Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Letterman

Can’t believe he didn’t shave his extremely ugly beard for his new show.

by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2018 1:46 AM

He recently said that he is never going to shave again.

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2018 7:43 AM

Very important update, thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2018 9:02 AM

Will he have young female interns on his set?

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2018 9:08 AM

Surprised this isn't a thread stating that David Letterman is actually a closet gay.

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2018 9:10 AM

^no no no; but trans.......

by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2018 9:24 AM

was in audience for his show a few times. between takes he seemed grumpy, left the guests and paced on side of set,....seemed like unhappy guy.l his early shows were gr8

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2018 9:49 AM

Funny, I wound just the opposite R6. He came into the audience and asked me if I would like to be a part of a stunt he was going to do following the commercial.

This was when he was still on NBC and perhaps a bit less uptight.

by Anonymousreply 7January 7, 2018 1:44 AM

Doesn’t anyone tell him how terrible he looks with the beard?

by Anonymousreply 8January 7, 2018 2:19 AM

What new show?

by Anonymousreply 9January 7, 2018 2:25 AM

his first interview will be with Obama. I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 10January 7, 2018 2:31 AM

r9 his new talk show on Netflix. starts Jan 12th

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2018 2:34 AM

On her reality show, Joan Rivers appeared on Letterman and afterwards said that he doesn't help his guests, he's not "for them" in interviews and he lacks any warmth. It was a good description of him.

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2018 2:38 AM

From what I read he mostly didn't talk to his guests when the camera was off.

by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2018 2:41 AM

Back in the days when he would sit for in-depth interviews (1980s), he was described as having a pathological self-hatred. He feels that he deserves misery. He sits in cold, dark rooms purposefully, etc.

I would not be surprised if he likes the beard because when he looks in the mirror or sees a photo of himself, he sees someone else’s face.

by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2018 2:42 AM

Does anyone else remember when Dave’s mom appeared regularly on the show? He was playing a ril and she was playing a role but throughout all of their time interacting onscreen, you never, ever got the impression that they knew each other, let alone were mother and son. It was as if they’d hired an actress but even weirder than that—they seemed like they were more than strangers, if that is possible.

Once you noticed it, it was tough to laugh at the jokes.

by Anonymousreply 15January 7, 2018 2:46 AM

R13, that actually makes perfect sense. He saved himself for the camera, as many performers do.

by Anonymousreply 16January 7, 2018 2:48 AM

He says that Harry hates the beard. And yet he swears he will never shave it off.

I think Harry may be the only thing he has ever loved, so if he won't do it for him, he ain't ever going to do it.

by Anonymousreply 17January 7, 2018 4:19 AM

None of these stories in this thread surprise me in any way. If you ever got the impression from watching him on T.V. that Letterman was a warm or nice guy, then you weren't paying attention. Always came off as a dick and somewhat cold person from my impression of him.

by Anonymousreply 18January 7, 2018 6:28 AM

Yeah, well, getting boinked by him sure as Hell destroyed any show bidness career I might've hoped to have had.

Thanks for nothing, Grampaw.

by Anonymousreply 19January 7, 2018 6:37 AM

About time...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 7, 2018 6:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 7, 2018 6:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 7, 2018 6:41 AM

I like him. He’s not very warm but I don’t care. He’s intelligent and well informed politically and he used to absolutely ruin a rude guest.

At some point though he got sick and tired of making small talk with vapid celebrities and it showed. He looked so grateful when guests like Martin Short or Alec Baldwin came on armed with funny stories and ready to entertain the audience rather than sit there giving dull answers while Dave fired questions at them. I remember he once said at the end of the show he could barely remember which stars he had on. He didn’t care about them. He wasn’t fawning like Fallon. I guess he got sick of the whole thing. But with a different project he might enjoy it more.

by Anonymousreply 23January 7, 2018 7:00 AM

He did say the experiment failed voting a nonpoltican as president so Rump should resign.

by Anonymousreply 24January 7, 2018 7:49 AM

Who looks to Letterman for political analysis, though?

by Anonymousreply 25January 7, 2018 7:51 AM

The same ones, R25, who hang on to every utterance vaguely critical of Trump from Alec, Meryl, Diddy, a Kardashian or some lame sports figure.

by Anonymousreply 26January 7, 2018 8:13 AM

Actually when talking politics Letterman is right on. Not all celebrities are lame.

by Anonymousreply 27January 7, 2018 8:17 AM

Listening to Sean Hannity is soooooooooo much better.

by Anonymousreply 28January 7, 2018 8:18 AM

The NBC show was groundbreaking but the CBS show was a bore and he was on autopilot the last 15 years. He just stopped caring after it became obvious he was never going to beat Leno in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 29January 7, 2018 8:51 AM

I’ve heard talk about politics r25, he seems pretty savvy. It doesn’t mean he’ll do a good job, but I think he’s well informed enough.

by Anonymousreply 30January 7, 2018 9:12 AM

[quote]Doesn’t anyone tell him how terrible he looks with the beard?

Probably not because 1) not everyone thinks he looks terrible with the beard, Bruce. 2) Only old gay folks feel need to tell someone how terrible they look in something.

by Anonymousreply 31January 7, 2018 9:19 AM

R8 they probably offered him a shit load of money to return. He probably said no 600 times. Eventually they talked him around by throwing even more money at him and he agreed on the proviso no one asks him to get rid of the beard. They agreed.

by Anonymousreply 32January 7, 2018 9:25 AM

At least the beard hides his fug face. A burka would work better though.

by Anonymousreply 33January 7, 2018 10:27 AM

[quote]he lacks any warmth

I think she's right. I remember watching an interview he did with Tom Snyder back in the 1990s and he was just nasty and cranky and rude for no reason. Very unpleasant.

The trailer for his show has him saying he wants to talk to people "with heart" and I laughed -- the guy has no heart.

And in this climate, his habit of hiring interns just to fuck them won't go over well. This may backfire on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 34January 7, 2018 10:30 AM

His mom could be really mean too, R15. And I remember on the original NBC show, one lady who worked for him had her mom call in as part of a skit, and the mom starts going off on how her daughter is too fat to be on TV. I was appalled that he would orchestrate something like that, or at the very least have such poor judgement as to let something like that air without editing it out.

by Anonymousreply 35January 7, 2018 10:33 AM

His mom didn’t do that. His assistant called her mother who called her fat.

by Anonymousreply 36January 7, 2018 10:40 AM

How many cumshots have landed in that thing?

by Anonymousreply 37January 7, 2018 10:49 AM

Yeah in the current sexual abuse/harassment climate, he should be keeping a very low profile because reporters are going to start digging for his skeletons once he starts promoting his new TV series. It reminds me of Louis CK who thought it was a good idea to release his new movie a month after the Weinstein scandal broke. I predict this will blow up in Netflix's face when one of his interns goes public.

by Anonymousreply 38January 7, 2018 10:49 AM

"Probably not because 1) not everyone thinks he looks terrible with the beard, Bruce. 2) Only old gay folks feel need to tell someone how terrible they look in something."

Lazy homophobic piece of shit with a hard on for Letterman.

That's unique, I would hope.

by Anonymousreply 39January 7, 2018 11:16 AM

Except r38 Letterman apparently didn’t harrass anyone. The sex he was having with women in his office was consensual.

by Anonymousreply 40January 7, 2018 11:30 AM

Young people have opinions about how people look, fucking jackass at R31.

David Letterman's beard is repellent, and Letterman himself is a has-been. No one cares about him. This show will go off air so quickly no one will remember it was ever there.

by Anonymousreply 41January 7, 2018 11:37 AM

^^^Yours’ is a breathtakingly superficial perspective.

Are you a repub?

by Anonymousreply 42January 7, 2018 11:44 AM

Script #93-B from our bigley friends in St. Petersburg, R42.

by Anonymousreply 43January 7, 2018 2:42 PM

He said the first time his mother watched his stand-up comedy act, she came back stage and said, "David, that was not funny."

by Anonymousreply 44January 7, 2018 2:50 PM

Take it from this old fellow: when it comes to grey hair, less is more. That said, natural color is better than any dye job.

by Anonymousreply 45January 7, 2018 3:03 PM

[quote]Except [R38] Letterman apparently didn’t harrass anyone. The sex he was having with women in his office was consensual.

Right, on, brotha!

by Anonymousreply 46January 7, 2018 7:16 PM

No one has accused Letterman (yet) of making interns have sex with him to retain employment, like Smiley r46. It’s inappropriate for a person in position of power to hit him on people at their company because it blurs the line between obligation and desire. But so far he hasn’t been accused of making anyone feel like their employment was dependent on them having sex with him. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, but so far not one woman has said any such thing. Maybe he paid them off, maybe he made it clear that if they slept with him their employment wasn’t in jeopardy, maybe he flirted with them and let them come to him if they were interested. But I doubt he’d be even considering a return if he thought he’d be accused of sexual misconduct. Who knows.

by Anonymousreply 47January 7, 2018 8:18 PM

If you have a bed above your studio like Letterman did, it isn't for staff meetings. Just like Lauer and secret door-locking button. Letterman is very dirty and will be outed. That is a very safe bet.

by Anonymousreply 48January 7, 2018 8:23 PM

The yellow teeth bother me more than the beard.

by Anonymousreply 49January 7, 2018 8:27 PM

R48, you're 100% correct. I understand people like Dave but some have complete blinders on when it comes to his personal behavior. He admitted himself that he should have been fired.

CBS helped him bury the situation so it might not resurface since he is mostly retired and I assume payouts were made. He definitely retired at the right time.

by Anonymousreply 50January 7, 2018 9:30 PM

He must be miserable in his private life to drag his ancient old ass out to do another show.

by Anonymousreply 51January 7, 2018 11:51 PM

Some people like to work. At my work I notice some people aren’t in a hurry to retire.

I like Dave but the intern scandal tarnished him. I just can’t watch him with that god awful beard.

by Anonymousreply 52January 8, 2018 5:44 AM

What idiots here, including R52. A man or woman is either good or not good at what they do. Letterman's scandal was involved a power imbalance but not a history of sexual harassment. His blackmailer was living with his "victim."

Dave Letterman is not quite the recluse he lets on though he is reclusive. He was at the white house with the Obama's quite a few times, officially and just with his wife. People are such morons. "I can't understand him because he grew a beard."

"What about the time he had an affair with the homely 28 year old girl that he was obviously infatuated with because he featured her boring ass on his show about 127 times? I was shocked! Dismayed and disappointed. I can't watch a quality interview because he had sex with his mistress when he was single and grew a beard when he retired."

by Anonymousreply 53January 8, 2018 6:01 AM

R49 I Thought the yellow teeth was a good contrast with the white beard.

by Anonymousreply 54January 8, 2018 9:07 AM

[quote]Lazy homophobic piece of shit with a hard on for Letterman.

Whuh? You really need to look up the definition of that word, you silly twat.

[quote]Young people have opinions about how people look, fucking jackass at [R31].

WAH. People get old--fortunately. Accept it

[quote]David Letterman's beard is repellent, and Letterman himself is a has-been. No one cares about him. This show will go off air so quickly no one will remember it was ever there.

Except for the people posting in this thread...and his show is not “On the air.” It’s on Netflix, Moses.

by Anonymousreply 55January 8, 2018 9:25 AM

Anyone who is comparing Dave to Harvey, Louis CK or Smiley is brain dead. The only "scandal" was that he was married at the time. The girl's boyfriend was blackmailing him or he would let the wife knw of the affair.

David had the guts and integrity to expose his infidelity and open himself up to shame rather than kowtow to a blackmailer.

As for the bed in the office: you must only know very low level executives. My own father has a complete suite in his office for naps and showers when needed, This is very common with higher level employees. Can you not imagine that he might want to catch a few zzzzs and take a shower before his show tapes at 5:30? He did not live in Manhattan so he would have to got to a hotel otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 56January 8, 2018 9:43 AM

David is rumored to be horse-hung. Is there verificatia?

by Anonymousreply 57January 8, 2018 10:19 AM

R55, who cares where it's shown? You can stick "Moses" right up your fucking ass. Now it's good.

by Anonymousreply 58January 8, 2018 10:35 AM

I thought we learned at the time that Letterman was hiring interns specifically because he was sleeping with them, as in he was filling vacant positions with his side pieces?

by Anonymousreply 59January 8, 2018 10:55 AM

I don’t remember that r59. I didn’t think he did any hiring. I had the impression that occasionally a pretty intern would show up, hired by someone else, and if he liked her he’d hit on her. But maybe that’s way off base and he chose the interns.

by Anonymousreply 60January 8, 2018 11:42 AM

[quote]His mom didn’t do that. His assistant called her mother who called her fat.

I know, I said HER mom called her fat.

He didn't edit it out, and it was his idea to do the skit with that assistant's mother in the first place, and he just made her deal with the fallout. The poor assistant was a nervous wreck the whole time, too. That little side hug he gave her at the end didn't make up for what he put her through just for stupid TV content.

by Anonymousreply 61January 8, 2018 1:45 PM

He's going to appear as a guest on his old show:

David Letterman Will Be Visiting His Old Stomping Grounds As A Guest On ‘Late Night With Seth Meyers’

David Letterman does not make television appearances often these days, but news just emerged that he will head back to his old late night stomping grounds to meet up with Seth Meyers for an interview later this month. The duo will connect on Late Night with Seth Meyers on Wednesday, May 23 and fans will not want to miss this one.

Mike Shoemaker, the executive producer for Late Night with Seth Meyers, just shared the exciting news via Twitter. He said that David Letterman would be a guest on the show on Wednesday, May 23, noting that they really are just “borrowing” Dave’s show when all is said and done. Dave’s been gone from the show Seth now heads for many years, but fans know that it’ll always have a connection to the iconic talk show host.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2018 1:23 AM

Seth Myers sucks

Dave’s new Netflix show is boring. He wants to be a serious, thinking-man’s celebrity which is the very thing he built his career ridiculing over and over and over again.

He’s and Seth Myers deserve each other.

by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2018 1:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!