Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Prozac Nation" author Elizabeth Wurtzel has terminal cancer

But she insists she feels great about it.

"Do you know what I’m scared of? Nothing. Cancer just suits me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 16, 2018 5:15 PM

Good for her. Embrace it.

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2018 12:53 AM

She doesn't say it's terminal, op, unless I'm missing something

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2018 12:59 AM

Stage IV is terminal.

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2018 1:03 AM

My mistake . Thank you r3.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2018 1:07 AM

I wish I too were "afraid of nothing"

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2018 1:07 AM

[quote]I am a con artist and cancer is my final con.

Don't say she didn't warn you.

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2018 1:09 AM

Hey, OP, let us know when you have terminal illness, so we can have some fun.

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2018 1:13 AM

Why R7?

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2018 1:17 AM

Stage IV is not always terminal.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2018 1:19 AM

Read the article. She's still nuts.

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2018 1:22 AM

If it's so unremarkable for her, why bother writing about it?

by Anonymousreply 11January 21, 2018 1:27 AM

I don't care what she says, I really am sorry. I like her (and yes, I know she's a mess).

by Anonymousreply 12January 21, 2018 1:32 AM

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer with a prognosis of 18 months, that was summer 2010. A cousin was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in 2011, he died two years later.

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2018 1:36 AM

Did she try weed?

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2018 1:37 AM

She's tried everything R14.

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2018 1:41 AM

She's written about every damn thing in her life. I'm sure cancer does suit her - it's perfect for writing about.

by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2018 1:55 AM

Why must everyone advertise their diagnoses these days? It’s simply narcissistic to think it helps anyone else. I long for the bygone days of discretion where people dealt with their illnesses privately and with dignity. If they survived, great. If they didn’t, well no skin off our noses.

by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2018 2:07 AM

She specifically says her advanced cancer is not a death sentence (not terminal). She is on a daily pill, my mom is on a daily pill for stage 4 lung cancer and has been stable for coming up on 4 years. These targeted therapies work on a specific mutation of the cancer and can be effective for many years, though it will never be cured.

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2018 2:13 AM

Life expectancy for Stage IV breast cancer is 26 months.

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2018 2:40 AM

Back when the NY Observer was good (i.e. before it was bought crooked real estate scions married to same) Rich Cohen wrote a story about going to Miss Vera's Finishing School for Boys Who Want to be Girls. A highlight for us NYers was a brief scene where he was out, in drag, and ran into some publishing friends, including E. Wurtzel. Cohen was amazed at how super-cunty Wurtzel was to him when she thought he was a rival female.

by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2018 3:54 AM

[quote] I have cancer. Don't tell me you're sorry

None of us have a problem honoring your request, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2018 4:06 AM

she is and always was her messed up self.

she wrote about her life.

she told the truth and said what was real for her.

so, that does not make her a bitch. it makes her a bad ass bitch. i admire her veracity. few have it.

by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2018 5:00 AM

Still, if anyone ever anyone needed a quick smack in the mouth..............

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2018 5:06 AM

[quote] Why must everyone advertise their diagnoses these days? It’s simply narcissistic to think it helps anyone else. I long for the bygone days of discretion where people dealt with their illnesses privately and with dignity. If they survived, great. If they didn’t, well no skin off our noses.

Because believe it or not, it does help others. When I was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer 2 years ago, I wanted to read everything about anyone who made it through any kind of cancer, and I wanted to read about the ones who didn't. I wanted information, I wanted to know what to expect, what questions to ask, to know if I'd still have a sense of humor about it, how to deal with others, how to deal with myself... so many things. Sharing someone else's experience helped me greatly. I know there's no science to it; what works for some doesn't for others and just because one person beat it doesn't mean you will and vice versa. But goddamn, did it get me through some worrisome nights, especially when i was doubting staying on chemo because it was so horrible.

And even though Wurtzel comes off as a toxic cunt in that article, I'll bet her attitude helps someone else who needs to find that particular kind of "fuck you" strength to keep going.

by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2018 5:16 AM

I don't care for her at all but I hope the medication she's on helps her. Either to beat the cancer or to lessen the severity of the pain until she passes. Cancer truly sucks.

by Anonymousreply 25January 21, 2018 5:29 AM

Well said, r24, and best of luck to you. Here's to your "fuck you" strength!

by Anonymousreply 26January 21, 2018 5:35 AM

I recall that her Prozac Nation cover photo was the result of her publisher saying to make her look "depressed but fuckable", and though I hate her writing, it gave me empathy for her.

by Anonymousreply 27January 21, 2018 6:20 AM

W&W, R24.

Wurtzel herself is a raging narcissist, but dismissing the entire online community of cancer patients as "simply narcissistic" is even more noxious than anything that bitch ever wrote.

by Anonymousreply 28January 21, 2018 6:42 AM

R23: well, don't we ALL ????

"Everyone has a plan-----until they get hit in the mouth"----Mike Tyson

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2018 6:54 AM

I knew her slightly in college--I was in the year ahead of her, and she lived in a different dorm, but she hung out in mine all the time. She was considered completely toxic even then. Even to be friends with her was to put yourself in emotional harm's way because she was so manipulative and needy and demanding. A mutual friend who knew her better once summarized her to me thus: "Not only is she always thinking 'me, me, me,' but she's thinking you must be thinking about her all the time too, and if you aren't, she becomes absolutely furious."

by Anonymousreply 30January 21, 2018 7:17 AM

I don't have a problem with her writing about her cancer, but I do have a problem with her literally shaming ("They should be ashamed") other people with cancer who aren't "cool" enough to have her "bad-ass" attitude. How other people cope with their cancer is none of her business.

by Anonymousreply 31January 21, 2018 1:12 PM

I somehow dodged her in the early 90s. Everyone insisted she was an IMPORTANT writer who was PROVOCATIVE.

by Anonymousreply 32January 21, 2018 1:27 PM

Good for you R13! Best Wishes and strength to continue your fight!

by Anonymousreply 33January 21, 2018 1:29 PM

[quote] I somehow dodged her in the early 90s. Everyone insisted she was an IMPORTANT writer who was PROVOCATIVE.

Her writing boils down to: ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME.

I wish her well and hope her journey, whatever it is, is as pain free as possible. But as a writer? She's already had far more attention than her meager talents and capabilities ever deserved.

by Anonymousreply 34January 21, 2018 1:31 PM

If there was a way to make the cacerous cells read one of her books, the tumours would jump straight out of her ass and flee like the devil was after them.

by Anonymousreply 35January 21, 2018 1:32 PM

W&W R35

by Anonymousreply 36January 21, 2018 1:34 PM

You missed nothing but her whining, complaining, blaming everyone else for every issue in her life and heaps of pretentiousness.

by Anonymousreply 37January 21, 2018 1:34 PM

R24, very well said! Hope you continue to win your fight too. Brave of you to tell that weasel off!

by Anonymousreply 38January 21, 2018 1:35 PM

Sorry, my comment at R37 was for R32.

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2018 1:35 PM

Jackie Collins had stage 4 breast cancer for 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2018 1:39 PM

I've had two stage 4 friends recover completely, one Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, one invasive ductal carcinoma...... My mother "beat" a terminal Sisto-Sarcoma of the breast too. All three are alive and well YEARS later, cancer free

by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2018 1:43 PM

Did she try Prozac?

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2018 1:43 PM

She's Brett Easton Ellis with a (physical) pussy. If you like things like 'Less than Zero' you might like her stuff.

by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2018 1:59 PM

It's probably easy to have her attitude when she can afford the magic cancer treatment that's a daily pill that costs $12K a month. Perhaps not every woman with Stage IV breast cancer is so fortunate.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2018 2:02 PM

Plus, she's also got ER+ HER2+ cancer, so she actually can respond to Ibrance, Gleevec, or Tamoxifen. Fuck those losers who have triple negative tumors and their lousy attitudes.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2018 2:06 PM

Thank you, kind sir or madame R33.

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2018 6:51 PM

Last I heard she was getting married. But that cancer article reads like she's single. Did she get a divorce?

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2018 8:04 PM

Wasn't she fired from a bigshot law firm for being an unreliable cunt?

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2018 8:20 PM

She claims it was an amicable parting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2018 8:29 PM

Sure, just as cancer is amicably parting her from life.

by Anonymousreply 50January 21, 2018 8:33 PM

Cancer....that's hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 51January 21, 2018 8:56 PM

RE parting from the law firm: She said in a subsequent magazine or other piece, that she was working for Boies again. Maybe on a piecework/contract basis, who knows. And subsequent to that, NYT did a "Vows" write-up saying David Boies officiated as minister at her wedding, on the rooftop of a Soho loft. The wedding was after she went through a year or more of radiation and chemo, double mastectomy, and reconstruction, following an initial breast cancer diagnosis at Stage 2. In the initial diagnosis, she learned for the first time she was in the small group of women with the gene Angelina Jolie has, and has since been very vocal about the need for Ashkenzai Jews (a goodly proportion of those with this gene), to have genetic screening.

Yes, she remains happily married. You can see snaps of her pretty darned happy life on her publically available (natch) Instagram. She's a big dog person, and there's lots of that.

The recent, new diagnosis that moves her from the so-called "survivor" column to the "Stage IV" aka, "advanced breast cancer" aka, "MBC [metastatisc breast cancer]" status occurred recently, when a spot was found on a bone. With breast cancer, Stage IV/advanced/MBC is defined as, it has moved to another organ or site. And it can and does occur in women who were told their treatment years earlier for an initial diagnosis was successful. Some women are living for years with MBC/Stage IV using various drugs. Elizabeth Edwards was a high-profile instance.

Gotta give respect and props for the Guardian piece. She basically admits she's spent a lifetime being insufferable, got better (OK, for this person getting better is relative, but . . . ), and now has had this happen, and it's not fair, but she's not gonna hang her head in shame or have a pity party about it.

by Anonymousreply 52February 15, 2018 2:22 AM

What a toxic, dreadful person.

by Anonymousreply 53February 15, 2018 2:30 AM

R43, now THAT'S a low blow!

by Anonymousreply 54February 15, 2018 3:24 AM

She convinced me that she is an insufferable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 55February 15, 2018 3:37 AM

Thanks for the Instagram lead, r52. She's friends with Ronan Farrow! I bet she reminds him of his insane mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 15, 2018 4:44 AM

"Cancer, schmancer! I'm gonna live forever..."

by Anonymousreply 57February 15, 2018 5:36 AM

R13 Did you change your diet? How did you survive the disease?

by Anonymousreply 58February 15, 2018 5:48 AM

In complete denial.

by Anonymousreply 59February 15, 2018 10:12 AM

Up next: Chemo Nation.

by Anonymousreply 60February 15, 2018 12:30 PM

She's had Cancer for a while. She's milking it for sympathy and relevance. She and Valerie Harper should go on the road together.

by Anonymousreply 61February 15, 2018 7:18 PM

Wow R41, congratulations to them!

by Anonymousreply 62February 15, 2018 8:18 PM

This reminds me of the movie Melancholia. The Kirsten Dunst character was always miserable and then when the world was ending she was happy.

by Anonymousreply 63February 15, 2018 8:25 PM

I didn't know she was a lawyer from Yale. Somebody up there doesn't like us women Yale lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 64February 15, 2018 8:27 PM

Her husband is cute, with beautiful lips.

I'd say she's done better in the life partner department than most of the bitter souls here calling her a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 65February 15, 2018 8:36 PM

[quote]I'd say she's done better in the life partner department than most of the bitter souls here calling her a cunt.

She has borderline personality disorder, has been hospitalized numerous times for it, has attempted suicide multiple times, and right now she is dying in her early 50s. You think having a handsome husband outweighs all that?

by Anonymousreply 66February 15, 2018 8:46 PM

Right R66, calling someone who may have psychological issues a witch and a cunt is not shallow at all.

Perhaps her marriage made her deal with her mental issues. Not that IG is a reflection of anyone's real life, but she seems to be content in her marriage.

And, please, when did pointing out at someone's looks become a sign of shallowness on DL? It's our favorite pastime.

by Anonymousreply 67February 15, 2018 8:56 PM

R66,

Has she ever admitted she had BPD--to me, she seems like a textbook case, but I've never read about her saying so. Her career's always puzzled me--but amazing what looks, a little writing talent and a flair for self-promotion can get you.

I'm sure if I worked at it, I could drum up some compassion--cancer sucks--but she's not someone who would do old age well. Sadly, going out early suits her.

by Anonymousreply 68February 15, 2018 9:03 PM

[quote]And, please, when did pointing out at someone's looks become a sign of shallowness on DL? It's our favorite pastime.

It may be, but that doesn't mean it's a deep approach when talking about someone with terminal cancer.

Face it, honey: you're shallow.

by Anonymousreply 69February 16, 2018 5:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!