Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Milk thistle and weight loss

Has anyone experienced this? Is it possible if your liver is becoming healthier? Has anyone experienced benefits besides weight loss?

by Anonymousreply 71February 19, 2018 4:30 AM

Well?

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2018 7:06 AM

Is this the new miracle herb? Why doesn’t somebody just combine them all into one supplement?

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2018 7:07 AM

Just remember that these are all pharmaceuticals and can interact with other meds. Do your research.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2018 7:12 AM

It's a herb...

by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2018 7:14 AM

No, it has no benefit despite countless trials. It is said to be everything from a slow down for cancer (the claim is it doesn't stop it, but slows down the progress of the disease), to an antidote for mushroom poisoning.

The only proven thing it does is stimulate estrogen production and has accounted for breast milk in men, in a very tiny portion (less than 2%) of those on studies.

Currently there are NO medical treatments for weight loss that do not involve either stimulants (like uppers) or a fen phen type of drug, which are hazardous to your heart.

Just simply eat less and exercise more and you WILL lose weight. Although you'd like to think you were thin, till you ate one large pizza and you gained 50 pounds overnight, that didn't happen. You didn't gain it all at once, and you can't lose it all at once, it takes time.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2018 7:33 AM

So this stuff cures cancer and burns fat? Where can I get a bottle?

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2018 7:37 AM

I heard it makes your dick bigger. Could that be true?

by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2018 7:45 AM

R5, good advice. I have a friend who has a seriously damaged heart valve, due to fen phen use years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2018 7:47 AM

Studies have shown it helps the liver doctors prescribe it for liver disease, hepatitis ect. It does have proven benefits R5

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2018 7:52 AM

If your liver loses fat from milk thistle shouldn't this also aid weight Loss?

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2018 8:27 AM

I've had mild to medium degree of liver dysfunction and regular use of milk thistle and dandelion helped me regain better function and lose weight. They also have a diuretic effect and help with fluid retention

I'd be cautious about using them if you have serious liver dysfunction and always clear taking stuff like this with a dr who prescribes your meds as there can be interactions

For people who have healthy livers, taking stuff like this won't seem to make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2018 10:18 AM

What are some symptoms of liver dysfunction?

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2018 2:50 PM

It absolutely does have a proven effect on mushroom poisoning. In fact, a milk thistle concentrate IV and activated charcoal is what you'll be given in the emergency room if you come in ill with that. As for home use, people generally use it for fatty, sluggish liver as a result of hepatitis, bad food, alcohol abuse etc. All other health claims that don't concern the liver are pretty much bs. And it definitely won't cure you of (advanced) cirrhosis, let alone liver cancer.

R12 I had hot flashes on one side of my face (as a young guy!), sweated a lot, and was tired all the time. I don't know how other experience fatty liver.

by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2018 3:09 PM

The guy at the health food store recommended milk thistle and dandelion root for my eyebags.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2018 3:28 PM

R14 how does it help eye bags? Has it helped you?

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2018 4:00 PM

These types of supplements are incredibly dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2018 4:16 PM

No, the studies that show it helps alcoholics and others with liver dysfunction used too small a sample to be medically significant and are not credible.

For hepatitis, the group was 16 participants and 9 showed no improvement and the rest showed slight improvement. It does reduce inflammation of the liver which is why some of these people were helped a bit, but other drugs reduce it much better.

For mushrooms it has been shown to be effective in some animals but not humans. In some animals it completely counteracts, but not in humans, and only some mushrooms.

It also has properties similar to ragweed and some flowers like daisies, so if you are allergic, it could provoke a similar reaction, which is normally just irritating (such as ragweed) but not deadly.

Overall it's relatively benign and it appears outside of an allergy or possible drug interaction with a prescription it would be safe to take.

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2018 4:33 PM

You can substitute milk thistle for spinach if you remove the spiny parts.

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2018 4:36 PM

Doctors prescribe milk thistle and is touted as the most gentle herb supplement there is, so I don't understand the people on here saying it's dangerous or has no effects...

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2018 7:11 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2018 10:23 PM

R13 a few of my liver readings in medical tests were bad until I reintroduced my daily dose of dandelion root and milk thistle. My tests are showing everything within normal range now except for bilirubin being too low and that's most likely from too much caffeine

Have you looked into the livercleansing diet? A dr came up with that

by Anonymousreply 21January 16, 2018 11:13 PM

Careful guys, this herb caused me great pain and my gall bladder never recovered, proceed with caution or better yet don't use it

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2018 11:19 PM

A nice gentle liver cleanse is to boil 1 cup raisins in 3 cups water. Let it sit overnight and strain in the morning. Drink 1 to 2 tbsps in the morning until the solution is finished. One to two weeks of this treatment will help the liver start to work better and help reduce fatty deposits. Kickstart weight loss by adding a tsp of organic honey (with pollen) into a glass of warm to hot water upon waking. It also helps to lower cholesterol. I've tried both of these methods and they're not only gentle, but extremely effective.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2018 11:25 PM

I had an herbalist caution me against milk thistle, too, R22. Thanks for letting people know that not everything herbal is benign.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2018 11:28 PM

R21. R22, I appreciate your kind advice. I've only been using nettle tea, after being advised that would be helpful

R23, I'm bookmarking your advice as well.

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2018 11:29 PM

One more thing about weight loss: this is the wrong time of year to try. It's winter and the body wants to insulate and will hold onto the fat, so it's pretty hard to start a weight loss program this time of year. Not impossible, but harder than it should be. After a long time of being unable to lose weight (I'm over 60), I finally saw an Ayurvedic practitioner. She advised me to wait until the spring, when everything goes liquid and she was right. The weight literally melted off. Now I maintain that weight loss through the winter by careful eating (main meal at lunch, nothing after 6pm) and I'm going to finally shoot for the last 10lbs this spring. I've also taken up snowshoeing so I can keep up the walking. I paid her a lot of money for this advice and it was worth it. Please accept this as my gift for everything I've ever learned here and for that lovely "I found this kitty" thread.

by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2018 11:34 PM

I remember a while back I used a detox cleansing kit and it had milk thistle in it and holy fuck! I felt like my intestines were being scraped out with glass. Not pleasant. I had to cut the program after only 3 days.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2018 11:34 PM

It's true about the mushroom poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2018 11:34 PM

I have never heard of ill effects from milk thistle where is your science to back you up??

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2018 6:23 AM

[quote][R5], good advice. I have a friend who has a seriously damaged heart valve, due to fen phen use years ago.

When Mary Frann from [italic]Newhart[/italic] died, the tabloids said that killed her.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2018 6:49 AM

If you decide to give milk thistle a try, OP, make sure you check for drug interactions first. I once took it as a liver tonic/cleanse and it worked so well, it rendered one of my medications ineffective (Lamictal). It destabilized my mood and sent me into a deep depression.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2018 1:03 PM

Bless you, Miss R26

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2018 1:33 PM

Milk thistle doesnt help with weight loss. it's bullshit. it does help the liver. my friend has been taking this supplement for years and he drinks like a fish, as in 4, 5 days a week, at least 8 pints and some shots every time he drinks. he gets medical check ups every year and his liver is normal according to results. he swears to me it's the milk thistle.

i have heard that in germany, they prescribe you this herb if you have liver problems like hep b etc.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2018 2:11 PM

also i would really take a look who funded the research studies. you know those pharma cunts want you hooked on their drugs forever.

but definitely be careful where you buy your vitamins, I believe GNC and CVS was sued by some states for having crap in their "vitamins". i'm too lazy to google but i saw it reported on the evening news a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2018 2:15 PM

Milk Thistle definitely helps the liver, but it probably does Jack Squat for wight loss.

by Anonymousreply 35January 17, 2018 2:25 PM

Milk Thistle has nothing on Goop's coffee enema.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 17, 2018 2:33 PM

If you're sensitive to pollen or know you are allergic to dandelions, don't take milk thistle. My mom is highly allergic and took milk thistle and it made her sick.

Get an allergy test first if you're going to take it.

by Anonymousreply 37January 17, 2018 2:35 PM

The body detoxes naturally. Detox programs are a scam.

by Anonymousreply 38January 17, 2018 11:19 PM

If you have fatty liver, whether from alcohol or obesity, inulin is the only think I know that is verifiably proven to help. It reduces liver fat but it’s not instant. It takes about 6-9 months but there is a measurable improvement. It comes in powder form with a little measuring scoop and is slightly sweet. Put two little scoops in a glass and stir in some water (in this order or it will turn into goopy blobs) or put it on your oatmeal or smoothie.

by Anonymousreply 39January 17, 2018 11:28 PM

r21, which brand of milk thistle and dandelion do you use?

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2018 11:31 PM

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2018 11:38 PM

R40 I just buy them by the scoop at the market in Perth right now. Cheaper than packs of Hilda Hemmes.

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2018 11:39 PM

R40 I generally steep a dessertspoon of the dandelion and a teaspoon of the thistle daily and drink like tea throughout the morning

R38, whether through disease or genetics, not everyone has full functionalty of those organs. In our family we have several hereditary liver conditions. The liver cleansing diet and certain supplements help balance this out. Consider yourself lucky not to need such aids, but don't dismiss what you are fortunate enough not to require an intimate understanding of.

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2018 2:58 AM

Milk Thistle is an estrogen mimic. Unless you're actually sick with some kind of liver disease or have an estrogen deficiency, you should not be taking this.

by Anonymousreply 44January 18, 2018 3:06 AM

It can interact with statins too.

by Anonymousreply 45January 18, 2018 4:05 AM

What happens if the body receives extra estrogen? I read milk thistle actually helps regulates hormones. Has anyone with liver problems noticed good effects if so what were they and how did you feel?

by Anonymousreply 46January 18, 2018 6:49 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 47January 19, 2018 6:52 AM

R46 the differences were basically in results from lab readings for ALT levels etc but I've noticed that when I've been on stuff like nizoral meds (before they were banned) that really push the liver, I'd get a nasty, itchy rash on my right shin which a dr referred to as a liver rash. Now my levels are better, I don't get it anymore. Nizoral also messed with my blood sugar and gave me migraines even after I realised I couldnt afford to eat junk food when taking it.

by Anonymousreply 48January 19, 2018 7:37 AM

If it reduces liver fat wouldn't it atleast reduce stomach fat as Well?

by Anonymousreply 49January 20, 2018 7:13 AM

I was diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis in 1999, and the doc told me I was well on the way to sclerosis of the liver.

I started a regimen of milk thistle and dandelion root and in two months my liver was normal.

As for any other usage I have heard nothing,

by Anonymousreply 50January 20, 2018 8:27 AM

No, r49. The "fat" of a fatty liver is not the same as what's malingering on your ass.

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2018 2:28 AM

OMG I am mortified, and none of you guys "oh deared" me! Bless your hearts that was kind.

I don't know if I was just sleep deprived or if I had a momentary brain tumor, but instead of cirrhosis I typed sclerosis.

I only came back here because I have gotten several upvotes on the post, so I came back to review what I had written and BAM!! I saw it.

DLers can be very nice when they want to be. ty

by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2018 5:05 AM

So what's the verdict? Not that many stories we want friends stories too!

by Anonymousreply 53January 22, 2018 7:02 AM

R52 sclerosis is an abnormal hardening of tissue so you were right anyway. Sclerotic liver is known as cirrhosis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 22, 2018 10:49 AM

I swear it's helping me lose weight, it must be possible...

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2018 6:12 AM

It is possible I suppose R55. I would think that anything which "cleans" your liver might cleanse other things in one's system, and that could be beneficial.

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2018 10:34 AM

I wonder if it helps regulate your sugar better seeing as it helps the liver?

by Anonymousreply 57January 26, 2018 5:06 AM

Proven to assist in weight loss and overall health. . .add as much heat as you can tolerate to your meals with chili peppers, garlic, curry and especially tumeric, and any kind of hot sauce. Also add fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchee, organic apple cider vinegar with mother. Recommend using it as salad dressing with a dab or organic honey and fresh citrus juice.

Phentermine was suddenly taken off the market early last November without an official explanation. Earlier patient who were prescribed the drug were required to have regular heart exams, and advised to limit use to 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 58January 26, 2018 1:33 PM

What?? I just bought some phentermine.

by Anonymousreply 59January 26, 2018 2:54 PM

R59, Did you buy authentic phentermine from a doctor? Details please for a friend who wants the info.

by Anonymousreply 60January 26, 2018 5:59 PM

Anyone here use milk thistle?

by Anonymousreply 61January 30, 2018 7:09 AM

Yes, R52, but don't push your luck.

R59, I think phentermine is bad stuff.

by Anonymousreply 62January 30, 2018 8:02 AM

Makes me puke when I drink....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 30, 2018 8:26 AM

Does it actually make people puke if they drink?

by Anonymousreply 64January 31, 2018 9:08 AM

You sad fucking [bold]idiots.[/bold]

I've got a bridge...

by Anonymousreply 65January 31, 2018 9:26 AM

Thanks for being so cunty, r65. Now I won't have to read any more of your shit.

by Anonymousreply 66January 31, 2018 9:31 AM

It works!

by Anonymousreply 67February 4, 2018 8:32 PM

It works. You need to spend your money on it. I would buy a year's supply at least OP, just in case Big Pharma tries to shut it down. You don't want to miss out. And it takes at least 6 months to become effective, so maybe you can buy a two or three year supply.

by Anonymousreply 68February 4, 2018 8:41 PM

[quote] Doctors prescribe milk thistle and is touted as the most gentle herb supplement there is, so I don't understand the people on here saying it's dangerous or has no effects...

You are really stupid. It can interact with a lot of medications, especially drugs like blood thinners. You know them? They're drugs that people take to prevent them from having another stroke. Can you see how Milk Thistle can be a problem? They can have an effect on seizure medications and interfere with birth control pills too

Stop playing internet doctor

by Anonymousreply 69February 18, 2018 7:52 AM

Where is that info from R69?

by Anonymousreply 70February 19, 2018 3:22 AM

You need to clear all herbs with your MD before taking them if you are already taking meds and have conditions

by Anonymousreply 71February 19, 2018 4:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!