Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I found this kitty - Episode II

For everyone who takes in or cares about abandoned/stray animals.

Post your stories and pics here!

by Anonymousreply 158August 14, 2018 8:43 PM

Please answer the following questions:

1. Is it a rescue cat?

2. What did you name it?

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2018 5:08 AM

No one's interested in your pussy, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2018 5:09 AM

I found this cat once and my other cat kept trying to paint a white stripe on it and then rape it.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2018 5:10 AM

I love you, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2018 5:12 AM

My favorite current cat -- but don't tell the others, please -- is Skittles. She is the black cat I saved from the restaurant dumpster. I didn't name her; the valet was the first one to notice her, and gave her that name because she was so skittish. She changes her name a lot. She recently wanted to be called The Black Beyonce, even though I tried to tell her that Beyonce IS black. She now wants to be called MISS Ross, because she thinks she is the original Supreme being. She is very very vocal, and cracks me up. One sad thing about her, though: she was pregnant when I brought her in, and gave birth to three kittens that night. She was so frightened that she hid in the gap under the kitchen sink vanity, and did not take care of the kittens, and they were dead by morning. It was months before she let became comfortable inside, but now she is incredibly affectionate. I wish the kittens had lived.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2018 5:19 AM

I didn't want to hijack Percy's thread, but here is my story...

I volunteered for years at an animal shelter. Though I'm a dog person, they more often needed help in the cat rooms and I learned to appreciate their personalities.

There were always at least a dozen black cats on the adoption floor — they don't photograph well for Petfinder, the lighting in the shelter doesn't do them any favors and they do tend to look alike. Still, I got to know them for their personalities and wondered why they were the last to be adopted.

One black bobtail cat, Mink, took to me immediately — not as a little bundle of need, but as a buddy. If I opened his cage, he would jump on my shoulders and happily ride around while I fed the others, petted them, etc. After a few weeks I checked his file and found he had been scheduled to be put down (he had been there for months) but some volunteer had "lost" the euthanasia paperwork (I learned that was not uncommon if a volunteer or a staffer took a shine to a particular animal). He was just a feral kitten who had just walked up to a kind person and asked to be picked up. She delivered him to the shelter.

I didn't want a cat but Mink was hard to ignore (his coat did feel like mink), and he always greeted me like we already were bonded. Just a total calm loveball. So I was happy when a pet transfer was announced and Mink was going to a no-kill shelter in a city a few hours away.

The weekend after, I came in for my shift and was surprised to find Mink still there. The transfer was overbooked, and he was back on the euthanasia list. I went home that night and couldn't stop thinking about him.

Of course I went back the next day and got him (the shelter waived the fee because he had been there so long). Mink complained all the way home, but once I opened the kennel there was no hiding or skittishness; he explored every corner of the house before hopping up next to me like he'd been home all along. He follows me around like a small dog and is wildly affectionate, but strangely, he has never ridden on my shoulders again.

There's more, but I've gone on long enough... this is not Mink, but they could be brothers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2018 5:30 AM

I adopted a black cat similar to Mink. He didn't really give me a choice.....he immediately acted like we had been best friends for years and of course were supposed to be together forever....and here we are 2 years later and he is so interactive and affectionate that sometimes he does seem like a best friend. Love him to death.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2018 5:37 AM

Great story, R6.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2018 5:41 AM

I was asking my bf about something this weekend, maybe you animal queens know.

On those animal rescue commercials they have on the mesothelioma channel, the animals are always quivering a little. They look cold. So what I want to know is, are they blowing fans on the animals to make them look like that?

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2018 5:42 AM

There's actually a mesothelioma channel? BigPharma controls everything!

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2018 5:45 AM

Every cat my family has ever adopted has very clearly chosen *us* at the shelter, not the other way around.

I always wonder what they're thinking when they do that -- do they somehow *know* where they belong, and think, "Oh, THERE you are!" when their "furever" person walks in?

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2018 12:05 PM

r9- either they're ill or really scared, the poor mites.

Awww r6, that's a great story. I also have a black cat, but he's a Melanistic Bengal, so a fancy black cat (a breeder was giving away her cats after she lost her cattery to the San Diego fires). He's actually a warm chocolaty brown in the sun. Now that he's 11ish, he's getting white whiskers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2018 3:19 PM

Great story, R6. Lucky Mink! Black cats are the hardest to adopt out, because of old superstitions, and --this disgusts me -- they don't photograph well so, therefore, don't show up well on social media, so people often bring them back to get a more photogenic cat.

I've had one black cat adopt me the way Mink adopted you. I was volunteering at a Crisis Hotline, and there were about 20 cats living in the abandoned lot next door. Every time I sat outside for my break, one of the cats would come running up to me, and jump on my lap. Most of the cats in the crowd were black, but I would tell him apart because he had a knot in his tail. On my last shift there -- I got burnt out and was going to stop volunteering -- I, impassively, took him home with me. The knot in his tail went away IMMEDIATELY; it was almost like it was there just so I could tell him from the other cats there.

His name became The Baby Peabo. He was so sweet, and affectionate. He got diabetes -- a few of my cats have, oddly enough, even though I feed them no grain, high quality food -- and I was sad to see him go. RIP the Baby Peabo.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2018 3:33 PM

You guys are the BEST!!!!! Thanks for adopting/saving these babies! And see the good karma? Volunteering at a shelter/at a Crisis Hotline!!! May 2018 bring you Great Joy!!!

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2018 5:25 PM

I've had seven cats in the last bunch of years, and three of them got diabetes. That just seems crazy high. I feed them very high-quality food; dehydrated or canned in the morning, grain free dry at night. I don't give them treats. It seems crazy that so many have gotten diabetes. It is difficult to have a diabetic cat, because you have to monitor their behavior, give them insulin, etc. Has anyone else had diabetic cats? What do you think causes it? All of my cats were feral/strays when I got them, and they were all about a year old. One was five years old when I found her. Do I have bad luck, or are former stray cats more likely to get it?

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2018 7:57 PM

It could be to do with their previous life r15.

My flatmate is an SPCA inspector, so I have many babies coming into my life.

The cat that has adopted me however, is the neighbours. She's tiny and black and fluffy and incredibly clever. Apparently she was an old farm cat. She learned how to get through the dog door without waking up the sleeping dogs, how to open my door, and I often wake up to her kneading my back.

She is not impressed by the occasional feral kitty caged in my room. Not impressed at all.

I live in fear that if she gets sick the neighbours will just put her down (they did that to Mischief's brother - one day he just disappeared because he was 'old.' He was 10).

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2018 8:14 PM

I wrote about my Girl in Percy's thread, but I didn't add in that she'd been brought back to the shelter after only 10 days. She had been in the shelter for over 3 months when we came. The second night she was home with us, we found out why she was brought back. She cried all night long and wandered around as if she were looking for something. Drove us nuts for about a week, but we stuck with her and found out she had a urinary tract infection that had been latent and untreated while at the shelter. They didn't charge us a penny when they found out. We have several names for her: Honey Girl, Boogey Cat, or just Boogie. However she lost her home, our Girl must've loved the people and animals she lived with deeply. She has the unusual habit, for a cat, of wagging her tail when she's happy, so we figure she was raised with a dog and probably lost her friend. I always wonder at the life she lived before she came her, but we do the best we can to make her really happy.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2018 8:28 PM

R15, are your cats overweight? Obesity is a common cause of diabetes in cats, but it can sometimes go into full or partial remission if the cats simply lose weight.

If they're normal weight, then it could be genetic. Or just bad luck. :-(

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2018 8:55 PM

R15 here. Some of my cats have been overweight, some not. I had a 23 pound cat once. Her name was Aslyn when I inherited her frm a friend, but I promptly changed her name to Mrs O'Besity; Mrs O for short. She died of old age, though. The cats who got diabetes were not always fat or even heavy. All of them, though, were strays from the same neighborhood, so, even though I took them in years apart, it's entirely possible that they all shared DNA with each other.. I had never thought of that, actually, that all of the cats might have been related.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2018 9:55 PM

My cat has never been overweight and he's borderline diabetic too. We switched to a grain free kibble and it helped immensely.

He usually won't eat wet grain free food, so we give him only small amounts of regular wet food and cut it with chicken broth I make myself (just chicken and water, simmered and strained).

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2018 10:23 PM

Great stories! Loving this. Hope Percy had another warm and cuddly day with OP. Hope Oscar is still coming around for company and treats.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2018 10:41 PM

These stories make me sad for all the cats with no homes.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2018 11:32 PM

I love this thread. I love the fact some of my fellow DL denizens do good things in real life.

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2018 11:44 PM

I share that feeling too, r22. These nice stories tell me there are countless vulnerable, sweet little creatures missing out on a warm loving forever homes. It's heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2018 12:22 AM

I went home with a guy named Monty one night. His cat had had kittens. Grey and black tabbys. I felt like getting fucked again the next afternoon, so I went back. We had excellent sex and I took home one of the kittens, whom I named Jose. This was a great cat. Not at all aloof. Came running when I clicked my fingers or rattled a crumpled cigarette pack, in addition to the usual can opener noise.

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2018 12:27 AM

^ If I had known what was coming, I might have made Monty more a part of my life, not just Jose.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2018 12:28 AM

Why is the OP's post greyed out?

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2018 12:52 AM

r27 Because your Settings slider is not set to "asbestos eyeballs."

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2018 12:53 AM

It is, R27. Still greyed out.

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2018 12:58 AM

R24, I feel the same way. I worry about the dogs and cats out there whenever it gets cold or rains. I took in a feral cat a few years ago that would not let me anywhere near him for ages. He would sleep within sight of me, but I could not go near him. This went on for about a year, and I just assumed I had a somewhat wild cat living with me. He got along with my other cats, so I just let him be. He started hiding and crying pitifully one day. I knew something was wrong with him, but he would not let me catch him to bring to the vets. After a few days of his screaming -- and not being able to watch him -- I got a sedative from the vet and hid it in a treat. He started wobbling, and I was finally able to catch him. It turns out that he had a horrible urinary blockage, and, when I brought him to the vet, they rushed him to the emergency vet immediately. He almost had a heart attack, and his bladder was so blocked that they thought it would burst and he would die. He was in the hospital for about a week. I cried whenever I thought of him being in there, because he had never known love. He didn't know what it was like to snuggle with his person, and feel comfortable in his home. I would not have been as upset if it had been one of my other cats, because I knew they had a good life, but this poor cat did not have one. I spent more on his surgeries and hospital bills than I could afford, because I couldn't bear the thought of him dying before he know comfort. He pulled through, and, as soon as he was healthy, he became a very affectionate cat. He still runs from me if i walk by him, but he jumps on the couch and purrs like a madman when I sit there to read. He is totally different cat now; it almost makes me wonder if he knows how much trouble I went through to keep him healthy. Oh, OP, that's something you need to keep an eye for: apparently it's not uncommon for male cats to get blockage. Check Percy's letterbox to make sure there is pee when he tries to go, and that there is no blood. It is simple to fix if you catch it early, and I wish I had.

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2018 12:58 AM

Is OP's post greyed out again? In this Part 2?

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2018 1:03 AM

It was not greyed out a minute ago, but now it is. Why does that happen?

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2018 1:04 AM

It's not greyed out for me. Yet.

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2018 1:05 AM

All greyed out and even hidden for me now. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2018 1:06 AM

Yes. It is greyed out. Can someone try to figure out who, what is doing this?

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2018 1:07 AM

Mine is not greyed out.

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2018 1:12 AM

Somebody is FF'ing behind the scenes and not posting to stay under the radar. Or, Muriel hates cat threads.

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2018 1:13 AM

Then why aren't all Asbestos Eyeballs seeing grey, R37?

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2018 1:14 AM

I'm at asbestos and the thread is all greyed out for me.

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2018 1:14 AM

Go out of DL, r36. And do a refresh. That's what I did and I discovered the other posters are right - The OP'S original message has been greyed out.

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2018 1:15 AM

Well, R40, I would rather see it in black for as long as I can.

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2018 1:15 AM

It's greyed out and doesn't show up when you scroll down through all the threads....like it's hidden now. I only see it on my watch list.

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2018 1:16 AM

Why was a kitty thread F&F'd???

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2018 1:19 AM

I went out and came back in, and it is indeed greyed out. Who would do this to a kitty thread? Now I will see if it shows up in my left column of threads.

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2018 1:20 AM

Meow

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2018 1:23 AM

It's Babooshka - the Russian cat troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2018 1:31 AM

I think I've narrowed it down. It's Scrapper - the Trump cat troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2018 1:40 AM

This is so weird. I tried to post a little while ago and it said I didn't have permission to post. My op isn't greyed or crossed out on my laptop, but it is if I look at the thread on my phone.

:( all we wanted to talk about was our pets or strays/rescues, nothing bad.

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2018 1:46 AM

Does anyone feel like someone is lurking about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2018 1:48 AM

r refuse to allow this.

by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2018 2:23 AM

[quote]He still runs from me if i walk by him, but he jumps on the couch and purrs like a madman when I sit there to read. He is totally different cat now; it almost makes me wonder if he knows how much trouble I went through to keep him healthy.

I am positive he knows.

by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2018 2:34 AM

Do you think it's greyed out because OP was tagged from the original thread? I was going to suggest that one of us start thread II so it wouldn't be greyed out.

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2018 3:08 AM

That was my thought too, r52.

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2018 3:14 AM

Muriel needs to fix this shit. This is not a thread deserving of the dreaded grey out.

by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2018 2:04 PM

Here's a lost kitty near me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 12, 2018 2:09 PM

Someone else should make a new thread if they want and see what happens. I got a lot of W & W's for my op here, but still, one minute I could post, then like one minute later I'd get that message about not having permission to post, and then like five minutes later it would all be good again? So I don't know. I wanted to ask El Diablo's dad about those chicken treats for the strays.

Anyway, i hope someone else will try a new thread. It makes me sad that people are pissed off about a thread like this one.

by Anonymousreply 56January 12, 2018 3:54 PM

I'm posting to see if I can. I hope it doesn't become a burden for op to keep it going but the original thread was such fun. A perfect thread for the holiday.

It would be fun to keep it going for updates about Percy and his friends and also similar cat rescue stories. If it dies a natural death, like so many threads do, thank you op for your sweet thread. Continue to keep us posted about Percy. I need to learn how to upload or link pics here because I'd love to post pics of my own sweet but devilish kitty, also a rescue.

by Anonymousreply 57January 12, 2018 4:08 PM

R57 again. I see my post went through and is visible in the thread column where I've made posts. Op's original post in this thread is still greyed out. I don't understand why anyone would do that. If they don't like the thread then just ignore it and not ruin it for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 58January 12, 2018 4:12 PM

Fucking trolls can't ignore anything. They're mentally ill. Unlike the wonderful posters here who care about others and the welfare of animals, the assholes of DL need to feel important by being assholes.

by Anonymousreply 59January 12, 2018 4:18 PM

Can you post a link, please, R58? I've scrolled down to 20 minutes ago, and I don't see a new kitty thread.

by Anonymousreply 60January 12, 2018 4:21 PM

I started a new thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 12, 2018 5:07 PM

The FF button should be disabled except for those who pay an extra fee for using it. Trolls are cheap bastards so they would find something else to do with their time if FF'ing innocent DL threads hit them in the wallet.

by Anonymousreply 62January 12, 2018 9:12 PM

Here! Here!, r62. The FF feature is being abused. Repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 63January 12, 2018 9:16 PM

I’m more of a dog person but I love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 64January 12, 2018 9:16 PM

Dog lovers are also welcome, r64.

by Anonymousreply 65January 12, 2018 9:19 PM

Everyone - R61 has started another thread due to on-going troll activity. Can we go with that link?

Thanks! 🐾

by Anonymousreply 66January 12, 2018 9:21 PM

The thing is, for a post to be greyed out, it has to get a lot of FFs. So,whoever did this..it's not just one person, or two.

by Anonymousreply 67January 12, 2018 9:53 PM

R65 r64 I love dogs and cats equally.

by Anonymousreply 68January 12, 2018 10:43 PM

Where's cutiepie Percy?

by Anonymousreply 69January 12, 2018 11:50 PM

r67, it could be someone with a VPN service re-logging in as different addresses.

by Anonymousreply 70January 14, 2018 12:37 AM

We have a dog and a cat in our household, both of whom entered our lives when we were single and going though rough times. About 6 years ago, I recently returned from overseas and having to face all the emotional shit I'd been able to put off through multiple deployments to the Middle East. Don't Ask Don't Tell was ending and I was feeling like life had passed me by. A buddy of mine had his own issues and was going through a divorce, plus recovering from injuries and he had this husky mix pup his kids had gotten from relatives in Alaska. His wife was taking the kids to California, he was going back to his home state of Texas (and where his long term physical therapy was) and it looked like the dog was headed to a shelter because no one could take him.

My buddy was heartsick over it, because Jack is a mix of breeds that need a lot of exercise and outdoor space. I had bought acreage and an old fixer house on the Kitsap Peninsula and I wasn't looking to get a dog, but I heard myself volunteer to take him. I had a feeling an animal like that would have a hard time finding the right situation where he wouldn't be neglected or abused. I brought him back with me in my truck, wondering what I'd gotten myself into, but he sat very calmly in the shotgun seat, and as soon as I let him out, he raced over to a spot on the property with a view of the Sound and the neighboring properties and left out a very adult sounding, wolflike bowl, announcing himself to the neighbors. A few seconds later, all the local dogs responded, and he trotted back to my side, looking very satisfied, and it was like he was saying, "so let's see our house now."

Like other posters here, it was more like he adopted me than the other way around. Suddenly I had a dog. I'd thought I didn't have the time or energy for a pet, but animals have a way of integrating you back into the company of other humans. I was probably headed for a solitary, somewhat misanthropic future as a confirmed bachelor, and Jack probably got me in the emotional frame to be able to open my life to my husband when I met him not long after.

My husband had a similar experience with his cat, who was abandoned as a kitten by a departing tenant in the apartment complex where he was living after his divorce. Unlike the other posters who had to work to gain the animal's trust, "Fred" picked his doorstep and meowed till he was let in and never left. I was not at all a cat person, but it was clear that Fred was part of the package when we joined households and as I'm typing this, both dog and cat are hogging the entire couch by the woodstove as their "masters" are sidelined to the armchairs. Jack is mostly white--husky colored--and Fred is a bushy charcoal gray, so whatever clothing you're wearing, we've got you covered for contrasting fur.

by Anonymousreply 71January 15, 2018 3:59 PM

Your story almost made me cry, R71. I wish there were more people like you and the others who take in those that need help.

by Anonymousreply 72January 15, 2018 5:31 PM

Pics would make it even better, R71.

by Anonymousreply 73January 15, 2018 7:45 PM

I'm leery of posting too much potentially identifying information online, R73, but this photo (from a shelter across the country) looks a lot like my Jack. He's half husky-Malamute and half lab/golden retriever or some proportion of those. Very furry, lighter than a pure husky with a golden cast, and big as a moose. That little pup weighs almost the same as me now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 16, 2018 12:22 AM

Thanks, R74. Nice looking dog.

by Anonymousreply 75January 16, 2018 12:23 AM

This is not Fred but looks a lot like him. Fred is maybe a little bit darker than this, not quite black but too dark to be pure gray. This also reminds me of him in his favorite hangout on a stump in a copse of ferns.

Before I get flak for letting him out, I should say he has a distinct territory, about a hundred feet out from the house and he doesnt go outside it. Most of the wildlife out here views him as dinner, not the other way around, birds--ravens, red tail hawks and eagles--included. We have swallows but they nest in the small barn far from the house, ditto the squirrels, who keep their distance thanks to Jack.

Fred is mainly content to watch,usually from a window or a few protected spots outside in sight of the house. The only wildlife I've seen him kill are mice and the occasional spider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 16, 2018 12:40 AM

Great stories, r71, and your animals are gorgeous. I would love to have a cat and dog living in sin together, but my job (sometimes I work up to 90 hour weeks) prevents that. At least with cats (I have 3, one is my father's cat) you can leave them alone, but a dog needs companionship.

by Anonymousreply 77January 16, 2018 1:28 AM

They don't really live in sin as such, R77, though I've given them the names here of my favorite gay couple from fiction, they are just "bros," though they took to each other a lot faster than Fred to me or Jack to my husband. Each has his own zones around the house which the other respects and asks permission before entering--the kitchen floor by the heater vent is Jack's and the sun room floor) (currently my husband's home office) is Fred's. They have mutually agreed upon communal turf too, like the leather couch and the brick floor around the woodstove.

I think any animal who was companion to a single person for a long time is going to have a period of adjustment when that single status comes to an end, especially if "their" human's new spouse comes with a pet if his own. Fred was pretty territorial about my husband "Gary"and would literally try to insert himself between us when Gary moved in, in bed, on the couch, anywhere, and he's a BIG cat, almost 20 pounds. Banning him from the bedroom was counterproductive, as he has a loud meow and would just sit outside the bedroom door and complain till he was let in. He can also get most doors open, and since Jack was allowed in it didn't seem fair. Interestingly, they both leave the room hurriedly when we get intimate. Its almost like kids grossed out by witnessing affection between their parents. We leave all interior doors ajar now, it's easier than constantly getting up or having to listen to scratching.

It's been about 6 months now but we've seem to come to a harmonious arrangement. Thanks btw the poster who suggested the dried chicken treats. Fred loves them, though it's now a challenge to hide them in a container he can't reach.

by Anonymousreply 78January 16, 2018 10:13 PM

So this might be gross sounding, but the vet told me that I should give Percy some chicken necks to help with his teeth. I gave him one today and he LOVES them lol.

by Anonymousreply 79January 16, 2018 11:41 PM

Do you cook them, R79?

by Anonymousreply 80January 16, 2018 11:44 PM

That surprises me, OP. I would think that the bones in the necks pose a danger. Cats do love raw meat, though; if you think of it, that is what they eat in the wild.

by Anonymousreply 81January 16, 2018 11:47 PM

No, they're raw, R80. Which is gross but the way they're supposed to be for cats or dogs. The vet said that if they're raw, they're safer since cooking them would make them hard/brittle. The chewing is really good for their teeth, and Percy has gingivitis and plaque :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 16, 2018 11:48 PM

Percy's mental image of himself chowing down on a chicken neck:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 16, 2018 11:53 PM

I think it's dogs to whom chicken bones pose a danger more than cats. Cats are almost surgical about getting meat off bones, but dogs will gnaw on the bones or inhale an entire chunk of meat. It's the way bird bones splinter that make them hazardous to dogs.

by Anonymousreply 84January 16, 2018 11:57 PM

Right, R83?! The crazy thing is that he sniffed it and when i sat next to him so he ran off and ate it under the table.He was all crunching away like a wild animal then sat there and washed the mess off his paws and mouth, and he ate the whole thing! You can give them raw chicken wings too. The vet Percy goes to is really into organic and raw diets for animals and he said that even a dog can eat a raw bone if it's large enough. I didn't know this but cooking bones is what makes them most dangerous to animals. Here's an article I was reading about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 17, 2018 12:03 AM

Lol, he was afraid you were going to take it away from him, OP.

About the only time I see aggressive interactions between Jack and Fred is over food, which can require diplomatic intervention because they can't eat the same treats. We've tried giving them different treats simultaneously but they always have to see what the other guy has. Fred is also in a position to grab food that Jack can't reach, like when Gary first moved in and Fred grabbed a chicken leg off a plate and hid under the bed with it.

The day they form a Survivor-type alliance we're going to have to move the pantry inside a gun safe.

by Anonymousreply 86January 17, 2018 12:14 AM

Fred and Jack sound great, R86!

by Anonymousreply 87January 17, 2018 12:31 AM

Thanks for that article, OP. I know Skittles -- aka MISS Ross -- and my other cats would love raw meat, but, as a vegan, I think it would gross me out. I don't try to enforce my diet on my cats, but I also don't want to look at meat. I buy dehydrated food for them, and that includes bone and raw meat, so they are, at least, getting it that way, and I don't have to see the actual meat.

by Anonymousreply 88January 17, 2018 12:37 AM

You're probably OK, R88, there are plenty of choices out there that meet their nutritional needs, and it's YOUR house.

I'm no vegan--don't want to upset the folks on this thread, but I go hunting and fishing pretty often--but the sight of a predator animal eating his prey can be pretty gross, I agree. Jack catches rabbits sometimes and Fred is one hell of a mouse, and every time I see that, I'm reminded I share my living quarters with one creature who's essentially a (somewhat) domesticated wolf and another who's only fifty pounds or so from being able to kill me.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit to regularly watching the Cole and Marmalade YouTube channel (beautiful black cat for the uninitiated) and one clip was devoted to a black panther in a zoo. It really brought home how the only difference between that fearsome predator and the lazy lap rug snoozing on the couch is size.

by Anonymousreply 89January 17, 2018 12:53 AM

^^^Fred is a mous-ER.

by Anonymousreply 90January 17, 2018 12:54 AM

You are right about Jack being descendant from a wolf. I don't know if you know, but all dogs are, indeed, descendant from them. The friendlier wolf pups would be brought into our ancestors' camps to help ward off prey, and, the pups they had would be increasingly less wild, and, eventually, wolves became house dogs over many generations of living in proximity to humans. (Read the book Sapiens for a better description, and if you're interested in how we became what we are. It's dense, but fascinating.)

And, yes, cats can slip into wild behavior much faster than dogs, and, I, too think that the only difference between those wild cats and mine is size. And they're going on a diet tomorrow, lest they slip over that line!

by Anonymousreply 91January 17, 2018 1:07 AM

OP - If Percy is exhibiting dental issues, he should be checked out and could require some extractions. He can easily get gum disease. You can compensate by only feeding him wet or canned food but it will only worsen the tooth decay and gum disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 17, 2018 1:10 AM

He's going for a cleaning and tooth extraction in March, R92.

by Anonymousreply 93January 17, 2018 1:12 AM

AH, you're a good pet owner, OP. Animals have ailments all the time, which makes me wonder how on earth they survive in the wild. Do they just live with the pain and suffering? It breaks my heart.

by Anonymousreply 94January 17, 2018 4:42 AM

How's little Percy? Still scampering around and following you? Any Oscar sightings? Would like another Percy pic!!

by Anonymousreply 95January 18, 2018 10:56 PM

Percy's good, R95, thanks. He follows me and usually sleeps beside me all night. He really is my best friend.

I've seen Oscar a few times in the last couple of days. It really looks like the tabby, Seamus, is a little more friendly now. Like Ive said, I'll keep feeding them until it's okay to trap them. See what happens I guess.

How is everyone else's cats doing? How's Harry and Anya, and El Diablo?

by Anonymousreply 96January 20, 2018 2:20 AM

Glad to hear all is well, r96. Really glad Percy has become a buddy for you. They really are little life forces and bundles of positive energy aren't they?

Harry and Anya are in bed right now. We treasure the peace and quiet of evenings and gives all of us space to relax and regroup for another zany day. I'm winding down after a busy week.

I can't send a photo as they are in separate rooms rights now.

Hope you are over your nasty cold.

by Anonymousreply 97January 20, 2018 2:29 AM

Fred is curled up beside me as I type, though I think it's more for my heating pad properties than out of affection. Jack is banned from the living room as he had a skunk encounter last night and I'm not washing a 150 pound dog again. He should have learned by now.

by Anonymousreply 98January 20, 2018 2:31 AM

Happy this has happened for you OP. It's been about a month now, hasnt it?

by Anonymousreply 99January 20, 2018 2:32 AM

Yea, R99, I took him in on the 22nd, best Christmas present ever. I love him so much.

I'm totally over the cold now, R97. It was the worst, lol, and my asthma got pretty bad, but I'm all good now. I love curing up on the couch with Percy, he comes running over to cuddle, he gives me something to look forward to everyday. I have to work all weekend which Percy doesn't like, but at least i have him to come home to now.

I love your Fred and Jack stories, R98! I hope Jack learns to leave the skunks alone soon :)

by Anonymousreply 100January 20, 2018 3:05 AM

Ten Signs Your Cat Loves You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 20, 2018 4:48 AM

R77 - Cats need compionship as well. Cats tends to be 'treated' as secondary tier - not as high maintenance as dogs. But I can vouch that that they are incredible creates of habit. And love and even crave human companionship.

by Anonymousreply 102January 20, 2018 4:55 AM

creatures of habit.......

by Anonymousreply 103January 20, 2018 4:56 AM

Thanks, R102. Three out of four cats loved me. The other one, hey, I was only ten. He liked my grandmother best.

by Anonymousreply 104January 20, 2018 1:34 PM

Something to make you laugh OP (Percy's buddy) and others. I may have posted this on another thread but I always get a kick out out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 20, 2018 5:52 PM

Dogs vs Cats. Hilarious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 20, 2018 5:53 PM

More cat world comedy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 20, 2018 6:12 PM

This site popped up in my news feed after a Google search on cat-proofing plants. I'm embarrassed how much time I spend on it now. Next stop, spending the entire day in a bathrobe clipping coupons.

Anyway, OP, it made me think of you. Enjoy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 20, 2018 10:17 PM

PS, if Jack still hasn't figured it out about porcupines after three visits to the vet to remove quills from his nose and paws, he's never going to learn about skunks.

by Anonymousreply 109January 20, 2018 10:22 PM

When I was 14 our cat crawled under the bed to have her kittens. We lay there and watched. It didn't take too much time or trouble for the tiny babies came out naturally then out came the placenta. Mommy kitty then proceeded to eat the entire thing. We were fascinated and shocked, but it probably provided her with needed protein.

by Anonymousreply 110January 20, 2018 10:23 PM

Many years ago, my sister and I shared an apartment. We took in a stray on New Years Eve... she was hanging around our apartment complex. She was so sweet! We are both very allergic to cats so we ha to shut the door behind us that New Years Eve—well, the cat actually pushed the door open and was staring up at us. We couldn’t say no. We took her to the vet, who told us she was fixed—he showed us the scar on her stomach. Well... 2 months later she gave birth to five kittens under my bed. We though she was getting fat—I mean the vet said she was fixed, what else could it be? We ended up giving the kittens away to a good home and kept the black kitten with six toes. I miss Poopsie and Poopsie II and I’m still very allergic to cats..

by Anonymousreply 111January 20, 2018 10:46 PM

OP - Anya napping on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 21, 2018 6:16 PM

r112 Sweet cat.

by Anonymousreply 113January 21, 2018 6:38 PM

Skittles was so funny today! I call her Miss Ross, as you know, but she was named after the Lil Pump song, where he sings 'her pussy tastes like Skittles'. You know the one?

by Anonymousreply 114January 21, 2018 11:46 PM

Percy's Human.....how is everything?

by Anonymousreply 115January 29, 2018 4:34 PM

Skittles' dad here. I stopped coming here because of the troll posting, but I hope everyone and their kitties are doing well. I have four, including Skittles -- aka The Black Beyonce, el diablo, etc -- and I think one is going to die soon. I just have a gut feeling. She's old, and starting to lose weight and be really demanding. Why is it that humans gain weight as they age, but cats lose it?

by Anonymousreply 116January 29, 2018 5:34 PM

Don't let the trolls put you off, R116. That's letting the terrorists win. Who trolls a fucking cat thread anyway? I can understand a political thread, but animals? I was never a cat person before my husband moved in, but over time, I found myself playing with Fred of my own volition, and maybe the last month or so, he waits for me to come home and greets me when I walk in the door. He's a very talkative cat, and that was always part of my indifference/dislike of cats before, they seemed cold and didn't have personalities compared with dogs, but he's proven my impression wrong.

Sorry to hear about your potential loss, their relatively short life span is a definite drawback to cat and dog ownership. It's something I try not to think about with Jack--big dogs like him rarely live past 12 and he's halfway there. At least you have the other ones--I think mourning is less painful when there's others who share the same sense of loss.

by Anonymousreply 117January 29, 2018 7:22 PM

'Who trolls a fucking cat thread anyway?'

Cats are hated here on Datalounge, always have been.

by Anonymousreply 118January 29, 2018 11:04 PM

Aw man, Skittles Human, sorry to hear that. It's been a horrible year so far for furries- a huge percentage of my friends (seems like 40%)- had lost their animals from either extreme old age, HCM or a really horrible reaction to Covenia, which is an antibiotic.

by Anonymousreply 119January 29, 2018 11:31 PM

Where is Percy's "Human"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 29, 2018 11:56 PM

R77 I have the same issue as you. I'm single, live in a medium-sized condo and work fulltime 40+ hours a week. I want a dog badly. It has always been my dream. Saldy with my lifestyle I know it's not possible. That is why I want a cat. Cats can be great companionship too. It pisses me off that people hate on cat owners. There are probably many people out there with the same isssue as me, they want a dog but can't have one. Trust me, if I had the time, money and opportunity I'd get a dog. My second choice is a pedigree cat with "dog like" behavior.

by Anonymousreply 121February 1, 2018 11:15 AM

r121, you might like Maine Coons then.

My guys are Bengals, which are very dog like, but you really need 2 of them, else (like a dog) they get lonely and destructive.

by Anonymousreply 122February 1, 2018 2:15 PM

R122 I have already bought a British Shorthair kitten. I'm getting it next week. I took several cat breed selector tests, this came out on top in all of them. 90 % match or more. I've also read about them and they seem to fit my lifestyle well. They're fairly independent and they can handle being alone for some hours every day, also the fur maintanance is low, which is always a plus. The less grooming needed the better.

by Anonymousreply 123February 1, 2018 6:03 PM

You can always try vacuuming him, R123:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 1, 2018 6:13 PM

' I have already bought a British Shorthair kitten'

DOH, that's not a breed! 90% of the cats in the UK are 'British shorthair'. You're hilarious, paying money for an ordinary cat.

by Anonymousreply 125February 2, 2018 12:04 AM

Where's Percy? Has Percy run away from home - back to his outside cold lair?

by Anonymousreply 126February 2, 2018 12:55 AM

My kitty likes to be outside on nice days but he always comes in at night. Today was a nice day and he came in for dinner. I went about my business expecting to let him out again in a few minutes. I was upstairs in the bathroom and looked down at the tall laundry basket and there he was inside calmly looking up at me. I thought he was still eating dinner. Little spook, I love him.

by Anonymousreply 127February 2, 2018 1:20 AM

That video of cats being vacuumed was great. One of my cats sheds a lot more than the others, and they ALL hate the vacuum . They run the moment they see it. I WISH I could vacuum them.

by Anonymousreply 128February 2, 2018 1:46 AM

My mom's elderly cat is severly overweight, like.. she's FAT. She is out 24/7 in summer, she usually loses the weight in summer, eats less and is more active. She's lazy as hell during winter, just sleeps most of the day, barely moves other than to get cuddles and to beg for cat treats. I have never seen her as fat as she is now though, poor girl.

by Anonymousreply 129February 2, 2018 1:56 PM

Skittles' person here. I had a cat who weighed 24 pounds when she died. I inherited her as an adult, and she was already rather plump. She was a tabby -- odd to have a female tabby -- and I changed her name immediately to Mrs O'Besity, Mrs O for short. She lived a long life; her life was not compromised by her weight.

by Anonymousreply 130February 4, 2018 4:48 PM

My friend has a friend who just bought a really nice condo. They did not submit the highest bid but got the place because they agreed to adopt the owner's cat and care for it. The owner is terminally ill, 89, and going into hospice. We're in a sellers market. It's nice the owner was able to provide for her cat while she was still able.

by Anonymousreply 131February 4, 2018 5:03 PM

We've lost Percy's human.

by Anonymousreply 132February 4, 2018 5:03 PM

I think the trolls drove him away. Sadness.

by Anonymousreply 133February 4, 2018 5:53 PM

R131 Aww, that's sweet. I guess there still are some decent humans left in this world.

by Anonymousreply 134February 4, 2018 6:25 PM

R130 That's good to know. My mom's cat seems fine. She's active (although less now since it's winter), she loves to cuddle and she sleeps a lot. I think she has a nice life, despite the weight. She usually loses it in summer anyway. She always gets fat during winter, though she has never been as fat as now.

by Anonymousreply 135February 4, 2018 6:29 PM

Harry's final post to Percy. Hugs from me and sister Anya.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 4, 2018 6:47 PM

Yeah, too many trolls ruined this thread. It was fun till then though.

by Anonymousreply 137February 5, 2018 3:08 PM

Maybe Percy's owner will start a fresh thread when he's ready. It was a great thread for the wintry holidays, but it did max out.

by Anonymousreply 138February 5, 2018 4:33 PM

This thread will cease to be active, so I -- Skittles/el diablo/MISS Ross's dad -- want to thank everyone who has ever taken in a stray. I hope there are many of us. Peace.

by Anonymousreply 139February 5, 2018 5:04 PM

And I would like to say this thread was crap and I'm glad it's finished.

by Anonymousreply 140February 6, 2018 2:07 AM

R125 Are you an idiot? Of course it's a breed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141February 6, 2018 10:55 AM

I don't understand why people follow a thread they don't like. Oh well. Cheers to Percy and his human...would love an update on the whole pride one day.

by Anonymousreply 142February 7, 2018 11:37 PM

I'm happy for you guys who've found kitties to love. I think I want that to happen in my life, too.

by Anonymousreply 143February 8, 2018 2:53 AM

OP. This is el diablo's dad. I probably won't visit this site anymore -- the trolls got to me! -- but I want to wish you and Percy all the best. I hope the other kitties near you find homes, too. This was a wonderful and sweet thread, and I will probably think of kitty Percy every Christmas, now. I wish you all the best.

by Anonymousreply 144February 8, 2018 9:58 PM

All your cats are vile and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 145February 9, 2018 1:08 AM

I just got my kitten! She's so cute but she's so scared, poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 146February 9, 2018 3:37 PM

Aw, come on back, OP.

Here's some epic floof to tempt you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 9, 2018 7:27 PM

^^^not FRED.

by Anonymousreply 148February 9, 2018 7:28 PM

updates?

by Anonymousreply 149March 1, 2018 12:36 AM

The Spaz Troll got onto this thread and chased away the pussy lovers.

by Anonymousreply 150March 2, 2018 12:04 AM

PERRRRRRCCCCCYYYYYYYYY! HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY!

by Anonymousreply 151March 2, 2018 12:28 AM

OP, how is Percy doing? My kitten is turning 16 weeks today, she's getting so big!

by Anonymousreply 152March 9, 2018 2:19 PM

I had to take Percy back to the rescue after I lost my job, R152. It was really upsetting and I don't really want to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 153March 9, 2018 10:06 PM

Percy was a stray liar at r153

by Anonymousreply 154March 10, 2018 12:09 AM

Is that true, r153? Or is this a Troll?

by Anonymousreply 155June 7, 2018 5:50 AM

Yeah, R155, it's the same troll who posted something similar in different thread about taking in a stray cat. Back before social media, these types wrote incoherent letters to the editor or called in to radio talk shows, but we have something the belreaguered editors and deejay didn't have: the Ignore button.

by Anonymousreply 156June 7, 2018 4:12 PM

I already had R153 blocked so it must be a troll.

by Anonymousreply 157June 7, 2018 7:12 PM

How is Percy, OP?

by Anonymousreply 158August 14, 2018 8:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!