Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The top of the numeral 4 should be open NEVER closed.

and the letter J should NEVER have a line across the top of it.

And don't even get me started on lines through Zs 7s or 0s, that is just stupid. Just write legibly.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2018 8:58 PM

Numbers from One to Ten should be written as words. 11 and beyond are written in numerals.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2018 2:57 PM

When typing an address in a letter, do not separate house number and street on separate lines. Month, day , and year should be on same line. Don't split the Area Code from 7-digit number on separate lines.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2018 3:11 PM

Op, who made you the handwriting God?

Fuck you. We all use computers now anyway

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2018 3:11 PM

Thank you, Strunk and White.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2018 3:11 PM

R2 I will type any way I fucking please.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2018 3:12 PM

It puts the lotion in the basket . . .

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2018 3:14 PM

Op, lines through 7's, z's and 0's are generally European and make sense. This is how you distinguish them from similar letters and numbers.

7 could be mistaken for a 1, O for an o, z for a 7

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2018 3:14 PM

Home computers in the 1970s and early 1980s used to have the number 0 with a line through it.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2018 3:20 PM

I assume O/P was born in Alabama and never left the state?

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2018 3:26 PM

MUST. CONTROL. EVERY. THING!

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2018 3:27 PM

R7, we bought a 7oo!

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2018 3:28 PM

We bought a ƶoo! (z can be mistaken for 2)

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2018 3:51 PM

I always give the seven and z the strikethrough flair. No apologies.

It makes me feel glamourous, like Marlene Dietrich, every time I write a shopping list for Costco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2018 3:55 PM

As usual, a DL OP is wrong about everything.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2018 4:00 PM

[quote]This is how you distinguish them from similar letters and numbers.

I write legibly and no one, NOT ONE PERSON, has ever mistook one of my 2s for a z nor 7s for a 1.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2018 4:08 PM

r13

You probably also call the elevator, a lift; the bathroom, a loo; and the first floor, a ground floor.

Well toots, this IS NOT Europe. If you're in EUROPE fine, but this ISN'T, so get with the program. This website isn't a .uk or any other stupid site, it's an American site.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2018 4:10 PM

Wow! Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.

Europeans used to, and still do sometimes, make a slash across the middle of the number 7.

This is to prevent confusion. A number 1 can, in some circumstances, be written similar to a number 7, on purpose or sometimes by accident. The horizontal slash distinguishes between a '1 and a '7'.

Some of the rules you deride so gleefully are simply devices of necessity from the age when handwriting was used more widely.

People who follow rules blindly are cogs in the machine.

Hopefully you'll get a better night's sleep tonight and you won't be such a knobhead tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2018 4:15 PM

[quote] Numbers from One to Ten should be written as words. 11 and beyond are written in numerals.

This is or was AP Style, I think. I learned it in college, studying journalism. I still use this rule in business letters and contracts even though I am not a reporter.

I never heard a complaint about a handwritten "4" with a closed top, however. That's personal style, right?

A crossed "7" still reminds me of my first boyfriend!

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2018 4:17 PM

You know r13, Marlene most likely would have ADORED Costco. Her two favorites were stationery and hardware stores and she'd try to hit them in all of the cities on her travels.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2018 4:21 PM

R15 we're sure you meant to say "mistaken," not "mistook.:"

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2018 4:28 PM

r19, I can only dream of meeting Dietrich at Costco and comparing handwriting with our shopping lists. We'd go arm-in-arm through the refrigerated dairy room, with her quite warm draped in furs, as we muse on the price of organic milk. I'll bet she'd have a supremely stylish, Old World manner of checking off items as we load 40 lb. bags of cat litter into the cart.

Is r16 Donald Trump? I don't know who else would be so MAGA-centric and would use such an ancient word as "toots." At least long-dead slang will make my time-traveling warehouse shopping companion Marlene Dietrich feel more comfortable in this era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2018 4:37 PM

Fuck off OP.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2018 4:42 PM

[quote]The top of the numeral 4 should be open NEVER closed.

Funny how at my end, the 4 shows up as open.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2018 4:46 PM

I work with a lot of biological samples that are frozen at -80 degrees C. The condensation when you take them out of the freezer requires that you wipe it with your glove-covered fingers; often the ink wipes off with the ice.

The nice thing about these things (lines thru zero's, sevens and the letter Z) assist in determining what the writing says. A "Z" with a line thru it is clearly not a number 2. A zero with a line thru it isa zero and not a capital O. A seven with a line thru it is not a number 1.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2018 4:48 PM

Marlene was, at heart, a hausfrau r21. It surprised Bette when she would show up at the Hollywood Canteen. If she was there to dance with the service men she'd glam up, otherwise she was perfectly at home with an apron serving donuts and coffee. Don't be surprised if when she meets you at Costco she's wearing dungarees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2018 4:53 PM

Europeans tend to write their 1s with a long, upswept serif.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2018 4:55 PM

R12 - Dates, written as numbers, should always be YYYY-MM-DD

Tell me, what is this? 04-03-12

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2018 4:58 PM

Again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2018 4:59 PM

Why is I and l the same character on computers?

Capital eye/small ell

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2018 5:02 PM

Year first on digital dates may make sense, but it confuses the hell out of Americans, including me.

Some products say "use by 18 J 15" or worse, "18/1/20" and I'm stumped for a bit.

I do like the new trend in speaking to say "15, one-five" or "60, six-zero" for clarity.

And 'Dietrich at Costco' is a movie or play I would pay good money to watch.

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2018 5:17 PM

R16, England isn't in Europe either.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2018 5:20 PM

When a friend from Germany applied for a New York driver license he wrote 02/09/1984. He was born September 2, 1984. When he went for a change of address and was asked his birth date, they thought he was lying. They showed February 9, 1984. Had to show Passport to get it corrected.

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2018 10:35 PM

I don't even handwrite anything anymore so this shit is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2018 10:41 PM

[quote]Numbers from One to Ten should be written as words. 11 and beyond are written in numerals.

Except when the number is the first word in the sentence. Then you spell out the number. Also, there was no need to capitalize "one" and "ten".

[quote]Numbers from one to ten should be written as words. Eleven and beyond are written in numerals.

Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2018 11:09 PM

What is it with people that want to control every aspect of others lives. Write the way you want OP and then go fuck yourself and leave the rest of us alone.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2018 11:35 PM

As you can see 4 doesn't close on my Chrome browser. But the key on the computer shows it closed.

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2018 11:37 PM

Them's some boundaries you've stated, OP.

by Anonymousreply 37January 15, 2018 3:01 AM

Oh, dear, OP.

You do realize that you began two sentences with a conjunction, right?

Aside from that, you're missing a comma in the second one, and to top it off, you included a comma splice.

by Anonymousreply 38January 15, 2018 3:15 AM

OP what are your rules on douching?

by Anonymousreply 39January 16, 2018 1:58 AM

R35, "What is it with people WHO..."

by Anonymousreply 40January 17, 2018 2:52 AM

Back in the 1980s a friend borrowed my typewriter. Later, he complained that it didn’t have a key for the number one. I told him it had to have a key for one. He said he carefully went through every key looking for it, but it wasn’t there. He was frustrated. After I got it back, I realized that, to save keyboard space, there was no key for one. You used the “el” key for one.

by Anonymousreply 41January 17, 2018 5:17 AM

After spending most of my life living outside the US, I never assume about numbers, letters or dates written numerically, find out where the writer is from so that I know whether 2/3/16 is March 2, 2016 or February 3, 2016. I write dates as numeric day alpha month numeric year, e.g., 3 Feb 2016, to avoid confusion. Older Europeans may remember when the date was written numeric day roman numeral month numeric year, e.g., 3 VI 2016 (3 June 2016) .

by Anonymousreply 42January 17, 2018 5:34 AM

R26 Fuck off. You claim Europeans write their 1s that way. That would mean every single fucking one of them does it and I have never seen that in my life.

by Anonymousreply 43January 17, 2018 5:41 AM

I do genealogical research in the Boston area. In the 19th century, the font they used, after weathering, makes it hard to discern the difference between:

0, 6, 8, and 9

1, 4 and 7

2, 3 and 5

I called the Archeology Dept of MIT and got a tip on some software that can accentuate photos. The guy uses it on Mayan gliphs and it’s not expensive, so, I’m looking forward to that.

by Anonymousreply 44January 17, 2018 5:33 PM

Just out of college, I used to date business letters "21 January 1992" and such. I thought it looked very sophisticated, and sort of still do. I stopped doing it after awhile because Americans don't like it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember ABC World News Tonight used the same date format in its opening, in those days. Peter Jennings' choice? He was a Canadian who lived a lot of his life in Europe, after all.

by Anonymousreply 45January 17, 2018 10:06 PM

Dear OP has never been outside the United States. Can you imagine the fits of fury she would have dealing with Canadians or Mexicans or heaven forbid, Europeans?

by Anonymousreply 46January 17, 2018 10:51 PM

I have really bad handwriting. I've tried to do better, but it's a struggle. I cross my 7s and Zs, and have a terrible time writing 8s.

by Anonymousreply 47January 18, 2018 12:48 AM

No, R1.

"Ten" is written as a word, not a numeral in AP style, which is the only style that matters for everyday use.

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 48January 18, 2018 1:17 AM

sorry

fergot my pitcher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 18, 2018 1:19 AM

An enclosed closed number four 4️⃣

by Anonymousreply 50January 18, 2018 1:22 AM

4k U, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2018 1:23 AM

Instructions for illiterate OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2018 1:24 AM

[QUOTE] Had to show Passport to get it corrected.

Oh hi! Svetlana

by Anonymousreply 53January 18, 2018 1:32 AM

Write as illegibly as possible on those cards you fill out on the plane before going thru customs on international flights.

Old advice. Hard to catch you in a lie if they can't tell what you wrote down. Cross them sevens and zeros and leave out the commas, bitches

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2018 8:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!