Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Australian Open -2018

The tennis year is officially underway down under as we return to the hot antipodean courts to court controversy over that boycotting curt cunt Court. Change the name of Margaret Court court now, and go along with Goolagong! Take a Geritol while you're at it. One of the redeeming aspects of moping Sir Andy Misery, other than his thighs, is his support of changing the name of Margaret Court arena. On to the draws.

At the top, an unusual position for him, is Nadal with a supposed cake walk of a draw, no? He has the cake, but will the stars align for his opponent Estrella Burgos, crowning him a victor over the famous ass? Cuties Coric and Oz-ie Millman, a bit lower in the draw, may be of interest for eye candy. Ponytailed Dolgopolov faces the Teutonic Haider-Maurer. Aussie Eden faces the despised Trumpster Isner. Carreno Busta will try to avoid a bust against Kubler elf of Australia. Simon-Copilating may bring out the voyeurs. Delboner vs. Muller are above Ur-a-gay's Caves vs. Youzhny. Israeli Sela(s) will attempt to avoid being stabbed by another despised American, Harrison. Marching on, Sousa, young Grigor, and hairy guy Baghdatis all face that wily opponent that is in many places at once named Qualifier. Cilic may be a factor. Veteran Daveed Ferrer faces ugly Rublev. The mercurial and temperamental Kyrgios makes his appearance. How will he fuck up this time? This is where things get Troicki but don't Bolt yet. Greek Zitsipper faces blond-maned shop bottom Shapovalov. Veteran favorite Tsonga is next. K vs. K - Anderson and Edmund. Poohey. Cabbagewriter. The awesome asses of "young Bud Collins" Sock and Domi Thiem are a bit down the draw. Pity they may meet early depriving us of both asses. Which ass do you favor? Croat tardface Jiri Vesely suffers from "ups syndrome". No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition, but don't be surprised when we are baptized by Bautista vs. Verdasco in the first round. Similarly, the Battle of the Bulge is next with Germans Cedrik-Marcel Stebe "the Entertainer" vs. Maximilian Marterer "the Martyr". Another player with a fine ass, pockmarked Stan Wawrinka, who arguably makes it the Big Five, is next. May his ass always be in our favor even if someone else was fucking his girlfriend.

Nole.

He faces American Donald Young. Will he be able to advance to the finals even with his lingering injury? Hearts and hands out. Genuine crowd pleaser Monfils, M. Zverev, Aussie Cockinakis (vs. Medvedev) are around. DL favorite, the lanky A. Zverev, bottoms below his brother. Elfin Goffin, Many Colors of Bennetau, and Donkey are here. The dashing bigot Fabio Fognini faces the Argentine Zeba-jos while Birditch goes through the maze to meet the Minotaur. I mention Karen Khachanov of Russia. If the WTA has Frank Schiavone and Carlo Suarez-Navarro, why can't the ATP have a Karen? A potentially great match could be Tiafoe vs. the lovable DelPo. Another despised American, Querrey faces Feli Lopez. Perhaps Querrey hates playing an "adjacent"? The model-like Albot of the Moldovan Massacre, will bugger the handsome, but flat-assed Fuck-sovics. Kicker, pig-faced Raonic, Haase with the ass, grand-pèrr Gasquet, Michelle Kwon and some other Struff are at the bottom of the draw before we reach Gramps Federer. Does he still have it in him for another major? He surprised last year at this very tournament. He faces All That Jazz Beguine the Bedene. Brooklyn Decker-Roddick, model and thin, asks "How many more times will Mirka have to compulsively eat Ho-Hos and Peeps in her sty, excuse me, player's box?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601January 20, 2018 9:22 PM

Now to the compelling part of the tournament. How many lesbians does Margaret Court think will be created here? Number 1 Help faces her Destanee. Penciled-in finalist Bouchard crosses the Oceane to face Dodin. The chunky Billy Barty gives Taylor Townhouse a run for her money. Giorgi Girl gives way to 4chan's Kuc via Osaka. Tunisian Jabeur, who faces Vesnina, is fat too. Kunta is down below; let's hope she's not tainted by American Madison Brengle. The last Gasp of the Aryans hopes to gas a qualifier. Now Ahn to Ova, Stryn. Cystea meets Jedi Master Sifo-Diyas, who ordered creation of a clone army. Number 3 seed Mugurutha faces Frenchie Ponchet. Hsieh! Bless you. Say "Vikhlyantseva" three times fast. If it were the other Ova, Plisk, the Radwanska match could have been interesting. Hun vs. Hun: Friedsam vs. Kerber, former world number Hun. Nao on to Maria vs. Maria: Tatjana vs. Sugarpova, who was not so long ago on an extended vacation. How do we solve a problem like Maria's heart condition? A rare Eva (Putinst) faces Brit Heather Watson. The rising American Madison Keys faces a rising Wang. I'll have a McHale Sansovich with lettuce, tomato, mustard and pickles.

Pregnant pause.

Granny Venus faces Bencic. Much like Gramps, does she still have it in her? She came close to another major last year. Hope she doesn't crash. Will Prince Harry in a skirt, Alison Van Uytvanck, gingerly walk into the second round? I Begu to consider Cornet tableware who also faces an erect and throbbing Wang. Hello, Goerges! Finally beginning to fulfill her potential, Sloane Stephens meets Zhang. Zh-wing! Ostapenko faces Frank Schiavone. May the better, erm, man win. Ying-Yang or rather Ying-Ying. Is that the name of a panda? Well she faces the Duque. Pass the Kanepis, ranked 100 in the world. Stosur vs. Puig! They haven't told Carlo which qualifier he's facing for fear of his harassing any pretty young WTA ingenue. Will there be a "Me Too!" movement in women's tennis thanks to Frank and Carlo? Babos. Coco. Babos. Coco. "Anastasia Sergeyevna Pavlyuchenkova". Again say that three times fast. It seems as if Flipkens and Riske meet in opening rounds often, but on to weightier matters: Taylor Townhouse! Boba Fett battles Charo-wannabee Eguchi Cuchi. And finally Buzz-arnescu meets the number 2 seed, the Woz. Like Help, she too has never won a major.

Missing in action: "Mom" Serena, Misery, Kei Pond, Azarenka.

Ova recap: Cepel, Kvit, Kuc, Stryc, Safar, Plisk (Ka & Kr), Sharap, Sevast, Alexandr, Vondrous, Makar, Gavril, Cibulk, Siniak, Pavlyuchenk, Kozl, Rybarik, I'm so ova this post...

So as always let's keep our discussion civil and, she did it once, so perhaps she can do it again: can Pamela Howard Shriver at long last find another Australian man?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2018 10:14 PM

What a tremendous tuckus!

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2018 10:17 PM

Sorry OP, TL/dr.

But Murray will get his come-uppance later.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2018 10:20 PM

[quote] What a tremendous tuckus!

Whose?

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2018 10:23 PM

Where’s ESL?

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2018 10:24 PM

I see where Monica Seles married her billionaire....

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2018 10:28 PM

[quote] I see where Monica Seles married her billionaire....

Where?

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2018 10:29 PM

Is this where we talk about Aussie Cup and Bulges?

Or is this just an Ass thread? Asses seem to be proffered in tennis threads.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2018 10:29 PM

did you hear about bartoli? i saw reports of her recently...

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2018 10:29 PM

also, serena williams said she had blood clots after c section. isn't that from steroid use? cmon, so obvious.

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2018 10:30 PM

Bartoli olive oil?

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2018 10:31 PM

ESL is probably every post referring to Andy Murray as Misery r5. He’s such a wit.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2018 10:32 PM

It’s love, set, match for Venus Williams, as friends wait to see if her new boyfriend, millionaire Nicholas Hammond, will sit courtside for her Australia Open matches. The pair has largely flown under the radar, but insiders close to the super jock don’t expect that to continue much longer.

“He’s a wealthy financier who goes between California and New York,” according to a source, who, along with other Williams’ associates, say Hammond’s name has come up a lot Down Under as Williams readies for this weekend’s tournament.

“She likes that he’s very private,” according to our spy. We’re told that Venus affectionately calls her beau “Nicky” and she’s telling friends she’s “very happy.”

Hammond — who’s 12 years younger that Williams — isn’t in it for the money, according to our spy.

“He’s definitely not a fortune hunter,” we’re told. “She’s head over heels for him.”

The “very handsome” 25-year old is an heir to Walter Annenberg’s TV Guide fortune. His parents are socialite Dana Hammond and her ex-husband James.

“Nicky has met up with Venus in Palm Beach, where his family has a $20 million mansion as well as in the Hamptons, where they have a $20 million house,” we’re told. We also hear that Hammond was Williams’ date to her sister Serena’s wedding in November.

Williams, the number two rated womens tennis player in the world, needed a shoulder to cry on Tuesday. That’s when she was upset by German racket-swinger Angelique Kerber at the Sydney International tournament. It was revealed on Thursday that she’ll be back in action Sunday when she takes on Swiss challenger Belinda Bencic in the first round of the Australia Open. All eyes will be on the VIP seats.

According to our source, Venus has expressed an interest in having kids, despite Vogue magazine’s report on Wednesday that her 36-year-old sister Serena, overcame life-threatening complications in September when she gave birth to her first baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2018 10:35 PM

R7, there was an article a short while (USA Today?) ago about Tom Golisano suing the interior decorator of his yacht in which it referred to Monica as his wife...

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2018 10:41 PM

Now back to the Monica who matters...please OP, say something else clever about Puig, you barely mentioned her! After all, she did win Olympic gol

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2018 11:14 PM

Gold

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2018 11:15 PM

R15, Puig with an exclamation point is all that’s needed here. It became a meme here during the Olympics whenever she would win or score big that people would post “Puig!” It stuck after that. It’s rather the same as posting “Nole” on tennis threads here rather than “Bump”.

Hands out to you.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2018 11:18 PM

Oh, OK, thanks R15

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2018 11:38 PM

[quote] It really is my first tennis thread ever

Welcome! I hope you stay. We’re not the most sane bunch of people.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2018 11:44 PM

Benoit Paire of France...

Mon Dieu!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2018 11:48 PM

You actually are, r19, if only by the mere fact that you clarified. Most other insider threads (and I have been guilty of being too much of a DL veteran) will only snicker and jeer at the newbie.

Classic example - when some rookie tries to correct WHET. So, again, thanks.

Yes, I'll stick around, silently, because we haven't got cable TV back in Puerto Rico yet!

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2018 11:49 PM

R20 are you really the BPC of yore??!!

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2018 11:51 PM

[quote] Benoit Paire of France...Mon Dieu!!

I haven’t seen tennis shorts that tight since watching 70s match clips on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2018 11:56 PM

[quote] Yes, I'll stick around, silently, because we haven't got cable TV back in Puerto Rico yet!

Seriously? I feel for all of Puerto Rico and hope you return to normal conditions soon. I know Monica has done a lot for relief efforts.

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2018 11:58 PM

I apologize for misspelling grand-père. Autocorrect “corrected” it.

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2018 11:59 PM

Puig! has sucked since she won that Olympic gold. All that she's done since is become Maria's only friend on the WTA.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2018 1:11 AM

Would Domi and Sock make good doubles partners now that Popsicle is out of Sock’s picture?

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2018 1:34 AM

r27, for a second there I thought you were referring to Dominika Cibulkova.

I'm sorry, but can they stop having such ridiculously lop-sided draws. As usual Fed has a murderers row while Nadal has a cake walk.

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2018 1:39 AM

I guess Popsicle and Sock are never, ever, ever getting back together.

They were such an adorable couple.

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2018 2:27 AM

Has there been any word what hotel young Grigor is staying? The kids are asking me to bring them back an autograph that's all. I wouldn't want to intrude on my...I mean his focus during the event. He needs to save his energy for my...Uh sorry the court. Yeah the court.

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2018 2:33 AM

Dear lord, Tennis Channel is having a retrospective on Margaret Court's record number of majors. Their oblivious ass kissing is worse than that of Ben & Courtney. Of course, Court is against ass kissing.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2018 2:55 AM

Honestly? Please lets get the qualies over with and on to the tournament so we can leave these tired florid postings behind.

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2018 2:57 AM

Aussie Open draw was taken place on Marget court arena and not on Rod Laver Arena or Hisense arena. So whoever was wondering about a possible boycott of MCA should get their answer.

I told you guys. Tournament directors are not going to create controversy

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2018 3:25 AM

ESL!!!

by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2018 3:27 AM

a moment for Jack Sock's ass and furry arms and chest.

thank you.

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2018 5:27 AM

Paire SO needs to lose that atrocious beard. It looks like small mammals have nests in there.

Stan really does have a tremendous tuckus.

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2018 11:24 AM

I don't get the love for Sock, r35. I look at him and think that if he's fat now (and I don't think it's fit-fat), what's he going to balloon into when he hangs up that racquet??? I imagine that, with all that sweating, his hairy lardy arse is zit-laden and the extra folds of skin in his crotch give off nauseous fumes when he's changing after a match. I also suspect he doesn't shower, and just puts his civilian clothing on over his sweaty body.

I also find myself thinking that they got his veneers all wrong—his teeth are too long, almost like Donal Sutherland's in [italic]Novecento[/italic]—and that his breath stinks...

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2018 12:11 PM

No mention of DL fave PHH? Pack 15 pounds on that boy and hit it all day long.

Okay, I would anyway.

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2018 12:13 PM

Did that 18 year old twink ALex De Muner[or what ever his name is got wild card for Aussie Open]

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2018 12:19 PM

Pairs is indeed sexy- esp in person. But I understand he is a jerk- not well liked by peers etc.

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2018 12:24 PM

Interesting that Kerber and Sharapova, the only two past Aussie champions in the draw, could meet early in the 3rd round.

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2018 12:57 PM

Yes, R22, I'm the Jacobite claimant to the British throne. If only that German woman and her brood would go back to Hannover!

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2018 2:50 PM

I can't believe that Sloane Stephens hasn't won a match since her victory at the U.S. Open. Evert recently had some sharp words about her...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2018 2:59 PM

And I thought I couldn't love Billie Jean King more than I already did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2018 3:32 PM

Sloane is one and done. It will be interesting to see if maybe she is just a slam girl?

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2018 4:45 PM

OMG that's right, Sloane Stevens won the 2017 USO!

I had completely forgotten that.

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2018 5:51 PM

[quote] Did that 18 year old twink ALex De Muner[or what ever his name is got wild card for Aussie Open]

“Birditch goes through the maze to meet the Minotaur.”

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2018 7:06 PM

Sloane is lazy like a lot of the other American players. Plus she plays best in the US (also like all the other American players).

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2018 7:16 PM

Sloane is one and done. It will be interesting to see if maybe she is just a Sloane Ranger?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2018 7:26 PM

That's too bad. I like Sloane and she has loads of talent.

by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2018 9:05 PM

She has never shown much fire....ability and talent, yes, but no passion....

by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2018 9:28 PM

Other than the 2017 US Open, the only other times Sloane ever showed fire was when she was attacking Serena and Gilles Simon.

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2018 9:31 PM

^ why was that?

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2018 9:53 PM

Cross posted from The Gays and Tennis — Part 23:

[quote]Ok, serious question—why are almost all the Gays and Tennis threads now greyed and crossed out? This is also true for the new Australian Open thread. My settings are at “asbestos eyes,” so that can’t be it. What’s more, I’m actually the OP for quite a few of these threads, so I certainly haven’t F&Fed them. Is this Muriel’s doing, or is there a concerted effort to make these threads disappear? And if so, why on earth would that be?? I really do find this unfathomable.

Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2018 4:13 PM

I've noticed that too, R54, and it happens almost immediately. This thread was greyed out the day it was created, and it had a nice pic of Domi's ass and Sock linked. I'm set for "asbestos eyeballs" as well.

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2018 4:19 PM

And, r55, I didn’t OP this thread, unlike Part 23, so it can’t be all the deplorables F&Fing [italic]me[/italic] because of the nasty things I have to say about the deplorables among the US players... (I know a couple of people said they were blocking me on the Tennis threads because they were sick of me pointing out that Isner and Vandewegh are trumpeteers.)

But it’s obvious these threads are being F&Fed by someone...

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2018 5:28 PM

[quote]But it’s obvious these threads are being F&Fed by someone...

... a closeted player perhaps? Mr. Courier perhaps? The ATP perhaps .... the possibilities are as endless as the number of posts in the threads

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2018 6:01 PM

truthfully, I didn't make it through OP's diatribe ...

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2018 6:02 PM

Sloane is part of the US Millenial bunch. They're lazy asses who can't focus for an entire year. It applies to the men and women. Give me the old school champions who kept it up for the whole year like Evert, Navratilova, Graf, and Seles. As much as the Williams sisters are icons, they definitely went in and out of the game, although they certainly were able to pick it up when the Slams came around and they were healthy. Given the current state of the game, and in-form Serena has another shot at a Calendar Year Slam if she's health for an entire season.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2018 6:19 PM

"Australian Open players show nimble verbal skills on Margaret Court issue"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2018 6:25 PM

Anyone else HATE the new design of the AO website? It's fucking horrible especially when looking at the schedules of matches. It's really awful. There was no need to change anything. I hope the 3 other slams this year don't copy it.

It's not fair that the qualies aren't over yet. Main draw play starts tomorrow and they have to finish their final round today. Usually they get a day off. Some of them will have to play round 1 of the main draw the following day

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2018 7:00 PM

R61 yes, it's horrible.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2018 7:03 PM

I agree, R61. It's difficult to tell where one quarter of the draw ends and another begins. Wimbledon's site is very clear as is the US Open's.

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2018 7:10 PM

I hope it is not a sign that RG, Wimbledon and USOpen website will be as horrible.

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2018 7:11 PM

New design is horrible. I think they have change IT service provider . Same things happened to ATP website. Earlier it was done IBM at that time it was fine . Now it is done by Infosys for past few years an d it is horrible

by Anonymousreply 65January 13, 2018 7:23 PM

I had the same difficulty, R63, so I instead used the PDF versions of the draw.

by Anonymousreply 66January 13, 2018 7:27 PM

The WTA site is one to be seen! The latest designs and clarity. Go to it now!

by Anonymousreply 67January 13, 2018 7:28 PM

Sam Stousur is playing on Monday on Marget court arena

by Anonymousreply 68January 13, 2018 7:28 PM

Stosur is not ‘out’ out, is she?

by Anonymousreply 69January 13, 2018 7:42 PM

Stosur is still in the close but you can still hear the KD Lang music playing inside it.

by Anonymousreply 70January 13, 2018 7:54 PM

Caroline Wozniacki said for one that she's excited to play on Margaret Court Arena.

by Anonymousreply 71January 13, 2018 7:56 PM

Queen Billie Jean causing a stir and ruffling feathers in Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 13, 2018 7:58 PM

Caroline Wozniacki is always thirsty to play on big courts. Remember how much drama she created during US open when her match against Makarova was not scheduled on Arther Ashe arena but Simona Help/Maria Sharapova match was on AA stadium

by Anonymousreply 73January 13, 2018 8:00 PM

I should say part of the Marget Court Arena controversy is short sighted. No one has raised any fuss about the tournaments in Qatar or the UAE where homosexuality is illegal. Additionally, those tournaments have treated Israeli players badly in the past (Shahar Peer) and the only person I remember voicing opposition then was Venus.

by Anonymousreply 74January 13, 2018 8:07 PM

This guys is hot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 13, 2018 8:46 PM

Well his ass definitely is

by Anonymousreply 76January 13, 2018 8:51 PM

I've found another future stud up-and-comer. Matteo Berrettini of Italy. He has reached the final round of qualifying

by Anonymousreply 77January 13, 2018 8:53 PM

I've never heard of him before tbh R77

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 13, 2018 9:05 PM

I suspect our OP also started a bunch of threads or made comments that people DID F&F. I don't think the F&F function discriminates between threads.

by Anonymousreply 79January 13, 2018 9:16 PM

The new AO site is not so great, agreed.

If you want to watch any of the matches on their site, you'd better know what court you want ahead of time or you'll be forced to sit through the 30-second promo each and every time. As others mentioned, I agree a lot about it is klunky.

by Anonymousreply 80January 13, 2018 9:56 PM

The AO website doesn't even have an international clock.

by Anonymousreply 81January 13, 2018 11:58 PM

True, R81, but it does have the Melbourne time and one’s local time.

by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2018 12:00 AM

AO website sucks. As someone upthread earlier, the ATP redesigned their site a few years ago, and it equally sucked. I used to visit the ATP site every day or every other day for results, notes, etc. but rarely visit now. I wonder what options I have if I blow off the AO site.

So... I hadn't had much opportunity to look at the draw, so I made the mistake of listening to Ben and Courtney's podcast. Ugh.

First of all, they still have too much "banter" about insider stuff that isn't that interesting to people who just want to hear about tennis. And it's mostly done as a humble-brag, IMO.

Second, the new "compelling" is the talk of players' "kits" (e.g. their tennis outfits). If I never hear that phrase again it will still be too soon.

Finally, it amazes me that they don't see the absurdity of having conversations about Alessandra Krunic and Carina Witthoeft, and minutes later criticize lack of name recognition of ATP players. Sheesh. Also, the fact that about 30 WTA players have a shot at winning the title doesn't mean that there are 30 great WTA players.

And with that, I'll pass on their future podcasts.

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2018 1:03 AM

With heft.

by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2018 1:11 AM

Tomic loses in the final round of qualifying to the young up-and-coming Lorenzo Sonego.

by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2018 4:08 AM

Qualifiers:

Salvatore Caruso (Italy)

Dennis Novak (Austria)

Jaume Munar (Spain)

Quentin Halys (France)

Vasek Pospisil (Canada)

Kevin King (USA)

Denis Kudla (USA)

Mackenzie McDonald (USA)

Elias Ymer (Sweden)

Dustin Brown (Germany)

Casper Ruud (Norway)

Lorenzo Sonego (Italy)

Ruben Bemelmans (Belgium)

Václav Šafránek (Czech)

Yuki Bhambri (India)

Matthias Bachinger (Germany)

by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2018 8:31 AM

Ryan Harrison/Pospisil?

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2018 10:47 AM

^ who's on top?

by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2018 11:14 AM

Tomic will be counting his millions of dollars instead of playing tennis:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2018 11:51 AM

Popsicle!

by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2018 12:21 PM

Tomic is a disgrace to tennis.

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2018 1:07 PM

How bad is the AO site? At the moment, with the tournament starting in 10 hours, I can't even get the draws on their site. The PDF for printable draws isn't opening, and the web-based draw isn't loading. Tried on both my phone and tablet with the same result.

I went to do my Racket Bracket entry on the Tennis Channel site, and they still don't have the qualifiers placed in the draw. Although hard to blame them when qualifying ended about nine or ten hours ago. WTF? I had to go to Wikipedia to find a draw with the qualifiers placed.

by Anonymousreply 92January 14, 2018 1:51 PM

I predicted Pliskova vs Svitolina for the women's final, not because I think they're the best players, but because that would be the most snooze-inducing matchup between two WTA stars who appear to lack any personality.

I'm predicting Kyrgios vs Federer for the men, because I'm an idiot who keeps predicting big things for Kyrgios even though he often flames out, and Federer will probably waltz to another title with the commentators giving him a tongue bath every step of the way.

by Anonymousreply 93January 14, 2018 2:15 PM

Jaded, one of the Tennis Channel commentators also had Kyrgios in the finals.

by Anonymousreply 94January 14, 2018 3:19 PM

I cannot wait to watch Sam Stosur on MY court on the telly. What an all-around good Christian girl she is, family values and stuff!

by Anonymousreply 95January 14, 2018 3:24 PM

I'm trying to think of a bigger douchebag in tennis that Tomic... Hmm...

by Anonymousreply 96January 14, 2018 3:41 PM

^^than and not that... and I'm still thinking...

by Anonymousreply 97January 14, 2018 3:43 PM

I recommend Fognini.

by Anonymousreply 98January 14, 2018 5:01 PM

R96, current day players only?

by Anonymousreply 99January 14, 2018 5:28 PM

I'm curious to see Djokovic's new service motion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 14, 2018 6:27 PM

It's always risky to debut a new technique for any stroke at a slam lol it takes so much repetition to make it automatic and if he gets nervous, he'll likely revert back to a previous serving motion.

by Anonymousreply 101January 14, 2018 6:38 PM

there are a lot of men's and women's matches I'm going to be following on day 1. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 102January 14, 2018 6:38 PM

The app is equally shitty as the website.

by Anonymousreply 103January 14, 2018 8:51 PM

So Mischa is playing against Marcelo Melo in the doubles' 1st round. Poor Sascha, haha.

by Anonymousreply 104January 14, 2018 8:55 PM

WTA bookies favorite Svitolina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 14, 2018 9:02 PM

Sasha has never defeated a Top-50 player at slams. Could face one in 3R -- his brother.

by Anonymousreply 106January 14, 2018 9:04 PM

What's the gossip on Nole? Still fucking whores? Still with that loon Pepe Imaz?

Enquiring minds want to know!

by Anonymousreply 107January 14, 2018 9:07 PM

Yes, R106, and he really doesn't want to play against him. He said so on a German TV show last month...while Mischa is more relaxed about the possibility.

by Anonymousreply 108January 14, 2018 9:07 PM

Svitolina went to the AO gala dinner looking like an Ukrainian lady of the night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 14, 2018 9:18 PM

That's really interesting , r105. I wonder why the bookies have Venus so low.

by Anonymousreply 110January 14, 2018 9:47 PM

R110 because she's so unpredictable.

by Anonymousreply 111January 14, 2018 10:08 PM

[quote] It's always risky to debut a new technique for any stroke

One tries new strokes at home for hours before playing in tournaments, no?

¡Me encantan las pajas!

by Anonymousreply 112January 14, 2018 10:15 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 14, 2018 10:17 PM

R111, But all of the top WTA players (with the exception of Serena and maybe Sharapova and Azarenka) are pretty unpredictable, especially when it comes to dealing with pressure. I would have put Venus in the top five contenders of women who could win it all.

by Anonymousreply 114January 14, 2018 10:23 PM

R114 I'm rooting for Venus but it wouldn't shock me if she lost to Bencic today. Last year she was more consistent than she had been in 5 years but she still had some WTF losses. I'll be shocked if she comes close to defending her AO points from last year. She did at least win a set off Kerber last week but then got routined in the second and third.

by Anonymousreply 115January 14, 2018 10:26 PM

R115, I too wouldn't be surprised if Venus lost to Bencic. But I also wouldn't be surprised if she won it all either. I guess I haven't seen her play since the U.S. Open, where she looked like she was in pretty good form until Sloane took her out. But I thought it was a very respectable loss. Still, maybe her level of play has dropped since then?

by Anonymousreply 116January 14, 2018 10:31 PM

Anyone but Roger...but preferably Rafa.

by Anonymousreply 117January 14, 2018 10:41 PM

Anyone but Rafa...but preferably Roger.

by Anonymousreply 118January 14, 2018 10:44 PM

Chris McKendry pulling out the stripes wow

by Anonymousreply 119January 14, 2018 11:02 PM

R119, and red belt.

Does McEnroe still do cocaine?

Chris Evert looks amazing for her age.

by Anonymousreply 120January 14, 2018 11:06 PM

So Djokovic has apparently gained 10 pounds. Good. He was way too thin the past few years. The rumor is his back and elbow injuries might not be fully healed

by Anonymousreply 121January 14, 2018 11:08 PM

How much more difficult was it to get to Australia from Europe and the United States in the 70s and 80s than it is now?

by Anonymousreply 122January 14, 2018 11:10 PM

OK espn they've started play...cut the chatter

by Anonymousreply 123January 14, 2018 11:13 PM

Is the Australian Open DL's favorite major? It seems to get a lot of attention here, more than the French or US Open.

by Anonymousreply 124January 14, 2018 11:14 PM

This is sweet!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 14, 2018 11:16 PM

The crawler on ESPN said that Azarenka isn't at the Aussie Open this year because of personal reasons. Anybody know what that's all about?

by Anonymousreply 126January 14, 2018 11:18 PM

SHOW THE MATCHES

by Anonymousreply 127January 14, 2018 11:18 PM

All matches are streamed live on ESPN3. That's how I watch.

by Anonymousreply 128January 14, 2018 11:19 PM

Stephens vs. Zhang. Compelling.

by Anonymousreply 129January 14, 2018 11:21 PM

R124, I saw a recent clip of Djokovic practicing and it didn't look to me like he's gained 10 lbs., but maybe I'm not accurately remembering just how skinny he was last season.

by Anonymousreply 130January 14, 2018 11:24 PM

lmao is the AO site down for anyone else? I don't know if it crashed or what I wanted to follow multiple scores

by Anonymousreply 131January 14, 2018 11:26 PM

Pospisil to play Cilic in Round 1

by Anonymousreply 132January 14, 2018 11:26 PM

I’ve seen Djokovic play in person, and he looks extremely thin in person, more so than on TV.

by Anonymousreply 133January 14, 2018 11:28 PM

OK I was just going off of what Cahill was saying. He needs to bulk up though. I think some of his injuries may be due to that. Smashing the ball is hard on the limbs.

by Anonymousreply 134January 14, 2018 11:31 PM

Taylor Townsend lost the 1st set against Rybarikova 0-6

by Anonymousreply 135January 14, 2018 11:36 PM

I liked Djokovic best when he looked like this. And, if I'm not mistaken, I think this was around the time he had that monster season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136January 14, 2018 11:41 PM

Yeah, I can't get scores, schedules or draws from the AO website. But who needs info like that?

Why did the Australian Open change their website and app? What was wrong with the previous version?

by Anonymousreply 137January 14, 2018 11:50 PM

I can get schedules but not draws or scores other than the live scores.

by Anonymousreply 138January 14, 2018 11:53 PM

try this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 15, 2018 12:05 AM

Who's the player at R139?

by Anonymousreply 140January 15, 2018 12:07 AM

[R126], it's to do with the custody battle over her child. At present, she can't legally take the child out of California so she won't leave.

I was just going to comment on not having had any problems with the AO site, accessing draws, etc. and just tried to get on now and the page is unavailable due to "Site Maintenance." WTF?

by Anonymousreply 141January 15, 2018 12:24 AM

[R141] here. Two minutes later and i can get on to the site but the Live Scores tab is still down. Way to fuck up, guys.

by Anonymousreply 142January 15, 2018 12:27 AM

Thanks, R141

by Anonymousreply 143January 15, 2018 12:42 AM

Sloane really needs to regroup ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 144January 15, 2018 12:43 AM

I was away for a bit. Did Sloane lose already?

by Anonymousreply 145January 15, 2018 12:52 AM

Sloane was serving for the march in the 2nd set but then lost that set in a tiebreaker. Now she's down a break in the 3rd set.

by Anonymousreply 146January 15, 2018 12:55 AM

Kyle Edmund's looking pretty in pink

by Anonymousreply 147January 15, 2018 12:56 AM

R136 yes totally agree. He's been anorexic looking for a while now. That pic he looked great

by Anonymousreply 148January 15, 2018 1:01 AM

Sloane pathetic choke in the second set. She's such a flaky player. Some matches she's mentally rock solid and other times she seems to give up

by Anonymousreply 149January 15, 2018 1:01 AM

Zhang: pronounced Zhyung

by Anonymousreply 150January 15, 2018 1:04 AM

Pathetic from Sloane.

by Anonymousreply 151January 15, 2018 1:07 AM

[quote] pronounced Zhyung

Zwing.

by Anonymousreply 152January 15, 2018 1:08 AM

Down two breaks now, on a shitty-looking double fault. #sloane #choker #compelling

by Anonymousreply 153January 15, 2018 1:09 AM

Gracious hug at the net from Sloane at least.

by Anonymousreply 154January 15, 2018 1:11 AM

Frank Schiavone is out in straight sets to Ostapenko! I guess we'll have to pin our hopes on the only remaining male in the women's draw - Carlo Suarez Navarro.

Townhouse is out too! That weighs heavily on me.

by Anonymousreply 155January 15, 2018 1:20 AM

Sloane needs to hire a coach like Billie Jean King who can work on her mental as well as physical game.

by Anonymousreply 156January 15, 2018 1:21 AM

Sloane needs a new coach.

by Anonymousreply 157January 15, 2018 1:22 AM

Sloane needs a new attitude.

by Anonymousreply 158January 15, 2018 1:25 AM

That's what I was going to write as well, R158. Her mental game needs much improvement.

by Anonymousreply 159January 15, 2018 1:25 AM

Now Ben and Courtney will go on and on about what a great player Zhang is, how she's a tournament dark horse, etc. etc. ignoring the fact that Sloane isn't a great player, but a good player who got hot at the right time.

When all the top women are beating each other, it doesn't mean that they're all great players, it means they're all good players and none of them are great.

by Anonymousreply 160January 15, 2018 1:26 AM

Play is suspended or delayed for almost all matches, but why does it say that Yu vs. Cilic is cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 161January 15, 2018 1:35 AM

That floral print DL fave Pam Shriver is wearing is awful. How will she ever get a man with that?

by Anonymousreply 162January 15, 2018 1:38 AM

Yu must have dropped out. I believe Cilic is scheduled to play someone else now.

by Anonymousreply 163January 15, 2018 1:39 AM

Cilic is playing Pospisil.

by Anonymousreply 164January 15, 2018 1:52 AM

Chris Evert: "Shows the depth in the women's game right now that you can have a first round match like this."

She's taken some of the Ben & Courtney Kool-Aid. World's Worst Tennis Commentator.

by Anonymousreply 165January 15, 2018 2:02 AM

This is a nightmare first-round match for Venus. She is going to have to play her best tennis to pull out this match.

by Anonymousreply 166January 15, 2018 2:02 AM

Colic was supposed to play Randy Lu, who pulled out.

I kind of like Bencic, and wish she wasn't playing Venus 1R.

FYI Chrissie, Venus vs. Bencic isn't because of depth in the game as much as it's because Bencic has been out of the game with injuries. That's like saying Djokovic at No. 14 shows "the depth" of the men's game.

by Anonymousreply 167January 15, 2018 2:04 AM

Thankfully, r165, Chris didn't go completely off the deep end and say that Sloane's loss was also an indication of the depth of the WTA today.

by Anonymousreply 168January 15, 2018 2:04 AM

Earth to Chrissie: as you're wondering why Babos has never been more successful, remember to check out last year's draw when she was seeded here.

by Anonymousreply 169January 15, 2018 2:15 AM

[quote] Randy Lu, who pulled out

Tehe.

by Anonymousreply 170January 15, 2018 2:15 AM

Venus is in Granny mode today. She looks old and slow.

by Anonymousreply 171January 15, 2018 2:37 AM

omg there goes Venus.

by Anonymousreply 172January 15, 2018 2:44 AM

Sloane and Venus are both already gone, and the tournament is barely a few hours old! Will Coco be next?

by Anonymousreply 173January 15, 2018 2:46 AM

Let's hope so, R173. I can't stand Coco.

by Anonymousreply 174January 15, 2018 2:47 AM

The CuntCo lost the first set.

by Anonymousreply 175January 15, 2018 2:48 AM

Coco VanderTrump

by Anonymousreply 176January 15, 2018 2:49 AM

Coco is in a shithole right now!

by Anonymousreply 177January 15, 2018 2:51 AM

Good god look at the Nike 'kit' on Shapovalov! Hideous! Poor Kid.

by Anonymousreply 178January 15, 2018 2:54 AM

When are we getting to the mens?

by Anonymousreply 179January 15, 2018 2:54 AM

hahaha point penalty for Coco

by Anonymousreply 180January 15, 2018 2:55 AM

so pissed at Sloane and Venus

by Anonymousreply 181January 15, 2018 2:56 AM

uh oh. They are strictly enforcing time limits-coming out on time, warm up time and between point time. Nadal is going to FREAK and probably argue with umpires

by Anonymousreply 182January 15, 2018 2:57 AM

Shapovalov takes the first 6-1. He's pumped.

by Anonymousreply 183January 15, 2018 2:57 AM

Coco out

by Anonymousreply 184January 15, 2018 3:03 AM

Coco is so gross. Swears like a sailor, stomps around the court like dump truck, rude and nasty to everyone. Luckily, she's about to lose.

by Anonymousreply 185January 15, 2018 3:03 AM

I'm thrilled Coco is out. Bye, Felicia!

by Anonymousreply 186January 15, 2018 3:04 AM

Coco is so nasty that even Cortney and Ben drag her. Neither has ever tried to prop her up.

by Anonymousreply 187January 15, 2018 3:05 AM

4 hours in, 3 US woman out.

by Anonymousreply 188January 15, 2018 3:06 AM

American women are 0-7 today.

by Anonymousreply 189January 15, 2018 3:07 AM

Shapo is an exciting player, holy fuck

by Anonymousreply 190January 15, 2018 3:07 AM

Isner also in a shithole!

by Anonymousreply 191January 15, 2018 3:09 AM

loving the pink Edmund is wearing. So USO finalist Anderson out in the first round

by Anonymousreply 192January 15, 2018 3:13 AM

WHET Sabine "Cankles" Lisicki?

by Anonymousreply 193January 15, 2018 3:13 AM

Anderson is a good guy. I like him, but I'm fine with Edmund advancing.

by Anonymousreply 194January 15, 2018 3:14 AM

All Ebden has to do is hold serve and he'll be through. He just got the break.

by Anonymousreply 195January 15, 2018 3:20 AM

Grigor is PINKED out too.

by Anonymousreply 196January 15, 2018 3:27 AM

Puig!

by Anonymousreply 197January 15, 2018 3:32 AM

In pink, Grigor is in full-on Gaygor mode. He looks like he should be waiting tables at a '50s themed diner.

by Anonymousreply 198January 15, 2018 3:37 AM

Pospisil is looking a bit beefier this year.... he wears it well

by Anonymousreply 199January 15, 2018 3:42 AM

Deplorable Isner shitholed OUT by Ebden

by Anonymousreply 200January 15, 2018 3:47 AM

I'm so glad Isner is out.

by Anonymousreply 201January 15, 2018 3:50 AM

Amazing the hype Isner gets just because he's an American. There were much better players (American) who got less attention just because they played in the Connors-McEnroe or Sampas-Agassi eras. Now that Isner is fading away, we're probably going to start gettting Sock, Sock, and more Sock.

I see Pavlyu-choke-ova is down a set.

by Anonymousreply 202January 15, 2018 3:51 AM

Really? We get Luke Jensen in the booth?

by Anonymousreply 203January 15, 2018 3:54 AM

Isner benefited from the fact that all the other American guys of his generation sucked. He's only gotten to one QF his whole career.

by Anonymousreply 204January 15, 2018 4:05 AM

I like Stevie. Where is Stevie?

by Anonymousreply 205January 15, 2018 4:15 AM

R204, plays tomorrow against Denis Kudla.

by Anonymousreply 206January 15, 2018 4:33 AM

Fat Fundie Sock getting his ass kicked. USA! USA!

by Anonymousreply 207January 15, 2018 5:34 AM

I swear to God, someone spiked the Americans food/water with something shitty as payback for Trump’s shithole comments. Every single one of them is abnormally sluggish and out of it today.

by Anonymousreply 208January 15, 2018 7:22 AM

Sock out too!

Is that all the deplorables gone now, or are there others in the US contingent?

by Anonymousreply 209January 15, 2018 7:31 AM

Well, Sock will have more time for Klan rallies and worshipping his Orange lord.

by Anonymousreply 210January 15, 2018 7:33 AM

Is Queery still in it? He's another Trump lover.

by Anonymousreply 211January 15, 2018 7:34 AM

Coric out

Schwartzman survived 11-9 in the fifth

Carreno wins a match. Only because he faced the Aussie wild card

Kohlschreiber against Nishioka

by Anonymousreply 212January 15, 2018 8:15 AM

When does DL fave Sharapova play?

by Anonymousreply 213January 15, 2018 8:23 AM

R209 nope. Harrison got through in 5 sets

by Anonymousreply 214January 15, 2018 9:01 AM

Puig def. Stosur in 3 sets. Yes, Stosur had match point in the tiebreak

by Anonymousreply 215January 15, 2018 9:01 AM

Is Sock really a fundie? I know Isner is a Republican, but is Sock? Jesus, WTF with all the American players being conservatives?

by Anonymousreply 216January 15, 2018 9:54 AM

Bugger it, r214!!!

We'll need to assess once all of today's matches are done and dusted.

by Anonymousreply 217January 15, 2018 9:55 AM

Just the 8 Federer questions (incl. follow ups) for Belinda Bencic today.

Look I like gramps and I don't have problem commentators giving tongue bath during his match but don't disrespect other players by making their interview all about Roger.

specially in this case when Bencic and Roger are not vying for same trophy

by Anonymousreply 218January 15, 2018 10:00 AM

r216, Sock didn't vote (I'm too lazy to look up the various articles, but just Google Jack Sock voting Trump—I think I originally read it on the Miami Herald site, but who can remember?), and apparently never votes. Unlike the Williams sisters, who use their religion as an excuse not to vote (why is it that [italic]all[/italic] these people who publicly identify with some form of religion or other—"Thank you Jehova/God/Allah for all my riches!"—always cherry-pick which bits of their particular religion suit them?), Sock probably just finds the whole politics thing too complicated, duuuude... So let's just call him deplorable-adjacent. Which is pretty fucking bad.

by Anonymousreply 219January 15, 2018 10:02 AM

Pouille out beaten by Bemelmans

by Anonymousreply 220January 15, 2018 10:03 AM

[quote]WTF with all the American players being conservatives?

Being "conservative" is one thing, but the Trumpism that these tennis players are espousing is actually reactionary, racist, homophobic right-wing populism. That's why I take a certain amount of joy when they're trounced out of a tournament, especially if it happens ignominiously in the first round (even though there's an even more special pleasure when they're pipped at the post in the finals...).

by Anonymousreply 221January 15, 2018 10:06 AM

Nadal won. His new outfit is cute but it looks like he is training. I personally love sleeveless shirts.

Judy Murray's twitter feed should have its own show. The woman is a riot on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 222January 15, 2018 10:09 AM

And adorable at the net.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223January 15, 2018 10:14 AM

How is he still so sexy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224January 15, 2018 11:08 AM

I like Shapo a lot. I hope he goes deep in Oz.

by Anonymousreply 225January 15, 2018 11:09 AM

Wow, the Joker is really a greedy mofo. He seriously needs some perspective. I officially hate him now.

by Anonymousreply 226January 15, 2018 11:29 AM

Kyle Edmund is adorable. And I get the feeling he's family.

by Anonymousreply 227January 15, 2018 12:03 PM

Looking at Judy Murray you would never guess she was funny.

by Anonymousreply 228January 15, 2018 12:24 PM

Randomness:

I agree with R221 about American Trumpsters. We can debate whether it's appropriate or not, but my truth is that I can't isolate their viewpoints, and players I used to root for because they were American, lost that privilege. Maybe I'm the one not evolved enough, but so be it.

Agree about Edmund, and too bad for Anderson, a very likable guy.

Is Djokovic greedy? It certainly seems that way, but is there a legitimate case that the players are being exploited? Would his measure help the lower ranked players who struggle financially to travel and train? (I wonder how many freebies are given to players and/or coaches at Slams? Other tournaments? I know that at the minor league tournaments that players sometimes stay with host families. I'd be happy to buy a few extra groceries if a hunky player or two would hit with me for a few minutes and promise to walk around in their underwear.)

I love Chris Evert and her commentating. I'd love to have dinner with Evert, Carillo, Shriver, Drysdale, Gilbert and a few others and just listen to their stories. I'm one of the rare posters on these DL threads who loves many of the commentators.

by Anonymousreply 229January 15, 2018 12:28 PM

R226 why? What did he do?

by Anonymousreply 230January 15, 2018 12:49 PM

[R230]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231January 15, 2018 12:57 PM

Well, we don't know yet what exactly Novak said at that meeting...so I'll withhold judgment. But if it was some big surprise...if he went up there without getting Federer and Nadal to sign off on it...he's a fucking fool. You don't piss off the King and Queen.

by Anonymousreply 232January 15, 2018 12:59 PM

If Djokovic was trying to get increased prize money for *all* the players, then good for him. And Federer and Nadal strike me as the types not to rock the boat, especially when they're the ones benefiting the most from the perks and lucrative money for the top players.

by Anonymousreply 233January 15, 2018 1:34 PM

I have a nagging suspicion that Djokovic's call to arms wasn't just about money, but probably had a lot to do with "dumping the chicks" of the WTA [italic]so that[/italic] the boys (i.e., the only real moneyspinners according to idiots like Djokovic—as if there are no ebbs and flows...) can negotiate a bigger slice of a bigger cake.

He is loathsome. And vile.

And no, I still think the current incarnation of the WTA is woeful.

by Anonymousreply 234January 15, 2018 1:50 PM

Oh, almost forgot: I really hope he didn't consult with the King and Queen (kudos to r232 for two exquisitely appropriate terms for Nadal and Federer—I just can't work out which is which...), and it all comes tumbling down on him.

by Anonymousreply 235January 15, 2018 1:53 PM

[quote]Vandeweghe lost her cool again after going down 5-1 in the second set, bouncing her racquet on the court and appearing to swear at the Hungarian. She copped a point penalty for her second code violation of the match. Many on social media claimed Vandeweghe said: “F*** off you f***ing b***h.”

Coco never fails to disappoint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236January 15, 2018 2:01 PM

Please. The Joker has made 88 million pounds in prize money and probably multiples of that in endorsements. Contrast that with Misery who remarked that top professional athletes are absurdly overpaid -- as they are.

Djokovic is a first class douche.

by Anonymousreply 237January 15, 2018 2:06 PM

I wish the crowd had thrown bananas at CoCunt. What spoiled, entitled brat.

by Anonymousreply 238January 15, 2018 2:59 PM

The Nike hot pink that the men are being forced to wear is a serious eyesore, or was, especially on Sock, though Coric rocked it somehow, and it doesn't look too bad on Shapo. Grigor's stuck with it too, as is Kyrgios. Bleah.

by Anonymousreply 239January 15, 2018 3:43 PM

I like pink dress on men . It is that pink shoes which is coming off very odd on men . No men will wear those pink shoes in personal lives .

Though I secretly like it as overall it make them looks so gay

by Anonymousreply 240January 15, 2018 3:52 PM

I'm definitely glad Cunt-co is gone. I can't stand that bitch. What a petulant snot. Not surprised she supports Trump.

by Anonymousreply 241January 15, 2018 4:00 PM

Just for you, ESL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242January 15, 2018 4:01 PM

LOL Np R242. You have to see this

I don't like Nadal . His body is good and ass is great but he has serious problem of butter face.

However even Nadal manages to look very good[and a power top] in this dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243January 15, 2018 4:15 PM

Pouille and his phatty lost.

Monica Puig (she's an American technically) and Gibbs (who was only of the only vocally anti-Trump American players during the campaign) won their matches.

by Anonymousreply 244January 15, 2018 4:17 PM

I'm fine with the ATP players unionizing. I'm not fine with an ATP Union (led by Novak, Gilles Simon and the other sexists) being used as a Trojan Horse to end equal pay.

by Anonymousreply 245January 15, 2018 4:21 PM

More men players need to a adopt sleeveless shirts. While WTA's top and shorts are getting shorter and skimpier over past few decades, rarely an ATP player wear sleeveless shirt and their shorts also have become long

I for one love to see Domi in short shorts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246January 15, 2018 4:25 PM

Sleeveless was popular among some players about 12 years ago. Safin, Haas, Blake Nadal and others did it. I remember Wimbledon obnoxiously trying to ban the,

The only one in recent memory to stick to sleeveless has been Dustin Brown.

by Anonymousreply 247January 15, 2018 4:27 PM

Somewhat off topic: I’m thinking of going to the French Open this year. In your experience what has been the best way to get tickets? I’m from the U.S. if that makes any difference.

by Anonymousreply 248January 15, 2018 4:29 PM

^ you can do it online at the French Federation site IIRC. You can select which court (PC, SL or Court One). Pay online tix come in the mail -- or at least they used to. Easy peasy.

by Anonymousreply 249January 15, 2018 4:31 PM

Tomorrow there are no exciting matches on day time . No idea about nigh sessions though .

Only possible minor upset I can is that tin daytime are

Andrea Petkovic can defeat Petra Kvitova

Oceane Dodin can defeat Genie Bouchard

by Anonymousreply 250January 15, 2018 4:33 PM

Thanks, R249.

by Anonymousreply 251January 15, 2018 4:33 PM

As far as the established American players go, pretty much all the white ones are Trump fans. It seems like all the others aren't though. Nicole Gibbs and Noah Rubin are 2 white American players who aren't deplorables. I would imagine southside Chicago-born, Atlanta-residing Donald Young probably isn't either. Last year when Florida still had its voting registry public, I checked and saw that Sloane Stephens is registered as a democrat.

I can't imagine players who come from immigrant families like Tiafoe, Mmoh and Escobedo would be fans of Trump either.

by Anonymousreply 252January 15, 2018 4:47 PM

I like Nicole Gibbs. I watched some of "my tennis life" on tennis.com. It ain't easy be out of the top 100.

by Anonymousreply 253January 15, 2018 4:50 PM

R248, if you do go get tickets through the official website, don't use the Safari browser. Last year, on the day that tickets were first available, I waited for two hours on the website and then, when my turn was finally up, I selected the tickets and was about to pay when my Safari browser froze. So I had to get back into the waiting line but then the same thing happened. So the next time I used the Chrome browser and everything went smoothly.

by Anonymousreply 254January 15, 2018 5:05 PM

The French Open always has poor attendance so buying tickets on site wouldn't seem to be a huge problem.

by Anonymousreply 255January 15, 2018 5:17 PM

I think tonight will be another bad day for the American women with only Keys being favored to win and about 6 losing.

by Anonymousreply 256January 15, 2018 5:33 PM

Whatever queen at Nike woke up and put Nadal in sleeveless again deserves dick for days. And it's much better than the 2004-8 era because the fabric is thinner. It gets sweaty and bunches up and we get glorious side pec.

Now if we can only get directors who won't cut away during the shirt changes...everything will be good. Earn those millions, boys.

by Anonymousreply 257January 15, 2018 5:42 PM

Catherine Whitaker and David Law spend the first 15–20 minutes of today's Tennis Podcast** on the Djokovic "unionization" question. The guy sounds [italic]so[/italic] shady. Apparently, nobody knew it was on the cards, and once the general meeting had drawn to a close, he just asked anyone who wasn't an ATP player to leave—admin, directors, Kermode...—except for his lawyer. No word on who said what, but Simon stated that his opinions have not changed on any of the questions raised by Djokovic, which sort of points to the equal prize money brouhaha.

As Whitaker points out on the podcast, if the whole thing turns out to be a bunch of "unionized" millionaires asking for a bigger pay cheque, then it'll be a PR nightmare. Be interesting to see what develops, and which players bite.

**Podcast in question linked below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258January 15, 2018 6:05 PM

A big issue for the players is that the tournaments make a lot more money than what they are paid. They feel they deserve a bigger piece of the pie. I personally don't think the final rounds need any more money. Maybe rounds 2, 3 and 4 could be raised. The first round should not be any higher. We wouldn't want a situation in which players were only compelled to get their ranking up high enough to enter big events and then tank the first rounds despite getting a handsome check for just showing up.

In terms of star power, nothing in the men's game has really changed over the last 6 years. There are 4 big names (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray). Wawrinka is a lesser known big 5 member. The rest of the tour is living off of the top 4's popularity. Do ATP players believe people would pay big bucks to see another Anderson vs. Carreno Busta slam semi?

by Anonymousreply 259January 15, 2018 7:11 PM

No wonder that Djokovic has always come across as a smiley façade covering the shifty grifter within--because that's exactly who he is.

by Anonymousreply 260January 15, 2018 7:40 PM

I wouldn't pay another dime to see Djokovic, Nadal or Federer since I'm beyond bored with them, R259. Give me the professionalism and decency of Anderson and Carreno Busta and I'll pay to see them instead every time.

by Anonymousreply 261January 15, 2018 7:43 PM

Bingo, R260.

by Anonymousreply 262January 15, 2018 7:44 PM

Please don;t insult PCB . He is after all BIL of ARV and DP of GGL

Show some respect to PCB

by Anonymousreply 263January 15, 2018 7:52 PM

Sucks young daddy Taylor Fritz went home so early. And no Murray or Serena either. Shitty tournament

by Anonymousreply 264January 15, 2018 7:54 PM

[quote] Please don;t insult PCB . He is after all BIL of ARV and DP of GGL

Huh? In English please, ESL.

by Anonymousreply 265January 15, 2018 8:00 PM

R265

PCB=Pablo Carreno Busta

BIL=Brother in Law

ARV= Albert Ramos Vinolas

GGL = Guillermo Garcia Lopez

I don't know DP

by Anonymousreply 266January 15, 2018 8:03 PM

Doubles partner R266 and R265

by Anonymousreply 267January 15, 2018 8:04 PM

doubles partner?

by Anonymousreply 268January 15, 2018 8:04 PM

DP=Double Penetration

by Anonymousreply 269January 15, 2018 8:15 PM

It seems like Djokovic and Simon are being careful in suggesting the Union would be for the benefit of mid-ranked players 50-150 in getting the tournaments to spread the wealth downward to the lower rounds. But I still suspect part of the Union effort will be to get rid of the joint tournaments so many of the men loathe and get the grand slams to give the men more money.

by Anonymousreply 270January 15, 2018 8:18 PM

Ultra rich, white, male tennis players of the world, unite!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271January 15, 2018 8:26 PM

R270 that's a good point. Distribution is clearly a problem, with the top guys getting all the scratch. So the question is: how much do the tournies make versus the payout is to the players?

by Anonymousreply 272January 15, 2018 9:14 PM

R261 I'm tired of the big 4 too. My point is that the ATP players are all trying to bank off the backs of the big 4. Many ATP players are acting like the general public cares as much about them as the big 4. We know many in the public only care about established champions. In the same way that the WTA has struggled to find a new star since the Williams' sisters and Sharapova, the ATP hasn't found one since the big 4 Eventually they will decline and retire. From what we saw last year, no one else is ready to dominate.

Just for comparison, in the US, the Sloane Stephens vs. Madison Keys final got higher ratings than Rafael Nadal vs. Kevin Anderson. Yes, the American factor was important in terms of ratings, but still it's a big deal. Serena is usually the only one who can beat the men for ratings in the US. For the men to claim that they always do better is wrong as shown at the USO.

by Anonymousreply 273January 15, 2018 9:20 PM

Interesting that Andy Murray was at that meeting, R271. I wonder what his take on this is.

by Anonymousreply 274January 15, 2018 9:36 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275January 15, 2018 10:41 PM

Matt Ebden, who beat Isner last night, often joins Margaret Court's prayer circles.

by Anonymousreply 276January 15, 2018 10:44 PM

I'm totally fine with Novak the grifter boycotting the AO next year - in fact why doesn't he just retire! I, like so many others, can see right through his antics.

by Anonymousreply 277January 15, 2018 11:06 PM

ugh, r276, and I was just beginning to like Ebden.

by Anonymousreply 278January 15, 2018 11:08 PM

Hands and hearts out to you, R277.

by Anonymousreply 279January 15, 2018 11:08 PM

Are you rooting for Maria or Sharapova?

by Anonymousreply 280January 16, 2018 1:10 AM

At least ESPN admits she was out for doping rather than a “vacation” as Tennis Channel had it. Even Chris Evert now says on ESPN said it was a drug ban.

by Anonymousreply 281January 16, 2018 1:12 AM

Tune in Gays!!! Your tennis icon Sharapova is on and screaming her way to victory!!!

by Anonymousreply 282January 16, 2018 1:23 AM

Bautista Agut must have been distracted by Verdasco's sexiness. A straight set upset wow. RBA just won Auckland!

by Anonymousreply 283January 16, 2018 1:25 AM

Gays are not fans of Sugarpova.

by Anonymousreply 284January 16, 2018 1:44 AM

Alright, I'm thoroughly confused by this unionization talk. Are we *against* a players union? Why shouldn't there be a players (only) union?

I get the argument that the Top 10 (or 20, or 50) are sufficiently compensated. But there are almost 2000 players in the rankings, and I'm sure most of those guys are struggling to earn a living. A players union would help to do this. And I doubt a Facundo Bagnis could lead the unionization; the effort would need the voice and power of a top guy. (In the Tennis Channel podcast, the mentioned the failed efforts of Wayne Ferreira some years ago.)

As far as the equal prize money debate, it makes NO SENSE outside of the Slams. The men play for the ATP, the women for the WTA. They are separate organizations. Brisbane paid it's WTA winner $190k and it's ATP winner $83k. Should it have paid them equally? No, the WTA has a "premiere" event there, the ATP has a smaller 250 event there. Regardless, if they were both "premiere" events, should they pay equally? Do we require the NBA and WNBA to pay equally? We've turned the equal pay argument into a social issue, when it's not; it's economics.

I get the anger towards Djokovic if his mission is all about getting more prize money for the winners and runners-up, but I haven't heard that as the purpose of this.

by Anonymousreply 285January 16, 2018 1:57 AM

Boo! Super fug Trump lover Sam Queery won his match

by Anonymousreply 286January 16, 2018 2:14 AM

I’m sure he’ll be one of the first to let us know, r274.

by Anonymousreply 287January 16, 2018 6:01 AM

Roanic out defeated by Lacko

Donaldson lost to Ramos Vinolas

Querrey wins

by Anonymousreply 288January 16, 2018 6:24 AM

Title Contender GENIE BOUCHARD wins her first round match over Dodin! I hope all the other girls are scared. This is feeling like 2014 all over again

by Anonymousreply 289January 16, 2018 6:51 AM

My pencil? Oh God, where is my pencil?

by Anonymousreply 290January 16, 2018 6:55 AM

Yes, so proud of QUEEN Genie, WTA superstar, cover model and UN human rights ambassador.

by Anonymousreply 291January 16, 2018 7:06 AM

I love you, R290 and R291.

by Anonymousreply 292January 16, 2018 8:05 AM

Berdy is imploding against that Aussie twink

by Anonymousreply 293January 16, 2018 8:15 AM

AO site isn’t working, and the app won’t load completed matches scores... Does anyone know who won the Kvitova–Petkovic match? I was watching until Petko imploded at 4–2 in the third, then had to leave for work. TIA!!

by Anonymousreply 294January 16, 2018 8:23 AM

Petkovic won ...

by Anonymousreply 295January 16, 2018 8:24 AM

Thanks, r295. I thought she’d blown her chance at 4-2. For some reason, I’m fond of Petko.

by Anonymousreply 296January 16, 2018 8:47 AM

Petkovic won ... 10:8 in the third ...

by Anonymousreply 297January 16, 2018 8:52 AM

I have given up on the AO site already and just follow on livescore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298January 16, 2018 8:59 AM

Kiki Lost again !!

Don't mess with DL,Kiki . We know Voodo

by Anonymousreply 299January 16, 2018 9:19 AM

Bogdan def Kiki 63 62

by Anonymousreply 300January 16, 2018 9:19 AM

Bogdan is currently at her best ranking...which is number 104!

And he's 25 years old

by Anonymousreply 301January 16, 2018 9:21 AM

Google is the best for following live scores - just search Australian Open 2018 and you should see a big table with results which seems to be updated quicker than livescore.

by Anonymousreply 302January 16, 2018 9:59 AM

Thanks, r302!

by Anonymousreply 303January 16, 2018 10:48 AM

Karma, Kiki.

Now get your damm Lee Press-on Nails out of Domi's cakes!!

by Anonymousreply 304January 16, 2018 10:48 AM

Ugh! I see from Google scores that the absolute worst of the ‘phobe deplorables, Tennys Sandgren, won his first-round match against Chardy in three straights.

by Anonymousreply 305January 16, 2018 10:51 AM

Hsieh -Zhu score

by Anonymousreply 306January 16, 2018 10:55 AM

^ compelling!

by Anonymousreply 307January 16, 2018 10:55 AM

^ ^ stupendous!

by Anonymousreply 308January 16, 2018 10:58 AM

Wow the Petko-Kvitova match must have been a good one! So happy for Andrea. She is one cool lady!

by Anonymousreply 309January 16, 2018 11:54 AM

Petko-Kvitova was a women's match of the highest caliber; in other words, both made a ton of errors and mentally choked in equal amounts so as to make us call it "compelling."

by Anonymousreply 310January 16, 2018 12:00 PM

Eye candy alert: Grigor plays American Mackenzie McDonald next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311January 16, 2018 12:47 PM

Bunch of Trumpsters down (bye, Jared!), three left on the hit list. Let's hope "Mackie" plays for our side!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312January 16, 2018 1:05 PM

Here’s more on Djokovic’s Bolshevik ATP Revolution, again from the Tennis Podcast, with a longish bit from D’s postmatch interview. Talk about splitting hairs and being noncommittal. He sounds more than slippery here, sort of like the ultimate politician you wouldn’t want to buy a used car from. And then the podcast interviews a journo, with his own take on the nascent revolution. Not really pro-Djokovic, and he puts paid to the big PR coup that what the Djokovic acolytes are after is more money for the players out of the top 100.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313January 16, 2018 5:10 PM

Maybe the tours can provide more for their travel and hotels but I don't think challenger players should be making a lot. The goal is to make it on the pro tour.

by Anonymousreply 314January 16, 2018 5:33 PM

Djoko needs, and always has needed, a better PR team.

by Anonymousreply 315January 16, 2018 6:38 PM

Shenzhen will host WTA Finals 2019.

- Shenzhen and Singapore were last two candidates;

- Prize fund could be increased from $7m to $14m;

- New tennis stadium with a capacity of 14,000 should be ready for 2019 event;

- Shenzhen offered more money, it was the key factor.

by Anonymousreply 316January 16, 2018 8:36 PM

WTA Finals will stay in Shenzhen until 2028

by Anonymousreply 317January 16, 2018 8:40 PM

Is this where we talk about Year End Championships?

by Anonymousreply 318January 16, 2018 8:42 PM

Russian men are doing well in Aussie open 1 st round 4/4 are in the 2nd round. However, I don't see them crossing that except maybe Rublev. But he may be too tired against Marcos Baghdatis after playing marathon almost 5 hours 5 sets match against Ferrer

by Anonymousreply 319January 16, 2018 8:47 PM

Mladenovic 0-15 since August:

Andreescu 26 36

Strycova 26 36

Gavrilova 06 67(6)

Babos 57 57

Niculescu 36 26

Fett 46 36

Qiang 06 06

Siniakova 36 26

Duan 57 46

Sasnovich 26 62 26

Rybarikova 57 61 67(5)

Goerges 26 67(4)

Sasnovich 61 36 57

Perez 46 24 RET

Bogdan 3-6 2-6

by Anonymousreply 320January 16, 2018 8:51 PM

[quote] New tennis stadium with a capacity of 14,000 should be ready for 2019 event;

4,000 would be enough

by Anonymousreply 321January 16, 2018 8:54 PM

American men continue to tumble on day 2 Donaldson, Donald Young Tiafoe.

Speaking of Tiafore today was first time I saw him playing . I have read too much about on DL that he is very portioning but I didn't see anything good from him

Yes he hit hard and has raw power but nothing which cam him differentiate from any other newcomer

by Anonymousreply 322January 16, 2018 9:32 PM

Delicate question but, has Rafa 'had work done'? Or is he aging in to more handsome facial features.

by Anonymousreply 323January 16, 2018 11:10 PM

DL must be disappointed that The Kokk is out

by Anonymousreply 324January 16, 2018 11:15 PM

Misha out of singles due to injury may still play doubles

by Anonymousreply 325January 16, 2018 11:18 PM

Guess what Simona Help injured herself . These journey women play their best throughout the year but at Grand slam when it is most important they fizzles out

by Anonymousreply 326January 16, 2018 11:22 PM

[quote] Guess what Simona Help injured herself .

She can’t help herself.

by Anonymousreply 327January 16, 2018 11:25 PM

I hope Fucsovics fucks up Querrey.

by Anonymousreply 328January 16, 2018 11:36 PM

Hey, where's Kei Noshikori?

by Anonymousreply 329January 17, 2018 12:04 AM

Simon (not Simona) retires.

by Anonymousreply 330January 17, 2018 12:09 AM

Are you for Siniakova or Svitolina?

by Anonymousreply 331January 17, 2018 12:13 AM

Wow, R320. Mladenovic sure sucks, doesn't she?

by Anonymousreply 332January 17, 2018 12:31 AM

Siniakova. I'm not a Svitolina fan. I respect her work ethic but she has a boring grinding game. I don't like her forehand technique either

by Anonymousreply 333January 17, 2018 12:36 AM

Simona has 0 sponsors. She had to buy her tennis dress. WTF? She is number 1. Regardless of her likability. She deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 334January 17, 2018 12:40 AM

[quote] Simona has 0 sponsors. She had to buy her tennis dress. WTF?

One answer to that: unionize!

by Anonymousreply 335January 17, 2018 12:47 AM

That's what happens, R334, when you get rid of the big tits.

by Anonymousreply 336January 17, 2018 12:58 AM

WHET good ol' "Juggs" Halep?

Oh yeah - asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 337January 17, 2018 1:08 AM

I've fallen in love with Shapovalov

by Anonymousreply 338January 17, 2018 1:10 AM

Shop bottom.

by Anonymousreply 339January 17, 2018 1:13 AM

Zhang beats Stephens, then loses to No. 131 Allertova

Bencic beats Venus, and is now losing to No. 123 Kumkhum

The DEPTH!!! The DEPTH!!! The DEPTH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 340January 17, 2018 1:57 AM

8 players I'd most like to seed: Monfils, Sousa, Mmoh, Shapovalov, Coric, Nishikori, Herbert & Tiafoe

by Anonymousreply 341January 17, 2018 2:03 AM

R341, some of those will never be seeded players in any major.

by Anonymousreply 342January 17, 2018 2:06 AM

Oh, poor R342.

That's just sad, girl.

by Anonymousreply 343January 17, 2018 2:29 AM

Boba Fett is ahead of the Woz.

by Anonymousreply 344January 17, 2018 2:33 AM

Woz has a HOT finance! Get it Woz!!!

by Anonymousreply 345January 17, 2018 2:42 AM

Woz's fiance must be into corn teeth.

by Anonymousreply 346January 17, 2018 2:48 AM

Corn, R346? When did Woz have corn?

by Anonymousreply 347January 17, 2018 2:51 AM

Tsonga Shapovalov go 5!

by Anonymousreply 348January 17, 2018 3:39 AM

R347, havne't you ever heard of corn teeth? Woz has them. Her teeth are shaped like corn giblets.

Shapavalov v. Tsonga has been fun to watch. The first 2018 Aus Open match I've enjoyed. So of course ESPN shifts to Woz v. Fett. Is that Boba Fett?

by Anonymousreply 349January 17, 2018 3:45 AM

Tsonga looks lighter skinned this tournament. Is it the winter in France?

by Anonymousreply 350January 17, 2018 3:50 AM

[quote] So of course ESPN shifts to Woz v. Fett. Is that Boba Fett?

She’s just a simple woman trying to make her way in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 351January 17, 2018 3:51 AM

Slam after slam, Wozniacki eventually runs into someone who hits her off the court and her passive hope-for-an-error game just isn't enough. More and more of the younger girls can overpower her and move well enough to rally.

by Anonymousreply 352January 17, 2018 3:56 AM

This year is supposed to be Wozniacki's farewell tour before she rides off into the sunset. It'll be a really inauspicious start if she starts by losing to someone nobody like Jana Frett.

by Anonymousreply 353January 17, 2018 4:01 AM

R349, you can watch it all here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354January 17, 2018 4:05 AM

oop I speak too soon. Wozniacki broke back twice and will serve at 4-5 in the third

by Anonymousreply 355January 17, 2018 4:08 AM

Nike needs to take a lesson from Adidas, as in Shapo's hanging neon clown suit vs. Tsonga's well-fitted classic sexy look.

by Anonymousreply 356January 17, 2018 4:13 AM

novak, usually pros from that region have ties to gangs and mafia, they may have funded their training etc and the pros are indebted to them for the rest of their lives, they gotta keep giving them money.

That's what I hear...

by Anonymousreply 357January 17, 2018 4:14 AM

I don't give a shit about sharpo that cheating cunt. In fact, I don't really even care anymore about women's tennis. Heard serena nearly died from blood clots after giving birth. I hope all those riods were worth it.

by Anonymousreply 358January 17, 2018 4:16 AM

Surely Roger isn't stuck playing in that horrendous Nike pink

by Anonymousreply 359January 17, 2018 4:16 AM

wow massive tightening choke from Fett. Sad, Wozniacki escapes 7-5 in the third

by Anonymousreply 360January 17, 2018 4:23 AM

Shapovalov choked too while serving for the match

by Anonymousreply 361January 17, 2018 4:29 AM

If Wozniacki would flatten out the ball like she does when she gets behind, she might not find herself in these kinds of matches.

by Anonymousreply 362January 17, 2018 4:36 AM

And Tsonga wins last 5 games to take the fifth set 7-5. Go Jo!

by Anonymousreply 363January 17, 2018 4:38 AM

Shapovalov just didn't raise his level when he had to. I hope he learns. I really like watching Shapovalov.

by Anonymousreply 364January 17, 2018 4:39 AM

Are there any white male players with yellow skin?

by Anonymousreply 365January 17, 2018 4:52 AM

I can’t believe fett’s choke. Unreal.

by Anonymousreply 366January 17, 2018 5:07 AM

Thanks cameraman for the extended full cut off shapovalovs shirt change! I was surprised he was so smooth considering how furry his legs are.

by Anonymousreply 367January 17, 2018 5:20 AM

Shapovalov's furry legs are making me extremely horny.

by Anonymousreply 368January 17, 2018 6:34 AM

R368 = Ron Carlivati

by Anonymousreply 369January 17, 2018 8:10 AM

Is that Woodford or Woodbridge (aka "The Woodies") in young Grigor's box?

by Anonymousreply 370January 17, 2018 8:30 AM

R353 I keep seeing comments about Wozniacki supposedly retiring at the end of the year, but couldn't find any mentions in the news. Where did this come from?

by Anonymousreply 371January 17, 2018 8:56 AM

Goddamit! Shapo is my new tennis crush. Dem legz!

by Anonymousreply 372January 17, 2018 11:00 AM

Battle of the hotties: Dimitrov and McDonald are 4-4 in the fifth set.

by Anonymousreply 373January 17, 2018 11:17 AM

what kind if a man is attracted to a big steroid broad like the williams sisters are????

weird.

by Anonymousreply 374January 17, 2018 11:32 AM

Dimitrov pulls it off 8-6 in the fifth.

by Anonymousreply 375January 17, 2018 11:47 AM

Too bad for Mac. I saw him play in the semis at Tiburon in October. He's really fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 376January 17, 2018 11:52 AM

McDonald, Escobedo, Tiafoe & Mmoh

by Anonymousreply 377January 17, 2018 12:16 PM

How sad is the AO site when you can get to the draws faster on Wikipedia?

by Anonymousreply 378January 17, 2018 12:33 PM

Daria was leading 4/0 in forst set . Now she is staring at straight set defeat . What crazy day this whole day was

by Anonymousreply 379January 17, 2018 1:42 PM

On a day when it's supposed to be 100 degrees, of course Federer gets scheduled to a night match.

by Anonymousreply 380January 17, 2018 1:54 PM

It’s good to be the king! 🤴

by Anonymousreply 381January 17, 2018 2:51 PM

Tsonga is a really beautiful man. Great face and phenomenal physique. He must look incredible naked. His fiancé is gorgeous as well.

by Anonymousreply 382January 17, 2018 3:17 PM

Yeah he is R383. Kinda like that ridiculously beautiful chocolate boy on Glee in the later season. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 383January 17, 2018 3:20 PM

Oops I meant R382

by Anonymousreply 384January 17, 2018 3:21 PM

I've long been a huge fan of Tsonga. In my opinion, he's the best men's player currently on the tour who hasn't won a Major. I think he could still do it but he's 32 and the window is starting to close.

by Anonymousreply 385January 17, 2018 3:24 PM

Tsonga has always been injury-prone and a headcase. It was never a question of talent with him

by Anonymousreply 386January 17, 2018 5:09 PM

Today Nole is playing in form Monfis . this should be very exciting match

by Anonymousreply 387January 17, 2018 6:23 PM

I can't believe Nole is playing Monfils in the second round. It's really too bad that Mofils' ranking dropped below 32.

by Anonymousreply 388January 17, 2018 6:35 PM

USO rematch between Sharapova and Sevastova!

If Struff plays well he might give Federer at least 1 tough set.

2014 Wimbledon SF rematch-Halep vs. VERY IN-FORM Bouchard!

Del Potro and Khachanov just played a competitive match in Auckland. Now they're going to play again

Chung vs. Medvedev in a young gun show

by Anonymousreply 389January 17, 2018 6:40 PM

If it’s really going to a 40 degree day, then they’ll be playing day matches with the roof closed and the AC on, r380. I can’t see how that would be worse, and not better, than playing the night match in sticky, albeit cooler, conditions with the roof open.

by Anonymousreply 390January 17, 2018 9:31 PM

The grunting in Thiem-Kudla is turning me on.

by Anonymousreply 391January 18, 2018 12:10 AM

Kudla, shirtless, turned me on. Again, as I switch from court to court, I'm frequently disappointed at how many quick cutaways there are as the shirts are about to be doffed.

Tennis needs to know sex sells, so give us a little something, something more often.

by Anonymousreply 392January 18, 2018 12:24 AM

well most of the cameramen are straight

by Anonymousreply 393January 18, 2018 12:26 AM

A few years ago when ESPN first started streaming all the courts at the majors there were no commercial breaks like now so the camera would just linger on the players during changeovers and between sets. Tons of shirtless players. But not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 394January 18, 2018 12:41 AM

I seem to recall that, R394. I wonder if the players have some say (besides corporate revenue execs) in the coverage of their changes. Even when there's not a break, I notice the camera will often swiftly break away. Pisses me off.

That being said, there was a nice lingering shot of Fuscovics. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 395January 18, 2018 12:48 AM

[quote]what kind if a man is attracted to a big steroid broad like the williams sisters are????

Venus is tall, but I fail to see how she's a "big steroid broad". She's pretty slim, toned but not with bulging muscles.

Speaking of which, what PEDs is Maria taking these days?

by Anonymousreply 396January 18, 2018 12:53 AM

Give Rafa his due...he gets it. After he wins a match, he always makes that big show of taking off his shirt and toweling off and putting on a jacket. (And the camera shows it, which means he hasn't complained.)

by Anonymousreply 397January 18, 2018 1:04 AM

Maria’s face looks awful.

by Anonymousreply 398January 18, 2018 1:10 AM

Lucky Loser Pera beats No.9 Konta.

The depth! The compelling depth! I think I'm coming!!!

by Anonymousreply 399January 18, 2018 1:16 AM

Dom really is the cutest thing.

by Anonymousreply 400January 18, 2018 2:03 AM

Ha! Aggressively unattractive Trump lover Sam Queery is OUT!

by Anonymousreply 401January 18, 2018 2:20 AM

Thiem and Kuda go to a fifth. Someone please tell me that Kuda isn't another Trumpster.

by Anonymousreply 402January 18, 2018 2:25 AM

[quote] Ha! Aggressively unattractive Trump lover Sam Queery is OUT!

Good.

by Anonymousreply 403January 18, 2018 2:29 AM

[quote] Dom really is the cutest thing.

Best ass in tennis. Sorry Rafa.

by Anonymousreply 404January 18, 2018 2:30 AM

Upset alert: Mugurutha is down a set and a break against a Taiwanese player who is ranked outside Top 100

If Thiem can't put away a player who is ranked 150 then how he will deal with big guns? I don't see him moving beyond Rd4.

WTA is totally exposed in this Aussie open

so do these young guns of ATP too like Grigor or Thiem

I am telling you guys [which you probably already know]

It is going to one of big three or Stan who is going to win men side and as far as womens are concerned don't be surprised if a player ranks outside Top 100 manages to win the trophy.

by Anonymousreply 405January 18, 2018 2:30 AM

And his opponent was really good looking

by Anonymousreply 406January 18, 2018 2:31 AM

Maria got her revenge

by Anonymousreply 407January 18, 2018 2:31 AM

[quote] WTA is totally exposed in this Aussie open

Compelling.

by Anonymousreply 408January 18, 2018 2:32 AM

Am I the only one who appreciates the new look from Adidas for the men (tight grey shorts and yellow shirt)? It's great to see things going away from the Nike tent look.

by Anonymousreply 409January 18, 2018 2:53 AM

(R409), Tsonga looks great in the Adidas gear. Mind you, he looks great in pretty much anything.

by Anonymousreply 410January 18, 2018 2:55 AM

So, #9 Konta and #3 Muguruza the latest women's seeds to fall. Sharapova must be rubbing her hands in glee.

by Anonymousreply 411January 18, 2018 2:57 AM

I may not even need to take any drugs to win this thing!

by Anonymousreply 412January 18, 2018 3:00 AM

Domi hot cakes!!!

by Anonymousreply 413January 18, 2018 3:01 AM

Davis def Petkovic, 4-6, 6-0, 6-0.

What da fuck?

by Anonymousreply 414January 18, 2018 3:10 AM

R414. Petkovic was exhausted after her marathon first-round victory against Petra Kvitova. Commentator mentioned that she was also carrying some injury.

by Anonymousreply 415January 18, 2018 3:18 AM

Last year Semifinalist and 30th seed Mirjana Lucic Baroni also lost in today in straight set

by Anonymousreply 416January 18, 2018 3:19 AM

Never noticed that McEnroe's cadences and phrasing sounds a lot like Trump beyond just their roughly common points of origin. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 417January 18, 2018 3:22 AM

Djokovic at 30 already looks like a gaunt, emaciated weasel. Greed kills.

by Anonymousreply 418January 18, 2018 3:35 AM

Two seeded Czech players who I like a lot moved into 3rd round despite facing tricky opponents .

Berdych defeated GGL and his former girlfriend Saforova defeated Cristea in straight sets

Just now I learned that Fog was fined 96K for abuse in US open . That may be his entire year earning

by Anonymousreply 419January 18, 2018 3:37 AM

Serious Monfils bulge going on.

by Anonymousreply 420January 18, 2018 3:52 AM

Serious Monfils fade going on.

by Anonymousreply 421January 18, 2018 4:27 AM

Kerber won. Hopefully she can take out Sharapova in the next round

by Anonymousreply 422January 18, 2018 4:38 AM

Is it hot on court, or something?

by Anonymousreply 423January 18, 2018 4:39 AM

That Hungarian dude was extremely good looking.

by Anonymousreply 424January 18, 2018 4:43 AM

Diego Schwartzman ... fucking hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425January 18, 2018 4:45 AM

Fug, Fugger, Fuggerer, Fuggest

by Anonymousreply 426January 18, 2018 5:15 AM

Madison Keys cruising. Here's a picture of her in action.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427January 18, 2018 5:22 AM

Is Agassi back on steroids? Or just on the Dunkin' Donuts diet?

by Anonymousreply 428January 18, 2018 5:53 AM

Nole has no ass and no bulge.

by Anonymousreply 429January 18, 2018 5:56 AM

And no heart and no charm.

by Anonymousreply 430January 18, 2018 6:00 AM

classy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431January 18, 2018 6:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432January 18, 2018 6:13 AM

Going down as Lendl II.

by Anonymousreply 433January 18, 2018 6:16 AM

You mean you DON'T think it's genuine when Djokovic gives you his heart after each victory?

by Anonymousreply 434January 18, 2018 6:21 AM

He looks like a Serbian war criminal in R432.

by Anonymousreply 435January 18, 2018 6:34 AM

Please Julien don't choke this time

by Anonymousreply 436January 18, 2018 6:46 AM

Karen is rocking in Pink

by Anonymousreply 437January 18, 2018 6:49 AM

Julien did this !!! So happy for him

by Anonymousreply 438January 18, 2018 6:50 AM

No surprise. After giving a rocking performance against RBA in first round, Verdasco is now struggling against an unheralded German in 2nd round

Basically story of Nando's life

by Anonymousreply 439January 18, 2018 7:31 AM

Please Help finish this in straight sets

by Anonymousreply 440January 18, 2018 7:52 AM

I mean Help is leading a set and a break up but douchard plays well in grandams so you never know

by Anonymousreply 441January 18, 2018 7:53 AM

Don't worry, Douchard is out

by Anonymousreply 442January 18, 2018 8:16 AM

R442, where’s your pencil?

by Anonymousreply 443January 18, 2018 9:59 AM

Must be a DLer in the stands...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444January 18, 2018 10:42 AM

Un Nando out in 5 set by some unknown German qualifier after giving awesome performance in 1st round performance against RBA. WTF is his problem?

Stan has become fat . Sad that he is out too .But since he has just returned from surgery so understandable

Vesnina is also out she got defeated by hot and cold Osaka

Nando and Lopez should retires gracefully this year .

by Anonymousreply 445January 18, 2018 10:54 AM

Lil David went down to Benneteau. Formidable! Isn't Benneteau like 40 years old?

by Anonymousreply 446January 18, 2018 10:57 AM

It seems Jim Courier read DL. He went there asking Roger;s leverage asking for the night session

by Anonymousreply 447January 18, 2018 11:38 AM

Not sure what you meant, r447. Do you mean that Courier asked the tournament officials whether Federer applied some kind of pressure on them to get scheduled to a night session?

by Anonymousreply 448January 18, 2018 12:03 PM

The problem, R390, is when it's extremely hot in the day but not quite hot enough to close the roof, as was the case yesterday. When that happens then, yeah, it's much better to be Federer playing at night than Djokovic playing in the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 449January 18, 2018 12:17 PM

No I meant he went "there" during interview asking Roger . that whether he asked for night session on Rod Laver's arena for two successive rounds? Roger replied that there may be 60 players who probably asked for the same thing . Then Jim asked do you think you have more leverage than those players in getting favor from officials.

Roger defected the question by saying that Novak is pretty popular too so do many Aussie players. I don't know its my call . may be its ad revenue etc etc

by Anonymousreply 450January 18, 2018 12:30 PM

Thanks, ESL. I'm glad that Courier asked that question. Really, in my opinion, the Djokovic/Monfils match should have been the men's night headliner if you wanna talk about viewer interest and ad revenue.

by Anonymousreply 451January 18, 2018 12:42 PM

I disagree, r451. Channel 7 broadcasts the AO in Australia, and Roger v Anyone brings in much better ratings than Djokovic (or any other player). I think that’s what tips the balance. Channel 7 wants the highest ratings possible in that evening time slot. To give you some idea of the adulation RF gets in Australia: people who never watch tennis will tune in and stay tuned in for a Federer match. Someone I know (a tenured uni prof, no less) will actually cry if Roger loses, and she barely watches tennis beyond the Australian leg in January. My father was never one to watch tennis, and hated it when I monopolised the tv as a kid to watch the AO, and yet I couldn’t pry him from the telly during last year’s final. He cheered when Federer came back against Nadal in the fifth.

Federer is to the casual Australian television sports viewer today what ABBA was to the casual radio listener in Australia in the ‘70s. Ratings gold.

by Anonymousreply 452January 18, 2018 1:24 PM

You make some good points, r452. I had no idea that Federer was that popular in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 453January 18, 2018 1:29 PM

The women's draw is a mess. There are only 6 of the Top 16 seeds remaining. Only three players still alive have won a major, and two of those (Kerber, Sharapova) face each other in the 3R.

Which is fine for die hard fans, who will tune in regardless of who is on court because they want to watch the Australian Open. But casual fans are left with Sharapova, Wozniacki, maybe Halep and Kerber and Keys.

I know the spin we'll get from the tennis press, about how it's a wide open event, and there's such great depth of talent. But at some point, don't people have to acknowledge that very few people are clamoring to see Pliskova vs. Ostapenko, or Garcia vs. Svitolina? Won't this have long-term effects on the sport, it's ratings, it's attendance? Or am I completely off-base, and these unproven players can bring excitement and viewers?

I feel like tennis commentators are so caught up in debates on equal prize money, and Serena's 329th death-defying illness that they're missing the forest for the trees, and our sport is slowly dying.

by Anonymousreply 454January 18, 2018 1:39 PM

R454, eventually new players do have to rise up. I don’t see stories complaining about the WTA hemorrhaging money or broadcasters not wanting to show women’s tennis. So why are you projecting that it’s all about to collapse? Keep in mind, these mid range players are all very popular in their own countries despite not being worldwide names like Serena, Venus or Sharapova.

by Anonymousreply 455January 18, 2018 1:58 PM

Updated Federer draw till the QFs

Rd3: Gasquet/Sonego Rd4: Fucsovics/Kicker (what a chance for these two to reach a first GS 2nd week and play Roger

by Anonymousreply 456January 18, 2018 4:20 PM

Old man Benneteau defeating Goffin who just had his best year! Compelling! Old man Federer the favorite to win over everyone else! Compelling!

by Anonymousreply 457January 18, 2018 4:20 PM

Jim Courier looks younger than Julien Benneteau.

by Anonymousreply 458January 18, 2018 4:23 PM

Speaking of ad revenue

Kumkhum-Martic opens the Laver Arena (!)

1st match on MCA

Denisa Allertova vs Magda Linette

3rd match On MACA

Kateryna Bondarenko vs Magdalena Rybarikova

Very good for ad revenues

by Anonymousreply 459January 18, 2018 4:39 PM

New players [italic]are[/italic] coming up, r455, but they’re all so boring. And I’m not talking about “narrative-driven” boredom (that “narrative” crap lazy journos and Ben and Cortney are always on about)—I’m talking about tennis boredom. It’s as if all the women have been brought up to play the same way (hit hard, then hit harder), and none has a plan B (if hitting harder doesn’t work, then spray the ball beyond the baseline). There’s nothing even remotely compelling about that.

The WTA and the army of WTA apologists decide they need fresh blood, so what do they do? They latch on to technically unremarkable players who have won the odd slam in a period of great technical mediocrity (Muguruza, Ostapenko) and foist them on us even though they are among the most unpalatable of athletes ever (I swear that a brat like Ostapenko should be grounded by her parents and not turned into an (un)marketable commodity who can get away with murder, and a Coco Vandewegh should be fined for calling her opponent a bitch on court and not lionised by the press for her indomitable spunk). At the same time, they decide that a lying, cheating player like Sharapova should be given extra prefect duty, and bring her on for the AO draw ceremony. People not only aren’t buying it; they’re actually being put off the rest of the tour by it.

by Anonymousreply 460January 18, 2018 4:40 PM

Rd3 on Thiem/Zverev/Djokovic quarter

Thiem-Mannarino

Marterer-Sandgren (!)

Djokovic-Ramos

Chung-Zverev

No Stan but still the most interesting section of the draw imo.

by Anonymousreply 461January 18, 2018 4:45 PM

[quote]Keep in mind, these mid range players are all very popular in their own countries

Do you really think so, r455? I don’t think a Camila Giorgi is particularly popular in Italy (if anyone knows who she is, they’re probably just as likely to be familiar with stories involving her grifter father). Nor was a Schiavone or a Pennetta remarkably popular until they really made it big in Paris and New York. I can’t imagine Svitolina and Alona Bondarenko getting ticker tape receptions in Kiev, either.

Again, the problem is that the women’s game is going through a slump at the moment. It hasn’t always been like that—there were periods in which the women’s game far outshone anything the men were doing, and other periods in which both games were equally exciting. At the moment, with very, very few really topnotch exceptions, most women’s matches are virtually unwatchable.

No amount of denying it will solve the very serious problem.

by Anonymousreply 462January 18, 2018 5:00 PM

Pennetta was a pretty big personality and figure in Italy even before her US Open win. A lot of it had to do with her looks. But yes some of these new WTA superstars aren't even well known or liked in their home country - Jo Konta, Julia Georges, Naomi Osaka, etc.

by Anonymousreply 463January 18, 2018 5:40 PM

Most interesting matches for day 5 (at least on paper)

Dimitrov vs. Rublev-rematch of their USO match that Rublev won

Tsonga vs. Kyrgios!!!!!!!

Nadal vs. Dzumhur

I'll check the women's scores but on paper the only interesting ones are in the other half of the draw. This half had too many upsets.

by Anonymousreply 464January 18, 2018 5:45 PM

Seriously I hate Maria but I do get why she is a draw. She played at a very high level yesterday. And Sevastova is fun to watch too. There are no personalities in the women's game and really they're so boring to watch.

by Anonymousreply 465January 18, 2018 9:13 PM

PCB is actually cute . This is first time I am noticing

by Anonymousreply 466January 19, 2018 1:35 AM

Djokovic looks almost sickly thin. Tsonga-Kyrgios match looks to be good.....go Tsonga....

by Anonymousreply 467January 19, 2018 2:18 AM

PCB looks like he'd be super smooth, but he actually has a hairy chest. Yum. Love him.

by Anonymousreply 468January 19, 2018 4:35 AM

[quote][R454], eventually new players do have to rise up.

Well, certainly. Wertheim said something similar in a response to a Mailbag question this week: when the big names are gone, *someone* still has to win the Grand Slams. But my point is that if the Slams are won by Halep, or Pliskova, or Svitolina, maybe that raises their profile some, but it doesn't mean the public/sporting world will take an interest in them. Bland, bland, and more bland. It's like a tour full of Conchita Martinez.

If Sloane Stephens could pull it together, there might be some hope. Five years ago, she was a bubbly, charming interview. These days, she's sour and dour with a shitty attitude. So she'd have to start winning AND change her attitude. Probably not going to happen. Maybe Keys?

[quote]I don’t see stories complaining about the WTA hemorrhaging money or broadcasters not wanting to show women’s tennis.

Hmm. It's tricky. Why do you think the WTA has been pushing for combined events? There were great stories about record US Open ratings last year... but how often will four Americans - including Venus - make the final 4 of their hometown Slam? What would those ratings look like had it been Svitolina vs Konta and Sevastova vs Vesnina?

This could all change if Serena can come back for a few more years, or Venus stays near the top, or Sharapova can successfully come back from the doping ban. These three are very capable of holding the sport up, but with each passing year, it becomes more difficult for them. Sharapova broke through in 2004. I'd argue that it's been 14 years since we've had a big-name woman's player break through.

[quote]So why are you projecting that it’s all about to collapse?

As I said in my earlier comments, there's always going to be an audience for tennis - the die hard fans follow the sport regardless of who is playing and winning. But the sport is losing casual fans because it has no personalities other than the three I mention above. It basically isn't televised on the major US networks anymore. I think ABC (through their affiliation with ESPN) still shows Wimbledon on tape delay.

A sport can continue to exist as a "fringe" sport. That's what horse racing is today. It was huge 60, 80, 100 years ago. But today, it's just the Kentucky Derby that anyone watches unless there's a Triple Crown threat. Who watches Boxing anymore? Who watches Indy Car racing? Who watches the LPGA? So many of the sports became marginalized when they lost personalities that carried them. Twenty years ago, the LPGA had some buzz when Annika Sorenstam was playing, winning a lot, trying to qualify for PGA events. But no one stepped up when she retired, and you hear almost nothing of the sport anymore.

[quote]Keep in mind, these mid range players are all very popular in their own countries despite not being worldwide names like Serena, Venus or Sharapova.

This means nothing. Seriously. So much talk about Ostapenko being celebrated in Latvia (parades, postage stamps, etc.), but if she can't draw fans and attention worldwide, it's pointless.

I've followed - and loved - women's tennis for over 30 years. There have been lulls, like when Jankovic and Safina were atop the sport. But the post-Serena, Venus, and Sharapova years look pretty bleak indeed.

by Anonymousreply 469January 19, 2018 5:05 AM

Man vs. Boy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470January 19, 2018 5:24 AM

Rublev makes Grigor appear ultra masculine and virile.

by Anonymousreply 471January 19, 2018 5:26 AM

Ruble is one ugly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 472January 19, 2018 6:11 AM

Nearly 10 percent attendance in MCA during Bonerkno vs Rybrikova match

by Anonymousreply 473January 19, 2018 6:12 AM

May be Porna Coric should learn something from his country man Ivo Karlovic .

Regardless of outcome of todays match one should admire Ivo for his tenacity in this sweltering heat .

BTW where the hell is Porna? At what round he lost ? And to whom

by Anonymousreply 474January 19, 2018 6:59 AM

Dwarftzman beats Dolgo. Good

R474 lost in round 1 to Millman

by Anonymousreply 475January 19, 2018 7:37 AM

CSN won

by Anonymousreply 476January 19, 2018 10:13 AM

Will Smith is also in Krygois / Tsonga 's match . He never comes to watch tennis matches What he is doing here? looking for BBC?

There are rumors about his likings in Blind Gossip

by Anonymousreply 477January 19, 2018 10:15 AM

The level of play in the Tsonga/Kyrgios match is really high. I want a fifth set!

by Anonymousreply 478January 19, 2018 10:28 AM

Offical DL confirmation : Jim Courier is GAY

by Anonymousreply 479January 19, 2018 10:36 AM

R479, I thought that was confirmed quite a while ago, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 480January 19, 2018 10:42 AM

[quote]a tour full of Conchita Martinez.

I love tennis but even I would not be able to handle this.

by Anonymousreply 481January 19, 2018 10:45 AM

Is Ostapenko wearing culottes? It's not a very flattering look for her.

by Anonymousreply 482January 19, 2018 11:17 AM

Ostapenko out! Beaten by Kontaveit!!

Compelling!!!

by Anonymousreply 483January 19, 2018 11:20 AM

It's a long ways away, but if there is a Halep v. Wozniacki final, I fear it marks the End of Days.

by Anonymousreply 484January 19, 2018 11:46 AM

No kidding, r484. I was hoping for a Sharapova/Ostapenko final, but now that's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 485January 19, 2018 11:57 AM

I love Federer, but he really should've kept his mouth shut re: playing in the heat, esp when he's almost always given a night match. They are almost literally playing w/ fire by having them compete in such sweltering conditions. After someone suffers a serious health scare, everyone's going to wonder why they didn't do something about it earlier.

by Anonymousreply 486January 19, 2018 11:57 AM

Agree with R469, but would argue that it's not just personality and star quality that makes tennis stars. You can be bland if the game is good. Play well enough...often enough...and the system will work. Fans will admire you...media and marketing will push you.

The real underlying issue for me is that none of these women are good enough. No one is playing consistent high quality tennis. If Halep, Kvitova, Mugurza, Kerber, Wozniacki, etc. were consistently making Quarters/Semis...we'd be in much better shape. It wouldn't be a Golden Age, but we'd pick our favorites and deal with it. But they're not doing that.

The truly frightening thing for the WTA is that women's tennis is the most profitable sport for women...and yet the sport isn't attracting the top female athletes. For all the talk about depth, there are a lot of chubby, mediocre players in the Top 100. Why are the true female jocks choosing other sports (basketball, soccer, volleyball, track)? The ATP is in better shape, but also desperately needs new stars/great players. So there is obviously a systemic problem in attracting and cultivating new talent (male and female). Deal with that or tennis will become more and more irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 487January 19, 2018 1:24 PM

I agree with you, r487, that a consistent, talented player can be bland but still generate a lot of fan interest. Case in point: Pete Sampras. And another problem with not having any consistent women at the top of the WTA (besides Serena) is that you don't get the rivalries that can make the sport so compelling. I suppose the closest thing we have is Serena v. Sharapova, but that's not really a true rivalry given how lopsided their head-to-head results have been. What we need are some intense rivalries. I long for the days of Seles v. Graf, Serena v. Henin, Evert v. Navratilova, etc.

by Anonymousreply 488January 19, 2018 1:40 PM

[quote] there are a lot of chubby, mediocre players in the Top 100.

Who?

by Anonymousreply 489January 19, 2018 1:53 PM

The current French Open champ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490January 19, 2018 1:58 PM

So do the Aussies or the Yanks get the award for rudest, loudest, drunkest local Slam crowds?

by Anonymousreply 491January 19, 2018 3:21 PM

R491, Ummm, what about us?

by Anonymousreply 492January 19, 2018 3:57 PM

Today the only 2 men's matches that look good on paper are Zverev vs. Chung and Del Potro vs. Berdych. The others will likely be blowouts. Federer destroying Gasquet for the 1000000th time is sure to be compelling stuff. I wonder if Gasquet is mad that Dimitrov was deemed the new "baby Fed"?

There are a few interesting women's matches today. Sharapova vs. Kerber, Pliskova vs. Safarova and Barty vs. Osaka

by Anonymousreply 493January 19, 2018 4:54 PM

R493, I'm also hoping to see Marterer dump last Trumpster left, and Ramos-Vinolas and Fucsovics for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 494January 19, 2018 7:13 PM

Del Potro/Berdych could be the match of the tournament if both players are on, or it could be a dud if either player is off. Interestingly, they've played each other only eight times, with Del Potro having the edge (5-3).

by Anonymousreply 495January 19, 2018 7:22 PM

Predicting Delpo in no more than four sets. Berdych hasn't done anything significant since Wimbledon.

by Anonymousreply 496January 19, 2018 7:32 PM

Who are you rooting for Safarova or Pliskova?

by Anonymousreply 497January 19, 2018 7:39 PM

I'm rooting for Pliskova, r497, because Safarova got to fuck Berdych for eight years so she's already had her day in the sun.

by Anonymousreply 498January 19, 2018 7:44 PM

I'm rooting for all -ovas to be ova.

by Anonymousreply 499January 19, 2018 8:06 PM

R499, so you want a, gulp, Halep/Wozniacki final?

by Anonymousreply 500January 19, 2018 8:11 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501January 19, 2018 8:24 PM

No, R500, I'm hoping for a Woz/Keys final.

by Anonymousreply 502January 19, 2018 8:46 PM

Page not found R501. Summarize?

by Anonymousreply 503January 19, 2018 8:47 PM

Not laughing at all, r502. If Keys is in the final, I might actually watch it.

by Anonymousreply 504January 19, 2018 8:48 PM

Strange, sorry, R503. Anyway he is on Nole's side and says the aim is to benefit all the players. He mentions that players receive just 14% of revenues at some grand slams while the NBA offers 50% for example.

by Anonymousreply 505January 19, 2018 8:58 PM

I'm not sure that comparison is valid, R505, because the Grand Slam sites only have a two-week period every year to rake in their revenue. Of course, they might host other minor events throughout the year, but it's basically just two weeks that have to subsidize a whole year of upkeep for those large facilities. Or am I missing something here.

by Anonymousreply 506January 19, 2018 9:02 PM

Perhaps a compromise between the two figures can be reached, R506?

by Anonymousreply 507January 19, 2018 9:45 PM

Djokovic is trying to have his Venus equal prize money moment.

by Anonymousreply 508January 19, 2018 10:12 PM

I think a compromise would be great, r507, if that means more money for the lower-ranked players. And I'm actually glad that Djokovic raised the issue because now, I think, there's gonna be a more open discussion about where the revenues go. If, for example, a lot of the money from the U.S. Open goes into the USTA funding for player development, then I'm all for that. But if a lot goes to USTA officials and administrative overhead, then I think that that should be questioned. Just my two cents...

by Anonymousreply 509January 19, 2018 10:18 PM

Are Will and Nick a thing?

by Anonymousreply 510January 19, 2018 10:37 PM

Coco needs to hire whoever managed Kyrgios' PR turnaround. He went from vile, lazy, spoiled brat to Mr. Equality who devotes his waking hours to putting smiles on the faces of the poor children of the world.

by Anonymousreply 511January 19, 2018 10:40 PM

There's a recent ESPN article about the 'softer side of Coco'...I guess it didn't help much with her behavior at the AO (she was fined $10,000 for unsportsmanlike behaviour)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512January 19, 2018 10:59 PM

R511, we remain unconvinced.

by Anonymousreply 513January 19, 2018 11:13 PM

Ummmmm, R512, so Coco has a soft side?

by Anonymousreply 514January 19, 2018 11:24 PM

R514, her belly

by Anonymousreply 515January 20, 2018 1:16 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516January 20, 2018 1:23 AM

The hardest thing about CoCunt is her dick

by Anonymousreply 517January 20, 2018 2:02 AM

Marathon match between Halep and Davis. It's now 10-10 in the third set.

by Anonymousreply 518January 20, 2018 2:10 AM

three straight match point wasted by Davis

by Anonymousreply 519January 20, 2018 2:23 AM

Halep I need somebody

Halep not just anybody

Halep you know I need someone

Halep!

by Anonymousreply 520January 20, 2018 2:37 AM

It really says something that the No. 1 seed is not the one who's dictating play against her No. 50 ranked opponent.

by Anonymousreply 521January 20, 2018 2:44 AM

Has there ever been a more pathetic No. 1 seed than Halep???

by Anonymousreply 522January 20, 2018 2:46 AM

I was never that keen on Wozniacki, r522 but, yeah, Halep might have a slight edge.

by Anonymousreply 523January 20, 2018 2:52 AM

Where’s ESL?

by Anonymousreply 524January 20, 2018 2:54 AM

I am right here . Just finished watching Help/ Davis match

by Anonymousreply 525January 20, 2018 3:05 AM

Thiem has such a gay voice . It becomes gayer when he shouts

by Anonymousreply 526January 20, 2018 3:06 AM

I'm not as down on the WTA as some of you but Halep is pretty dire. Sure, she's an excellent defensive player and plays the retrieving style better than anyone but she has no offensive abilities whatsoever. Add to that her 65 mph second serves, her fleeting grunt and that dumbstruck look she always has and I think the WTA is much worse off with her at #1.

by Anonymousreply 527January 20, 2018 3:08 AM

Halep served for the match at least twice earlier in the 3rd set. Davis had love 40 to break for the match. Halep finally closed it out 15-13. That's like playing over 4 sets.

by Anonymousreply 528January 20, 2018 3:09 AM

Halep is this generation's Arantxa, but not as mentally tough.

by Anonymousreply 529January 20, 2018 3:15 AM

I had no idea that Thiem has turned into Misery.

Shouting at his coach right from game 3.

He did the same thing regularly during his second round match.

What gives? When did our sweet Domi turn into such a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 530January 20, 2018 3:16 AM

I noticed that too, ESL, a couple of days ago.

by Anonymousreply 531January 20, 2018 3:18 AM

Surprised to know that suspected gays. Henri Kontinen/John Peers lost their doubles match yesterday

by Anonymousreply 532January 20, 2018 3:20 AM

R530 Thiem probably picked up the habit from Mladenovic

by Anonymousreply 533January 20, 2018 3:22 AM

Chung has the best legs on the ATP

by Anonymousreply 534January 20, 2018 3:26 AM

Zverev's face can look attractive from afar on court but up close in interviews he's weird-looking to me

by Anonymousreply 535January 20, 2018 3:28 AM

R530, maybe the pressure is getting to Thiem much more now that the expectations for him to break through are so high.

by Anonymousreply 536January 20, 2018 3:30 AM

Sandgren is repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 537January 20, 2018 3:43 AM

I had no idea that Sasha's boyfriend is no 1 player in doubles

by Anonymousreply 538January 20, 2018 3:49 AM

Nick Krygois has withdrawn from his doubles match which is understandable consider very hard fought match last night against Tsonga

by Anonymousreply 539January 20, 2018 3:53 AM

Never hated Halep and her no risk game more. She is one lucky little gnome. She needed the gods to break her obviously much more bold opponent to be hurt to get through. Like her being number 1. Just great fortune. Her game is a bore and full of Euro defensiveness. Can't wait to see her blown off the court again.

by Anonymousreply 540January 20, 2018 3:59 AM

O M G!!! I interviewed young Grigor last night and he told me I asked a good question. And then mentioned an ice bath. I mean ice. Just ice. That's all I heard. The kids are so excited.

by Anonymousreply 541January 20, 2018 4:27 AM

Chung plays a similar way to Coric so it's not a surprise that Zverev is having trouble with him.

by Anonymousreply 542January 20, 2018 4:55 AM

ugggh useless Sasha

I wanted him to do well

by Anonymousreply 543January 20, 2018 4:58 AM

Serena v Capriati was much more compelling than Serena v Henin. Serena feared Capriati more which made it more compelling. She thought she should beat Henin but thought she could lose to Capriati. Look at all the 3 set thrillers they had. Henin was just a pest busy bee to Serena. Capriati had a game that could hurt her. And she knew it.

by Anonymousreply 544January 20, 2018 5:00 AM

Serena had a losing record vs. Henin at the majors (3-4).

by Anonymousreply 545January 20, 2018 5:15 AM

Henin also cheated and lied in one of those majors. Remember her non time out time out? She was never above doing that. She often took medical timeouts when getting schooled.

by Anonymousreply 546January 20, 2018 5:19 AM

The Argentine Nicolas Kicker is extremely cute. And bulging massively at the moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547January 20, 2018 5:31 AM

Henin also did that shit to Capriati at the 2001 Wimbledon. She was getting pounced 6-2 4-2 and then took a medical timeout that annoyed Capriati and she ended up turning it around. She was a little sneak throughout her career. Granted I give her credit for improving her game throughout her career but her gamesmanship was always snotty at best.

by Anonymousreply 548January 20, 2018 5:55 AM

I thought Henin had a secret obsession with Kim Clijsters, perhaps dating back to their coming up together in Belgium. After Kim retired, Justine walks away from the game somewhat suddenly. Then Kim makes a comeback, and guess who also comes back shortly thereafter? Henin always came off as having some weird chip on her shoulder or some void or something that caused her to be so single-minded in her tennis career.

by Anonymousreply 549January 20, 2018 6:08 AM

I agree 549. She seemed cold, calculating and hateful. With no friends on the tour to speak of. Whereas Kim was friends with everyone. I've heard her call Lindsay, Anastasia Myskina, Mauresmo and especially Jennifer who she was tight with as friends. Never heard Henin call anyone a friend.

by Anonymousreply 550January 20, 2018 6:16 AM

Third Zverev match and the third time Melo is in his box (not from the start of the match).

by Anonymousreply 551January 20, 2018 6:24 AM

I see Jen C. (R544) is out on parole and bored.

by Anonymousreply 552January 20, 2018 6:31 AM

Why is Sascha so miserable at slams? Bageled by chunky Chung. Wow. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 553January 20, 2018 6:42 AM

Madison is so pretty here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554January 20, 2018 6:46 AM

ESL, you sure do turn quickly if your players lose.

by Anonymousreply 555January 20, 2018 7:22 AM

Wow Osaka totally destroyed and exposed inform Barty

by Anonymousreply 556January 20, 2018 7:52 AM

For a skinny guy Nole has decent a ass . At least decent than Sasha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557January 20, 2018 8:17 AM

Kerbs!!!

by Anonymousreply 558January 20, 2018 8:48 AM

[quote] Madison is so pretty here.

Where?

by Anonymousreply 559January 20, 2018 8:48 AM

Bwahahaha, bye Dopova!

by Anonymousreply 560January 20, 2018 8:52 AM

Seems like all of the ESPN tennis commentators are smarmy, full of themselves, not even remotely impartial, and overflowing with verbal diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 561January 20, 2018 9:00 AM

Gramps!

by Anonymousreply 562January 20, 2018 9:29 AM

Great effort by Kerber.

And tell me it's not just me that's noticed that Sharapova's face has gotten fat. I noticed it in her presser but thought maybe it was just the weird high-collared black top she was wearing that made her neck disappear and face appear fat. But against Kerber it was really noticeable that she was transitioning towards Yeltsin territory.

by Anonymousreply 563January 20, 2018 9:29 AM

Why does the Aussie Open seem to be the favorite major of DL?

by Anonymousreply 564January 20, 2018 9:30 AM

[quote] transitioning towards Yeltsin territory

Is that a disputed territory claimed by Russia?

by Anonymousreply 565January 20, 2018 9:31 AM

I posted on here years ago - and got viciously attacked for it - that a friend who runs IMG tennis in one of their global markets told me that Henin's walking away from the game the first time was a "silent" doping ban. And yes, i know that Henin was not repped by IMG but i believe him totally.

by Anonymousreply 566January 20, 2018 9:32 AM

Kerber should have won 6-0 6-2 but 6-1 6-3 is a nice beatdown. She played well and retrieved a lot of balls. Sharapova was sloppy and did not move well at all. So glad she won't luck her way to another slam.

Kerber has a good shot at winning her third major if she keeps this form

by Anonymousreply 567January 20, 2018 9:35 AM

lol @ the very hyped Zverev failing to go deep at a slam again. This is also the second straight loss to someone in his age group at a slam (Coric now Chung).

by Anonymousreply 568January 20, 2018 9:35 AM

Berdych easy over Del Potro

by Anonymousreply 569January 20, 2018 9:37 AM

Hands and hearts out.

by Anonymousreply 570January 20, 2018 9:44 AM

Maybe Serena feared Capriati more than Henin, but I think she hated Henin more. And that's why, to me, her rivalry against Henin was more intense.

by Anonymousreply 571January 20, 2018 9:51 AM

Berdych vs Del Potro

20 aces

52 winners

28 UE

by Anonymousreply 572January 20, 2018 10:03 AM

I had forgotten that Berdych is 32. Not long ago men player use to retire at that age.

by Anonymousreply 573January 20, 2018 10:08 AM

Did you see that match, r572? I'm wondering if Berdych was playing lights out, or if Del Potro had a really bad day. Or maybe a combination of both?

by Anonymousreply 574January 20, 2018 10:12 AM

R574 both but tilt slightly towards Berdych 's strong performance.

Delpo was bit off after his marathon match against Karen Khachneov

by Anonymousreply 575January 20, 2018 10:27 AM

Berdych posted a hot photo of himself on twitter

He will meet Fog next

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576January 20, 2018 10:35 AM

I am really happy for Kerber! Zverev is putting too much pressure on himself at the slams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577January 20, 2018 11:20 AM

I totally believe Henin was caught doping. A cheater is a cheater. She pulled shady shit on court...why wouldn't she do it off court? That makes more sense than her just walking away.

She always came across to me like a fucked up little sociopath who thought she was justified to do anything because her mother died. And those dead eyes! LOL...can you tell I hated that bitch?

by Anonymousreply 578January 20, 2018 11:30 AM

Happy for Kerber, rooting for her to win the whole thing. She could teach Sasha how to keep his head in the right place.

by Anonymousreply 579January 20, 2018 11:46 AM

I also noticed the other day that Sharapova looked a little more,,,matronly.

Henin--I loved the looks of her game, but unless she had some intense legit workout program, her sudden spurt of muscles was suspect to me. I thought her retiring in the Wimbledon final to Mauresmo was classless--she could have stood out there for three more minutes just batting balls into the net and allowing herself to be aced so ensure that Mauresmo got to experience match point. Instead, she quit, robbing Mauresmo of her moment...implication that she could have won the match were she healthy.

by Anonymousreply 580January 20, 2018 12:41 PM

I would imagine that Serena probably had a grudging respect for Capriati because Jennifer gave as good as she got in the attitude department. I think the only player she truly dislikes is Maria.

by Anonymousreply 581January 20, 2018 2:22 PM

This thread is about to be filled so quickly not even week one has finished .

by Anonymousreply 582January 20, 2018 2:47 PM

ESL, do you think Berdych is playing well enough to challenge Federer, should they meet in the quarters?

by Anonymousreply 583January 20, 2018 2:52 PM

R583. I wish but we have seen time and time again recently that Berdy plays really well in the tournaments but in crunch moments he can't finish the matches. Yes I know he has beaten Federer twice in grand slams but that was eons ago.

Even today when he was two sets and 5/0 up and had three match points on his own serve he could not hold it. And no he was not complacent or lost concentration. He became tight and tentative just like he always does at big moments..

Yes he managed to seal the victory in his next service game but today his lead was too big and DelPo was fatigued.

But do you think he will able to close against match against Federer in the fourth set tiebreaker if he leads 2 sets to one.? I don't think so. He will probably have a brain fart at 5/5 in the tiebreaker and will loose it and will probably get demolished in fifth set.

So 95 percent chance is Roger is going to win. Berdy may give Roger a really hard time but he will not be to close the match.

by Anonymousreply 584January 20, 2018 3:17 PM

So I saw an article on Aussie open official website whose title was " Five thing which learned on day 6' . Each time I clicked on the article to read it

It got a page which only read

Partners The Australian Open is proudly supported by:

Name of its five advertisers

by Anonymousreply 585January 20, 2018 3:57 PM

I watched a bit of the Zverev match last night. Glad he lost. Gilbert was acting like it was a a foregone conclusion that Zverev would win, and Zverev himself douched it up by screaming after every point he won.

by Anonymousreply 586January 20, 2018 4:38 PM

Del Potro was not moving so great. He got a bit of a leg issue in his previous match that carried over. Berdych played decently but it wasn't super amazing.

by Anonymousreply 587January 20, 2018 4:41 PM

I was also unimpressed by whiny Berdych. It was clear Del Potro was running near empty. All it takes is an unexpected loss for Zverev and Kyrgios to revert back to their spoiled brat modes.

by Anonymousreply 588January 20, 2018 4:46 PM

Part II thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589January 20, 2018 4:49 PM

Gasquet has a nice ass for his age.

by Anonymousreply 590January 20, 2018 8:40 PM

First week almost over.

by Anonymousreply 591January 20, 2018 8:57 PM

A

by Anonymousreply 592January 20, 2018 9:20 PM

U

by Anonymousreply 593January 20, 2018 9:20 PM

S

by Anonymousreply 594January 20, 2018 9:21 PM

S

by Anonymousreply 595January 20, 2018 9:21 PM

I

by Anonymousreply 596January 20, 2018 9:21 PM

E

by Anonymousreply 597January 20, 2018 9:21 PM

O

by Anonymousreply 598January 20, 2018 9:22 PM

P

by Anonymousreply 599January 20, 2018 9:22 PM

E

by Anonymousreply 600January 20, 2018 9:22 PM

N

by Anonymousreply 601January 20, 2018 9:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!