Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you friends with a liar?

My friend, Barb, lies all the time. Not about major things but small stuff. I'm constantly catching her in lies. Pisses me off.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2018 12:05 PM

I've been accused in the past of being a liar, but I just had really boring friends so I embellished our adventures to have something remotely interesting to talk about. That count?

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2018 11:53 AM

Since you're naming your "friend", OP, I assume this is an attempt at "My Friend Julie"-type humor?

Taking your post at face value, I don't have a friend like this, but I did have a boss like this once. No idea why he used to lie about mundane things, but he did so constantly.

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2018 12:17 PM

Unfortunately yes. My long time friend, whom I both love and hate at the same time, is a compulsive lair. I think I tolerate it because I believe that he's broken in some way and he can't help it.

But ultimately lies hurt. They are daggers.

I would warn anyone who's is beginning a new friendship with someone to listen to their gut instinct. If the new friend starts lying for no reason - dump them as friends and move on.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2018 12:21 PM

Not friends, but I work with one. Consistently lies that she completed tasks when she didn't, screwing up projects immensely, or makes huge mistakes and says she didn't do it. When we have proof that she did.

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2018 12:39 PM

Birds of a feather...

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2018 1:27 PM

Barb is a compulsive liar about stuff that really doesn't matter in the big scheme of life but it still bothers me. I've told her in the past to just stop lying but she doesn't. She's my oldest friend (since we were 6 years old). Any suggestions? OR Do I just suck it up like I have been doing for 39 years?

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2018 1:30 PM

I have a friend who absolutely REFUSES to acknowledge his real age and birthdate. He'd always told me he was younger than me and I took him at his word until one day I oversaw his DOB on his driver's license when we were at a restaurant together. Bitch is seven years older than me! I immediately called him out on it and reached for his license which he promptly snatched from my hands. When I insisted he show it to me he put his finger strategically over his DOB and held on for dear life as I tried to get it from him. The whole thing was so incredibly bizarre it actually gave me great pause about what type of person he is. Like what, I'm going to suddenly stop being his friend because of how old he is?? To this day he insists he's younger than me and I keep him at arm's length. If someone will lie about something so small and insignificant...

Then I *used* to have another friend/roommate who lied to me about being adopted. It was always clear as day to me because he has dark skin and yet when he'd show me family photos, both of his parents are white as can be. The first time I saw pictures of his parents, I jokingly said to him "I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but you're adopted!" He laughed it off and insisted he was not adopted. Then one day his father came to stay with us for a weekend and I overheard him on the phone with someone saying "Back when we adopted our son..." BOOM, case closed. I still to this day cannot figure out why the fuck he lied to me about being adopted. Like, who cares!? People are fucking weird.

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2018 2:28 PM

Gays hate getting older ..Just visit grindr or scruff and notice all the people who “left out” their age.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2018 2:50 PM

R4 Has your lying coworker been disciplined for lying about these important details and derailing projects? Want her gone? Keep compiling proof and get her booted.

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2018 2:56 PM

I have experienced the same scenarios, op. Within the last year I had to stop communications with a long time friend. His bald-face lies, distortions of reality, and secret drug use ended my caring about him. I can’t cut him out of my life entirely, because we really were close 10 years ago.

He still posts sad and pathetic memes on social media, as a means to get attention. I’ve sent him gifts for Christmas, and get no response, no thank you, no acknowledgement..

Sometimes you’ve got to cut the cord.

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2018 3:08 PM

Thanks for your responses. It is helpful. Barb lies!

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2018 3:19 PM

And Barb is still your friend? OP, I think you're lying! I think everyone lies, btw, now and again. The compulsive ones have a mental condition and you should avoid them.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2018 3:22 PM

Reasons:

Escape accountability.

Manipulate others to gain access to things they would not obtain otherwise

Embellish reality trying to improve self-esteem

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2018 3:29 PM

I know a guy like this, he's more of a big talker. What he says is true, but then he puts a spin on it, to make himself look better.

Like he was 24 and his basement flat flooded and he told me, "I could've sued my landlord, but I chose not to, I could've caused trouble, but I'm not like that." I was like you had a used mattress on the floor and some ketchup in the fridge.

He's what my granmammy calls a "big talker"

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2018 4:24 PM

[7] You sound like a very horrible friend and mean spirited not mention lacking very basic empathy. Your friends telling small lies should be the least of your concerns.

If you're not sensitive enough to figure out why a clearly adopted person would have issues accepting it or an older guy accepting his age than I sure hope you're either a teenager or a very immature adult.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2018 10:14 AM

of course.

most hot whores are liars, but how else does one get the hottest str8 meat on the market...

listen to their bullshit then fukkem up the asshole.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2018 10:16 AM

[quote]Are you friends with a liar?

You already asked this and we answered you. Oh, and you look easily ten years younger than you are.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2018 10:19 AM

My ex had a long-time friend who was a pathological liar. It irritated me and my ex put up with it.

The guy was really into baseball and most of the lies were about going to games, meeting players, etc. I don't care about baseball so it didn't impress me. I could never figure out why he was lying though.

He ended up marrying a woman and having kids--the ultimate lie.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2018 10:38 AM

My friend Julie is a huge liar.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 11:05 AM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2018 11:12 AM

R20, don’t use the Datalounge ratio rating when it’s fucking obvious you don’t know what it means.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2018 9:03 AM

R7, you sound crazy.

Your friend was sensitive about being adopted, especially after your dumb joke. And grabbing that other friend's license and trying to keep it away from him while you shrieked about his age? Jesus, dude, you're an asshole, and people lie to you just to keep you from acting like an embarrassing them all.

by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2018 10:05 AM

My best friend Barbara said he cheats and he lies She couldn't wait for me to break up with him Now Jimmy's Barbara's guy My best friend Barbara

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2018 10:18 AM

My longest relationship turned out to be with a liar. 13 years. I guess at about 11 the lies were revealed and I kept thinking they were one offs. I must be dense. He was going through a very rough patch. Lies to friends, family and at work, too.

He's been with a new guy who seems normal for a long time, so I think he must have stopped lying or that guy is, right now, about due for the same rude awakening.

Some of my friends lie more than others. As I get older, I realise - and its surprise - that its not that important at all if the lie isn't hurtful or dangerous to others. A lot of people just lie because of their ego issues.

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2018 11:18 AM

I noticed that in some cultures, lying is a way of life. There are a lot of two-faced cultures, or layered cultures. "Public" face or "Devout" face and private face.

I am struck that Al Franken made a political name with himself with a book about the rights lying ways. And has now been brought down by a pack of liars.

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2018 11:21 AM

I think people should be very cautious with Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, who seems to be capable bullshitter.

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2018 11:24 AM

Yes, he lies to manipulate, but about everything else he tells the absolute truth. Strange.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2018 12:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!