Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I am in love with Cream of Wheat!

Not the flavored ones. The good old fashioned type you cook. My mom used to buy it occasionally when I was a kid, but I don't have memories of it one way or another. After decades, on a whim, I got some last week and I've had it for breakfast and a snack each day since. It's addictive. Made with half water, half milk, salt and butter. It's so satisfying and comforting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 18, 2018 12:21 PM

I had it a few times on visits to the USA.

Thought it was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2018 12:36 PM

Are we supposed to assume that the chef presenting the bowl is African-American?

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2018 12:37 PM

[quote]I am in love with Cream of Wheat!

Pussy.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2018 12:39 PM

It's call grits.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2018 12:41 PM

Caribbean American, R2. He's been around almost as long as Aunt Jemima.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2018 12:42 PM

I LOVE Cream of Wheat. It's so delicious on a cold morning.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2018 12:42 PM

This makes you a racist, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2018 12:43 PM

Grits are not made from wheat, but corn made into hominy.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2018 12:44 PM

I'm a grits guy myself. Cook them up and throw in a pat of butter and cheese or chop up some bacon and throw that in. Delicious!!

And yes, grits are corn, not wheat.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2018 12:45 PM

R5) Good information.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2018 12:46 PM

I also like Malt-O-Meal.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2018 12:46 PM

Both Cream of Wheat and Malt-O-Meal are great classic hot cereals. Much easier to digest than oats, and tastier too!

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2018 12:53 PM

I went through this same phase as OP... it's funny how this kind of plain food can be so good. It happened when I was sick and had a sore throat & just got it at the grocery store since I couldn't eat much. Then, i ate it for months. I am lazy so I followed the microwave instructions, making it in a pyrex measuring glass.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2018 1:01 PM

My favorite was Maypo when I was a kid. They don't sell it locally anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2018 1:04 PM

Wheat is the devil.

It's not the same wheat it was 80 years ago. It's now a Frankenstein food that's been messed about with so much that it looks twice as fat as it used to.

The gluten within wheat will irritate the lining of your gut. It may take years or decades, but the inflammation created by wheat gluten will eventually compromise the barrier which makes up your immune system.

This will open the door to hundreds of potential autoimmune diseases which can't be cured.

GMO crops are similar in this way too. They have been messed about with by scientists to increase the naturally occuring level of lectins (the plant's own pesticides). These irritate the gut too. It's the same scenario as wheat.

So it's a game of Russian roulette you take with your future health. We may think we are OK but we can't see inside our own bodies. We can't see the inflammation.

As for pesticides. They are linked to malignant tumours in a Chinese study. You'll find it very hard to find any study that links pesticide use with cancer because the food industry is so powerful. It buries negative research.

I'd avoid this product like the plague.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2018 1:06 PM

Completely agree with R15. Read “Wheat Belly.” This isn’t your grandparents’ cream of wheat.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2018 1:09 PM

Drown it in butter and brown sugar ... Heavenly.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2018 1:11 PM

[quote]I'd avoid this product like the plague.

We'll just avoid you, nutbag SJW pussy.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2018 1:11 PM

No comment.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2018 1:16 PM

Cream of wheat? After reading R15, I can't help think it should be renamed

Cream of...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2018 1:16 PM

Delicious with butter and brown sugar, YES.

I avoid most carbohydrates now, but have good memories of it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2018 1:19 PM

Seriously the first person posting this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2018 1:21 PM

I love to use some splenda/brown sugar blend and some margarine in my malt-o-meal. So delicious.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2018 1:23 PM

You're too kind (R18) but I'm really not courageous and selfless enough to be a Social Justice Warrior.

I will leave that title to those who've earned it, like those who fought for gay rights and those who fought to abolish slavery.

It's nice of you to say it though.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2018 1:23 PM

No, what R15 writes is true. It's like GMO corn. The pesticides built into it cause tiny microscopic explosions in the gut. In cattle fed huge amounts of corn it is the greatest contributor to why they are sick all the time and need antibiotics. By the time grain fed cattle is slaughtered they are very sick, filled with pus and near death anyway. Many of them can't even walk up the death shoot to the slaughter house and have to be pushed.

Humans eat much less corn, even those who eat a lot than cattle so the microscopic explosions take much longer till real damage is scene in terms of cancer, weakened immune system and many other conditions.

Going organic helps but the shit that is done to our food supply is in the air. There is no longer such a thing as truly healthy and safe food in this country.

I have a friend who is allergic to most produce here, standard and organic. Really allergic that she goes into anaphylaxis if she eats any produce, except for some reason bananas. She carries an Epipen. When she visits her sister in Italy she is able to eat fruit right off her sister's trees and any vegetable right out of the garden with not as much as an itch.

Think about it. Buy a loaf of commercial non organic supermarket bread and leave it on the counter. It does not mold. Come back to it a month, two, even 3 months later. It will not mold. When I was a kid commercial bread was moldy in a week.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2018 1:23 PM

No, R24, there's nothing courageous nor selfless about being a Social Justice Warrior.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2018 1:25 PM

Wow, too many typos like scene instead of seen and is instead of are to correct them all, sorry, it's early Sunday morning, but what I wrote is still true.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2018 1:27 PM

i love to add margarine and splenda to my cream of wheat.

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2018 1:31 PM

OP has carb face -😩

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2018 1:31 PM

[quote]My favorite was Maypo when I was a kid.

I wanted my Maypo as a kid, too. It didn't have nearly enough maple flavor though, so I had to add real maple syrup, which made me love it even more.

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2018 1:33 PM

(R26) You must be a straight, white man then.

You've obviously never experienced what it feels like to have your own kind lynched on a regular basis, as used to happen in the US.

Turn back the clock enough and I wouldn't be surprised that you would probably have been a slave owner.

SJWs are heroes in my eyes..

None of Trumpesque, redneck sounding noises can change my mind. Have a good day - waving your rattlesnakes in church.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2018 1:42 PM

Are there more natural versions of the name brand's overly processed stuff?

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2018 1:48 PM

suck my asshole, i love cream of wheat.

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2018 1:49 PM

R31, I just ignoredared you. You type SJW in nearly everything you posted.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2018 1:50 PM

(R31) Ha ha ha!

You read my posts so that you could ignore them.. How does that work?

By the way... That rattler you're waving around in your arms (for Jesus)... it's giving you the eye.

As for this original post. I think it might be advertising in disguise.

I'm expecting to see similar postings in the future, such as: 'I love this new flavour of Oreos, what does everyone else think?'

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2018 1:59 PM

I knew this thread would descend into drama within an hour of its posting.

WHEAT is a TRIGGER word around here OP. It is EXPLODING in your RECTUM as we speak!

I read "Wheat Belly" years ago, so yes I agree anyway - but I don't think a little bit here and there really matters. I'm going to off myself anyway this year or next... so I get to have all the carbs I want.

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2018 1:59 PM

No, dumbass. I ignoreDARed them. I brought you back immediately thereafter. How else would I be able to read you now?

Why so hostile? I thought 'SJW' was not an insult to you.

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2018 2:02 PM

CREAM OF WHEAT BITCH! I'D LOVE TO FORCE FEED YOU A WHOLE BOX OF IT!

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2018 2:02 PM

Cocoa wheats are the best. Cream of wheat is not very good for you though.

If you want a good hot cereal, take some All Bran or some other high bran cereal and then pour boiling water over it, just enough to soften the bran into a mush like grits or cream of wheat. Then add a little skim milk and it's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2018 2:06 PM

Mom used to make it in the 60s with brown sugar and vanilla and fold in whipped egg whites...

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2018 2:34 PM

Whipped egg whites sound like such a good idea, but what a pain in the ass to make.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2018 2:54 PM

I love it too, where did it go, OP?

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2018 3:10 PM

Anyone old enough to remember "Let's Pretend" sponsored by Cream of Wheat?

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2018 3:13 PM

I liked all hot cereals mentioned above. I HATED Instant Ralston , however. Seemed so coarse as a child. Malto Meal was the FAVE

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2018 3:14 PM

Anyone here listen to "Let's Pretend" sponsored by Cream of Wheat?

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2018 3:14 PM

Coco Wheats was great, loved it hot with milk and sugar. I can still remember the taste and texture of it inside my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2018 3:15 PM

Buckwheat of "Our Gang/Littlle Rascals" fame has converted to Islam, assuming the name Kareem of Wheat.

by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2018 3:16 PM

Wheatina. Where can I buy it?

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2018 3:16 PM

Did Tammy Cruise start this fucking thread?

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2018 3:17 PM

Cream of Wheat is so good to eat and we have it every day We sing this song it will make us strong, and it makes us shout hooray! Its good for growing babies and grown-ups too to eat For all the family s breakfast, You can t beat Cream of Wheat

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2018 3:52 PM

You gays will love this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2018 4:16 PM

From Amazon, R48, of course! But, you spelled it incorrectly. It is Wheatena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2018 4:23 PM

I LOVE IT

by Anonymousreply 53January 14, 2018 4:25 PM

We always had Wheat Hearts, which I gather was General Mills' version of Cream of Wheat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 14, 2018 4:46 PM

How about Cream of Rice? Supposedly one of the first food they used to feed babies. And for when you're sick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2018 4:48 PM

I loved Cream of Wheat but can't digest it well. I know, blah blah blah, gluten free, blah blah blah. I use Bob's Red Mill very tasty cereal. I hear what the organic advocate is saying about the overall contamination. He's right. No amount of organic labeling is going to stop the lead in the air from getting into the lettuce, spinach, etc. Still, it's worth the effort to grow your own and try to be as clean as possible. I'm more comfortable and feeling better than I ever have since giving up white bread, etc..

by Anonymousreply 56January 14, 2018 5:02 PM

I never picked up that COW could be served as a savory dish. Growing up, COW was served with milk and sugar, and grits were served with butter and S&P - sausage on the side.

by Anonymousreply 57January 14, 2018 5:06 PM

Cream of wheat is also known as farina. I grew up eating it as well as oatmeal. It has to be sweetened for me to really enjoy it. I like it with cinnamon and maple syrup or with a ripe banana which I put in as it's cooking which sweetens it without sugar/Then I sprinkle the cinn and put in a teaspoon of real maple syrup. With the banana, it sometimes doesn't even need the syrup.

Cream of Rice is great if you do have a gluten issue. I also like to prep it as I do COW. My mom also grew up eating corn meal as a hot cereal. Still love that as well.

by Anonymousreply 58January 14, 2018 5:17 PM

Bob’s Red Mill makes a non gmo version. It’s heartier and I love it. My man prefers Cream of Wheat.

by Anonymousreply 59January 14, 2018 5:40 PM

Is there ANYTHING left to eat that isn't InstaSuicide?

And, R51, "you gays" might have loved it way up-thread where it was originally posted.

by Anonymousreply 60January 14, 2018 5:40 PM

[quote]Is there ANYTHING left to eat that isn't InstaSuicide?

This. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2018 6:02 PM

I had a boyfriend whose cum tasted exactly like Cream of Wheat. I kid you not. (The plain kind, not flavored)

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2018 6:09 PM

I remember this too. I'm surprised you can still buy it. I love it with butter, milk, cinnamon and a dash of sugar. Brown sugar is even better.

by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2018 6:19 PM

I eat it every day

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2018 6:23 PM

During out childhood stays on the psychiatric ward they served cream of rice every morning.

Everything came in little metal trays on a big rolling cart. We loved it.

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2018 6:25 PM

[quote]Erna

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2018 6:36 PM

Cream of White, you say ?

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2018 6:44 PM

Great with butter and maple syrup.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2018 6:46 PM

Auntie, the cook for COW is black, don't you know

by Anonymousreply 69January 14, 2018 6:52 PM

Does anyone remember Roman Meal hot cereal? It had more texture and seemed more “whole grain” than cream of wheat or rice.

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2018 7:01 PM

I used to like it when I was a kid, mainly for when I was feeling a bit queasy.

Maude on 'All in the Family': 'Cream of Wheat with cheese; it's light, but it binds."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 14, 2018 7:08 PM

Cream of Wheat, a white rapper from Grand Forks North Dakota.

by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2018 7:23 PM

I loved it as a child and am afraid to try it as an adult in case it ruins the memory. My Nana used to make it and serve it with a pat of butter, a small amount of warmed milk and a tablespoon of jelly- strawberry usually but grape was surprisingly good too.

by Anonymousreply 73January 14, 2018 7:34 PM

I think the Cream of Wheat guy and Uncle Ben were secret lovers.

by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2018 7:37 PM

R71 bear me to it!

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2018 7:52 PM

r74, they were until that perv chef "boi" R Dee was discovered in flagrante delicto with the Uncle. COW guy never was the same after that and has been seen on numerous occasions drunk hitting on the brawny paper towel guy at inappropriate times

by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2018 8:06 PM

I make hot cereal with coarse or fine semolina (aka polenta) and all of the above.

by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2018 8:17 PM

Also invited to the party...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2018 8:20 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2018 8:22 PM

fucking sluts

by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2018 8:26 PM

Nana would spit in mine.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2018 9:05 PM

[quote]coarse or fine semolina (aka polenta)

Am I missing something? I thought semolina is wheat (on any pasta package label) and polenta is ground corn...

by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2018 9:50 PM

I prefer the Cream of Cock.

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2018 10:45 PM

Being late to the game is probably worse that being trite and unfunny, R83.

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2018 12:16 AM

If you like the texture of cream of wheat but want something healthier, and with fiber get organic oat bran. It's not expensive. It is very smooth, like cream of wheat but made of oats and has 7 grams of fiber per serving. I like it with salt, butter and sugar, that is pastured butter, sea salt and organic cane sugar. You could do honey or maple syrup if you life. You can do it on the stove or nuke it and it comes out great. Close your eyes and you will think you're eating cream of wheat.

by Anonymousreply 85January 15, 2018 1:19 AM

I second the oat bran suggestion. I like it much better than oats.

by Anonymousreply 86January 15, 2018 1:45 AM

The cafeteria where I work used to have oatmeal as an option for breakfast and a few times had cream of wheat. I tried it once, but thought it was too bland. I prefer oatmeal with a little brown sugar on it. Grits are just as bad as cream of wheat.

by Anonymousreply 87January 15, 2018 1:50 AM

With all that fiber, will you blow a hole in your toilet?

by Anonymousreply 88January 15, 2018 1:51 AM

[quote] that is pastured butter, sea salt and organic cane sugar.

Is there something you're trying to tell us about yourself, R85?

by Anonymousreply 89January 15, 2018 2:32 AM

I like to add margarine and Splenda to my Cream of Wheat.

by Anonymousreply 90January 15, 2018 11:25 AM

Childhood memories with Nana can come alive again: both Malt-O-Meal and MayPo are still sold at WalMart and Target (though it may just be online).

by Anonymousreply 91January 15, 2018 11:49 AM

[quote] Close your eyes and you will think you're eating cream of wheat.

I close my eyes and think of the Empire

by Anonymousreply 92January 15, 2018 2:45 PM

Cream of Wheat is great comfort food. It brings me right back to my childhood. One of those foods that is my "Rosebud". It really needs the right blend of salt and sweetness though. I loved it with just enough honey that you could taste a bit of sweetness. Sometimes I'd put raisins or fruit in it.

by Anonymousreply 93January 15, 2018 2:52 PM

For a change of pace, look online for the recipe for Cream of Wheat pancakes which are/were sold in IHOP'S. Or you can do what I did and just sprinkle some COW into pancake batter. Not too much or the pancakes become too thick, dense and gummy, and let the batter sit a few so the COW softens/absorbs into mixture.

by Anonymousreply 94January 15, 2018 3:02 PM

Is Cream of Wheat the same thing as Farina?

by Anonymousreply 95January 15, 2018 5:31 PM

Yes, R95.

by Anonymousreply 96January 15, 2018 5:52 PM

It’s cream of WHHHEAT.

by Anonymousreply 97January 15, 2018 5:56 PM

OP: Yum! I love it spinkled with sugar and butter!

by Anonymousreply 98January 15, 2018 5:58 PM

This is the brand I grew up on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 15, 2018 6:27 PM

It used to be Pillsbury but I guess they sold it.

by Anonymousreply 100January 15, 2018 6:27 PM

Those wholesome kids on the box made me creep the fuck out

by Anonymousreply 101January 15, 2018 8:08 PM

[quote]Is Cream of Wheat the same thing as Farina?

'Scuse me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2018 12:58 AM

You're probably getting a day's worth of iron in every bowl, OP. Men need very little iron amd the excess stores in your heart muscle. Take a few days off. All cereals are loaded with iron supplements, it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2018 1:01 AM

I like Cream of Wheat but it gives me burning shits.

by Anonymousreply 104January 16, 2018 1:05 AM

My mother used to drop an egg into the piping hot farina in the pot, then take a fork and whisk the crap out of it. The hot cereal would cook the egg by the time it made it into the bowl. She’d serve it to us with a pat of butter and some sugar sprinkled on top. She cooked it in milk instead of water, so it was a really RICH breakfast. I used to feel so full after eating the bowl, but man was it delicious and homey. It will always remind me of my mother.

by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2018 1:39 AM

my momma don' tole me

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2018 5:12 PM

^^^ you better shop around!

by Anonymousreply 107January 16, 2018 7:06 PM

For cream of wheat!

by Anonymousreply 108January 17, 2018 1:29 PM

It turns to concrete too quickly. This is not a house of garbage and I won't have sticky foods ruining my pots, plates, and cutlery.

by Anonymousreply 109January 17, 2018 1:40 PM

[quote]I am in love with Cream of Wheat!

Well, why don't you marry it then?

No seriously, why not? He's pretty handsome actually.

by Anonymousreply 110January 17, 2018 1:42 PM

[quote]Wheatina. Where can I buy it?

I knew a black girl named Wheatina AND she was a prostitute, funny huh?

by Anonymousreply 111January 17, 2018 2:31 PM

[quote]How about Cream of Rice? Supposedly one of the first food they used to feed babies. And for when you're sick.

You can easily make this simply by overboiling rice. Make plain rice as usual but then keep adding water and boiling and you'll get to the same consistency.

by Anonymousreply 112January 17, 2018 2:33 PM

r70

Their complete story

[quote] It was a hot breakfast cereal of whole grain wheat, rye, bran, and flaxseed. Not only did it correct his vitamin and mineral deficiency, but the cereal provided an effective prescription for many of his patients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 17, 2018 2:35 PM

r99

That kid would be like 95 years old today

by Anonymousreply 114January 17, 2018 2:36 PM

perfect for the DL

by Anonymousreply 115January 17, 2018 5:06 PM

SHART

by Anonymousreply 116January 18, 2018 2:46 AM

I slap it on my face to moisturize

by Anonymousreply 117January 18, 2018 4:01 AM

I ate grits with milk and sugar almost everyday growing up. I only eat it with salt, butter and sometimes cheese and eggs. Sweetened grits are no better than gruel.

by Anonymousreply 118January 18, 2018 11:44 AM

Calling it "cream of" wheat would lead you to believe that there's a dairy element in it. Marketing deception.

by Anonymousreply 119January 18, 2018 12:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!