Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I want to talk about.......Susan Powter.

Give me ALL the dirt girls....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 16, 2018 4:50 AM

Are you sure that's not Lana Wachowski in the photo?

by Anonymousreply 1January 6, 2018 1:46 AM

I seem to recall she wanted people to eat potatoes to lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 2January 6, 2018 1:46 AM

LOLOLLOL! OP I bet you won't find too many people who even remember her. She was really nuts. Certifiable. Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 3January 6, 2018 1:46 AM

stop the insanity!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4January 6, 2018 1:56 AM

The low-fat, high carb diet must have driven her nuts. She'd rhapsodize about eating noodles with lentil sauce all weekend. Yecccch.

by Anonymousreply 5January 6, 2018 2:02 AM

She is actually brilliant. Lives completely off the grid somewhere in New Mexico. Wrote a very open and honest book about how she was an alcoholic during her "Stop The Insanity" years, and exposed a lot of truths in regards to who is most susceptible to alcohol addiction. It didn't nearly get enough attention, probably because she is so outspoken and opinionated and loud. She doesn't suffer a single fool. Is definitely eccentric, but is bold. Her first book was full of shit, but her second book "Food" blatantly disclosed that she was wrong about fat. She's a force of nature and should have had a second career as something like a motivational speaker.

No, I'm not Susan. I've just been following her for years, from her books to her now-defunct YouTube channel, and she's pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6January 6, 2018 2:03 AM

believe it or not I still use her Minestrone soup recipe tucked into one of her self help books about sobriety!

by Anonymousreply 7January 6, 2018 2:03 AM

Is Rosie running her Twitter account?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 6, 2018 2:12 AM

Did she get fat again?

by Anonymousreply 9January 6, 2018 2:17 AM

If that’s what she looks like now, I’m impressed. She looked 40 back THEN. She aged well!

by Anonymousreply 10January 6, 2018 2:20 AM

Has she got a girlfriend/partner?

by Anonymousreply 11January 6, 2018 2:24 AM

She had an internet radio show and blog years ago, but now just posts about her food on twitter. There is really no other details about her current life or recent photos of her. I wish she would do a podcast or videos or something again because she was fascinating to just listen to.

by Anonymousreply 12January 6, 2018 2:24 AM

She deleted all her YouTube videos. I think she got tired of lazy Americans getting fatter and not giving a damn. She also refuse to post recent pics of herself. I think she lives in Nevada now. She nuts, but smart as fuck. And yes, her social cues are 100% thrown out the window.

by Anonymousreply 13January 6, 2018 2:35 AM

R13, I am the first one to say I'm an idiot, so with that shield, I'm going to ask you: what do you mean with your last sentence?

by Anonymousreply 14January 6, 2018 2:37 AM

She really was an opportunist, going after the Sobriety crowd once her diet spiel dried up. Remember when a relative told the press she was never really that fat in the first place?

I saw her in a local bookstore once, a roomful of human balloons there to cheer her on and buy her latest crap. I found her fun camp at the time, an icon for the times, so was looking forward to hearing and meeting her -- until she stopped mid-sentence and yelled at a guy with a fancy camera taking photos, told him no cameras allowed because she didn't like people selling shots to the tabloids. Shots of her in front of a room, right. Even then I was thinking "As if, lady" when the photog politely replied that he was with the local newspaper and would be happy not to oblige and not give her any publicity. She changed on the spot, all smiles. What a fucking phony.

Her whole schtick was based on some cockeyed formula she'd made up for seeing what percentage of food was fat grams. When I asked her what difference it made what percentage the fat was since the calorie count was on the package, she said, "BECAUSE, Mr. Man..." in her best dykey attitude voice. I could sense her followers glaring and I didn't hear the rest of her answer because I was afraid they might stampede and squish me for challenging their hero du jour. I got out of there fast, didn't bother to get anything signed. Though I still have one of those "arm flesh fat measurer" thingies I got in her box set when I saw it discounted to a few bucks years later. STOP THE INSANITY indeed! And eventually they did.

by Anonymousreply 15January 6, 2018 2:40 AM

Hard to believe she drank upwards of 24 beers/day. How she didn't get fat is still a mystery. Fat is not the problem, sugar (carbs) is.

by Anonymousreply 16January 6, 2018 2:43 AM

Vodka/seltzer is the way to lose weight and still drink. I did it and lost over 30 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 17January 6, 2018 2:45 AM

How does she make money to eat nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 18January 6, 2018 2:56 AM

All the big fat gals whose husbands had married them at 110 pounds and now had lost interest in them at 240 LOVED her " It is not YOUR fault you are fat, you have been misled. It is fat that makes you fat. I would rather you eat 120 baked potatoes than 1 steak. You know why? 120 Potatoes has less fat than one Porterhouse steak! You have been lied to ladies!"

And all the big fat asses ran out and bought fat free bakery that was nothing but simple sugar and flour and ballooned up to 350.

by Anonymousreply 19January 6, 2018 2:56 AM

She sure was crazy but I found her entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 20January 6, 2018 2:59 AM

I still have parts of her ever running infomercials memorized: "Those popcorn guys are big time liars." I was a drinker then so, around my 11th beer, she'd be on like clockwork -- on a dozen channels. Her and Richard Simmons and his own weight loss stuff including the 800 lb guy who lost it all (to my shock) and then gained it all back later once the infomercials ended (also to my shock... how are these people still alive?)

by Anonymousreply 21January 6, 2018 3:03 AM

How did her diet work? I get the whole grains/fruits/vegetables as carbs, but fat was bad?

Did she address sugar at all? Or simple versus complex carbs?

by Anonymousreply 22January 6, 2018 3:12 AM

Seriously, THIS was the formula you were supposed to do on every food product you bought: Number of fat grams x 9 = X X divided by total calories.

I ask you: how does this help one lose weight?

by Anonymousreply 23January 6, 2018 3:17 AM

(I told you it was hogwash she just made up. Why the number 9 to multiply by? And yet people bought it, hook line and sinker).

by Anonymousreply 24January 6, 2018 3:18 AM

There are 9 calories in a gram of fat.

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2018 3:23 AM

And you had a daily total to follow?

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2018 3:27 AM

Her whole thing was that the Low Fat industry was lying to everyone and you had to use that formula to see just how much those foods were making you fat. She was great for the beginning of Vicim Culture because she really did rely on the "It's not your fault, you didn't know you were being lied to on the labeling" attack. As if I need that formula to know sour cream isn't a good idea, Low Fat or not.

by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2018 3:30 AM

She’s a master at vaguetweeting. (There’s a DL thread on vaguebooking.)

by Anonymousreply 28January 6, 2018 3:35 AM

Not a total. You just always chose the lowest percentage of fat. So the fatasses always chose the pasta. And got fatter.

by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2018 3:38 AM

And what about healthy fats? Or did she broadly label everything as “fat”?

by Anonymousreply 30January 6, 2018 3:40 AM

I was always suspicious about whether she really was fat because I remember in the infomercials she would always use the same blurry black and white photo.

I attended a taping of the Canadian TV talk show Shirley (Mary! I am dating myself) and the audience loved her. We laughed at everything she said.

I also remember the story she told in her infomercial about how one of the best things about losing weight was feeling her thighs rub together.

by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2018 3:42 AM

R23, was the magic number 33 by chance?

by Anonymousreply 32January 6, 2018 3:45 AM

She went on and on about how her husband leaving her made her get fat. Then it was revealed that her husband was still living with her, albeit in a separate room. She was just so full of shit. He had never left.

"Hey, husband who left me, my thighs don't rub together anymore!" I remember that from the infomercial too.

by Anonymousreply 33January 6, 2018 3:48 AM

I did her fat free craze in high school, and actually got really skinny. Not sure how, but I did.

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2018 3:55 AM

How high was she while doing this?

And the audience eats it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 6, 2018 4:04 AM

My mother went to a taping of her talk show and came back taking about how you could make ground chicken breast edible by soaking it in boiling water, then rinsing it with more boiling water. After a couple of cycles, it was safe to eat.

The other thing I remember involved Pam. Since food with a half gram of fat or less per serving could legally be labeled fat-free, they made the serving size a half-second spray knowing that no one sprayed for such a short time. This tricked you into spraying two or even three grams of fat into your pan. Fat, fat, fat!

by Anonymousreply 36January 6, 2018 4:10 AM

R35, she wasn't high on anything except the success of her weight-loss brainwave (one that is terribly outdated). And probably the money. But having an audience listen to her is what she was born to have. Someone above said she has removed all of her YouTube videos, and that is a shame--she exerts the exact same life-force and energy about that which she feels most passionate, many years after STI.

by Anonymousreply 37January 6, 2018 5:01 AM

To be fair she was just promoting the conventional wisdom of the time. It's a shame that the low fat, high carb diet was pushed for so long. Maybe some people are ok eating that way but most people will get fat eating tons of bread and pasta and it's the reason for the obesity epidemic.

by Anonymousreply 38January 6, 2018 5:08 AM

[quote]My mother went to a taping of her talk show and came back taking about how you could make ground chicken breast edible by soaking it in boiling water, then rinsing it with more boiling water. After a couple of cycles, it was safe to eat.

Hmmm. And Powter expected you to be able to get this down??

by Anonymousreply 39January 6, 2018 5:09 AM

I am wildly curious if she is in a relationship. She has a net worth of 6 million and taught classes over Skype or individual sessions. I guess that might cover basic bills. She lives in earth ship housing. I am just fascinated with this bitch. She has an ego the size of the Grand Canyon. I can’t believe she has just ghosted from most social things. I need to see what she looks like today, but bitch won’t ever post pictures.

by Anonymousreply 40January 6, 2018 3:10 PM

(R35) I beg to differ about her not being high. Everything about her affect screams "cokehead!" Or some other kind of amphetemine. It's so obvious. That would explain her ability to guzzle beer, stay thin and talk a blue streak. She is fucking manic!

by Anonymousreply 41January 6, 2018 4:55 PM

r40 she is fascinating, isn't she? She appeared out of nowhere in the '90s, then disappeared. She was smart though, and I assume she invested or she still has a lot of the money she made.

by Anonymousreply 42January 6, 2018 6:03 PM

Watching that infomercial clip reminds me just what my question to her was at the bookstore (i mention above): what difference does it make WHAT PERCENTAGE of the serving is fat if it still only amounts to 1 gram? Something they aren't allowed to lie about, no doubt. Again, I don't remember the answer because I was too busy dodging glares from her disciples. I'd still like to know. All those poor fools and their calculators figuring out the fat percentage in a cracker...

by Anonymousreply 43January 6, 2018 6:23 PM

R41, watching that clip again, I think you're right. I did watch all of her YouTube videos when she had a channel a few years back, and she was toned-down because there was no giant audience to whip up, but naturally, she is garrulous and energetic and meandering in her thoughts and extremely passionate. Even about things like eating newly-harvested corn at midnight (I am not kidding). Still love the woman--her hubris, her opinions, her intelligence, her everything.

One of the last things she said to Richard Simmons on one of her videos, very clearly and calmly: "Put some pants on...and STOP IT."

by Anonymousreply 44January 6, 2018 7:29 PM

Man I remember my friends and I obsessing over fat grams in college in the 90s. Powter's quote "food doesn't make you fat; fat makes you fat" is imprinted on my brain.

by Anonymousreply 45January 6, 2018 7:58 PM

She lives in Las Vegas now.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2018 12:37 PM

I think she may be bipolar. She starts so many projects only to stop them midway. She tweets very vague things.

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2018 12:42 PM

OP wants to talk about Susan... but what about Kevin? We need to talk about Kevin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2018 1:03 PM

[quote] Fat is not the problem, sugar (carbs) is.

True! Fat doesn't make you fat (it satisfies hunger cravings). Excess calories and sugar/carbs (which increase hunger) does! I didn't lose any weight until I learned this truth.

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2018 1:21 PM

Does twitter know she’s a woman with dreads? She’d BETTER go into hiding!

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2018 2:06 PM

*white woman

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2018 2:06 PM

In my opinion, Susan Powter is a mentally ill charlatan, a misandrist and likely suffers with an eating disorder. I'm surprised she is not the most famous woman in the world.

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2018 4:25 PM

You people are so slow. She's hiding in plain sight while enjoying her new career as the Long Island Medium aka Theresa Caputo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2018 5:33 PM

R53 she looks great!!!

by Anonymousreply 54April 20, 2018 5:49 PM

[quote]Give me ALL the dirt girls....

God, you’re a moron.

by Anonymousreply 55April 20, 2018 6:07 PM

Yeh, she was on something during those infomercials.

by Anonymousreply 56April 20, 2018 6:25 PM

She is really freaking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 57April 20, 2018 6:25 PM

When I read the thread title, I confused her with Wendy O Williams and I thought she had committed suicide. I'm glad she's still among the living.

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2018 6:39 PM

Typical con artist selling stupid shit for profit.

by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2018 7:23 PM

Man, that infomercial is a blast to the past, thanks for linking it!

I adored her at that time. Her energy, her honesty, her attitude... I totally had a girl-crush on her, lol!

by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2018 3:56 AM

I hate her. Because of her, I ate as fat free as possible from age 15-22. All those carbs at that age made more fat cells than I would have had if I had eaten low carb instead. Now I gain weight just looking at a carb. She’s a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2018 6:31 AM

R55, Bitch, if you don’t have the dirt, get to steppin’. Fucking hoe!

by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2018 6:57 AM

Susan Powter! Haven't thought about her in years!

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2018 1:12 PM

People don't understand the basis concept of weight loss- you need to take in less than you burn off. Doesn't matter what form the calories are in, you can eat fifteen heads of heads of lettuce or one candy bar. It really requires education of what a portion size is for the food you want to eat. It's simple. My mom always practiced 'push aways'. After you eat a balanced meal you push away from the table. Get up so you aren't tempted to over eat. People just want to eat like pigs and suffer no consequences.

by Anonymousreply 64April 21, 2018 1:43 PM

[quote]Bitch, if you don’t have the dirt, get to steppin’. Fucking hoe!

Do continue to prove my point, retard.

See below, moron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 21, 2018 1:58 PM

Is she on meth now?

by Anonymousreply 66April 21, 2018 2:05 PM

R55=Erna

by Anonymousreply 67April 21, 2018 2:07 PM

R65 had to remove the hoe from her ass in order to take the photo. It's the DL asshole, get, buy or find a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 68April 21, 2018 2:08 PM

Winged you, didn't I R68?

by Anonymousreply 69April 21, 2018 2:13 PM

No, R69, as I wasn't your original target. I'm just an anon who thinks you're a humorless jerk.

by Anonymousreply 70April 21, 2018 2:15 PM

[quote]I'm just an anon

I'll bet you are.

by Anonymousreply 71April 21, 2018 2:17 PM

It's a Susan Powter thread, R71. Life's too short to waste it on people like you. Enjoy your day.

by Anonymousreply 72April 21, 2018 2:22 PM

Since when did she become Heidi from Lords of Salem?

by Anonymousreply 73April 21, 2018 2:26 PM

[quote] Life's too short to waste it on people like you.

Yet, you respond.

by Anonymousreply 74April 21, 2018 2:28 PM

[quote]My mom always

Nobody cares what any DLer's mother did back in 1962. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 75April 21, 2018 3:13 PM

R55: Hello, Miss Powter. How's tricks?

by Anonymousreply 76April 22, 2018 2:31 AM

I dug up my grandpa and skull fucked his corpse

by Anonymousreply 77April 22, 2018 3:50 AM

I saw her on the cover of a magazine a few years ago and it stated that she had become a militant lesbian. I watched more recent you tube clips of her and all the old smiles were gone - she frowned and acted downright crabby. Kind of a turn-off.

by Anonymousreply 78April 22, 2018 4:05 AM

Susan back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 22, 2018 4:07 AM

Recent Susan. She looks like Lily Munster's weird sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 22, 2018 4:10 AM

I eat R55’s excrement.

by Anonymousreply 81April 22, 2018 4:26 AM

The trouble is, she was NEVER fat. She only had that one blurry photograph but wow did she ever capitalise on it. A charismatic fraud.

by Anonymousreply 82April 22, 2018 10:26 AM

R78: Isn't she vegan? I'd be irritable, too.

by Anonymousreply 83April 23, 2018 12:51 AM

I remember the idiot writing about the hidden fat in certain fish and how those fish should be avoided.

Dumb bish didn't even know that it was good fat(Omega 3).

by Anonymousreply 84April 23, 2018 12:56 AM

She's probably bipolar and self medicated with alcohol. She's way too hopped up in her TV appearances either due to bipolar mania or cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 85May 16, 2018 4:35 AM

Also, bipolars love to change their hair style and color every other day when they're manic. Black, purple, pink, red, platinum blonde, short, long, buzzed, dreads....

by Anonymousreply 86May 16, 2018 4:37 AM

The comments section has some interesting messages from people who claim to know her and say she's bi-polar and off her meds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 16, 2018 4:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!