Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker (1982)

I'm presently laying in bed and watching this. Susan Tyrell is totally bonkers in it. A great performance. And Jimmy McNichol is really cute. Anyone here seen it? I think it was also called NIGHT WARNING.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2019 11:54 AM

I wanted to lick Jimmy McNichol all over. Didn’t he show his ass?

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 4:28 PM

r1 I haven't seen his ass yet, but there's quite a few scenes of him with his top off. The cop investigating the murder is a really vile homophobic piece of shit. McNichol's high school coach is gay and so is the murder victim. And the cop keeps insinuating that Jimmy is too. The film's attitude to homosexuality seems very modern for 1982...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 4:38 PM

I literally just saw his ass!!! In a brief post-coital shower scene. Beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 4:40 PM

You simply must post that ass!

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 4:51 PM

The copy I'm watching is poor quality and quite dark, so this is the best I can get. Sorry...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 5:00 PM

Another one, not much better, sadly...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 5:01 PM

Yum!

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 5:01 PM

That ending is bitchin'! Who'd have guessed that the serial killer is the teacher who brought him cookies and always seemed so concerned about him!

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 10:59 PM

r8 is worse than Hitler and Lens Dunham

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2018 2:19 AM

Thanks for nothing, R8!

by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2018 5:14 AM

This film IS the DL!

Scenery chewing glory from Susan Tyrell

Naked twink from Jimmy McNichol

A menacing bulge from Bo Svenson

Supporting roles from young versions of Julia Duffy & Bill Paxton

Ugly homophobic subplot

If that wasn’t enough, the cherry on top:

A theme song performed by the incandescent DL icon Joyce Bulifant

by Anonymousreply 11January 20, 2019 11:50 PM

I saw the movie on TCM this past week, it was absolutely awful. For some unknown reason, a few critics gave this dog of a film good reviews, it is complete garbage, from beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 12January 20, 2019 11:59 PM

It had a Saturn nomination for best horror film of 1982

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2019 12:03 AM

This movie is fabulous! It's like the lovechild of Tennessee Williams and V.C. Andrews after they got drunk and decided to bring Hagsploitation back. Tyrrell is genius in the movie! A performance that could rival Dunaway in Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2019 12:22 AM

It was briefly banned in the UK

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2019 12:33 AM

Somebody post the Jimmy McNichol nudes.

by Anonymousreply 16January 21, 2019 12:35 AM

Jimmy nude

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 21, 2019 12:38 AM

Thanks, R17. Naked twinks are delightful.

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2019 12:39 AM

The new-ish Blu-Ray is really great and probably the best the movie will ever look. It's a great, underrated movie. The performances are better than average, the story is lurid fun, and it's never boring. It's not a terribly stylish movie and looks a bit like a TV movie, but that kinda adds to its bizarre charm. A movie that looks that safe shouldn't be so fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2019 12:40 AM

You nailed the atmosphere, R19!

I kept thinking: this is like the after school special from HELL

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2019 3:31 AM

After school special from Hell! LOL! That really is the vibe. I'm still shocked by how wacky and lurid this movie gets. It's a great movie to show to potential friends. If they get it and enjoy it, you can keep them around.

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2019 3:52 AM

Anyone know the reason for the alternate titles or why neither seems to make much sense?

by Anonymousreply 22January 25, 2019 6:56 PM

Night Warning was its US release title for some reason and makes it look like a teenage slasher film, which were all the rage at the time. Watch the trailer and you don't even get a good glimpse of Susan Tyrrell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 25, 2019 7:53 PM

Night Warning was the general US title for theatrical, video, and TV. It was recently re-released on DVD and Blu-Ray from Code Red as Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker. No idea why they changed the title. I guess, as the previous poster said, it was done to cash in on the slasher boom and make people think it was a teen slasher.

Still...what the fuck is a Night Warning. What a stupid title.

Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker carries on that Grand Dame Guinol flavor. Even at the time, it felt like a movie Joan Crawford or Bette Davis would have starred in somewhere in the mid-60's. It always felt like something from a different time brought into the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 24January 25, 2019 7:55 PM

Jimmy was fiiine

by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2019 6:42 AM

I worship this movie.

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2019 6:54 AM

R11 forgot to mention the film is directed by Bewitched producer-director and Elizabeth Montgomery’s ex William Asher. He was married to Joyce Bulifant at the time so that’s how she’s on the soundtrack.

Asher also directed the majority of I Love Lucy episodes. He’s the one who directed Vivian Vance to have sufficient. A DL icon for sure!

by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2019 11:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!