Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marilyn Monroe was a junkie whore

To me, she's a Kim Kardashian of yesteryear. Yet she's worshipped in the modern world as this tragic goddess. Why? Have people forgotten the drug addiction, affairs with married men, abortions, plastic surgery, etc. She wasn't even a good actress

by Anonymousreply 163January 27, 2018 9:30 PM

I have to agree

by Anonymousreply 1January 15, 2018 3:19 AM

Blah blah blah troll post blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 2January 15, 2018 3:19 AM

and

by Anonymousreply 3January 15, 2018 3:21 AM

We like her because she was mysterious and pretty. No one remembers her acting.

by Anonymousreply 4January 15, 2018 3:22 AM

R2 A troll post full of indisputable facts. Why has the epitome of poor, white trash been deified?

I'd also like to add that she dropped out of school when was 15.

by Anonymousreply 5January 15, 2018 3:22 AM

Oh bullshit... Watch "Some Like It Hot". Not that you deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 6January 15, 2018 3:22 AM

She was the best classy whore Hollywood ever had.

by Anonymousreply 7January 15, 2018 3:22 AM

R4 She's not even really interesting once you've heard her entire story once or twice. Her pretty was artificial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 15, 2018 3:24 AM

And a frequent companion of known meth junkies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 15, 2018 3:36 AM

I feel the same thing about Elvis Presley.

by Anonymousreply 10January 15, 2018 3:47 AM

She was sooooo fucked up. She was like a walking wound.

by Anonymousreply 11January 15, 2018 3:48 AM

Seriously? Marilyn was an excellent actress and a sharp woman who had a lot of demons... some not her fault. I agree she was a troubled woman but a Kardashian she was not. Kim Kardashian and her ilk are morons, Google quotes by Marilyn and read about her life and you'll find out she was anything but the dumb blonde she portrayed on film... that's what made her such a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 12January 15, 2018 3:52 AM

"I'd also like to add that she dropped out of school when was 15."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 15, 2018 3:53 AM

There is an excellent documentary that featured Marilyn's journal entries read by actresses. It aired on HBO. She was troubled, but I don't think you'll feel she was a junkie whore after you watch it. Also, her childhood was no picnic.

by Anonymousreply 14January 15, 2018 3:53 AM

[quote]Guess what this means

It means "beat up gay men." And just for that, R13, this is for you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 15, 2018 3:55 AM

The very fact that she kept a journal puts her above most actresses in Hollywood, even most people in general.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2018 3:56 AM

Marilyn made the most out of the cards she was dealt--a mentally unstable mother who couldn't take care of her, chucked from one foster home to another, repeatedly raped at the age of 9, etc. She did what she had to do to survive and earn a living. She too also mentally unstable and she did what a lot of mentally unstable do--self-medicate to make the crazy thoughts go away.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2018 3:57 AM

Her genius was her creation of the Monroe character. Her last make-up artist said that her metamorphosis into "Marilyn" gave him goosebumps and that it was an incredible display of charisma and sexuality "beyond belief". Is there anyone with that magic today? (Let me answer for you..."No") Her screen magic leaves other better actresses in the dust. Yes, she was a "walking wound" because of her damaged childhood but someone who knew her said "no one fought their demons harder than Marilyn" and her last PR woman said "You expect weakness and you find strength"

by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2018 3:57 AM

[quote]She too also mentally unstable

She too was mentally unstable...

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2018 3:59 AM

R12 Lol Marilyn Monroe is an intelligent women with demons but how many times have I heard Whitney Houston get called a ghetto crackhead on this site? Half of those quotes aren't even real. Her acting was shoddy at best. Take your hypocrisy and shove it up your ass

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2018 4:02 AM

I don't care how you try to spin it. She was a drug addict. She had affairs with married men. Her career is far from accomplished. She had an insane amount of abortions. Her beauty was fake. There's no proof she was anything more than a bimbo

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2018 4:10 AM

Trollin' trollin' trollin'

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2018 4:11 AM

R22 Would I be a troll if I named someone else?

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2018 4:14 AM

As for charisma, the moment she becomes "Marilyn" is like a bright light was switched on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2018 4:17 AM

R21, why do you continue to defame MM with your fantastic lies?

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2018 4:22 AM

All actresses are whores.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2018 4:26 AM

R25 Where are the lies?

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2018 4:28 AM

She was a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2018 4:29 AM

She seemed harmless and a good person even if she was self destructing.

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2018 4:30 AM

She was a great actress. Watch "Bus Stop."

by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2018 4:31 AM

R29 She was not a good person

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2018 4:37 AM

Her body of work speaks for itself

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2018 4:40 AM

alot of beautys sleep their way to the top, but theyr not rememberd as an icon of fragile and touching georgousness.

she is cause she had IT, and by god she will alwys be on top of the cake: she was MARILYN MONROE.

she paid her dues and she had the stigmata to prove it.

i lived across from Hollygrove Orphanage for a year, the one she grew up in in hwood....was an honor to see her ghost dancing and playing in tha plush green grass in front of it.....her dreaming of being....loved.

YOU AND HEFFNER RING A DING DING ON UR CLOUDS IN THAT CEMETARY MY LOVE.

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2018 4:57 AM

Aren't YOU the feisty one, OP. Not taking the bait. Sorry. How old are you? Were you even around when she was?

by Anonymousreply 34January 15, 2018 7:41 AM

Oh, them cans!

Hubba hubba!

by Anonymousreply 35January 15, 2018 7:55 AM

R16 and Suzanne Somers published a book of poetry, what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 36January 15, 2018 8:00 AM

You people are actually defending her, sad. I hope you weren't the same ones calling Whitney Houston a horrible person in another thread. Funny who the public decides to put on a pedestal

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2018 8:24 AM

Nah, she was lovely and witty and charming and sensitive. Talented but undisciplined. She can't hear you if you call her a whore, but there is no reason for it but to speak ugliness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2018 8:36 AM

Some straight men like to believe she was the ideal woman, or "child-woman:", fun and innocent and easily impressed and an easy lay, and those men are all fools.

The "child-woman" thing was an act, and the real Marilyn was actually a mentally ill, substance-abusing nightmare to any man who actually got involved with her.

by Anonymousreply 39January 15, 2018 2:28 PM

All these things are true.

She was such a pleasure to look at. The only bad photo I’ve ever seen was her postmortem.

by Anonymousreply 40January 15, 2018 2:50 PM

MM in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" is iconic. And it's a all-around great movies with some delicious camp ("Anybody Here for Love?).

by Anonymousreply 41January 15, 2018 3:09 PM

Until I saw her (and Garbo) on-screen I never understood what the big deal was about...then I did and I got it...they both were absolutely luminous on-screen.

by Anonymousreply 42January 15, 2018 3:50 PM

She had endless charisma and a genuine smile. What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 43January 15, 2018 3:52 PM

R37 the public will always put white women on a pedestal no matter how undeserving they are. That's the type of society we are. And cut everyone else down.

by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2018 3:52 PM

She was a lot of things, much like you, OP. Ever hear of the expression 'takes one to know one'? Probably not. How about this one: you see in the world what you believe it to be. I'm glad I don't live in your world, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2018 3:57 PM

I think she was very naturally beautiful. Look at some of her early modeling shots. I think her enduring popularity is her vulnerability. She was a bombshell and women should have hated her, but she had a sweetness that appealed to women and made both men and women want to protect her.

I remember someone saying she could walk down the street unnoticed until she "turned on" the Marilyn and then all eyes were on her.

Are there some bitter LSA'ers hanging around today? Didn't we just have a thread about beautiful black women?

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2018 4:09 PM

So naturally ugly. **rolling my eyes**

This is not ugly folks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2018 4:12 PM

R46, considering her early life and the way she was consistently treated, I give her a huge pass on OP's callous judgment of her.

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2018 4:13 PM

Read what Capote wrote about her in his essay A Beautiful Child she was hardly a "junky whore" and are you really judging her for having had abortions she had dumb ass OP. Just fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 49January 15, 2018 4:13 PM

Yes, OP, forgets that abortions are not unusual and lots of starlets were put on a regime of pills. Judy Garland was raised on uppers and downers to control her weight.

by Anonymousreply 50January 15, 2018 4:18 PM

OP is just another bitter Datalounge misogynist. Yawn!

Marilyn Monroe was a mixture of good and bad, like many people. She WAS definitely damaged from years of going through multiple foster homes, being sexually abused, being used.

She wasn't proud of sleeping with married men - but he didn't make the wedding vows, the men did.

Ultimately she was kind. She once saw some boys in Central Park catching pigeons to sell in a market. She paid them money to set them free. They took the cash and let them fly away.

When have you ever done anything like that? (Probably never.)

by Anonymousreply 51January 15, 2018 4:26 PM

No one can say she was "not a good person" as everyone who met her said she was sweet and damaged.

by Anonymousreply 52January 15, 2018 4:28 PM

Damn you Datalounge for having no edit function!

She*

by Anonymousreply 53January 15, 2018 4:30 PM

Now Dorothy Dandridge had it hard. She was a beautiful woman but she had so many things working against her. Marilyns life was a cake walk compared to dorothys life during Jim Crow America!

by Anonymousreply 54January 15, 2018 4:33 PM

While harsh, there is some truth to the OP's rant. She was never a "junkie" but she was addicted to pills. She was indeed a limited actress. She would fuck damn near anybody, married or not, and carried on a blatant affair with Yves Montand right under the noses of their spouses Arthur Miller and Simone Signoret. She was a terror to work with; she would show up for work hours late, if at all, and when she did show up she couldn't even remember lines like "It's me, Sugar" and would have her universally disliked acting coach (Natasha Lytess or Paula Strasberg) at her side at all times. Her greatest gift was that she was extremely photogenic and looked stunning onscreen and in photos (the same was true of Louise Brooks). Marilyn Monroe seemingly had it all; became one of the biggest movie stars of her era, she was gorgeous and all men wanted her, she had money and fame and adulation. And yet she was supremely unhappy and never had a good relationship with a man in her life. It's that that made her a legend and appealing to a lot of women; the poor darling, so beautiful, a movie star, and yet she's so unhappy she has to blot out the reality of her life with endless sleeping pills! That is the secret to the worship of Marilyn Monroe: the beautiful loser syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 55January 15, 2018 4:44 PM

Some gay men can identify with that based on wanting to be loved and wanting to be taken seriously in any chosen profession.

by Anonymousreply 56January 15, 2018 4:50 PM

R55 Marilyn never really had much money. She was always under paid by the studio.

by Anonymousreply 57January 15, 2018 5:00 PM

They undercut everything to pay for [italic]Cleopatra[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 58January 15, 2018 5:06 PM

Seeing as she was always hours late and unprepared, R57, and singlelandedly ran every production of her later career over budget and over schedule, I wouldn't say she deserved top dollar.

I can enjoy watching her onscreen, but damn, if I'd worked with her I'd have wanted to kill her within a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 59January 15, 2018 5:09 PM

Calm down, Mamie van Doren!

by Anonymousreply 60January 15, 2018 5:42 PM

What's the matter with being a junkie whore?

by Anonymousreply 61January 15, 2018 6:07 PM

Those who don't care for her will say what they do but she is probably the MOST RECOGNIZED MOVIE STAR worldwide of all time. She was an excellent comedienne, and when you see her on film, she is luminous and all attention zeroes in on Marilyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 15, 2018 6:52 PM

OP is just jealous because straight and gay men adored her. OP? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 63January 15, 2018 6:55 PM

R54

Marilyn is not the one to compare life's harsh realities to. For one thing she was one of the few celebrities in the 1950s who openly championed African Americans. Since some of the foster homes in which she was placed bordered along African American neighborhoods Marilyn grew up around black children. Maybe that's where her concern for all people began. As an adult Zanuck gave her hell for associating with and befriending Sammy Davis Jr.; Ella Fitzgerald told a story about how she was denied a night club gig that she really wanted because the owner told Fitzgerald's manager that the club' policy forbid it. Marilyn who knew Ella went to the club's owner; Marilyn told the owner that if he gave Ella the job she (MM) would attend Ella's show every night which he knew would attract attention & bring patrons. He agreed, Marilyn showed up every night & Ella was grateful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 16, 2018 12:03 AM

I thought she also had something to do with Marian Anderson singing somewhere but I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 65January 16, 2018 12:18 AM

Boy, she had a really harsh look towards the end of her life, didn't she? White hair, white eyeshadow, heavy black eyeliner. I didn't think it was becoming.

by Anonymousreply 66January 16, 2018 12:59 AM

Those styles are so dated. When you see an image of her from 1962, she looks 10 years older than she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 16, 2018 1:56 AM

"I hope you weren't the same ones calling Whitney Houston a horrible person in another thread. Funny who the public decides to put on a pedestal"

And the winner of The Sad Irony Award goes to...

by Anonymousreply 68January 16, 2018 2:04 AM

Jackie Kennedy looked 10 years older than she was in 1961 too. Natalie Wood, Kim Novak, Liz Taylor, Jane Fonda, Sophia Loren. They all did. Only Audrey Hepburn never succumbed to inappropriate trends in fashion, makeup and hairstyles. By the late sixties all these same women were lovely again. Monroe was dead and a drunk. She didn't have to be beautiful again. She is beautiful forever.

by Anonymousreply 69January 16, 2018 2:08 AM

It's probably a mercy that she died when she did. What would have happened to her if she'd lived? She was long in the tooth for a sex symbol in those days. She'd been fired from her last movie, due to her inability to remember lines or show up for work. There was lots of talk about new projects she was supposed to be involved in but I doubt any of them would have come to fruition because SHE COULD'NT WORK. It was that simple: she couldn't work. Her career was pretty much finished. I think without her Hollywood career, which is really all she had, she would have killed herself. I think that was her destiny, to die young, either on purpose or accidentally.

by Anonymousreply 70January 16, 2018 3:05 AM

I know it doesn't need to be said, but Kim Kardashian doesn't have a legacy to leave behind…

by Anonymousreply 71January 16, 2018 3:54 AM

R69

Yeah, right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 16, 2018 3:54 AM

There's a fine line between being charming and (being) irritating ...............

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 16, 2018 4:02 AM

It's possible that she could have lived a long or comparatively long life if she'd survived 1962, but her film career couldn't have lasted much longer. Not only was she aging and basically incapable of doing the job she was being paid to do, but tastes were about to change drastically. In a few years she'd have been seen as an irrelevant has-been like Jayne Mansfield, but Monroe was too unprofessional to make a living doing nightclub acts. Or theater, or anything that required her to show up on time and prepared.

Maybe she'd have been able to find another husband or two to support her, maybe she'd have found a better psychiatrist and returned to acting some time in the 70s or 80s. But in the long run, I think she'd have given up on men and started animal hoarding.

by Anonymousreply 74January 16, 2018 6:26 AM

R70 Marilyn would have probably married some wealthy man. Lived in a huge mansion with a staff of like 12 people. Personal drivers and assistants. Access to billions of dollars. Unlimited shopping. Lots of social events. Vacations, charity benefits and probably even motherhood. She basically would have been a kept woman. A socialite if you will. But we'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 75January 16, 2018 6:30 AM

Remember, the styles at that time really aged them. Hell, if you look through my mom's HS senior yearbook (1961 all the girls looked like 45 year old matrons with bubble or Mamie Eisenhower hair and spit curls. The guys all looked old because of horn rimmed glasses and flat tops.

by Anonymousreply 76January 16, 2018 3:34 PM

Who was it who predicted, when he first met Marilyn, that she was lovely and lively but "it wouldn't end well"?

by Anonymousreply 77January 16, 2018 3:35 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 78January 16, 2018 11:19 PM

"Marilyn would have probably married some wealthy man. Lived in a huge mansion with a staff of like 12 people. Personal drivers and assistants. Access to billions of dollars. Unlimited shopping. Lots of social events. Vacations, charity benefits and probably even motherhood. She basically would have been a kept woman. A socialite if you will. But we'll never know."

"Access to billions of dollars?" You must be fucking kidding. Marilyn Monroe was not materialistic by any stretch of the imagination. She didn't own anything of much value, except a few pieces of jewelry and some fur coats. Being a "kept" woman was not for her. Even before she became a big star she rejected that kind of life. At age 21 or 22 she had a relationship with Johnny Hyde, a powerful William Morris agent. He was tiny, sickly, and had a serious heart condition. He was crazy in love with Marilyn and begged her to marry him, telling her if she did she'd never have to worry about money again. A more greedy, calculating, materialistic woman would have leaped at the change to marry a wealthy man who was dying (like Anna Nicole Smith did) but Monroe didn't. She said she cared for him but didn't love him, and couldn't marry a man she didn't love. When Hyde died, she left to her own devices again and that was her choice. No, even if she'd lived longer than 36 I don't think you'd see Marilyn Monroe in a huge mansion with a staff of 12 and access to billions of dollars. That was Elizabeth Taylor's style, not Marilyn's.

by Anonymousreply 79January 16, 2018 11:59 PM

R79. I agree.

by Anonymousreply 80January 17, 2018 3:48 AM

Marilyn's half sister Berniece is still alive and will turn 99 this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 17, 2018 4:19 AM

Good for you R79. That poster was preposterous and so off the mark. Hard for some to believe but Marilyn didn't care much for money. Why would she break her studio contract go live and study acting in New York at the peak of her fame in 1955? Why was the only house she ever owned so modest - the most disappointing movie star home you'll ever see. Most of use grew up in as nice a home. She had every chance to fuck or marry for money. It's insulting to her memory to attribute any of her life motives to greed. She longed for dignity and loved books and drank too much and liked important men. She believed in her talent when #MeToo was her only agency. She fucked for business, fun and pleasure too by all accounts. Never for money. When Elizabeth Taylor was bankrupting Fox with her million dollar salary and outrageous whims on Cleopatra, their larger box office star Marilyn, was being paid $100,000 for her last film. She never made much money. There is her famous response to a question....the quote is on tape somewhere...she was someone special.

[quote] I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 17, 2018 4:38 AM

R82 I don't blame Elizabeth Taylor. Hollywood made more money off of her then she made from Hollywood. Why not take advantage of the system that's taking advantage of you? If you're a huge movie star and you ask for something and the studio has it to give. And they give it to you. Then take it. I know I would. You have to take full advantage while you can. Because when Hollywood is done with you there done! So you better get and scheme while the getting is good. And make sure you're family is set for life. I know I would. And by the way, I'm poster R75. If things got bad enough for Marilyn had she lived. She probably would have gone the wife of a rich man way. If not for anything else. Just for the security marrying wealth would provide her. Elizabeth Taylor was a very smart and business savvy woman. Her lifestyle is my kind of living. At least she earned her wealth.

by Anonymousreply 83January 17, 2018 6:11 AM

R68 It's not ironic to call out blatant hypocrisy. Hate them both for their transgressions or hate neither for their transgressions. It's simple

by Anonymousreply 84January 17, 2018 6:26 AM

Whitney Houston was a real talent and a deeply troubled person. And she kept it 100! Nippy was real. There was nothing Hollywood about her. And that's why we loved her.

by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2018 7:03 AM

Liz Taylor was very blunt, she said that if the studios were dumb enough to offer her that kind of money she was not dumb enough to turn it down! You gotta hand it to the gal, she liked spending money, and somehow managed to stay filthy rich her whole life, apparently without ever doing anything she didn't want to do. Maybe that was her true talent, not acting.

Marilyn was probably as irresponsible about money as she was about showing up for work, how did she spend ten years at the top of the box office and still end up with nothing? I don't believe any of her husbands took her money in a divorce, she didn't spend it on real estate, and she may have been "underpaid" for a big star she got paid enough to become wealthy if she'd managed her money properly. Where did it all go?

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2018 7:10 AM

R86 my point exactly about Elizabeth Taylor. She knew how to take advantage of a system that was taking advantage of her for financial gain. That's what Hollywood is all about. Get as much now while you can. And Elizabeth did it better than anyone else from her generation. I saw in another thread, that she was able to leave all four of her children $100 million dollars apiece from her estate. If that's true she played the celebrity game right. And I a sum the rest went to charity. Probably for aides research or something.

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2018 7:22 AM

So where DID Marilyn's money go?

Did she spend it all on pills and booze?

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2018 8:06 AM

Elizabeth Taylor was the real whore. Everyone knows that. Every man she ever fucked and half the studios she worked for ended up bankrupt. She was smart like a courtesan, and demanded gifts and money and jewels. Tacky, shrewish bitch. She charged for charity appearances. Marilyn was a lovely generous woman, uneducated but much more refined.

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2018 8:34 AM

R81 What an incredible find! Her sister was almost a dead ringer for her and is still a beauty. It's so amazing!!! I would have loved to have seen Marilyn transition to playing character roles in the early 70s. She could have filled some substantial television guest roles or small parts in Hollywood films, or even big Euro roles for the same kind of cool, older lady parts that Honor Blackman and Julie Newmar got to play. If Marilyn did hold onto her looks especially well then she might have even got to play the sweet "Mom" roles into the 1980's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2018 9:18 AM

Elizabeth Taylor was smart. She knew to get paid up front for anything she was involved in. She was all about the money. Security was paramount for her. I don't blame her.

by Anonymousreply 91January 17, 2018 9:33 AM

Elizabeth Taylor is already forgotten and Marilyn, who has been dead for 56 years - is an icon and legend.

by Anonymousreply 92January 17, 2018 9:45 AM

As long as there selling white diamond perfume and TCM exist. Elizabeth Taylor will never be forgotten. And she hasn't been forgotten. In my personal opinion Taylor is and was a much bigger force then Marilyn ever was. There's a natural grandiosity to Elizabeth that Marilyn didn't have. But I like them both. But I think Elizabeth would always win. Hands down.

by Anonymousreply 93January 17, 2018 9:53 AM

In my entire 60 years of life, the only humans who I have ever heard knock Marilyn have been black females.

Jeezus lady, get over the envy you hold for the attention white celebrities get over black ones. I would imagine that in India, Indian women are fancied over Americans. Same for China and Japan. Triple that for Germany and Italy.

Face it, whites are a larger part of the population here than brown people. That's just a fact. And Latin brown people tend to like what white folk like. So it's never going to be 100% "fair" as to the amount of fawning white beautiful women get. Bitching about it just makes you sound like a loser whether you are one or not.

by Anonymousreply 94January 17, 2018 10:01 AM

R94 who said anything about black women? What you said is clearly about something else. I've never seen or heard black women knock MM once ever. Everyone recognizes her as an icon. That was a really strange comment you made. I'm lost on that one.

by Anonymousreply 95January 17, 2018 10:08 AM

"She probably would have gone the wife of a rich man way."

I don't think so. That wasn't her way.

As for where her money went...well, she never did make a lot of money. She was a huge star, but never made a lot of money, although she did do very well with her deal for "Some Like It Hot."

Elizabeth Taylor wasn't "smart." She was SHREWD. She knew how to make demands and toot her own horn. But she definitely wasn't much when it came to intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2018 2:25 PM

Yes, Liz Taylor 100 years before would have been a courtesan. She still was, but a more updated version. Up until the 1900's actresses were considered whores and loose women. I remember some royal, upon seeing that huge ring Burton bought her, commented about how lacking in good taste Taylor was.

by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2018 3:24 PM

""She probably would have gone the wife of a rich man way." "

She wouldn't have deliberately sought out a rich husband, but if a rich man had pursued her she may well have married him. Of course the marriage wouldn't have been happy, as rich men expect their wives to be sane, tractable, fertile, reliable, at least as sober as he is, eager to please rather than being bottomless pits of need, etc. Everything that Monroe was not. At best, she could have formed a relationship with someone who might look out for her after the divorce, make sure she didn't end up in dire poverty or wandering the street yelling at the demons.

Liz Taylor was a very fortunate woman, she knew what she wanted (money, fame, sex, and attention), and she had the means to get what she wanted without really compromising herself. Marilyn had goals such as fame and love, and usually discarded them after she found that they didn't make her happy and at peace. The one thing she really needed, and which could have saved her, was a good therapist. Her luck definitely ran out there.

by Anonymousreply 98January 17, 2018 6:54 PM

Or maybe the female doesn't want to gain enough weight to be fertile, ovulation stops when a woman gets down to a fashionable 5% body fat.

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2018 7:00 PM

R94 Racist much? No one is talking about the attention that Marilyn gets. Marilyn honestly doesn't get much with recent generations of any race. If anything, public perception was brought up and rightfully so.

by Anonymousreply 100January 17, 2018 7:09 PM

R100 Bullshit. Marilyn is as much an icon now as ever.

Whitney was a crack ho.

by Anonymousreply 101January 17, 2018 7:21 PM

R101 She's more relevant than Marilyn Monroe and about as much of a crack ho as Marilyn. Less so, since she didn't fuck her way to the top

by Anonymousreply 102January 17, 2018 7:23 PM

[QUOTE]There's a natural grandiosity to Elizabeth that Marilyn didn't have.

Funniest goddam line I've read on here in days !! The young Elizabeth Taylor was extremely selfish, self absorbed. She wasn't known for any generosity until she was in her 30s. She was a user. She drained men. Even once she was the top star going she could on occasion be very selfish. Don't kid yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 17, 2018 8:46 PM

"She's more relevant than Marilyn Monroe and about as much of a crack ho as Marilyn. Less so, since she didn't fuck her way to the top."

You are obviously insane. Probably a crack ho, too.

by Anonymousreply 104January 17, 2018 8:49 PM

But Marilyn wasn't a "crack ho" since crack wasn't around back then. Marilyn was a seconal gal. You sound absolutely unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 105January 17, 2018 8:54 PM

R104 and r105 I'm not going to debate with you what drugs Whitney did or did not do. That wasn't the point of responding with crack ho. It doesn't matter if someone abuses barbiturates, the multiple forms of cocaine, heroin, opiates, alcohol, etc. A mind altering substance is a mind altering substance. Marilyn fell apart a much younger age so there's no reason act like she's superior. She was also a whore, Whitney never traded sex for success. Which is why I would never call her a junkie whore or crack ho, she wasn't a prostitute.

You probably hate milinials and don't have any idea where their interest lie. I'm 21, I know what my peers like. White girls still listen to how will I know and I wanna dance with somebody like it came out yesterday. They've probably become more popular than any Madonna's 80s hit in recent years, I've even heard it played at parties. No one is watching old Monroe films. Music is a more timeless medium than film. Monroe's image is famous still and I will admit that my little cousin wanted a shirt with her face. But Whitney shirts and hoodies are becoming very popular too I've seen them sold at forever 21, topshop, H&M, etc. Celebrities have worn them too. I don't think there's anything demented about saying that Whitney has the same or more cultural relevancy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 17, 2018 11:15 PM

Actually, for the clothing stars I named : Whitney's stuff is twice as much as Marilyn's or Marilyn isn't being sold at all. I really do believe she is losing her relevancy a bit with younger generations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 17, 2018 11:21 PM

R106 and R107 I hope whitneys estate is the one making money off of that clothing merchandise and the profits are going to her family.

by Anonymousreply 108January 18, 2018 4:57 AM

R103 I said grandiosity. Meaning Elizabeth Taylor was a grand larger than life personality. Not generous. Even though she was a very generous person too.

by Anonymousreply 109January 18, 2018 5:00 AM

R108 I actually hope the opposite. Her brothers got her on drugs and Cissy is kind of a mean cunt. Her daughter was the only one that really deserved the money and now she's dead

by Anonymousreply 110January 18, 2018 5:03 AM

R110 it really dosent matter what you think of cissy houston. Whitney would want her beloved mother well taken care of. And by the looks of how cissy lives. I looks like she's well taken care of on the money end. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 111January 18, 2018 5:13 AM

Whitney's family did nothing but work her to death, ignore her problems, draw her away from the only person who truly loved her, her momma Cissy always taking Whitney's glory for her own, her brothers and sister in law making tens of millions from her in life and now they all pick her bones clean since her death, while they slander her name. LIARS. They are despicable low life. Pray to Jesus all day long fucking hypocrites. Whitney loved Jesus too, god help her. He didn't.

by Anonymousreply 112January 18, 2018 5:21 AM

R111 Nothing wrong with her mother being taken care of but she's in her 80s, she'll be dead soon enough. Then it goes to her brothers. That's kind of fucked up, wouldn't you say? I'm sure her estate is getting something. Don't most celebs have a copywrite on their likeness?

by Anonymousreply 113January 18, 2018 5:22 AM

R122 we could easily say the same thing about Britney spears family too. They have her out in las Vegas doing a resdiencey she's clearly not well enough to be doing. And she has a bunch of greedy music and hospitality executives in the Vegas hotel business depending on her to get people to come to plant Hollywood to come see her. But also so they can stay at the hotel gamble and spend money in their establishment. And it's all on Britneys shoulders. Plus she just signed another new deal to keep doing her Vegas show for how ever long they want her. She's benefiting too. She made $100 million dollars from her old deal. So it's not all bad but still. I really do think she's being pushed to do those shows probably more so then she wants. Only because theirs more people benefiting more than she is. There's greedy assholes around all celebrities. And celebrities are nothing but ATMS,to those people. It wasn't just Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 114January 18, 2018 5:49 AM

I meant R 112.

by Anonymousreply 115January 18, 2018 5:50 AM

R109

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 18, 2018 5:54 AM

Whitney will not be remembered in 20 years.

Marilyn, like Greta Garbo is today, will always be remembered as a legend.

by Anonymousreply 117January 18, 2018 11:46 AM

R117 if you say so. But I'm pretty sure no one is going to remember you either. So you'll be in great company with so many others.

by Anonymousreply 118January 18, 2018 4:57 PM

[quote]Oh bullshit... Watch "Some Like It Hot". Not that you deserve it.

OP doesn't even deserve [italic]There's No Business Like Show Business[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 119January 18, 2018 4:59 PM

R117 is a delusional 80 year old man. No one fucking knows who Greta Garbo is

by Anonymousreply 120January 18, 2018 10:24 PM

Actually R117 is a 55 year old woman,

Only someone of low culture would imply that Greta Garbo or Marlene Dietrich are anything less than timeless icons of the screen.

by Anonymousreply 121January 18, 2018 10:29 PM

R121 Than I guess everyone under 55 is of low culture. No one talks about these two people. They are forgotten relics of the past. I know what future generations will pay attention to you old hag. It's not them and Whitney will not be forgotten

by Anonymousreply 122January 18, 2018 10:48 PM

Fine LaVontrice. Whatever you say.

by Anonymousreply 123January 18, 2018 10:49 PM

R123 How can you get to that age and still be so immature.

by Anonymousreply 124January 18, 2018 10:51 PM

Immature AND racist.

by Anonymousreply 125January 18, 2018 10:54 PM

Your OTT invectives are adorable,

by Anonymousreply 126January 18, 2018 10:58 PM

Whitney Houston has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with Marilyn Monroe. Who's the deranged freak who brought crackhead Whitney into this thread?

by Anonymousreply 127January 19, 2018 12:00 AM

R127 Marilyn has absolutely nothing to do with Whitney. Who is the deranged freak who thinks that junkie whore is superior?

by Anonymousreply 128January 19, 2018 12:03 AM

" Than I guess everyone under 55 is of low culture. No one talks about these two people. They are forgotten relics of the past. I know what future generations will pay attention to you old hag. It's not them and Whitney will not be forgotten."

Marlene Dietrich and Greta Garbo are not "forgotten." They're timeless movie icons. You don't know "what future generations with pay attention do", you demented mental defective. I think your brain has been fried to a crisp due to all that crack you do, in homage to your idol, the crack whore Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 129January 19, 2018 12:03 AM

R128 is the deranged freak who dragged the crack whore Whitney Houston into a thread about Marilyn Monroe. Start another thread about your crackhead idol, you insane cunt.

by Anonymousreply 130January 19, 2018 12:06 AM

R130 Youre the one that sounds insane r130 and r129.

by Anonymousreply 131January 19, 2018 12:39 AM

IMO the word 'junkie' insinuates intravenous drug use. MARiLYN never shot up drugs. She was addicted to & abused sleeping pills.

When asked about whether she'd ever 'shoot up', Miss Monroe replied, "ew no, that's just too oooky"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 19, 2018 2:49 PM

Gawd Monroe's many chins in 132's gif . . .

RE 69: "Only Audrey Hepburn never succumbed to inappropriate trends in fashion, makeup and hairstyles." Clothing wise, Hepburn was doing ok in the early 60s thanks to Givenchy. But makeup and hair? Hepburn was a woman with big nostrils, thin lips, wide jaws and smoker's skin. She needed the "Sabrina face" with painted on power brows and full lips to look pretty. The 60s do with the thin brows, thin lips and long side fringes made Hepburn's face look hardened and almost wrinkled.

looks went downhill the moment she stopped wearing the "Sabrina" face paint with exaggerated huge brows and fake full lips. The 60s makeup, especially from Steal a Million and onwards, emphasized her flaws instead of hiding them.

The beehive hair she wore in Tiffany's made her looked like some late 30s pampered wife instead of a single girl of 20. In how to steal

by Anonymousreply 133January 23, 2018 12:12 AM

Marilyn abused prescription drugs and was also alcoholic. This killed off her functionality as an actress. Constant retakes plus habitual lateness plus acting coaches overriding directors can are all career killers, and they killed hers after her films started flopping. Sure she was rehired after the Kennedy press and Life Mag, but that wasn't because Monroe was suddenly back in top form. Rather, the financial stress from Cleopatra drove Fox into taking yet another chance with the unreliable asset that was Marilyn in 1962. She was dead behind the eyes (as Dean Martin noted) in much of the surviving footage of SGTG. The outer corners of her eyes and lips were unnaturally lifted as though she had even more work done. And her white hair looked fried even after hairstyling. At 36 Marilyn clearly needed time away from the screen and that was what she got, albeit in the most tragic way.

by Anonymousreply 134January 23, 2018 1:01 AM

OP/R131 , for you to call Marilyn Monroe a "junkie whore" is certifiable proof of your mental derangement. You are an insane cunt. And it is SO obvious.

by Anonymousreply 135January 23, 2018 1:19 AM

I second R135. OP is a cunt who is jealous of the attention and love MM got in her time. She is a major Whitney stan and thinks WH was Marilyn's equal.

by Anonymousreply 136January 23, 2018 1:44 AM

Marilyn wasn't Whitney's equal either. Whitney had talent. Marilyn was pretty and surgically enhanced.

by Anonymousreply 137January 23, 2018 2:09 AM

R137, go to the head of the special ed class

by Anonymousreply 138January 23, 2018 2:11 AM

Well who was worse with the drugs and alcohol. Crawford or Monroe?

It was probably more of an alcohol problem with these two women then anything else.

But Crawford was functional as an alcoholic. She was professional, knew her lines and a true movie star. So I guess Crawford wins.

by Anonymousreply 139January 23, 2018 2:12 AM

R138 I'm guessing that's where you were. So please go back.

by Anonymousreply 140January 23, 2018 2:14 AM

You are a first class moron, OP!

by Anonymousreply 141January 23, 2018 2:16 AM

There is a documentary about Some Like It Hot on youtube where they interview Curtis, Wilder, Lemmon, the producer, writer etc.

Wilder told the story about Marilyn having to do take after take of the scene where she comes into Josephine and Daphne's hotel room after Shell oil junior dumps her, asking for the bourbon because she's so devastated. Her only line was 'Where's that bourbon?'. Wilder made her do it over and over and over again, even though they could have easily dubbed the line in post production because Marilyn says the line with her back to the camera opening up a drawer to get the flask.

Lemmon said she was afraid and very insecure, Curtis said he had to be right in ever take because they would print once Marilyn got hers right. Wilder, even though it was clear that working with her was a big challenge, had some humor about it and said he would work again with her if he had the chance.

The role of Daphne originally was offered to Frank Sinatra (terrible choice!) but once they got MM to do the movie they thought they had enough star power and that's why they chose Lemmon, who wasn't a star at that time. Lemmon said the script was a winner, which is true. The writers did an amazing job keeping the pacing and story afloat. I wish today's filmmakers had such a good knack for pacing. Great movie! Some Like It Hot!

If I find the docu on youtube I'll post the link later.

by Anonymousreply 142January 23, 2018 3:06 AM

Lemon was the one who drew the most laughs in Some Like it Hot.

by Anonymousreply 143January 23, 2018 3:18 AM

[QUOTE]The role of Daphne originally was offered to Frank Sinatra (terrible choice!) but once they got MM to do the movie they thought they had enough star power and that's why they chose Lemmon, who wasn't a star at that time.

You do realize that Jack Lemmon was already an Academy Award winner by the time he made SOME LIKE IT HOT ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 23, 2018 3:26 AM

Link to the docu about Some Like It Hot

[quote]You do realize that Jack Lemmon was already an Academy Award winner by the time he made SOME LIKE IT HOT ?

That may be, but apparently he wasn't the star who could put butts in seats. In any case, you can also watch the video and hear what the producers had to say about Lemmon's casting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145January 23, 2018 3:41 AM

The difference between Whitney and Marilyn is that people saw Whitney's downfall for almost a decade with her idiotic trashy behavior which was on full display, as the crack dumpster she became.

There is very little footage of Marilyn being out of it while she was alive. Also she never was a christian hypocrite unlike Whitney who thought she was superior to anybody who didn't go to church. So of course people would sneer at Whitney.

Whitney married Bobby Brown and fucked Kim Kartrashians boy toy

Marilyn married Arthur Miller, Joe DiMaggio and fucked the Kennedys

There is that famous Marilyn Monroe quote “Jane (Russell), who is deeply religious, tried to convert me to her religion and I tried to introduce her to Freud,”

Of course both Whitney and Marilyn were both talented women and icons of their times.

by Anonymousreply 146January 23, 2018 4:05 AM

Whitney was just as surgically enhanced as Marilyn, but Marilyn never became unattractive even near the end. The only photo I have ever seen of her which is not beautiful was her autopsy photo(as someone has already pointed out.)

Whitney behaved like a drug addict and crass low born ghetto trash during her marriage.

Anyone remember doodoo bubbles? She fell so out off favor that when she and Bobby went to Ruth's Chris for lunch, and she sat down at the piano and began to sing, the maître d asked her to "please return to her seat."

Can you imagine how trashy she had to be for a glorified waiter to ask her NOT to sing for free at his restaurant? In ATLANTA?

By that time she had lost her "good" reputation completely. That never happened to Marilyn Monroe.

And one more thing: people keep speaking of her performance in "Some Like it Hot." That was a good movie, but her truly quintessential performance was that in the "Seven Year Itch." She was at her most gorgeous, and the believability of her naïvete juxtaposed with her smoldering sexuality was never more visible. It must be seen to truly judge her talent.

by Anonymousreply 147January 23, 2018 10:50 AM

Marilyn died at barely 36 and Whitney died at 48, so that might've explained the difference in levels of plastic surgery damages?

by Anonymousreply 148January 23, 2018 5:22 PM

RE: 96 "Elizabeth Taylor wasn't "smart." She was SHREWD. She knew how to make demands and toot her own horn. But she definitely wasn't much when it came to intelligence. " Knowing how to make monetary demands the effective way takes outstanding intelligence though. Staying wealthy after getting there is also very taxing on the brains. Why do you think Liz got to die old and rich while so many other actresses of her time crashed and burned?

And before more supposed Monroe fans are to accuse Liz of being overtly materialistic, do you know that she turned down Howard Hughes when the man offered her a frigging studio for her hand in marriage? Or how about when rich heir Nicky Hilton beat her into a miscarriage, and she gave up alimony to get a quick divorce – a divorce against the wishes of MGM, who then punished her by forcing her to star in B movies. Sure Liz liked and was very good with money but she had principles and dignity too. That made her deserving of respect, not ugly jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 149January 23, 2018 11:25 PM

R149 I didn't know Howard Hughes offered Elizabeth a movie studio. He must of really wanted her. Also a studio would have been a really nice investment for Elizabeth. Surprised she didn't take him up on his offer and then divorce him a year or two down the line. She'd be the proud owner of a hopefully profitable movie studio and walking away with a huge cash settlement. She would've been set for ever, earlier in life. She would have probably ended up selling the studio for a huge sume and investing the money. I know I would've. But like you said. She had dignity.

by Anonymousreply 150January 25, 2018 5:39 AM

[quote]Marilyn Monroe was a junkie whore

That's why I refused to have her on my show

by Anonymousreply 151January 25, 2018 6:24 AM

Marilyn is truly luminous in The Seven Year Itch but most of the rest of the movie is a tedious bore.

by Anonymousreply 152January 25, 2018 2:57 PM

Seven Year Itch now appears dated and boring story wise. And Monroe has far too few scenes for it to be worthwhile. It's like she's guest starring almost, with the male lead having like 70% of the screen time. I'm also disappointed how that subway dress scene was so brief and shifty. It's like you blink and you missed it. With all the publicity surrounding that scene back then - big billboard and all - I thought it would've been a key moment in the movie. They should've done more with that scene, and make it dreamlike and with impact.

by Anonymousreply 153January 25, 2018 6:26 PM

R153 I agree. That whole dress scene is one of the most famous photos of Marilyn PERIOD.

by Anonymousreply 154January 25, 2018 6:30 PM

R150 Hughes also offered Taylor's parents one million dollars if she were to marry him.

R151 Actually Dorothy & Marilyn were good friends so that would not have happened. Dorothy in fact did her own investigation following Marilyn's death. She found out what really happened but knew that there was no point in making it public so she kept the results to herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 25, 2018 6:42 PM

[R155] The scary thing was stage mom Sara wanted that money and pressured 16 yr old Liz to marry Hughes. It was a testimony to teenage Liz's sheer toughness that she did not end up a sold child bride, that being the 1940s. Liz would never have rushed to marry Nicky Hilton - young and handsome though he was - if not out of desperation to get away from Sara's grip.

P.S. If only Dorothy's finds will surface someday like so many hollywood hidden secrets!

by Anonymousreply 156January 25, 2018 6:53 PM

Elizabeth didn't speak to her mother for some time too on several occasions. She felt that her mother had tried to pimp her in a way. I do recall that while Elizabeth was at death's door in London in 1961 that at one point when she regained consciousness, she wrote on a piece of paper: I WANT MY MOTHER and then husband Eddie Fisher got the parents to fly over. There was also another period in which they didn't speak for some time but eventually buried the hatchet.

BELOW: Elizabeth & mother Sara in 1966.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157January 25, 2018 7:28 PM

Supposedly Nicky Hilton had a very thick long cock.

Actress Terry Moore said it was the closest she ever came to sleeping with a donkey !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158January 25, 2018 8:14 PM

Nicky Hilton was movie star handsome. If it wasn't for his jealous, violent nature he'd be an actual good catch.

by Anonymousreply 159January 25, 2018 9:53 PM

"Wilder made her do it over and over and over again, even though they could have easily dubbed the line in post production because Marilyn says the line with her back to the camera opening up a drawer to get the flask."

He didn't "make" her do it over and over again. She kept flubbing the line. She'd say "where's the whisky?" "where's the bottle?" "where's the bonbon?" They pasted the line in the drawers she's opening and she STILL couldn't get it right. Finally, they went with the shot with her back to the camera and dubbed the line in. She couldn't get a three word line right, but the scene on the beach, which was much more complicated, she did without a hitch. That was Marilyn Monroe; no one could figure her out.

Later Billy Wilder said that after the experience he was "too old and too rich" to go through it again and that he didn't come home anymore wanting to hit his wife because she was a woman. But after SLIH became a huge success there was talk of him casting Monroe as the title character in his film "Irma La Douce." After all the hell working with her and he was considering doing it AGAIN? Well, that's Hollywood for you. A director will apparently do anything if he thinks it will make his movie a hit.

by Anonymousreply 160January 25, 2018 11:54 PM

And Marilyn on screen was worth all the effect, anxiety and angst...

by Anonymousreply 161January 26, 2018 3:02 AM

...all the effort...

by Anonymousreply 162January 26, 2018 3:02 AM

Marilyn's true talent lied in glamor modelling instead of acting. She great with facial and body expressions but sucked at remembering dialogues. Even at 36 and with life-ravaged looks, she still exuded charm in the Life Mag photoshoot. It is sad how there were no VS or SI supermodeling back in her day, or she could've gained fame n a way where none could question her abilities. Might've made better money for herself, even.

by Anonymousreply 163January 27, 2018 9:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!