Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brokeback Mountain vs Call Me By Your Name . What does the Datalounge like the most and why ?

Which movie you think portrayed LGBT love in the purest way ? Hard for me to choose.

by Anonymousreply 71January 19, 2018 9:16 PM

Brokeback Mountain was a tour de force. A monumental of epic proportions that has withstood the test of time. A classic film that one could argue stars two lead actors in their best performances. There’s no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 7:03 PM

I know a lot of DLers hate BBM because a gay character gets killed, but face facts: it's a period drama set in a time and place extremely hostile to gay characters.

And I agree with R1. Jake and Heath are superb, as is Michelle Williams. People, both gay and straight, talked about this movie before it was released, during its release and after it was released.

For those of you who weren't here when it happened, this place went into total meltdown mode when BBM failed to win Best Picture Oscar, and the chaos continued until at least the Wednesday following the Oscar presentations. I can't imagine CMBYM generating that sort of passion.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 7:18 PM

Hated both, well I hated BBM b/c Jake went on a I'M HETEROSEXUAL pr blitz ever since and really pissed all over the movie. He doesn't have real courage and conviction as an actor, that's probably why he has never been nominated for an Oscar since.

Call Me By Your Name is an anti-gay bisexual movie staring two straight actors and where heterosexuality wins out, plus the two "gay" characters in the film are an offensive and trite stereotype all made for faux liberal hipsters.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 7:18 PM

Canned beans on a tin plate vs. osso bucco on fine porcelain.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 7:20 PM

Although BBM bored me to death, the other is truly awful.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 7:21 PM

Does "Call Me" take place in current time or twenty years ago?

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 7:24 PM

[QUOTE]Does "Call Me" take place in current time or twenty years ago?

Neither. It takes place 20 years in the future where the director hopes a 40 year old man having sex with a teenage boy isn’t frowned upon.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 7:25 PM

[quote]Does "Call Me" take place in current time or twenty years ago?

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 7:25 PM

Michelle Williams in BBM was more masculine than the delicate bruised peach in the other one.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 7:25 PM

God's Own Country was better than both of them.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2018 7:26 PM

BBM. It was an excellent film. Pretty much perfect. Very believable, much more so than a hot 25 yo having a summer fling with a 17 yo who looks like he’s 12.

BBM was a true love story. True in the sense that these two men truly loved each other.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2018 7:30 PM

R2 [bold] SPOILERS [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2018 7:34 PM

Couldn't relate to the rural poverty of BBM. CMBYN is pretty relatable.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2018 7:36 PM

R13 never worked a day in his life.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2018 7:41 PM

They are both pandering Hollywood crap. [italic]God's Own Country[/italic] is superior to either of them put together, and for leaving it out of this thread, you will be FFed.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 7:42 PM

^^ 😂 GOC troll is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 7:43 PM

CMBYN queens are going to set gay movies and gay rights back 20 years or more.

The best gay movie by Ang Lee is [italic]The Wedding Planner[/italic].

[quote] I know a lot of DLers hate BBM because a gay character gets killed, but face facts: it's a period drama set in a time and place extremely hostile to gay characters.

The gays in [italic]Blazing Saddles[/italic] bashed back.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2018 7:47 PM

The OP said el-jibbity instead of gay. That as much as everything tells me everything I need to know about the agenda of those pushing these covertly anti-gay faux-gay movies and why an actually gay movie made by a gay director gets shut out for pretentious, ponderous, self-loathing breeder-feeder crap.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2018 8:03 PM

I love both movies.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 8:05 PM

If you are a decent human being, this should answer the question by default.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2018 8:12 PM

I love both as well, though Anne Hathaway isn't remotely convincing in the later scenes where she's supposed to be older (the makeup and hair doesn't help). Love GOD'S OWN COUNTRY. And MAURICE too is a favorite.

R17, the Ang Lee film is THE WEDDING BANQUET. THE WEDDING PLANNER is the Jennifer Lopes/Ralph Feinnes rom-com, which is meh.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2018 8:19 PM

"If you are a decent human being, this should answer the question by default."

Ahh, the troll provides intra-DL clickbait.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2018 8:21 PM

And pedo apologist R21/R22 took the bait.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2018 8:23 PM

OP, I'm not sure any film shows gay love "in the purest way", whatever that means.

For me CMBYN was a two people finding their truest selves in each other, regardless of what happens afterwards. The character of Oliver became noticeably happier once the relationship with Elio commenced. BBM showed the more tragic outcome of having to bottle up your emotions in order to confirm and survive at that time.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2018 8:27 PM

Stop comparing a feel-good romance to a tragedy.

Of course people are going to “like” the fairy tale more.

These movies serve different purposes.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2018 8:27 PM

Datalounge likes [italic]God's Own Country[/italic] best because it is an actual gay film made by gay people that affirms the beauty of gay male love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2018 8:27 PM

And by “fairy tale,” I mean ...

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2018 8:28 PM

Claiming tragedy is "more realistic" is a cop out. Even in the late 1960s, Michael said "not all f@ggø†$ bump themselves off at the end of the story" in [italic]The Boys in the Band[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2018 8:29 PM

R26, the director of CMBYN is gay. BTW, neither of the leads of GOD'S OWN COUNTRY is gay (or they're both closeted).

WEEKEND is made by a gay director and one of the lead actors is gay, and it affirms the beauty of gay male love, so that might fit your criteria better.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2018 8:33 PM

The director, Francis Lee, is gay. The characters in the film are gay. They do not treat their love like a tragedy or a sickness. They treat it as love.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2018 8:35 PM

Wikipedia makes no claims of Josh O'Connor's sexuality, but Armie Hammer has a wife and kids and I haven't heard that French boy saying he was actually gay in real life.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2018 8:37 PM

You're not being true to yourself if you are still committing PIV-rape.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2018 8:37 PM

CMBYN doesn't treat the love as a sickness or tragedy either (certainly not BBM-level tragedy). It's clear at the end that Elio will be OK.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2018 8:38 PM

It still feeds into the antisemitic stereotype of Jews as predators.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2018 8:38 PM

Speaking of which…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2018 8:39 PM

[quote] I know a lot of DLers hate BBM because it still treats homosexuality as inferior to heterosexuality, and "I wish I knew how to quit you" is one of the stupidest lines in movie history since Criswell said "Future events like these will affect you in the future" in [italic]Plan 9 from Outer Space[/italic].

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2018 8:40 PM

It is a sickness to pick fruit that isn't ripe yet.

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2018 8:43 PM

[quote]WEEKEND is made by a gay director and one of the lead actors is gay, and it affirms the beauty of gay male love, so that might fit your criteria better.

[italic]Weekend[/italic] is also not a new release, and I had never heard of it until it was already on video.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2018 8:44 PM

At least [italic]Brokeback[/italic] is not full of those goddamn wops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2018 8:48 PM

Call Me By Your Name, hands down. It also has better casting.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2018 12:32 AM

[quote] What does the Datalounge like the most and why ?

WHICH does Datalounge like MORE?

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2018 12:38 AM

[quote] What does the Datalounge like the most and why ?

Or you could've just said "Which does Datalounge PREFER?"

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2018 12:38 AM

Brokeback Mountain was about a romance between two grown men. CMBYN skirted on the edge of pedophilia.

Heath and Jake were two good looking men. Armin is a good looking man and Timothay is one of the skinniest twinkest funniest looking boys I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2018 12:46 AM

Timothée is one of the most gorgeous boys I've ever seen in movies. And his acting alone is worth the watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2018 1:03 AM

The question is what movie is better. And Heath Ledger was hotter in Brokeback than Timothy will ever be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2018 1:06 AM

Brokeback Mountain because it involves 2 adults.

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2018 1:15 AM

Brokeback by far. If for nothing else because I actually felt something for the characters. And their love scenes didn't make me uneasy. And how gorgeous was Hugh? Damn.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2018 1:19 AM

I loved BBM. I thought the chemistry between Heath & Jake was off the chart and it was an honest treatment of a terribly sad situation in those times. IMO CMBYN is just a coming of age movie with and young Gay teenager crushing on a closeted grad student. The most impressive thing about the movie, IMO was the lifestyle. That villa and that lifestyle. Shit what I wouldn't give for that kind of life. And Armie Hammer. I'd love to get some of that too. Timothee does nothing for me. But I just don't like girly looking guys and I definitely don't like young things. Timothee is a sweetheart but he is just way too young and femme looking for my personal taste.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2018 1:23 AM

I haven't seen CMBYN but frankly I'm sick of gay movies where it seems like an arty erotic movie about having sex with young teens. Chalamet looks young on purpose although they say he's 17. On principle, Brokeback Mountain is better cause it's not borderline pedo cover.

by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2018 1:24 AM

Timothy’s character being 17 and Armie’s 24 is a big damn joke. Nobody looks at them and sees a 7 year age gap. The director chose these actors because he wanted the dynamic of a much older man coming after a young boy.

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2018 1:41 AM

Why do you all call CMBYN gay when both characters are bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2018 1:46 AM

One is a tragic love story. A gay romeo and juliet, and the other is a pedo fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2018 1:53 AM

Brokeback Mountain, because of Anne Hathaway's nude scene.

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2018 2:04 AM

Personally I preferred CMBYN. To me it's a film about teenage agnst, love, and sadness and trying to find out who you really are. It was also nice to have two men fall in love and not have it end with one of them dead or dying of aids or something.

by Anonymousreply 54January 18, 2018 2:38 AM

Brokeback Mountain is one of the shittiest movies of all time. They couldn't even express their G love, OP. Forget about L, B, and T. Those weren't happening in that tragic tale of repression and murder. That's your "pure"? You are one sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 55January 18, 2018 3:34 AM

[quote][R17], the Ang Lee film is THE WEDDING BANQUET. THE WEDDING PLANNER is the Jennifer Lopes/Ralph Feinnes rom-com, which is meh.

r21, The Wedding Planner is the Jennifer Lopez/Matthew McConaughey rom-com. The Lopez/Fiennes one is Maid in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 56January 18, 2018 4:57 AM

I liked Cruising.

by Anonymousreply 57January 18, 2018 7:50 AM

I love both leads in CMBYN, and I find that both men bring positive attributes to the film.

But let’s face it, Timothee is a fantastic actor who I believe will have a better career than Hammer, however, they are just not hot together.

I’m not a pedo troll who thinks this script or film is outlandish by putting the two characters with a seven year age difference on film. I have no issue with the age difference or the story. The problem is really the optics.

Tim looks like a kid. Say whatever you want in order to dispute this, I don’t care. He looks no older than 12-15, and it’s not hot to see him in bed with a man who looks 35-40.

I really have to wonder why the two men “worked” in this casting dynamic. I would have hired Tim and found another lead, rather than Hammer. I like Hammer, I have no personal issues with him as an actor, but to me, the chemistry is not there.

Timothee is absolutely gorgeous. He’s lucky that he can look as young as he does. He’s going to have a huge career, and I am looking forward to becoming a lifetime fan. The kid is a TERRIFIC actor. His future looks bright.

BBM was tragic, but as someone said upthread, Heath and Jake had PERFECT chemistry. I immediately bonded with both characters. I wasn’t distracted by the fact that they were both quite young, because neither one of them looked like a hairless 12 year old who rides his skateboard in the park after school, instead of doing his homework, , loves macaroni and cheese, and has to be reminded by his mom that he needs to take a shower before he goes to bed.

by Anonymousreply 58January 18, 2018 1:54 PM

r58 = Eternadouche

by Anonymousreply 59January 18, 2018 1:56 PM

Brokeback was silly because the actors are Hollywood types playing at being rough sheepherders - Ledger mumbling and chewing tobacco and straw, Jake walking with a wide stance like a cowboy. It was also really slow - long scenes on the side of mountains, herding lots of sheep. Just tiring to watch. CMBYN was pretty lively and more playful with sex - kissing on the berm, hand on the crotch - there was a lot more humor. It's lighter when it's light, not too heavy when it's heavy. It's also actors from refined backgrounds playing in a new refined environment; just clicked better with the setting.

When I think BBM, I think "cold, blue, gray." When I think Call Me, I think "sunny, warm, yellow, green, orange." I prefer the latter.

And, I couldn't relate to the rural poverty thing in BBM.

by Anonymousreply 60January 18, 2018 2:08 PM

I didn't mind Armie being cast as the Graduate fellow. It's possible to be a Grad student in your 30's. I've known quite a few. But TImothee was way too young looking. I agree he looked about 15 at best. He's a fine young actor, and I can certainly understand how someone, male or female of any age, would be attracted to Armie. He's beautiful. But it just didn't work for me. I looked at it as Armie being kind to the kid and sort of breaking him in. Not in love with him. Not heart broken to be separated from him. But if I were writing the story, I would have had Timothee's mother having an affair or at the very least being attracted to Armie. Now that love triangle would've been a hell of a plotline.

by Anonymousreply 61January 18, 2018 2:10 PM

[quote]When I think BBM, I think "cold, blue, gray."

I think "red." Juicy, bloody "red."

by Anonymousreply 62January 18, 2018 2:10 PM

R62, good point.

by Anonymousreply 63January 18, 2018 2:12 PM

The cute Aussie reviewer on the left is about to cry throughout this thing. It's adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 18, 2018 2:13 PM

I like the the L word best.

by Anonymousreply 65January 18, 2018 2:14 PM

[quote]Chalamet looks young on purpose although they say he's 17.

I think this is why David Cassidy drank himself to death: he was old enough to jerk off to, but Keith Partridge was not.

by Anonymousreply 66January 18, 2018 2:19 PM

Brokeback Mountain

by Anonymousreply 67January 19, 2018 7:00 PM

this one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 19, 2018 7:04 PM

BBM. The cinematography is gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 69January 19, 2018 8:51 PM

BBM has a lot to love, but why didn’t they get some real gay consultants to give some advice about making the sex scenes a little realistic. Would these shy, young, horny cowboys who got to a point where they were ready to experiment with sex really dive into a frantic, dry, rapey buttfuck for their first encounter? Get real! They’d be more likely to do some kind of mutual masturbation/frottage/make-out session. They’d get around to fucking eventually maybe, but a buttfuck is not the first thing a timid, inexperienced gayling wants to try.

by Anonymousreply 70January 19, 2018 9:12 PM

[QUOTE]Would these shy, young, horny cowboys who got to a point where they were ready to experiment with sex really dive into a frantic, dry, rapey buttfuck for their first encounter?

Why does everyone assume that it was their first encounter? It was never established that Jack and Ennis had never been with men before.

by Anonymousreply 71January 19, 2018 9:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!