Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg isn't quitting her Supreme Court Job anytime soon

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dashed any hope President Donald Trump might have had that she would resign before the end of his term, announcing on Thursday that she had hired a full slate of clerks through 2020.

The announcement bucks ongoing speculation that Ginsburg, 84, is nearing retirement: Typically, justices planning on stepping down don't hire all of their clerks for the upcoming term. Ginsburg's include Alyssa Barnard, a Columbia Law graduate; Harvard Law grads Marco Basile and Susan Pelletier; and Stanford Law grad Michael Qian.

Ginsburg's resignation would of course be a political gift to Trump, who's so eager to fill an empty Supreme Court seat that he's released the names of potential nominees for a vacancy that doesn't yet exist. Trump is particularly eager to see the end of Ginsburg's tenure ever since the self-proclaimed "flaming feminist litigator" spoke out against him during his 2016 presidential campaign.

"I can't imagine what this place would be—I can't imagine what the country would be—with Donald Trump as our president," she told The New York Times that July. Later, she called Trump a "faker" and said he "really has an ego."

Trump called for Ginsburg to resign following these comments, decrying her "dumb political statements" and saying they indicated that her "mind is shot." Ginsburg eventually apologized for bashing the then-candidate, and since he's taken office, she's been coy about her criticism of Trump and his presidency.

"We're not experiencing the best of times,” she said simply in a February interview with the BBC's "Newsnight."

Ginsburg's first big opportunity to rule on an issue at the core of Trump's agenda is still pending, as the country awaits the Supreme Court's decision on Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, a case dealing with whether Americans can deny services to same-sex couples on the basis of religious beliefs and free speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 10, 2018 9:49 PM

Of course she isn't quitting. But the issue will soon resolve itself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2018 7:11 AM

I love Ruth hopefully she can stay in great health

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2018 7:15 AM

I didn't think she would quit. The true risk is that she's going to die in the next few years. She should've quit years ago, when her replacement would have been appointed by Obama. But when we said that, we got called misogynist Bernie Bros and whatnot.

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2018 7:17 AM

Hang in there Ruthie.

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2018 8:46 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2018 9:29 AM

Wonderful! Eat your veggies, RBG; just ten more months to go.

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2018 11:29 AM

Lifetime SC appointments are a serious flaw in the system. A 12-year term would suffice.

by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2018 12:53 PM

R7=Cheryl and her stinky pussy

by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2018 12:59 PM

R7 is mentally deficient, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2018 1:04 PM

Baby Ruth will leave when she gets the call for the remake of "Psycho," She already has Mrs. Norman Bates's costume,

by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2018 1:13 PM

I pray her health holds up until after the mid term elections and the politicians then take their seats in January . It would be truly awful for this administration to be able to appoint anymore very right wing unprogressive supreme court judges. It could set back civil rights for a long while .

by Anonymousreply 11January 7, 2018 3:19 AM

I really get the sense that Anthony Kennedy wants to be replaced with someone like Merrick Garland. A left of center centrist who would preserve some of the things he helped achieve like gay marriage. He would be good for that seat.

by Anonymousreply 12January 7, 2018 3:23 AM

I can't wait till this old Jewess is gone.

by Anonymousreply 13January 7, 2018 4:22 AM

She's a sleepy bad bitch.. but still a bad bitch

by Anonymousreply 14January 7, 2018 4:26 AM

Will she have to recuse herself on any case that involves Trump directly, since she publicly expressed her bias?

by Anonymousreply 15January 7, 2018 4:30 AM

in theory yes.. but in practice I highly doubt any case involving trump would get to the Supreme Court

by Anonymousreply 16January 7, 2018 4:31 AM

Lmao @ OP’s pic. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 17January 7, 2018 4:34 AM

"Awwwww" to all of you ultra-right-wing-Looney-Toon snowflakes who continue to post to this independent-to-liberal, GAY board. "Badass Ginsberg" ain't goin' nowhere, losers.

by Anonymousreply 18January 7, 2018 4:35 AM

tBorn t2021 Age t

Ruth Bader Ginsburg t1933 ----t88 t

Anthony Kennedy t1936---- t85 t

Stephen Breyer t1938---- t83 t

Clarence Thomas t1948 ---- 73 t

Samuel Alito t1950---- t71 t

Sonia Sotomayer t1954---- t67 t

John Roberts t1955---- t66 t

Elena Kagan t1960---- t61 t

Neil Gorsuch t1967---- t54 t

Not Ginsberg, not Bryer, nor Kennedy have many grains left in the hourglass. Even less considering mental acuity.

by Anonymousreply 19January 7, 2018 4:45 AM

Does she sleep listening to cases?

by Anonymousreply 20January 7, 2018 4:47 AM

Her mind works best when she's sleeping

by Anonymousreply 21January 7, 2018 4:48 AM

She does pee lattes 5 days a week, she's in great shape.

by Anonymousreply 22January 7, 2018 4:53 AM

Bitch. I was picturing her drinking piss out of a Starbucks cup

by Anonymousreply 23January 7, 2018 5:01 AM

Outlets like the New Republic begged her to retire when Obama and dems still controlled the senate, but she was too arrogant.

The Case for Early Retirement

April 28, 2011

Why Justices Ginsburg and Breyer should retire immediately.

Liberal-leaning justices such as Harry Blackmun, John Paul Stevens, and David Souter retired during the Clinton and Obama presidencies, while more conservative-leaning justices such as Sandra Day O’Connor, Lewis Powell, and Warren Burger retired during the Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II presidencies.

Ginsburg and Breyer need to act soon. If they wait much beyond the end of this Supreme Court term, the Republicans will delay confirmation, praying for an upset in the presidential election.

If Ginsburg and Breyer abjure retirement and Obama wins, the justices’ subsequent departures will be relatively harmless. On the other hand, if Obama loses, they will have contributed to a disaster.

[quote] Does she sleep listening to cases?

It's happened. Can you just imagine the outcry if that had been one of the conservative justices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 7, 2018 5:30 AM

Ruth should have retired under Obama. And let someone much younger and ultra liberal get a spot on the supreme court justice.

by Anonymousreply 25January 7, 2018 5:59 AM

So... if Trump wins a second term she'll be 94 by the time the next president could appoint a (((replacement))).

Uh huh.

Very credible.

by Anonymousreply 26January 7, 2018 6:34 AM

" SHHHRRRIIIEEEEKKKK! "

R8, R9, & R18 Upon hearing Ruth Bader Ginsburg announce that she'll be your pilot for this flight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 7, 2018 8:37 AM

Watch, she will drop dead by Thursday now.

by Anonymousreply 28January 7, 2018 8:45 AM

People criticize Justice Thomas for not asking questions but Ginsburg can't even stay awake during cases

by Anonymousreply 29January 7, 2018 8:58 AM

Just because you can't stay awake during cases doesn't mean you're not fit to serve on the Supr....

*snore, snore*

by Anonymousreply 30January 7, 2018 9:05 AM

R1 Hilarious - we have a winner!

by Anonymousreply 31January 7, 2018 10:32 AM

That old dried up cunt died 10 years ago. Bury the bitch already, that dead pussy odor is stifling!

by Anonymousreply 32January 7, 2018 10:41 AM

So many deplorables on this thread. I never knew RBG was so triggering for them. I guess she really is that one last barrier between democracy and whatever the hell wet dreams they have. Abortion, SSM, and god knows what else would go away within five years of her being replaced with a Trump appointee.

R9 Why? It works for some other democratic countries, doesn't it? Lifetime appointments elevate the status of what is essentially a civil servant to that of a god. It's ridiculous and a relic of the past.

by Anonymousreply 33January 7, 2018 11:37 AM

RBG would never retire with Trump as President. What an absurd premise. This isn't news.

Just hope she stays alive.

by Anonymousreply 34January 7, 2018 11:59 AM

[R26] I'm not convinced that Trump will be in a position to stand for a full second term and win. I don't think he's enjoying the job and his ex wife Ivana hinted he won't stand again in 2020 on Irish television. But it's actually about who controls Congress that is key to who actually ends up approved to be a supreme Court judge. These midterms are so important.

by Anonymousreply 35January 7, 2018 2:05 PM

This bitch is one of the only people I have ever heard of of survive pancreatic cancer!!

Keep going Ruthie!

by Anonymousreply 36January 7, 2018 2:41 PM

R36 never knew that about her. She's definitely a survivor. God bless her.

by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2018 9:19 AM

what a diesel!

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2018 9:34 AM

R33 Exactly, what a horrible world it would be if we could no longer slaughter defenseless babies.

by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2018 9:39 AM

R34 She may not be clinically dead, but I'm sure she's very cold to the touch. At some point you have to pull the plug.

by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2018 9:48 AM

Judge Judy should replace her. Ruth is one ugly ho.

by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2018 9:51 AM

R41 I don't think she fucked her way to the top #PLEASE-RAPE-METOO

by Anonymousreply 42January 10, 2018 6:03 AM

[quote]Lifetime SC appointments are a serious flaw in the system.

Agree. The lifetime appointment rule was made in a time when people were lucky to live to be 55, FFS.

by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2018 6:12 AM

Ruthie B Ruthie Badass

by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2018 6:32 AM

Ruth Buzzie should remain on the Apprentice is Supreme until she's fired by NBC.

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2018 6:57 AM

She's uglier than me

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2018 7:43 AM

@46 lol

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2018 11:23 AM

I'm like that Effie from the Supremes, declaring "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going".

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2018 2:17 PM

[quote] R7: Lifetime SC appointments are a serious flaw in the system. A 12-year term would suffice.

They, [italic] and their spouses, [[/italic] should be prohibited from working during or after service. Only then can you limit terms.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2018 2:33 PM

She has workout named after her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2018 2:36 PM

*a* workout

by Anonymousreply 51January 10, 2018 2:36 PM

After that business where the Republicans wouldn’t let Obama apppoint a Justice for ten months, after the coming midterms, the Senate will be in Dem hands, and they should play hardball.

by Anonymousreply 52January 10, 2018 2:57 PM

I love RBG, but FFS she was already in her 80s when Obama was President, she should've retired then.

by Anonymousreply 53January 10, 2018 3:07 PM

just so you know, psychic predictions are that she will pass away this year and Trump will appoint another SCJ

by Anonymousreply 54January 10, 2018 3:09 PM

hang in their, Ruth

by Anonymousreply 55January 10, 2018 3:53 PM

Psychic predictions especially failed ones are ten a penny [R54]

by Anonymousreply 56January 10, 2018 4:00 PM

*there

(Sorry, my phone chose the spelling I wouldn't have, and I didn't proof it)

by Anonymousreply 57January 10, 2018 4:02 PM

I want her to hang on until at least the 2018 Senate is installed. Trump is such a disaster for most people that maybe, the Dems will take the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 58January 10, 2018 4:05 PM

Silly cunt thinks hiring interns will fend off the Grim Reaper.... Ha ha

by Anonymousreply 59January 10, 2018 4:24 PM

Siempre viva, Ruth!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 10, 2018 4:26 PM

How do the other justices stand that rotting corpse odor?

by Anonymousreply 61January 10, 2018 6:23 PM

The wise Latina uses her hoodoo to distract from the stench

by Anonymousreply 62January 10, 2018 6:25 PM

[quote] just so you know, psychic predictions are that she will pass away this year and Trump will appoint another SCJ

I think that has less to do with psychic predictions and more with actuarial tables.

[quote] After that business where the Republicans wouldn’t let Obama appoint a Justice for ten months, after the coming midterms, the Senate will be in Dem hands, and they should play hardball.

Where do you think the repubs got the idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 10, 2018 8:28 PM

Maybe [R63] but the person I was replying too claimed it was a psychic prediction. I do hope republicans don't complain when or if a Republican President experiences the same tactics over supreme court nominee from Democrats in Congress regardless of who 'did it first'.

by Anonymousreply 64January 10, 2018 8:33 PM

Of course you do, R64

by Anonymousreply 65January 10, 2018 9:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!