talented and in the early stages of her career. I hope there's a special place in hell for the bf... say, in the afterlife, he'll be violently strangled to death every evening only to wake up the next day with memory of what happened. That way he's always terrified when attacked.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2018 9:09 PM

Would not be surprised if Dominique knew something about Heather being abused during the filming. Oh just look it up, what H died of, what H's character's name was in the sitcom HDays. You want to get spooked do your research.

Yes, poor Dominique and poor Heather.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2018 9:22 PM

r29, I still question her parents not taking her to hospital . She was sickly looking and couldn't even attend P.E. the Friday before she died.,.

by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2018 9:25 PM

The Fonz gave her a virus?

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2018 9:30 PM

Sorry I said in #26 that Theresa Saldana was in the movie too. My Mistake. It is still very spooky that two of the stars died. One was murdered that we know of and the other Heather O has always been questioned by many. Yes, look it up. There was a very interesting Blind on CDandN. The answers are very telling.

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2018 9:33 PM

Link for the lazy R32

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2018 9:35 PM

They say the use of real skeletons in the pool scene created the poltergeist curse.

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2018 9:37 PM

Heather O died from cardiac arrest brought on by septic shock caused by an obstruction in her bowel. There is no big conspiracy about her death. I saw the last movie she made and she looked awful.

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2018 9:37 PM

Yes r35 but there are some crack pots on the internets who say she was raped by studio executives and somehow got an obstruction to her bowel because of it.

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2018 9:39 PM

Yes, r35, she looked ghastly pale and bloated. The day before she died(a sunday) she was vomiting profusely and so sick that she crawled in bed with her parents(at age 12) Her parents should have taken her to ER KNOWING she had a condition .

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2018 9:41 PM

Yeah, I know and one of those crackpots hangs out here and connects everything to child sex rings.

by Anonymousreply 38January 26, 2018 9:41 PM

Heather adored Henry Winkler. Henry, along with Speilberg, Craig T Nelson among others were pall bearers at her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2018 9:42 PM

r32 Yeah there's nothing fucking spooky about an actress dating a creep, it happens all the time and Heather had been sick, get a load of her white trash Santee parents and you'll have your answer about why they didn't take her to the hospital. Stop it, you are making actual curious people look like kooky tin hats like you.

by Anonymousreply 40January 26, 2018 9:43 PM

Heather dressed in rags and her family always lived in seedy areas. I wonder if they spent her money on drugs

by Anonymousreply 41January 26, 2018 9:45 PM

She didn’t make much money

by Anonymousreply 42January 26, 2018 9:45 PM

Sweeney changed his name to John Patrick Maura. He is in charge of dining services at a retirement community in San Rafael California called Smith Ranch Homes.

by Anonymousreply 43January 26, 2018 9:47 PM

Dolph Sweeney?

by Anonymousreply 44January 26, 2018 9:49 PM

Can you imagine if someone killed your kid or anyone you loved and the murderer only got 2 1/2 years? The rage I would feel.

by Anonymousreply 45January 26, 2018 9:54 PM

We can think of something worse r45

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 26, 2018 10:07 PM

She didn’t make much money

Uh, she made about $ 300,000 (1980's ) with Poltergeist series alone. She did a lot of commercials and Happy Days.

by Anonymousreply 47January 26, 2018 10:12 PM

This is Sweeney now allegedly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2018 10:34 PM

Awww. I read about Sweet Dominique Dunne. She was reading lines for the mini series V with a co star. Her ex came over wanting to talk. They started on the front porch and he got mad and dragged her to the back driveway area....the friend (a big guy) heard the commotion and went outside....saw the bf strangling her in the back and ran back inside scared. I think he called 911. The bf got almost no time. It was sickening. He changed his name and just went on with his life, a chef... Her guy friend.....why didn't he grab a knife and go stop it? I dunno. Maybe I'm misremembering.

by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2018 10:40 PM

That’s not that much for a family of four to live on for a decade, R47

by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2018 10:40 PM

r49, he violently dragged her by the neck across the entire yard. David Sweeney, her costar and a person in her home when this evil occurred, was not a "big guy" He was essentially a young twink much smaller in stature than Sweeney. Sweeney was so enraged against women in general.

by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2018 10:47 PM

R51 david packer was her wimpy co star. Sweeney was her murderer ex

by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2018 11:01 PM

r52, that was my point.. I do believe Packer was terrified of Sweeney based on the sounds he heard, but he should have done something.

by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2018 11:02 PM

Should have brought a pistol

by Anonymousreply 54January 26, 2018 11:03 PM

Have any other women accused Sweeney of violence since he has been out of jail?

by Anonymousreply 55January 26, 2018 11:05 PM

Strange that she got involved with that rotten creep John Sweeney. Maybe she felt sorry for him. She had a thing for the underdog, literally; she had several crippled pets.

Sweeney had a history of violence against women. He had roughed up previous girlfriends. But no testimony like that was allowed in court. His sleazy lawyer came up with this defense: it was all HER fault. This spoiled rich girl toyed with the affections of the poor working class Sweeney and then dumped him. Who wouldn't get angry over a thing like that? Of course, he got a little out of control (he strangled her to death) but it was a crime of passion and SHE provoked it. So show a little mercy to the poor guy, why don't you? The jury did. They found him guilty of manslaughter and he got a tap on the wrist. Where is Sweeney today? Probably making delicious meals in some tony restaurant and whacking around women who have no better sense than to get involved with the crazy clod.

by Anonymousreply 56January 26, 2018 11:15 PM

I never got why they even put her character in the original film. She is always just leaving to go be with friends.

Plus the really odd part is that they say she is 16 and Jobeth Williams is 32. So the mother was a teenage mother? It just seemed to go against the whole typical suburban family they were trying to present.

In the sequel made after she died they just completely eliminated her character from the script, no mention of her whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2018 11:19 PM

Plus the really odd part is that they say she is 16 and Jobeth Williams is 32. So the mother was a teenage mother? It just seemed to go against the whole typical suburban family they were trying to present.

Uh the pot smoking bed scene with mom and dad?

by Anonymousreply 58January 26, 2018 11:21 PM

we think alike r58!!!!

by Anonymousreply 59January 26, 2018 11:24 PM

r56 is the personification of a brit nancy boy. I hope he is being facetious . Dominique "met" Sweeney at a party at Ma Maison. He was the assistant 2 the master chef and made a bee line towards her. He shared with her a love of languages, travel and cooking and he probably lied also love for animals . She was so far from a snob. She was a good soul, who was naive and felt compassion for this narcissist who hates women and manipulates the hell out of them.

by Anonymousreply 60January 26, 2018 11:24 PM

and in the sequel it would have been so easy to throw in a line about how Dana called from college or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 61January 26, 2018 11:24 PM

A rich girl like her from a prominent family and she dated a cook? Poor mixed up troubled girl. The class system is there for our protection. We advice all young women to use it.

by Anonymousreply 62January 26, 2018 11:26 PM

r59, Kisses

by Anonymousreply 63January 26, 2018 11:27 PM

R57 Jobeth williams and Craig T Nelson were supposed to be the hip young weed smoking couple. High school sweethearts who got knocked up young. Jobeths character tried to act like "cool mom" or friend to Dominique instead of strict old square mother.

by Anonymousreply 64January 26, 2018 11:27 PM

r64, I also got the impression that Diane(Jo Beth) was more into her younger kids than her teen. But that is not un common lol

by Anonymousreply 65January 26, 2018 11:29 PM

" I hope he is being facetious . "

Oh, for crap's sake I was just relating what Sweeney's lawyer wanted the jury to believe, that she was a spoiled rich girl who fucked over the poor working class slob (although he was a chef in an upscale restaurant he came from humble beginnings). What the lawyer said was bullshit, but it obviously worked as a defense because Sweeney got away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2018 12:55 AM

R58 They were ex hippies who got knocked up as teenagers. They didn't have the rest of their kids until they were in their 20s.

In Poltergeist 2, originally there were references to her being away at college, but those scenes ended up on the cutting room floor along with another 20 minutes of footage.

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2018 2:21 AM

She would have been at the least a relatively successful actress. The world was robbed and she lost her life so young!!! He took all that life from her.

by Anonymousreply 68January 30, 2018 9:10 PM

John Sweeney / Maura moved to Seattle after he was released and worked for years as a chef at Palamino, one of Restaurant Unlimited’s brands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 30, 2018 9:25 PM

Sweeney was so ugly . Dominique ‘s talent was incredible. She had such range in the few projects I saw her in. She was sublime. I also thought she pinged. She had great chemistry with Charlene Tilton in “ Diary of teen hitchhiker “. They became good friends in real life as well.

by Anonymousreply 70February 12, 2019 10:10 AM

Dominique played Valerie Harper’s daughter in a TV movie with Ally Sheedy and Dennis Weaver. She and Valerie had great chemistry. Dominique stood out in every role.

by Anonymousreply 71March 4, 2019 7:05 AM

Dominique also had a guest appearance on Fame. She is heartbreaking in this clip as her character doesn't have the chops to make into the school but she tries anyway. The quality of the clip is not very good but Dominque's performance is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 4, 2019 7:25 AM

Was West Hollywood predominantly gay back in early 80’s? Dominique’s house was right off Melrose. I am curious if it was a gay orhood back then.

by Anonymousreply 73March 4, 2019 7:29 AM

R72, that was a great performance. The actress who played Doris was heartbroken when Dominique died. They were friends from acting class. Dominique was very kind and beloved. So far from a snob. Very down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 74March 4, 2019 7:32 AM

Her friend called the police and the officer said they werent in his jurisdiction or something along those lines. He escaped out a back window fearing for his life.

Sweeney made up a bunch of crap about trying to kill himself then and there but there was no evidence he did. The police think he strangled her for a full 5 minutes. So nice to think he’s looking after the elderly.

by Anonymousreply 75March 4, 2019 8:20 AM

That “friend “ was actor David Packer who was too much of a wuss to help her. Sweeney truly got away with murder. He is a ticking time bomb

by Anonymousreply 76March 4, 2019 8:24 AM

I agree R76, not much of a ‘friend’ but I think he was right to feel his life could also be in danger. My instinct would be to grab something heavy and attack Sweeney but not everyone is that brave. Anyway this is a case where every detail is infuriating and her family were right to be so angry. It makes my blood boil to this day.

by Anonymousreply 77March 4, 2019 8:37 AM

Wolfgang Puck never owned Ma Maison, that was Patrick Terrail. He was the chef.

And yes, WeHo was predominantly gay back in the 80s, but lots of what would now be called hipsters because it was a good location near everything.

by Anonymousreply 78March 4, 2019 8:38 AM

Dominique was gay friendly. She always had great chemistry with her female costars then male ones. Her scenes with Charlene Tilton in “ hitchhiker “ were so homoerotic

by Anonymousreply 79March 4, 2019 8:43 AM

She was in the prime of her life. Embarking on a promising acting career with her whole life ahead of her. DD was so passionate about her craft. Sweeney would show up on set which made her nervous. He followed her around always with a suspicious mind. I believe he was not only physically abusive, but psychologically and emotionally harmful. Her poor last year of her life.😭

by Anonymousreply 80March 4, 2019 3:49 PM

She was so cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 4, 2019 4:07 PM

Dominique would have been a star! Rumors are that either George Clooney or Dominique’s dad ruined David Packer’s career. Dominique was good friends with Miguel Ferrer. They grew up together in Beverly Hills. Carrie fisher was Griffin ‘s bff and former roommate. Carrie was at Dominique funeral.

by Anonymousreply 82March 4, 2019 4:47 PM

Dominique was a slight tomboy with a lot of guy friends.

by Anonymousreply 83March 4, 2019 5:25 PM

She was a remarkable young lady. What a tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 84March 4, 2019 10:58 PM

When IMDB still had its message boards, every thread about David Packer was about him not doing enough to help Dominique. In a way, it's sad because Packer was really an innocent bystander. But yes, he could have and should have done more.

r82 I cannot recall if it was a thread about Packer on IMDB or an interview with Ferrer himself, but he really resented Packer and when the topic of him came up, Ferrer was quite hostile.

by Anonymousreply 85March 5, 2019 12:36 AM

I agree with Miguel

by Anonymousreply 86March 5, 2019 1:53 AM

Packer was a pussy! He knew Dominique was terrified of Sweeney. I believe Dom invited him over to rehearse lines as an added protection from Sweeney who worked down the street from her home. I still don’t understand why Dominique went outside to talk to Sweeney. Did she feel safe because Packer was there ? Sweeney chocked her so violently for 5 minutes. That’s serious rage. He dragged her across the yard.

by Anonymousreply 87March 5, 2019 5:39 PM

I’m not risking my life for a co-worker from a murderous psycho. I’ll call the police, but you don’t know if someone has a gun or a knife. Some of you arm chair heroes would not go in like John Wayne like you are claiming you would.

by Anonymousreply 88March 5, 2019 6:11 PM

^^^Right! I was JUST typing this! Were Packer and her really close friends like that? It doesn't sound like it. If I was over an actress' house that I just started working with, running lines, and her psycho boyfriend (that has a history of abusing her and she stays with him) showed up I wouldn't have even stayed while they went outside. I would have said, "this looks like a personal matter. I'll just leave you two lovebirds alone." and be out! ✌ I'm not getting involved in your ike and tina bullshit. fuck outta here.

by Anonymousreply 89March 5, 2019 6:16 PM

Getting into the middle of a straight couple fight involving a psycho wifebeater is always a good idea!

by Anonymousreply 90March 5, 2019 6:22 PM

There are times when you help people, and there are times *if* you help people, you might get killed, so you *don’t* help people.

by Anonymousreply 91March 5, 2019 9:42 PM

Yeah I feel kinda bad for this Packer dude. He has the scorn of a lot of people but what was he supposed to do??? Sounds like he was terrified and most people have a sense of self preservation . All you Marky Marks on here saying you would’ve saved the day. Right.

by Anonymousreply 92March 5, 2019 10:02 PM

Only a gay man would defend Packer.

by Anonymousreply 93March 5, 2019 10:52 PM

Okay, which one of you bitches did this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 5, 2019 11:09 PM

Dominique Dunne was memorable in that little bit of a role in Poltergeist, and in her bit part on Fame.

The essay Dunne wrote for Vanity Fair about the trial for his daughter's murder is a harrowing read even after all these years.

The Dunnes had to endure the brutal murder of their young daughter, a trial where key evidence against the murderer was deliberately withheld and ultimately see justice denied them. The murderer was and is unremorseful, if he were truly repentant he would have accepted the punishment whatever it was rather than wiggle out of the sentence and categorize his crime as a crime of passion and the victim as someone who "made him do it".

And the Judge?

A miserable fuckup.

by Anonymousreply 95March 6, 2019 12:16 AM

Dominique’s scene from the original V miniseries where she finds her father after the base camp attack used to be on YouTube. Her take on the Robin character wouldn’t have been a vapid valley girl.

by Anonymousreply 96March 6, 2019 2:03 AM

I worked with her when she did the "Breaking Away" series in Athens when I was in school (with Shaun Cassidy, no less) and remember her sitting in a diner booth singing "Turning Japanese" over and over between set-ups. Very cute, nice raspy voice too. Years later when I moved to LA, I was surprised to look up at my TV with no sound up and see her face on the news (it took a couple of days for her to die, I think).

That court case was also famous for the prosecution setting a timer and letting the room sit in silence for the entire three to five minutes that Dominique was strangled so they could see it went on for an eternity. Still didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 97March 6, 2019 2:18 AM

R96 - I was thinking that too.

by Anonymousreply 98March 6, 2019 2:52 AM

I dislike Trial by Twitter, but if this happened today, Sweeney would have been crucified (understandably).

by Anonymousreply 99March 6, 2019 3:28 AM

Sweeney's life should be ruined, but it isn't. I would love to see protests at the old folks home. Why do those geezers tolerate his employment there?

by Anonymousreply 100March 6, 2019 3:33 AM

R97, I heard Dominique was funny. She was super cute. I saw a couple of episodes of Breaking Away on YouTube. Sean Cassidey seemed enchanted by her in scenes together. Any other memories of her on set?

by Anonymousreply 101March 6, 2019 2:08 PM

R96, Dominique got deep into her roles. I believe V would have been her real launch to stardom considering how big of a hit it was. The defense and Sweeney on the witness stand tried to ruin Dominique’s reputation, make her look like a stuck up rich girl who broke the heart of her working class boyfriend. Nothing could be further from the truth. She was down to Earth, kind and very vulnerable as Sweeney was her first boyfriend at age 21. Poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 102March 6, 2019 2:13 PM

There's a John Maura on Twitter whose feed is exclusively retweeted fundie-Christian stuff. If it's him, I wouldn't be surprised if he's all "Jesus forgave me, so it's cool."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 6, 2019 2:39 PM

r100 They don't know is the short answer. When I called the front desk to verify that was indeed the place where he worked, they were very short with me. I got two answers: They were indeed aware of who he was, and due to privacy/legal issues, the "residents" are not informed beforehand. They have to ask directly if a particular worker has a criminal history, apparently, and not many are going to know to ask that specific question about a specific staff member.

This thread is heating me up to make that visit I've been wanting to do for years.

by Anonymousreply 104March 6, 2019 2:43 PM

R104 Can I have your stuff after he kills you?

by Anonymousreply 105March 6, 2019 2:46 PM

Sure r105 It would be an honor. Obviously, I have had concerns for my safety which is why I haven't manned up yet, but I swear I will someday.

I'm not the only one out for this fucker. I wonder how many of "us" chimed in on this review board:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 6, 2019 2:59 PM

I liked this one in particular:

"I wanted to report this comment for abuse, but then realized it wasn't even a fraction of the abuse committed by John Maura"

by Anonymousreply 107March 6, 2019 3:02 PM

R106, Dominique is smiling at you from the next world. I would take the tour and specifically ask about dining services, so you will be introduced to Sweeney who is head honcho. Just get a glimpse of how his demeanor is etc. then report back. I hope Dominique haunts him .

by Anonymousreply 108March 6, 2019 4:18 PM

R,106 read the comments made me smile. Why is this bastard still employed there making way over $100,000 annually?!!

by Anonymousreply 109March 6, 2019 5:17 PM

Dominique was so well liked that the church in Beverly Hills was packed and standing room only for her funeral. These were people who knew her and loved her.

by Anonymousreply 110March 6, 2019 7:14 PM

Can you post fliers R104? Do the residents have letter boxes? Do it!

by Anonymousreply 111March 6, 2019 8:15 PM

I like this. Leave it to the ghost of Dominick to sick DL on his ass decades later. He's not gong to know what hit him.

by Anonymousreply 112March 6, 2019 8:39 PM

This would be great material for a future season of ACS.

by Anonymousreply 113March 6, 2019 8:41 PM

This is the year of Karma for the evil people who have gotten away with evil shit for decades.

by Anonymousreply 114March 6, 2019 9:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Unfortunately fliers and the like are a no go. With my luck I'd get thrown in the clink for longer than he did. I have to be really careful because there are SO many laws I could be breaking. They could get me on being on private property, or for stalking. I can't post flyers because a: cameras are everywhere and I stick out (tall, not fat, bitches) and b: it's illegal to post flyers out here (I know, so lame). Sending things through the mail could nail me on god knows what charges. (Thanks to Jussie, I have learned a lot about "mail don'ts".) I don't have any living parents, so if they check that to see if my tour is legit, I would not pass. I am an eldergay, but not quite that elderly so I don't know if I could pass for "checking out this joint, SPECIFICALLY THE DINING SITUATION, for me in my later years". But that might be the only way in.

I can't possibly be the first person to try and get in this fucker's face. My guess is they keep him pretty undercover. The sick part is they probably protect this vile cunt more from people like me than they protect the residents from people like him.

by Anonymousreply 115March 6, 2019 9:26 PM

r115, I think Sweeney is a master manipulator . He certainly manipulated Dominique and his previous GF. I can only imagine what he tells the staff at the old folks community. I understand your concerns. I want to know if Sweeney ever married or has a woman in his life. This man has a hair trigger temper and will hurt someone again. I hope he gets jumped .

by Anonymousreply 116March 6, 2019 10:10 PM

Maybe safety in numbers? A DL meetup location for the ages!

by Anonymousreply 117March 6, 2019 10:16 PM

I picture a sea of caftons and ear bobs.

by Anonymousreply 118March 6, 2019 10:19 PM

Caftans, of course. Then we can all meet at the grave of Jani Layne later. "Sisters of the Moon".

by Anonymousreply 119March 6, 2019 10:20 PM

That actually is a great idea r117 . In the era of #METOO this would be a positive thing. I want Dominique to be remembered for who she was as a human being , not just the girl who was murdered by her ex BF. She was so robbed and so was her family.

by Anonymousreply 120March 6, 2019 10:21 PM

Griffin is still with us too. Sure he'd join in on his dad's behalf.

by Anonymousreply 121March 6, 2019 10:23 PM

Dominque's two brothers and her dad seriously talked about revenge on Sweeney. Their Catholic upbringing prevented them from carrying it out. But Nick Dunne hired a P.I. to track Sweeney down and keep tabs on him. When Sweeney became engaged to a woman(doctor's daughter, see a pattern ?) Griffin called her and let he know who he really was. She broke off the engagement .

by Anonymousreply 122March 6, 2019 10:26 PM

I wonder why Griffin never arranged a hit on him? One would think he would have the resources.

by Anonymousreply 123March 6, 2019 10:27 PM

When Sweeney was in the back seat of the cop car after killing Dominque (she essentially died that night) He said "I fucked up again....." What did he mean by "again" Did he kill before? He had a history of violence towards people and objects. He ripped a payphone out of its socket in a rage in France .

by Anonymousreply 124March 6, 2019 10:29 PM

r122 thanks for the info. I didn't see your post. Catholics believe in absolution. Couldn't they just confess the sin?

by Anonymousreply 125March 6, 2019 10:29 PM

Dominique's family was destroyed by her murder. Her mom already crippled with MS died in her 60's needing round the clock care and was unable to speak or move.. Her brother Alex(2 yrs older) was so broken by her death that he suffered serious mental health issues after. She and Alex were very close, best friends even. Her dad said he did not know what the word DEVASTATION was until her murder. All so heartbreaking .. AND the killer got away with it ..

by Anonymousreply 126March 6, 2019 10:34 PM

Here are the Yelp reviews. 3 displayed reviews all about Maura. Good.

What is funny is one of the non displayed reviews complains about the food!

This is the worst place where you can have a family member. Worst food service. This place allows employees to have an affair and never do anything, just because they do not have staff. They fired the good employees and they stay with those who only want to kiss the bosses' buttocks. Busser harass cooks, dishwashers, etc., and talk about sexuality during work hours and although human resources and supervisors know what happens there, they do not do anything

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 6, 2019 10:44 PM

No wonder Sweeney fits in there r127.

by Anonymousreply 128March 6, 2019 10:54 PM

I found where he lives. Total dump, and that is fairly hard to do in the neighborhood he is in. Actually where he lived before this was in a very posh area of Marin, about a half of a mile from where my boss lives (!) Maybe he snagged a rich woman and it "didn't work out" *cough*

You are loved Dominique.

by Anonymousreply 129March 6, 2019 11:06 PM

From another thread:

Her dad would tear up when he talked about Dominique. He also showed total justifiable rage at the killer as well as the judge and defense attorneys. Her last words to Mr Dunne the night before she was strangled “ I love you daddy”. 😭

by Anonymousreply 130March 6, 2019 11:06 PM

"I like this. Leave it to the ghost of Dominick to sick DL on his ass decades later. He's not gong to know what hit him."

He would love this! That was his darling daughter. His only surviving daughter. Dominque had a older sister who died a few weeks after birth, also called Dominque(I don't think that was right) and a sister who died in early infancy when DD was three years old :( So she was treasured by her family.

by Anonymousreply 131March 6, 2019 11:43 PM

Well, while a DL Meetup would be highly satisfying and fun, it isn't likely practical. But we can do some things from our chaise lounges. Mangle the facility on Yelp and that other place linked above. Call the front desk and ask them if it is true that "John Maura" still works there, and then respond as desired. (Extra points for throwing "grease fire" into the convo) That's what I am going to do for now, while I figure out a way to...shake his hand.

by Anonymousreply 132March 7, 2019 12:27 AM

I can't even imagine how their family still copes. I know it's going on 40 years but knowing how she died and that her killer basically walked free, living a life basically incognito - it's unfathomable. I don't think I would ever be able to let go of that anger and rage or comprehend the injustice.

by Anonymousreply 133March 7, 2019 12:39 AM

Griffin said in an interview back in the 80’s that the lite sentence and the malicious lies attacking Dominique’s reputation left him with a bitterness that lingers.

by Anonymousreply 134March 7, 2019 12:51 AM

MA Maison went under shortly after her trial. Hollywood started boycotting because the owner paid for defense. What’s so infuriating is how Dominique, who was without question a kind, sweet lady and her memory was crapped on.

by Anonymousreply 135March 7, 2019 2:22 AM

he was entitled to counsel and a fair trial but he received far more than that!

the judge disallowed crucial testimony from another victim, why?

by Anonymousreply 136March 7, 2019 2:27 AM

R136, that’s the $64,000 question. If the jury had heard the testimony they would have found Sweeney guilty of at least second degree murder. Check this out while Sweeney ex gf testified to his horrid abuse that put her in the hospital a couple of times , Sweeney flew into a rage and lunged toward her until bailiffs caught him. The judge was consoling him.

by Anonymousreply 137March 7, 2019 3:30 AM

Horrifying r137 I don't get it. Wouldn't the Dunne's have had a fuck ton more pull than this Sweeny cunt? How did he catch such a break to the point of getting motherfucking huggies from the judge?

by Anonymousreply 138March 7, 2019 4:35 AM

Boys club

by Anonymousreply 139March 7, 2019 4:58 AM

Poor thing had one of the world's biggest gasbags for a dad.

by Anonymousreply 140March 7, 2019 5:10 AM

I liked her dad. He had quite a life and was a strong man. Dominique adored him

by Anonymousreply 141March 7, 2019 6:04 AM

I have a feeling that her killer has his Google Alerts going off.

by Anonymousreply 142March 7, 2019 8:35 AM

I am still waiting for karma to get him

by Anonymousreply 143March 7, 2019 4:40 PM

"We're DL and we helped!"

by Anonymousreply 144March 7, 2019 8:16 PM

A truly terrible crime worsened by the sentence the murderer side- stepped

by Anonymousreply 145March 8, 2019 12:09 AM

She had bedroom eyes and had such a good soul. She was very pretty too.

by Anonymousreply 146March 8, 2019 4:02 AM

Her soul is eternal. Her dad said Dominique was his guardian angel. I believe it

by Anonymousreply 147March 8, 2019 4:04 PM

I remember Dunne saying how, as the verdict was being read, he kept imagining his daughter screaming her famous line, "What's happening?!" A little dramatic but effective and made sense.

by Anonymousreply 148March 8, 2019 4:07 PM

Everyone loved her.

by Anonymousreply 149March 11, 2019 4:50 AM

I wish I could find The E True Hollywood Story about her life and murder on YouTube. It was very well done.

by Anonymousreply 150March 11, 2019 6:45 AM

More about the mother, Dominatrix Dunne, please.

by Anonymousreply 151March 11, 2019 7:07 AM

R150, me too.

by Anonymousreply 152March 13, 2019 2:23 AM

I got caught up in reading about this case earlier tonight.

Does anyone know anything about John Sweeny's background? It was mentioned above that his lawyer portrayed him as working class, but it seems odd to me (as a person who grew up working class) that a person with that background would become a fancy pants chef. So, was he really working class?

by Anonymousreply 153February 1, 2021 2:35 AM

R153, yes, from small town in Pennsylvania. He was oldest of six kids with a violent drunk father, who beat him and his mother regularly. Sweeney envied the elite and wanted a piece of the pie . He had a serious knack for cooking and became quite talented. He was and is a violent, jealous asshole however . Dominique, by all accounts was a lovable, kind and also very talented. He wouldn’t let her go .

by Anonymousreply 154July 23, 2021 4:37 AM

The world was better with her in it .

by Anonymousreply 155July 23, 2021 4:48 AM

[quote]So, was he really working class?

A chef / cook is typically a ghetto profession.

by Anonymousreply 156July 23, 2021 5:15 AM

Dominique was so beautiful . She had a glow to her .

by Anonymousreply 157July 23, 2021 6:03 AM

Anyone work with her or know her.? She was living in West Hollywood near Melrose .

by Anonymousreply 158July 23, 2021 2:03 PM

Dominique Dunn was on a late episode of FAMILY. She propositions Willy.

by Anonymousreply 159July 23, 2021 2:08 PM

She loved working with Kristy McNicol And considered her her favorite actress of her generation. They had great chemistry onscreen . I wonder if Kristy crushed on Dom ?

by Anonymousreply 160July 23, 2021 2:14 PM

Did you know that Dominique was close to Miguel Ferer ? He considered her his little sister . He was devastated by her death .

by Anonymousreply 161July 23, 2021 5:22 PM

Everyone loved Dominique. - Jo Beth Williams

by Anonymousreply 162July 24, 2021 1:12 AM

She was lovely . She was a visually captivating actress .

by Anonymousreply 163July 24, 2021 6:11 AM

[quote]When IMDB still had its message boards, every thread about David Packer was about him not doing enough to help Dominique. In a way, it's sad because Packer was really an innocent bystander. But yes, he could have and should have done more.

I'd be willing to bet no one has been harder on Packer all these years than he's likely been on himself. I can't imagine this hasn't haunted him every single day since it happened, wishing he had done something more to help her. Like others, I feel bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 164July 24, 2021 5:47 PM

John "Maura" is still working at the retirement village. His email address is jmaura@smithranchhomes.org. Maybe drop him a line, let him know you're thinking of him.

by Anonymousreply 165July 24, 2021 8:12 PM

In regard to Packer: a hero dies once a coward dies 1000 times.

by Anonymousreply 166July 24, 2021 8:22 PM

R166, yes! I do feel Packer feels tremendous shame and probably guilt. He was a wuss though.

by Anonymousreply 167July 24, 2021 8:38 PM

What Packer should have ended up dead too?

John Patrick Maura is a total psychopath and should be hounded till the rest of his days and so should this business for allowing him to work there. Sex offenders are marked for life shouldn't murderers be as well?

by Anonymousreply 168July 24, 2021 8:57 PM

Packer could have saved her. Dominique had a knife set in kitchen. There was a baseball bat . Packer wimped out.

by Anonymousreply 169July 24, 2021 9:14 PM

I would not let a friend or any other human being die without trying to help them. I feel worried about anyone around you.

by Anonymousreply 170July 24, 2021 9:40 PM

R170 I'm glad you are so happy to point the finger at Packer while Maura has been getting a big fat salary in San Rafael CA. for years and nobody in that community gives a flying fuck. Do you think he gives a flying fuck for killing Dominique? And Packer should live with guilt?

by Anonymousreply 171July 24, 2021 9:47 PM

Seek therapy.

by Anonymousreply 172July 24, 2021 9:49 PM

R171, is a contrarian troll .

by Anonymousreply 173July 24, 2021 9:52 PM

Sweeney is not a happy man.

by Anonymousreply 174July 24, 2021 9:52 PM

R172 andR173 live in Smith Ranch Homes and are very happy in the community. They have Maura over for barbecues whenever they have the chance.

by Anonymousreply 175July 24, 2021 9:56 PM

Lol R175 is an evil troll .

by Anonymousreply 176July 24, 2021 10:04 PM

That's right R176 Mr. Hero to the rescue.

by Anonymousreply 177July 24, 2021 10:16 PM

I remember the Fame episode she was in . She played a teen hooker that Doris took under her wing. Doris shows her where she's going to school and the young hooker is dazzled by the High School of the Performing Arts. Who wouldn't be? The student body is always singing and dancing in the halls, the school lunch room, etc. It's so exciting! She auditions by singing a song with Bruno doing his best to accompany her on the piano, The scene is excruciating because she has no talent at all and Debbie Allen's character, who is the teacher assigned to judge the audition, has to watch it in its entirety, her face kept carefully impassive in order to conceal her horror. The young hooker decides to go back to hooking but Doris manages to talk her out of it, telling her there are other possibilities out there for her besides the High School of the Performing Arts. I remember thinking Dominique Dunne's performance was very affecting. I think if she had lived she would have had a good career.

by Anonymousreply 178July 24, 2021 10:35 PM

Dominique was preternaturally talented . She really became her characters. So much depth in that young lady . She was also so visually alluring.

by Anonymousreply 179July 24, 2021 11:21 PM

Dominique could have modeled hair during gigs . Her hair was enviable, long, thick and silky . Her eyes were hypnotic.

by Anonymousreply 180July 25, 2021 1:56 AM

Between gigs lol

by Anonymousreply 181July 25, 2021 2:02 AM

Dunne claims he destroyed the career of the judge at Maura's trial but he never said what he did.

by Anonymousreply 182July 25, 2021 3:16 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 183July 25, 2021 3:37 AM

Check out Dominique in this TV movie . She plays the adult daughter of Valerie Harper and Dennis Weaver . Ally Sheedy plays her sister . Exceptional acting on Dominique part .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184July 25, 2021 2:28 PM

R48, that is Sweeney. What an ugly fuck . I hope that baby is not one of his kids or grandkids

by Anonymousreply 185February 7, 2022 3:31 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 186February 8, 2022 2:48 AM

She had the most soulful eyes and great laugh .

by Anonymousreply 187February 12, 2022 10:54 AM

Such a sad case

by Anonymousreply 188August 4, 2022 4:35 AM

Dominique was very talented and bright .

by Anonymousreply 189August 4, 2022 5:21 AM

David Packer was a fucking wuss coward !!

by Anonymousreply 190September 25, 2022 2:09 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 191September 28, 2022 3:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!