Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Leonardo DiCaprio to Star in Quentin Tarantino's Manson Movie

[quote]While exact plot details are being kept under wraps, the movie has been described as a 1969-set ensemble piece that in some way involves Manson and the murder of Sharon Tate. Tarantino will produce, along with David Heyman and Shannon McIntosh. Several big-name stars are still circling the secretive project, with Margot Robbie and Tom Cruise being eyed for big roles. After a heated bidding war, Sony picked up the rights to the feature back in November. The studio has set an Aug. 9, 2019, release date. That day also marks the 50th anniversary of the murders of Tate and her friends by the followers of Manson. Sony declined to comment on the most recent casting news. DiCaprio hasn't been seen on the big screen since his Oscar-winning turn in The Revenant, but has lined up numerous high-profile projects, including a reunion with longtime collaborator Martin Scorsese for a Teddy Roosevelt biopic at Paramount. The actor is repped by LBI and Hansen Jacobson.

Release date is Sharon's death? Tacky. Very tacky.

I wonder TC will be playing Roman Polanski? He's short, dark, and has the nose for it. And, no doubt Tom believes he passes for 36.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2019 2:20 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2018 5:02 AM

That's a genuine pity. DiCaprio took away from me all those Scorsese movies and now looks set to do the same with Tarantino.

Even before learning what a smug hypocritical asshole he was, from Titanic onward I never could stand his face. I'll not watch anything with him on the screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2018 5:12 AM

Thought gay Leo was also to play in some JFK movie based on a book by Lamar Waldron? The one that had to do with the New Orleans angle of Carlos Marcello.

by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2018 5:26 AM

This seems kind of violent and sinful for Tammy Cruise

by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2018 5:29 AM

Ya better act your asses off, DiCaprio, Robbie and Cruise. I'm not fooling.

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2018 6:14 AM

I liked Leo in Django, a lot. I'm still flabbergasted that neither he nor Samuel L Jackson received Oscar noms for the film over Christoph Waltz. They are probably the most subversive performances either of them ever gave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2018 7:09 AM

I liked Jamie Fox's performance, but I agree that DiCaprio as Candy was really amazing. He really took a chance with that and it worked.

Poor old Sam Jackson ruined whatever popularity he had with his own people by his brave portrayal of Candy's majordomo Stephen. I have friends who will never forgive him for it.

by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2018 9:28 AM

Some people will never forgive him? But it was so fucking true to life, the world is full of Stephens who will kiss ass and lie and grab whatever sad little bits of power are available to them!

Anyway! Am not pleased to see DuCaprio in this film, he's not that great an actor and most of the principal's in this story were decades younger than he is now.

by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2018 10:36 AM

I don’t not watch Scorsese films because of LDC, it is inspire of him being in them. My least favorite working actor. Silence was literally a gift.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2018 7:27 PM

“Inspite” of his being in them. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2018 7:28 PM

I don’t think it’s appeopriate Tarantino directs this film. He’s known for glorified violence. This would be like a director known for lurid sex comedies directing a film about a true life rape. Sharon Tate’s murder was horrific.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2018 8:42 PM

I funny agree R11!

Excessive violence has almost become a tired shtick with Tarantino. Like women and men who wear more and more sexy clothes bc they try to distract from the fact that they are not talented.

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2018 8:57 PM

Hollywood still thinks movies about the degenerate Manson shamily are a good idea lol.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2018 9:00 PM

[quote]Like women and men who wear more and more sexy clothes bc they try to distract from the fact that they are not talented.

Is there a part for me in it?

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2018 9:03 PM

Isn’t DiCaprio Robert F. Kennedy in the upcoming The Irishman? I read that a while back. It’s a Hoffa biopic.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2018 9:08 PM

*I fully agree [R11]!

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2018 9:12 PM

Apparently this movie is not a retelling of the murders, but is a portrait Los Angeles at that time. The film it is reportedly most like is Pulp Fiction.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2018 9:36 PM

Another movie on my do not see list. DiCaprio is NOT a good actor and doesn't have the looks to be a "movie star." No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2018 9:37 PM

The description of this movie reads "A TV actor and his stunt double embark on an odyssey to make a name for themselves in the film industry during the Charles Manson murders in 1969 Los Angeles. " I hope that DCaprio is playing a studio executive or something, because he's too damn old to be playing someone who sets out to make a name for themselves in 1969. It was the era of "Never trust anyone over 30", and he's 43 by his count.

To be 43 in 1969 was to be considered a square, part of the old guard, irrelevant, and with good odds of actually being a grandfather. men of 43 didn't set out to be wannabe actors back then, and if Tarantino doesn't understand that then he's not going to understand the LA of 1969.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2018 3:10 PM

Jamie Foxx is soooooooooo racist

by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2018 3:31 PM

Tarantino's movies are generally among the most well-cast of the last two decades in Hollywood. I think he'll do just fine.

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2018 3:32 PM

I thought Leo is playing an aging actor? I am not sure what Tom Cruise could believably play

by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2018 3:34 PM

R11 I was just thinking the same thing, but after some consideration I really doubt a script that is blatantly exploitative and disrespectful would get green-lit. Hollywood may be a seedy place, but even they have standards. Sharon's mother is still alive, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2018 4:57 PM

[quote]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2018 5:04 PM

Maybe Tom Cruise is Polanski? He has the right rat face and short stature

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2018 5:29 PM

DiCaprio is an awful adult actor.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2018 5:42 PM

R23

Only Sharon's sister Debra is living and she's dealing with breast cancer. Sharon's parents and baby sister Patti Tate have all passed away. Sharon btw would have turned 75 on January 24th had she not been murdered almost 50 yrs ago.

None of today's current actresses have Sharon's great beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2018 5:48 PM

Hollywood at it again: the celebration of the murder of innocent victims. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2018 6:09 PM

I am guessing Leo as aging actor, Brad as stuntman, Cruise as Polanski

by Anonymousreply 29January 15, 2018 6:11 PM

[quote]. I initially called him an aging actor, when I raced to break the story. What he plays, more specifically, is an actor who had his own Western show, Bounty Law, that ran on the air from 1958 to 1963. His attempt to transition to movies didn’t work out and in 1969 — the film is set at the height of hippy Hollywood movement– he’s guesting on other people’s shows while contemplating going to Italy which has become a hotbed for low-budget Westerns. The movie, a Pulp Fiction-esque tapestry of Los Angeles during the summer of the Manson murders, will now get busy with casting (Margot Robbie was asked to play Sharon Tate, as I’ve reported, but there isn’t a deal yet). I’d keep an eye on Tom Cruise, who might well surface as the other big male superstar in Tarantino’s film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2018 1:40 AM

The only film that Tom Cruise really surprised me in, and he was actually good, was Tropic Thunder.

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2018 1:58 AM

^^^^link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2018 2:00 AM

I don’t think Tom would ever play Polanski. He is such a goody two shoes and I could only see him playing a cop or something where he can be heroic.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2018 3:16 AM

Tom played villains in Collateral and Lions For Lambs and an MRA in Magnolia.

He's desperate for an in. His non-MI films sink.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2018 3:21 AM

R33

He's a goody two shoes ? Cruise, the man who collects the artwork created by murderer John Wayne Gacy ?

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2018 3:27 AM

What? Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2018 4:23 AM

I don't expect Cruise to appear in this film. Little Tommy is notorious for interfering with scripts and the production, demanding everything be changed to make his character look better or to reflect Clam ideology, and Tarantino doesn't let his actors pull that kind of bullshit.

Of course if that was the only way to get it funded he might bite the bullet, but after the failure of "The Mummy" Cruise isn't the funding magnet he was.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2018 4:56 AM

R33 Clearly you missed his Oscar nominated role in "Magnolia." Never has there been such an unlikable sleazebag character on screen.

You gotta give Tom props for NOT taking only the good guy roles. His turn in Tropic Thunder is another gem.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2018 5:04 AM

[quote] You gotta give Tom props for NOT taking only the good guy roles. His turn in Tropic Thunder is another gem.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he did that the same year Travolta did [italic]Hairspray[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2018 5:09 AM

Here are the most recent pics from Once Upon a Time in Hollywwod.

You remember that it is not centered on the Mansons murders, but rather a fresque about Holywood when it was morphing from one era to another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2019 2:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!