Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sens Tom Cotton and David Perdue LIE that they didn't hear Trump say "shithole" (claim they heard "shit house")

The Post reports:

Three White House officials said Perdue and Cotton told the White House that they heard “shithouse” rather than “shithole,” allowing them to deny the president’s comments on television over the weekend. The two men initially said publicly that they could not recall what the president said.

Not only did these two repeatedly lie, but Cotton also impugned the integrity of Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), who told the truth. Asked whether the accusation that Trump spoke the offending words or the sentiment was phony, Cotton lied, “Yes.” He went on to say, “Senator Durbin has misrepresented what happened in White House meetings before, and he was corrected by Obama administration officials by it.”

Honorable men would resign after such a remarkable revelation of their crummy character; neither Cotton nor Perdue will. We still await the appearance of a single staffer of either who would quit in protest.

The incident is telling in many respects, but none more important for Republicans than this: They can lie and enable the president hoping to score brownie points, but this White House won’t repay loyalty in kind. Instead, Republicans will find themselves humiliated.

So to recap: The president described a preference for Norwegian (i.e. white) immigrants over those from “shithole” countries (African nations). He gave the Congressional Black Caucus the back of the hand. (“At one point, Durbin told the president that members of that caucus — an influential House group — would be more likely to agree to a deal if certain countries were included in the proposed protections, according to people familiar with the meeting. Trump was curt and dismissive, saying he was not making immigration policy to cater to the CBC and did not particularly care about that bloc’s demands, according to people briefed on the meeting. ‘You’ve got to be joking,’ one adviser said, describing Trump’s reaction.”) He blew up a possible deal on the Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals program, bragged about his actions to friends and then lied to the public about what he said. Two U.S. senators lied as well and then were double-crossed by White House aides.

This raises several questions: Why should these Republicans hold elected office? Why should anyone believe them in the future? And lastly, what is the appropriate response to them?

Given that the two senators lied to the faces of interviewers on the Sunday talk shows, network bookers might consider never having them on air again. They are known prevaricators, so whatever they say on their shows cannot be relied upon as credible. News outlets should respect their viewers by denying airtime for those with so little respect for the truth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2018 5:37 AM

Well, I'm shocked by this (said no one)!

They think they're sucking up to Dear Leader, but he'll throw this two under the bus over this - just watch!

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2018 7:47 PM

But Tom Cotton is a straight, masculine white man. DLers would forgive him and drop to their knees before him if he unzipped.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2018 7:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2018 7:59 PM

Miss Cotton is the Steve Miller type.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2018 1:02 PM

Well, obviously, "shit house" is SO much better.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2018 1:21 PM

They worst part is they said that the Democrat Durbin has a reputation of making up stuff, which he doesn't at all.

They not only lied about what the president said but cast doubts on Durbin's reliability--it's SICK what the GOP will do to cover up Trump's shit.

and yet, the White House just rolled right over them by admitting Trump likely said it. Trump is loyal to no one no matter how much you lick his ass.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2018 2:49 PM

What's even nuttier is that testifying yesterday before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Department of Homeland Security secretary Kristjen Nielsen doesn't know whether or not Norway is predominantly white.

These loyalists are fucking nuts.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2018 2:56 PM

These idiot Repugs are gonna spend all winter defending Trump with lies and deceit, and come spring when we're no longer freezing our nads off, they're gonna find out what happens when they piss off 60% of a country by rallying behind one of the worst human beings who has ever lived.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2018 3:01 PM

Perdue has had a career in competitive corporate management...obviously well experienced in spinning truth into something that appears to the contrary.

Cotton is not convincing at all. He is very ambitious and apparently will lie and backstab to please whomever he thinks will reward him. When he runs again for whatever, this will follow him. Dissing Durbin was quite low.

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2018 3:06 PM

Why would anyone deny it when it was said in front of a lot of people. Other Republicans (like Graham) verified it's the truth.

Hiding behind "it was Shit-house, not shit hole" is still lying.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2018 3:18 PM

R8 good point. Come late March and April, one would not be suprised to see mass demonstrations, perhaps beginning on college campuses. Demonstrations are often focused on single issues; but any number of them can spark protests. Peaceful pressure needs to be put on Congress; just focusing on Trump will do little. Congress and their major donors need to feel the heat. Only they can correct the course.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2018 3:18 PM

It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2018 3:24 PM

Cotton's story has changed three times, which tends to put a dent on his credibility.

Durbin's story has not changed at all.

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2018 3:32 PM

"Shithole countries"

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2018 3:33 PM

Senator Shithouse's presidential ambitions appear to be swirling down the shitter...

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 3:39 PM

I love how they know the President said it, but they can't admit a Democrat was right, so they lie some more so that headlines can continue to say "Trump didn't say shithole" (even though he most likely did, and worse things). They're shameless apologists, Tom Cotton especially - you can see his hunger for the Presidency from space.

Anyway, it's all theater, I don't really give a shithole about it, or see another hyperventilating article on the Guardian with a title similar to "Mr. President, My Country is Not a Shithole" (I have no idea if there is an article about this there but I assume there is. And even with their redesign we still have to look at a photo of the bastard who wrote it). Trump says and does more terrible things every week and focusing on stuff like this - which is bad and embarrassing for the US, but relatively minor when you consider Trump's actual crimes.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 4:16 PM

[quote] They not only lied about what the president said but cast doubts on Durbin's reliability--it's SICK what the GOP will do to cover up Trump's shit.

They will do anything to cover up and support trump. He's their big chance to gut Food Stamps, Medicaid/Medicare and to turn over control of Social Security to Wall St.

Look how fast they got the tax cuts passed. Expect more when they come back

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2018 4:19 PM

And this changes thing how?

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2018 4:47 PM

things - oops

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 4:48 PM

Cotton is a 100% bought-and-paid for Koch cuk.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2018 4:51 PM

So...my coworker just told me that Trump did not use the word “shit hole” and that Sen. Durbin is a known liar. 🙄

I told him that Trump never denied saying it.

And the lady who was under oath? She says she doesn’t recall the specific “tough” language the president used. So how can she be sure he DID NOT say “shit hole”...?

Hook up Cotton & Durbin to lie detectors.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2018 4:56 PM

Three White House staffers have admitted that it's what Trump said.

Trump is throwing Cotton under the bus

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2018 5:31 PM

Graham said it's what Trump said and he told him to stop.

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2018 5:32 PM

[quote]Senator Shithouse's presidential ambitions appear to be swirling down the shitter...

Senator Shithouse was specially selected for his seat by the King of the Neo-cons, Bill Kristol. Kristol is a Never Trumper extraordinaire. Cotton has gone off-script if he is taking Trump's side over Kristol's.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2018 5:36 PM

Oh, so he called several countries "shithouses" rather than "shitholes"?

I am so relieved.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2018 5:43 PM

Meghan McCain was so cunty to Senator Durbin today on The View. She dismissingly said to him, "With all due respect, I know what is in Tom Cotton's heart", then turned to sip her coffee.

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2018 5:48 PM

Does Meghan McCain know what was in Tom Cotton's ass last night?

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2018 5:51 PM

lying liars

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2018 5:52 PM

Tom Cotton was only speaking "his" truth.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2018 5:53 PM

In the grand scheme of things, I was not surprise that trump use profanity or racist language at a white house meeting on immigration. But, the way that the republican are talking about this, it is clear that they are extremely racist and the policies they want are anti-democratic. Trump wanted a clean daca bill, even though he is a racist, but the republican want a massive death squad or something. Trump just wants a bronze statue of a wall to get out of the whole thing. Again, it is the Republicans who are worse. Though, trump is massively unfit for public office.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2018 5:57 PM

[QUOTE] Anyway, it's all theater, I don't really give a shithole about it, or see another hyperventilating article on the Guardian with a title similar to "Mr. President, My Country is Not a Shithole" (I have no idea if there is an article about this there but I assume there is.

heh heh heh

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2018 5:59 PM

The Republicans need to put proposals on the floor and fucking vote. They fear something passing with 80% democratic support and 30% Republican support.

Ryan is partisan inept and McConnell is partisan devious.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2018 2:53 PM

Colbert mentioned last night that the GOP was floating the talking point that these countries don't have plumbing, so they have to use outhouses, so therefore "shithouse" is totes not racist.

That's the state of our national discourse now.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2018 2:59 PM

Cotton has verified that Durbin lied and the media won’t accept it.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2018 3:20 PM

Cotton is a piece of trash. I don't even think he is even as much of a white supremacist. He just sees nothing wrong with stoking racial intolerance for political gain. The worst kind of person

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2018 1:16 AM

what a couple of low life lying turds.

vote em both out of office asap !!!!

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2018 1:18 AM

[Quote] Tom Cotton is a straight

LMAO its well known Cotton is closeted

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2018 4:14 AM

Hey, Tom—

We’re gonna shit in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2018 5:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!