Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Oliver Reed the manliest man who ever man'd?

Yes - he was a drunk, a misogynist and seemed almost ape-like, but he was just so bloody hot! They don't make them butch like this anymore, that's for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 13, 2018 12:41 AM

[quote]Yes - he was a drunk, a misogynist and seemed almost ape-like, but he was just so bloody hot!

Nepotism aside, who could have played Bill Sykes better than he could in [italic]Oliver![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 4:34 PM

[quote]They don't make them butch like this anymore, that's for sure.

They didn't much then, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 4:37 PM

And he gave his all in Women in Love. Give him credit. Shame on Val Kilmer, Dean Cain, Eric Roberts, Aaron Eckart, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 4:41 PM

He was fucking horrible! He had a face like a rottweiler.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 4:43 PM

Hold me, Oliver, I'm scared...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 4:43 PM

Takin' a bath, Oliver? I'll join you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 4:45 PM

Handsome with beard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 4:46 PM

He was a disgusting drunken slob.

Thread Closed.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 4:46 PM

here's a fun one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 4:49 PM

I watched Burnt Offerings recently (what a dull film!) and there are quite a few scenes with Mr. Reed in swimming trunks or walking around shirtless. He had a pretty hot body. Apparently everyone on that film hated working with him. That must have been one crazy set, with Reed, Karen Black and Bette Davis around.

I was in Malta a few years ago and we actually visited the bar in which he drank himself to death and they have some pictures of him on the walls. It was hard to believe he was "only" sixty when he croaked because he looked like shit at the time.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2018 4:49 PM

I can't sleep, OP. Come...lie with me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2018 4:56 PM

young and handsome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2018 4:59 PM

Some men arent traditionally attractive but have "IT". He was one.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2018 5:20 PM

No he was sexy as hell and yes a stinkin drunk. There is a famous English chef named Marco Pierre White who talked about what a great guy he was when he was customer of his at his restaurant. I believe he was really liked in the movie industry and he was the very definition of "hell raiser". Loved him.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2018 5:24 PM

And who could ever forget his nude wrestling scene with Alan Bates in "Women in Love"? Isn't it ironic (don't you think) that fifty years ago they had the guts to film a scene with two A-list actors fighting totally nude and rubbing against each other but no major studio or actor would dare to film a scene like that today?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 5:41 PM

Bravo, r15. Must we live in the Thermidorian Reaction to the sexual revolution?

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 5:48 PM

Well we have half of a fully nude fighting scene in 2007 r15:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2018 5:52 PM

I thought Vic Tayback was the manliest man who ever man'd.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2018 5:53 PM

R17 Well, only Viggo was naked in that scene and unlike WIL scene there was nothing homoerotic about it but he did present his hole so that's a plus.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 5:54 PM

I've always liked Gladiator because it has Reed in it as well as Richard Harris. Plus crazy Russell Crowe at peak hotness.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2018 6:04 PM

It's funny how he was always known for being hard to work with, so in keeping with his reputation he managed to screw even the last project he was working on by dying unexpectedly. They had to spent more than 4 million dollars to make a digital version of him for additional two minutes of scenes in Gladiator.

Here's CGI Oliver:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2018 6:04 PM

Manly men don't do musicals.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2018 2:01 AM

R21, fascinating. When you know the dungeon Reed is CGI, you can sort of see a jerkiness to it.

Bates is IT for me.

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2018 2:13 AM

Sexiest man since Brando...

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2018 2:17 AM

He was a in TV movie set in a desert island - nude scenes.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2018 2:24 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2018 2:24 AM

good photo.

very '60s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2018 2:25 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2018 2:26 AM

[quote]Sexiest man since Brando...

Another one who did a musical.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2018 2:34 AM

I've never seen Oliver! because I hate overblown 1960's musicals but I didn't know Carol Reed and Oliver were related. According to Reed's wiki page he also claimed to have been a descendant of Peter the Great. WTF?!

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2018 2:38 AM

Most people are descended from Peter The Great.

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2018 2:49 AM

R31 That's Charlemagne.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2018 2:50 AM

That's Ghengis Khan. Genghis?

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2018 3:57 AM

R12 Javier!

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2018 5:22 AM

He went on the Max Headroom show and was asked: Is it true the only exercise you get is in your liver?

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2018 5:26 AM

R15, those were beautiful men. Lithe bodies, not the inflated droids ubiquitous now.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2018 5:36 AM

Stills don't capture what he had. When I was a little gayling, I had such a crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2018 6:00 AM

Was he cut?

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 6:06 AM

Any relation to Robert Reed?

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2018 6:18 AM

Back in the 90s I hung out with a biker ( hardcore...insane chopped monster of a bike and he covered miles on it travelling all over to parties and runs ). We spent a fair bit of time drinking. He was gay but somewhat on the down low given the world he was involved in.

There was always something about him that I couldn’t put my finger on. The way he looked, sounded, physical mannerisms. Eventually, over a drink, he revealed he was one of Reed’s illegitimate offspring. While his story seemed entirely plausible when he explained the circumstances of Reed’s and his mother’s encounters I didn’t need that to believe him. I had grown to trust him but, more so, his looks and mannerisms confirmed it. There truly is an Oliver Reed gene that, certainly with him, made itself very visible. Of course, in his case, he had inherited the hell raising habit as well.

I’d go into more detail but we’ve sadly lost touch and, if he’s still alive, who knows what he’s up to now.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2018 6:59 AM

[quote] I've always liked Gladiator because it has Reed in it as well as Richard Harris. Plus crazy Russell Crowe at peak hotness.

I crushed on the young Oliver Reed big time after seeing Women in Love (25 years after it was made). What i loved about him was his manliness and that brutish quality. Then later, I had a huge crush on Russell Crowe for the very same reason. They were both alpha males and it was fun to see my two biggest screen crushes together (although Reed was an old man then) Crowe was a hell-raiser too but even he couldn't keep up with Reed in his old age. It didn't sound like Crowe got along with him, he said Reed drank too much.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2018 7:19 AM

[quote] Was he cut?

It looks like he was. I've inspected the wrestling scene frame-by-frame on my bluray version of the film and it looks like both him and Alan Bates were cut which is quite shocking if you ask me. What are the odds of having two naked Brit gentiles in the room together and both of them turn out to be cut?

R40 I love that story. Did Reed support him and his mother financially?

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2018 7:22 AM

[quote]What are the odds of having two naked Brit gentiles in the room together and both of them turn out to be cut?

the odds are very good. Circumcision is and has been very common in Britain for"gentiles" for decades.

Get informed before you ask such stupid questions.

[quote] it looks like both him and Alan Bates were cut which is quite shocking if you ask me.

stupid idiot.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2018 4:18 PM

He was incredibly sexy. Hard to describe why, but he just was. Hot body, too. Check out his big, beefy ass in Women in Love. Absolutely exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2018 10:06 PM

Oliver Reed and William Shatner were my first crushes as a budding gayling. My best friend (female) and I went to see "Oliver!" eight times in two weeks. She had a crush on Reed too, but I didn't dare tell her I did too!

And we were both obsessed with Shatner; again, I never told her why

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2018 10:45 PM

Reed, Peter O'toole , Richard Harris and Burton used to tell the best stories about each other.

by Anonymousreply 46January 19, 2018 12:17 AM

So, in that link at R9, Shelly Winters said he looked familiar and she kept talking, he told her to shut up and sort of hinted that the reason he looks familiar is they may have slept together. Were they joking or was this true?

I read Shelly Winter's book when it was released in the 80s or 90s and that woman slept around big time. She was also a big flirt. In that link, she's only 46 years old and says she's too old for younger men. Well, all she had to do was shed a little weight.

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2018 1:19 AM

Nonetheless, he was a gifted actor! Reed and Alan Bates in Women in Love were extraordinary...The scene ...":The proper way to eat a fig in society..." was the only scene I've ever seen on film where two men talk candidly about what will make them happy...including "a woman and nothing but a woman" I don't know if that that's anti-woman or not ...it certainly shed light on two men talking candidly with one another and re-thinking being male. If women can re-think being female, and look elsewhere , other than a male for happiness....then the same holds true for men...it's just taking us longer because we've been trained not to talk about feelings.

That interview years ago on Johnny Carson with Shelly Winters and Oliver Reed was the epitome of women's Hate/Love relationship with men and the penis...she was threatened and intrigued at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2018 2:05 AM

R43 Circumcision rates peaked in the 1930s in the UK, at about 30%. Given the two actors were of middle to upper class stock, of a similar vintage, it's not completely shocking. However, to say it's been very common for decades is rather misleading.

by Anonymousreply 49January 19, 2018 5:34 AM

Does anyone know if he was a homophobe? He certainly seems to fit the type.

by Anonymousreply 50January 19, 2018 5:41 AM

the devils was his best film.

by Anonymousreply 51January 19, 2018 2:52 PM

[quote]Does anyone know if he was a homophobe? He certainly seems to fit the type.

Doubt it. He WAS an English actor.

by Anonymousreply 52January 19, 2018 3:39 PM

While his ass in the wrestling scene is magnificent, the torso and the thighs are equally breathtaking.

Glenda Jackson, as Gudrun certainly got her wish:

How are your thighs?

My thighs?

Gudrun Brangwen : How are they? Are they strong? Because I want to drown in flesh. Hot, physical, naked, flesh.

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2018 7:20 PM

[R38] Yeah,LOL I remember her line about thighs.....Both of these actors (Reed and Bates) were great and great to look at as well!

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2018 10:18 PM

He terrified me on Letterman when I watched this live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2018 10:55 PM

He was only 49 years old in the video but looks 20 years older.

by Anonymousreply 56January 19, 2018 11:15 PM

When he takes his glasses off, you can see he’s still gorgeous. But wow, was this tension real? I always assumed everything was rehearsed on these shows.

by Anonymousreply 57January 20, 2018 11:58 PM

He really hit a wall in the early 1970s.

In the early 60s, he was actually rather pretty.

by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2018 12:08 AM

The quote I remember is Reed saying his ideal woman was a "deaf mute nymphomaniac whose father owns a pub."

Mark Lester said that all the boys on Oliver! were terrified of Reed because he was a method actor and would toss them around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2018 1:21 AM

Today would have been his 80th birthday which is kind of hard to believe since he looked to be well in his 70's by the time he died (and that was almost 20 years ago). Stay away from the liqueur if you want to age gracefully, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 60February 12, 2018 10:21 PM

Actually, R50, he was only 61 when he died! He was born 1938.

He looked like shit. Yes, he did look like late 70s then.

by Anonymousreply 61February 13, 2018 12:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!