Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HELP! I want to ask my boss to let me work from home.

I work in a small office, and my job is very independent of my coworkers. I really don't have much interaction with them other than we sit together. My commute is almost two hours each way, a fact I knew going into it, so there's one strike against me. It's a really good job and pays well, I don't want to leave and find something else. But this commute is killing me, by Thursday I'm so drained physically and mentally I'm not at my optimum performance.

I want to ask my boss to let me work from home. I will say that the time I save not commuting can be spent working and being productive. I know he won't go for every day, so maybe I start small and ask to try out Wednesdays? That gives me a break in the middle of the week from my commuting hell.

Have any of you made this request, and how did it go? I'm very passive and hate asking for things.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2018 11:17 PM

I'd ask for Mondays or Fridays - why the MIDDLE of the week? Doesn't make sense.

Just tell your boss the truth. Be honest. Ask his advice on this issue, rather than "telling him".

You weren't to know how much the long commute would affect you - so don't consider it "one strike against" you.

by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2018 1:48 PM

Reconsider. The minute you make the request, even if they grant you just Wednesday? They'll be looking for your replacement.

So while you're off on those Wednesdays, they'll be holding interviews for someone who lives closer and whom they can pay less.

Also, you trying to bargain with them and say the time not commuting can be spent working.... isn't really an incentive to them. Your commute is your problem, not theirs.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2018 1:54 PM

I told my boss that by working from home , all the mom's could leave on time as I would pick up slack until 6pm due to not having to commute. I would just have them give me unfinished business. call backs ,etc. So it worked great. I worked from home last 3 years of my career. I actually got a Dr.s excuse due to perfume allergies , The fraus were literally killing me with all their product!

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2018 1:56 PM

Two hours each way? Wow. I feel for you. The boss in your small office doesn’t recognize this would be a major drain on anyone, and offer you work from home a couple days a week, at least?

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 2:00 PM

Nearly everyone I know does at least a few days work from home. It's so common that your boss won't even flinch.

Asking for 1-2 days per week is a great way to start. Once your boss is comfortable with that, more days may be offered.

Life for every other request, just make your case. Show how you could start earlier because you don't have to commute and that you're always available via phone or email. You'll come in on those days where there are important office meetings and such

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 2:02 PM

R4 I wasn't going even going to interview for the job when the recruiter first told me where it was, but after I learned more about the company and the salary, I reconsidered. And apparently it's illegal (?) for employers to ask where you live or about the commute during an interview, I thought that was odd (my recruiter told me not to mention it).

My boss is nice and i think he'd understand, but I'm certain he'll worry that if he grants me this privilege, the others will want it too. Granted, they all live a short subway ride away, but still.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 2:05 PM

[quote]And apparently it's illegal (?) for employers to ask where you live or about the commute during an interview, I thought that was odd (my recruiter told me not to mention it).

Yes, that is true. They aren't supposed to ask you anything about where you live. They really aren't supposed to ask you anything that is personal.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 2:07 PM

You live in Boston, right? I do too and my commute is 2 hours on a good day. Boston commutes are worse than any in the country: ny, chicago, LA... None of them compare to this nightmare.

So i tried that too: can i please just work from home one day? Please?

No. Everyone is in commuting hell. Unlike me, they also have small children and would like to be with them at home. If they do it for me, they have to do it for everyone. Sorry, no can do.

Good luck. Come back and tell us the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 2:09 PM

No, I think employers have the right to ask for your home address.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 2:10 PM

No, they don't R9. Only after you've been hired.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2018 2:16 PM

OP, how long have you been with the company?

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2018 2:16 PM

Before making a formal request, can you ask to work the odd day at home for a while to help make your case?

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2018 2:17 PM

I've been with the company one year. I told myself I'd tough it out to the 1 year mark and re-evaluate. Honestly if I didn't like the company/product so much I'd probably start looking for something else, closer to home. But I also can't imagine doing this commute for the rest of my career.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2018 2:20 PM

R10, what is your source for that? I find it hard to believe that employers would accept a resume or application without an address.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2018 2:21 PM

R14... What didn't you understand about, "They can't ask you during the interview?"

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 2:23 PM

My company still makes applicants fill out an application, which asks for address. It must be different in your state.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 2:26 PM

R15, I’m saying it doesn’t matter whether they ask in the interview or not. They already know where you live by that point.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2018 2:27 PM

OP, have you considered moving closer to your job? If you do like it and plan on staying with the company, why not find an apartment near work for a year and see how that goes?

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2018 2:27 PM

R14 When I was looking for work, I was told by several HR people not to include my address on the resume BECAUSE of this. I live in a commuting suburb 20 miles north of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 2:27 PM

Of course you have to put your address on an application but they are not allowed to ask about your commute and question how you'll get to work. I'm currently job hunting and online forms always ask address, you can't skip it. However, I don't put my address on my resume. I just have my name, number and email at the top. Some recruiters only look at resume and don't check your profile till later.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2018 2:29 PM

Yes, R17, but that's not the argument. They are technically not supposed to ask you any personal information in an interview because it can been as discriminatory. For instance, even if they already know your address, based on your application or resume, they cannot ask you, "so you live an hour away, is that going to be a problem?"

They can't bring it up.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2018 2:29 PM

Be careful what you wish for. I started working from home 5 years ago, and everyone feels they can call or email me anytime they want.

I'm in CA, but the calls start East Coast time- "Oh, it's 5 there? Sorry". Yes, you dumb cunt- it's the same 3 hour difference every fucking day!

Great working in pj bottoms though, and my dry cleaning bill went to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2018 2:30 PM

Good luck, OP and keep us updated.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2018 2:32 PM

My office has a great wfh policy. It’s nice that I don’t have to be a parent or give a reason to wfh. It’s automatically allowed, one day a week. Since the whole staff is used to it, there aren’t any issues with you not being on site. I’m very conscientious on the wfh days. I Make sure I answer emails promptly so that I am not accused of slacking off.

Good luck op.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2018 2:34 PM

Another question OP... are you exempt or do you have set work hours? If it's the latter, does your company offer a 4/40 or 9/80 or any combination of those?

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2018 2:35 PM

R25 We are all salaried ,so no clock-punching or anything, but expected work hours are 9-5. And there's only four of us in this office (the main office is in Europe).

My boss is a reasonable guy, so I'm leaning towards him letting me do it. I'm just worried that if he does say no, then I look like a slacker for asking. It may also send me the message that he doesn't care if I stay or go; accommodating my request would show he's willing to make me happy in order to stay.

We have our weekly 1-on-1 meeting on Friday, at the end of which he asks if I have anything else to discuss. I figure I'll bring it up then.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2018 2:44 PM

Op how about living closer to this job as someone suggested?

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2018 2:52 PM

R27 We own our house and like it where we live. If my commute was simply to Manhattan, it wouldn't be as bad (1 hour). But my job is in the outer boroughs so it takes me almost an hour from Grand Central to get there. Driving would take the same amount of time, on a good day, but at least taking the train I can read, nap, etc.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2018 2:55 PM

OP, you’ve been there a year. You know your boss and office culture and corporate values more than any one here.

If you see that no one is working from home, even if they have been there for many years, it’s probably not something that is done.

Read your employment manual, it may already outline the company’s policy regarding working from home.

If you ask, have data to back up your arguments, and outline how you will meet and/or exceed certain expectations directly correlated to working from home.

Don’t argue that you will get more work done, because that is already expected from you regardless of commute.

There has to be something about working from home that will add value to the company. If you cannot outline that in writing, and provide projections to back that up, don’t bother.

I also strongly suggest that you start looking for employment where you can work from home.

I just googled “convincing your employer to allow you to telecommute “. Tons of articles on this. I’m pretty sure they all say pretty much what I advised.

Good luck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2018 2:57 PM

I would stick with asking for Wednesday, not Monday or Friday. If you ask for Monday or Friday they will just assume you want to get started on an early weekend.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2018 3:03 PM

If OP is a competent and productive employee, not necessarily, r30. Though I see your point.

Another concern is security. Not sure what OP does for a living, but lots of companies say no to working from home due to IT security and protocols.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2018 3:09 PM

What does your boss look like?

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2018 4:51 PM

More than likely you'll be replaced if you request to work from home since this option was not offered from the get go. Unless you are EXTREMELY valuable to the company, you'll be replaced by someone who works a hop and a skip away. I personally experienced this but it was a little different in the sense that the company was originally located 20 minutes from me and 2 years in the fucking owner decided to move my dept. to bumfuck Glen Cove. On a nice sunny day it would take me 1hr and 40 minutes and then i'd walk for 20 minutes (no shade of tree or anything) when it snowed it was horrendous since only people with cars lived there they didn't care about cleaning the sidewalks. I endured this for 2 years until I told my boss I was it was affecting my health and taking its toll on my mental, he was very understanding but a few weeks later some new broad showed up that he had hired, she lived a mere 5 minutes away and drove to and from her fucking house. All she did was complain and literally fucked one of the guys who worked there a week into her employment and complained about his weak cock and dirty pillows lol. I quit that place an never turned back and I am so much happier now, the commute can literally kill you and wear you down until you can no longer have the energy to do things you had always enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2018 5:18 PM

I heard companies are really moving against this. They know employees develop bad habits. If there are some traffic policies or something like this look into those. are there others in your office/company working from home? If you are out of the loop, it is also bad for your career and job safety.

You know more about the work you do, office politics/policy and such.

Hope it all works out for you!

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2018 6:14 PM

Good luck OP. I'm not sure someone who describes their performance as less than optimum should be asking for any favors.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2018 8:37 PM

I think your instinct is correct. Start small, ask him to allow it one day or two a week. It will be a nice break for you and a compromise. Demonstrate you can be as productive from home as from the office.

by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2018 8:40 PM

[quote]My commute is almost two hours each way, a fact I knew going into it, so there's one strike against me.

Was the issue of your commute ever raised during the interview process? Did your boss ever ask whether the commute would be a problem for you? If it was ever raised, then asking to work from home now is not a good idea.

[quote] I will say that the time I save not commuting can be spent working and being productive.

You may as well announce you're half-assing your job now. Suggesting that the existing commute that you do right now is making you less productive is not a good idea. The commute is your problem, not your bosses.

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2018 9:30 PM

So what happened?

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2018 5:03 PM

FWIW, I don't agree with the opinions that you are obligated in perpetuity to the original terms of your employment agreement. Obviously a fundamental basis of free market capitalism is agreements can be renegotiated. If your company was losing money they wouldn't be shy about telling you they are cutting your benefits, regardless what you were promised when you were hired.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2018 5:24 PM

[quote] Be careful what you wish for. I started working from home 5 years ago, and everyone feels they can call or email me anytime they want. I'm in CA, but the calls start East Coast time- "Oh, it's 5 there? Sorry". Yes, you dumb cunt- it's the same 3 hour difference every fucking day!

Why don't you turn your ringer off, dummy?

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2018 5:27 PM

R38 Well... I was prepared to ask him at the end of our weekly 1-on-1 meeting, but before I could he surprised me with an offer of a promotion, which I gladly accepted, so it either would have been perfect timing to ask to work from home or horrible timing. However, since this new role involves more content writing and creation, I could reason that I need less distractions at the office and would perform better from home, which I think he'd understand more. I will wait another month, after i've proven myself in this new role, to request this.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2018 5:35 PM

[quote]I could reason that I need less distractions at the office and would perform better from home

No offense OP / R41 but looking at your previous threads... sounds like you have too many distractions at home too!

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2018 5:37 PM

R42 my biggest distraction anywhere is the DL! I'm hopelessly addicted.

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2018 5:40 PM

OP you definitely need to have the courage to follow through and make the request, since you can't consider moving closer. This is no way to live, spending 1/2 as long as the workday itself travelling. How do you have any energy remaining in the evening to have a life? Perhaps you can pull this off now because you are young, but I don't think this is sustainable into your "mature" years.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2018 5:41 PM

I sort of think promotion was a great time. "OK. Since you're happy, let me propose a way you could get more productive hours out of me..."

Congrats on the promotion.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2018 5:42 PM

If you work creating content that sounds doable as a work from home type of role. I’m still floored at a two hour each way commute. If you’re young, own a home and partnered I guess that makes it a little more tolerable.

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2018 5:44 PM

Mazel Mazel on your promo OP!

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2018 5:45 PM

I worked from home for a long time. For myself, I found it hard to stay focused, and hated how solitary my life became. In my current job I have the option to occasionally WFH, and enjoy the best of both worlds.

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2018 5:49 PM

My company encourages work from home/remote work for employees who can do so. They've also hired more people who are totally remote so I guess they saw the benefit. My only problem is my current manager only allows 2 days a week and they have to be between Tues and Thurs; no Mon or Fri remote work schedule. With my last manager, the whole team was assigned 2 Mondays and 2 Fridays remotely plus another day during the week. I sometimes went in a remote day because it was easier to get somethings done.

It worked out great when I had my washer and dryer delivered. Rather than sit home and do nothing for 1/2 or the entire day, I was able to have them installed while I was working.

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2018 8:09 PM

In fact, I've had the same experience, deliveries, home repairs, vet appointments, rather than disrupt a half-day or more of productivity and use up personal time or call in sick, I just WFH and put in more time than I would have otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2018 8:12 PM

Some of these commenters act like OP is asking for the moon when WFM is becoming very common, even recommended HR policy. There are reasons smart employers are embracing it.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2018 8:14 PM

R49 here. I feel your pain, OP. I bought a condo in northern NJ in 1999 and less than a year later, found myself working downtown NYC by Wall Street. Drove to the train station, took the train to Hoboken, then NY Waterway ferry, and finally thefree shuttle bus to the front door of my building. I was commuting 2 hours each way as well. I fondly remember craving a hot dog cooked on a grill. 8 pm, there I am one night, lighting the grill and making myself a hot dog!

After the Twin Towers went down, it was Hoboken to the NY Waterway ferry and a short walk to the office. Did that commute for 4 years. I'd finally had enough of having no life. Saved about $15k, received my final bonus, and gave notice. There was no way I could interview with a commute like that. An 8 am dentist appt put me in the office around 11.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2018 8:16 PM

Thanks all. FYI I'm not exactly young anymore, in my 40s. The only positive thing I can say about the commute from hell is that my husband and I can ride the train together, and have that time to talk or just hold hands and watch the scenery. It's definitely better than driving, which we've tried but was horrible. His commute is shorter because his office is right by the terminal, whereas I have to take two subways and a walk to get to mine.

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2018 8:34 PM

Well, kind of cool you share the ride like that, get a seat and can be cozy & romantic, but still sounds like it sucks TBH! My fave commute was close enough I could walk, a bit under 45 min..... Sometimes I biked in good weather. Very short bus ride. Did that for a few years. It's what I look for now "little village feel". (Even though I'm in Chicago) Currently self-employed requiring some travel, but if I work for someone else again, it has to be close.

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2018 8:58 PM

It's very doubtful you'll be able to do this without pissing off your coworkers. People aren't reasonable. Your reasoning will mean NOTHING to them.

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2018 9:08 PM

R55 Ha. Actually, since we're such a small team and have gotten to know each other well, my coworkers have been encouraging me to ask about working from home. They know my commute sucks balls.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2018 9:15 PM

OP: Give it a try! If they like your work enough, they may let you do it. I work from home (IT - I have everything I need to do my job remotely). I had a work history with them when they asked me to come back to the company (large publishing company in NYC). I made telecommuting, along with split hours, a requirement for acceptance. Previous employers complained and I stopped working for them. Granted, I am a freelancer, so I have more flexibility. I doubt they would comply if I was FT.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2018 11:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!