Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actor Charles Rocket Committed Suicide By Slicing His Own Throat In His Back Yard In 2005?

Holy shit. I remember him. They didn't think it was suspicious. Who doesn't this? Wouldn't a gun be easier? Wasn't this the original ending to "Fatal Attraction"?

He infamous said the F word on SNL and got fired for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2019 11:11 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2018 7:46 PM

I have trouble accepting the determination by the medical examiner that it was suicide.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2018 7:50 PM

Throat slicing for suicide sounds like something that would happen in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2018 7:53 PM

People in the comments section believe he did it to himself and it was due to the brutal abuse he suffered at the hands of his parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2018 8:03 PM

Some people commit suicide by slicing their own throat; some, by shooting themselves several times in the back; some, by pushing themselves out of a closed window; some, with a paintbrush garrote, turning it and turning it and turning it, even after she's passed out.

It's like I always thought, while watching the talent portion of pageants, and enduring yet one more pint-size harlot tapping like a 7 year-old epileptic prostitute: "It's tough to be original!"

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2018 8:04 PM

How he did it. Yikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2018 8:05 PM

People that are very serious about killing themselves do that, some of the Jonestown followers who weren't there for the punch did that.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2018 8:11 PM

Some people want to commit serious violence against themselves and be aware of it happening. Hara-kiri would be an extreme example.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2018 8:27 PM

I liked him in "Dances With Wolves."

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2018 8:36 PM

Who is he?

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2018 8:37 PM

He also played Terri Garr's husband, the bad guy, in "Dumb and Dumber".

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2018 8:38 PM

I think he was a friend of the family, not Teri's husband. Teri was Lauren Holly's trophy stepmom in that film.

You know what never gets mentioned regarding Charles' swearing? It happened the night after Andy Kaufman's incident on Fridays. Once I found that out, it made me suspect the whole thing was just a one-up publicity stunt gone awry.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2018 8:41 PM

He plays the Dad in Hocus-Pocus, my go-to Halloween movie.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2018 8:42 PM

Isn't that how Doris Duke tried killing herself?

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2018 8:46 PM

I think his last role was Steve Moscow on "King of Queens" and he was great on it.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2018 8:47 PM

He was one of the original Angels of Death in Touched by an Angel.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2018 9:00 PM

He was the best thing in It's Pat.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2018 9:05 PM

This is horrible....

Why did he do it?

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2018 9:23 PM

I know a guy who killed himself in college that way. People who do that are not fucking around.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2018 9:25 PM

I remember him best as Richard Addison, Bruce Willis’ brother on Moonlighting. Did Cybill write anything about him in her bio? Did Booger?

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2018 10:12 PM

He was very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2018 10:22 PM

He was David Addison's brother.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2018 11:10 PM

tfrg

by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2018 3:31 PM

I guess I conflate these two suicides because I remember them both from circa-1980 late night TV appearances and they both chose to kill themselves in their Connecticut back yards, but Wendy O. Williams first attempted suicide by hammering a nail into her sternum (she changed her mind and had someone driver her to the hospital) but went on to shooting herself in the head a few years later in 1998.

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2018 3:41 PM

Charles Rocket was hyped up in the media as the new star of SNL, and he believed his own hype. Then featured player Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscapo started to overshadow him, and Charles Rocket ego got out of control

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2018 3:44 PM

Rocket was very funny on SNL. The line-up was uneven, but if he hadn't tried to upstage everyone with the swearing, the history of that show and the careers of everyone who worked on it would be a whole lot different.

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2018 3:50 PM

He was Gena Davis' cheating Dr. boyfriend in "Earth Girls Are Easy".

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2018 3:54 PM

He starred in a thirtysomething episode when Elliot was directing his first commercial. Elliot was a beginning, indecisive perfectionist wanting take after take for the commercial he was filming. Rocket's character was to utter one or two lines and beautifully got more and more pissed at Elliott.

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2018 3:54 PM

[quote] , but if he hadn't tried to upstage everyone with the swearing, the history of that show and the careers of everyone who worked on it would be a whole lot different.

If you read any books on the history of SNL, the show was on its last legs, and him (and everyone) getting fired would have happened, regardless if he uttered the "f" word. If anything it sped up the process of the whole purge of cast, producers and writers, when he dropped the F Bomb.

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2018 3:56 PM

In the second SNL cast, he was supposed to be the breakout Chevy Chase type star. He did have some talent, but piss poor writing and the amount of cocaine he was snorting did him no favors.

He was the Weekend Update anchor, and he acted like a real hotshot/asshole in the mode of Chase, but was way over the top, and was just never funny.

I think he was pretty devistated by being eclipsed by Joe Piscapo and Eddie Murphy, to the point of saying "fuck" on the air in a subconscious or conscious bid for attention. After the following episode, he was dismissed along with the entire cast, save for Piscapo and Murphy.

That was a high profile failure that basically ended any chance at being a comedy superstar like Chase or Bill Murray. I wonder if that contributed to his depression.

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2018 4:11 PM

And according to books written about the history of SNL - Charles Rocket was going around wondering why the place was like a morgue. The show was taking a devastating critical pan by critics and audiences, yet in his mind he saw nothing wrong with the show!

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2018 4:15 PM

How sad! Talented, handsome had wife and son. Great in Earth Girls are Easy. Life is short whiteout suicide. R.I. P. Charles Rocket.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2019 6:53 AM

Without!

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2019 6:53 AM

I knew of somebody that fell on a running chainsaw to commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2019 7:06 AM

I was remembering that thirtysomething episode too, R28. He was a presence in everything he did. So handsome! And 6'5, big boy.

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2019 7:16 AM

Wow, one of those characters that you always enjoyed watching. I had no idea of his difficult personal life. Very sad. Good actor. Handsome, too.

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2019 7:18 AM

He always seemed to have a sour disposition in his SNL appearances, so his death by his own hand wasn't a total shock.

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2019 7:25 AM

Someone in those comments said he was tortured by his parents as a child, does anyone know if this is true?

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2019 8:03 AM

My father killed himself this way, slit his throat in our backyard a week after I finished high school when I told him I was gay. No, this didn't trigger me. It's taken half a life time to get over it. So yes, this thing does happen, I've seen it,

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2019 9:44 AM

^So sorry for you, glad you made it through!

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2019 10:10 AM

Jesus r34.

Sorry that happened r39. Sounds awful.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2019 11:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!