Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘NCIS‘

CBS’s [italic]NCIS[/italic] is now in its 15th season.

Why do you think it has lasted this long?

(I could be asking the same for NBC’s [italic]Law & Order: Special Victims Unit[/italic]. It is currently in its 19th season.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2018 5:17 AM

Love of the formulaic—the more formulaic the better.

by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2018 3:48 PM

Gunsmoke lasted 20 years

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2018 3:57 PM

Lasted longer than jag.

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2018 3:59 PM

It's the Columbo/Quincy/Matlock of the last 15 years (longer if you consider it's a spinoff of JAG).

Comforting routine formula, often makes the audience feel smart because the storytelling enables them to guess the bad guy before the protagonists do. Ensemble casts with wide range of personality types to appeal to a wide base. Plus it hits all the patriotic buttons after 9-11, although kudos for having the occasional "very special episode". And there's the inevitable Thanksgiving and Xmas episodes, with a plotline often vaguely throwing back to the origin of the holiday.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2018 4:03 PM

I don't think I've ever watched it, not that I've specifically avoided it.

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2018 4:09 PM

My Mom loves this show, she thinks Mark Harmon is a dreamboat.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2018 9:44 PM

Wilmer has the worse voice -- sounds as if he's always hoarse.

by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2018 9:45 PM

r4 and r6 hit the salient points to your question quite well.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2018 9:48 PM

R4 does indeed explain the longevity of this and other programs that follow a similar format. I don't know why NBC decided to end L&O, but it could still be going, without any members of the cast that we saw weekly when it ended.

The thing about NCIS for me is I don't like most of the characters. I think Michael Wetherly's a good actor, but that DiNozo character was routinely cruel to the "probie" (who wasn't a probie after one season on the show, but Tony continued with the fratboy antics that were awful) and that Abby character - she looks and acts the same as she did when the program began she's just as irritating! The actress is in her 40s - Jesus people let her grow up.

I could never warm up to the cast, never got into the habit of watching - but apparently millions of Americans enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2018 10:04 PM

You're guaranteed to see most of the same characters, it usually ends every episode on a good note and the formula rarely changes. For some people that may put them off but for others it's the draw.

However in the past 15 years the most significant changes were deaths or exits: Caitlin was killed by being shot in the head, Jenny died after a shootout & Ziva left the show and was killed off screen. DiNozo's exit didn't leave him dead and if Bull wasn't doing well (and it is doing well and was renewed) I'm sure they would have let him pop back in.

Despite that, the core cast (Gibbs, Abby, Ducky, McGee, Palmer & Vance who joined in 2008) have been around for quite a while although the actor that plays Ducky is 84 so I doubt he'll be around much longer.

by Anonymousreply 10January 19, 2018 12:08 AM

R10, I didn't realize life for women outside og Gibbs' grasp could be so deadly. I remember when Caitlin was shot in the head - shocking moment; was Jenny the female in charge of NCIS? She was killed as well? The show runner couldn't leave Ziva alone to live a life either? That's awful. I like the idea that the team would end of saving the Middle East and Israel (yet again) and finding Ziva enjoying an afternoon in her garden.

The actress playing Abbey leaves this year... maybe they'll find her dead from a sex game gone too far? Or she'll trip while wearing some ridiculous boots and fall down the stairs, breaking her neck. Could Mr. Palmer go insane listening to her rattle and prattle and just take her out with a few good swipes with a scalpel?

by Anonymousreply 11January 19, 2018 8:48 AM

Wilmer is a regular on this?

by Anonymousreply 12January 19, 2018 11:56 AM

I think Wilmer came on when Weatherly left.

Jenny was Director Shepard (played by Lauren Holly). In the long list of murdered women, don't forget Director Vance's wife Jackie as well.

R6 your mom probably remembers an earlier Harmon (when he was on St Elsewhere).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 19, 2018 1:45 PM

Jesus, doe the writers ever kill (or have murdered) any MALE characters?

Jennifer Esposito lasted one season and then left, correct? She doesn't seem to last very long on a series does she?

I forgot Lauren Holly was on NCIS... now there's an actress who has had way too much plastic surgery. The huge tits (did she do that to make Jim Carey happy?), the forehead and eyes that are frozen in place.

by Anonymousreply 14January 19, 2018 9:34 PM

The c in cbs stands for crap.

by Anonymousreply 15January 19, 2018 9:46 PM

I liked Kate - Sasha Alexander. She was terrific, not sure why she wanted to leave after only two seasons. And Ziva, Cote de Pablo - likewise terrific. They should have given her the moon to get her to stay instead of turning her down flat. Emily Wickersham was a poor replacement for such a vivid character.

by Anonymousreply 16January 19, 2018 9:47 PM

Average cbs viewer is like 60..

by Anonymousreply 17January 19, 2018 9:47 PM

Your point, R17?

by Anonymousreply 18January 19, 2018 9:57 PM

In line with what gives the show longevity, it's been written that audiences get what they expect and they enjoy the program. This is the same with those (to me) god-awful "Chicago" programs on NBC from Dick Wolf. Man they are so many steps down from L&O. HOWEVER, they give the audience what they like... recurring characters and situations, there are some 'quirky' characters (esp on Chicago:Fire - oh 'Steve' from Sex and the City, this is what makes you happy as an actor?), many sexy characters (look at the scrubs the men on Chicago: Med wear! Could they be more fitted and revealing of chest hair?) who get laid a lot (Severide on Fire) and a number 'empowered' women who are far too-good looking and waifish for their jobs. Of course, there's always the good guy winning (and often abusing a suspect who's particularly skeevy)... Chicago:PD - despite being somewhat corrupt.

Crossover episodes abound and Dick's probably wondering why Chicago: Justice didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 19January 19, 2018 10:00 PM

My Dad loses his remote privileges at 7 PM. Mom takes over, puts on CBS and leaves it there. Their both 82.

by Anonymousreply 20January 19, 2018 10:41 PM

How did Lauren Holly die? And how did Ziva die?

by Anonymousreply 21January 20, 2018 12:53 AM

R16,

[quote] And Ziva, Cote de Pablo - likewise terrific. They should have given her the moon to get her to stay instead of turning her down flat.

She revealed in 2016 she left because they were going to send the character back to Israel and she didn't like that direction for the character and after 8 years thought she should have been treated with more respect. She said it had nothing to do with money. Also 8 years is a long time to be on a show so I totally get that she felt like she could exit since she was bored.

[quote]How did Lauren Holly die?

R21, first they gave her an illness that would eventually kill her but they never said what it was. Then a person from her past with Gibbs (that she let live but should have killed) sent a bunch of assassins after her that lead her to a diner in the middle of nowhere. Since she had nothing to lose she decided to fight them and managed to nearly kill all of them before being shot to death.

Although in reality Lauren's 6 episode stint turned into a few seasons long stint. She wanted to get back to acting and was upset Bellisario was released from the show. She was also bored.

[quote] And how did Ziva die?

Initially she just goes back to Israel. When Michael Weatherly decided to leave, they wrote a story where the house she was in was destroyed by a mortar attack by a CIA agent. Tony goes over there to find her remains and instead finds she had a daughter offscreen named Tali. The thing is they a.) never recovered her remains so it's possible she's still alive & b.) used her daughter Tali to give Tony a reason to leave NCIS to take care of her. With Cote and Michael both off the show they'll probably leave that as is.

It is interesting to note that both actresses ultimately implied that they were bored and it wouldn't surprise me if that were Pauley Perrette's reason for leaving after this season - although she hasn't said exactly why she's going. Fifteen years on the same show is a long time and I'm sure she's lasted so long since her character usually stays on the sidelines. With the actor who plays Ducky taking multiple breaks because of his advanced age, I'm sure CBS will give Mark Harmon whatever he wants to get him to stay if he should ever be tempted to leave.

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2018 8:11 AM

I remember they did an episode - it was like a crazy dream episode, and Kate didn't die - Sasha Alexander was there, and she was having Tony's baby. Maybe it was Mark Harmon's dream after he'd been shot or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 23January 20, 2018 12:34 PM

Abby will die of Caf-Pow! poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 24January 20, 2018 12:44 PM

R14 they also killed Agent Ned Dorneget, who revealed he was gay when he was accused of not doing his job because they thought he was being distracted by a female.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 20, 2018 1:28 PM

I can't believe enough of you watch this that we've gotten to, now, 26 posts.

by Anonymousreply 26January 20, 2018 1:30 PM

I can't believe you're reading the thread and counting posts when this doesn't interest you, r26.

by Anonymousreply 27January 20, 2018 2:00 PM

I can't either, R27.

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2018 2:05 PM

I loved Lauren on Picket Fences in the 90's and she

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2018 5:07 PM

(Continued) was really pretty on that show as well. N.C.I.S. was/is a really boring show to me. It's still on the air because a lot of conservatives watch it, I guess. It's always top rated with conservative watchers though. I did like the character of Abby, well not so much her character but her style.

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2018 5:13 PM

I started watching this show when it was in syndication and TNT would run it all day on Saturdays. The thing that you're all missing is the tone of the show. It's actually fairly light-hearted, compared to other procedurals like "Criminal Minds" or the "CSI, shows. DiNozo was kind of a goofball fratboy who kept things from getting too heavy (unless necessary). The patriotic, rah-rah "murica crap was not really prevalent. For a pro-military show, it was rather gay-friendly. Gay characters showed up on occasion and were treated with respect, including a male naval officer whose husband had been murdered (IIRC). That sent their Deplorable viewers into a tizzy. They missed the boat by making Jimmy Palmer gay. Considering how they wrote him, they were probably considering it.

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2018 5:32 PM

I watched it from time to time but lost interest after Tony/Weatherly left. Liked the episodes with his dad played by Robert Wagner, good casting there.

R31 you’re right, compared to L&O, CSI, etc, this one’s more of a dramedy. The language misunderstandings Ziva would come up with rival Sofia Vergera in Modern Family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2018 5:39 PM

"That actor who plays Ducky?!"

Do you younguns not recognize David McCallum from "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.? It was must-see tv back in the day.

One of the best lines from NCIS was when a team member asked Gibbs "Who did Ducky look like when he was young?" Not missing a beat, Gibbs replied "Illya Kuryakin" (McCallum's character on U.N.C.L.E). Brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2018 6:05 PM

R14: Remember, too, they killed off Vance's wife Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 34January 20, 2018 6:10 PM

[quote]The patriotic, rah-rah "murica crap was not really prevalent. For a pro-military show, it was rather gay-friendly.

The show started in 2003 but they didn't have a gay character episode until 2011. When they did it made headlines. They didn't have a gay agent (Dornegett) until the following year and he was killed off the show in 2015.

[quote] Remember, too, they killed off Vance's wife Jackie.

I remember being shocked they did that but the actress was on around 4 episodes of the entire series.

[quote] The thing that you're all missing is the tone of the show. It's actually fairly light-hearted, compared to other procedurals like "Criminal Minds" or the "CSI, shows. DiNozo was kind of a goofball fratboy who kept things from getting too heavy (unless necessary).

That's sadly, mostly gone now thanks to Michael Weatherly's exit and that makes sense since the only original agent there is McGee and he wasn't necessarily funny without DiNozo to joke with. They still have lighthearted moments but it's nothing compared to NCIS: Los Angeles which, since the core cast has been intact since the pilot (with the exception of Miguel Ferrar/Granger who passed not too long ago) consistently starts and ends with humor.

They try and do it with Vilmer's character but it doesn't really work.

And I have a soft spot for Barrett Foa's character Beale on NCIS: LA. Probably because he is allegedly openly gay in real life although the character is straight on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2018 6:18 PM

[quote]They try and do it with Wilmer's character but it doesn't really work.

He's no foreign exchange student.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2018 6:28 PM

Beale’s a cutie and Hattie’s a riot - need suspension of disbelief but a riot still.

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2018 7:41 PM

It's probably just bullshit gossip but I heard on the radio that Perrette left because Harmon kept bringing his dog to set??

It supposedly bit someone but Harmon keeps bringing it in.

I stopped watching the last few episodes that DiNozzo was there. the whole idea that that cunt Ziva had had a kid with him was beyond fucking ridiculous. It was a case of the worthless show runners listening to the fucking social media fucktards that insisted that Tony and she were in love. Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2018 8:46 PM

How did the gay agent and Jackie die?

by Anonymousreply 39January 21, 2018 12:07 PM

Jackie was killed by assassins who were after Ziva's dad, who was having dinner there - they shot the whole place up, and Jackie and Ziva's dad both were killed. I can't remember how they killed the gay agent. But 2011 wasn't the first gay storyline - I remember episodes here and there (maybe two or so, total) well before that.

by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2018 12:14 PM

Here's an article on the episode where Jackie and Ziva's dad were killed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2018 12:17 PM

The poor mans Paul Newman , he held up a long long time, but for a decade he should have had better old man hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2018 12:21 PM

This is a Procedural Thread, so I'll mention my new crush on Jonathan Togo, who was on 'CSI: Miami' from 2004 to 2010. Never watched the show until right before this past Christmas when We-TV had a marathon of the series on and he caught my eye. So dreamy! I DVR all the episodes now to watch him.

BTW, Adam Rodriguez was also on 'CSI: Miami' and now he is on 'Criminal Minds'. I watched part of last week's episode to see what he looked like now: better than ever! Adam's on his way to Silver Daddy godhood!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2018 12:32 PM

They don't really make lithe TV stars like this anymore. He was masculine and no significant body building or steroid. Kevin Costner was the same - lithe, pretty, but masculine too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2018 12:37 PM

Jonathan Togo is perfect....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2018 1:03 PM

[quote] NCIS: Los Angeles which, since the core cast has been intact since the pilot

Except for Nate, who shows up once in a blue moon, and that black guy they killed off.

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2018 1:25 PM

Jonathan To Go got up and went. I haven't seen him since CSI: Horatio.

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2018 1:30 PM

R32, Michael Weatherly played Robert Wagner in the Natalie Wood miniseries made about a decade ago.

R29, I LOVED Picket Fences and Officer Maxine Stewart, great character.

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2018 2:00 PM

Thanks R48 I’ll try to find that miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 49January 21, 2018 3:24 PM

Was ToGo the poorman’s Szmanda? Or the other way around?

R31 a gay autopsy gremlin would have been cool, and not much of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2018 2:01 AM

[quote]Was ToGo the poorman’s Szmanda?

No, the poor man's Gyllenhaal.

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2018 8:30 AM

NCIS: New Orleans - now that was boring. And I like Scott Bakula and Lucas Black

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2018 8:56 AM

I can never finish watching an episode of any NCIS show, so I stopped watching the beginnings.

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2018 12:56 PM

Pauley Perrette says she left NCIS after 'multiple physical assaults'

Pauley Perrette is speaking out about her recent departure from NCIS.

“I refused to go low, that’s why I’ve never told publicly what happened. But there are tabloid articles out there that are telling total lies about me. If you believe them? Please leave me alone. You clearly don’t know me. (Sorry guys, had to be said),” Perrette, 49, tweeted Saturday, days after her emotional May 8 finale, when she said goodbye to her character of 15 seasons, Abby Sciuto.

A day later, Perrette posted three more tweets, in which she claimed a “machine” is “keeping me silent” and alleged that there were “multiple physical assaults.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2018 5:07 AM

Hell if I know , I aint never watched a single episode of such deplorable crap.

pbs fer me all da way blanche...

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2018 5:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!