Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Top 5 Gay Saunas in Europe

Rank them, Eurogays.

And no more than two can be from the same city.

by Anonymousreply 55February 15, 2020 11:01 PM

Paraiso in madrid is excellent.

Bad am Römerturm is even better in Cologne.

by Anonymousreply 1January 1, 2018 9:05 PM

5 Best Gay Saunas in Europe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2018 10:48 PM

Boiler in Berlin and Badehaus am Römerturm in Cologne. At the latter, I’ve been there when the steam room was so tightly packed that if you opened the door, guys would lose their balance.

by Anonymousreply 3January 2, 2018 12:52 AM

is the Thermos in amsterdam still open?

by Anonymousreply 4January 2, 2018 3:59 AM

[quote]is the Thermos in amsterdam still open?

I think it went bankrupt in 2015

by Anonymousreply 5January 2, 2018 4:50 PM

shoot, that's a real shame

by Anonymousreply 6January 2, 2018 6:40 PM

Guys I hooked with in Amsterdam usually turned out to be Germans. They all insisted on fucking me. Gentle reader, I rolled over for schwanz.

by Anonymousreply 7January 2, 2018 8:55 PM

I hooked up with quite a few dutch guys

by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2018 1:05 AM

If by best I go by where I got laid the most, I'd have to go with Chariots in Vauxhall.

by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2018 3:44 PM

Just look at the map for the largest STD outbreaks in Europe and you'll have your answer Op.

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2018 4:19 PM

and cue the arrival of the sex shaming prisspot

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2018 4:41 PM

It was a joke R11, I thought sluts had great senses of humor.

by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2018 4:58 PM

Any Eastern Europeen cities have good saunas?

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2018 12:53 PM

Have the Europeans all gone bareback too?

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2018 2:52 PM

R12, they do, you just didn't tell a very funny joke, rose

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2018 3:59 PM

face slapping happens

by Anonymousreply 16February 4, 2018 6:37 PM

The baths (there’s no name, just an unmarked door) in Svenborgia are the best I’ve encountered.

by Anonymousreply 17February 4, 2018 6:54 PM

My only visit to the Bairo Alto baths in Lisbon was a weekend in paradise!

by Anonymousreply 18February 4, 2018 7:08 PM

I'm gonna go too

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2018 6:20 PM

There’s certainly none in Europe! Londons are dreadful and the new Chariots (directly opposite the MI5 building — so handy for the spooks) is appalling. I don’t know about those in Manchester, but the one in Glasgow was the the best of a bad lot. But the quality of the trade was really poor — particularly annoying as there are so many stunners on the streets in London.

Even more scandalous is the situation in scandanavia. Stockholm has not a single gay sauna. None. Zilch. Oslo’s is small and acceptable; Helsinkis the same. But why they are not splendid is bewildering.

Heartbreaking to hear the news about Thermos. The night and day saunas were amongst the world’s best.

by Anonymousreply 20January 3, 2019 1:03 PM

I meant to type: none on the UK.

by Anonymousreply 21January 3, 2019 1:05 PM

[quote]Any Eastern Europeen cities have good saunas?

There is Magnum Sauna in Budapest.

by Anonymousreply 22January 3, 2019 1:15 PM

Loved this place, but it was over 20 years ago since I was there, so I have no idea what it's like today. Great facility.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 3, 2019 1:20 PM

In Paris there is one with oriental decoration. When I was there it was full of hot guys, really great bodies and hot action in steam rooms. There are good ones in Madrid and Barcelona, too, might be the one R1 mentioned. R20 They were closed by officials in Stockholm maybe 20 years ago and scenes in Helsinki and Oslo are too small to have an active gay saunas.

by Anonymousreply 24January 3, 2019 1:23 PM

The Oslo sauna is located at one of the new African enclaves of the CBD, which doesn’t make for a totally reassuring experience for a first time tourist.

The Helsinki sauna seems very much a kind of one man operation. The fellow who runs it is sweet: I just wish I had a million bucks to give him so he could create something worthy of the Land of Saunas!

by Anonymousreply 25January 3, 2019 1:32 PM

I love the grottoes at Club Europa in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 26January 3, 2019 2:22 PM

Thermos was nice - if not always packed in recent years. A lot of the sex venues in Amsterdam are dying. The closing of Argos - the oldest and most real leather bar/sex den in Europe - was truly sad. I guess in part due to apps - but also just less interest by young gays. Anonymous public sex may be a thing of the past as gay becomes mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 27January 3, 2019 3:03 PM

Yes it already happened in America and it seems inevitable Europe will go the same way r27. That culture seems to be dying out with younger gays.

by Anonymousreply 28January 3, 2019 3:09 PM

The saunas in Barcelona and Madrid are fun. I had one hot guy after another.

by Anonymousreply 29January 3, 2019 3:10 PM

Has Europe all gone bareback?

by Anonymousreply 30January 3, 2019 3:14 PM

[QUOTE]The saunas in Barcelona and Madrid are fun. I had one hot guy after another.

Was this recently or 20 years ago?

I'm booking a flight depending on your answer

by Anonymousreply 31January 3, 2019 3:15 PM

[quote]Anonymous public sex may be a thing of the past as gay becomes mainstream.

it will NEVER become a thing of the past, just look at straight guys who need lap dances and things like that, but they won't be as central to gay life as they once were

by Anonymousreply 32January 4, 2019 2:43 PM

[quote]Thermos was nice

Thermos was absolute heaven! To have a home cooked meal at Thermos Day Sauna, prepared for you by a pretty dutch boy (years back when Amsterdam still had dutch boys), and afterwards go to Thermos Night Sauna with it’s completely different cosy mood and layout, was magical. I’m so glad I experienced them in their prime.

by Anonymousreply 33January 4, 2019 5:27 PM

Ditto R33. Thermos was the peak of gay sauna life in Europe in the 90s. A full gay experience with sex as an option. Such a sex positive, relaxed environment. Just before Amsterdam became minority Dutch. Dutch attitudes and culture were the key to the experience of Amsterdam. It’s changed - just like the rest of the world - and change is constant so we must accept. But I too am so glad I got to experience Thermos - and all of gay Amsterdam - in the 90s. It will always be my favorite time and place in life.

by Anonymousreply 34January 4, 2019 5:32 PM

I loved it, I lived in Amsterdam throughout the nineties and loved going "swimming" there as my friends used to call it

by Anonymousreply 35January 4, 2019 7:14 PM

To give you another example of how Amsterdam has changed for the worse, an older dutch friend who was absolutely breathtaking as a young man recalled to me that the most enjoyable cruising was done while skating on the canals. You liked someone, you gently circled. Given the canals almost never freeze over now, what a memory!!!

by Anonymousreply 36January 9, 2019 10:15 AM

There are so many and most are more popular than the states.

Yes bareback is common .

by Anonymousreply 37January 9, 2019 10:22 AM

Prague?

by Anonymousreply 38January 9, 2019 10:33 AM

Yes Thermos Day and Night are gone, but NZ is a very nice replacement, run by the same people who run the cruise club Church. Plenty of fucking still to be had in Amsterdam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 9, 2019 10:40 AM

Does Europe have a SteamWorks type of Sauna, found in the U.S. and Canada, or they're much different and/or even better?

For me, SteamWorks in Chicago in 2011 on a Saturday night at 3 am was buzzing but not Sunday night... as was Seattle busy in 2012 on a weekend. The Portland, Oregon two saunas were not packed on my 2012 visit but still decent.

by Anonymousreply 40January 9, 2019 10:41 AM

No steamworks.

by Anonymousreply 41January 9, 2019 12:02 PM

Went to Thermos day and night while in Amsterdam when they hosted the gay games in '98. An international slice of heaven on earth....

by Anonymousreply 42January 9, 2019 2:26 PM

I was there at that time

by Anonymousreply 43January 9, 2019 5:04 PM

Amsterdam in the 90s was such a relief coming from NYC - where there was a crackdown on all sex related activities and decadence in any form. Amsterdam let me live a slice of 70s sexual liberation in my 20s that I was very grateful for. It will always have a special place in my heart. Wonderful culture and freedom.

by Anonymousreply 44January 9, 2019 5:49 PM

I'm so glad I was there

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2019 1:51 PM

Sydney finely has a decent sauna worthy of it after years of substandard ones after the legendary KKK closed. KKK was favoured by Bruce Chatwin! When the BBC made a documentary on his life they filmed there. But because steam would have damaged the cameras they brought in a smoke machine!!!!

Melbourne has a couple of saunas but Wet is one of the world’s top 5 for facilities. Gorgeous 25 metre lap pool etc. Even Bangkok’s Babylon doesn’t have that, but its masseurs are fucking incredible. However, for me, as others have said, nothing beat Thermos Day and Thermos Night at their peak. Remember the heated bench!

by Anonymousreply 46March 14, 2019 2:08 PM

I wish I could travel there

by Anonymousreply 47March 14, 2019 2:45 PM

this is the top

by Anonymousreply 48November 2, 2019 3:18 AM

I'm fond of Kaiserbrundl in Vienna. The 19th century Orientalism and knowing your fucking in the same cubicles enjoyed by the Hapsburgs and their equerries.

by Anonymousreply 49November 2, 2019 3:32 AM

Are European gay guys on PrEP like Americans are? An Italian friend of mine told me about a year ago that PrEP wasn't legal there, so no one had it.

by Anonymousreply 50November 2, 2019 3:35 AM

Boyberry in Barca. Fun on video, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 51November 2, 2019 3:41 AM

Fun fact: the building housing Rome's Club Europa is owned by the Vatican. There are Bishop's apartments upstairs.

Convenient, eh?

by Anonymousreply 52November 2, 2019 3:47 AM

Pink Beach Lausanne

Sauna Heaven Warsaw

Der Boiler Berlin

However, over 50 I get laid faster and hotter in sex clubs, not saunas.

by Anonymousreply 53November 2, 2019 3:49 AM

I get laid every day

by Anonymousreply 54November 2, 2019 11:23 AM

On a cold day nothing beats a fancy sauna

by Anonymousreply 55February 15, 2020 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!