Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amazon's Sci-Fi Anthology Series: Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

Based on the works of Phillip K. Dick. Starring Steve Buscemi, Bryan Cranston, Richard Madden, Geraldine Chaplin, Anna Paquin, Lara Pulver, Vera Farmiga, Janelle Monáe, Maura Tierney, Greg Kinnear...

The sixth episode aired at the end of October and the remaining four air on 12 January.

Have you seen it? How does it compare to Black Mirror?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2018 9:44 PM

OP, it hasn't been released in the US yet. Is it worth watching?

by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2018 7:17 AM

R1 I stopped the first episode twenty minutes in as it was just so unbearably slow and the conceit seemed dated. Plus Richard Madden's peculiar muffled voice put me near to sleep. He's very handsome but they should really pay more attention when they're sound editing his lines.

I'll watch it again and binge the rest of the season once the last episode airs. I do wonder how much traction it'll get on Twitter, the AV Club etc. as Amazon is pretty shit at promoting its shows. The word of mouth will be pretty crucial, I should think.

by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2018 2:48 PM

I’ve only seen the first episode and I liked it. I’ll watch the rest on Amazon. Can’t say how it compares to Black Mirror, I haven’t gotten around to watching Black Mirror yet.

by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2018 3:25 PM

I really liked episode 2 with Zoe Kasdan and directed by DL from another time Peter Horton.

Funny my episodes are not in the same order as IMDb has listed. 1 was Real Life 2 Autofac. Right now I’m watching Human Is with some of favorite actors Bryan Cranston, Effie Davis and Liam Cunningham.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2018 10:36 AM

DL Fave

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2018 10:42 AM

Does it feature a Giorgio Moroder soundtrack?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2018 10:57 AM

I’m bored with the Cranston/ Davis episode. I hope there will be a satisfying twist at the end.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2018 11:10 AM

I watched the first episode. It plays like a regular tv procedural whereas Black Mirror is more cinematic and artistic.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2018 5:16 AM

How many short stories did this Dick guy write?

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2018 5:20 AM

121 short stories.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2018 9:57 AM

I liked Kill the Others, obviously influenced by Trump and MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2018 6:07 AM

An article comparing the two that addresses the main differences.

I still haven't finished the first episode of ED and I've tried twice now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2018 5:58 PM

I believe I saw 8 out of the ten episodes. The only two I was kind of ok about were the Stranger Things / Body Snatchers rip-off and the one with Geraldine Chaplin, Impossible Planets, which features a nice butt shot of the male lead at the end. The rest were just terrible.

Black Mirror and Hulu's Dimension 404 are a million miles better even though some of the Amazon anthology series seemed to have a way bigger budget.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2018 6:08 PM

Link to Mireille Enos episode pls

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2018 6:16 PM

Really bad, dated, and cheap.

I knew from the absolutely TERRIBLE and amateurish opening credits that it would be awful. A neon manta ray? Purple butterflies on a moon? Dancing babies??!

The source material is great, but this series is an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2018 9:36 PM

The opening credits are basically a non-ironic Scary Door intro.

Pure dated .schlock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2018 9:38 PM

[quote]How many short stories did this Dick guy write?

Could you be more specific -- this is DL so that could be literally anyone.

by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2018 9:39 PM

R13 Damn, that's disappointing to hear. I was hoping the first one was just a fluke and that I'll enjoy the rest of them more. I'll still watch the whole season as I want to support the genre but it really seems like this series is a decade or so late to the scene. The John Carter and Valerian of sci-fi television; the source material was there first but the adaptation just didn't come soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2018 9:40 PM

John Carter if done well could still be entertaining. People LOVE the Pirates of the Caribbean series, and I really enjoyed the first one too.

I actually thought the recent version was fine -- it didn't blow me away but it entertained me -- but they spent so much money on it, it was doomed from the start.

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2018 9:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!