Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn't Doris Day ever try to stretch herself as an actress?

Do you think her acting abilities were limited or was she just lazy and didn't want to step out of her stupid romcom comfort zone (especially in the 1960's)?

I think she did an amazing job in "Love Me or Leave Me", which was one of her few dramatic roles. She was pretty bad in those thrillers she made though, but they had pretty horrible scripts and were badly directed to be honest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302February 26, 2018 11:39 AM

OK that 'do is just beyond... not even drag queens do that kinda shit!

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2018 11:28 AM

As soon as she married the Jew, she took anything.

by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2018 11:31 AM

I don't people would buy a person with a fucking palm tree growing out of her head as a serious dramatic actress.

And wasn't she pretty much a big band singer turned actress by chance? I think she did pretty well considering that. But her post-1961 ouput is pretty much unwatchable. I think she knew that too and called it quits soon afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2018 11:36 AM

She could sing well but I never liked her.

I found her wholesome, ideal wife template, Republican, blond housewife (cakes in the oven and house spotless) image too sickly sweet. She's a walking washing detergent ad.

That said, one of my favourite songs is 'Move Over Darling', but I prefer the Tracey Ullman version by far.

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2018 11:55 AM

Doris had a long and successful run for a female star.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2018 12:14 PM

All she could do was run down spiral staircases and dress like the Morton Salt girl.

by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2018 12:16 PM

Midnight Lace. Storm Warning. Julie. The Man Who Knew to Much.

She 'stretched' a great deal. Usually with considerable success.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2018 12:17 PM

In popularity she ruled the first half of the 1960s.

Miss Doris Day was the #1 box office star of 1960. And #1 box office star for 1962, '63, '64.

1961 #3, 1965 #3 (behind Sean Connery & John Wayne, so she was still the most popular actress). And she was the most popular actress of 1959 too.

1966 #8

That's an incredible run that no other actress of the era can match.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2018 12:17 PM

"...too Much." Fuck! Why can't we edit on this site????

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2018 12:17 PM

She was Mike Nichols' first choice to play Mrs. Robinson in "The Graduate".

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2018 12:23 PM

[quote]1966 #8

Let me add that among actresses in 1966 only Elizabeth Taylor and Julie Andrews ranked higher.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2018 12:24 PM

Doris is deserving of an honorary Oscar and a Kennedy Center Honor.

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2018 12:24 PM

Why didn't she ever play the villain in any of her films?

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2018 12:25 PM

The Academy tried to woo her for years with an honorary. She would never do it now. Doris knew when to quit.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2018 12:29 PM

She started out as a singer so I don't think her career goals were to be the Theda Bara of her era.

Compare and contrast her movie career with that of another singer/wannabe actress, Diana Ross. Given Ross' spectacular flame out in that bomb"The Wiz," her atrocious, cunty behavior and legendary hatred of Ross by the Hollywood elite, I'd say Doris did quite well for herself.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2018 12:33 PM

Meaning what, OP? DD played comedic; DD played dramatic; DD sang.

Are you suggesting that she needed to add Shakespeare to her repertoire, or perhaps Tennessee Williams? Because sure, Vivien Leigh, but was VL ever considered a great comedic actress?

People have different strengths.

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2018 12:37 PM

She had serious parts but her fans loved her in comedy.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2018 12:38 PM

She did try, OP, and failed.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2018 12:49 PM

The number 1 hit record of 1945.

(That's 73 years ago.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2018 12:52 PM

Doris Day defined the 1960s. She knew when to quit.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2018 12:55 PM

Midnight Lace is hoky melodrama and The Man Who Knew Too Much is an inferior remake where Doris' big scenes involve screaming or singing "Que Sara, Sara" which she supposedly did not want to do.

She did well with a good cast and director (Love Me or Leave Me) but her other dramatic material wasn't great. She wasn't a "B" actress but starting out as a singer probably led to typecasting (Love Me or Leave Me was about a singer). She made tons of money doing light comedy and playing the eternal virgin until she got sick of it. Hollywood did that to people--her contemporary Donna Reed (who, unlike Doris didn't lie about her age) was always stuck in B pictures, but got an Oscar for one of her few A pictures which had a goo director & script and a strong cast. Some actors just don't get many opportunities to shine and Doris made a pile of money doing crap.

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2018 12:57 PM

She was fabulous in comedy. I defy anyone to watch The Thrill of it All and say she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2018 1:18 PM

At about the age of 21, Doris became a single mother with a child to support when she divorced a husband who beat her. Going on tour with a band allowed her to make money to raise her son, but to do it, she had to leave him with her mother. She had several hit records while working with Les Brown, but touring is always difficult and she hated being away from her son.

She was called to do a screen test for Romance on the High Seas because Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne liked her singing. She got hired. For Doris it meant she didn't have to tour and be away from her son. For just about any other star in Hollywood, their film career was everything. To Doris Day, who by her early 20's was already an established musician, it was always a means to an end; a way to earn a good living, provide for her son and make a stable home where they could be together. That's why she could walk away. She wanted to do good work, but she only ever saw it as a job.

Her career reflects both her talent and her approach to the business. She's always top notch, but she did a lot of schlock because it gave her the money she wanted for things that were really important. And along the way, her personal life is remarkably free of the typical Hollywood pitfalls. No rehab. No arrests. No jail. She made millions. Raised her kid. And moved on. She's now 95 and still involved with charity work. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2018 1:22 PM

[quote]Some actors just don't get many opportunities to shine and Doris made a pile of money doing crap.

[quote]. She's always top notch, but she did a lot of schlock

Most of Days comedy films a perfectly enjoyable. "The Thrill of it All" is a fine screw-ball comedy film. It got glowing reviews at the time and has held up beautifully. Day is wonderful in it.

Day did not stoop to kind of "crap" that other actresses Golden Age actresses (Crawford, Davis, Taylor, Russell, Sothern, de Havilland) wound up doing.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2018 1:27 PM

Oh dear....sorry for the typos! I pressed to post button too fast!

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2018 1:29 PM

Her greatest film role was Love Me or Leave Me (1955), a powerful drama in which she co-starred with James Cagney. Based on a true story, she plays Ruth Etting, a singer and dancer who rose to fame as she endured an abusive relationship with a mobster. Day shows off her singing talents and her acting chops when she gets beat up by Cagney.

Afterward, Day pretty much stuck to comedy, which she excelled at, with a few notable exceptions including Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much, which is good, and Midnight Lace, which is camp.

She received her only Oscar nomination for Pillow Talk (1959), the first of three successful comedies she made with Rock Hudson. She was No. 1 at the box office in the early 60s, making a string of light comedies with Hudson, James Garner and Rod Taylor. Her last movie was With Six You Get Egg Roll (1968) with Brian Keith. She later did 5 seasons of a sitcom, a few TV specials and then permanently retired from show biz and moved to Carmel, Calif., where she still lives today at 95.

Through the years, she has often been offered special honors (including Kennedy Center) which she declined, except for the Golden Globes' Cecil B. DeMIlle Award in 1989. She still looked fabulous when she accepted it.

Below is a still from Love Me or Leave Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2018 1:39 PM

"Midnight Lace" is hokey melodrama and "The Man Who Knew too Much" is an inferior remake, eh? So did Doris write, direct, or produce either of them? She played the part assigned to her and if all the other elements didn't come together perfectly, she had nothing to do with that. And any blame that gets apportioned to the actors involved can be shared with James Stewart, Rex Harrison, John Gavin, Myrna Loy, Roddy McDowall, Herbert Marshall, and Hermione Baddeley.

When I wrote that she did a 'lot of schlock,' I was also thinking about the endless trail of LP's she recorded. Some were carefully prepared and are terrific. Others are mediocre kitsch, or worse, designed to do nothing but put Doris Day's face on the cover and sell some records. She left the business to her husband and he - famously - mismanaged it. She could have been more attentive to quality. Seen retrospectively, her career would have been better. But then again, maybe she couldn't. Maybe those were fights she did not want and wisely avoided. She got her kid and her home and that's what she wanted.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2018 1:39 PM

Compared to other Golden Age of Hollywood actresses, Doris's '60s output wasn't bad. Yes, the likes of Midnight Lace is campy, but she doesn't humiliate herself by being in it. There is no "Trog" or "Bunny O'Hare" in her filmography, even after Melcher stole every penny she'd earned.

The Doris Day Show is a surprisingly watchable sitcom, in spite of the bizarreness of a format change virtually every season. Doris herself was a natural actress, very comfortable and natural in front of a camera. That might not sound like anything, but it's rare.

All in all, I think Doris Day is an extremely underrated actress (because she made it look easy) and a helluva good broad.

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2018 1:44 PM

[quote]Seen retrospectively, her career would have been better.

Better in what way exactly? She wasn't a Katherine Hepburn and didn't pretend to be.

My gosh... she's the top female box office star of all time.

The gal was doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2018 1:50 PM

Better in what way exactly?

Gurrl, there is NO bigger Doris Day queen than me. But we all could have done without "Caprice."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2018 1:58 PM

She did TRY to stretch. Midnight Lace was an attempt. A failed attempt but still...

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2018 1:59 PM

she really didn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2018 2:05 PM

[quote]The Man Who Knew Too Much is an inferior remake where Doris' big scenes involve screaming or singing "Que Sara, Sara" which she supposedly did not want to do.

The remake is clearly better than the original.

I've posted this before on one of the Hitchcock threads, but the 1956 version is a subtly feminist film.

The back story is that the Jimmy Stewart character forces Day quit the job she loves (she's a singer) because he wants her staying at home raising their son like the good 1950s housewife & mother she's supposed to be.

Then the tragedy strikes in the form of their son being kidnapped by terrorists.

Then in pure Hitchcock fashion, what saves the day is her voice - the very thing her husband denied her.

And she uses that voice not once but twice -once to avert an international catastrophe, and once to rescue her son and thereby save her family.

The irony of it all is fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2018 2:24 PM

She could have had sex with a wolf pack and still come across as a nice, dull suburbanite.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2018 2:28 PM

R30, Caprice was a masterpiece compared to The Ballad Of Jose, released the same year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2018 2:33 PM

[quote]All in all, I think Doris Day is an extremely underrated actress (because she made it look easy) and a helluva good broad.

She didn't turn Rock Hudson away when he was dying. She's good people.

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2018 2:42 PM

Playing a lesbian in 1953.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2018 2:46 PM

Oh, I STRETCHED plenty when I started dating that black Dodger!

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2018 2:48 PM

It is easy to mock Doris as a lightweight, but she had the "IT" factor.

I saw "Romance on the High Seas" recently and I was surprised by how she stole focus in every scene she was in. She had star power.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2018 2:50 PM

[quote]She could have had sex with a wolf pack and still come across as a nice, dull suburbanite.

That's not at all how she came across. Nice yes, but nothing dull or suburbanite about her.

From "Pillow Talk" through her early '60s comedy films she plays what was really the predecessor to Anne Marie and Mary Richards.

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2018 2:52 PM

Some actors and actresses find their niche and simply stay there because it brings them fame and fortune and a great sense of comfort.

Clark Gable was a natural who simply played variations of himself in most of his movies as did Doris Day. Audiences expected no more and no less of them.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2018 2:52 PM

R41 Clark Gable and Doris Day starred together in "Teacher's Pet".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2018 2:55 PM

Teacher's Pet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2018 2:57 PM

The Academy should give her an honorary Oscar even if she won't attend the ceremony and EVEN if she won't appear on camera.

I mean, who cares? We all know what she looks like. Let them just show a montage of her hits.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2018 3:00 PM

R44 Yes!!

by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2018 3:02 PM

Yaaas Queen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2018 3:09 PM

She's Beverly Boyer.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2018 3:09 PM

I thought Doris said she couldn't handle roles like in Julie and Midnight Lace because she took the anxiety home and it drove her nuts.

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2018 3:09 PM

She made a lotta shit.

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2018 3:13 PM

More accomplished actresses than her made worse movies, R49. And furthermore, did Bette or Joan ever make a movie with Bugs Bunny? Doris did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2018 3:16 PM

Unfortunately Mr. Bunny and I never got the chance to work together, though we'd often see each other on the Warner's lot r50. I remember him being an early proponent of vegetarianism and having a wicked sense of humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2018 3:24 PM

R50 I couldn't make it to the end. Please tell me it is revealed that the kid is dead.

by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2018 3:24 PM

No r52, but it would appear the child within you sure is!

by Anonymousreply 53January 14, 2018 3:30 PM

The real legends of Hollywood rarely stretched themselves artistically. The only two risk taking performances by legends that I can think of are Bette Davis in Baby Jane and Liz Taylor in Virginia Woolf.

Day was the top female box-office star of her era because she gave audiences what they wanted, and that was Doris Day. Same with Barbra Streisand, who was the top female of the '60s-70s and never veered too far from her persona.

All the legends played themselves in every role--John Wayne, Clark Gable, Marilyn, Judy, Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 54January 14, 2018 3:39 PM

Perhaps R52 will appreciate this clip from "Tea For Two" a bit more. Around 0:45 you can see Doris with her original, pre-surgery honker but the absolute highlight of the clip begins at 1:45, when Gene Nelson does his famous dance on the stairway - those have to be the gayest sixty seconds ever captured on celluloid.

If the stairway looks familiar that's because it was reused in Auntie Mame years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2018 3:41 PM

Calamity Jane is my favorite movie of all time.

by Anonymousreply 56January 14, 2018 3:48 PM

[quote]The Doris Day Show is a surprisingly watchable sitcom, in spite of the bizarreness of a format change virtually every season. Doris herself was a natural actress, very comfortable and natural in front of a camera. That might not sound like anything, but it's rare.

On one of the DVD extras for The Doris Day Show, Kaye Ballard described occasions when they were rehearsing scenes and Doris would express her own opinions on that episode's topic. She said, "I'd often have to ask if we were rehearsing lines or just talking. That's how natural her acting is. You can't tell."

by Anonymousreply 57January 14, 2018 3:50 PM

The palm tree hair do is from a segment from her tv series where she's modeling funky clothes at a fashion show. She never wanted to do a tv series but after the death of her horrible husband Marty Melcher she found papers contracting her to do a weekly tv series. He did this entirely without her knowledge and she was stuck. Originally the show was folksy; it was set in the country and she had kids and a father and a dog. It didn't really go over well, so the show was totally changed to make Doris into a single city girl. It worked and the show was a success.

Doris Day was very talented. She could sing, dance, act; she could do it all. Her forte was comedy, but I think she could have done well in dramatic roles too. She was very good in "The Man Who Knew Too Much", playing the mother of a kidnapped boy in a Hitchcock film. She so deserves an Oscar or a Kennedy center honor. But she just doesn't care about things like that. Too bad; I think an Oscar tribute to her would be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 58January 14, 2018 3:57 PM

The tv show had that crazed looking Jackie Joseph

by Anonymousreply 59January 14, 2018 3:59 PM

Jackie Joseph Berry r59!!!

by Anonymousreply 60January 14, 2018 4:02 PM

Did Hitchcock actually want Day in TMWKTM or was she imposed on him by the studio (like another songbird Julie Andrews in Torn Curtain)?

by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2018 4:06 PM

I knew a Hitchcock aficionado once and he detested [italic]Torn Curtain[/italic], but I don't remember his thoughts on either version of [italic]The Man Who Knew Too Much[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2018 4:10 PM

Guess she was too busy chasing Charlie Manson and Sly Stone.

by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2018 4:16 PM

Because I think she needed to work to pay off debts, and so Mama just gave the people what they wanted.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2018 4:17 PM

I checked wikipedia and apparently Hitch picked Day himself because he liked her work in "Storm Warning". The studio didn't like that idea and wanted him to cast Grace Kelly, Kim Novak or Lana Turner instead.

So it looks like it was the exact opposite situation as with Torn Curtain where he had to cast both Julie Andrews and Paul Newman against his will.

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2018 4:19 PM

Too bad the Academy hasn't honored Doris. She has a grandson who sells real estate in Carmel Valley where she lives- he could accept on her behalf.

I don't blame her for not appearing. No one wants another Mary Pickford strapped to a sofa.

Classy lady.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2018 4:35 PM

I can imagine why the Widow Edwards was forced on him (she turned straw into box-office and Oscar gold, even if time has revealed it to be fool's gold), but he really didn't want Paul Newman either?

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2018 4:39 PM

R66, apparently her grandson is penning a grandma dearest book about her.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2018 4:48 PM

Calamity Jane is hugely entertaining.

Didn't Doris get her start on film replacing someone who was pregnant?Or was it that MGM refused to lend Judy Garland for a movie?

by Anonymousreply 69January 14, 2018 4:49 PM

Doris always had a stunning figure, like a runway model. Designers must have loved creating outfits for her.

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2018 4:51 PM

Bob Hope gave Doris a big break on his radio show in the 40s. She had to pay for it with nature's credit card, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 71January 14, 2018 4:56 PM

[quote]She started out as a singer

Actually, she started out as a DANCER, but due to injuries, she started singing, and that's how she rose to prominence.

by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2018 5:07 PM

Betty Hutton had been originally cast in ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS....she got pregnant, and Jule Styne suggested that director Michael Curtiz take a look a Doris. Styne had seen Doris singing at a party a couple of nights before......

by Anonymousreply 73January 14, 2018 5:08 PM

What did she and Lucy think of each other?

by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2018 5:10 PM

OP, thanks so much for that picture! I now know how I'll be doing my hair for the State of the Union!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2018 5:10 PM

Link re: grandson writing book? Don't believe that- he would get far more from her than any book. His bio at his website talks about her and the hotel she owns.

by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2018 5:31 PM

Well, by all accounts she is a nice woman.

by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2018 6:00 PM

"Doris always had a stunning figure, like a runway model."

Puleeeeze, R70. Doris was too buxom and short.

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2018 7:01 PM

Doris looked great in clothes, no matter her height.

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2018 7:09 PM

R79- Exactly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2018 7:18 PM

I read they were estranged. Perhaps he wanted money and she didn't give it to him?

Close to her son but does not speak to her grandson.

She was also known to have a whim of iron. She went toe to toe with Grant on Touch of Mink and won.

She was not all peaches and cream. You can't be and have the career she had. You have to work too hard to let things slide.

But I find her 60s stuff unwatchable except for about 2 films. Daisies has a couple of funny moments but on the whole it is a stinker and very typical of what she ended up doing. But it's one of those films of hers that people love so it's a case of what the hell do I know.

I wish she had done Pajama Game with Keel or Macrae. Raitt is totally out of her league. Also Maclaine should have done Carol(face made for radio)Haney's role. Best part of film is not hers anyway or Steam Heat, it's the blissful unshowey soft shoe of Reta and Eddie. And the camera just follows them. No ridiculous headache inducing editing.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2018 7:19 PM

R76, apparently the grandson, Ryan, is somewhat estranged from Doris because of the mom, Jackie Carlin, who divorced Doris's son. The book is speculation but very possible.

by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2018 7:27 PM

Funny about John Raitt. When I was a kid in the 1950s and he appeared on TV I thought he was hunky and handsome. But in retrospect I see he didn't have movie star looks like Howard Keel.

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2018 7:28 PM

[quote]Doris looked great in clothes, no matter her height.

She did. And there are some scenes, like this one from Pillow Talk, where she was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2018 7:29 PM

R59 I liked Jackie Joseph who appeared on the last 2 seasons of The Doris Day Show. She was ditzy and funny in her own way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2018 8:03 PM

R85 That's Billy de Wolfe, a gay actor, who appeared in some of Doris's movies (as well as others) and a number of her TV shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2018 8:06 PM

Doris listened to her ugly husband too much and missed great roles. She is fantastic and versatile. Helen Mirren's favorite actress, she said Doris is under rated and never reached her full potential.

I loved her sitcom and about half her movies. Romance and Man Who are great.

When I first arrived in Los Gay Angeles, I was at a K Mart in the Valley. Looking behind me, it was Doris Day in line behind me, Said to my boyfriend quietly, Look behind me...Doris Day. I did not bother her, as I do not do that. She grinned and those freckles gave her away.

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2018 8:07 PM

R84 Doris is dancing with Nick Adams who probably became best known for his tv show The Rebel (1959-61.) He was a very familiar face in many movies and tv shows of the 50s and early 60s. He's an interesting character who grew up in a PA coal mining family who ended up in Jersey City. A chance encounter with Jack Palance sort of jump started his career but he was a very driven, ambitious, self-promoter who became close to James Dean, Sal Mineo and Elvis, among many others. He was in a lot of iconic films, including Rebel Without A Cause, where he and Dean became friends.

He always struck me as a sort of hot mess when I watched him in The Rebel or other films or tv shows. He seemed too intense, like a train wreck in the making. But looking back, he was a kid from rank poverty who wanted to make sure he always had money in his pocket, was deeply insecure, probably bi or gay in that closeted era, and intensely wanted to make it in show business no matter what - we'll, too intense would have been what it took for a guy like him to make it as he did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2018 8:32 PM

WELL not "we'll." Yes, here's one more vote for an edit option on DL. I know I typed well not we'll in that last sentence. wtf.

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2018 8:37 PM

[quote]But looking back, he was a kid from rank poverty who wanted to make sure he always had money in his pocket, was deeply insecure, probably bi or gay in that closeted era,

Hi, R88. There was a DL thread about Nick Adams a few years ago. As I recall, "bi or gay" did seem to be the consensus. He had a pretty minor role in Pillow Talk, but I thought he was darn cute dancing with Doris.

by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2018 8:49 PM

Nick Adams = horse cocked hustler Friends included James Dean, Natalie Wood & Robert Wagner, Robert Conrad, and Elvis

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2018 9:50 PM

Without Doris, we'd never have had this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 14, 2018 10:04 PM

If Betty Hutton hadn't gotten knocked up, there might have never been a Doris Day film.

I wonder if Hutton ever thought of that. She didn't get on well with any of her kids.

by Anonymousreply 93January 14, 2018 10:18 PM

I am madly in love with Doris Day. I could listen to her sing a song everyday. And I think that she was excellent when she could be, hard working when the film was crap. And I think her best performances are over looked. Someone mentioned " Storm Warning"- she gives the best performance in the film. She's great in " Pillow Talk", but in " Lover Come Back" she is excellent. And she has an excellent, intelligent rapture with David Niven that produces great chemistry in " Please Don't Eat the Dasies"- wish they had made another smart film together. And I could watched " Pajama Game" anytime. The talent in that film was overwhelming!

- And she stood by her friend- she loves animals and had an excellent relationship with her son in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 94January 14, 2018 10:38 PM

R92 Great clip from her comedy movie, The Glass Bottom Boat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 15, 2018 12:42 AM

Not trying to derail this thread, but Nick Adams was a good friend of Rona Barrett, the "Gossip Queen" of the 70s. In her biography she claimed was was convinced he would be one of the biggest stars, but never really quite made it. She said that he fell in with "a group of salacious homosexuals. Fags can be evil as straights, and this group enjoyed catering to his neuroses, telling him he WAS a superstar. They were like vampires getting their kicks sapping the goodness of his soul. They fed him back with their own poisons." Barrett said that Adams eventually came to hate his wife after being poisoned by the woman hating homos. Obviously Rona Barrett was not exactly a fan of gays.

by Anonymousreply 96January 15, 2018 12:53 AM

OP, don't you have something better to do, like pulling the wings off flies?

by Anonymousreply 97January 15, 2018 1:05 AM

She was godawful in MIDNIGHT LACE & JULIE! The breakdown scene in the former film is kiki worthy one hundred times over!

by Anonymousreply 98January 15, 2018 1:25 AM

Doris was great in almost everything she was in. Her "dramas" usually are overwrought. Whether that is the fault of her ability or her material is up for discussion. Good comedians are hard to find so perhaps it's better she stuck to that.

by Anonymousreply 99January 15, 2018 1:37 AM

Doris' forte was comedy and musicals, but she was great in "Love Me Or Leave Me" and especially in "The Man Who Knew Too Much". I'm amazed how she is able to hold her own against acting powerhouses Cagney and Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 100January 15, 2018 1:42 AM

But her 1960s movies were pretty god awful, except for snippets of hot as hell half naked leading men.

Then there was Jack Lemmon in that train movie

by Anonymousreply 101January 15, 2018 2:10 AM

R96 Rona Barrett was basically in love with herself and yes, she was very homophobic back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 102January 15, 2018 2:17 AM

R83, but Raitt was a much better singer than Keel.

by Anonymousreply 103January 15, 2018 2:34 AM

R101 That was It Happened to Jane with Jack Lemmon, not one of her or his best films. Ernie Kovacs was amusing, however.

Perhaps the worst movie Doris made was Tunnel of Love, mainly because co-star Richard Widmark was not believable as a romantic leading man.

by Anonymousreply 104January 15, 2018 4:11 AM

She did great physical comedy. For examples, find the couple of episodes she did on her TV show with her old friend BIlly Be Wolfe. Laugh out loud funny.

Doris was quoted as saying that she had the most fun working with James Cagney and Gordon MacRae .

R81 -

[quote] She went toe to toe with Grant on Touch of Mink and won.

What's the story about Doris and Grant on "That Touch of Mink"?

by Anonymousreply 105January 15, 2018 4:32 AM

R84 R90 I agree! Nick was very cute and appealing in that dance scene.

by Anonymousreply 106January 15, 2018 8:35 AM

R105 The old Streisand ultimatum of having the better side of your face filmed.

Day and Grant had the same better side so conversations were tough unless you both wanted to have them all the time gazing at the moon.

Day got all of them except one. She walked in and saw the taxi cab scene being set up and she saw where her stand in was. She said nothing but went straight to her trailer. When Grant came in he was called to her dressing room. He was there for an hour and nobody knows what was said. The positions were changed.

by Anonymousreply 107January 15, 2018 11:11 AM

[quote]Day and Grant had the same better side so conversations were tough unless you both wanted to have them all the time gazing at the moon.

That's so funny to hear, because to us mere mortals ...no matter what side of their face.....they were both so unearthly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 108January 15, 2018 12:01 PM

Doris was amazing. This scene alone shows her intense focus and discipline. Other actresses would choose to play it cross-eyed......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 15, 2018 12:59 PM

It Happened To Jane was odd, quirky fun. I like it because though it's definitely in her lesser category of films, it's somewhat un-self-conscious fun because of that. I love Jack Lemmon and Ernie Kovaks (man, did he die far too soon) so that sways me to enjoy it. Somehow Doris is very enjoyable in that less than stellar film; for me it is so much because those two stellar male comedic actors bookend her so well in the film.

by Anonymousreply 110January 15, 2018 1:07 PM

I always thought she was overwrought in her dramas, even "Love Me or Leave Me." But if you want to see her underplayed comic brilliance, just watch the first scene of "Please Don't Eat the Daisies."

by Anonymousreply 111January 15, 2018 1:18 PM

Love Me or Leave Me was ruined by its costume design. More than any other Hollywood film I can think of, the dresses in this one are so far off the mark historically, the entire enterprise is laughable. And this was for an audience that actually remembered Ruth Etting.

by Anonymousreply 112January 15, 2018 1:48 PM

Was it considered lazy of MGM back then to re-use Shakin' the Blues Away when it had been so famously employed by Ann Miller in Easter Parade just a few years earlier?

Admittedly, Doris' version is wonderful but still not as great or memorable as Ann's. Was it actually originally sung by Ruth Etting?

by Anonymousreply 113January 15, 2018 1:52 PM

Yes it was r113.

I don't know if that one was the most period incorrect or not r112. But you just kind of have to let that go as there are SO many others that just went oldie-timie contemporary. Even on Broadway. Here's Ethel in her "period" Rose's Turn frock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 15, 2018 1:56 PM

Ruth's origunal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 15, 2018 1:57 PM

Shake it Ruth...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 15, 2018 1:58 PM

Interesting that as early as 1947, they cleaned up the lyrics.

"Do like the voodoos do listenin' to a voodoo melody"

by Anonymousreply 117January 15, 2018 1:59 PM

Though made at MGM, "Love Me or Leave Me" has Warner's grit with its casting of Cagney and Doris (her first film after leaving Warners).

by Anonymousreply 118January 15, 2018 2:03 PM

Too bad Doris Day wasn't the star of MAME. In 1973, like Lucille Ball, Day also had a sitcom -- but Day could sing!

by Anonymousreply 119January 15, 2018 2:31 PM

Doris was right for neither Dolly nor Mame. She would have been perfection as Miss Forbush.

by Anonymousreply 120January 15, 2018 2:45 PM

Why was she not in " South Pacific " - she would have changed the whole history of the movie. May have yielded her an Oscar nomination!

by Anonymousreply 121January 15, 2018 2:51 PM

Agreed. She would have been wildly wrong for Dolly and Mame.

She would've made a fantastic Mrs. Robinson, however. But she probably knew how important her image. Maybe it was for the best that she declined.

by Anonymousreply 122January 15, 2018 2:52 PM

Had she done The Graduate, she would have won the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 123January 15, 2018 2:53 PM

I still say her not playing Mrs. Robinson was Hollywood's biggest miss. I She would have been so perfect for that role. She wouldn't do the nude scenes, which were hardly necessary for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 124January 15, 2018 2:54 PM

Albert Brooks wrote "Mother" for her, she turned it down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 15, 2018 3:00 PM

From our vantage point in 2018, it is impossible to understand the competing pressures in the 1960's felt by Hollywood stars with established images as the U.S. went through massive cultural upheaval. Looking back on The Graduate, sure Doris should have jumped at the film. But in 1966, when it was in production it would have been a much, much harder choice to make. Doris would have been taken to task viciously for months by movie magazines, women's magazines, and on television by the likes of Fulton Sheen and Art Linkletter.

Mrs. Robinson easily squares with Anne Bancroft's career. It is a complete contrast to anything that Doris did. Was it within her acting ability? Yes. Was it within the scope of her career? No, not at all. She could have played Mrs. Iselin in The Manchurian Candidate, too. It would not have taxed her talent, but it would have screwed up her career.

by Anonymousreply 126January 15, 2018 3:06 PM

Doris wasn't a whore! Anne......

by Anonymousreply 127January 15, 2018 3:18 PM

Mrs. Robinson could've added an entirely different look to the latter part of her career, had she done it and done it well (which I have no doubt she would), it would've been much easier for her to transition into the new American cinema of the 1970s. Instead of being stuck doing a pedestrian, dated (even at the time) sitcom. Doubt that she cared, though...

by Anonymousreply 128January 15, 2018 3:36 PM

In 1966 I think most people still had no idea what changes were ahead for society.

Day was still top 10 box office... why do "The Graduate" and risk it, when the next sparkling comedy might come along.

by Anonymousreply 129January 15, 2018 3:44 PM

Like the sparkling The Ballad of Josie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 15, 2018 3:48 PM

Looking NOT younger than Springtime in Josie.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 15, 2018 3:50 PM

I think all of you who think Doris could have pulled off Mrs. Robinson are out of your minds! She was simply too sunny for such a dark character.

Maybe.....just maybe, she would have been interesting in The Manchurian Candidate. Could the character have a sort of Pat Nixon steeliness? But even there, could she have summoned up the meanness and the anger?

by Anonymousreply 132January 15, 2018 3:50 PM

It is said that R/H wanted to hear Doris sing for South Pacific, but Marty said "No, she doesn't audition...."

So without her even knowing it, she lost out on a great opportunity.....she would have been much better than Mitzi Gaynor. Although Mitzi has said that director Joshua Logan gave her line readings for all of her dialog - maybe that's why she's so bad, she's Josh Logan as Nellie Forbush.

by Anonymousreply 133January 15, 2018 3:52 PM

Josh Logan was Nellie. That's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 134January 15, 2018 3:53 PM

In Josie you can see her attempts at seduction are far more blatant than Mrs. Robinson's were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 15, 2018 3:54 PM

R112" LMOLM was ruined by its costume design."

I checked, and, yes,indeed, the infamous Helen Rose was responsible.

by Anonymousreply 136January 15, 2018 3:56 PM

Although I still think Doris would have been the perfect Mrs R, I would add that Frankenheimer begged Lucille Ball to play Mrs. Iselin in the Manchurian Candidate. Another against character role; I think she would have been excellent.

by Anonymousreply 137January 15, 2018 3:57 PM

In 1961, she was too busy getting her squeaky clean white pussy stretched out by LA Dodger's Maury Wills' big black "bat" to give a fuck about acting. Her close friend Rock Hudson said she never recovered emotionally after she and WIlls split up. This was the beginning of the end for Miss Day, as she seemed to have "given up on life" after he left her. Evidently, Wills was involved with several white female actresses around that time including Tippi Hedren and Grace Kelly. He really got around evidently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138January 15, 2018 3:58 PM

Doris Day's singing voice was internationally famous by the time of South Pacific casting, and Nellie Forbush's songs were squarely within Doris' vocal range.

For goodness sakes, Cloris Leachman replaced Mary Martin on Broadway.

I find it very hard to believe Rodgers would have required a singing audition from Doris. An acting audition......maybe!

by Anonymousreply 139January 15, 2018 4:01 PM

Not sure r139, but I believe Cloris replaced somebody who replaced somebody who replaced Mary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 15, 2018 4:07 PM

Pre-perm Cloris.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 15, 2018 4:09 PM

Day was such a huge star it would have been Doris Day in Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific.

I bet Rodgers didn't like the billing on such a momentous event roadshow picture. Even Oklahoma put its stars underneath the title.

Also a star of Day's rank didn't have to audition.

It would be like expecting Cruise to audition for an action picture.

by Anonymousreply 142January 15, 2018 5:51 PM

Well, perhaps on second thought, Richard Rodgers was so burned by mega-star Frank Sinatra quitting the film of Carousel on the first day of shooting, he was wary of mega-stars.

by Anonymousreply 143January 15, 2018 6:56 PM

Some candid photos of Doris and Cary Grant from the That Touch of Mink shoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 15, 2018 7:18 PM

Back before The Graduate was released, and they were just casting it, there was no way to know it would become an iconic movie. And it wasn't as if Dustin Hoffman was a huge star.

by Anonymousreply 145January 15, 2018 7:21 PM

If they threw in a rollerskating scene, Lucy could've played Mrs. Robinson.

by Anonymousreply 146January 15, 2018 7:53 PM

In R84 clip, Nick Adams looks like he is the height of a seven year old -- and not very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 147January 15, 2018 7:56 PM

I would imagine Doris Day turned down The Graduate long before Dustin Hoffman was cast.

by Anonymousreply 148January 15, 2018 8:41 PM

I would have liked to have seen her in Divorce American Style with Dick Van Dyke.

by Anonymousreply 149January 15, 2018 10:22 PM

[italic]The Sound of Music[/italic] still would have been a hit with her as Maria. In fact, I honestly think Christopher Plummer is the glue that holds it all together; without him I don't think it would have been anywhere near as big as it became. It was he who worked with Ernest Lehman to ensure that Georg Von Trapp became more than just a one-dimensional martinet, especially when Maria was the hard-ass in real life.

[quote] Why was she not in " South Pacific " - she would have changed the whole history of the movie.

She still would have been the only one who wasn't dubbed.

by Anonymousreply 150January 15, 2018 10:27 PM

[quote] I think all of you who think Doris could have pulled off Mrs. Robinson are out of your minds! She was simply too sunny for such a dark character.

If there was one person who would be able to get a tremendous dramatic performance out of Miss Day that would definitely be Mike Nichols - just look at the performances he managed to get out of actresses like Ann Margret, Cher, Natalie Portman, Melanie Griffith, Liz Taylor, Katharine Ross etc. who weren't particularly famous for being "serious" actresses until they worked with him. I think I've read once that he made Liz Taylor rehearse the hell out of her WAOVW role and it was definitely worth it.

I'm pretty sure one of the reason he wanted Day was the sheer shock factor (imagine seeing America's oldest living virgin doing those filthy things on the big screen!) but he probably knew Day could act too, when given the right script and direction.

But I can totally imagine Day clashing with Nichols - unlike her other films, The Graduate was definitely not written as another silly "The Doris Day Hour" romcom. She'd probably have problems with Nichols ordering her around, the lack of costume changes and having someone else sing the songs on the soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 151January 15, 2018 10:31 PM

One wonders whether Marty Melcher was the culprit in costing her more substantial roles.

by Anonymousreply 152January 15, 2018 10:40 PM

You really wonder what the fascination is these hard working ambitious intelligent career women have for these loser men who are physically ugly as well.

by Anonymousreply 153January 15, 2018 10:46 PM

I was staying at the Cypress Inn back in 2005 (Doris's hotel in Carmel) and was out on the patio with my 2 little dogs.

Was reading the paper, drinking coffee and not paying attention and someone started talking to my dogs. It was Doris! I was literally speechless- and I've been to awards shows, great parties and seen many celebrities.

I think it was the combination of her changed appearance (not that she looked bad) and just growing up with her movies. Doris was just lovely. She sent my dogs 2 beef patties in silver bowls- so cute.

I will always worship her.

by Anonymousreply 154January 15, 2018 10:47 PM

[R12] Apparently Doris Day has declined the offer of an honorary Oscar in the past and has a fear of flying so won't attend any ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 155January 15, 2018 10:50 PM

Debbie Reynolds kept marrying loser pigs too.

by Anonymousreply 156January 15, 2018 10:50 PM

"the Graduate" would have been a good test of how far she could go beyond her comfort zone. Mrs. Robinson is an emotionally brittle woman in an unhappy marriage with a drinking problem.. Although Benjamin and Mrs. Robinson have the most prominent parts, it's essentially more of an ensemble cast than her other stuff--no Thelma Ritter playing off of her. The humor is very ironic and deadpan.

by Anonymousreply 157January 15, 2018 10:51 PM

The talk of DD as Mrs. Robinson got me to thinking of other image-shattering roles she could have taken on later in the game.

Imagine if she was lured out of retirement to play Mrs. Voorhees, Jason's mother, in Friday the 13th. I can absolutely imagine her in Betsy Palmer's cable-knit sweater hacking up horny camp counselors.

Her character is a late entrant to the film, essentially in a single action-packed scene, so I think she could have done the entire shoot in a couple of days. It would have been movie magic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158January 15, 2018 10:54 PM

You take that back r147!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159January 15, 2018 10:54 PM

Doris wouldn't need to fly to LA- it's a 6 hour drive.

by Anonymousreply 160January 15, 2018 10:56 PM

I think Doris Day stands a good chance of being the last big star standing from old Hollywood. I would be surprised if Kirk Douglas or Olivia De Havilland outlived her.

by Anonymousreply 161January 15, 2018 10:58 PM

"I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin" -- Oscar Levant

by Anonymousreply 162January 15, 2018 11:04 PM

Well r150, I'm thinking Dell thought Doris was going to get the role when they came out with their paperback of Maria's book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163January 15, 2018 11:07 PM

I wonder why they don't give her the honorary Oscar at her house and televise it. They could even do it somewhere in her hotel if there's more space.

I don't believe it's that she won't accept it, I believe she just won't leave Carmel.

Does she still do a radio broadcast on her birthday?

by Anonymousreply 164January 15, 2018 11:21 PM

I heard she's a secret carpet muncher

by Anonymousreply 165January 15, 2018 11:32 PM

Didn't they do that for Myrna Loy, r164? I think they built up a lot of hoopla around it, and then all she said was, "Thank you." At least as I recall it.

by Anonymousreply 166January 15, 2018 11:34 PM

She won't accept, and that's the end if it.

by Anonymousreply 167January 15, 2018 11:36 PM

She doesn't want it r164.....

by Anonymousreply 168January 15, 2018 11:39 PM

She'll accept. She accepted the Golden Globe special award in 1989.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 15, 2018 11:45 PM

That was 1989. She was younger then, and she had just done a TV show for CBN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 15, 2018 11:53 PM

[quote]She would have been perfection as Miss Forbush.

Could she have done Annie Oakley? I mean Calamity Jane was sort of a low-budget version of the same genre.

by Anonymousreply 171January 15, 2018 11:54 PM

[quote] She still would have been the only one who wasn't dubbed.

Ahem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172January 15, 2018 11:58 PM

She did a studio recording with Mr. Goulet r171.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173January 16, 2018 12:00 AM

Anything You Can Do......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174January 16, 2018 12:02 AM

Doris enjoys being a girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175January 16, 2018 12:05 AM

That "Best Friends" show was a mess. I remember how in one segment Doris went to interview Joan Fontaine and barely even managed to pretend she was listening to Joan's yapping. And then Joan (the pompous ass that she was) proceeded to tell Doris how she has to thank her for having a career in the first place or something like that, which made Doris bulge her eyes out.

Does anyone have that clip?

by Anonymousreply 176January 16, 2018 12:10 AM

I had that Annie Get Your Gun album when I was a kid and listened to it constantly.

Imagine my surprise when I became a grown up theatre queen and first heard Ethel Merman sing the score as Irving Berlin intended it!!

by Anonymousreply 177January 16, 2018 12:11 AM

So it was Doris and Kaye like Julie and Carol?

There is always the femme and the butch.

by Anonymousreply 178January 16, 2018 12:39 AM

Rodgers didn't ask her to audition.....he asked Marty to have Doris sing at a party.....Marty said no.....Doris didn't even know about it. Marty used the word "audition", not Rodgers. I think she talks about it on her TCM voiceover when they did a bumper about her movie career.....

by Anonymousreply 179January 16, 2018 1:29 AM

R176 Here you go. It's not really as bad as you made it sound but Miss Fontaine really was pretty full of herself. And Doris looked great here. This must have been filmed shortly after she had her facelift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180January 16, 2018 2:02 AM

I think a part of the public's affection for Doris is that she got out on her own terms.

Unlike many of the other actresses of what might be termed Hollywood's Golden Age, she clearly had a life outside of show biz. She was not so desperate to "work" as those who kept on keeping on way past the date they should have.

Olivia is another of those.

Don't most people want to know that their senior years would be positive ones, rather than, as some actresses have done, producing grotesque parodies of their younger selves?

Good for you, Doris.

Enjoy Your Life.

by Anonymousreply 181January 16, 2018 2:03 AM

SHE'S SQUARE AND SHE HAS BAD TASTE!

by Anonymousreply 182January 16, 2018 7:12 AM

She probably feels that an Honorary Oscar is patronising considering the Academy never recoginsed her when she was working.

by Anonymousreply 183January 16, 2018 12:10 PM

r181, I am thankful that Olivia de Havilland kept on working.

Otherwise, DL would not have this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184January 16, 2018 12:36 PM

Thank goodness Doris didn't do any horror films.

If of course you discount Where Were You When the Lights Went Out.

by Anonymousreply 185January 16, 2018 1:00 PM

Doris got 'stretched' by Willy Mays!

by Anonymousreply 186January 16, 2018 1:23 PM

[quote] SHE'S SQUARE AND SHE HAS BAD TASTE!

She's not the one who has to answer for [italic]Trog[/italic], [italic]Wicked Stepmother[/italic], or any of the lesser disaster movies of Irwin Allen (i.e. the ones that were so bad, even Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn wouldn't write love songs for them!).

by Anonymousreply 187January 16, 2018 1:27 PM

R187 I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I think those 6 six movies Doris was forced to do by her hubby are worse than any hag horror Bette or Joan ever did. At least those are entertaining, in a car wreck sort of way, while Doris' movies like "Where Were You When The Lights Went Out" don't have a single redeeming feature. OK, I'm lying - I did like the cheesy theme song in WWYWTLWO, which surprisingly wasn't sung by Doris.

Doris also admitted she hated doing those movies herself in her ghost-written autobiography.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188January 16, 2018 1:31 PM

Decades ago, the Wildwood bar on Columbus was second home to a crazy queen who had the "real" scoop on Hollywood stars. He c claimed after Doris left "legit' films, she made 'artistic' porno films outdoors in the Mojave desert.

by Anonymousreply 189January 16, 2018 1:34 PM

I hope she used plenty of sunscreen r189, she certainly didn't need any more freckles!

by Anonymousreply 190January 16, 2018 1:44 PM

Marty Melcher probably cost her [italic]South Pacific[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 191January 16, 2018 2:09 PM

I don't think the Annie songs fit her voice very well. They were written for a belt. Doris had a big band/jazz style. Little to no vibrato, more head voice like June Christie and Anita O'Day.

by Anonymousreply 192January 16, 2018 2:20 PM

I used to watch the Doris Day show on TV in the early 70's. I don't recall the episode, but the story goes, she once brought her old friend Peter Lawford on the show to guest star. Probably out of pity since he hadn't worked in years save for a game show now and then. Sadly, by this point, after a life of heavy partying, his brain was so ravaged by drugs and alcohol he couldn't remember his lines. The producers jumped in and made the writers give him just one or two words to say and he could still barely remember them. They somehow got through through shooting his parts after a multitude of takes. I'm sure Doris was saddened and maybe a bit embarrassed for the trouble her decision to bring him on the show caused for the production despite her good intentions.

by Anonymousreply 193January 16, 2018 2:24 PM

[quote] I don't think the Annie songs fit her voice very well. They were written for a belt. Doris had a big band/jazz style. Little to no vibrato, more head voice like June Christie and Anita O'Day.

Would she have taken the role of Miss Hannigan if they had asked her? Playing a villain would have given her that kind of challenge and it could have restarted her acting career anew.

by Anonymousreply 194January 16, 2018 2:28 PM

Oh goodness, r194!

Peter Lawford is a DL thread in himself. Has he ever had one? From young MGM god to pathetic overaged hippie.

by Anonymousreply 195January 16, 2018 2:30 PM

Peter Lawford's godawful toupee deserves its own thread too:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196January 16, 2018 2:33 PM

She did stretch herself as an actress. She played a pert and prim blonde whose best color was pink in some movies, and in other movies she played a pert and prim blonde whose best color was blue.

by Anonymousreply 197January 16, 2018 2:34 PM

[quote]Don't most people want to know that their senior years would be positive ones, rather than, as some actresses have done, producing grotesque parodies of their younger selves?

A girl has got to pay the bills, dahling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198January 16, 2018 2:48 PM

By many accounts of those who worked with her, such as Norman Jewison, she was insecure as an actress. She had absolutely no training in acting and had learnt on the job. Her likability and generally real reactions to film situations usually carried the day (no pun intended). Apparently that insecurity continues because, even at her present age, most accounts indicate that she is genuinely surprised at the continuing interest in her, her music and films.

by Anonymousreply 199January 16, 2018 2:52 PM

Was it Andre Previn who wrote in his book that Miss Day once had members of orchestra who were wearing black shirts thrown from the studio where they were recording an album together? Apparently she REALLY hated black shirts for some reason.

That's the only nasty diva story I've ever heard about her.

by Anonymousreply 200January 16, 2018 2:56 PM

Doesn't she call into right wing radio shows and parrot the #MAGA Ronald Reagan BS?

by Anonymousreply 201January 16, 2018 3:06 PM

Yeah, Doris not doing South Pacific is probably right up there with Julie Andrews not doing My Fair Lady in my opinion.. a shame, as both would have been great additional hallmarks to their careers

by Anonymousreply 202January 16, 2018 3:14 PM

I'm sure if Richard Rodgers wanted Doris Day in South Pacific she would have been in it.

by Anonymousreply 203January 16, 2018 4:15 PM

Richard Rodgers wanted to be in Doris Day more than he wanted Doris Day to be in South Pacific.

by Anonymousreply 204January 16, 2018 4:17 PM

r193 Peter Lawford had a recurring role as her doctor/boyfriend and was in 8 episodes, so your story seems to be full of misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 205January 16, 2018 4:20 PM

R194, Doris would have been about as rotten as Miss Hannigan as Carol Burnett was in the role.

Now... if Liz Taylor had put on her old Virginia Woolf wig and one of Dorothy Loudon's Hannigan costumes, just add a bottle of scotch and she would have been GREAT kicking all those little girls.

by Anonymousreply 206January 16, 2018 11:32 PM

Holy fuck, Liz as Miss Hannigan would have been incredible.

by Anonymousreply 207January 16, 2018 11:39 PM

WHOA - I swear there was a post here in this thread that talked about 2 actresses who allegedly slept with everyone to get parts - now I cannot find it = one name as Shirley Jones, oddly enough - who was the other actress?

by Anonymousreply 208January 16, 2018 11:43 PM

She should have been nominated for an Oscar for "Love Me or Leave Me"--that was the best serious work she ever did.

She tended to overact usually when she did serious roles (as in "The Man Who Knew Too Much" or "Midnight Lace"), but "Love Me or Leave Me" was the rare time she was excellent in a serious part. She was often fine in comic parts, but they didn't have the same heft.

by Anonymousreply 209January 16, 2018 11:46 PM

r209, do you think acting opposite Jimmy Cagney helped get the best out of DD?

It's my favorite of all his performances.

by Anonymousreply 210January 16, 2018 11:52 PM

Doris really wanted to be a dancer, but I think an early accident stifled that dream.

Even so, she does a good job opposite Gene Nelson in "Lullaby of Broadways" along with other Warner Brothers musicals during those early years of her movie career.

There are more than one dancing clip of Doris on Youtube. Here's "Somebody Loves Me" from Lullaby of Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 16, 2018 11:59 PM

R208 I remember that post too. Are you sure it was in this thread? There were 3 women referenced - Shirley Jones, Jessica Lange and ??? (The subject of the thread was not named but implied.)

by Anonymousreply 212January 17, 2018 12:00 AM

Would love to see a biography of her early like. She was physically abused by one of her husbands when she was pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 213January 17, 2018 12:13 AM

^ Dame Judith Anderson.

She was even on her knees even for the role in Star Trek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214January 17, 2018 12:13 AM

[quote] [R209], do you think acting opposite Jimmy Cagney helped get the best out of DD?

Yes, I think that's the major reason.

Also, she got to not just act but also sing some wonderful songs, including the title song and "Ten Cents a Dance" and "Shakin' the Blues Away." The latter is my favorite number she ever did in a movie--it's staged so nicely, and she gets to show off her great body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 17, 2018 12:29 AM

R200, she did some recordings with, I think, only Previn s piano that were wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 216January 17, 2018 1:08 AM

[quote] R193 Peter Lawford had a recurring role as her doctor/boyfriend and was in 8 episodes, so your story seems to be full of misinformation.

Whoa, R193 totally busted! Lol.

by Anonymousreply 217January 17, 2018 1:15 AM

[quote][R200], she did some recordings with, I think, only Previn s piano that were wonderful.

That album is fantastic. Here's "Wait Till You See Him," one of the nicest songs. (But it's hard to choose, as they're all great.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218January 17, 2018 1:20 AM

The scene where she tells Cagney there's no way she can pay him for what he's given her and he says 'oh isn't there?' and attempts to force himself on her is certainly resonant for today. And I understand they had to edit it to make it less violent but it's pretty shocking none the less.

by Anonymousreply 219January 17, 2018 3:15 AM

Debbie Reynolds is so perfect in Mother. I can't imagine Day, as much as I love her, doing that part justice.

by Anonymousreply 220January 17, 2018 4:34 AM

Doris was 'stretched' by Willy Mays!

by Anonymousreply 221January 17, 2018 6:32 AM

[quote] Holy fuck, Liz as Miss Hannigan would have been incredible.

Except for a little movie called [italic]A Little Night Music[/italic], which wasn't so incredible.

by Anonymousreply 222January 17, 2018 6:40 AM

[quote][R194], Doris would have been about as rotten as Miss Hannigan as Carol Burnett was in the role.

So not rotten at all basically?

by Anonymousreply 223January 17, 2018 6:42 AM

Desiree Armfeldt relates to Miss Hannigan exactly how?

by Anonymousreply 224January 17, 2018 11:28 AM

MIDNIGHT LACE is gonna be on TCM tonight (at 10:15 PM).

by Anonymousreply 225January 17, 2018 1:14 PM

Doris with her old nose! She had one of the best nose jobs in Old Hollywood done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226January 17, 2018 6:29 PM

When did she have the nose done? She has the new one in her first movie.

by Anonymousreply 227January 17, 2018 9:48 PM

Doris Day was Mike Nichol’s first choice for Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate. She turned him down. Though it would ruin her wholesome image. He gave the part to Anne Bancroft.

I think she was conservative. Both in her ideas and in protecting her “image.” In retrospect we can say she missed an iconic part. But she knew her audience wanted to see her as the wholesome, girl next door.

by Anonymousreply 228January 17, 2018 10:06 PM

I find it very odd that Mike Nichols went from Doris Day to Anne Bancroft. Whatever you think of either casting choices, the two actresses couldn't have been more different.

by Anonymousreply 229January 18, 2018 12:43 AM

He realized he would have to look at whores to cast the part.

by Anonymousreply 230January 18, 2018 12:46 AM

Mr. Nichols was obviously capable of thinking both inside and outside the box r299........

by Anonymousreply 231January 18, 2018 1:04 AM

There is a similarity in the velvety voice. Bancroft's Mrs. Robinson sort of sounds like a jaded, cunning Doris Day.

by Anonymousreply 232January 18, 2018 2:10 AM

Doris never had to reduce herself to smut.

by Anonymousreply 233January 18, 2018 2:13 AM

Her nose looks the same to me.

by Anonymousreply 234January 18, 2018 2:25 AM

I think she definitely had her nose thinned. Nothing too drastic but the nose she has in her early movies looks somewhat different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235January 18, 2018 2:34 AM

That could be just lighting and angle, R235, Her nose looks the same in this early pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236January 18, 2018 2:40 AM

I told Mr. Nichols “If you’re lookin’ for someone to play an old whore, then I’m your gal!”. He never returned my call.

by Anonymousreply 237January 18, 2018 2:44 AM

Doris' dad caused quite a scandal back in the day when he married a woman of color. Apparently Doris wasn't happy about that (even though she was rumored to love black cocks herself).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238January 18, 2018 3:08 AM

He married Aunt Esther?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239January 18, 2018 3:12 AM

I read somewhere she turned Nurse Ratchett in Cuckoo’s Nest as well.

by Anonymousreply 240January 18, 2018 3:15 AM

^turned down the role of..

by Anonymousreply 241January 18, 2018 3:16 AM

I forgot to mention that Day's parents divorced because her father cheated on her mom when Doris was still in her early teens. There are also no photos of Doris with her dad around so I'm guessing they weren't on best terms. Marrying a black woman was probably just the final straw.

But I do love this pic of Doris with her other family members. It's funny how they all had to stand behind her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242January 18, 2018 3:22 AM

She was too busy stretching...her butthole?

by Anonymousreply 243January 18, 2018 3:23 AM

R242 I read Doris's autobiography and she didn't have anything against her father marrying a black woman. In fact she met her father and his (black) wife at her home one day.

What she didn't like was that her father was not faithful to her mother and they finally had to divorce.

by Anonymousreply 244January 18, 2018 3:33 AM

You mean biography, R244, not autobiography, right?

by Anonymousreply 245January 18, 2018 4:02 AM

I seem to remember her saying that he had started out as a racist years before so she was delighted that he had evolved and married a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 246January 18, 2018 11:38 AM

Doris as "Mrs. Robinson" would have been interesting. Too bad Gary Morton talked her out of it -- saying there was no way to work in a scene where Mrs. Robison models during a fashion show.

(Yes, when Doris's own husband, who was also known for bad career advice, died, Doris came rely on Lucy's husband, who was even better at giving bad career advice.)

by Anonymousreply 247January 18, 2018 1:14 PM

Here's the infamous interview Barbara Walters did with Doris. I love that part where Doris advises young women to have premarital sex. I can't imagine how shocked 1970's fraus were to hear their favorite onscreen virgin talk like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248January 18, 2018 1:25 PM

If only Doris had replaced Judy when she tanked during Valley of the Dolls. Imagine what Doris could have done with "I'll Plant My Own Tree" and a plexiglass mobile.

by Anonymousreply 249January 18, 2018 1:26 PM

Here's the second part in which Barbara gets pretty annoyed by Doris. Doris was promoting her "autobiography" here but it's obvious that she doesn't even know the contents of the book very well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250January 18, 2018 1:27 PM

R248 What a strange manner of dress and that hat for this interview.

by Anonymousreply 251January 18, 2018 1:31 PM

[quote] Imagine what Doris could have done with "I'll Plant My Own Tree" and a plexiglass mobile.

Doris was known to be quite a perfectionist so at least she would have someone wipe the filthy fingerprints off the mobile.

by Anonymousreply 252January 18, 2018 1:36 PM

R55,He's lucky he didn't fall off that banister and crack his crown!

by Anonymousreply 253January 21, 2018 4:30 PM

R218 is one of those recordings made before they had figured out how to use two channels.

by Anonymousreply 254January 21, 2018 5:01 PM

She really skirts the question "Did you have affairs with black men?" in R248 clip, doesn't she?

by Anonymousreply 255January 21, 2018 5:13 PM

Barbara Walters was the worst television journalist of all time until we got CNN and msnbc.

by Anonymousreply 256January 21, 2018 5:15 PM

That interview is pretty funny. It's as if she never read her own book -- and recalls nothing of the interviews she gave the author.

I do love how she wants to be all sugar when asked about people, only to have Barbara said, "That's not what you said in the book!"

by Anonymousreply 257January 21, 2018 5:19 PM

I've recently been getting into Doris as a singer, and to me she is underrated. She had a great bluesy quality when she was singing standards like "Sentimental Journey" and "Shakin' the Blues Away" vs. perky pap like "Que Sera Sera." She's said that she tried to pattern her singing style after Ella Fitzgerald's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258January 21, 2018 5:39 PM

She was offered the lead in Sounder but turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 259January 21, 2018 5:41 PM

I adore Doris but her Christmas album remains painl to listen to - the vibrato is so pronounced and ON PURPOSE it ruins every song.

by Anonymousreply 260January 21, 2018 6:25 PM

Just watched her in "Midnight Lace" from TMC . She plays a woman being stalked. I thought it would be cheesy but boy Doris was fantastic. She was nominated for the Golden Globe but she was robbed of an Oscar nomination. Sad to think Elizabeth Taylor won for the ridiculous "Butterfield 8"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261January 21, 2018 6:28 PM

She ended her movie career in the film With Six You Get Eggroll playing a woman her own age and had sparkling scenes with her male co-star Brian Keith. A light, realistic comedy, not silly fluff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262January 22, 2018 2:09 AM

Mamie Van Doren, who worked with Day said "she's not like the characters she plays." She sure wasn't! But then fans always think an actor's persona is really what they are in real life and of course that isn't true. Doris Day was no virgin and no little Miss Sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 263January 22, 2018 2:26 AM

R262 That was also the film debut of Barbara Seagull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264January 22, 2018 2:27 AM

Doris was always good at physical comedy.

I've always seen the drunk scene in "That Touch of Mink" to be very funny.

by Anonymousreply 265January 22, 2018 2:29 AM

[quote]R249 If only Doris had replaced Judy when she tanked during Valley of the Dolls. Imagine what Doris could have done with "I'll Plant My Own Tree" and a plexiglass mobile.

Although she never played an unpleasant character in her life...so that was beyond her.

It's like saying, "Imagine how great Thelma Ritter would have been in MUSICALS...if she could sing and dance!!!"

by Anonymousreply 266January 22, 2018 2:34 AM

R237 , I think you are confusing her With Ava Gardner, who also , wanted The part.

by Anonymousreply 267January 22, 2018 3:42 AM

I still can't believe that I read in Etta James' autobiography that Doris and Sly Stone were an item.

by Anonymousreply 268January 22, 2018 4:06 AM

R261. Hogwash. Day's clothes in the silly MIDNIGHT LACE are better than her okay-ish performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 22, 2018 4:15 AM

[quote]That was also the film debut of Barbara Seagull.

I met Barbara Hershey and told I had been a fan since a kid when I saw her in "With Six You get Eggroll", not a bad little comedy with a cast like Day, Brian Kieth, George Carlin and Pat Carroll. She actually rolled her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 270January 22, 2018 9:40 AM

R270 What a cunt! Next time tell her that you enjoyed seeing her getting gang-banged and flashing her titties to Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ. Maybe that will make her happy.

by Anonymousreply 271January 22, 2018 9:53 AM

R270 That's sad to hear. I love Miss Hershey but she has always struck me as a very cold and humorless person who considers herself to be a great artiste.

by Anonymousreply 272January 22, 2018 12:35 PM

She rolled her eyes?! BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 273January 23, 2018 1:37 AM

I liked the pairing of Doris with Brian Keith in "With Six You Get Eggroll".

Attractive people of a similar age. And Doris, a widow, is running the business after her husband died. She is smart and confident and busy. A good role model for women of that age.

by Anonymousreply 274January 23, 2018 1:41 AM

CAPRICE looks like it is a horrible film. Doris should not have gotten so much sun.

by Anonymousreply 275January 23, 2018 1:45 AM

"Oh, Miss Hershey, I've loved you since I was a little boy! "

by Anonymousreply 276January 23, 2018 1:51 AM

[quote] CAPRICE looks like it is a horrible film.

Caprice IS a horrible film. Worse than you can imagine. And worse again than that.

Story is Doris read the script and said to her husband "Boy, am I glad I don't have to do this junk." And he said, "Yes, you do."

by Anonymousreply 277January 23, 2018 1:56 AM

Worse than WWYWTLWO?

I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 278January 23, 2018 3:19 AM

Barbara Seagull rolled her eyes at me, too.

by Anonymousreply 279January 23, 2018 4:16 AM

[quote] but got an Oscar for one of her few A pictures which had a goo director & script and a strong cast.

Why couldn't I have a goo director??!!

by Anonymousreply 280January 23, 2018 4:19 AM

What was it about Doris and all the tanning in her later years?! I've never seen her show but in all the clips and photostills she looks positively orange. Was this a popular look back then or did she think a darker complexion is gonna help her hide all the wrinkles on her face?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281January 23, 2018 5:21 AM

Barbara, I saw you in Beaches. What did you do to your fucking lips?

by Anonymousreply 282January 23, 2018 6:28 AM

"Miss Herzstein, I loved you in that movie where you get fucked by a ghost...Can I have your autograph?"

by Anonymousreply 283January 23, 2018 6:31 AM

That explains it. A Jewess.

by Anonymousreply 284January 23, 2018 6:36 AM

Ummm

Because she wasn’t an “actress”.

She was an entertainer.

She was excruciating when she tried to “act”.

by Anonymousreply 285January 23, 2018 7:09 AM

The most fabulous 5 seconds in TV history - overly tanned Doris coming down the spiral staircase, immediately followed by the legendary TRIPLE ZOOM on her face.

I'm pretty sure the opening titles of her TV show turned thousands of small boys gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286January 23, 2018 6:25 PM

r286 wow, she looks [italic] very [/italic] oompa-loompa!!

And the zooms might give me a seizure.

by Anonymousreply 287January 23, 2018 6:35 PM

[quote]What was it about Doris and all the tanning in her later years?! I've never seen her show but in all the clips and photostills she looks positively orange. Was this a popular look back then or did she think a darker complexion is gonna help her hide all the wrinkles on her face?

It wasn't a tan as much as make-up. Most people don't know her face is covered in freckles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288January 24, 2018 12:48 AM

[quote]Miss Herzstein, I loved you in that movie where you get fucked by a ghost...Can I have your autograph?"

I actually have the blu-ray steelcase signed by her! It has her nude in the inside and I said "Don't open it it" and she laughed and said "I've seen it!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289January 24, 2018 12:52 AM

I asked if she was named after the Hershey Highway and the bitch was rude!

by Anonymousreply 290January 24, 2018 1:08 AM

Yea R281 It was a look. Doris was lucky to get out of the business before the white highlighter around the eye area swept through town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291February 26, 2018 3:42 AM

Doris Day in Caprice, the movie that she did NOT want to do, but her husband had power of attorney and already signed on the dotted line for her to do it. Husky, handsome Richard Harris was her male co-star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292February 26, 2018 4:25 AM

The fashion clothes for Caprice were extremely mod and almost over the top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293February 26, 2018 4:29 AM

Hanging from an overhead terrace in Caprice which was a spy spoof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294February 26, 2018 4:32 AM

Doris had great chemistry with Rose Marie who co-starred on her show for a couple of seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 26, 2018 4:37 AM

R291, I think that's Evelyn Kuhn, one of my faves.

by Anonymousreply 296February 26, 2018 5:03 AM

R286, And still does today, thanks to reruns and the DVD boxed set.

by Anonymousreply 297February 26, 2018 5:22 AM

Doris on with Johnny in 1974, just after her breast implants, braless and both nipples at attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298February 26, 2018 5:26 AM

She's dead

by Anonymousreply 299February 26, 2018 5:54 AM

Shut up R299!

by Anonymousreply 300February 26, 2018 9:54 AM

Seems she didn't want to make a lot of pictures. If it weren't for her husband she'd have been a housewife.

by Anonymousreply 301February 26, 2018 11:35 AM

Wow the swinging 70's, she really was hanging out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302February 26, 2018 11:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!