Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The punk music scene of the 70's and 80's

Was anyone into the punk scene in the 80's and do you think that punk rock has stood the test of time?

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 9:14 PM

Grew up in So Calif went to many gigs but was more into the UK bands like the Clash, Sex Pistols, UK Subs more than Black Flag and Germs. I don't attend shows anymore, but still enjoy listening to the music every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 6:49 PM

Yes and most of it, no.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 6:57 PM

[quote]do you think that punk rock has stood the test of time?

stood the test of time? It was AWFUL - AT the time.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 7:00 PM

I love it, it’s my current genre favourite.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 7:02 PM

People still love it. My teenage nieces listen to vintage punk from 30 years ago along with contemporary music.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 7:21 PM

Stranglers, The Clash, Ramones, The Jam among others then and now.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 7:26 PM

Yes—lived and experienced the burgeoning scene in the mid-‘70s, and loved every throbbing, sneering, gob-hurling moment of it. Was completely besotted with Johnny Rotten, the High Priestess of Punk Siouxsie Sioux could have had her way with me by snapping her fingers, and I would have done anything for Patti Smith up to her Radio Ethiopia phase. Now, I can only listen to it in very small amounts before it gets on my nerves. I still get it, but I can’t deal with any more than a few minutes at a time.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 7:49 PM

I never got into punk, unless you count [italic]Punky Brewster[/italic], and I don't. Ironically the only music they actually used besides underscore was pop, R&B and showtunes with an occasional nod to classical music and opera since George Gaynes' background was in musical theater. And the closest they got to actual punk was putting Henry in a leather outfit to seem "hip" when meeting DeBarge. But at least I learned about Die Fleidermaus, Cole Porter's "De-Lovely" and Robert Schumann's "Traumerei" from them.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 9:01 PM

L.A. scene here. X, Fear, original punk Go-Go's, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 9:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!