Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Thread to post all the positive news of 2017 that's worth celebrating. Personal or stuff in the news this year post it hear!

A thread to boost our optimism and morale! In a year full of crazy news that makes us disheartened or pessimistic about the future, here is a thread to post anything that's happened this year that you feel is worthy of celebration or cause to raise a smile and cheer. It can be personal or global news or anything in between.

To start off with I'm going to mention the election of Emmanuel Macron. It kept the far right out of the highest office in France and was a lucky escape from what would have been more ugly divisive inflammatory politics in the world.

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2018 9:54 PM

Come on folks cheer up New Year's eve is upon us!

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2017 2:03 PM

I love plants, and became fascinated with caring for them, thinking about how they help rejuvenate the world, etc. It feels good knowing they are inside my house, putting out the tiniest bits of fresh oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2017 2:05 PM

I've tried really hard the last few months to not make negative comments that are not helpful - even being snide on here doesn't serve a purpose.

I have found that I do feel a bit less grouchy when I've kept some of my negative comments to myself - around friends, coworkers, at events, etc. That doesn't mean I'm not going to call someone out when they're rude, but it also has meant I'm less intentionally bitchy for no reason. It seems to have helped.

by Anonymousreply 3December 31, 2017 2:07 PM

That's beautiful [R2] I find an appreciation of the natural world and the simplicity and beauty of how we are all interconnected very uplifting. I'm glad you've found that source of solace.

by Anonymousreply 4December 31, 2017 2:09 PM

Good for you [R3] I've seen a few forums in recent years descend into utter jungle like chaos and backstabbing. More vitriol than ever before, often but not exclusively related to politics. It's always good to remember not to take forums so seriously that they overtake and consume you. The value of taking a step back on a personal level and rembering there's more to live is very beneficial.

Having said that one thing I like and what drew me towards Datalounge in the past year is its anonymous no forum user name format actually reduces a lot of the potential for bitchy cliques and nasty bullying you find on other forums.

by Anonymousreply 5December 31, 2017 2:14 PM

This will end in tears...

by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2017 2:18 PM

Be optimistic [R6]!!!

by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2017 2:22 PM

After the election, I stopped watching news shows because I just.couldnt.take.it. I just read the news now and I feel less stressed. I'm also thankful we haven't been blown off the face of the earth. Happy new year!

by Anonymousreply 8December 31, 2017 2:22 PM

I agree [R8] that a hiatus from the news and constant inflammatory drama is beneficial for one's sanity and wellbeing.

by Anonymousreply 9December 31, 2017 4:22 PM

I found the MAKE AMERICA KITTENS AGAIN extension at the chrome web store.

I knew I couldn't face looking at Trumps face or hearing his voice. I decabled years ago and I follow my news on the internet so I could avoid his voice easily. This allowed me to avoid his ugly visage. All I see are pictures of kittens.

A true sanity saver this year. My blood pressure appreciates it.

by Anonymousreply 10December 31, 2017 4:28 PM

We beat back Roy Moore, and as a bonus, elected the first Democrat from Alabama in 25 years.

Ralph Northam was elected in Virginia, and the State House is still possibly going to a 50-50 tie, taking the chamber from the Republicans. The last time the Democrats had anything resembling a majority or power-sharing arrangement was 1999.

There have also been a slew of special elections that swung from Rs to Ds.

And, of course, there's indictments, guilty pleas, and an ongoing investigation that, with any luck, will put the brakes on Trump's agenda (at least) and possibly put the entire Trump crime family behind bars (wishful thinking, but you gotta have hope!).

by Anonymousreply 11December 31, 2017 4:47 PM

Yes Roy Moore being defeated at the ballot box was a great happy triumph of 2017 and was a sign decency hasn't totally left politics.

I also think thankfully the EU dodged a bullet when the hard right and racist party didn't make the gains predicted in the General election in the Netherlands.

by Anonymousreply 12December 31, 2017 5:11 PM

I saw this Instagram post first thing this morning and I just loved it; the humor, the gentleness, the sweetness of it... It truly made me feel good about people.

P.S.

Frederic Tuten writes about art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 31, 2017 5:22 PM

That IS cute R13.

by Anonymousreply 14December 31, 2017 5:31 PM

Cheers [R13]!!!

by Anonymousreply 15December 31, 2017 7:05 PM

The yes vote in the same sex marriage referendum in Australia!

by Anonymousreply 16December 31, 2017 8:06 PM

Come on folks get in the new year good mood hopeful spirit!

Here's another one to be thankful for if your in the US. None of the Liberal or more progressive judges on the supreme Court stepped down notably Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

by Anonymousreply 17December 31, 2017 8:18 PM

I think the UK general election returning a surprise hung parliament rather than a substantial right wing majority as expected was a real highlight of 2017.

by Anonymousreply 18December 31, 2017 9:11 PM

I am happy for the DLer and Percy the cat who adopted one another. That made me happy.

by Anonymousreply 19December 31, 2017 10:06 PM

Percy the cat?

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2017 10:23 PM

Anymore optimistic anecdotes and opinions folks?

by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2018 6:38 PM

I'm still a lonely and depressed boy.

:-(

I count the days until this nightmare is over.

by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2018 8:03 PM

Cheer up Barron think of special counsel Mueller as Father Christmas who will make your dreams come true! 😉 ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2018 9:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!