Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is "Three Billboards" This Year's "Crash"?

Utterly forgettable tripe that could emerge as the "safe" choice for Best Picture. The Academy's not going to go for another gay film in CMBYN and Dunkirk doesn't do enough to challenge the cismaleheteropatriarchy. Already there seems to be growing discomfort at the accolades being showered on Billboards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2018 9:48 PM

Was Rockwell's character gay? I watched the film a few months ago and there was a suggestion he was but they never really delved further into it.

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2018 4:12 AM

r1 Hard to tell. Caleb Landry Jones' character was definitely coded as gay and I think there were hints about Lucas Hedges too.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2018 4:17 AM

Given the subject matter of 3 Billboards, it's a lock

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2018 4:20 AM

It will win more because the topic of the movie aligns with the current controversy engulfing the movie industry (sexual abuse/harrassment). The same reason why in the year of the #OscarsSoWhite controversy, Moonlight won. It's a way for Academy voters to do a sort of virtue signaling and show that their industry isn't really racist or that sexual abuse/harassment isn't tolerated in their industry.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2018 4:24 AM

I actually think Ladybird is more likely to win. Directed by a woman, about a woman coming of age, etc. Both don’t deserve the win but politics are driving this.

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2018 4:37 AM

You're nuts, R5. I watched both 3B and LB and between the two of them, LB wins hands down.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2018 4:38 AM

What about "The Shape Of Water"- isn't that a safe choice?

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2018 4:42 AM

[quote]The same reason why in the year of the #OscarsSoWhite controversy, Moonlight won.

That may have played into it, but the voters were greatly aided by the fact that "Moonlight" is an outstanding film and actually deserved the award. Sometimes both realities can be true.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2018 5:03 AM

Moonlight's victory is also likely why CMBYN's best pic chances are dimming by the day: the voters will not feel compelled to reward two gay films in a row.

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2018 5:06 AM

This looks like a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2018 5:13 AM

If there is a rape in it, it will win.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2018 5:22 AM

Call Me By Your Name won't win because of it's subject matter. It is NOT OK for 17 year old boys to be seduced by men! The SJWs WILL NOT STAND FOR IT!

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2018 8:40 PM

[quote]What about "The Shape Of Water"- isn't that a safe choice?

I don't know if a movie about a lady who stars fucking a sea monster could ever be considered a "safe choice"

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2018 8:41 PM

I wouldn't assume that the academy isn't going to go for another gay film.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2018 8:52 PM

I actually also think The Shape of Water is the “safe” choice - in that’s its very classically structured, follows the familiar beats and rhythms of narrative studio filmmaking with the payoff that the premise promises. Three Billboards is problematic from a narrative standpoint because it doesn’t resolve the central conflict that we’re led to believe will be resolved by the end of the film - it’s ambiguous and IMO deeply unsatisfying. I think Three Billboards will probably get Original Screenplay and Supporting Actor - I think McDormand will lose momentum to Saorise Ronan because voters will want to give something to Lady Bird and Supporting Actress appears to be going to Alison Janney for I Tonya leaving Best Actress to only option for rewarding Lady Bird. But I don’t see Best Picture going to Three Billboards - it’s not really very well made.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2018 9:03 PM

I'm surprised that the cast of "Dunkirk" wasn't 25% black.

Is Christopher Nolan racist?

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2018 9:04 PM

Thank you for this post, OP and yes, that utter crap is the new Crash.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2018 9:05 PM

But wasn’t this one of the most well-reviewed films of the year? Something like 88 on Metacritic I think.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2018 9:29 PM

R12, I don't think Oscar voters are known for being SJWs. And rightwing homophobes are at least as likely to object to CMBYN. I think OPs analogy is a good one.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2018 9:33 PM

[quote] I don't think Oscar voters are known for being SJWs.

They will, this year.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2018 9:34 PM

Oscar voters were so cowed by #oscarssowhite.

They have no spine.

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2018 9:35 PM

It’s not a “safe” choice by any means. Pretty brutal at times and doesn’t hold back. Also, it was funny too.

I’d vote for this. CMBYN is not going to be for everyone. The pace of it to start with.... then there’s a lot more. It’s called a “hard sell.”

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2018 10:06 PM

It's kind of hard to argue that it's a pro-woman pic too. A woman gets kicked in the cunt for laughts.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2018 11:20 PM

[quote]The Academy's not going to go for another gay film in CMBYN

If they wanted a gay film instead of more crap about bisexuals trying to have their cake and eat it, too, they would have nominated [italic]God's Own Country[/italic]. In that sense, CMBYN is more Brokeback-like than the one actually set on a ranch.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2018 11:22 PM

Based simply on the Guild nominations, I would say the two most likely BP winners would be either Get Out or Lady Bird - each have 5 of the six major above the line guilds including Actors (every BP for over two decades has had an Ensemble SAG nomination) - however I don't expect either of them to win. Three Billboards has four of six, but since it was excluded from WGA by technicalities, we can assume it would have probably gotten a WGA nom if it was eligible. So let's pretend it has five of six - it would definitely be the frontrunner, albeit a weak one.

The Shape of Water also has 5 of 6, but doesn't have an Actors', which makes me wary that it'll be embraced as BP.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2018 11:32 PM

I want BP to go to the movie where the mute bitch gets finger fucked by a fish.

by Anonymousreply 26January 15, 2018 12:14 AM

Just saw this today, didn’t make much of it. McDonagh’s plays all typically take place in Ireland with a lot of stupid dark banter. I don’t think that translates all that well to the Deep South. Circumstances keep being introduced but have little impact. I guess you could say the acting is good but I think actors of this caliber have a responsibility to ply their talents to more well written work - they make the script look better than it is which is kind of a dubious use of their talent. The whole thing was morally dubious with a bunch of unlikeable characters of whom we knew little about. McDonagh just plied on the dramatic circumstances so the audience would excuse their bad behaviour. There didn’t seem to be much more of a point to it than that. I didn’t think it was very funny, I chuckled maybe 2.5 times. Over 2 hours.

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2018 5:54 PM

Saw it today, enjoyed it, especially Sam Rockwell. John Hawkes always improves a film. McDormand is good but didn't blow me away, not sure why she's regarded as an Oscar shoo in on that performance.

by Anonymousreply 28January 15, 2018 11:47 PM

YUP!

by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2018 9:29 PM

There's a lot less to McDonagh than meets the eye.

by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2018 9:35 PM

Does this movie challenge the cismaleheteropatriarchy???

(I couldn't care less. I hate "message films" and the woman is ugly)

by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2018 9:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!