Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Two parents are arrested as their 13 emaciated children aged between two and 29 are found chained and shackled

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600January 21, 2018 6:49 AM

Religious nutbaggery strikes again. A vagina is not God's personal clown car.

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2018 10:48 PM

Holy sh*t!!!đŸ˜”đŸ˜”đŸ˜”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2018 10:50 PM

Arrested for moral turpintude.

Horrible,the way they let their kids' faces become all mashed-up looking.

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2018 10:52 PM

What in the world did they do for a living?

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2018 10:53 PM

Weird haircuts/facial hair is always a sign of insanity - obviously this guy, the bowl haircuts on a few mass shooting killers, Unabomber, the long crazy beard on assorted nuts.

Haircuts are important!

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2018 10:57 PM

California. Enough said.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2018 10:59 PM

Their wedding was conducted by an Elvis impersonator.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2018 11:01 PM

They're letting her sister have it on her Facebook page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2018 11:01 PM

R1, getting married by an Elvis impersonator doesn’t say religious nutcase to me, it just says nutcase.

I’m getting Poyle family from Always Sunny vibes from these folks, or maybe Bretheren that got excommunicated.

by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2018 11:04 PM

What is Perris, California like? Do crazy people tend to live there/

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2018 11:08 PM

Guessing this is in America where social services don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2018 11:12 PM

You may one day be able to know a heterosexual life if you want it desperately enough. If you pursue it with the fervor with which you annihilate. đŸ˜Č

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2018 11:12 PM

So the mother's sister, who hss 7 kids, has a GoFundMe page for her family - weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2018 11:16 PM

I looked the house up on Google Maps. It's the worst maintained house on the street. All the other houses are quite well maintained, nice yards, This house is also probably the smallest house on the street. The front yard is a wreck. I'm sure there is an HOA in that neighborhood. I can't believe they let them keep their place looking like such a dump. I can't figure out what that mess is on the outside wall on either side of the front door. Maybe a stucco repair they never painted over?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2018 11:31 PM

R10, back in the 1980s when I was growing up, Perris was the boonies. Large sections of trailer parks surrounded by miles of farmland. Then in the 1990-2000s there was a housing boom, and new middle class communities sprang up like poppies in a desert field. Then, it all went bust, and Perris was the epicenter of the foreclosure trend in the Riverside/Inland Empire region.

by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2018 11:35 PM

I wonder how many of children they sexually molested

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2018 11:41 PM

1: at least one of the younger ones is most assuredly the child of one of the older ones and the father.

2: I am confused about the logistics - tje level of deprivation needed to make an almost 30 year old woman look like a child goes beyond the amount of time they would have been chained up, that's usually years and years of constant malnutrition to stunt growth. But, we see pictures of them out and about.

Did they chain the kids permanently and then take them to Disney every few years? How come none of them scattered while out and about? I need details to see how it could go like it did (I am not discounting this, I just don't understand it)

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2018 11:49 PM

It is very strange to look at the pictures from the wedding and consider that some of the "kids" pictured are actually well into adulthood. The girls' long dresses and hair give them a Manson girl quality.

R17, I too wonder why no one noticed anything wrong with this family when they were on group outings, etc. Are the older siblings mentally incapacitates in some way, or were they presented as such?

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2018 11:51 PM

Are they a normal weight in the photos? Did the starvation happen recently? Hope they go to jail. Poor kids/people, who will help them regain their sanity?

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2018 11:53 PM

We'll always have Perris ...

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2018 11:57 PM

[quote]moral turpintude.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2018 11:57 PM

R21 cannot recognise puns

by Anonymousreply 22January 16, 2018 12:09 AM

We need a Lifetime movie, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, starring Winona Ryder and Rhys Ifans.

by Anonymousreply 23January 16, 2018 12:12 AM

Seven of them are over 18 and the 17-year-old was mistaken for a 10-year-old. If the older ones are allowing themselves to be chained up, I'm thinking a life time of deprivation in a cult.

by Anonymousreply 24January 16, 2018 12:14 AM

Too bad Oprah no longer has her talkshow. She should consider doing specials when there are bombshell stories like this.

by Anonymousreply 25January 16, 2018 12:21 AM

Both parents have Sanpaku eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2018 12:50 AM

Major crazy eyes on the Mom.

It's so weird seeing those family holiday pics where everyone seems so happy - you would never guess anything was amiss.

by Anonymousreply 27January 16, 2018 1:04 AM

Except for the clothes and the father's haircut

by Anonymousreply 28January 16, 2018 1:05 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 16, 2018 1:24 AM

Why did the mother, and daughters not have the same bowl cut? Its awful the kids had to go through that, but for the sake of unity, they should ALL have bowl cuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 16, 2018 1:28 AM

Any relation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 16, 2018 1:34 AM

There are 13 children and the neighbors didn't know they lived in the house???

by Anonymousreply 32January 16, 2018 1:35 AM

How does a 29 year old get shackled to a bed against their will?

by Anonymousreply 33January 16, 2018 1:35 AM

It's ridiculous how we're supposed to be scared of the big bad immigrants/refugees/terrorists when this shit is much more terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 34January 16, 2018 1:37 AM

R33 Really? Because 20-somethings never get raped, killed, beat up? If a somewhat strong man - or a man and a woman - grab you they can easily shackle you to a bed. These "But how can this happen to an adult"-victim-shaming retards honestly pop up in every thread.

by Anonymousreply 35January 16, 2018 1:39 AM

Well r24, you know damn well Dr. Phil will be all over this.

by Anonymousreply 36January 16, 2018 1:39 AM

^r25.....

by Anonymousreply 37January 16, 2018 1:40 AM

It's hard to imagine what you would do in that situation. Beaten down, starved, held hostage, terrorized... told repeatedly no one will believe you and I will come looking for you and find you. And then you'll really get it.

by Anonymousreply 38January 16, 2018 1:41 AM

"Moral turpintude" was a play on the family's name (Turpin).

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2018 1:42 AM

Did the children ever attend school? Even if they were homeschooled, wouldn't the parents have to periodically submit lesson plans/ progress reports to the local school board? Wonder how many of them were birthed at home, and as a consequence don't have birth certificates. I bet the mother only had 2 or 3 kids with the dad. The rest of the offspring....SHUDDER!

by Anonymousreply 40January 16, 2018 1:43 AM

They weren’t fed enough to have the physical strength to resist two full-strength adults.

The 17-year-old must have known some life before where they weren’t treated like this. I wonder when the bowl cut guy came into the picture.

by Anonymousreply 41January 16, 2018 1:44 AM

What’s the problem? The adult children had free rent for years!

by Anonymousreply 42January 16, 2018 1:53 AM

Their facebook, creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 16, 2018 1:54 AM

The father could have passed unnoticed in the late sixties with his Peter York hairdo.

by Anonymousreply 44January 16, 2018 1:56 AM

The mother's sister deleted her Facebook page within the last hour. Guess she couldn't take the heat. People were going nuts on her page.

Take a good look through the family's FB page before they post bail, get hold of a computer and delete theirs.

by Anonymousreply 45January 16, 2018 2:07 AM

r44 Who the hell is Peter York?

by Anonymousreply 46January 16, 2018 5:28 AM

[quote]It has now been revealed that their parents filed for bankruptcy back in 2011 and were up to $500,000 in debt, despite David Turpin earning $140,000 a year as an engineer for a top defense contractor.

[quote]David Turpin was earning a $140,000 salary at the time at defense firm Northrop Grumman while his wife was stay-at-home mom. He previously worked for Lockheed Martin but left the job in 2011, the Los Angeles Times reported.

[quote]Their bankruptcy lawyer, Ivan Trahan, told the New York Times that the couple often spoke fondly of their children but he never saw them.

[quote]'They spoke about them highly,' Mr Trahan said. 'We remember them as very nice couple. This is shocking.'

by Anonymousreply 47January 16, 2018 5:32 AM

parents should be dragged naked thru the streets by horses

and set on fire.

by Anonymousreply 48January 16, 2018 5:34 AM

Four of the children living in the California house of horrors were seen less than two months ago looking 'very thin and very albino', a neighbor has said.

Housewife Wendy Martinez, 41, who lives in a home behind the single-story ranch-style property, told DailyMail.com she saw four of the children kneeling in the front yard late at night at the end of October.

She said the quartet looked emaciated and pale, and appeared to have been instructed not to respond when she tried to say hello to them.

'It was about 9pm at night and we came around right here and at the gate, we saw four children inside,' Martinez said.

'They were on their knees, four little kids, and they were just rolling on the grass. It was odd at that time of night.

'Their mother was in the archway, I just remember the mother in the archway, and I said, "hi". There was like no movement, not even to look over to see who's saying hi.

'No movement, like if they were told not to speak to anybody. The mom, no movement at all.'

Asked whether she thought the children needed help, she told DailyMail.com: 'Honestly, I didn't see like they needed help.

'They were in their yard. It was awkward that it was at 9pm at night but they were in their yard.'

Although the Turpins were understood to be running a school from the house, neighbors said they saw no sign of parents arriving to drop off their children – and most said they had no idea that a young family lived in the property.

'You know what, I drive past this way every day but I've never seen the family or anything,' said nurse Janeece Calhoun, 21. 'Never anybody coming in or out.'

Neighbor Michelle Walls, 47, added: 'You would think you would have heard them. In our neighborhood, kids are usually out playing, shooting hoops. Going to the park.

'I'm surprised I never saw them because most kids need to go outside and play.'

by Anonymousreply 49January 16, 2018 5:37 AM

r48........that's a little lenient isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 50January 16, 2018 5:40 AM

R41, I could be wrong, but I believe that the Turnip Family Vegas Vow Renewal video was dated 2016, in honor of their ten year anniversary. So they were married around 2006, unless I misunderstood the video. I wasn't paying very close attention.

by Anonymousreply 51January 16, 2018 5:48 AM

I'm sure he meant Peter Tork of the Monkees, R46.

Re: haircut-Tork wasn't in his late fifties when he was sporting that 'do. Turpin (Turnip?) looks more like Captain Kangaroo.

by Anonymousreply 52January 16, 2018 6:05 AM

[quote]It is very strange to look at the pictures from the wedding and consider that some of the "kids" pictured are actually well into adulthood

I’m confused by the vow renewal pics. None of the girls look gaunt or emaciated.

There was a horrible case of a couple of foster kids that were starved so severely they were abnormally small for their ages and they looked like concentration camp victims.

I guess the girl who looked like a 10 year old was because she was so severely underweight rather than because she had been starved over a number of years.

Sorry to focus on such morbid details.

by Anonymousreply 53January 16, 2018 6:10 AM

The mother has "Please Help Me" face in all the photos. My bet is that the husband was the psycho delusional control freak and abused her as well as the kids, he was the one who earned the money and, I bet, fathered children/grandchildren by incest.

If I'm right, the father should be subjected to the death of a thousand cuts starting with his dick, and the mother should be humanely put down. Because even if she never beat or fucked the kids, there won't be any humanity left in her.

by Anonymousreply 54January 16, 2018 6:10 AM

Ah yes Christianity! the religion of peace!

by Anonymousreply 55January 16, 2018 6:11 AM

They have another wedding photo posted in 2011. It looks like the same location and same Elvis impersonator, same clothes and everything, only the wife's hair is a different color. Then there's a wedding photo posted in 2013 with the darker hair and the children in matching outfits. So I think the pictures are from 2013 but they kept reposting them. Unless the keep doing doing the same vow renewal every year.

by Anonymousreply 56January 16, 2018 6:14 AM

Hard to believe half those kids are actually over 18. Equally hard to believe DM description of their home in a “quiet well-to-do neighborhood” after taking a gander at their camera-happy neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 57January 16, 2018 6:44 AM

You have to be crazy to have 13 children.

by Anonymousreply 58January 16, 2018 6:48 AM

So DOGTOOTH!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 16, 2018 6:51 AM

I don't believe any of the kids are in their 20's. I think their true ages will come out as the story develops. None of the girls in the Vegas wedding photo (dated only 1.5 yrs ago) look to be older than pre-teens. Their bodies aren't developed at all, and it's not because they're emaciated.

by Anonymousreply 60January 16, 2018 6:54 AM

In their comments to the press, the neighbors all sound like idiots.

by Anonymousreply 61January 16, 2018 6:56 AM

Yeah, how do you completely ignore a house full of weird, reclusive, malnourished kids who all dress alike and have bowl haircuts? Weirder still, you never see them except at night.

And, no, that is definitely NOT a 'well to do" neighborhood. Typical Daily Fail.

by Anonymousreply 62January 16, 2018 7:03 AM

Nobody likes nosy, gossipy neighbors who know everything about everyone on their street, but the fact is the world would be a slightly safer place if they still existed. They might actually worry about the family of weird vampire children.

by Anonymousreply 63January 16, 2018 7:11 AM

I think the son's bowl haircuts are not a sign of a religious cult, but of a psycho control freak father who insists that his sons wear ins decades-out-of-date haircut.

As for the ages of the children, the older boys look mid-teens by their height and builds, but it's impossible to tell how old the girls are because the faces are blurred out and all the girls are dressed like third-graders. That's probably some horrible pedo fantasy of the dad's, keeping his girls underage forever. eeeeeeeewwwww......

by Anonymousreply 64January 16, 2018 7:19 AM

As usual, the wife will claim complete innocence and that the man was all to blame and she'll get off with a slap on the wrist, like all women do.

by Anonymousreply 65January 16, 2018 7:22 AM

[quote]Nobody likes nosy, gossipy neighbors who know everything about everyone on their street, but the fact is the world would be a slightly safer place if they still existed.

That's what I keep telling Abner

by Anonymousreply 66January 16, 2018 7:23 AM

[quote]The mother has "Please Help Me" face in all the photos. My bet is that the husband was the psycho delusional control freak and abused her as well as the kids,

Bullshit, she could've walked out and called the police anytime she liked.

by Anonymousreply 67January 16, 2018 7:24 AM

[quote]moral turpintude

You called?

by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2018 7:29 AM

R64, you don't need to see the faces of those girls to know than none of them are over 21 y/o. Their bodies are pre-pubescent. No breasts at all. Creepy as fuck that they are all dressed in tights and Mary Jane shoes. Normal girls stop wearing those by the time they're 7 y/o.

by Anonymousreply 69January 16, 2018 7:40 AM

The Vegas wedding was definitely less than 2 yrs ago. The baby (now two) is in the pictures and looks to have been about 6 months old.

by Anonymousreply 70January 16, 2018 7:50 AM

8 of them are adults r69. If you starve somebody, even periodically, they won’t grow or develop. It can also impair them intellectually.

I guess every year the parents would take them to either Vegas or Disneyland to take those fucked up photos so they were probably allowed to eat leading up to it to hide their emaciated frames. I imagine they’d gain weight pretty quickly after having been deprived of food. Once it was over they were recuffed to their beds and starved again. I feel extra sorry for the 29 year old who must have endured 29 years of this torture.

by Anonymousreply 71January 16, 2018 7:56 AM

From the New York Post

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 16, 2018 7:57 AM

Wtf is wrong with the sons? They're the ones that look to be adults (from what I can tell). How did the dad tie them up?

by Anonymousreply 73January 16, 2018 7:58 AM

What I don’t understand is how they have a 2yr old. The mom is 49, it’s almost impossible for a 47 year old to conceive naturally. If they’re die hard fundies I doubt they’re doing IVF. It’s possible one of the daughters was abused by dad and the baby is hers but if they kids are that severely malnourished then the girls probably can’t get pregnant. Who the fuck knows.

by Anonymousreply 74January 16, 2018 8:01 AM

How dumb are you r73? They’re malnourished so what chance do they have of fighting off a taller well fed man. Years of deprivation and starvation would have made them shit scared of him. And who knows if they have intellectual impairment from years of malnutrition . Maybe they did try to fight him and he overpowered them and punished them longer. Who knows what shit the kids were told too. These kids made so little noise some neighbours didn’t know they existed. 13 kids in a house some people never saw or heard them, including a baby. Some fucked up shit was going on in that house.

by Anonymousreply 75January 16, 2018 8:09 AM

R74 Duh, a 47 yo woman can conceive naturally, specially a very fertile woman.

by Anonymousreply 76January 16, 2018 8:10 AM

The sons don't look malnourished to me at all, R75.

by Anonymousreply 77January 16, 2018 8:13 AM

The daughter on the far right in the NYPost picture at R72, looks oldest, so she's probably the 29-year-old. There are at least 2 who are cross-eyed.

by Anonymousreply 78January 16, 2018 8:16 AM

Actually it’s highly unlikely r76. By 47, the likelihood of getting pregnant is about 5% and around 75% of those pregnancies end in miscarriage. Those that don’t still have a high rate of abnormalities. So no it’s not impossible but very unlikely.

My father, a doctor, told me that in his 40 years practicing medicine the oldest woman he saw get pregnant naturally and carry a healthy baby to term was 45.

by Anonymousreply 79January 16, 2018 8:21 AM

How being cross-eyed has to do with anything?

by Anonymousreply 80January 16, 2018 8:22 AM

R79 Yeah, but it still possible.

by Anonymousreply 81January 16, 2018 8:22 AM

R77 well why don’t you tell that to the people who found them and claimed they were very malnourished. Clearly they’re mistaken and you know better. I’m sure Mr & Mrs Taupin will be greatly relieved to hear you believe this to be a big misunderstanding.

by Anonymousreply 82January 16, 2018 8:26 AM

My great grandmother had a healthy child at 47 and my grandmother at 45. It’s odd, but if you look back in history women seemed to keep having children . I think stress and chemicals and hormones in the food have caused some fertilty issues. We have way more young women now who are infertile. It’s a national money making business . Asides from that crap, this is one creepy AF family. Those poor kids . Yes, perhaps the baby is the older daighter’s . These parents need to rot in hell. I don’t understand how this shit still goes on. Another neighbor was interviewed saying she saw the kids in the yard late at night in October and they were emcaited and pale and wouldn’t say hello back to her. But of course she never called the cops . Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 83January 16, 2018 8:26 AM

If the wife is 47 and the eldest child is 29, that would mean she was first impregnated at 17. By a man of

But I doubt the eldest is actually 29, the girls in those pictures give the impression of being so much younger. But as noted, seeing those little-girl outfits on teenagers is as creepy as fuck, and worse on an adult.

by Anonymousreply 84January 16, 2018 8:35 AM

It sounds like the children were conditioned to be passive. If you have a young child it is not difficult to control them with abuse even into adulthood. Sometimes the only thing that breaks the cycle is a threat of something worse. It's possible the 17 year old was fleeing something that was to be done to her specifically. The entire situation is awful regardless.

by Anonymousreply 85January 16, 2018 8:38 AM

It seems like many of their neighbors are Hispanic. I know from experience that Hispanic people are unlikely to report any weirdness from white people. In the Hispanic neighborhood I grew up in, a white man was running a cult for nearly 10 years and no one said anything because all the people involved were white. People made nervous jokes about it, like some of these neighbors do with their "vampire" and "albino" references, but we were just taught to ignore all the strange things going on in the corner house.

by Anonymousreply 86January 16, 2018 8:39 AM

R84 The wife is 49, the youngest child is 2, hence the discussion around whether the baby is hers as she’d have to have gotten pregnant at 46/47 which is possible but rare.

And the 17 year old daughter who notified the authorities apparently was so underweight she could pass for a 10 year old, so the girls aren’t necessarily as young as they seem.

by Anonymousreply 87January 16, 2018 8:42 AM

I'll bet the sons had something to do with this. They were probably brainwashed but they could have been abusing their sisters too. The boys look older and healthier. No surprise since males tend to fair better in these situations than females. This could be a case where the males are treasured while the females are treated like crap. Maybe the boys were put ahead of the mom too.

by Anonymousreply 88January 16, 2018 8:49 AM

And I doubt those girls are adults.

by Anonymousreply 89January 16, 2018 8:50 AM

I've seen mentally challenged adults who look like teens, and several in the pic at the NY Post look disabled.

I would absolutely not doubt for one moment that a few of those kids could be adults.

by Anonymousreply 90January 16, 2018 9:21 AM

[Quote]I don't believe any of the kids are in their 20's. I think their true ages will come out as the story develops. None of the girls in the Vegas wedding photo (dated only 1.5 yrs ago) look to be older than pre-teens. Their bodies aren't developed at all, and it's not because they're emaciated.

Could be a result of inbreeding. The two little girls have abnormaly large foreheads.

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2018 10:43 AM

This developing case made me think of Andrea Yates, the Texas mother who drowned all of her sons in 2001. Her husband, Rusty, was a Software Engineer, and stated he had wanted as many children as nature would allow. Some acquaintances described him as a controlling fundy.

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2018 10:53 AM

[quote]How does a 29 year old get shackled to a bed against their will?

And this is why my sympathy has left the building...

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2018 11:08 AM

This story just showed on a newsbreak on Australian TV. Fucked UP. Poor kids.

by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2018 11:11 AM

Dimwit @ R93. All those kids have been brainwashed since birth. They have probably been told all kinds of horrific lies about what would happen to them if they ever went against their parents. They were completely cut off from the world.

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2018 11:22 AM

The boys probably molested or raped the little girls too.

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2018 11:36 AM

It looks like people who know the parents are posting on this thread. Who says such fucked up shit about the victims in such an extreme case of abuse, unless they’re trying discredit the kids and make them look like accomplices in their own misery to diminish the atrocities of their parents.

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2018 11:40 AM

How the hell do grown men end up being shackled to a bed against their will? Answer- they don't. In all likelihood, the boys were considered special and took part in the abuse of the girls, especially the younger ones.

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2018 11:44 AM

[quote]8 of them are adults

Proof? Why is this taken as fact. Are we basing this assumption on what the kid who escaped said or on documented birth records?

[quote]Duh, a 47 y/o woman can conceive naturally, specially a very fertile woman.

Duh, nope they can't. It's impossible without intervention and a donor egg. These broke nutcases weren't getting fertility treatments. That baby is the spawn of one of the daughters + a son or the father.

by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2018 11:45 AM

[quote]boys were considered special

Well, they sure 'look' special.

by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2018 11:46 AM

The girls are not adults, the oldest of them look like teens.

by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2018 11:50 AM

Women in their late 40s can get pregnant naturally. Even women in their 50s can get pregnant as long as they still ovulate. It's rare but not impossible. My boss had an unplanned pregnancy at 48.

by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2018 11:50 AM

The kids look fine to me.

by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2018 11:51 AM

[QUOTE] very thin and very albino looking

Well that’s interesting that they looked like albinos considering they all have brown hair and brown eyes. Unless they’re chameleons.

The good news is we’ll probably get all the gruesome details of this case sooner than later, since a portion of the prisoner kids are over 18 and can go flapping to the media about their experiences.

by Anonymousreply 104January 16, 2018 12:04 PM

[quote]My boss had an unplanned pregnancy at 48.

OMG, how naive are you? She was implanted with a donor egg at great effort and expense. Many (most) couples who do this lie and pretend it was just and "oops" baby. Far from it.

by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2018 12:05 PM

R105, you're a real moron aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2018 12:11 PM

[quote]My great grandmother had a healthy child at 47 and my grandmother at 45.

LOL, R83. They were covering for their teenage whore daughters who got knocked up. Back in the old days, when the shame of unwed pregnancy was a HUGE deal, a lot of 45+ y/o women were passing their grandchildren off as their own.

by Anonymousreply 107January 16, 2018 12:12 PM

Do I really have to add my advice?

by Anonymousreply 108January 16, 2018 12:13 PM

By all means, R106, don't concern yourself with logic, facts and science.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 16, 2018 12:23 PM

I have a feeling these "brothers and sisters" aren't really all siblings. They've been brainwashed to call their fellow captives their brothers and sisters, and probably some of them are in fact siblings or at least half-siblings. But I think the crazy couple (who married when the woman was only 16 and had vow renewals in 2011, 2013, and 2016) acquired children to form their "family" via shall we say, untraditional methods.

by Anonymousreply 110January 16, 2018 12:25 PM

They all look like clones, R110.

by Anonymousreply 111January 16, 2018 12:27 PM

I wonder which girl ran away. I hope she gets protected. From r72 's picture, I'd say the ones from extreme left, third from left and the girl second from the right look like the 3 likeliest. The girl holding the baby looks lucid as well but way too scared to do anything.

by Anonymousreply 112January 16, 2018 12:29 PM

My gynecologist recently mentioned that he had TWO 48-year-old patients give birth last year, and only one of them had had fertility treatments.

So it does happen.

by Anonymousreply 113January 16, 2018 12:34 PM

Religious freaks......

by Anonymousreply 114January 16, 2018 12:35 PM

From his Facebook pics, they look to be adult Disney freaks and that is always a red flag to me

by Anonymousreply 115January 16, 2018 12:36 PM

Well, they registered the home as a K - 12 school and actually had children from outside enrolled, so where are those kids now?

I sense things went way south for this family within the last 12 - 18 months. The parents were probably abusing the kids all along, but the starvation and chaining to the bed is probably recent.

Can't wait for the press conference tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 116January 16, 2018 12:37 PM

My grandmother had my dad when she was 53, it does happen.

by Anonymousreply 117January 16, 2018 12:46 PM

Which article says that other people's kids were enrolled in their "school?"

I figured that the reason the nut jobs registered their house as a school was just so they can isolate the kids from the world without technically breaking any laws. Didn't the Duggars also register their house as a school, with the only "students" in attendance being their own kids?

by Anonymousreply 118January 16, 2018 12:48 PM

[quote]Can't wait for the press conference tomorrow.

Incredibly lucky that this tragedy manages to feed into your entertainment needs r116.

by Anonymousreply 119January 16, 2018 12:49 PM

My grandmother had my mom when she was 68, so it does happen.

by Anonymousreply 120January 16, 2018 12:49 PM

No other kids attended the school. R116 made that up. That's how internet "rumor-facts" get spread. Just like half the kids are adults--so far no proof of that.

by Anonymousreply 121January 16, 2018 12:51 PM

At first I thought the dad was Stuart from Mad TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 16, 2018 12:55 PM

[quote]Dimwit @ [R93]

I’m the dimwit? Meanwhile, people from two to TWENTY-NINE years-old stay shackled to a bed. GTFOH

I'm not saying the story isn't tragic but let's get some perspective.

by Anonymousreply 123January 16, 2018 12:59 PM

Fuck off r121.

[Quote]David Turpin is listed in a state Department of Education directory as the principal of Sandcastle Day School, a private K-12 school that he ran from the couple’s home. The school opened in 2011, according to the directory. In the 2016-2017 year, the school enrolled a total of six students — one in each of the fifth, sixth, eighth, ninth, 10th and 12th grades.

by Anonymousreply 124January 16, 2018 1:00 PM

Actually, late in life pregnancies are far more common than our gay male specialists on female reproduction here seem to understand.

by Anonymousreply 125January 16, 2018 1:03 PM

R124 Absolutely nothing in that article indicates the kids enrolled there came from outside the home.

by Anonymousreply 126January 16, 2018 1:05 PM

Those sons look frail and skeletally thin in the vow renewal videos circulating on youtube. The dad seems very autistic.

by Anonymousreply 127January 16, 2018 1:06 PM

Lol @ r127, so true.

by Anonymousreply 128January 16, 2018 1:06 PM

This family looks nowhere near relatively normal. The children look inbred and sickly. All dressed the same like that too. The father is a charactiture and mom looks drugged. Omg!! This is the creepiest story I’ve read in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 129January 16, 2018 1:12 PM

I could have lived on the same street as them and I don't think I would have paid any special attention to this family other thinking they are odd. I'm not a noisy neighbor and their life is none of my business, lots of people feel that way.

I get that is odd to some DLers who are basically Gladys Kravitz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 16, 2018 1:14 PM

Why has OP's original post been striked through? Are the fundy couple's neighbors and friends trying to scrub the story from the internet?

by Anonymousreply 131January 16, 2018 1:14 PM

"Charactiture", r129?

Were you home-schooled, by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 132January 16, 2018 1:15 PM

This happens all the fucking time time r131. Have you not noticed? It is frustrating how often normal threads get FF'ed. Muriel needs to do something about it.

by Anonymousreply 133January 16, 2018 1:16 PM

It's not struck-through for me, r131.

Maybe you need to change your settings more in the direction of "asbestos eyeballs"?

by Anonymousreply 134January 16, 2018 1:16 PM

The report of some of the kids being adults/over-18 comes from police in the DM article.

by Anonymousreply 135January 16, 2018 1:29 PM

Look at the son on the far right in the Facebook photo dated April 2, 2016.

by Anonymousreply 136January 16, 2018 1:30 PM

[quote]The officers did not immediately recognize that seven of the 13 siblings were adults because they were emaciated. The sheriff’s office said that the 17-year-old girl who called 911 looked to be 10 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 16, 2018 1:31 PM

All I know is that when I want to hear from experts concerning children, emaciation, Stockholm syndrome, and female fertility, I come to DL, where everyone is an expert!

by Anonymousreply 138January 16, 2018 1:31 PM

R105, a woman with grown children and limited finances is not going to bother with a donor egg. Most of these women are not first time mothers when they have a late in life baby.

by Anonymousreply 139January 16, 2018 1:38 PM

My grandmother had my uncle when she was 73 and in her coffin.. It can happen.

by Anonymousreply 140January 16, 2018 1:48 PM

It is true that the odds of a woman getting pregnant naturally in her late 40s are incredibly low. Not impossible, but some physicians will put the odds at less than 1%.

That said, odds are odds. It does still happen.

The NYTimes reporting does seem to confirm that that several children are adults. At least the local police department believes they are.

by Anonymousreply 141January 16, 2018 1:49 PM

I don't know if this is true or I'm just imagining it, but I feel like I've heard a stat somewhere that women who have already had a number of children are more likely to conceive in their 40s. It's pretty rare for her to have a baby at 46 or 47 but it's been known to happen occasionally. Plus you know they weren't using any birth control. Most women probably still do at that age since few actively want to have a baby at that point.

by Anonymousreply 142January 16, 2018 1:52 PM

[quote]My grandmother had my uncle when she was 73 and in her coffin.. It can happen.

Now, that is a story I would like to exploit!

by Anonymousreply 143January 16, 2018 2:04 PM

[quote]OMG, how naive are you? She was implanted with a donor egg at great effort and expense. Many (most) couples who do this lie and pretend it was just and "oops" baby. Far from it.

I actually know a couple that describes, they normally go with a story it was a accident, when in reality they were doing fertility treatments. Some people are weird about admitting that to everyone, guess I don't blame them.

by Anonymousreply 144January 16, 2018 2:07 PM

I saw it was a Daily Mail link and thought to myself what kind of Brit would do something like that? Then I saw it was from California and it all made sense.

by Anonymousreply 145January 16, 2018 2:08 PM

They seem like a nice family.

by Anonymousreply 146January 16, 2018 2:26 PM

R81 I can almost guarantee that baby isn’t the mothers but one of the daughters.

At 47 it’s damn rare. Plus if she was that fertile she would have a couple other toddlers running around since as fundies they don’t practice birth control.

As a 42 year old woman (lesbian) it’s pretty rare to have A baby naturally after my age. All my college friends that got pregnant at 40 or after used Ivf. Hell most of my college friends did ivf by the time they hit 35.

by Anonymousreply 147January 16, 2018 2:28 PM

No MAGA caps?

by Anonymousreply 148January 16, 2018 2:42 PM

so now we have 2 mentally ill parents who have brought 13 children into this world who may not have been born with a mental illness will surely have one now.

I think we should spend our money hunting down illegal immigrants though (that's sarcasm in case you didn't know)

by Anonymousreply 149January 16, 2018 2:43 PM

I personally know a woman who’s 46 and has adult children (22 and 24) and is currently pregnant with an oopsie baby. Took her completely by surprise and she’s keeping it. She’s from South America and religious, so. I am her age and cannot imagine starting all over with sleepless nights and diapers, but ya know, it’s God’s plan. If it happened to me, I’d terminate, but I’m a heathen.

My friend’s mother was 47 when she had her last child, also conceived naturally. They were Catholic and she was ashamed to show herself at church because people would know she was still sexually active at her advanced age. This was in the 70s.

It can and does happen without any assistance.

by Anonymousreply 150January 16, 2018 2:48 PM

The father was employed and making 140K? Did he work from home? Whoever hired him has some explaining to do.

by Anonymousreply 151January 16, 2018 2:48 PM

I believe he hadn't been employed in quite a while, r151. They declared bankruptcy a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 152January 16, 2018 2:54 PM

So how many daughters was daddy diddling? Mom looks bug shit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 153January 16, 2018 3:05 PM

The wedding photo creeps me the fuck out. Pretty much all the girls could "pass" as children imo but a few have more mature-looking faces so I'm assuming they're the twenty-somethings. Actually, most of the older girls are as tall as or taller than the mother, which makes me think they're likely full-grown, since you'd expect starvation to have stunted their growth. (Of course the dad adds taller genes, but considering the obvious malnutrition, it seems like they've grown taller than one might expect already.)

by Anonymousreply 154January 16, 2018 3:11 PM

Thanks R152, I must have read that wrong.

This is honestly the creepiest thing I’ve read in awhile and I’m a news junkie.

The family is wack but then you have those clueless neighbors, grandparents ...

by Anonymousreply 155January 16, 2018 3:11 PM

Women who have previous children are more likely to get pregnant again.

Having said that, I bet that baby is a result of incest. Fundy men think their duty is to reproduce continually, so when the wife couldn’t do it any more he probably told the oldest it was her duty to start grinding them out.

I bet the one who escaped got raped and that was the catalyst for her escape. She probably saw her older sisters get raped and become pregnant and probably give birth without a doctor. And the water was probably turned off, so can you imagine trying to give birth and being unable to wash anything? Maybe she’s pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 156January 16, 2018 3:23 PM

Straight people are utterly disgusting

by Anonymousreply 157January 16, 2018 3:28 PM

Ah, the sanctity of straight marriage.

by Anonymousreply 158January 16, 2018 3:28 PM

I was wondering if this woman gave birth in a hospital.

by Anonymousreply 159January 16, 2018 3:30 PM

R142, there are only a few days a month that a woman (of any childbearing age) is fertile. Due to higher risk of serious side effects (stroke, blood clots, etc), most women over say 35, stop taking the Pill. At that point, they can either get an IUD (invasive) or a diaphragm (very inconvenient), or have a partner use condoms. Or, they can just 'keep track of their days' and avoid unprotected sex for around one week a month. That method isn't 100% fail-proof, but considering fertility declines precipitously after 35, it's a risk many are willing to take.

by Anonymousreply 160January 16, 2018 3:32 PM

I guessing Mormons

by Anonymousreply 161January 16, 2018 3:40 PM

I don't think Mormon. Quiverfull maybe?

by Anonymousreply 162January 16, 2018 3:50 PM

I don't think Mormons would get married by an Elvis impersonator in Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 163January 16, 2018 3:57 PM

I read they were Pentecostal and they thought God wanted them to have a lot of babies, according to one of the grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 164January 16, 2018 3:59 PM

The Elvis Impersonator

[quote]"The way the kids looked physically? Thin, but not excessively thin. I thought they were very active as a family. ... I didn't think that they didn't eat or there was punishment or anything like that," Ripley said. "They were just well behaved. They smiled a lot." "It's hard to believe that the people that I performed for and entertained and sat and talked before and after entertaining them that this could happen. It's just, it's disturbing, it really is," he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165January 16, 2018 4:01 PM

People act like this is such an awful thing.

by Anonymousreply 166January 16, 2018 4:01 PM

Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 16, 2018 4:02 PM

The dad is super hot.

by Anonymousreply 168January 16, 2018 4:03 PM

Sounds like the grandparents are crazy as well.

[quote]The grandparents described the family as very religious and said the parents had so many children because they believed 'God called on them' to do so. They added that the 'very strict homeschooling' would involve the children memorizing long Bible passages and even attempting to memorize the entire book.

[quote]Speaking to CNN, grandmother Betty Turpin said the parents made the children dress alike for safety reasons. She describes how the children would line up according to age and the mother and father would walk in front and back of the line.

[quote]'They were very protective of the kids. This is a highly respectable family.'

by Anonymousreply 169January 16, 2018 4:05 PM

[quote]The dad is super hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 16, 2018 4:05 PM

This just gets crazier. From the DM:

Another neighbor said Louise Turpin was defiant when cops arrived at the home on Sunday. They said she 'smirked' and 'spat twice down at the floor'.

Andrew Santillan, who lives nearby, told Press-Enterprise: 'I didn't know there were kids in the house. I had no idea this was going on.'

Others said they had seen the children digging for food in the garbage bins, but had not taken notice as it did not look sinister.

by Anonymousreply 171January 16, 2018 4:08 PM

after watching the video (or as much as I could stand) the most frightening thing about it is that it all seemed so..........................normal

by Anonymousreply 172January 16, 2018 4:08 PM

Babyboomers: Is the dad's hairstyle an oldster's interpretation of a Bieber cut?

by Anonymousreply 173January 16, 2018 4:09 PM

Children should be neither seen nor heard.

by Anonymousreply 174January 16, 2018 4:09 PM

I wonder how many bathrooms they have in their house?

by Anonymousreply 175January 16, 2018 4:13 PM

This is terrible. I can accept the parents are mentally ill but do you guys get as infuriated as I do reading about what the neighbors say and especially the grandparents? Why does it seem in these stories that the neighbors are reading off a script, is it just to clear themselves and that nakes them sound stupid as fuck?

by Anonymousreply 176January 16, 2018 4:20 PM

R169, just sick..

by Anonymousreply 177January 16, 2018 4:22 PM

I love how much DL judges the neighbors not being all up in their business. Never change you queens.

by Anonymousreply 178January 16, 2018 4:23 PM

This couple and the grandparents have a very strange definition of Christianity.

They're not Christian. They're more like a doomsday cult.

by Anonymousreply 179January 16, 2018 4:25 PM

I love their matching outfits.

by Anonymousreply 180January 16, 2018 4:27 PM

The oldest is 29 but looks like a teen because they are so malnourished

by Anonymousreply 181January 16, 2018 4:28 PM

Bunch of Adam Lanza’s lying in wait

by Anonymousreply 182January 16, 2018 4:29 PM

4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, R175.

by Anonymousreply 183January 16, 2018 4:31 PM

YouTube video from 2013. Super creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184January 16, 2018 4:44 PM

R178 yes because seeing children dig through trash cans for food is nothing to get worked up about

by Anonymousreply 185January 16, 2018 4:47 PM

I read something about the parents being chummy with their IVF nursing staff, so I think the last baby was IVF, but the parents were saying how much they were going to miss them, so that was probably the last baby.

by Anonymousreply 186January 16, 2018 4:53 PM

[quote]A vagina is not God's personal clown car.

One of the funniest things I've read here in 7 years

by Anonymousreply 187January 16, 2018 4:55 PM

The parents remind me of Phillip and Nancy Garrido of the Jaycee Lee Dugard case.

by Anonymousreply 188January 16, 2018 4:58 PM

My grandparents growing up in the Depression, the poverty affected nutrition. Puberty didn’t happen for the males or females til around 17. The girls had had the growth spurt, but you need a minimum of 20% fat on a human body to trigger puberty.

by Anonymousreply 189January 16, 2018 5:01 PM

No wonder puberty now occurs at about age 5.

by Anonymousreply 190January 16, 2018 5:03 PM

It's true though r190. Childhood obesity is highly correlated with starting puberty earlier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191January 16, 2018 5:05 PM

Go look at their FB page.

by Anonymousreply 192January 16, 2018 5:26 PM

It appears most of their Facebook friends have unfriended them. The mother's sister took down her own FB page yesterday after a flurry of irate posts - oh dear, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 193January 16, 2018 5:28 PM

[quote]Others said they had seen the children digging for food in the garbage bins, but had not taken notice as it did not look sinister.

What kind of fucking neighborhood is this?

by Anonymousreply 194January 16, 2018 5:42 PM

[quote]but had not taken notice as it did not look sinister

Desperate and insane but, thank god, not sinister.

by Anonymousreply 195January 16, 2018 5:44 PM

I lived near Perris about 20 years ago; it was a shithole then. I see nothing has changed.

by Anonymousreply 196January 16, 2018 5:44 PM

I think it was the girl with the side part who climbed out the window.

by Anonymousreply 197January 16, 2018 6:58 PM

I mean, I think the girl with the side part (in the video) was the one who climbed out the window. She has more of an expression of 'this is all bullshit' relative to the other kids.

by Anonymousreply 198January 16, 2018 7:01 PM

Its rare but it does happen. Maria Luisa of Parma queen of Spain got pregnant for the 24th time at age 46.

by Anonymousreply 199January 16, 2018 7:05 PM

It's not impossible r99. Women in perimenopause have been known to become pregnant, often because they think they're infertile and stop using their birth control.

Where did you even get the idea it was impossible? Teo seconds on Google and I found a ton of stories about women getting pregnant at 37.

by Anonymousreply 200January 16, 2018 7:08 PM

Sorry, pregnant at 47, not 37

by Anonymousreply 201January 16, 2018 7:09 PM

[quote]That’s because after age 45, a woman’s likelihood of getting pregnant naturally is less than 4%, and that number plummets to 1% once she hits 50

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202January 16, 2018 7:11 PM

The child that escaped ran into Rhoda Young, who broke the story!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203January 16, 2018 7:13 PM

Saw a comment over on another message board regarding the vow renewals. This person was talking about their constant vow renewals being because Daddy was diddling the daughters and getting the older ones pregnant. Three times in the past couple of years. If they had some weird version of the bible going I could see totally this.

by Anonymousreply 204January 16, 2018 7:36 PM

R178 it’s one to mind your own business and pay no attention to the quiet family with all the kids. But one neighbour saw kids scavenging around in a bin for food and thought that wasnt sinister. Is he retarted? Isn’t it at that point that even the least nosy of neighbours would call in the cops?

That couple couldn’t have moved into a better street, everyone sounds as deranged as they are.

by Anonymousreply 205January 16, 2018 7:44 PM

[quote]Is he retarted?

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 206January 16, 2018 7:48 PM

R184 thanks for the link! Only in America.

by Anonymousreply 207January 16, 2018 7:49 PM

Yeah, I saw that after I posted r206, shame there’s no edit button. At least we know you would have called the cops. Grammar queens are always up on other people’s business making sure they do the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 208January 16, 2018 7:52 PM

For R187:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209January 16, 2018 7:58 PM

Lol @ r208

by Anonymousreply 210January 16, 2018 9:58 PM

Which girl do people think got away?

by Anonymousreply 211January 16, 2018 10:02 PM

I think they would’ve been fine neighbors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 16, 2018 10:25 PM

We do too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 16, 2018 10:27 PM

I’m guessing it’s the second to last girl to walk through the door in the beginning of the YouTube video.

by Anonymousreply 214January 16, 2018 10:31 PM

In the video, Elvis groups the girls into three groups of three girls: the youngest three, the middle three, and the eldest three. I was thinking it was the girl with the side part in the eldest group. I think the 27 year old was the boy with glasses.

by Anonymousreply 215January 16, 2018 10:32 PM

R214, same.

by Anonymousreply 216January 16, 2018 10:35 PM

Count your blessings; it could be worse. Believe me, it could be a lot worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217January 16, 2018 10:35 PM

Amazing they brainwashed GROWN ADULTS to go along with this for so long.

by Anonymousreply 218January 16, 2018 10:36 PM

Adults have been brainwashed into doing far worse r218.

by Anonymousreply 219January 16, 2018 10:39 PM

R218, they've known no other life. This is their normal. Quite easy to do under those circumstances. Jesse Dugar was 11 when she was taken. She had a loving mother and exposure to the outside world and she still stayed with her kidnappers until adulthood. JFC, all you dumbasses, take a psychology course or something.

by Anonymousreply 220January 16, 2018 10:45 PM

Love them tender!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221January 16, 2018 10:45 PM

It's creepy that the girls seem to walk through the door in chronological order, from youngest to oldest, ultimately ending with the "mother".

by Anonymousreply 222January 16, 2018 10:58 PM

the whole thing is creepy as hell, should be made into a season of American Horror Story

by Anonymousreply 223January 16, 2018 11:39 PM

That couple is the reason grease fires were invented.

by Anonymousreply 224January 17, 2018 1:08 AM

Daily mail is so campy. They have a couple of photos of the empty back yard and inside the house.

“Through a shabby screen erected in front of the French windows, heaps of clutter, including what appear to be books, could be seen inside the home.”

by Anonymousreply 225January 17, 2018 1:18 AM

If Capt. Von Trapp had married the Baroness, this is how they would've ended up.

by Anonymousreply 226January 17, 2018 1:34 AM

THE PRESS CONFERENCE WILL BE TOMORROW AT 1 PM EST.

I bet the reason why the parents' bail is so high is because the police already have the goods on them, just a matter of dotting the "I"s and crossing the "T"s. Jail is the safest place for them at the moment.

When hospital staff were examining the kids, they most certainly would have checked for signs of abuse and if any of the girls had ever given birth. They probably took DNA samples too so they could determine if they are all actual siblings or some other blood relation. Would be really crazy if some of them turned out to be former missing children.

by Anonymousreply 227January 17, 2018 1:56 AM

Carried away much r227?

by Anonymousreply 228January 17, 2018 1:58 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again...when somebody's hair game is off THAT bad like that crazy father...it's the sign of something much deeper,darker and disturbing.

I think the way one wears/colors their hair is often an indicator of underlying mental health.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229January 17, 2018 2:15 AM

ABC News - Doctor on shackled siblings' recovery “It”s not going to be achieved overnight”

The staff of a Southern California hospital was reduced to tears at the sight of seven of the 13 malnourished siblings who were admitted after authorities discovered they were being held captive by their parents, officials from the Corona Regional Medical Center told ABC News. Those seven siblings are all adults. “It's that profound when you see what they're going through,” hospital CEO and Chief Managing Director Mark Uffer told ABC News of the staff's somber reaction. “How does this happen?”

On Sunday, a 17-year-old girl escaped her home in Perris — about 27 miles south of San Bernardino, California — through a window and called 911, telling dispatchers that she and her 12 brothers and sisters were being held captive, according to the Riverside County Sheriff”s Department.

When responding officers arrived, the teen was so emaciated that they said she “appeared to be only 10 years old.” Other siblings, who range in age from 2 to 29, were allegedly “shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings” and appeared to be “very dirty” according to the Sheriff”s Office.

The Corona Regional Medical Center in Corona, California, is treating all seven of the adult siblings — five females and two males ages 18 to 29 — Uffer said, adding that he has never seen mistreatment of “this magnitude.”

Dr. Fari Kamalpour, the hospital's director of internal medicine, told ABC News that her “first impression” when she saw the siblings was that she was in the pediatric unit. “When we first saw them, everybody thought they were children,” Uffer said.

Corona Regional Medical Center Director of Internal Medicine Dr. Fari Kamalpour and CEO Mark Uffer discuss the treatment of the seven adults siblings who California authorities found being held captive. The malnourishment that the siblings endured was “systematic” and occurred over a long period of time, Kamalpour said. “This doesn”t happen over three months or six months,” Uffer said. “When you see malnutrition in people, it's years.”

Remainder of article at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230January 17, 2018 2:39 AM

Engineer.

Say no more...

by Anonymousreply 231January 17, 2018 2:50 AM

their health is going to be crap for the rest of their lives. no one should suffer like this and they will never lead normal lives. ever

by Anonymousreply 232January 17, 2018 2:59 AM

Besides looking emaciated the kids look kind of "special."

by Anonymousreply 233January 17, 2018 3:08 AM

Well duh r233, long term starvation can lead to intellectual impairment.

by Anonymousreply 234January 17, 2018 3:12 AM

You know who else starves girls so that they won't grow to their full size?

Olympic gymnastics coaches.

Really! Shortness gives girls a big competitive advantage, it means they can do more flips and stunts in the standard space allowed for all gymnasts, and so high-level coaches seek out girls who are naturally short, and then limit the amount of food they're allowed to eat so they don't grow. Some of them grow several inches taller when they retire from competition and start eating normally.

This is only one reason I'm totally over the fucking Olympics. The fact that keeping a kid child-sized for that long is also a pedophile's dream is another.

by Anonymousreply 235January 17, 2018 3:32 AM

I'd bet real money that some of the younger children don't have birth certificates.

I bet they were born at home, products of incest birthed without medical help, because daddy and possibly mommy didn't want the government checking on why the children weren't seeing doctors or going to school. With no record of their existence, the parents had complete control over them.

by Anonymousreply 236January 17, 2018 3:35 AM

The NY Times discussing the issue of home schooling.

I hope they start regulating it to some degree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237January 17, 2018 3:35 AM

Didn't Jimmy Savile have a wig like that?

by Anonymousreply 238January 17, 2018 3:38 AM

Answering myself here, yes he did. There's no way that guy's not a pedo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239January 17, 2018 3:40 AM

Is it possible to completely recover from such severe malnutrition? I'm sure they will never completely recover emotionally but what about physicality and intellectually? Can they catch up?

by Anonymousreply 240January 17, 2018 3:44 AM

Physically not physicality.

by Anonymousreply 241January 17, 2018 3:46 AM

R237, well that answers my questions about current home school regulations, there are none.

by Anonymousreply 242January 17, 2018 3:54 AM

R242. Anyone can home school; only a few states have any regulations . It used to be mainly ultra-religious people who did it but abusive and neglectful parents have caught on.

by Anonymousreply 243January 17, 2018 4:03 AM

Did the dad make them form a human pyramid?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244January 17, 2018 4:03 AM

Look at mom in that video. Fatty has clearly never missed a meal herself.

by Anonymousreply 245January 17, 2018 4:07 AM

Far be me it got to steer off topic, but imagine being an Elvis impersonator in a wedding chapel in Vegas, singing the same songs over and over while you marry fat frumps from around the world. What an awful job.

by Anonymousreply 246January 17, 2018 4:10 AM

How did they afford IVF and Las Vegas.trips with matching outfits?

And the grandparents didnt think their adult grandkids looked delayed?

by Anonymousreply 247January 17, 2018 4:15 AM

Dad is an engineer r247, made $140,000 a year. Despite that they declared bankruptcy a few years ago. They probably saved a lot on food considering it looks like the only people eating on a regular basis were the parents. I doubt they used IVF, theyre deranged fundies.

by Anonymousreply 248January 17, 2018 4:35 AM

Anyone notice who their friends were on facebook? Were they like them? There may be an extended community of these crazies, multiple families across the US like this...friends they have this in common with. This would make a great horror flick.

by Anonymousreply 249January 17, 2018 4:46 AM

R247. The sister of the arrested wife/mom says her parents (kids grandparents) tried a few times to see their grandkids but the mother wouldn't allow it. Both are now deceased.

Paternal grandparents haven't seen the grandkids in over 5 years. They are also religious wackos who called the family "respectable."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250January 17, 2018 4:57 AM

I think any freak who complimented them on their photos on fb must be a a bit dim. What kind of person thinks that a family of 13 kids dressed alike is “lovely” Surely even if they didn’t know that some of the kids were actually adults, by sheer mathematics they must have thought some of the kids were in their teens. What teen wants to be dressed in a matching tshirt with their parents and younger siblings. Wouldn’t any normal person feel sorry for a 17 year old dressed like that rather than compliment them on their lovely family? Their friends are morons.

by Anonymousreply 251January 17, 2018 5:00 AM

They have been married 29 years, The mom was either 16 or 20 when the got married (accounts differ).

He works for a military industrial complex corporation and makes $140K/year. Declared bankruptcy in 2011 and continue to spend approximately $1000/month more than he earns. Makes you wonder what kind of corporate environment he would blend in to.

Women can and do get pregnant even during "the change"..

by Anonymousreply 252January 17, 2018 5:01 AM

What the fucking hell was he spending that money on, R252, if he wasn't spending it on food or clothes for the kids, or a house in a decent neighborhood?

Hookers and blow?

by Anonymousreply 253January 17, 2018 5:50 AM

Apparently he was spending it on a Las Vegas wedding every other year, instead of feeding his 13 starving kids.

by Anonymousreply 254January 17, 2018 5:55 AM

Not on education or a housekeeper either r253. A trip to Vegas for 15 is probably expensive but it’s not going to break the bank if you have very few other expenses apart from organising ugly matching shirts for your kids.

by Anonymousreply 255January 17, 2018 6:06 AM

For R249 , From Facebook

Patricia Clemons 13 hrs · FOR ALL OF YOU THAT ARE SENDING ME UGLY MESSAGES...STOP IT NOW! I HAD NO CLUE WHAT WAS GOING 2000+ MILES AWAY FROM ME! I HAD NO CLUE WHAT THESE PEOPLE WERE DOING. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!

The Turpin's Facebook is gone now, but their friends list was private, however, I checked out a few people who had commented on their photos, and they seemed religious, simple, conservative.

by Anonymousreply 256January 17, 2018 6:17 AM

Agree @ R229. And the bad bowl cut on guys is a HUGE red flag. Dylaan Roof (Charleston white supremasist spree shooter), Adam Lanza (Sandy hook spree shooter) and now this creep.

by Anonymousreply 257January 17, 2018 6:24 AM

Yes R238, sick fuck pedo Jimmy Savile. He's another grown man with a bowl haircut. WTF is up with that?

by Anonymousreply 258January 17, 2018 6:45 AM

[quote]How being cross-eyed has to do with anything?

Our neighbors adopted from Russia and their daughter had crossed eyes, they were told because she sat in a dark crib so much and her eyes followed the small light she could see. That one boy of the family looks off, and those Prince Valiant hairdos are doing them no favors.

by Anonymousreply 259January 17, 2018 6:58 AM

R228, if anything, I'd say the parents got carried away with their religious practices.

by Anonymousreply 260January 17, 2018 7:08 AM

The father's horrible haircut was in style for a few years, when was it - the mid to late seventies?

There's always something off about people who cling to a once-trendy hairstyle for decades, and it's pretty rare behavior for a man. Usually it's a woman who's still wearing the bouffant or wedge of her youth. Any armchair psychologists want to address why a man would wear that awful haircut for forty years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261January 17, 2018 7:19 AM

Enough. Let's change the subject, shall we?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262January 17, 2018 7:33 AM

They all had runway ready bodies .... I mean their bodies look no different than Kaia gerbers.

by Anonymousreply 263January 17, 2018 8:12 AM

Yes, but I'm sure they're ruining their bodies now that they have access to intravenous nutrition.

Why didn't the hospital offer them smokes instead? I was looking for models for my next runway, but now I guess I'll have to keep looking!

by Anonymousreply 264January 17, 2018 9:04 AM

Those girls look 12 and 80 pounds I wanna sign them for my next fashion show immediately!!!

by Anonymousreply 265January 17, 2018 9:14 AM

My friend’s mom had that haircut in the late 80s and it was out of date even then. It looked no better on a woman either. She was an emotionally absent nutbag who morphed into a batshit reclusive self obsessed cat lady loon. My poor friend should be sainted for not having cut her off.

R229 is right. If you meet anyone with that haircut, RUN!

by Anonymousreply 266January 17, 2018 9:31 AM

Meth - a California way of life. 2 semi-truck trailers load if meth created in my state of Michigan and all 100 percent bounded for California. I'v heard of this before a few times and the patents and their religion feel they are doing the right thing by keeping them out of a non-Christian world. There should have beena state official visiting the gome school wgilw in sesion. Not to taje feom the sadness of the crime. But, the prision system may nred to take a 10 person murder over this fucked up father and mother. I stayed in tgat neck of the woods, the heilcopters flying over at nifght chasing drug runners from Mexico gets old.

by Anonymousreply 267January 17, 2018 9:42 AM

To the poster upthread who said Andrea Yates killed her sons...All the kids were boys, except for the baby, who was a girl and she was drowned also. Rusty fucking Yayes should have been charged with a crime; he'd been told by Andrew's doctor's that she was psychotic, should not keep having children, AND she shouldn't ever be left alone with the kids. Rusty did e eruthing he was warnex NOT to do.

by Anonymousreply 268January 17, 2018 10:27 AM

[quote]Others said they had seen the children digging for food in the garbage bins, but had not taken notice as it did not look sinister.

Oh my GODDD.

by Anonymousreply 269January 17, 2018 11:37 AM

This thread is sad and FUCKING HILARIOUS at the same time. Good ole' DL.

by Anonymousreply 270January 17, 2018 11:39 AM

I'm surprised Elvis didn't find these people weird and call CPS.

by Anonymousreply 271January 17, 2018 11:40 AM

[quote][R229] is right. If you meet anyone with that haircut, RUN!

I am DONE. Where's my goddamn fork, you MFs?

AHAHAHAHAHA

by Anonymousreply 272January 17, 2018 11:42 AM

No comment on the brood's disproportionate male-female ratio? In nature, boys and girls are born roughly at a ratio of 1:1. The Duggars, for example, have 9 daughters and 10 sons.

As other posters have noted, in all likelihood the father is diddling the daughters... and luckily for him, it just so happens that there's 10 girls out of 13? Perhaps they selectively aborted boys (they might be religious freaks, but we already know they don't have an issue with IVF) or more likely some of the girls aren't their biological children. Weird theory I know, but I wouldn't put anything past these freaks.

by Anonymousreply 273January 17, 2018 12:09 PM

Nah, like late pregnancy in a very fertile woman, those skewed sex ratios really can and do occur naturally. The 50/50 (actually closer to 52/48 at birth) male/female ratio only applies on a very broad scale -- hundreds or thousands of births.

I had an old guy once tell me that back home in his European village, their neighbors had 12 daughters but really wanted (needed?) a son to take over their farm, so they kept trying until the 13th kid was finally a son.

And look at the singing Osmond family -- I think they had seven or eight sons and only one daugther, Marie.

by Anonymousreply 274January 17, 2018 12:13 PM

by Anonymousreply 275January 17, 2018 12:46 PM

The two abusers will be diagnosed with narcissistic, sadistic, and paranoid traits. They regard their children as personal possessions and reflections of themselves. That is the reason for the imposition of the identical hairstyles and uniforms - to rob the children of any sense of individuality and to reflect the parents (younger selves) back to themselves. Any attempt to act out of self-interest would have been punished. I assume that such attempts became more regular and concerted as the children grew older, and that is the reason for the chaining. Some children will have been punished severely to warn the others not to rebel. Both parents are emotionally stunted and immature, manifest in the Disney fixation, and hold rigid ideas around sexual purity. They will regard the 'outside world' as corrupt, threatening and hostile and will have rationalised their abuse as 'protecting' the kids.

by Anonymousreply 276January 17, 2018 2:06 PM

The authorities might be wise to dig up the backyard or look to see what’s buried under the house. I have a feeling there may be deceased children. You never know.

by Anonymousreply 277January 17, 2018 2:07 PM

I fear R277 may be right. At last one child may have been killed in response to an attempt to escape, warn others, or as a warning to the other kids.

by Anonymousreply 278January 17, 2018 2:10 PM

Sadly, they may find that this family is part of a larger network with other similar houses of horrors located all over the state.

by Anonymousreply 279January 17, 2018 3:29 PM

Dad looks like a dead ringer for DL fave Dr. Amy Bishop in his mugshot. Only difference is Amy’s bowl cut was darker in her mugshot. Both engineers on the spectrum except Perris dad was not Harvard trained.

by Anonymousreply 280January 17, 2018 3:29 PM

COUNTDOWN TO THE PRESS CONFERENCE AT 1...

by Anonymousreply 281January 17, 2018 3:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282January 17, 2018 3:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283January 17, 2018 3:55 PM

I think R276 is exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 284January 17, 2018 3:59 PM

About the kids being mostly girls: that can definitely happen by itself and not by design. My aunt has four sons and two daughters, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 285January 17, 2018 4:19 PM

Link to the best place to view the presser?

DM headline details new info about the Turpins house in Texas- left in squalor full of garbage with scratches on doors, and mysterious vents in closet. New owner and they didn’t raze the home? Gross all around. I shudder to think what that 29 year old went through.

by Anonymousreply 286January 17, 2018 4:29 PM

Do. I have to do everything for you, DL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287January 17, 2018 5:03 PM

Whoa...

"He did things that made me feel uncomfortable," she said. "If I were to get in the shower, he would come in there while I was in there and watch me, and it was like a joke. He never touched me or anything."

So he would spy on his wife's sister while she was showering and this was considered okay?

by Anonymousreply 288January 17, 2018 5:23 PM

Just to reiterate, as I'm sure it has, these people were Christians.

by Anonymousreply 289January 17, 2018 5:29 PM

These people are deeply personality disordered individuals who created a co-dependent cult, R289. They are only 'Christian' in the manner of Rev. Jim Jones.

by Anonymousreply 290January 17, 2018 6:03 PM

This is as creepy as those poor girls in Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 291January 17, 2018 6:12 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 17, 2018 6:28 PM

R273, my aunt and uncle had 7 girls and 1 boy, sometimes disproportionate ratios occur naturally (not that I'd put anything past these freaks).

And yes, my uncle insisted they keep going until they had a boy, and yes, that boy was the most spoiled child I ever met in my life.

by Anonymousreply 293January 17, 2018 6:28 PM

I wonder what caused the 17 year old to make a break for it after all those years. I’m assuming that even with the starvation she had enough wits about her to realise that if they didn’t help themselves no one would ever help them. She must have been petrified. If they’d caught her, lord knows what they would have done to her.

by Anonymousreply 294January 17, 2018 6:35 PM

Whats really disturbing is that if they had lived in a red, deplorable state like Oklahoma, Texas or Arkansas the girl would have been sent back by the police and nothing would have been done about these minsters all in the name of "freedom of religion".

by Anonymousreply 295January 17, 2018 7:11 PM

There were more than enough clues to neighbors over the years to call CPS that something very wrong was happening in that household.

by Anonymousreply 296January 17, 2018 7:14 PM

R295, I can assure you that in Texas the police would have investigated. Some of you guys need to get out more. We don't take too kindly to child abusers.

by Anonymousreply 297January 17, 2018 7:19 PM

[quote] Others said they had seen the children digging for food in the garbage bins

Were the neighbors able to tell that it was food that the kids were looking for when they saw it happening, or did they only figure that part out later?

by Anonymousreply 298January 17, 2018 7:25 PM

The one kid looks like Linda Hunt

by Anonymousreply 299January 17, 2018 7:28 PM

[quote]These people are deeply personality disordered individuals who created a co-dependent cult, [R289]. They are only 'Christian' in the manner of Rev. Jim Jones.

They believed in your God, r290, the god of Abraham, Moses and Jesus. They accepted Jesus Christ as their personal lord and savior, just like you. They believed they were going to heaven after they died, just like you. Stop pretending they were another kind of Christian when they shared most of your beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 300January 17, 2018 7:28 PM

R300, why are you assuming R290 is religious or christian?

by Anonymousreply 301January 17, 2018 7:31 PM

Joseph Stalin and Mao Tse Tung shared your atheism, and they are responsible for the torture and murder of millions of people. Leftist leaders who share your political ideology, which is like a religion, are responsible for the starvation and deaths of millions of people, R300.

You smug piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 302January 17, 2018 7:53 PM

When there's an Islamic terror attack, R300 immediately cries out that the attack had nothing to do with Islam, and then he quickly lists atrocities committed by Christians. I guarantee it.

by Anonymousreply 303January 17, 2018 7:58 PM

I looked up Valor Christian College and this is their story.

About Valor Christian College

"Valor Christian College is "The School of the Spirit" where students from all 50 states and over 30 nations have come to be equipped as vessels for the end-time revival. From housewives to businessmen and from five-fold ministry gifts to the ministry of helps we are equipping New Testament believers to make a difference in their communities for God's kingdom.

The atmosphere of Valor Christian College is unlike most schools of its kind, offering practical, hands-on training and impartation for ministry combined with well-rounded academics. World Harvest Church offers a variety of training opportunities in areas such as Youth and Children's Ministries, Evangelism and Missions, and Praise and Worship, to name just a few.

Located in central Ohio, 15 miles southeast of Columbus, the state's capital, Valor Christian College was established as World Harvest Bible College in 1990 on the 10 acre site of the original 180 seat church facility but now has moved to become part of the 52 acre site where World Harvest Church is located today."

End time revival??? The whole family are a bunch of religious whackadoos but I guess the father in this saga had some deep-seated mental illness on top of the extreme religiosity. Combine the two and it's a powder keg. Together with the isolation he and his wife kept with no outside contacts or influence, you end up with a situation like in the movie Bug.

Has his employer said anything yet?

by Anonymousreply 304January 17, 2018 8:13 PM

Employer has said nothing. People have tweeted them but I’m surprised to hear nothing.

by Anonymousreply 305January 17, 2018 8:54 PM

Surely the people he worked with have stories.

by Anonymousreply 306January 17, 2018 8:56 PM

I thought most of the creepy "only in California" crime stories ended after the 90's after it became a majority minority state and Silicon Valley took over.

Then all the freaks moved to Florida. This story feels very retro.

by Anonymousreply 307January 17, 2018 11:12 PM

The brother is also affiliated with the Bethel Church/School of Supernatural Ministry, aka "Christian Hogwarts"; the same church that featured heavily in the Sherri Papini saga.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308January 17, 2018 11:36 PM

Those girls are one stomach flu away from their ideal weight.

by Anonymousreply 309January 17, 2018 11:39 PM

If these Christian loons would all just get raptured right now most of America’s problems would evaporate by the next election.

by Anonymousreply 310January 17, 2018 11:55 PM

r308 LOLOLOLOLOL laughing my fucking head off.. 'School of Supernatural Ministry'.. You're killing me. I hope my neighbours can't hear me

by Anonymousreply 311January 18, 2018 1:27 AM

Have we cast the inevitable TV movie yet?

My vote - David Arquette as Dad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312January 18, 2018 1:34 AM

One of the things I remember reading around the time of the Papini things was that the supernatural-ministry students were despised in Redding area because they always had an eye out for someone on whom they could practice their magic.

One woman was at a mall with her mother (who was bald from chemo) and she said it was like running a gauntlet. Every 10 minutes, someone was rushing up, touching her without asking and trying to heal her.

by Anonymousreply 313January 18, 2018 1:52 AM

What would the employer have to say r305? It’s unlikely he was going to work and telling everyone be he had 13 kids locked up at home. Plus who wants to draw attention to themselves since people who were only acquaintances of the family are being bullied on line.

Not to mention his works legal department has probably ordered everyone not to talk to the media. There was a huge scandal at my office years ago which made national headlines and we were told under no circumstances to talk to the media. Any queries we received could be redirected to the head of legal. Speaking to the media was instant dismissal.

by Anonymousreply 314January 18, 2018 2:13 AM

When you have "homeschooling" and fake "schools" such as this, society abandons children to madness.

by Anonymousreply 315January 18, 2018 2:17 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 18, 2018 2:26 AM

DL4EVER

by Anonymousreply 317January 18, 2018 2:31 AM

I think his real religion was Disneyland. I remember a thread about how Disneyland fans (adults) were crazy.

by Anonymousreply 318January 18, 2018 2:32 AM

R314, an employer can give a general description of "didn't get along with other employees" or some weird interactions or inappropriate behavior.

by Anonymousreply 319January 18, 2018 2:34 AM

Speaking of weirdos with bowl cuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320January 18, 2018 2:39 AM

There seems to be a bizarre cult that involve bowl cuts and Disney

by Anonymousreply 321January 18, 2018 2:51 AM

Peter Berlin was one of the very few who could make a bowl cut work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 18, 2018 3:03 AM

Is there any chance they will get the chair?

by Anonymousreply 323January 18, 2018 3:07 AM

Nice hairdos boys!

by Anonymousreply 324January 18, 2018 3:23 AM

Do any of the cast members here remember seeing them at Disney?

by Anonymousreply 325January 18, 2018 3:25 AM

R319 because this isn’t about them and so why should any negative attention be focused on them. He just worked for them, they’re not responsible for his home life. And legally they probably can’t say anything. Not to mention maybe he did get along with other employees and was brilliant at his job and that’s not what people want to hear. And even if he was a socially inept Disney obsessed freak who got on everyone’s nerves, so what? Weird people exist, most of them don’t have half starved kids chained to beds at home.

by Anonymousreply 326January 18, 2018 3:26 AM

But R302, how can you possibly want to disavow a family who were living out the ideal conservative Christian lifestyle! The father was as much the authoritarian head of his family as any Promise Keeper, and the kiddies were brought up to be dutiful and obedient, and were home-schooled and protected from corrupting outside influences, just as good Christian children ought to be, and according to your creed the parents had every right to "chastise" the children as they saw fit.

And if Daddy was screwing the little girls or even getting them pregnant, I'm sure it was all the girls' idea, they were just following the example of Lot's daughters in your horrible fucking bible, which says that if a man gets drunk and has sex with his virgin daughters it's all their fault. Fuck off of the gay site, you damned hypocrite!

by Anonymousreply 327January 18, 2018 4:47 AM

You school them, gurl at r327!

by Anonymousreply 328January 18, 2018 7:15 AM

Whole thing screams "Psy Ops." The trips to renew their wedding vows and Disney excursions were cover stories so they could deliver the kids to a certain location for their periodic "maintenance." Endgame: to have everyone turn on the Christians. There's also an agenda to portray militia types as armed and dangerous, so much so that we need to take their guns or at least limit their access to weapons. The rabbit hole goes deep.

by Anonymousreply 329January 18, 2018 8:28 AM

"The rabbit hole goes deep."

It sure does, r329. All the way to the bottom of your eensy-weensy brain.

by Anonymousreply 330January 18, 2018 8:44 AM

Yup, going straight over r330 's head.

by Anonymousreply 331January 18, 2018 10:52 AM

More gruesome details released - link goes to daily mail

House of horrors children showered twice a year and got one meal a day

by Anonymousreply 332January 18, 2018 3:35 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333January 18, 2018 3:36 PM

Press conference

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334January 18, 2018 8:29 PM

Why keep breeding tons and tons of kids if you're only going to torture them?

by Anonymousreply 335January 18, 2018 9:39 PM

I'm all for the justice system and fair trials, due process, innocent until proven guilty.....but in this case, they should just suspend all of that. All the judge needs to say when they bring the parents into court is, "Life. No parole. Next."

by Anonymousreply 336January 18, 2018 9:44 PM

The press conference almost made me cry

by Anonymousreply 337January 18, 2018 9:51 PM

I can't believe the mother didn't crack and kill the father. I am going to assume the father went off the deep end first. I feel she is even more evil for letting this happen. Or worse, she was the instigator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338January 18, 2018 9:53 PM

Who is going to help those kids? It is going to take a long time and a lot of gentle and supportive care to help them. Does such help exist?

Yes, the press conference was sad. I thought the District Attorney was handsome though and liked his professional demeanor and retro style.

by Anonymousreply 339January 18, 2018 9:55 PM

they made a cult out of their "family"

by Anonymousreply 340January 18, 2018 9:55 PM

Did you hear the kids were planning their escape for two years?

That is a hellish prison story.

by Anonymousreply 341January 18, 2018 9:56 PM

It's terrible. The girl who escaped is a fucking hero.

I can't get over this story. This trash had money to renew their wedding vows (more than once!) and go to Vegas and Disney, but they only let their kids bathe once a year, starved them, never took them to dentists and, judging by the cross-eyed kid, didn't take them to doctors like they should have either.

by Anonymousreply 342January 18, 2018 10:04 PM

The wife is represented by a private attorney while hubby has a private defender. Seems that she will likely go the "I was abused too and none of this was my fault!" route. Hope it doesn't work!

by Anonymousreply 343January 18, 2018 10:11 PM

The mother/wife was EATING and not in chains. She must go down. Some of those kids are her grandchildren by incest.

by Anonymousreply 344January 18, 2018 10:13 PM

What is the difference between a private attorney and a private defender? They will probably both plead insanity. They probably both are insane, but should be in jail forever.

by Anonymousreply 345January 18, 2018 10:13 PM

I'd be OK with public hangings for both of them.

by Anonymousreply 346January 18, 2018 10:14 PM

Me, too, but they won't do that.

by Anonymousreply 347January 18, 2018 10:15 PM

I think the poster must have meant "public defender"

by Anonymousreply 348January 18, 2018 10:16 PM

Yup, meant public defender, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 349January 18, 2018 10:18 PM

This case rekindled memories of the infamous Joel Steinberg case. The wife claimed years of abuse, left her unable to protect their adopted daughter. I remember when they interviewed Steinberg's mother on the news after he murdered her after years of abuse, his mom quizzically asked if there was any way the little girl could have fallen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350January 18, 2018 10:32 PM

Not really though r350, Hedda Nussbaum was beaten so badly, this chick just seems like an idiot. Hedda started out beautiful and was really deformed by years of physical abuse. Steinberg was a real piece of shit, and he walks among us today.

by Anonymousreply 351January 18, 2018 10:48 PM

Steinberg attended AA meetings in Greenwich Village.

by Anonymousreply 352January 18, 2018 10:51 PM

"I thought the District Attorney was handsome though and liked his professional demeanor and retro style."

Yes; I love the slicked back hair, Buddy Holly glasses and striped tie! He looked great.

But he said that "these people sleep all day and stay up all night." Now how on earth did the father hold down a professional job if that was the case?

by Anonymousreply 353January 18, 2018 10:57 PM

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the guys job. I am pretty sure he no longer worked there. Correct? There is no way he was employed in the recent years in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 354January 18, 2018 11:00 PM

R353: if he was a contractor or freelance working from home, it makes sense.

I’m waiting for the children to do an interview.

by Anonymousreply 355January 18, 2018 11:11 PM

There's a lot of unknowns in this horror story. Parents have pleaded Not Gulity. This will drag on for ever. I'm astounded NO-ONE reported anything at any time although they all seem to be putting their hand up now for their few seconds of fame. If these kids didn't shower surely they would stink ..they did go to Vegas and Disney and what about Doctors visits. So many questions. And as for Aunty saying "he used to come into the shower and watch me it was a bit of a joke." Yeah really fuckin' funny!

by Anonymousreply 356January 18, 2018 11:13 PM

In the Disney and Las Vegas pictures the children don't look like they are being starved (their arms look pretty normal) so I wonder if the went though periods of eating and then periods of being starved.

by Anonymousreply 357January 18, 2018 11:34 PM

If they look like kids when they are 29 and 22 they are malnourished. I think the photos were from a year ago so it could have gotten worse as well.

by Anonymousreply 358January 18, 2018 11:39 PM

I was wondering the same thing about how quickly their condition deteriorated and the time frame of some of the things being talked about.

During the press conference he said that one of the older boys was taking classes outside of the house. When? He must have looked reasonably normal at the time.

R356, they saw a doctor four years ago but had never been to a dentist.

by Anonymousreply 359January 18, 2018 11:40 PM

R359 and did the Doctor not notice this child was underfed etc?

by Anonymousreply 360January 18, 2018 11:43 PM

[quote]In the Disney and Las Vegas pictures the children don't look like they are being starved (their arms look pretty normal) so I wonder if the went though periods of eating and then periods of being starved

They look pretty lean to my eyes. Also the lack of breasts on any of the older girls or young women, the haggard faces and under eye circles in even the youngest girls- this all speaks of vitamin deficiency and malnutrition.

by Anonymousreply 361January 18, 2018 11:48 PM

something is definitely not passing the smell test here.........15 people living in a house where no one was allowed to shower more than once a year.......would smell to high heavens. .........the neighbors would surely smell something.......considering how cheaply and drafty most houses are made in Cali nowadays..............

by Anonymousreply 362January 18, 2018 11:48 PM

no way they were only allowed 1 shower a year.

by Anonymousreply 363January 18, 2018 11:50 PM

r363 that is what the deputy sheriff on CNN stated.........just saying.........

by Anonymousreply 364January 18, 2018 11:53 PM

does anyone happen to know what weight oil to use in a 2017 Jeep Wrangler........is it 5w20 or 10w30??????

by Anonymousreply 365January 18, 2018 11:54 PM

[quote]Yes, the press conference was sad. I thought the District Attorney was handsome though and liked his professional demeanor and retro style.

Honey you are so DL

by Anonymousreply 366January 18, 2018 11:57 PM

[quote]They probably both are insane,

Look, there are plenty of people who CHOSE to do terrible things. They are not in the grip of psychosis, they understand what societal norms are, and they understand what is lawful and unlawful. The Turpins were quick to unchain a few of the kids when the police came knocking. If they had the foresight to keep their parents from visiting and to try and hide their abuse from the cops, they are not insane at all. They are personality disordered, which means, in a nutshell, that they are sane, with a marked preference for behaving like cunts.

by Anonymousreply 367January 19, 2018 12:03 AM

Awful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368January 19, 2018 12:07 AM

[quote]Duh, a 47 y/o woman can conceive naturally, specially a very fertile woman. [quote]Duh, nope they can't. It's impossible without intervention and a donor egg.

My aunt had a surprise "change of life" baby at 54. No donor or special intervention was involved.

by Anonymousreply 369January 19, 2018 12:09 AM

All their names began with ‘J’. I should have known.

by Anonymousreply 370January 19, 2018 12:11 AM

It's really sad, horrible.

by Anonymousreply 371January 19, 2018 12:12 AM

I didn't know they all shared an initial for their first names. That's never a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 372January 19, 2018 12:14 AM

Maybe he was trying to "keep them young". Some fountain of youth thing...through starvation.

by Anonymousreply 373January 19, 2018 12:15 AM

why are they smiling in pictures if they were so badly treated?

by Anonymousreply 374January 19, 2018 12:15 AM

I am sure they told them to smile. They could have been genuinely happy to be out of the house, too.

by Anonymousreply 375January 19, 2018 12:17 AM

I really pray those two parents rot in hell. This is awful and sad. I hope these people get a great deal of help and support. What if this is happening in your neighborhood now? Please please report if you suspect abuse.

by Anonymousreply 376January 19, 2018 12:21 AM

My aunt lived in the same street as a hoarder, from the street you couldn’t small a thing. It was only when a package was mistakenly delivered to my aunt and she dropped it over to the hoarders house and the hoarder opened the door that the stench hit her hard. She said she may as well have dipped her face in raw sewerage. But from the street not the slightest smell. I imagine that’s the same here, especially if they never opened a window.

by Anonymousreply 377January 19, 2018 12:24 AM

Their legs look normal in the wedding pictures yet they're all wearing kids' shoes. I suppose it's possible that someone out there in fundyland is selling little girls' shoes in adult sizes, but I've just looked through a bunch of Quiverfull family pictures and while there's no mistaking that something is off, the older kids are all wearing ballet flats or other age-appropriate shoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378January 19, 2018 12:28 AM

Dad quit work in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 379January 19, 2018 12:44 AM

But R378, at least three of those girls are already in their 20s in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 380January 19, 2018 12:48 AM

R379 I wonder what they did for money? Btw I thought he quit Lockheed Martin in 2011 and was working for Northrop.

by Anonymousreply 381January 19, 2018 12:48 AM

The only one of the kids with half a chance at recovery will be the toddler.

Sadly, the aftermath of this horror show will become a long running soap opera for years to come. Some people will step up to make sure they are looked after, but others - including their extended family and future spouses - will exploit them, and the tabloids will turn their lives into a freakshow. Mark my words, the wolves will descend as soon as their GoFundMe page hits $1 million.

by Anonymousreply 382January 19, 2018 12:49 AM

I'm wondering if they will find that the parents were taking out credit cards and buying cars in the names of the children in their 20s.

by Anonymousreply 383January 19, 2018 12:50 AM

Like my father used to say " they need to be taken out and shot". Evil, vile people.

by Anonymousreply 384January 19, 2018 12:50 AM

R363. Im hoping they were allowed to wash their privates and underarms with a washcloth and soap using the sink if they really weren't allowed to shower.

by Anonymousreply 385January 19, 2018 12:51 AM

Who or what is financing these people. A house ,cars, trips away, 13 kids, new clothes..the list goes on.

by Anonymousreply 386January 19, 2018 12:52 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387January 19, 2018 12:53 AM

I want someone to snatch his hair. I think his real hairline is at least halfway back on his head.

by Anonymousreply 388January 19, 2018 12:55 AM

They had dogs? Two? The year old Maltese was in better condition than the children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389January 19, 2018 1:11 AM

Let's tie them up and force them to watch us eat pie. Scumbag parents.

by Anonymousreply 390January 19, 2018 1:44 AM

The mother looked short with a small head and tiny hands. That could've made her seem slightly younger when she was in her teens and twenties, which could partially explain their appearance.

Looking at the annotated picture, which seems to have their current ages rather than their ages at the time (a year or so younger since I thought the picture was from 2016), some of the kids look their age and some look somewhat younger. None look 10 to me. For some reason the older adult kids appear even more emaciated. There was a picture where they had blue shirts on where they didn't appear emaciated. Why would this be the case?

Was Jeanetta the one who went for help? I thought the girl who did was 17. Maybe she's the one second from left in the NYPost picture.

by Anonymousreply 391January 19, 2018 1:58 AM

I'm also talking about their faces, not their bodies. So I guess most of them look like teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 392January 19, 2018 2:04 AM

I think the ones pictured in R368 are the ones who are adults now, who can legally be named. The one who is 17 now who escaped can't be named as she is still a minor?

by Anonymousreply 393January 19, 2018 2:23 AM

I’d guessed Joy was the one who escaped but she’s not 17.

by Anonymousreply 394January 19, 2018 2:30 AM

Oops, I meant the second from right, not left, in the. She's the only older looking girl not named.

by Anonymousreply 395January 19, 2018 2:35 AM

in the NYPost. My keyboard keeps closing when I'm on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 396January 19, 2018 2:38 AM

There is another one that is not in that photo with the names.

They don't even have their privacy. The others will eventually be named. They should take new names if they want to.

by Anonymousreply 397January 19, 2018 2:45 AM

someone read their cards today and they said that they were getting money from somewhere based on the amount of kids they had so they may have been getting welfare or some kind of gov't. money. Since they were home schooled and he registered his home as a school would he get govt. money and the amount would be based on the amount of kids he had in his "school" just like the public schools receive?

They also said that one if not both will not make it in jail because they will be "taken care of".

by Anonymousreply 398January 19, 2018 3:15 AM

read their cards?

by Anonymousreply 399January 19, 2018 3:16 AM

I'm in California and this really disturbs me that there is no state oversight for homeschoolers. 'm going to look and see if there are any groups trying to promote the state doing some sort of regular checks on homeschool kids.

by Anonymousreply 400January 19, 2018 3:47 AM

Yes, read their cards. I’m a psychic also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401January 19, 2018 3:53 AM

The parents look well fed, he actually looked a bit chunky in court. His Prince Valiant hairdo is also getting a bit shaggy.

by Anonymousreply 402January 19, 2018 4:35 AM

Anyone heard from Dr. Phil?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403January 19, 2018 4:58 AM

They need to interview some of the father's former coworkers. He must have stunk to high heaven, even if he showered the house stank would stick to his clothing. Plus I bet he was a weirdo on the job.

by Anonymousreply 404January 19, 2018 5:06 AM

They face life in prison "if convicted".

Honestly, how on earth could they NOT be convicted???

by Anonymousreply 405January 19, 2018 5:08 AM

well plus they must get a thousands of dollars from uncle same for all the kids they have, they can claim exemptions or something?

by Anonymousreply 406January 19, 2018 5:12 AM

This story seems to answer the questions that keep coming up in this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407January 19, 2018 5:45 AM

I hope it eats them alive that it was one of their own kids that called the authorities. Not neighbours or a welfare check but their own kids who are responsible for the public humiliation and the jail sentence. I hope at least a couple of them testify against them and tell them they fucking hate them. That’s the kind of thing that tortures narcissists like that.

by Anonymousreply 408January 19, 2018 5:46 AM

That was my point, r380. They're in their twenties, so how are they fitting into little kids' shoes? I know that people can go down a size when they lose weight, but the shoes they're wearing are for flower girls and first communions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409January 19, 2018 5:51 AM

R409 They've probably been starved consistently throughout their whole lives and probably the food they were given was not high in protein. Children need a decent diet to grow and develop properly. Many parents go without themselves to ensure their children have enough to eat, it's a natural instinct.

by Anonymousreply 410January 19, 2018 6:02 AM

I had thought of skeletal issues due to malnutrition too, r410, but then I keep going back to their having seen a doctor four years ago. They don't look emaciated in any of the pictures I've seen but they do look underweight. You'd think that between that, their grayish skin and lifelong lack of dental care some red flags would have been raised?

We know so little right now; it's just going to get worse and worse.

by Anonymousreply 411January 19, 2018 6:22 AM

I think some of the faces give it away, they just seem 'wrong' in some way. They remind me of people who are anorexic. I think the doctor who saw them can't have examined them properly. There was a famous case of child abuse in the UK (baby P) where a doctor saw him the day before he died and didn't notice he had a broken back.

by Anonymousreply 412January 19, 2018 6:32 AM

I think the most shocking thing is how the two older sons, both men in their 20s allowed this to happen to themselves and their sisters. It's not as if those two were in a constant state of malnourishment....why couldn't those two overpower their parents and put a stop to this?

by Anonymousreply 413January 19, 2018 7:04 AM

The website for Corona's Chamber of Commerce listed the clothing and show sizes of the adults.

The women's shoe sizes are range from size 5 to 7. Three of the women wear 6.5

Shoe Sizes 5 and 6-1/2 are small but not an uncommon size.

The women's pant sizes are really small - Junior size 1 & 3 not Women's size 1&3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414January 19, 2018 7:18 AM

^^^ typo: shoe size not show size

by Anonymousreply 415January 19, 2018 7:21 AM

I would absolutely send them books dealing with emotions, as per the link form r414.

Perhaps the Tillerman cycle by Lois Lowry.

by Anonymousreply 416January 19, 2018 7:25 AM

From the article posted above:

[quote]David Turpin was additionally charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under the age of 14.

"David Turpin touched one of the victims in a lewd way using force or fear," Mr Hestrin said of the last charge.

by Anonymousreply 417January 19, 2018 7:28 AM

Could they even write well enough for the kid's journals to be usable? They said the children didn't know what a police man was or what medicine/pills were.

by Anonymousreply 418January 19, 2018 7:30 AM

r413 they were starved, beaten, strangled and kept up all night. They were emotionally and intellectually impaired from years of ever worsening starvation. After some of them learned to free themselves from the ropes their dad started chaining them up sometimes for months at a time. They had to shit in their own bedrooms, lived in squalor, they knew virtually nothing of the outside world and suffered from severe muscle wastage from years of deprivation.

It took the 17 year old two entire years to get the guts up to jump out of a window to get help. And you’re wondering why the boys didn’t just overpower their dad who they were petrified of and who fed them once a week? Have you been starved yourself because you sound impaired.

by Anonymousreply 419January 19, 2018 7:32 AM

I think the heroic 17 yr old girl is pictured second from the right in the magenta plaid wedding group shot. She is standing next to the oldest child, Jennifer 29.

They are standing in a different order than they are in the tighter photo that is titled with names and ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420January 19, 2018 7:37 AM

Umm, you mean men, R419. They are grown men, not boys, and they don't look emaciated or undersized in the pics.

by Anonymousreply 421January 19, 2018 7:37 AM

Tighter shot with names and ages.

Janetta looked cross-eyed in the wider big group shot but not in the tighter, titled photo. She probably just stared to hard at the camera in the other photo.

The second oldest male does look cross-eyed in both photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422January 19, 2018 7:42 AM

wow, those sons are fug.

by Anonymousreply 423January 19, 2018 7:44 AM

^^^ typo: too hard (not to hard)

by Anonymousreply 424January 19, 2018 7:44 AM

In the video of the other wedding, the girls seemed to have trouble walking down the aisle. But then I realized they were wearing heels.

It was sad that the older girls didn't seem able to bounce in time to the the Elvis song.

I wish someone would tackle the dad and shave his damn hair off.

by Anonymousreply 425January 19, 2018 7:49 AM

This is a weird observation but if you look at the way the three younger girls are arranged in r420's picture, the one in the middle is the perfect combination of the girl on either side of her. It's as if the one on the left's skull is morphing into the one on the right and the middle girl is exactly halfway through the transformation.

by Anonymousreply 426January 19, 2018 7:59 AM

Could you link to that video r425? I'd like to see it.

by Anonymousreply 427January 19, 2018 8:05 AM

Those 2 oldest boys are unfortunate looking

by Anonymousreply 428January 19, 2018 8:17 AM

[427]

It was the 2013 wedding. See the clip . Same dresses but the older girls have different shoes that have heels. The girls walk in about at :58.

I saw a video where their faces weren't blurred out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429January 19, 2018 8:31 AM

I think Caitlyn Jenner should adopt them. Their names all start with J, and despite their mental impairments they're still no doubt more intelligent than any of the Kardashian klan. It's Lady Cait's time to outshine Pimp Momma Kris with this runway ready instant family. This was God's will to overthrow Kim and krew once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 430January 19, 2018 8:36 AM

R240 From what I learned in human biology in university was this: Children born into poverty and malnutrition are deprived of vital nutrients. By the time they’re three, the damage to their body and brains are permanent.

by Anonymousreply 431January 19, 2018 8:41 AM

R259 I think the middle son is blind.

by Anonymousreply 432January 19, 2018 8:44 AM

R432 I believe that is quite possible.

by Anonymousreply 433January 19, 2018 11:18 AM

[Quote]I think the most shocking thing is how the two older sons, both men in their 20s allowed this to happen to themselves and their sisters. It's not as if those two were in a constant state of malnourishment....why couldn't those two overpower their parents and put a stop to this?

After decades of abuse, psychologically they were no match for the father.

Why would a gay male stay in an abusive relationship for years when he can pack his bags and leave at any time?

by Anonymousreply 434January 19, 2018 11:22 AM

It makes you wonder how many other situations like this have not been discovered yet.

by Anonymousreply 435January 19, 2018 11:39 AM

Good question, R434.

by Anonymousreply 436January 19, 2018 12:43 PM

And I thought the Duggars were crazy.

by Anonymousreply 437January 19, 2018 12:51 PM

The parents are DUGGAR WORSHIPPERS, r368!

J, J, J, J, J, J, J, J, J,.........

by Anonymousreply 438January 19, 2018 12:51 PM

On a totally trivial note, that is one terrible Elvis impersonator.

by Anonymousreply 439January 19, 2018 1:04 PM

I think they can tell from xrays of the skeleton how long they were starved for. According to one report the 2 year is a normal weight. I suspect they may have fed them all reasonable amounts but just didn't increase it as they got older. It really is horrific to think what they went through. Teenagers need more food even than adults, especially boys, so that they can grow into adults.

by Anonymousreply 440January 19, 2018 1:24 PM

They only let the kids bathe ONCE A YEAR. There were how many of them? Plus parents. In a sealed home (A.C.) in a place where it can get and stay warm. What kind of STINK must have wafted off that place? And why didn't the neighbors at least place a public nuisance claim about it? I can walk by houses in my otherwise tidy , upper middleclass neighborhood even in the winter and smell stale cig smoke, unwashed bodies, stale cooking odo,r and general filth from the STREET.

by Anonymousreply 441January 19, 2018 1:33 PM

I hope the two mouth-breathing, exceeding depraved parents are CHAINED to toilets in prison, forced to sit on an ever-mounting pile of their own SHIT, while people pass large platters of really delicious food in front of their TARD faces and don't allow them to eat any of it.

by Anonymousreply 442January 19, 2018 1:37 PM

Hate to say this, but those sons look gross. There's something really disturbing about both of them aside from how ugly they are.

by Anonymousreply 443January 19, 2018 1:39 PM

They did the Duggar J-name thing too? WTF. Fundies are freaks

by Anonymousreply 444January 19, 2018 1:47 PM

R441, there’s a post upthread where somebody talks about not being able to pick up any smell from a hoarder’s house from the outside, but being blown away when the person opened the front door. Maybe your neighbors open the windows instead of sealing themselves in?

by Anonymousreply 445January 19, 2018 1:50 PM

That shoe at R409 is what The Lady Chablis used to call a "Little Debbie" heel.

by Anonymousreply 446January 19, 2018 1:56 PM

R439 He was bad at Elvis, but I admired his professionalism to keep up his energy and positivity through the creepy spectacle in his chapel.

by Anonymousreply 447January 19, 2018 2:00 PM

I don't understand the bathing once a year thing...what is that about? I mean, I don't understand any of this, but how could you tolerate that kind of stench from all those filthy people? Why not once a month at the very least?

by Anonymousreply 448January 19, 2018 2:09 PM

The thing is, the mom is short. So stunted kids could just be thought naturally short. Let's be honest, you have to be damned sure in reporting anyone as being an unfit parent ---- i'd be scared shitless of this insane idiot hulking dad. If It turned out CFS said there was nothing illegal and he found out you were the reporting them, your life would be over and those kids would still be in he'll.

There were a lot of videos on the Daily Mail site last night, interviews with their former neighbors in Texas, etc. And one woman said her husband just about had a cow when he met some of the kids and heard about his wife's encounters with these people. She said her husband feared the insanity of these people and said 'they could snatch our kids and disappear and we'd be helpless. Stay far away from these crazy people.'

And unfortunately, that is what people did. Social policy has made it hard to ensure a child's well-being.

by Anonymousreply 449January 19, 2018 2:11 PM

R422 To tell if someone is cross-eyed you'd look at them in a shot straight on and not too close up. Turning your head slightly, like in the tighter shot, can obscure that. I agree with another poster that one son appears blind.

I have a feeling they were given just enough food to grow and maybe starved more with age. Could that be why the oldest appear the most emaciated? Is it just baby fat making the other kids look more normal?

by Anonymousreply 450January 19, 2018 2:13 PM

Well, excuse me but a neighbor could at least call social services. I doubt the source of a tip need be revealed. This on the parents but there is community breakdown too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451January 19, 2018 2:13 PM

Very strange fundies... isn’t it a goal of these cretins to marry off the girls at a very young age so that they could serve their husbands?

by Anonymousreply 452January 19, 2018 2:34 PM

R407 the author of that article begged the fucking question!!!! He failed!!!!! INCORRECT!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 453January 19, 2018 2:42 PM

[quote]The parents are DUGGAR WORSHIPPERS, [R368]!

[quote]J, J, J, J, J, J, J, J, J,.........

They started having kids before the Duggars did. I don’t think they follow any movement like Quiverfull, they’re their own brand of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 454January 19, 2018 2:48 PM

[quote]The woman attorney for the father has the same profile as Mary Lynn Rajskub.

Mary Lynn can play her in the Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 455January 19, 2018 2:50 PM

I'm going to go off the reservation and say that I don't think they are believers like The creepo Duggars,

I believe they are some sort of unholy mash-up of the Manson Family and the FLDS. The Duggars are pretty much straight up bible beaters. There is something sinister here...besides the likely incest.

by Anonymousreply 456January 19, 2018 2:52 PM

I think they're tremendous r443!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457January 19, 2018 3:51 PM

The dad and the older sons look creepy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 458January 19, 2018 4:01 PM

Can't wait for the Ann Rule type book about this shit.

by Anonymousreply 459January 19, 2018 4:26 PM

So the parents are obsessed with all things Disney, even posing "with Tinkerbell."

Of course, the most famous song from the original "Peter Pan" is.....wait for it.....

"I Won't Grow Up."

by Anonymousreply 460January 19, 2018 4:36 PM

I wonder if some of the younger kids are the byproduct of a Flowers in the Attic situation. In those books weren't the little kids deformed from starvation and lack of sunlight?

They might have also been happy in the wedding and Disney photos because they got to go out and likely got fed.

by Anonymousreply 461January 19, 2018 4:44 PM

This is a real American Horror Story. Someone in Hollywood is going to pay them a ton of money for the rights to the story I hope the parents never see a dime and a trust is set up for the children.

by Anonymousreply 462January 19, 2018 5:42 PM

[quote]I think the most shocking thing is how the two older sons, both men in their 20s allowed this to happen to themselves and their sisters. It's not as if those two were in a constant state of malnourishment....why couldn't those two overpower their parents and put a stop to this?

The brain changes in response to prolonged exposure to abuse. The neurological pathways are changed. One's natural 'fight or flight' responses are disabled. Starvation and sleep deprivation are key means used by torturers to render the victim physically weak, disorientated, and over time unable to act in their own self-interest. These pieces of filth beat and strangled the victims, the message there is that they would be killed for rebellion. That instills submission and terror in the victims, and more weakness from the effects of the constant stress and cortisol release. Incidentally, strangulation is the number one sign that a physically abusive person is capable of murder. Finally there is shame, resulting from their physical abuse (faeces and urine on the victims) and knowledge that their parents are sick. Any kid of an alcoholic will tell you how the shame works - you don't want 'outsiders' coming in and seeing how bad things are, so you end up protecting that parent.

by Anonymousreply 463January 19, 2018 5:47 PM

There is a thread right now on Colleen Stan aka "The Girl in the Box" who was an adult though a young one, and was kidnapped by a couple and held hostage in a box in their house for 7 years and made to have sex with them, etc. She was allowed to call her family and even went home for a holiday and then came back to the couple. I thought this was really fucking weird, I mean she was free and out and went back. I guess the point is that someone who didn't even know their captor had enough Stockholm syndrome to return to him, so the kids who are related to this couple are surely going to have mixed emotions about leaving and getting them busted.

by Anonymousreply 464January 19, 2018 5:53 PM

R437 Look up Jill Rodrigues and her family of soon to be 13 starving kids while she and her husband (also named David) look well fed .

by Anonymousreply 465January 19, 2018 6:20 PM

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I have a feeling those creepy looking sons may not be so innocent. The sons, especially the older two older look deranged, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them. I have a feeling they were treated better than the girls and may have been abusing their own sisters.

by Anonymousreply 466January 19, 2018 6:23 PM

R466 That's possible. Abusers often force or manipulate their victims to take an active part in the abuse themselves and abuse other victims.

by Anonymousreply 467January 19, 2018 6:31 PM

Who is the fucker who keeps on screaming about how 2 'adult' boys could let their parents chain them up? Have you seen the photos? Those boys, look at best, mentally challenged from years of abuse.

by Anonymousreply 468January 19, 2018 6:34 PM

[quote]The siblings had long looked for a way to escape, Hestrin said. The 17-year-old who led police to the house had been working on a plan [bold]with her brothers[/bold] and sister to break away for more than two years, Hestrin said.

If the brothers were in on it, they had two years to tell the parents about the planned escape and never did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469January 19, 2018 6:46 PM

It looks like they were all abused . I guess we will hear more awful details later.

by Anonymousreply 470January 19, 2018 6:49 PM

One of the stories said a neighbor saw a book on preparing for Armageddon on the floor of their trailer.

by Anonymousreply 471January 19, 2018 6:58 PM

I went to elementary school in the late 60's early 70's. There was a family in my neighborhood that everyone suspected of similar darkness. 2 boys in my school, one in my class. They wore severe and identical clothes and the style didn't change year to year. They never had enough to eat at lunch. They were super skinny and pale. I went a few times to play at their house. It was creepy. kids aren't dumb and those 2 boys would ask for food. We would all give them food. Then one year we were all told NEVER to give the boys food because they had very strict diets and were allergic. This was complete bullshit and of course very strange to us because it was very very rare to hear of a "food allergy" in those days. They were hungry.

by Anonymousreply 472January 19, 2018 7:07 PM

[Quote][R437] Look up Jill Rodrigues and her family of soon to be 13 starving kids while she and her husband (also named David) look well fed .

Ruh, roh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473January 19, 2018 7:31 PM

[quote]The abuse began when the family lived in Fort Worth, Hestrin said. The parents lived apart and would deliver food to the children from time to time. The family moved to California in 2010, first to Murrieta, also in Riverside County, then in 2014 to their house in Perris.

Whoa. Who knows what sick shit they were up to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474January 19, 2018 7:40 PM

they were not poor, they had a collection of dvds in their house. maybe they taped the abuse and sold them online. fuckers need to be locked up. poor kids.

by Anonymousreply 475January 19, 2018 7:54 PM

the siblings look like they spent a lot of time in the dark, maybe that is why some of their eyes look different. This whole thing is just so sad. I'm sure it's worse than we can imagine.

by Anonymousreply 476January 19, 2018 7:54 PM

always, always! the people who shouldn't be having kids have a shit load of kids.

people will have kids for all the wrong reasons.

by Anonymousreply 477January 19, 2018 7:55 PM

I knew a girl in HS. Her parents had both died in an accident and she had to live with an aunt and uncle. They were nuts, lived in the middle of nowhere and bred dogs. The girl had to clean out the kennels and feed the dogs for hours every day. She smelled bad, of the dogs. We all felt sorry for her. She wasn't being beaten but they treated her like unpaid labour.

by Anonymousreply 478January 19, 2018 7:59 PM

Even as kids, kids can notice when other kids are in an abusive situation.

by Anonymousreply 479January 19, 2018 8:01 PM

r409 I am an elderly well fed woman and I wear children size shoes. A lot of small women do.

by Anonymousreply 480January 19, 2018 8:04 PM

there was a family at our school that shared bathwater. The father went first, then the kids. The mother sponged herself.

by Anonymousreply 481January 19, 2018 8:05 PM

they should be executed for their faces alone.......

by Anonymousreply 482January 19, 2018 8:11 PM

They are adult men in their mid to late 20s, R268, not boys.

by Anonymousreply 483January 19, 2018 8:23 PM

According to the mother's sister, she and the mother were abused during childhood. She's a writer who has chronicled what they endured in a series of self-help books.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484January 19, 2018 8:26 PM

A few of you dont know how to read a thread and are posting the same exact preliminary discovery facts review from different sources. What, you couldn't read it in the first 5 linked articles??? We need 10 more links to the same?

by Anonymousreply 485January 19, 2018 8:29 PM

Bitch, I know you ain't talkin' bout me!

by Anonymousreply 486January 19, 2018 8:43 PM

In the early 70's I had a friend that had a neighbor that had a 12 year old foster child. (12 year olds were younger then) My friend told me that all the neighbors knew how they treated that child but the man always bragged about being in the mob so they were all afraid of him. The neighbors had been witness to them buying ice cream for their own kids and making her sit there wad watch them eat it and wouldn't get any. One heard the father tell her the only way she was ever leaving that home was in a casket.

I told my friend if he was really in the mob he wouldn't have been bragging about it. Then I said I didn't care who the hell he was I was calling Child Protective Services. I did. My friend told her other neighbors what I had done and when CPS questioned them they all opened up. It took 6 months but they finally got her out of there and they were not allowed to have any more foster kids.

There is strength in numbers. If something is going on then people need to band together to do something. No one told anyone else so they all just pretended nothing was wrong. This could have ended long ago if they had joined forces.

There is a time to mind ones own business and there is a time not to. It takes a village.

by Anonymousreply 487January 19, 2018 9:05 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488January 19, 2018 9:20 PM

omg, over 10 kids, her vag must be loose as fuck, the size of grand canyon!!!

by Anonymousreply 489January 19, 2018 9:55 PM

R488: It’s making more sense why the extended family didn’t know.

by Anonymousreply 490January 19, 2018 10:15 PM

This was kind of funny about the 7 year old who got away from her kidnapper. Some people are just way more fearless and will take a chance instead of staying kidnapped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491January 19, 2018 10:19 PM

R491: Elizabeth Smart had a family and a home. She had a place to return.

These 13 did not Have anyplace to run.

by Anonymousreply 492January 19, 2018 10:24 PM

I read the Daily Mail article R488, the mother apparently wanted more children. Maybe she likes infants but didn't care for children when they get older. I thought that was a symptom of some sort of psychological disorder.

by Anonymousreply 493January 19, 2018 10:30 PM

Um, the mother was abused as a child according to one of her siblings. Just a hunch, I think that might have a little to do with why she turned out the way she did.

by Anonymousreply 494January 19, 2018 10:35 PM

Any idea as to why the sons are so homely looking? They give off a very creepy vibe. One wonders why it wasn't one of them that escaped instead of leaving their little sister to rescue them all. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 495January 19, 2018 10:36 PM

According to some articles several of the older kids are mentally impaired. My guess is that both older sons are among the mentally impaired. Honestly I think onle the ones who are 12-13 or younger will have any semblance of a normal life in the future.

by Anonymousreply 496January 19, 2018 10:40 PM

I’m wondering what the age breakdown is for the kids? Boys vs girls.

by Anonymousreply 497January 19, 2018 11:01 PM

r493 No comment!

by Anonymousreply 498January 19, 2018 11:12 PM

Scroll to the 11 minute mark in this video where a licensed Forensic Psychologist (not the basement dwelling, assclown, armchair psychiatrists upstream on this thread) explains how depriving someone of food can be used in mind control, and in order to survive horrific abuse, victims sometimes will side with their abusers as a coping mechanism.

The foreign press is having a field day with this story. Yes Americans, send them back, build that wall, MAGA - Bwahaha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499January 20, 2018 12:12 AM

[quote]Um, the mother was abused as a child according to one of her siblings.

According to one of her siblings who's trying to sell books. I don't trust that bitch either.

by Anonymousreply 500January 20, 2018 12:21 AM

Lots of people who are raped or abused don't go on to harm others. You just know this bitch mother is going to use her childhood as an excuse.

by Anonymousreply 501January 20, 2018 12:30 AM

CNN: Children at the California home were starved but the 2 dogs found there were well fed and in good shape, officials say.

by Anonymousreply 502January 20, 2018 12:32 AM

Sickos

Can anyone make out what the DVDs on the shelves are? TV shows?

by Anonymousreply 503January 20, 2018 12:43 AM

Everybody Loves Raymond, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, a lot of kids' movies like Cars I and II. Some fundamentalist religious ones like that Kevin Sorbo crapfest God's Not Dead.

Louise was the very definition of a "bat-faced girl" in her wedding photo.

The fact that her father was so fat leads me to believe she must have had a phobia about her kids becoming fat. Her mother was incredibly thin and looked unhappy and put-upon in every photo, then they divorced after Louise was taken by David. Louise's father was apparently making a living up until she was taken as an itinerant preacher, so she and her sisters may have been pretty messed up from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 504January 20, 2018 1:10 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505January 20, 2018 1:14 AM

Something with Rock Hudson, too

by Anonymousreply 506January 20, 2018 1:16 AM

The Duck Dynasty collection makes sense for the West Virginia hillbilly conservative xtians. The fact that they had The Changeling is pretty scary for people who are wondering if they were planning on killing all the older kids. Eddie Murphy Raw??? The Golden Girls???

by Anonymousreply 507January 20, 2018 1:17 AM

I think The Golden Girls are still in the shrink wrap. Bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 508January 20, 2018 1:19 AM

Dreamgirls? WTF

by Anonymousreply 509January 20, 2018 1:21 AM

Bonnie and Clyde

Bus Stop

Castaway

by Anonymousreply 510January 20, 2018 1:29 AM

The person who keeps going on about how these mentally retarded, possibly blind and definitely starved boys should have 'fought off' the parents and were probably abusing the girls is just disgusting. What is your problem?

by Anonymousreply 511January 20, 2018 1:42 AM

[quote]Something with Rock Hudson, too

Embryo

by Anonymousreply 512January 20, 2018 1:47 AM

Probably someone’s from the Turpins defence team, r511. Who else would continually stick the boot into the victims? Only someone with something to gain, surely.

The only other option is it’s some fat fuck who can’t imagine what it’s like to eat less than 8000 calories a day.

by Anonymousreply 513January 20, 2018 1:49 AM

Can malnutrition cause blindness?

by Anonymousreply 514January 20, 2018 1:52 AM

The Turpin child abuse story fits a widespread and disturbing homeschooling pattern

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515January 20, 2018 1:58 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516January 20, 2018 2:07 AM

by Anonymousreply 517January 20, 2018 2:48 AM

A long time ago, DL had a thread about warning signs to look out for in a date/hookup's house. I remember one DLer said: a wall-sized collection of DVDs or VHS tapes. The poster also wrote something along the lines of, "It may not seem like a big deal, but trust me, I'm speaking from experience."

I lol'd because growing up, I had a creepy bachelor uncle who indeed had a wall-sized VHS movie collection in his kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 518January 20, 2018 3:09 AM

I’m sure this has been talked about ad nauseum but how the hell can I click on these friggin Daily Mail links?

by Anonymousreply 519January 20, 2018 3:18 AM

I remember that thread. Aquariums were another red flag.

by Anonymousreply 520January 20, 2018 3:18 AM

Oh dear, and I was thinking of getting an aquarium.

by Anonymousreply 521January 20, 2018 3:20 AM

They only work if you turn off "show link previews," r519.

by Anonymousreply 522January 20, 2018 3:20 AM

[quote]’m sure this has been talked about ad nauseum but how the hell can I click on these friggin Daily Mail links?

open a google window and type the headline or whatever words you see with daily mail

by Anonymousreply 523January 20, 2018 3:21 AM

Thanks r522!

by Anonymousreply 524January 20, 2018 3:29 AM

Absolutely r514.

by Anonymousreply 525January 20, 2018 3:31 AM

R515 I remember reading or hearing some of those cases. Another horrible tragedy linked to homeschooling parents was the murder of Adrian Jones in Kansas City, KS. Adrian's father was a bail bondsman who along with his wife(Adrian's stepmom) abused and starved the boy. The dad said he was homeschooling the kids and registered his home as homeschooling academy. But, there is speculation that he might not been homeschooling Adrian and the other kids.

by Anonymousreply 526January 20, 2018 3:35 AM

Vitamin A deficiency is a common cause of blindness in African children.

by Anonymousreply 527January 20, 2018 3:51 AM

Their DVD’s (and thinking to identify them) are hilarious and creepy.

by Anonymousreply 528January 20, 2018 4:05 AM

Perhaps the boy others propose is blind simply has severe congenital near-sightedness. My dad had this and wore glasses from earliest childhood until his death at 48. He was very highly functional and had good sight as long as he had his glasses at hand. Given that the eldest son wears glasses and the second eldest seems cross eyed, perhaps those 2 younger boys have untreated but restorable decent vision. It then begs the question, how many if most any, of the girls have acceptable vision? It appears that writing in journals was possible on a regular basis, but how large is their script and how legible?

by Anonymousreply 529January 20, 2018 4:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530January 20, 2018 4:07 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531January 20, 2018 4:38 AM

r526 All those fuckers are rank amateurs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532January 20, 2018 5:39 AM

The mother's sister is on 20/20 talking about staying with them in Fort Worth one summer. They only had four young kids and while they were all locked in their rooms for long stretches of time, the eldest daughter seemed to be singled out. She was kindergarten or first-grade aged that summer and Louise would force her to make eye contact, smile, and then ask for permission to sit at the table and eat. She's making it sound like the husband was just along for the ride. None of the kids were allowed to talk to her (the aunt).

They didn't trust "church people" or the Pentecostal Church they had been members of, and Louise was shopping for a new religion at the time. She remembers her researching Mormonism, Catholicism, and the Mennonite Church. She thinks she came up with some sort of hybrid, which led them to where they are now.

She also said that Louise would unlock the bathroom door with a coat hanger and they would both watch her shower and force her to come out in front of them and dry off. Neither one ever touched her. David would flirt and make comments about her body in front of Louise, who didn't seem to mind. She was only allowed to leave the house to go to work, couldn't make phone calls, have anyone over, or tell anyone where she lived. Again, she says this was initiated by Louise and he would just sit back and watch.

Finally, validating DL's collective aversion to Disney freaks, they had season tickets to Disney for the entirety of their marriage.

Apologies if all of this has been covered in her interviews. I did read about the shower thing, but the article didn't go into much detail.

by Anonymousreply 533January 20, 2018 5:59 AM

Well, they certainly tried to make showering as unpleasant as possible.

by Anonymousreply 534January 20, 2018 6:17 AM

The mother is at least equally responsible if R533 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 535January 20, 2018 6:46 AM

Why didn't her sister say anything before, she must have known that was not normal behavior.

by Anonymousreply 536January 20, 2018 6:49 AM

Thanks for the info, r533

by Anonymousreply 537January 20, 2018 6:59 AM

The sister of Louise Turpin says she (the sister) was sexually abused by a close family member for years. She doesn't say who it was but I'd be interested to know who. I'm always curious as to how people like this get to be so damaged and awful.

by Anonymousreply 538January 20, 2018 7:45 AM

[quote]She also said that Louise would unlock the bathroom door with a coat hanger and they would both watch her shower and force her to come out in front of them and dry off. Neither one ever touched her. David would flirt and make comments about her body in front of Louise, who didn't seem to mind.

The very first time her sister jimmied the bathroom door lock while she was showering and then stood there to watch with her creepy ass husband, she never thought to punch and delete?

EVERY SINGLE person involved in this story, from the neighbors ("We saw the kids eating out of the trash, but never dreamed that anything was amiss!") to the relatives, etc. seem to be so oddly accepting of completely batshit bizarre behavior, that it is making me want to tear my hair out reading it all. Is that town in California located in the fucking Twilight Zone?

by Anonymousreply 539January 20, 2018 7:47 AM

[quote]The very first time her sister jimmied the bathroom door lock while she was showering and then stood there to watch with her creepy ass husband, she never thought to punch and delete?

And do what and go where? The sister was there for the summer, and had been sexually abused at home. Punch and delete my ass.

by Anonymousreply 540January 20, 2018 8:06 AM

Louise Turpin has the eyes of a borderline personality disordered person. There's a book on this type called Understanding the Borderline Mother by Christine Ann Lawson. Any of you who had an abusive mother or have an interest in criminal psychology may find it of interest. Lawson describes four sub types of the borderline mother: the Waif, the Hermit, the Queen and the Witch. Louise Turpin appears to have traits of all four!

The Borderline Waif Mother: easily injured, depressed, prone to feelings of helplessness, abused in childhood when fantasy became her escape. Projects inner feelings of helplessness and victimisation onto others. Able to appear socially engaging. Her rage can take others by surprise.

The Borderline Hermit Mother: The chapter on this type begins with a quote from Snow White (note the photo of Louise Turpin dressing as this character and dressing her baby in a mini version of the costume]. Wants to feel walled-in, safe from predators. Dreams of moat-enclosed castles or living in cabins deep in the woods. Retreats into a blackness that threatens to consume her. Hard external shell that is difficult to penetrate. Terrified of not having control. Her impenetrable exterior is woven with terror laced with hostility.

The Borderline Queen Mother: A 'mirror-hungry' personality with inner feelings of worthlessness that they seek to counteract by displaying themselves to evoke the admiration of others. Deprived as a child, seeks special treatment as an adult to compensate which is won through intimidation and manipulation. Has 'oral greediness', - desperate emotional hunger. Her behaviour is akin to a child that has gone too long between feedings. Starved, frustrated, and unable to calm or soothe herself, she grabs on to what is hers and takes more than she needs, fearing it may be taken from her.

The Borderline Witch Mother: Capable of horrifying child abuse. Their children never outgrow their fear of her. The Witch's children have no safe harbor and feel like prisoners in a secret war. The Witch emerges when she and the children are alone, so they have no witnesses to verify their experiences.Their children's terror may become hatred. The Witch's grown son may become a sadistic abuser of women.Those closest to her often deny, minimise, and ignore signs of her desperation until tragedy strikes.

by Anonymousreply 541January 20, 2018 10:23 AM

if 13 children screamed their heads off at the same time, wouldn't that have rescued them? The were all so damaged, into utter slavery and obedience. Fascinating and horrible.

by Anonymousreply 542January 20, 2018 10:28 AM

The partners of Borderline Mothers are categorised by Lawson ( in a chapter entitled 'Fairy-Tale Fathers') into the following types:

The Huntsman - a partner who will pity and protect her (sought by the Hermit) The Frog-Prince - a man in need of rescue who she hopes will rescue her (sought by the Waif) The King - a narcissist (sought by the Queen - note the Elvis fixation 'The King') The Fisherman - a subservient partner she can dominate and control (sought by the Witch)

Child abuse researcher John Money (1992) observed: 'Collusional participation of one parent with the other in the abuse and neglect of a child represent a manifestation of shared irrationality known by its French psychiatric name, folie Ă  deux. One person of the pair has a fixed irrational belief or a delusion which is assimilated by the partner'.

David and Louise Turpin displaced their repressed self-hatred onto their poor kids.

by Anonymousreply 543January 20, 2018 10:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544January 20, 2018 11:01 AM

Erin Brockovich? I'll bet that David had a good drool over Julia Roberts' tits.

by Anonymousreply 545January 20, 2018 11:44 AM

They have 2 separate Cary Grant box sets and Call Northside 77 amid the dreck.

I bet these kids watched NONE of them.

These two pigs tied their kids up and watched movies all day.

by Anonymousreply 546January 20, 2018 11:46 AM

[quote]EVERY SINGLE person involved in this story, from the neighbors ("We saw the kids eating out of the trash, but never dreamed that anything was amiss!") to the relatives, etc. seem to be so oddly accepting of completely batshit bizarre behavior, that it is making me want to tear my hair out reading it all. Is that town in California located in the fucking Twilight Zone?

and the guy who said he saw the kids (through a window) marching back and forth in the house

by Anonymousreply 547January 20, 2018 11:55 AM

Siblings allegedly held captive were robotic, marched for hours in circles, former neighbor says

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548January 20, 2018 11:56 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549January 20, 2018 12:08 PM

If I saw that going on next door, as described in R549, I would have called social services.

by Anonymousreply 550January 20, 2018 12:45 PM

Maybe this will wake up more people to do that in the future, R550

by Anonymousreply 551January 20, 2018 12:51 PM

But why do people need to be woken up about community responsibility? I am 55 and everyone I know learned about Kitty Genovese and the bystander effect, which was from the 60's, in Psych or Sociology 101. It should be taught in High Schools nowadays, because people are distracted with their virtual lives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552January 20, 2018 12:59 PM

Well, a lot of 'weird" behavior is accepted and people "do not want to get involved." O

by Anonymousreply 553January 20, 2018 1:11 PM

R552, I also think people avoid getting involved because they’re afraid of potential retaliation. CPS workers are notoriously underpaid and overworked. If CPS just does a cursory check and concludes nothing’s wrong, then the neighbor who snitched now has to contend with the wrath of this batshit crazy couple.

It’s not right, but as long as our laws and social welfare systems are so reluctant to remove kids from their horrible parents, this is the way it’s going to continue to be.

by Anonymousreply 554January 20, 2018 1:18 PM

There’s only one other grown man I know of with that haircut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555January 20, 2018 1:59 PM

What about Emo Phillips?

by Anonymousreply 556January 20, 2018 2:02 PM

[quote]I also think people avoid getting involved because they’re afraid of potential retaliation. CPS workers are notoriously underpaid and overworked. If CPS just does a cursory check and concludes nothing’s wrong, then the neighbor who snitched now has to contend with the wrath of this batshit crazy couple

Yes, this is probably the main reason.

by Anonymousreply 557January 20, 2018 2:05 PM

I will play the father in the American Crime Story dramatization.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558January 20, 2018 2:06 PM

No doubt Mike Clifford and other past and current neighbors would call the cops in a minute were a Black man to walk down their street, but alert authorities to suspicions of child abuse in the neighborhood? "Nah." You just know the neighbors were gossiping among themselves, but all lacked the basic humanity to place an anonymous phone call.

I hope the police are digging up the grounds of the house and all former residences these people occupied; heaven knows what has been buried over the years.

How many more children are suffering under similar circumstances, and are their so-called parents/guardians now doubling their efforts to avoid detention as the result of this discovery?

"I know there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell," (except for these depraved types and their enablers). I will not be saying my prayers tonight.

by Anonymousreply 559January 20, 2018 5:15 PM

"David would flirt and make comments about her body in front of Louise, who didn't seem to mind."

Doesn't sound like a guy who was completely controlled by his wife and "just along for the ride." They are both guilty as sin.

by Anonymousreply 560January 20, 2018 5:32 PM

when the police arrived, she didn't understand why she was being arrested

by Anonymousreply 561January 20, 2018 5:36 PM

Yes she did, R561, which is why she ran around unchaining as many of the kids as she could before the cops gained access.

by Anonymousreply 562January 20, 2018 5:41 PM

This is totally off topic but someone mentioned they had the Rock Hudson movie "Embryo" and I want to thank you, the DL for that. I watched that movie when I was a kid and loved it but couldn't remember what it was called or who was in it, just that it was a one word title, I seriously think about it once a week and wrack my brain, and now, I know! Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 563January 20, 2018 5:53 PM

r563 then this Whole thread was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 564January 20, 2018 5:59 PM

David Turpin’s father, James, the grandfather to the children, said from his home in Princeton, West Virginia, that he did not believe the reports about the abuse.

“I’m going to talk with the children, find out the real story on this as soon as I can get a call through to them,” James Turpin told The Associated Press.

[I don't think they should let any of these relatives talk to them. Do they have to let them talk to them?]

by Anonymousreply 565January 20, 2018 6:43 PM

well, we see where the crazy comes from

by Anonymousreply 566January 20, 2018 6:49 PM

Maybe they can spin this into an episode of Hoarders.

by Anonymousreply 567January 20, 2018 6:51 PM

[quote]Collusional participation of one parent with the other in the abuse and neglect of a child represent a manifestation of shared irrationality known by its French psychiatric name, folie Ă  deux. One person of the pair has a fixed irrational belief or a delusion which is assimilated by the partner'.

Watch the movie "Bug".

by Anonymousreply 568January 20, 2018 6:55 PM

R565 - I don't think they are going to let that man near them. When is the last time that guy has even seen those kids? How much interaction did he have with them while living in West Virginia - my bet is slim to none.

by Anonymousreply 569January 20, 2018 7:35 PM

Well, I hope they don't.

by Anonymousreply 570January 20, 2018 7:47 PM

The parents are awful people, yet I still want the Today Show to give them a makeover. It could really help with their self esteem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571January 20, 2018 7:48 PM

That whole fucking family on both sides is utterly dysfunctional. There were a million red flags and even now with the abuse exposed their grandfather still denies it. Fuck him. And fuck the neighbour who saw the kids marching for hours on end and thought it was weird but still told no one. If he was that frightened of retribution, which I doubt, make an anonymous call. He has some nerve bragging about what he saw like some kind of hero for media attention, but never actually having done anything about it

by Anonymousreply 572January 20, 2018 8:02 PM

Good luck with that, r571. Those roots run deep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573January 20, 2018 8:10 PM

And if he did cave in, we'd just end up with this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574January 20, 2018 8:12 PM

It will be interesting to find out if those DVD boxes actually hold the DVDs of said movies or DVDs of something else. I don't believe for one minute they weren't sexually abusing those children.

by Anonymousreply 575January 20, 2018 8:36 PM

David Turpin, 56, and his wife, Louise Turpin, 49, appeared in court this week charged with dozens of counts of torture and abuse which could leave them behind bars for the rest of their lives. The father was also charged with sexually abusing one of his daughters. Wearing dark suits, shackled with a chain around their waists and another around their ankles, both seemed dazed.

“Are they certifiably nuts?” a reporter shouted at a press conference earlier on Thursday. “I can’t answer that question,” replied the Riverside county district attorney, Michael Hestrin.

by Anonymousreply 576January 20, 2018 8:49 PM

Susan Curtiss, a University of California, Los Angeles, linguistics professor who worked closely with other abused children, said the Turpins needed unconditional love and support and to be kept together.

“They are emerging from their own horrible world to a world they know nothing about. One thing they do know is each other. That’s the only constant other than their own parents.”

Curtiss recommended a small team of carers. “The same one or two people should be there all day every day, touching them softly, a loving, gentle presence ... to lead them into society.”

The professor feared authorities would bungle treatment, as happened with Genie in an infamous case from the 1970s when squabbling scientists and carers undermined the child’s treatment and recovery.

Curtiss, who befriended Genie, feared a repeat of poorly designed tests, inadequate foster homes and bureaucratic in-fighting. “I have no confidence in any of the governmental systems. There probably will be a tug of war because this is the kind of situation that can make people famous. Many people want to be well known and publish papers ... that’s what they’re after.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577January 20, 2018 8:49 PM

They should be kep together, especially if there’s any chance some of the younger kids are the children of the older girls although so far no one has said anything like that. However who will take in 13 people most with special needs, that’s a huge ask. They sure as shit shouldn’t go to any relative.

by Anonymousreply 578January 20, 2018 9:01 PM

Louise Turpin sounds like a character in a John Waters movie.

by Anonymousreply 579January 20, 2018 9:05 PM

It takes less than five minutes to make an anonymous call to CPS. I know, I've done it several times here in California. No fear of retaliation. LCSW's did visits, but nothing more came of it. My suspicions were unfounded.

by Anonymousreply 580January 20, 2018 9:18 PM

Grandfather of 13 siblings rescued in Perris: “I don’t believe it”

“I don’t believe it to be true,” James Turpin, 84, said when told that the Riverside district attorney accuses his son and daughter-in-law of beating and torturing his 13 grandchildren.

He scoffed when told the DA says the siblings, ages 2 to 29, were allowed to shower only once a year.

“I can’t believe that,” Turpin, of Princeton, W.Va., told the Southern California News Group in a brief Thursday afternoon phone interview. “That’s ridiculous to me. I don’t know what’s going on over there. They were clean and everything. There was no suspicion of anything wrong.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581January 20, 2018 10:05 PM

How does he know they were 'clean' if he hasn't seen or talked to them in years?

by Anonymousreply 582January 20, 2018 10:53 PM

He's a stupid old man defending his son

by Anonymousreply 583January 20, 2018 10:57 PM

I thought they taught at Princeton University!

by Anonymousreply 584January 20, 2018 11:04 PM

I wonder if the mother has some sort of brain damage; she seems to smile through out the court proceedings, as if she was there because she won the lottery or something.

As for what people saw, depending on the area, people tend to mind their own business. Yes, if you saw a kid eating out of a trash can, you'd certainly think one could call the cops, but I once called the cops on a neighbor who was beating up his girlfriend, only to have said neighbor appear back by the end of the weekend, happily banging way his girlfriend again. Luckily, he never seemed to hold it against me, but I was sorry I did it afterwards and the next time he smacked her around, I just turned up my TV to drown it out.

You'd like to think you'd stick up for a kid no matter what, but after my brief experience with my neighbors and how the cops deal with domestic violence (It's like something out of Cops) and domestic issues in general, I understand the resistance to getting involved.

by Anonymousreply 585January 20, 2018 11:22 PM

It's an unusual situation in that several of the children are grown-ups. If any of the older ones are capable of being grown-up in terms of being responsible then they can be the guardians of the younger ones. It really depends a lot on how long the deprivation has been and how deep the damage.

The kids who seem to have done the best after torture and captivity had somewhere to return--Elizabeth Smart had an intact, well-off family who could look after her and didn't need to cash in on her. Jaycee Dugard's mother sounds like she's been pretty solid and mothered her 29-year-old daughter and teen-age grandchildren while they learned things like driving and shopping.

Who's going to be there for these kids?

by Anonymousreply 586January 20, 2018 11:23 PM

I've followed this sad story since the beginning on DL. I hope what happens next is the 13 young victims can recover in anonymity. No more photos, no makeovers. Let them recover privately. But for the bio-parents, no peace.

by Anonymousreply 587January 20, 2018 11:26 PM

No one. I think the relatives they have have problems . It is too huge for ordinary people.

I wish there was something, someone.

by Anonymousreply 588January 20, 2018 11:26 PM

r574, I literally laughed out loud.

by Anonymousreply 589January 20, 2018 11:53 PM

I kind of hope they will make an exception and provide sufficient help to the adults and the younger ones....

"A spokesperson for Riverside County Social Services told ABC News the agency tends to favor sibling adoption—keeping kids together. And, for now, Child Services seems to be focused on emergency medical care and determining just how able the adults are to look out for themselves. How do you expect they ultimately fit into local systems of care?

Daro: Child welfare involvement ends at 18. They do keep children that are already in the system until they’re 21, but child welfare doesn’t take on new adult cases into the system. So these kids are going to be following two tracks [the minors and the adults].'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590January 21, 2018 12:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591January 21, 2018 1:01 AM

Yes, this is a unique case. It's not like they're really "adults" after years of imprisonment and starvation.

by Anonymousreply 592January 21, 2018 1:03 AM

They are sadistic and insane:

'One Christmas they bought eight new children’s bicycles that sat outside, unused, until they became sun bleached."

this is sad:

The children rarely emerged. Soon after the family arrived, one of the older girls tried to run away but was returned by a local resident.

by Anonymousreply 593January 21, 2018 1:15 AM

they have a foster home that ALL of them are going to in a few days. they said if the adult children have a problem with the state there are a few things they can do to get them help.

by Anonymousreply 594January 21, 2018 1:20 AM

I hope they all get the help they need. Saying that, there are tons of older teens and younger adults that have been abused their whole lives who get no help at all. Maybe a case like this one will end up helping others in the end.

by Anonymousreply 595January 21, 2018 2:10 AM

We should probably start a new thread on this.

by Anonymousreply 596January 21, 2018 2:26 AM

[quote]I hope they all get the help they need.

No amount of help can fix the damage that has been done to them unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 597January 21, 2018 2:28 AM

R594 Glad to read this.

by Anonymousreply 598January 21, 2018 2:39 AM

Kate McKinnon looks like a freak in that makeup.

by Anonymousreply 599January 21, 2018 4:25 AM

R572, I agree completely - im so angry at these clueless/denial/complicit grandparents and families trying to defend these POS. And there is just no way neighbors didn’t notice anything.. enough to compel them to say something in the moment. No way.

by Anonymousreply 600January 21, 2018 6:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!