Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do Generation X and Millennials think about Baby Boomers?

The honest truth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383April 8, 2018 9:26 PM

Their music rocked. I would never tell my parents that, though.

by Anonymousreply 1December 29, 2017 11:54 PM

You had it good but your greed will destroy us all.

by Anonymousreply 2December 29, 2017 11:56 PM

We don't give a shit what they think.

by Anonymousreply 3December 29, 2017 11:58 PM

Then don’t expect to inherit a dime from us, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4December 30, 2017 12:00 AM

I hold no ill will to Boomers even though, apparently, quite a few of them hate my generation. They had some awesome music and some awesome times in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 5December 30, 2017 12:02 AM

I am also a millennial and think they fucking sucked.

Self absorbed parents who ignored us until it was time to complain about how much our generation sucks.

They can rot in hell.

by Anonymousreply 6December 30, 2017 12:07 AM

I'm Gen X. They are both entitled and I'm used to it.

I went through a period when it was really important to me that people recognize the line - specifically kept away from me sexually - but now I see more commonality as more time passes. I've grown positively fond of the dying super liberal hippy values breed because I think their idealism to the point of silliness softened the ultra competitive edge of Silicon Valley. Now that they and their mentality is almost gone, it is almost all pure cruelty. The millennials are socially conscious up the wazoo, but they seem to be compartmentalized. The ones with soul go into different specialities than SV.

by Anonymousreply 7December 30, 2017 12:09 AM

To add: the Boomers did turn into greedy pigs for a time, but then they seemed to have a reckoning as they got even older and go back the other way a bit.

by Anonymousreply 8December 30, 2017 12:11 AM

We millennials made history by electing the first black man and first Generation X presidential family (Obamas).

The boomers elected Trump.

I think that says it all. Thanks for ruining the future yet again.

by Anonymousreply 9December 30, 2017 12:12 AM

To be fair, there have been quite a fair amount of liberal and progressive Boomers.

It is a shame that so many have reverted to Trumptards in their later years.

by Anonymousreply 10December 30, 2017 12:16 AM

Gen X. I thought boomers were the worst. Millennials top them. Also, you’re welcome for irony and grunge.

by Anonymousreply 11December 30, 2017 12:21 AM

I doubt most educated boomers voted for trump. A lot of young voters voted for trump too. I am a boomer and I voted for Hillary. All of my friends who are boomers voted for Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2017 12:22 AM

I don't mind Generation X, but they are not without their faults, either.

We were around. We remember Jerry Springer. We remember all of their nihilistic narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2017 12:26 AM

Any generation of which DJT is a member plumbs the depths of assholery.

by Anonymousreply 14December 30, 2017 12:32 AM

I am most surprised that Generation X has been so accommodating to Boomers.

Millennials are not.

by Anonymousreply 15December 30, 2017 12:39 AM

[quote]Self absorbed parents who ignored us

Irony proof.

by Anonymousreply 16December 30, 2017 12:39 AM

Generation X views the Boomers as older siblings.

Millennials view Boomers as parents.

That is a big difference.

by Anonymousreply 17December 30, 2017 12:42 AM

There are good boomers, but some will provide real entertainment value as they realize that they won't tool around in their RVs forever, they're actually gonna die.

by Anonymousreply 18December 30, 2017 12:45 AM

The Beatles created this huge shadow in its wake and then The Boomers forgot the “Love” message...

by Anonymousreply 19December 30, 2017 12:53 AM

Is that Charlotte Rae in the photo of the oldies?

by Anonymousreply 20December 30, 2017 1:06 AM

Boomers have been old geezers for 50 years and responsible for all the shit music in the world until hip hop came along.

by Anonymousreply 21December 30, 2017 1:10 AM

Time will tell if the Millennials embrace Republicanism the way a lot of Boomers did in the 80's, and this last election. It's too early to talk about them as a group other than to read tiresome "Get off my lawn" screeds. Newsflash: every generation was spoiled and selfish in their late teens/early twenties.

I have my criticisms of the Millenials, but they're the most liberal concerning racism, gay rights and other issues. It's truly not a big deal to be out and proud even in junior high school now. That's something to be fucking proud of. It took us too long to get there, but we have.

by Anonymousreply 22December 30, 2017 1:15 AM

no, r17 Xers see Boomers as parental.

by Anonymousreply 23December 30, 2017 1:15 AM

I am an older millennial, and I view these fuckers as mainly conservative.

by Anonymousreply 24December 30, 2017 1:20 AM

I'm one of the older Gen X guys, and I've always felt that Boomers were the most self-absorbed generation.

by Anonymousreply 25December 30, 2017 1:28 AM

Had the absolute best of everything--were indulged, got to enjoy the birth of rock and roll, got to have loads of sex mostly consequence-free, could buy homes, could get amazing stable careers with just a high school education, got to enjoy the hedonism and experimentalism of the 70s, and then decided they wanted to keep it all for themselves and maintain their very comfortable status quo. As a Gen Xer, we got fucked so hard my ass still looks like a sinkhole; we had it, we almost had it, right around the world to Tiennemann Square we weren't putting up with shit and were about to change the world. We grew into adulthood without the internet and life was much, much better.

...and the Boomers took over the music industry, got rid of equal-opportunity rock and socially-conscious hip-hop, turned pop stars into brainless morons, turned hip-hop into faux rebellion for white suburban kids, and created 9/11. Millennials just want constant validation through social media, and it's bewildering to see none of them think, dress, act, or talk as individuals. My generation was left in the dust, choking and mostly beleaguered. You have to be part of it to understand what I'm saying

by Anonymousreply 26December 30, 2017 1:28 AM

They got it great, they set up some of the still greatest things, and then shat themselves and decided to act proud of it. And voted Donald Trump.

I'm Y/Millennial though, and I see my generation as likely following similar pattern, except with more social progression compared to Boomer economic progression. I'm actually deadly seriously worried my generation will regress massively over the next few decades and make Boomer regression look quaint. A common sentiment in my gen is how they (I'm not including myself here) really think they know it all. Not just in their early lives, but into their 30s. This isn't normal. Usually there's humbling enough experiences, that then coalesce into some traditional view in middle-age (for better or worse, its at least steadfast). Millennials? Still full of it. This could be very dangerous, even though its mostly fine at the moment. Boomer failures may have come from thinking they're the 'good ones' of the world and acting out based on it. Well Millennials have that view x10. Imagine if we get a culture that doesn't just go hardcore on Christianity, but science itself (in very dumb ways). How the fuck would this be stopped? Or the already current experiences of minorities, like say, gay men, getting 'splained' by straights about what they 'need' to do and be - we could fight the Boomers on this, but can we fight the Oh So Good millennials? If we had to?

by Anonymousreply 27December 30, 2017 2:23 AM

They were the last ones with guts, a holdover from WW2. It's been downhill since. I look at my peers and see these zomboids wired up and oblivious to the world around them. Minimal social skills. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 28December 30, 2017 10:13 AM

I pretty much think they ruined the country.

by Anonymousreply 29December 30, 2017 11:06 AM

R13: The boomers were responsible for Jerry Springer, too.

by Anonymousreply 30December 30, 2017 11:08 AM

"I hope you die. I hope you die soon."

by Anonymousreply 31December 30, 2017 11:10 AM

Hey R28! I've been looking all over for you.

by Anonymousreply 32December 30, 2017 11:14 AM

Boomers need to get out of the job market.

Millennials are a lot of things that have been said, but they are also unsexy and homely in comparison (not everyone) to other generations.

by Anonymousreply 33December 30, 2017 12:20 PM

It’s interesing to see fellow Gen X here expressing what I feel. We were the generation growing up watching Boomer parents succeed. I always thought my career and life would eclipse that of my parents. Now it’s just a sick joke. And I’m not American but I do live here now. This isn’t just an American feeling. Gen X got screwed big time.

by Anonymousreply 34December 30, 2017 1:37 PM

OP:

Enough.

by Anonymousreply 35December 30, 2017 1:44 PM

I am Gen X, same age as Obama. All the Boomers I know are now elderly hippes that wear Crocs and smoke weed. They're ok with me.

by Anonymousreply 36December 30, 2017 1:48 PM

R36 consider yourself lucky. Most Boomers are selfish cunts.

by Anonymousreply 37December 30, 2017 1:56 PM

Boomers had a great life. Too bad they consumed everthing in their wake. No thought about future generations. They are like locusts taking taking taking. Future generations will be left holding the bag filled with debt, collapsed medicare, crumbling infrastructure, and a contaminated overdeveloped environment.

by Anonymousreply 38December 30, 2017 2:01 PM

Baby boomers are assholes selfish self centered racist and angry at millennials even though they are a huge part of the mess America has found itself. Most of them can kiss my millennia ass. They sure do have a negative opinion about minorities especially Hispanics and blacks who are the ones who take care of them when they are in nursing home. I have no patience for bitter old geezers.

by Anonymousreply 39December 30, 2017 2:11 PM

Amusing 'threat' from the Boomer, saying if we aren't sucking up to them they'll leave us nothing. We've seen Boomers live their lives, it's always been apparent they'd leave nothing for anyone else. They've barely even left fish in the sea.

by Anonymousreply 40December 30, 2017 2:43 PM

Ultimately they betrayed us all.

by Anonymousreply 41December 30, 2017 3:07 PM

They gave us Trump

by Anonymousreply 42December 30, 2017 3:35 PM

Boomers grew up indulged?mWhat algernate unoverse do you live in? Or better, what alternate history books have you been reading? Boomers were raised by parents of the depression and WW2 - those are the very last people who would indulge their children.

Children growing up i. the 1950s were disciplined, made to work, and taught to be respectful - not craven, mind you, but respectful of others. They earned what they got from good grades, to sports awards to pin money with after school and summer jobs. They needed to be clever to do what they wanted without getting caught or in trouble, A valuabale skill. LOL! Moving into the 60s as they grew up the Boomer generation led a tsunami of social and culutral changes that were mostly positive. It was one of the first generations that opted in great numbers to work for others rather than just a paycheck. They turned materialistic values on its head. The boomer generation participated and led the way, often at personal and financial peril, for huge progress in human rights and peace.

The problem with the boomer generation is that too many of the best and brightest opted out of the mainstream, especially government and politics, leaving it to the more conservative people. By the time the boomers realized this it was a bit late to enter the maelstrom and wrest control back from this minority. I think the Reagan election was the wake up call. Reagan's people were not primarily boomers.

I don't know any boomers who are Trumpers or right wingers. Those are a distinct minority and probably the less educated and most likely from certain very red geographic areas. And this idea that the majority boomers are racist is utter nonsense.

And even to this day employers would rather hire a boomer any day.

by Anonymousreply 43December 30, 2017 3:47 PM

They can start fucking dying anytime.

by Anonymousreply 44December 30, 2017 4:46 PM

Baby boomers need to get the fuck out of the job market

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 30, 2017 5:12 PM

Since we're speaking in really broad terms here, I can understand why some Gen X and, especially millennials, hate the boomers. For us in the UK the boomers were the ones who got free university education then introduced student fees for everyone else, they bought their houses for next to nothing and now insist on rattling around in their 5 bedroom homes while there is a housing crises, they've used their spare cash to buy up even more housing and, by becoming landlords, leave the millennials to pay rent / top up their pensions, they keep pushing up the age at which Gen Xers can their pension - even though boomers can still access theirs at 65 - and have somehow managed to make it almost impossible to fire them on the basis of age. And then there is Brexit which they overwhelmingly voted for; not forgetting that one of the first things agreed with the EU was that all the boomers who retired to Spain won't lose their pensions when we leave. This is the same cohort who also overwhelmingly think that even if a loved one lost their job and the economy crashed, Brexit would still be worth it. I'm sure they're not all selfish cunts but you can understand why others might think so.

by Anonymousreply 46December 30, 2017 5:16 PM

I think it's fascinating to hear my grandmother slate my parent's generation and yet praise my generation (Generation X) and the Millennial generations. She was born in 1920 and she remembers *everything* about the War (kind of hard not to, especially when you see your home getting Blitzed from the bomb shelter in the garden!) and she often points out that, bizarrely, Gen X and the Millennials have more in common with those born in the Interwar period (those born between 1918 and 1939) than any other generation. All three generations face economic uncertainty, all three generations face having to deal with the greed of an older generation and all three worry about how their futures will unfold. I'm not joking about the last bit and her generation: my Grandmother was nineteen when WW2 exploded (and despite what popular media would have you believe, *everyone* in Europe knew that war was coming as soon as Hitler ascended) and she was 25 when it ended. She often tells us stories of how young people like her reacted to the War - the boys heading off to battle, the girls left behind who suddenly were expected to take on *their* roles and the near-unlimited freedom that entailed (and the shock of having those freedoms taken away when the boys came home. Post-War Britain was grimmer than what you see on telly and on films) This was a generation that grew up with the constant threat of annihilation - WW2, the Cold War - and they reacted against it as best as they could.

Us lot do the same, to be honest.

She's often pointed out that our perceptions of scandalous behaviour is affected by those who report it. The Profumo Affair, one of her favourite examples, is seen as scandalous by the Post-War generation (the Boomers), but to *her* lot, it was simply a hangover from the War years. Scandal happened every day as far as she's concerned (her tale of the married vicar who was caught fucking a married male teacher whilst a pupil sucked off the teacher is deliciously melodramatic. Even has a shrieking-fainting wife!) but when it's blown up by some prude who just happens to edit a newspaper, it becomes more salacious.

Anyhow - her opinion of her children's generation is that they grew fat on the sacrifices that she and her cohort made. They gave their lives in their millions so that their children could have a safe and secure life. It's something to note that there are very few interwar people left, by the way. Maybe my grandmother was raised incredibly liberally (my great-grandmother was ferocious and well-remembered for kicking a teacher in the vagina for daring to slap one of her daughters) but my perception of the interwar generation is one of, well, near-hedonism compared to the Boomer generation.

by Anonymousreply 47December 30, 2017 5:25 PM

R8 uh no, they did not redeem themselves at all, they elected Trump instead.

by Anonymousreply 48December 30, 2017 5:52 PM

So many different flavors of Boomer OP

There are the Boomers who got married at 18 back in 1967 and are now great-grandparents. They lived very traditional lives, were

There are the Boomers who were in antiwar protests in 1967, wandered through the 70s aimlessly and hedonistically and then went into Daddy's business and became yuppies in the 80s. They're just becoming grandparents now.

And everything in between.

The media seems to take the view that most Boomers went the protestor-yuppie route, but that seems to just be because that's the route most journalists friends took.

Like everyone, some Boomers are dicks, some are great people. They had great music though.

by Anonymousreply 49December 30, 2017 6:00 PM

They’re the worst generation by far. Sellouts and hypocrites who went from peace loving hippies to Reagan revolutionaries in the blink of an eye. They practically raped this planet with their crimes of excess and self-enrichment.

by Anonymousreply 50December 30, 2017 6:05 PM

Their most lasting legacy will be Trump, brought to us by both camps that R49 rhapsodizes.

by Anonymousreply 51December 30, 2017 6:07 PM

To quote my grandmother: every generation hates their parents. The post-war generation are the first that are hated by both their parents and their grandchildren. And to quote my mother: the best thing we can do now is die quietly and hope your lot (that'd be Generation X) can forgive us.

by Anonymousreply 52December 30, 2017 6:10 PM

A lot of what defines the Boomers and Gen X is just raw numbers. The Boomers signified a population explosion, Gen X a population contraction. This explains a lot of the Boomers' cultural dominance. It can be annoying at times, but it is the way it is. Personally, I've never minded being part of an underdog cohort, but I've become increasingly resentful watching a lot of the protections and institutions of the liberal state get slowly eroded from the 80s on. I imagine (or hope) a lot of Boomers feel the same.

I appreciate the music - I grew up learning about lots of good stuff from the record collections of my parents/uncles/etc.

As for conservatives, I'm unfortunately not so sure that Gen X and Millennials won't turn out to have their fair share. A lot of the alt-right backlash types are Millennials or younger Gen Xers. I never thought I'd see that shit in my lifetime, but society seems to be devolving in every other respect, so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised.

by Anonymousreply 53December 30, 2017 6:31 PM

R47, this explains why I am Generation X but have several friends 90+ years-old.

by Anonymousreply 54December 30, 2017 6:42 PM

R54 - the stories my grandmother tells me about the time during the War and the immediate aftermath are *fascinating*. Good thing is that she, well, has no filter, so there's no editing or censorship. I think it was the combination of a lot of them feeling that they were going to die the next day drove some of them to really live as much as they could, combined with the fact that, at times, she could really see and feel the War with her own eyes.

Tell you all a wee story. In January 1941 my grandmother came north to Glasgow (a city in Scotland, during the War one of our major manufacturing centres for the war effort. The shipyards were legendary, and a prime Luftwaffe target) where she took up a position at a farm just outside of a town called Clydebank (it's actually more a suburb/satellite of Glasgow). My great-grandmother and my grandmother's younger sister came too and were originally going to stay in Clydebank, but the farmer and his wife told them that they had plenty of room, so they could stay until they settled in. On the nights of the 13th and 14th of March 1941, the Luftwaffe blitzed Clydebank. The farm overlooked Clydebank and, on both nights, the occupants of the farm could watch and see the blitz happening. In 1941, Clydebank was a relatively small town just outside of Glasgow but it suffered the one thing that all industrial centres in Britain suffered at the time: overcrowding. Add into that the fact that the industrial sites and housing were often cheek-by-jowl and the aftermath was brutal. Over 35,000 people lost their homes (this is something I had to confirm with Wikipedia, as I thought originally it was only 20,000) - but only something like 528 died as a result of the bombing.

As a result of this act, my grandmother and her sister went into Clydebank to assist with evacuations and, heh, took a shine to a young soldier who had been home on leave visiting his family. And yeah, she ended up fucking his brains out. No, she didn't marry him (he buggered off and allegedly got himself killed in Belgium, the inconsiderate bastard) but she always says that he had an "uncommonly" large penis. After Clydebank, my grandmother went to work in Glasgow itself (my great-grandmother and her sister remained on that farm until the 1950s, when my great-grandmother passed away. My family are still close to the farmer's family, you know, even though the farm was swallowed up into one of the new housing estates that popped up post-War) and it was there that she a) met the man who would become my grandfather and b) became friends with a few local gay lads who allegedly were referred to as the Bikes. I'll give you one chance to figure out where *that* nickname came from.

(cont)

by Anonymousreply 55December 30, 2017 7:59 PM

(Cont)

Post-War, my grandmother always said was a crippling time for women's rights. Think about it - during the War everyone was expected to pitch in and do their bit. Men went off to fight, the women went into the factories. Women did *everything* that the men had done. They became riveters, welders, machinists, police officers, bus and tram drivers. And the sense of liberty that a lot of these women felt during the War was so cruelly taken away from them after the War because of a misplaced idea that the returning men wanted domesticity and bliss. Couple that in with a resurgence of an idea that "femininity" would return in fashion (gee, thanks Dior) and women were told "get in the kitchen, make food, please your man and have babies". Thankfully my grandfather never subscribed to that notion - but we know that his brother did. His marriage was a miserable one for his wife. She was married to him from 1952 until his death in 2001 and my *god* she hated that man. During the War she had actually operated an anti-aircraft gun near Dover and after the War, whoosh, all of that was taken away. So yeah, a lot of women after the War came to resent their men (not surprising, given how little they got in the way of thanks for keeping the home fires *and* guns working). It's one of the reasons why my grandmother resents and despises the Boomers - they didn't have to worry, they didn't have that fear. They didn't understand. None of them did. Oh, they eulogise and mythologise the Interwar generation, but they have zero concept of how hard it was for them - but the Interwar generation? They can understand Generation X's disappointment and Millennial resentment. Definitely. The Boomer generation is one of kleptoparasitism. They take, but they very rarely leave anything for the younger generation and they fucking wonder why *we* despise them? They never had it so good, and they want to make sure that no one else will.

by Anonymousreply 56December 30, 2017 8:00 PM

Times are cyclical r55, your grandmother sounds very wise.

by Anonymousreply 57December 31, 2017 2:40 PM

Depends if they're hoarders or not.

by Anonymousreply 58December 31, 2017 2:46 PM

Exactly what R26 said.

by Anonymousreply 59December 31, 2017 2:52 PM

I am very proud to be a Gen Xer, too, and we had so much going for us we could have done great, and I mean great for everyone and the planet we live in. But the Boomers, most self-absorbed, selfish, materialistic generation in a long time, couldn't let go. Fucked every chance we had so bad now all we have left is mentoring Millenials (I'm surprised at how many will listen) and hope this younger generation will finish the job we should have done.

by Anonymousreply 60December 31, 2017 2:55 PM

As an older Gen-Xer, it’s amazing how I’ve seen Boomers and even some folks my age being so liberal when they were younger (smoking weed, having sex, politically progressive). And now the majority of them have turned into a bunch of conservative twats. Fucking hypocrites.

I have hope for the younger generation. Especially when it comes time to vote. Hopefully they can help steer this country from the brink of disaster.

by Anonymousreply 61December 31, 2017 2:59 PM

Boomers are selfish cunts. They had it so good but will never admit it. They made excellent money doing ordinary jobs that now pay minimum wage. I know tons of them sitting with multiple homes, retiring at 55, endless vacations. These people were teachers and factory workers for fuck sakes! I’ll be lucky if I ever retire. I wasn’t expecting to be wealthy, just upper middle class. Why did I study so hard “for my future” to now find myself surrounded by whiny millennials and self absorbed Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 62December 31, 2017 3:07 PM

As in any generation, there were opposing views. I belonged to the liberal/socialist end. Peace, Love, and pot etc. Some of us stayed true to our philosophy. Others turned to the dark side. When I was in college, the liberals were hippies, artists and social activists. We were the anti-war movement and believed in the power of love and kindness. Sadly lacking nowadays. The conservatives were the entitled assholes who joined the jock fraternities. They turned into Trump and the like. You simply cannot lump us all together. At least we were able to sack a crooked president!

by Anonymousreply 63December 31, 2017 3:12 PM

R63 I get what you’re saying. I should probably have referred to the WHITE HETEROSEXUAL boomers. Gay people did not have an easy ride.

by Anonymousreply 64December 31, 2017 3:54 PM

Oh and Hillary Clinton/Bernie Sanders are also prime examples of Boomers. Selfish, entitled and blinded by their obvious flaws. What could possibly go wrong? The same could be said for 99% of our career politicians who are screwing us over big time. They know millennials are too stupid to fight back so they can continue to pillage unapposed.

by Anonymousreply 65December 31, 2017 4:00 PM

Baby Boomers are the worst generation. Entitled, spoiled, selfish. Everything that is wrong with America can be placed at the doorsteps of all baby boomers. If the Baby Boomers were on a Real Housewives show, their tagline would be, "We got ours, fuck the rest of y'all." And they're also hypocrites. All they did in the 60s was talk about free love and hippies and making the world a better place and now look at them, racist, Xenophobic, misogynistic, homophobic. In short -- the worst.

Millennials are spoiled and entitled, but at least they seem to care about others and important issues.

GenXers had the misfortune of being sandwiched between these two.

by Anonymousreply 66December 31, 2017 4:06 PM

Gen Xer, here. Can't stand boomers. See above for post from "monied boomer". They're selfish, know it all, narrow-minded assholes. It's rare to find a good one.

Millenials are a shade on the dumb side, but overall more open minded and kinder. Don't mind them one thousandth as much as I mind boomers.

by Anonymousreply 67December 31, 2017 4:49 PM

Baby Boomers are not entitled on the whole. We grew up with virtually none of the hyper-paranoid protections that exist today. We walked to school without fear of abduction, but we were on our own. Our parents worked middle-class jobs and did not have time to hover over little Billy. We did not get ribbons or trophies unless we actually won them. We had jobs such as paper routes to help with the family finances. We shoveled snow for neighbors to raise movie money. Many of our fathers were alcoholic and abusers. "Spare the rod and spoil the child" was a thing. So don't lump us all together.

by Anonymousreply 68December 31, 2017 4:51 PM

A little disappointed. In the 60s, they popularized anti-war protests and made peace ideology a fashion statement. In the 70s, after a few years of appreciating important Norman Lear sitcoms, they became brainwashed by Reagan and then watched glamorous prime-time soaps and sitcoms about impossibly rich, perfect families. Where were those former flower children between 2002 and 2008 when Bush was sending poor citizens' kids away to fight in Iraq? I went to a march in DC and was shocked by the lack of attendees over age 55. Maybe the administration would have taken the message more seriously if it came from people their own age instead of people they received to be young, angry, or spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 69December 31, 2017 5:51 PM

And they have the audacity to call younger people “snow flakes” for worrying about their futures.

by Anonymousreply 70December 31, 2017 5:54 PM

Well, Half of Gen Xers were birthed by Boomers and all of Millenials come from Boomers too...

So what do you think they are going to say OP?

by Anonymousreply 71December 31, 2017 5:55 PM

Baby Boomers are sexy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 72December 31, 2017 5:57 PM

Baby boomers didn't like their parents either. Remember, in those days when we were young we didn't trust anyone over 30.

by Anonymousreply 73December 31, 2017 6:00 PM

Barely Millenial - The boomers seemed more financially prosperous and their path to success appeared to be more easily mapped out. On the flip side, has anyone noticed this trend with their boomer parents called "senior divorces" (divorcing in their 60's)? To be honest, I never liked my parents all that well. However, I was definitely thrown for a loop when my dad had an affair at 63 and I got to best man at his wedding to a 49 y/o.

by Anonymousreply 74December 31, 2017 6:41 PM

Born in 1964. Right on the cusp of Boomers and Gen X. Don't relate to either generation.

by Anonymousreply 75December 31, 2017 7:11 PM

Fuck those of you who say we had it easy. I was kicked out of school, initially, for being gay. I propositioned a monk ( Catholic school ). Nothing happened but I was kicked out for the propositioning alone. Then I was allowed back, because I was a good student, but had all my remaining lessons off the premises and, when it came to sit my exams, was not allowed to speak to any of my friends, was made to eat alone bar a ‘ chaperone’ and was removed from the school as soon as I finished my final exam.

5 years later I watched many of my good friends die appallingly of a disease for which research could not be funded because it didn’t affect heterosexuals. I went to more funerals in my twenties than you are likely to do in your whole life.

I had to physically fight because I was openly gay and wouldn’t back down many times.

My partner was given a dishonourable discharge from the army, after being put in a military prison, simply for getting into bed with another man when he was drunk. When he was in prison they would pour water under the door so the floor froze. He was not allowed to wear shoes.

There are other stories and I could go on but idiots saying we had it easy and, particularly, those wishing we would die make me so angry I can barely type.

Fuck you and your shrivelled, self absorbed souls.

by Anonymousreply 76December 31, 2017 7:32 PM

R76 this thread is aimed at heterosexual boomers. We all know how fucked up it has been for gays, lesbians and other minorities.

by Anonymousreply 77December 31, 2017 7:37 PM

R76, most of what you are re-telling Boomers did to other Boomers. The remaining Boomers we do not like. There are of course exceptions. Boomers for one sure are taking it slow leaving the workforce.

by Anonymousreply 78December 31, 2017 7:37 PM

It's tricky for me (as a younger Gen X-er); I admired a lot of the Baby Boomers growing up, but I also see the way that their self-satisfaction and bravado has fulminated a lot of the class tension and economic inequality we are trying to clean up. I also don't think the millennials are nearly as bad as they get shit for; they may, largely, be self-absorbed, but they are also far more sophisticated and progressive than my peers were at their age (let alone my parents).

I might want to "go back" to 1983 on a time loop (if i could be Elio with his perfect existence), but for those of us who had the specter of being ridiculed or institutionalized if we came out in high school, today seems a lot better (if still wildly imperfect).

I wish the Boomers would take more responsibility for the current problems, and try to work to fix them, rather than counting the days to their pension (what's a pension, millennials/other Gen X-ers?).

by Anonymousreply 79December 31, 2017 7:38 PM

[quote]I propositioned a monk

So you were a whore?

by Anonymousreply 80December 31, 2017 7:39 PM

cunts!

by Anonymousreply 81December 31, 2017 7:40 PM

Why would you proposition a monk? And at such a young age. I’d kick you out of my school too. Hussy.

by Anonymousreply 82December 31, 2017 7:47 PM

Did you pray and suck cock like an angel or a demon, R76?

by Anonymousreply 83December 31, 2017 7:57 PM

R80 - R76 here. that’s pretty well what they told me. You’d have been in good company.

R78 - not true. It was the previous generation doing it to us. As for leaving the workforce, seems to me if they did you’d only complain it was unfair they were able to take early retirement. Every generation has some cross to bear. You have advantages we never had and you have challenges we didn’t face. Just as we did in comparison to our parents. We complained about them as kids. Then we had to deal with them.

As for the rest...I was 18 when I propositioned the monk. Age of consent was 21 at the time. But cheers to those taking the piss, you made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 84December 31, 2017 8:00 PM

Baby Boomers got a lot of good book learning. Boy they're smart!

by Anonymousreply 85December 31, 2017 8:16 PM

They were the most self-involved parents ever. Interesting that people tease millennials as having "helicopter parents" when, in fact, my generation of teenage peers all had parents who could give fuck-all about whatever they were up to. They were too busy living and defining the term "mid-life crisis."

by Anonymousreply 86January 5, 2018 10:58 AM

It's gen x that are helicopter parents.

by Anonymousreply 87January 5, 2018 11:05 AM

I don’t have a problem with Boomers in general but don’t shit on my generation because you’re bitter you weren’t an exception to the aging process.

by Anonymousreply 88January 5, 2018 11:07 AM

Boomers mistakenly think that they are personally responsible for their own success and think no one has worked like they have.

This is a dangerous lie that has guilted Gen X and millennials into thinking they are inferior.

Truthful intelligent boomers will tell you it's bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 89January 5, 2018 11:28 AM

I'm Gen X and I do not for a second believe I am inferior to Boomers in any way. They had opportunities that were gone by the time we arrived on the workforce. The bullshitters among them (and there are many) will pretend that is not the case, but it simply is. And because being materially successful is only fun if you can compare to others, they like to make others feel like shit. Still, it doesn't work and now they're scared we won't be taking care of them in their old age.

by Anonymousreply 90January 5, 2018 11:36 AM

I find it bizarre how so many Boomers seem to hate and bash on my generation (millennial). It is almost as if they don't care or realize who it is who will be taking care of them in old age.

Hint: it is not Gen X, or Gen Z.

by Anonymousreply 91January 5, 2018 12:04 PM

The fundamental difference between Boomers and every following generation (X, Millenial, Z) is that Boomers are very racist.

by Anonymousreply 92January 5, 2018 12:33 PM

R77 Because every straight persons life was easy, right? Despite income level, race and gender, right? Only gays went through hardship, right?

by Anonymousreply 93January 5, 2018 12:47 PM

I have my (many) legitimate gripes about Boomers, but them being uniformly racist isn't one of them, R92. A lot of them were amongst the first to march for and try to attempt civil rights.

As another older millennial, I can attest that they at least tried to raise us on a post-faux-hippie platform of equality and color-blindness ([italic] Reading Rainbow [/italic], anyone?). They were not always genuine, but at least they were trying to be well-meaning.

by Anonymousreply 94January 5, 2018 12:54 PM

They were trying, and they were well-meaning, R94, but it was mostly cosmetic and deep down they never wanted any other group ruling over THEM.

by Anonymousreply 95January 5, 2018 1:02 PM

Take a look at this thread and you’ll see the problem. Who isn’t being discussed? Fucking Gen X! Always more interesting. Always ignored.

by Anonymousreply 96January 5, 2018 1:09 PM

In their older age, I tend to agree with you that they have reverted to being cantankerous, more conservative, and more bitter and discriminatory, R95.

But, at the same time, they were the first generation to try and make "interracial dating" not be a thing. Theirs was the first wave of biracial children becoming common.

by Anonymousreply 97January 5, 2018 1:11 PM

[quote] Take a look at this thread and you’ll see the problem. Who isn’t being discussed? Fucking Gen X! Always more interesting. Always ignored.

Ummm, re-read this whole entire thread, R97. The majority of it is Generation X bitching about Boomers. Yes, you. Always bitter. Always angry. Always with afflicted with Jan Brady Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 98January 5, 2018 1:16 PM

They are mean.

by Anonymousreply 99January 5, 2018 1:25 PM

R98more accurately, Veronica from Heathers syndrome (yes, that was a Gen X classic).

by Anonymousreply 100January 5, 2018 1:35 PM

Assholes.

They were able to earn a great living on blue-collar jobs and affordable education. Now they lecture us about how everything from their generation was superior, and everything we do is deficient and how we are stupid and lazy.

We will see who gets their last laugh. Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 101January 5, 2018 1:40 PM

Incredibly selfish!

by Anonymousreply 102January 5, 2018 1:59 PM

R100, Marsha-Jan-Cindy Brady is still the perfect example of the current Boomer-Gen X-Millennial clusterfuck going on.

by Anonymousreply 103January 5, 2018 2:04 PM

Never watched The Brady Bunch in my life and have zero interest in doing so.

by Anonymousreply 104January 5, 2018 2:12 PM

As if Generation X and Millennials love each other so much!

by Anonymousreply 105January 5, 2018 2:27 PM

R105 The only people worse than boomers are millennials. The worst.

by Anonymousreply 106January 5, 2018 2:29 PM

Oh, we have our very legitimate complaints about you, too.

You are far from perfect.

We saw your bullshit, too. We were there, Gen X.

We are watching the nasty little children you are raising.

by Anonymousreply 107January 5, 2018 2:33 PM

Keep fighting. It's what they love. No respect for the elderly, loss of the social contract, generalizations that harm. Good job, GOP! Keep them at each other's throats.

by Anonymousreply 108January 5, 2018 2:44 PM

I laugh every time I hear Gen X complaining about millennials. Give me a fucking break, bitches! You are the generation of so-called "slackers." Just because you have decided to suddenly reinvent yourself as this great, big, WWII-era of hard-workers doesn't make it so.

You might succeed in convincing your children of that. For those of us [millennials] who were around to witness your shenanigans, we know that is a big, fat joke!

by Anonymousreply 109January 5, 2018 2:52 PM

Who cares? I have equity. Let them eat avocado toast.

by Anonymousreply 110January 5, 2018 2:54 PM

You are also a few steps closer to death, R110.

Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 111January 5, 2018 2:56 PM

They made housing unaffordable. They made it so people of regular means can't afford to live in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 112January 5, 2018 2:59 PM

I'm a boomer and I see the majority of them as selfish assholes who abandoned their ideals for a paycheck. They can all hang. R112 is correct, they've made life in cities unaffordable for the people who give cities their life's blood. I hope they all rot in the hell they've created and drown in the rising tides. Gen X'rs are not much different. The Millennials have a chance to make a difference and get this shit back on track. They need to stop feeling like it's 'the end' and 'why bother?' and understand their real power. They outnumber us and can make a real difference if they'd only realize it.

by Anonymousreply 113January 5, 2018 3:03 PM

What I have learned from this thread is that Gen Xers are a bunch of whining, complaining bitches who hate us. I never in my life thought I would say this, but I hope Millennials kick their asses.

by Anonymousreply 114January 5, 2018 3:06 PM

[quote]It's truly not a big deal to be out and proud even in junior high school now.

I don't know what middle school you've been to lately, but I work on several LAUSD campuses and it is still a risk for boys to be out and proud. Girls seem to be getting away with holding hands and kissing each other, but I have yet to see boys openly doing do.

by Anonymousreply 115January 5, 2018 3:10 PM

[quote]Any generation of which DJT is a member plumbs the depths of assholery.

Yeah dude I totally get behind tagging a whole generation with one member of it! Rad!

by Anonymousreply 116January 5, 2018 3:15 PM

That they dropped the ball in a big way.

by Anonymousreply 117January 5, 2018 3:29 PM

We hate the lot of you, Boomers included.

by Anonymousreply 118January 8, 2018 11:52 PM

r9 and r36, Barack Obama is a Boomer, not a Gen X-er. The Boomer generation lasted from 1946 to 1964, so 1961 was a Boomer year. I'm of that late Boomer cohort, as are all my brothers and sisters and cousins born 1959 to 1964. None of us ever were or became conservative or materialistic. The Boomers in my family have devoted our lives to public service: firefighter, teachers (3), librarian, nurses (2), special education, EMT, genetic researcher, radiology technician.

We've worked hard all our lives, and retirement still seems ages away. None of us will reach full SS retirement age until we're 67, except the one born in 1959, who gets to retire when he's 66 and 10 months. None of us would ever think of voting for Trump or Reagan or any other Republican.

We're tired and would love to leave the job market to the younger generations, but we have bills to pay and children to support, so that's out of the question without SS. One thing to keep in mind is that, if anything disastrous happens to SS by the time we finally down tools, it's the younger generations who will be struggling to help their unexpectedly impoverished parents and grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 119January 9, 2018 1:03 AM

We won't be paying for shit r119 because the Boomers have and will continue to suck every last dime and resource.

by Anonymousreply 120January 9, 2018 1:14 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 121January 16, 2018 10:31 PM

Which generation came out in their droves to vote for Trump? Which generation have stacked everything in favor of the 1%?

by Anonymousreply 122January 16, 2018 11:15 PM

[quote] It's Gen X that are helicopter parents.

‘Xennials’ (born 1975-85) certainly are.

My Xenni cousins are smothering their Gen Z/‘iGen’ babies to death, when they aren’t pimping them out on IG for likes. These kids are digitally monitored 24/7, and physically guarded whether it’s at daycare or just in the backyard (on rare occasion they venture out there). They are dressed designer, tech-owning and in extra classes at 5 years old. It’s like an episode of Black Mirror.

My Boomer parents did shelter me too much from certain fun formative experiences like sex & drugs & atheism before College, but they didn’t give a fuck how I dressed or who I hung with or what my grades were. My mother is a neurotic damaged Frau so she did smother me somewhat as a child but my blue-collar father especially did not coddle me, telling me to suck it up & handle it myself when I got in trouble at work or when I had a terrible mental breakdown. I had to bust my chops at school and at work as a young teen and survived bullying, etc. with zero parental intervention (they didn’t know a thing about what I was going through).

I feel lucky though that I escaped the close surveillance these Gen Z kids are ensuring. I feel my Gen are stronger than the Gen coming up behind, in spite of the cracks & damage we’ve sustained so early in life.

There are definite subdivisions to acknowledge & look at more closely in the Generations, too. For example, my youngest sister was born in the first year of Gen Z (95) and my baby cousins in the last year (2012); they couldn’t be more different.

by Anonymousreply 123January 17, 2018 2:49 PM

I don't think you start seeing helicopter parenting until the late 90s/early 00s to be honest. I sure as hell didn't see it with my peers when I was in school. We were pretty much left to our own devices, for better or for worse. The parent-child dynamic you see in the film "American Beauty" was only a slightly exaggerated satire of what having dysfunctional, self-involved Boomer parents was like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 18, 2018 4:48 AM

This was mentioned on another thread, but I do believe that Columbine and the rash of school shootings that followed had a major, understated impact on the advent of aggressive helicopter parenting. After that, nobody wanted to be [italic] that [/italic] parent who didn't know that their son was making bombs in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 125January 18, 2018 5:04 AM

I think of the jitterbug cell phone commercials when I think about baby boomers.

by Anonymousreply 126January 18, 2018 5:26 AM

R126, I googled that commercial, and thought it was an SNL parody, until I saw this it was a real product!

by Anonymousreply 127January 18, 2018 6:47 AM

Please Don't Go Girl!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 18, 2018 7:15 AM

Disgraceful, self absorped, shelfish. The sooner there gone the better. Ihave no yuse for them.

by Anonymousreply 129January 18, 2018 8:12 AM

What a weirdo you are, R129. On this same thread, you previously said about them:

[quote] They were the last ones with guts, a holdover from WW2. It's been downhill since. I look at my peers and see these zomboids wired up and oblivious to the world around them. Minimal social skills. Sad.

Do you have multiple personalities or are you just borderline?

by Anonymousreply 130January 18, 2018 8:15 AM

My sister/my daughter, my sister/my daughter, my sister AND my daughter.

by Anonymousreply 131January 18, 2018 9:27 AM

Their reign of terror is finally almost coming to an end. Thank God!

by Anonymousreply 132January 20, 2018 9:12 AM

R126 Oh please.

Those fucking phones for dummies were invented for MY parents' generation, not for Boomers.

You do realize that both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are Boomers, right? Who do you think came up with all the original technology which resulted in what we use today?

by Anonymousreply 133January 20, 2018 9:37 AM

They're scum.

by Anonymousreply 134January 20, 2018 9:43 AM

Ciao! Bon Voyage! Adios! Sayonara!

by Anonymousreply 135January 20, 2018 7:27 PM

Bitter, mean, obnoxious, self-centered know-it-alls who always have to add their two cents, even when nobody cares or asks their opinion!

by Anonymousreply 136January 21, 2018 11:03 PM

Time to put them out to pasture!

by Anonymousreply 137January 21, 2018 11:10 PM

Time for the slaughter house.

by Anonymousreply 138January 21, 2018 11:16 PM

I’m ready for all of them to shuffle off this mortal coil so I can hopefully enjoy a few years of a reasonable society.

by Anonymousreply 139January 21, 2018 11:19 PM

Baby boomers: generally more responsible and hard-working.

My parents are late Boomers. I'm a selfish, lazy bum compared to them.

by Anonymousreply 140January 21, 2018 11:27 PM

The most obnoxious, selfish generation ever. All that they ever cared about was themselves. Me, me, me. Take, take, take. Even now you can see them online whining only about Social Security, because that affects them. They don't care about anything or anyone else after them!

by Anonymousreply 141January 21, 2018 11:30 PM

^Oops, should've signed off as an early Millennial (the first wave).

by Anonymousreply 142January 21, 2018 11:30 PM

Do we think that they might be a good protein source? Could the cholesterol be removed from the meat, before it's packaged? If the flesh is marinated for a couple of days in a solution of soy sauce and lye, it would be sufficiently tenderized for hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 143January 21, 2018 11:35 PM

Please don’t encourage people to flash the thumbs-up signal. 👍🏽 It reminds me of The Fonz from Happy Days, and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 144January 21, 2018 11:42 PM

R143, Boomers would taste tough, chewy, stringy and acidic. Sorta like them. Not a good protein source!

by Anonymousreply 145January 21, 2018 11:51 PM

R141 I guess you missed the part about us protesting the Vietnam war and marching and protesting for civil rights in the 60s and 70a. Also, who do you think got the ball rolling as to the environmental concerns? Only then we called it ecology. Al Gore is a Boomer and he turned it into a major thing. Who do you think were the activists at Stonewall? Who was in ActUp and who created the GMHC? Do you think those orgs were built by the Greatest Generation?

Here's what you don't understand because you are young and stupid. Yes, most Boomers are concerned about Social Security because it effects many and for some it is their only lifeline. We put it in a hell of a lot of time and effort when we were younger, and we have the right to put out interests first when we are on the back 5 of life.

Trust me junior, when you are 60(and I'll be dead) you will know I am right, and you might even feel bad about bashing us seniors.

by Anonymousreply 146January 22, 2018 12:06 AM

Born in mid-70's to Boomers with 4 siblings who are Millenials.

My main complaint with Boomers is the Trump crap and now acting like they didn't smoke plenty of dope and short coke back in the day (including my parents and all their friends).

by Anonymousreply 147January 22, 2018 12:17 AM

Boomers are like a swarm of locusts.

by Anonymousreply 148January 22, 2018 12:18 AM

And millennials are like a bunch of earthworms.

R147 Indeed we did snort a lot of coke, did a lot of ecstasy and dropped shitloads off acid. And yet we still manage to spell millennial correctly.

by Anonymousreply 149January 22, 2018 12:23 AM

The boomers raised a brood In relative peace and prosperity. Complaining about it makes someone sound like they are terribly spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 150January 22, 2018 1:15 AM

[quote] Bitter, mean, obnoxious, self-centered know-it-alls who always have to add their two cents, even when nobody cares or asks their opinion.

This is my mother (born in the early ‘60s). She’s the Dowager Empress of sneering, unsolicited criticism. I wouldn’t mind so much, only it’s never very astute. She’s quite stupid & small-minded but doesn’t have the reflexivity to know, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 151January 22, 2018 11:06 AM

Of course Boomers protested the Vietnam war: It affected THEM. They were the ones getting drafted. The politics they pretended were all about everyone's human rights, were actually just about themselves. Once they got their free degrees, public transport and affordable housing, so that they had enough money to buy health insurance, invest in properties using negative gearing, and buy cars. Suddenly they don't mind that housing education and health has become unaffordable for young people, suddenly they're quiet about sending youth to stupid wars.

by Anonymousreply 152January 22, 2018 11:23 AM

[quote] "The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

- Attributed to Socrates by Plato

More complaints by Great-Grandpa at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153January 22, 2018 1:30 PM

Old people have always been bitter, curmudgeonly, and resentful. The thing about Boomers is that they've [italic] always [/italic] been that way, even before they got old! Hell, the youngest ones are still 50something. That's not that old to be such bitter Betties.

I think it's all that lead, man. The lead got to their head.

by Anonymousreply 154January 22, 2018 6:37 PM

Boomers rock!

by Anonymousreply 155January 22, 2018 6:38 PM

Fuck them. They can go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 156January 22, 2018 10:48 PM

And the nerve of them to act like they invented activism for gay rights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157January 22, 2018 11:26 PM

what about GenZ? I'm GenZ and can't stand most of my kind

by Anonymousreply 158January 22, 2018 11:33 PM

[quote] Millennials are a lot of things that have been said, but they are also unsexy and homely in comparison (not everyone) to other generations.

R33 ooh, whatcha got there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159January 22, 2018 11:35 PM

Has anybody mentioned the word "defensive" yet? Because they are, and this thread is excellent proof of it. The OP asked Gen Xers and Millennials for their opinions on Boomers, yet the Boomers can't help but get butthurt and defensive about themselves and butt in with their own spin on things. You would think that for a generation who loves to insult others by calling them "snowflake," they are pretty damn sensitive and thin-skinned themselves.

by Anonymousreply 160January 22, 2018 11:41 PM

I'm pure pissed-off Gen X and never had a lot of time for the Boomers, but it their anti-war protest reputedly kept Nixon from dropping the bomb on Vietnam. Other that that--I envy them their lucky timing. Cheap housing, cheap gas, Johnson's Great Society --meaning free higher ed tuition-- low airfare so lots of travel and no goddamn tea partiers.

Me? I owe $ for the dental work I just had. And my fancy ass education keeps me poor.

by Anonymousreply 161January 22, 2018 11:51 PM

Sorry, no r159, I speak the truth.

by Anonymousreply 162January 23, 2018 12:21 AM

R33, that is rich coming from the generation that gave us ugly flannels, baggy pants, greasy long hair, sagging, and heroin junkie chic.

by Anonymousreply 163January 23, 2018 12:25 AM

White pasty marshmallow bodies who never had gym class are no prize either. Sterotype much, r163?

by Anonymousreply 164January 23, 2018 12:49 AM

I feel like they got it easy and I resent that. It's not their fault but it sucks being a millennial in your early 30s sometimes. Even if you have an education it's hard finding a good job. Also everything costs so much more now and wages haven't gone up accordingly. Some of them are really close minded too.

by Anonymousreply 165January 23, 2018 12:54 AM

Damn, if I've learned anything from Datalounge, it's that all three of y'all generations hate each other!

by Anonymousreply 166January 23, 2018 1:18 AM

What is this bullshit I keep reading about a free or cheap college education? Mine sure as hell wasn't.

I don't think anyone I knew had a bargain priced college degree either. I thought The Great Society was about civil rights and giving aid to black people who needed it.

by Anonymousreply 167January 23, 2018 1:42 AM

I picture them like Rose's daughter Kirsten on the Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 168January 23, 2018 2:13 AM

[quote] R165: I feel like they got it easy and I resent that. It's not their fault but it sucks being a millennial in your early 30s sometimes. Even if you have an education it's hard finding a good job. Also everything costs so much more now and wages haven't gone up accordingly. Some of them are really close minded too.

I’m at the tail end of the boomers, born 1960. By then, we had a lot of family orientated things to do, which was great.

But, it’s not like we had it easy. I graduated during the recessions of he early 1980s. In CT, things were worse than they were in 2009 during the Great Recession. After working for a few years, I went back to school, and graduated with a masters degree during the recession of 1989. We also had gas lines and rationing. And 18% mortgage interest rates.

My point being, take off your rose coloured glasses!

by Anonymousreply 169January 23, 2018 2:50 AM

The late boomers are gonna be around for another 30 to 40 years so you might get as well get used to them.

by Anonymousreply 170January 23, 2018 3:11 AM

J'adore Baby Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 171January 23, 2018 3:13 AM

[quote] The late boomers are gonna be around for another 30 to 40 years so you might get as well get used to them.

And we are taking care of their asses for the next 30 to 40 years, so they better get the hell used to us unless they want us to Dolores Clairborne them!

by Anonymousreply 172January 23, 2018 6:53 AM

Millennials caring for Boomers in their old age is exactly the karma that they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 173January 23, 2018 7:36 AM

And in 20 years GenZ will be hating on the lazy entitled Millennials . It never changes ,people

by Anonymousreply 174January 23, 2018 8:19 AM

Gen Z will not be taking care of us anymore than we will be taking care of Gen X. These things skip a generation. Do keep up.

by Anonymousreply 175January 23, 2018 8:25 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 176January 23, 2018 9:42 AM

If you got kicked out of school at 18 for propositioning a teacher, I don’t have many tears to shed for you. You were clearly a problem student with boundary issues and impulse control problems. Pointing out that the age of consent made you an adult at the time is also not really helping your case for an extreme pity party on your behalf. Sorry about the homophobia, but you got kicked out of school for being disruptive, inappropriate and hugely problematic.

by Anonymousreply 177January 23, 2018 10:07 AM

Gen X and Millennials may or may not get along with each other, but they can at least agree about the obnoxious Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 178January 23, 2018 10:16 AM

I think,from the boomers I've met their deeper somehow and less like machines. Your easier to talk to and dont seem as scattered or rushed.

by Anonymousreply 179January 23, 2018 10:46 AM

That's because they're hugely self-centered R179.

by Anonymousreply 180January 23, 2018 1:21 PM

I'm sure the corporate and oligarchical elite who have so efficiently used their ill gotten largesse to purchase state and federal legislatures and, most importantly, the Supreme Court, would be quite amused to read all of the above. Generations of workers fight among themselves while the money men rest contentedly in the knowledge that the next election will favor their interests as easily as the last election so long as they keep writing checks to purchase compliant politicians and friendly media. Victory resides in unity. Those of us who truly believe in the American dream and such issues as universal healthcare, a clean environment and social justice for all need to keep our heads on straight and not allow ourselves to be divided and coerced to vote against our own values.

by Anonymousreply 181January 23, 2018 1:50 PM

What R181 said. This intergenerational warfare shit is all a petty distraction. We are all stuck in the middle of this shit together, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 182January 23, 2018 4:09 PM

r36, if you were born in 1961 you are a Boomer, not Gen X. Here's a pretty good breakdown of the dates that define each generation in the link.

Boomers broke the economy. Republicans and deregulation broke it even further. It benefited some of them but makes wealth accumulation nearly impossible for the majority of the public. Years ago, almost all employers offered medical insurance (started as a perk after WWII to help recruit returning soldiers to jobs) and covered entire families. If you were self-employed, individual policies were very affordable. In the rare case you had no insurance and were hospitalized, you could work out a payment plan. Blue collar workers could support a family on a single income. They could retire with a pension. Boomers invented the 401k, which is basically planning your retirement in a fucking casino. We have expenses that didn't exist before - healthcare, even if employer-sponsored, most usually have to pay something into it, plus co-pays, out-of-network, prescription, extra for dental and vision, etc., 401K contributions, student loans, which are no longer dischargeable in bankruptcy since Boomers were the ones who wracked up tons of debt in student loans and then defaulted and/or declared Chapter 7 to start over. Not to mention rising housing costs, and things like internet and cell phones. We can't live without them anymore, but these things didn't exist before. I pay $300/month for phone/tv/internet. I have an $800 phone that the manufacturer is working on making obsolete so I have to buy a new one. Computers and appliances are disposable, you're lucky if you get 5 years out of them. Oh, you can buy a warranty for extra money, but when something breaks you will find that the warranty probably does not cover it.

I do appreciate the contributions that Boomers and the Greatest Generation made to society -- fighting in WWII, civil rights, etc. I appreciate Millennials' passion for causes but am frustrated by their naivete. ("Free college for all!" -- who the fuck is going to pay for it?!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183January 23, 2018 5:00 PM

Great post, R183.

by Anonymousreply 184January 23, 2018 6:00 PM

This thread reminded me that for all we view others' generations, what a mind fuck it must have been for the former twenty something into Dave Brubeck to wake up as a forty something in 1979 and meet punk rock.

by Anonymousreply 185January 23, 2018 9:08 PM

Has anyone read the book Generation X by Douglas Coupland? I saw him at a reading in NYC when it came out (maybe at Brentanos?), wondering if it still holds up today.

by Anonymousreply 186January 23, 2018 11:56 PM

[quote] R183: Boomers broke the economy.

Boomers, as a group, sacrificed to buy their crappy, ungrateful children everything they could. They raised the children In the most luxury they could manage. They sent them to the best schools. I don’t hate Gen XYZ, but I do hate to hear how spoiled and ungrateful some people are. You sanctimonious Gen XYZers should call your folks TODAY and thank them for raising you to be too stupid to realize what a soft life you have, just don’t phrase it exactly that way.

[quote] Boomers invented the 401k, which is basically planning your retirement in a fucking casino.

You have absolutely no idea. Do you know what a cascino is? Ever been in one? Do you know what a 401k is? It sure doesn’t seem so. I’ve done very well for 35 years in He market and now have more money at 57 than I will ever spend. And do you know what is riskier than the stock market? The risk that you won’t save enough during your working years and be forced to eat cat food in your golden years.

You sound like a fool, R183.

by Anonymousreply 187January 24, 2018 12:24 AM

"Free college for all" means that some of the money from the taxes you already pay goes toward educating society. Even if you don't use the opportunity for your own education, your community has trained doctors, engineers, physiotherapists, architects, all earning decent incomes and paying taxes to support infrastructure, as well as repay costs of their degrees. It's not like universities became expensive but the pay-off was that poorer and working classes suddenly didn't have to pay as much in taxes.

by Anonymousreply 188January 24, 2018 12:25 AM

Sellouts who got theirs then fucked the rest of us over.

by Anonymousreply 189January 24, 2018 12:27 AM

They had a lot of promise early on. Great music, great movies, some great fashion moments, counterbalanced by horrible policy and the inability/unwillingness to understand how the world has changed since their day. So they fucked us all over forever, but we also have plenty of nice distractions to keep us busy! yay!

by Anonymousreply 190January 24, 2018 12:48 AM

Off-topic, but what comes after Gen Z? Do we go back to "A" and start over?

Or do we switch to Roman numerals?

by Anonymousreply 191January 24, 2018 1:25 AM

It made sense to name and study the baby boomer generation. Due to the Depression followed by WWII, there was a huge population bump, in the 1940s through early 1960s. It had huge financial implications. Likewise, the huge numbers of this generation will require meds, nursing home care, hospice care, etc., which will strain the various facilities. That boom, will be followed by a bust, due to demographic reasons.

by Anonymousreply 192January 24, 2018 2:01 AM

E191, I think they play with video games,

by Anonymousreply 193January 24, 2018 2:02 AM

R188 it would have to come from new taxes. Revenue from state and federal taxes are already earmarked to cover other things.

by Anonymousreply 194January 24, 2018 2:10 AM

@ [R189] . 'Sellouts who got theirs and then fucked the rest of us over' ?

Keep striving, young one. Don't let your harsh judgments become your own destiny. Every generation makes it's own future. I worked for everything I have and you'll have to do the same. If you don't like things the way they are then change it for the better. What are the generations behind you going to say about you ?

by Anonymousreply 195January 24, 2018 2:12 AM

^ Keep spewing empty thought, but the fact remains the Boomers enthusiastically voted for Reagan. Don't send me to Vietnam, but go ahead and destroy Nicaragua. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 196January 24, 2018 3:35 AM

Sounds like a Boomer "I worked for everything I have, now you'll be working for everything I have".

by Anonymousreply 197January 24, 2018 3:46 AM

Or should I say "....now you can work for me to have everything".

by Anonymousreply 198January 24, 2018 3:48 AM

The boomers I respect are few. Most of them are selfish assholes with no empathy for the generations following them or the world we're inheriting that they've wrecked.

by Anonymousreply 199January 24, 2018 3:51 AM

[quote] The boomers elected Trump.

Not true, R9. I am a liberal boomer. I did not like Hillary, but I voted for her, because the alternative was Trump. On the other hand, Millennials stayed away from the polls in droves, simply because they couldn't get Bernie nominated. Milennials sulked by refusing to participate in the election, and THAT's why Trump was elected.

by Anonymousreply 200January 24, 2018 4:06 AM

Millennials smell like freshly cut roses. Cut roses have a short shell life.

by Anonymousreply 201January 24, 2018 4:08 AM

^^ shelf life

by Anonymousreply 202January 24, 2018 5:42 AM

Political hypocrites

by Anonymousreply 203January 24, 2018 6:02 AM

The element of Boomers, who had a social conscious, it seemed more genuine. Most Millenials who are 'socially conscious', are fake.

by Anonymousreply 204January 24, 2018 8:21 AM

@ [R196]. [R195] here. I had just turned 28 when the idiot Reagan was elected in 1980. I grew up in a union household and have never voted for a Republican for President. You've got a chip on your shoulder and there may be a good reason for that. Don't let it lead you to vote against your own interests. I voted for Hillary in the last election. Who did you vote for ?

by Anonymousreply 205January 24, 2018 11:24 AM

My parents are baby boomers. My mom just died, and she never stopped being a hippie all her life. She held onto her values and seemed like a crazy radical to us in the 80s and 90s and then suddenly over the past couple of years everything about her has made so much more sense. She has always been right about everything.

My dad is four years older, and it’s almost as if they are from different generations. He likes Doo Wop and and The Beatles and Kris Kristoffersen, and she loved Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin and The Doors.

I respect my parents and their values. I do think their generation as a whole became absolute materialists and fucked over a lot of us with greedy political and business decisions. My parents were always exceptions to this, but the boomers gave up the idea of saving and instead decided to live on credit, and from economics to the environment, they threw away any consideration to sustainability, just pushing amassing problems to the future for future generations to have to figure out. That is pretty shameful. But it’s not all of them. My parents taught me to be conservative with finances and with resources, and to be liberal with compassion. My sister and I are Gen X (I am on the cusp of Millennial, depending on the classification...I am 39 and pretty tech-oriented). I have worked in health and education sectors at nonprofits and my sister is a former counselor for troubled teens and for almost 20 years has worked for child protective services. We are definitely products of our upbringing by our Boomer parents, who are kind of anti-materialists, but I think they are exceptions to their generation.

by Anonymousreply 206January 24, 2018 1:00 PM

R205, spare us the lectures. We're discussing generations, not individual exceptions. The Boomers made Reagan happen TWICE. And like the majority of my generation, I've only voted Dem on national tickets, despite the damage the Boomers have done to that party with their repeated capitulation to big business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207January 24, 2018 1:29 PM

As a Gen Xer I've had more than enough of them. It's a new annoyance to me. But really, they've totally fucked up the country, starting with handing Ronald Reagan 525 Electoral College Votes of 538.

They were handed a post-war country that had a booming economy and the strongest, growing middle class ever. Every policy decision the Boomers have presided over has gutted the working class in favor of less regulation for business and lower taxes for the rich. And to pay for it, they have chipped away at every advance made under FDR and the New Deal.

And now they sit on their wealth and bitch about how the kids are ruining everything, even as dinosaurs like the Clintons refuse to go away and let the next generation take over.

I want them all to retire and pass the torch.

by Anonymousreply 208January 24, 2018 2:44 PM

It was the Boomer vote that got Trump over the finish line. Hillary won under 50 easily.

by Anonymousreply 209January 24, 2018 2:51 PM

I was only 17 years old and could see that Ronald Reagan was a fatuous fraud. But Boomers fell for him, hook like and sinker. Just as they did Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 210January 24, 2018 2:53 PM

"Milennials sulked by refusing to participate in the election, and THAT's why Trump was elected."

200 is a moron spewing idiocy. FACT: More Millennials voted than Boomers in the 2016 election.

But this is exactly who Boomers are. They can't and will never own their colossal own fuck ups. 200 is a Boomer who is blaming Millennials because Boomers voted for Trump by wide margins. Boomers have controlled the country since the 1980s and driven it right into a ditch. Nothing is ever their fault. Now they are blaming the generation who is working for them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 24, 2018 3:01 PM

Anyone who thinks that the current political/culture war in the USA is a battle between boomers and millenials is an idiot or is a paid bot looking to divide progressives so that the crooked Republicans can remain in charge and keep helping only themselves. The battle now and then is between Democrats and Republicans. Liberals and other progressives need to unite behind candidates who can win. Nothing could please Republicans more than to have Democrats fighting among themselves.

by Anonymousreply 212January 24, 2018 4:02 PM

It's a battle between Evil and the Lesser Evil. (Spoiler: Evil wins.)

by Anonymousreply 213January 24, 2018 4:21 PM

Thank you, R211. That was a real slick and false effort to try to put the blame about Trump on younger people.

by Anonymousreply 214January 24, 2018 9:00 PM

The lie that "Millenials are to blame for Trump" has been repeated so often, I'm sure the Boomer poster probably sincerely believes it. This is how Fox News works as well. Just repeat a lie often enough and everyone will believe it.

by Anonymousreply 215January 24, 2018 9:02 PM

What these Boomers really mean is "Insufficient numbers of millenials voted for Hillary to compensate for the majority of Boomers who voted for Trump!"

by Anonymousreply 216January 24, 2018 9:06 PM

I am irritated by their efforts to blame everybody else for the world's problems except for themselves. When they were young, they blamed everybody over 30. Now that they're old, they conveniently blame millennials for everything. They even blame us for things that are not true or not applicable to our generation. Now it's their turn to get criticized and dragged through the mud, and they are not liking it very much!

by Anonymousreply 217January 24, 2018 9:20 PM

[quote] Anyone who thinks that the current political/culture war in the USA is a battle between boomers and millenials is an idiot or is a paid bot looking to divide progressives

Yeah. Why don't I see any comments like this on one of the hundreds, thousands of threads that Boomers create complaining about millennials?

The Boomers get one tiny thread complaining about them and proceed to have a meltdown over anybody having the gall to criticize them!

by Anonymousreply 218January 24, 2018 11:04 PM

R157, they also like to take full credit for things that they did not fully start or exclusively participate in and make it all about themselves!

Most of those Civil Rights leaders in the 60s were not Boomers. They were Silent Generation or even older. Same with the protesters. Larry Kramer of ActUp is not a Boomer. I guess they are hoping that young people won't know the difference!

by Anonymousreply 219January 24, 2018 11:38 PM

And of course those Boomer hippies would protest the Vietnam War. It exclusively affected them! The hippie movement became as much about self-indulgent drug taking and free sex as it ever was about actual civil rights. How many of those student protesters do you think actually cared about civil rights in the south? Only a fraction, I bet.

by Anonymousreply 220January 25, 2018 12:51 AM

I hate them. They need to do the world a favor and simply retire from politics forever!

by Anonymousreply 221January 25, 2018 3:47 AM

At least we won't have to take care of them in old age. Good luck, Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 222January 25, 2018 9:33 PM

I hate all three of your generations! You all suck!

by Anonymousreply 223January 26, 2018 1:59 AM

A lot of Boomers are not [italic] that [/italic] old, with quite a few still in their '50s (if you are going by the 1964 cut-off). Maybe because we have a bunch of queens talking about golden age actresses from the 1940s, some posters think Boomers are of the same age and generation as Joan Crawford and Katharine Hepburn. 😂

To be honest, I would be curious to know how many pre-Boomer posters are on here, though.

by Anonymousreply 224February 6, 2018 6:21 AM

I cannot wait till they are all dead. Cannot happen soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 225February 6, 2018 6:29 AM

Another age misconception: I've read quite a few articles about "Grace and Frankie" being a Boomer-oriented comedy show, when in reality, none of the 4 main actors are Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 226February 6, 2018 6:34 AM

I was born in 1978. I think you're all a bunch of cunts.

by Anonymousreply 227February 6, 2018 6:47 AM

[quote]im sorry but i'm watching season 2 of 'grace and frankie' and the acting is so over the top with such a cheesy script, i can't put myself through this anymore

by Anonymousreply 228February 6, 2018 6:56 AM

Selfish. Self involved.

Me, me, me!

The extent to which they do not care about future generations or the state of the environment is appalling.

I bet they are or will become retirement home nightmares to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 229February 6, 2018 7:01 AM

Change my Depends r229.

by Anonymousreply 230February 6, 2018 7:04 AM

Has anybody yet mentioned that they are really fucking rude? And old age has only emboldened them into being more crass and unapologetic in their behavior, because now they can just blame their grouchiness on being old, and they expect everyone to defer to them on everything!

by Anonymousreply 231February 6, 2018 7:10 AM

Baby Boomers don't realize how much the world has changed. When they were starting out, hard work and perseverance was all you needed. It was much easier to succeed. You could have a job with a pension that you could work at the rest of your life. Back in the 1970's and 1980's, you could earn minimum wage, rent an apartment and put yourself through community college and/or state university without going into any debt. You could save up very easily and put a down payment on a house. I know this because I did this back then

It is not like that anymore. Jobs are shit. I used to work in a manufacturing facility and most of our workers were paid about $4 above minimum wage. So many of them couldn't afford the very reasonable (compared to other companies) health insurance. They either live with their parents, or are married (2 incomes) or they live with roommates. The only people that own homes are older workers or management. Barely any of them can afford college. I went to the local college bookstore and was SHOCKED at how much the books are. They have more than quadrupled in price. And economics textbook was $350 at a community college. I paid $30 for mine. I paid $42 for my new Algebra book. The one I saw that day was $155 (used). None of these people I used to work with, live extravagantly. They bring their lunches and they drive shitty cars. They don't go out to eat and they don't go to the movies. Netflix is an extravagance for most of them. None of them had student loan debt. If they did they wouldn't have been able to keep a roof over their heads

Working hard might be enough to get you by now, but it certainly isn't enough to get you ahead. If you want to step up the ladder you either have to know someone or come from a family with money. So many people my age don't realize how hard it is for younger people. They just think the younger people aren't working hard enough. They don't fucking realize that America doesn't have a level playing field anymore. Let's get real, the system is actually rigged against poor people. They're fucked

by Anonymousreply 232February 6, 2018 7:22 AM

OP, that photo is a fairly good representation of Boomers.

All of them with thumbs up and smiling in their best "I got mine, too bad, screw you" face, and the one old black guy obscured by that old hag's hair.

by Anonymousreply 233February 6, 2018 7:31 AM

A fascinating thread. It's interesting to read that most of the rancor against baby boomers comes from Gen Xers rather than Millennials, who I thought would be the ones complaining most.

by Anonymousreply 234February 6, 2018 7:54 AM

[quote] A fascinating thread. It's interesting to read that most of the rancor against baby boomers comes from Gen Xers rather than Millennials, who I thought would be the ones complaining most.

Millennials don't realize how things used to be. Gen Xers do. Gen Xers also realize how hard things are now. Boomers don't want to listen. Maybe they are just unable to comprehend how hard things are. Most boomers retire with a pension and health insurance from their company. Plus they get Medicare and Social Security. And most of them own their home when they retire. These people don't realize that most companies don't have pension plans. And that a lot of companies don't match 401 K plans. Or if they do match they match very little. These companies pay barely above minimum wage, they provide health insurance most people either can't afford at all the ones that can afford insurance can't really afford to use the insurance (the copays & deductibles are outrageous) and they don't contribute anything to their employees retirements (or they barely contribute)

by Anonymousreply 235February 6, 2018 8:31 AM

I guess it's partly because as kids, Gen X saw the elder Boomers enjoy their opportunities and then pull the ladder up just as Gen X reached for it. It didn't really stand out at first, when it was 'just' education. But when it's been every significant life stage since the 80s...

by Anonymousreply 236February 6, 2018 8:35 AM

Because we have been putting up with Boomers' bullshit for longer than Millennials, and we don't affix any type of parental sentimentality to them the way Millennials do. We have witnessed a wider range of their bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 237February 6, 2018 8:45 AM

[quote] what about GenZ?

Generation Z is lucky that their only contact with Baby Boomers will be that of seeing their family elders wheeled out at Thanksgiving or for family reunions.

Actually taking care of them is a cross that Gen X and millennials will have to bear for quite awhike.

by Anonymousreply 238February 6, 2018 9:06 AM

I just want them to retire.

Is that too much to ask for?

by Anonymousreply 239February 6, 2018 9:28 AM

The Boomers screwed us.

They were the last generation to enjoy affordable education, affordable rents and mortgages, decent cost of living wages on blue collar salaries, fat company pensions, endless bail-outs and tax cuts, and what is it that they do now in their elderly years?

They vote Trump and complain about how everybody younger than them is deficient.

Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 240February 6, 2018 9:48 AM

@ [R232] and [R235]. 65 year old boomer here. Of course boomers realize that things have changed. Whether we have children or, in the case of this gay man, nieces and nephews to hear from, or have simply paid attention to all we have seen, heard and read during our long lives we are at least as aware as you are that things have changed and- wait for it- we have insight into how and why things have changed. Insight that you obviously lack. Try to lose your self-pitying hypersensitivity for a minute and consider these facts.

Your assertion that baby boomers had it all handed to them and are now collectively enjoying a comfortable life of fat pensions and paid for homes is bullshit. Some are doing well (the same will be true of your generation) but many more are still struggling to pay off debt. The big switch from pensions to 401K plans happened during the boomer years and now many are realizing that these plans are inadequate even when added to Social Security.

The real battle, then and now, is between Republicans and Democrats, or, put differently, between conservatives and progressives. The money is on the side of conservatives. They wrap themselves in a cloak of hot button issues such as immigration, gun control, lgbt issues, anti-abortion issues, etc., anything that will excite the rabble and divide voters and convince the many who don't pay close attention to politics to vote against the progressive and for the conservatives. They are aided in this quest by conservative religious interests and conservative media. The real issue of course is to gain control of the Congress and the Supreme Court and to put there people who will do the bidding of the corporate and oligarchical elite who paid to put them there.

What has happened since Trump got in ? Regulations regarding air and water pollution have been trashed. Wall Street is now free to bilk investors once again. Health care for millions of deserving people has been trashed. Huge tax cuts, primarily for the rich. We have another phony saber rattling Republican in office who seems more concerned with pleasing Russia than with rebuilding the USA or solidifying our alliances with other progressive nations.

Wasting time and energy on generational warfare makes no sense and plays into the hands of the oligarchs who now have our country by it's throat. Progressives of all generations must work together to put in place decent candidates who can win. You seem to think you know it all. Do some research on how laws have been changed regarding media ownership over the past 30 years and you will have some insight into how insidiously big money has changed our culture and our political process.

Or, if your primary interest is in acting like a Republican bot, keep spewing your divisive bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 241February 6, 2018 12:47 PM

R241 vividly demonstrates for us why everyone hates Boomers. STFU.

by Anonymousreply 242February 6, 2018 12:48 PM

[quote]A fascinating thread. It's interesting to read that most of the rancor against baby boomers comes from Gen Xers rather than Millennials, who I thought would be the ones complaining most.

I think it's also just that there are probably more Gen Xers posting here than Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 243February 6, 2018 2:06 PM

You know very well just where we stand, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244February 6, 2018 2:46 PM

As a boomer I'd like to point out that the elders who voted for Trump are not the progressives of the 60s and 70s who fought for racial, women's and LGBT justice, and environmental causes. There was always a conservative element among my age group and it appears many are living in the red states. Some right wingers of the time swung left as they matured and perhaps some lefties swung right but no one I know.

My daughter is a millennial and I am particularly proud of how accepting she and her friends are of all people. They are a group of quirky individuals who grew up with technology and social media and are really comfortable with it, much for fluent than I could ever be. She and her friends work harder than I ever did and play harder, too. I think every generation has something to contribute, they are coping with the life the were born into. Boomers helped relax really oppressive social conditions and bring awareness to our environment. I remember when rivers flowed with garbage and the men's and women's job sections in the newspaper were segregated and minorities couldn't get hired into major companies because of discrimination. Boomers helped change all that. Now it's the younger generation's job to see it doesn't return to the world of the conservatives where once again profit is more important than the health of the earth and it's critters. From what I observe in my daughter and nieces and nephews, things will be OK.

by Anonymousreply 245February 6, 2018 3:08 PM

Oh well, pretty soon this Gen Z or whoever will be the young adults complaining about old people and it will be you they accuse of ruining the world!

by Anonymousreply 246February 6, 2018 5:59 PM

At [R242]. 'Everyone hates boomers' and 'stfu'. That's your best response ? Weak.

by Anonymousreply 247February 6, 2018 8:54 PM

No more needs to be said, Boomer cunt.

by Anonymousreply 248February 6, 2018 9:01 PM

For once we agree.

by Anonymousreply 249February 6, 2018 9:05 PM

They're assholes!

by Anonymousreply 250February 12, 2018 5:17 AM

My parents are Boomers and good people but ardent Trump fans and Fox News watchers. Because of this we have limited contact since most conversations somehow always lead to a liberal slur (the last one was about women protesting with their “cunt hats”) or a book recommendation by some Fox News hack.

I have not seen them in years since they live in a rural area. The thought of being trapped in their bubble for a week is unsettling. I am very much a liberal and politically aware so I loathe Trump. However I avoid discussion of politics with them because I know I will not change their mind. There is also this culture of trolling liberals by saying things to get a reaction so I just treat them like children that want negative attention and ignore them.

I am sad I don’t have more of a relationship with them but given my current reality I have to focus on living day to day, I no longer trust the whole “everything is going too be OK” and resent their ignorant arrogance about electing that idiot President. I focus my energy on being ready for the next big national catastrophe because I know I’m the only one that will have my back.

by Anonymousreply 251February 12, 2018 5:35 AM

In their rage at Boomers, Gen Xers often became regressive and anti-social

by Anonymousreply 252February 12, 2018 8:27 PM

Yes, the Boomers certainly deserve their share of the blame.

But guess what? The two younger adult generations are also to blame for not doing enough to wrest power away from the old guard. Time to rise up, wise up, and kick out some of those corrupt dinosaurs in congress who are tearing this country and its future apart!

by Anonymousreply 253February 14, 2018 8:44 PM

My parents were born in 1945. They got married young, worked really hard and made a modest fortune, mainly through investing wisely and living very modestly. They will be married 55 years this month and have spent the last 3 months putting a new roof on their house... themselves! (Not kidding. Dad still goes on 30 mile bicycle rides daily). The two best people I have ever known. I couldn't be prouder to call them Mom and Dad.

by Anonymousreply 254February 14, 2018 8:53 PM

Oh R254, didn’t anyone ever tell you? Culture is bad-mouthing your parents...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255February 14, 2018 9:11 PM

Except R255, that this thread is not about teens rebelling against their parents. It's about younger adults needing to evaluate the failed politicians and policies of older adults and needing to figure out a way to change the narrative of this nation before it's too late.

by Anonymousreply 256February 14, 2018 10:16 PM

The Boomers. They came into power when Reagan was elected. Most of them sat by and did nothing while people, mostly gay men, were dying from AIDS. They sat by while the religious right vilified gay men and lesbians and the government encouraged the rampant homophobia. Reagan should be blamed, but it’s also the Boomers who have blood on their hands. They were in power. They could have stopped this, but they did nothing. This is the heterosexual, white men and women who were in power. This makes them the most homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 257February 14, 2018 10:45 PM

Reagan and many of his associates were part of the greatest generation which preceded the boomers. Almost all of those gay men who died and almost all of those activists who fought for resources to fight AIDS were boomers. This simplistic assigning of blame to one generation or another is just wrong. Please do your homework.

by Anonymousreply 258February 14, 2018 11:24 PM

Selfish assholes. It's still all about them.

by Anonymousreply 259February 14, 2018 11:42 PM

@[R259] I see that your purpose is just to provoke with lies, sow division and display your own ignorance. I guess Daddy did you wrong a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 260February 14, 2018 11:54 PM

[quote]Selfish assholes. It's still all about them.

There is definitely something to this. Truth to this. I will do everything opposite my Baby Boom parents did when I have kids. I also wonder how many GenXers have relationships with their parents.

by Anonymousreply 261February 14, 2018 11:59 PM

[quote]The Boomers. They came into power when Reagan was elected. Most of them sat by and did nothing while people, mostly gay men, were dying from AIDS. They sat by while the religious right vilified gay men and lesbians and the government encouraged the rampant homophobia. Reagan should be blamed, but it’s also the Boomers who have blood on their hands. They were in power. They could have stopped this, but they did nothing. This is the heterosexual, white men and women who were in power. This makes them the most homophobic.

You see that homophobia here from gay Baby Boomers. They lived this but they hid. They’ll throw Stonewall in your face but the majority hid and were silent...and homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 262February 15, 2018 12:05 AM

[quote] They’ll throw Stonewall in your face but the majority hid and were silent...

Boomers did not "invent" gay rights either, as I've seen alluded to in other threads here. Don't let them fool you. The oldest Boomers were only 23, 24 years old in 1969. There were already other gay organizations and individuals who were fighting to gain recognition and end persecution long before them.

by Anonymousreply 263February 15, 2018 12:09 AM

And a lot of the icons that they claim as their own are not Boomers either. Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Joni Mitchell. None of them were Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 264February 15, 2018 12:11 AM

You folks should start your own thread. You can entitle it ' We're making it up as we go along" .

by Anonymousreply 265February 15, 2018 1:03 AM

Why? Nobody is saying anything that doesn't at least have some kernels of truth to it. Just because you don't like hearing the legitimate criticism that is offered up on this thread doesn't mean that it's all "make believe."

by Anonymousreply 266February 15, 2018 1:07 AM

Up your game. Strive for more than a 'kernel' of truth. Nobody respects a blithering idiot.

by Anonymousreply 267February 15, 2018 1:11 AM

This thread is about the opinions of what Generation X or Millennials think of Baby Boomers. Considering that your generation is the first to totally trash and criticize everybody else here, I fail to see exactly why you feel so wounded and triggered by this one single, solitary thread?

by Anonymousreply 268February 15, 2018 1:15 AM

You still don't seem to get it. I am offended by ignorant and untrue comments, not by your opinions. Opinions have no meaning when they're based on misinformation. Get your facts straight.

by Anonymousreply 269February 15, 2018 1:27 AM

And what have I said on this thread that is untrue, exactly?

That Boomers did not "invent" gay rights? This is true. The Society for Human Rights, Mattachine Society, and Daughters of Bilitis were around and fighting for gay rights much earlier than Boomers or the Stonewall uprising. That there are posters here who like to pat themselves on the back as falsely being the pioneers of gay rights or single-handedly responsible for civil rights? This is also true. I can't count how many times I've seen posters here try to pass that narrative off as truth. Most of the heavy lifting of the civil rights movement was accomplished by leaders and protesters who were older than the teenage and 20something Boomers.

That those musical legends aren't Boomers? This is true. They aren't Boomers. None of those people I listed were born in the baby "boom" that followed the end of WWII. They were/are from the Silent Generation.

Boomers do deserve credit for the student protests against the Vietnam War. But guess what? That affected them.

by Anonymousreply 270February 15, 2018 1:47 AM

OK, you've shown me that you are more informed than I had surmised from your earlier comments.

I don't know what you are talking about when you say that boomers claim to have 'invented' gay rights. I guess you're talking about one particular boomer. You should address that criticism to whoever made the remark and not generalize the criticism to all boomers. Their have been huge advances in gay visibility, gay rights etc during the boomer years and those who have worked for that and supported that deserve credit. You seem to want to deny boomers credit by making another hazy generalization about civil rights work done in the fifties and sixties. I'm faniliar with the groups you mentioned but why not go back further to include pioneers like Kinsey, Oscar wilde, Walt Whitman or the ancient Greeks, etc.

I also don't quite get what point you mean to make about the sixties rock heroes who were the idols of the boomer generation. In my entire life I have never heard anyone identify them as boomers. Most of them were born in the forties before WWII had ended. That's well known. And yet they created the soundtrack of the early boomer years. So what's your point ? Of course they were our heroes.

by Anonymousreply 271February 15, 2018 2:07 AM

To add to my comment. Your strategy has been to set up a straw man type of argument, one that any boomer can see through, and then knock it down while claiming you have exposed an untruth. Stop generalizing and stop lying. Some of the comments you're reacting to are written by people who are reacting to your dishonesty, not to your 'kernel' of truth. I've identified myself as a gay male boomer. Who are you ?

by Anonymousreply 272February 15, 2018 10:41 AM

[quote] That those musical legends aren't Boomers? This is true. They aren't Boomers. None of those people I listed were born in the baby "boom" that followed the end of WWII. They were/are from the Silent Generation.

True. And, thank God, most parents of Gen-X aren't Boomers, but also Silent Generation. Boomers are more likely to be our asshole co-workers who refuse to either admit that they're out of touch/out of date and retire, or adapt and learn new skills.

by Anonymousreply 273February 15, 2018 11:07 AM

I love the troll at r36 who stated he was Gen X because he was born in 1961, the same year as Obama.

Anyway, always remember kids, you are the generation that brought us Logan Paul and Pewdepie, along with Aziz Ansari's date and they "writer" who chronicled it. They are all on you. Now go to another practice drill for avoiding school shooters. And remember to keep Snapchat working at all times.

You have already failed.

by Anonymousreply 274February 15, 2018 11:08 AM

[quote] Now go to another practice drill for avoiding school shooters.

Typical Boomer cunt. Blame young kids today (btw, they are Generation Z, not Gen X or Millennial, but I guess you hate them already, too) for the failures of the [bold] overwhelmingly Boomer congressmen and NRA leadership [/bold]. This is why you assholes are hated.

by Anonymousreply 275February 15, 2018 3:35 PM

Baby Boomers have always been mean and bitter. It's not just them being old and crotchety now. Here is a website from the 1990s where they complain about Generation X. The comments there very accurately reflect what they were saying at the time, and this was 20 years ago. They should change the expression from Bitter Betty to Bitter Boomer.

And now they are hating on the new iGeneration? Oh well. Make that three generations who will hate them, instead of just two!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276February 15, 2018 3:50 PM

Congratulations for finding a nine year old document from a creepy unknown website written by God knows who that, in your mind, validates your self-pitying view that 'Boomers (who may or may not have written the document) hate us (sob !). Get real and please base all further comments on reality, not nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 277February 15, 2018 4:20 PM

[quote]most parents of Gen-X aren't Boomers, but also Silent Generation.

Many of us who were born in the 70s had Boomer parents. Most of the kids I went to school with had parents who were Boomers, very very few from the Silent Generation.

I think many people concentrate more on Gen Xers who were born in the 60s/early 70s and were already adults in the early 90s. Those of us born from the mid-70s to the very early 80s are the tail end of Gen X, and we've never really been bothered with that much.

by Anonymousreply 278February 15, 2018 4:38 PM

I was born in the seventies and had Silent Generation parents. Anyone born between 1970 and 1975 to parents over 30 has Silent Generation parents. My friends parents were evenly split between those who had youngish boomer parents and those who had older SG parents. Lots of big families in my (Catholic) school so anyone who was 3rd or later birth order probably had older SG parents.

by Anonymousreply 279February 15, 2018 4:49 PM

r279 maybe it's a regional thing.

by Anonymousreply 280February 15, 2018 4:51 PM

I find that the very youngest of Gen X and older Millennials are the ones with Boomer parents.

by Anonymousreply 281February 15, 2018 4:59 PM

I don’t think birthrates vary that much by region, r280. In any given age group you’re going to see a spectrum of ages of the parents of those kids born in a given year. Some will be as low as 15, others will be in their mid-40s, most will be in the 25-30 year old range. A generation is usually defined in a 20-25 year period, so someone born on the cusp of a new generation will most likely have a parent two generations removed rather than one. Conversely, someone born at the tail end of these (very arbitrary) cut-offs to a teen mother could very well be in the same “generation.”

by Anonymousreply 282February 15, 2018 5:08 PM

I don't know why, but this whole thread cracks me up. It reminds me of another website I visit except that over there this thread would simply be titled "Boomer HATE thread."

by Anonymousreply 283February 15, 2018 5:31 PM

Wow, this thread almost makes me feel sorry for baby boomers.

by Anonymousreply 284February 15, 2018 9:49 PM

They’re older!

by Anonymousreply 285February 15, 2018 10:07 PM

I can't stand baby boomers and I wish they could see themselves as I see them -- the absolute worst generation of human beings of any era or society. If baby boomers saw themselves they way I see them they'd all kill themselves and let the rest of us get on with repairing the damage from their terribly short-sighted and SELFISH crimes.

by Anonymousreply 286February 15, 2018 10:10 PM

You really give us way too much credit. You will understand this in thirty years or so when the younger generation holds you responsible for the state of the world.

by Anonymousreply 287February 15, 2018 10:24 PM

Ryan seacrest refers to himself as a milenial

by Anonymousreply 288February 15, 2018 10:27 PM

Don't feel too sorry for them, R284. Boomers perfected the art of sowing generational hate. They can certainly dish it out, but can they take it?

by Anonymousreply 289February 16, 2018 7:50 AM

My father was born in 1946 and my mother was born in 1950. I was born in 1975. I feel like Jesus Christ Himself.

by Anonymousreply 290February 16, 2018 8:33 AM

Here is the face of a disgusting, entitled Boomer who the majority of other Boomers voted for. 'Nuff said!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291February 16, 2018 12:32 PM

Seems like I'm a somewhat of xennial. But my parents didn't care how I dressed in the sense that a lot of my clothes were to big. They probably fit me me in my 30s.I walked everywhere alone school, church to the store. My mother don't work til I was 15 and I barely saw my father. They were never together. I never had a computer, internet or video games. I was born 78. I took care of my 2 siblings and did a lot of chores. My parents wanted me to get a job. I had to beg to go to college. Maybe that's why I'm kind of a xennial.

by Anonymousreply 292February 16, 2018 1:33 PM

@ [R291]. More empty and deceptive generalizations. More than 40% of boomers voted for Clinton and more than a third of millennials voted for Trump. Why is it so hard for you to talk about things as they actually are ? Every individual is responsible for his own vote (or non-vote). Progressives need to work together across generations if we want a change in 2020. Infighting only helps the Republicans. Is that your goal ? It sure seems like it.

by Anonymousreply 293February 16, 2018 2:19 PM

I don't think Boomers are any better or worse than any other generation, but one thing they need to do is retire already! They have had their very long moment in the sun. Their refusal to retire and hand over power has created a logjam for the two younger adult generations. It's time for them to let Gen X and Millennials take over and figure stuff out.

by Anonymousreply 294February 17, 2018 12:53 AM

It will be a cold day in hell before Boomers willingly let go of any power.

by Anonymousreply 295February 17, 2018 1:35 AM

Baby Boomers are the white elephant prize for not losing everything during WWII. We changed everything to accommodate this HUGE population boom with little thought as to how this social planning would affect other generations. Now, we're pretending there will be some HUGE wealth transfer to us as they die off. They're not dying. Their cash is being siphoned off by corporate citizens like Citigroup and BC/BS.

There are so many fucking many of them, I wouldn't even try to define them as anything more than a swarm, legion, or trophy.

by Anonymousreply 296February 17, 2018 2:57 AM

If Gen X and Millennials want to take control, now is their time.

by Anonymousreply 297February 17, 2018 5:32 AM

But realistically, Gen X and millennials are cursed into taking care of Boomers. Accept it.

Boomers had it made. Both Gen X and Millennials were screwed by them. The kindest thing that either generation can do now is make sure that the youngest generation won't get fucked over the way they were.

by Anonymousreply 298February 17, 2018 5:45 AM

Too late - they voted Trump POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 299February 17, 2018 5:50 AM

Boomers voted Trump.

That was their "fuck you" to younger people.

Gen X and Millennials now outnumber Boomers. This is our turn to take this country away from them.

by Anonymousreply 300February 17, 2018 5:54 AM

And what about when Generation X and Millennials take over, R300? Do you honestly think all of the world's problems will be wiped away?

by Anonymousreply 301February 17, 2018 8:19 PM

No, but at least they are less likely to elect a celebutard reality star POTUS in the name of taking us back to some mythical “good old days” when America was “great” aka less brown

by Anonymousreply 302February 17, 2018 8:26 PM

The biggest favor that baby boomers can give to the world now is to all collectively NOT vote in the upcoming elections. Seriously. Let the younger adults vote on their future. Resist the urge to cast that ballot come November. This is not your world anymore.

by Anonymousreply 303February 17, 2018 9:03 PM

I think a lot of the vitriol you're seeing on this thread is based on the fact that a new generation is entering the workplace. So now you not only have baby boomers not retiring, there is a whole new generation bumping Gen Xers and Millennials further into this clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 304February 17, 2018 9:33 PM

Do you think that some of the vitriol is bot-driven, a calculated attempt to sow discord and divert and divide the populace ? I do. So little of it makes sense. 'I wish all boomers would retire, die, etc, they are to blame for all the worlds problems.' And yet not one of these complainers has told a credible personal story that would justify the anger. The boomers and millenials that I meet don't spout that kind of nonsense. I smell a rat. Their complaints don't arrive as compelling truths. Their aim is to anger, incite and divide. Who does that ?

by Anonymousreply 305February 17, 2018 10:40 PM

This website has been filled with Boomers trashing Millennials for years and years. Why are you so shocked that there is one thread complaining about Baby Boomers, R305?

by Anonymousreply 306February 17, 2018 10:48 PM

Age/term limits for Senators and Congressmen would help. Some of these old farts like Orin Hatch are senile. If you look like The Cryptkeeper it’s time to go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307February 17, 2018 10:57 PM

Agreed, R307. Hell, I've voted for Dianne Feinstein (not a Boomer), but even I think it's time for her to bow out and let new blood in.

by Anonymousreply 308February 17, 2018 11:01 PM

@[R306]. [R305] here. Did I say I was shocked ? No, I said I smelled a rat. You could prove me wrong by identifying yourself (by sex and generation) and giving a bit of your personal story, enough to justify your negativity.

by Anonymousreply 309February 17, 2018 11:13 PM

I don't need to provide anything to you^^ But since you so rudely asked, FWIW, I am a longtime DL poster, gay man, Millennial who has probably been posting here longer than you. And no, I don't "hate" Boomers - in fact, I am quite fond of the many in my life - but as a generation, they are not above criticism or reproach or critical discussion. Lord knows many of our Boomer posters have gone to town criticizing and trashing younger people for two decades.

by Anonymousreply 310February 17, 2018 11:24 PM

[R309] here. Yes, I have seen such postings. Some are done as humor and some people have real anger. I personally have no such anger toward millenials or gen x'ers. The main thrust of my comments here has been to remind people of all generations that intergenerational warfare benefits only the present administration and their supporters. I think if people think in terms of solutions there is reason to hope that the country can move in a more progressive direction. I'm a person who has always voted for the progressive candidate, usually democratic but occasionally republican or independent. As a retired boomer in my sixties (and also a gay male) I like to think that the future could be better than today.

by Anonymousreply 311February 17, 2018 11:37 PM

I mean seriously, who cares what fucking millennials think

by Anonymousreply 312February 17, 2018 11:42 PM

More boomers would leave the workforce if they weren't concerned about unpredictable out of pocket health care costs guaranteed to sink their savings. They're only safe to retire if they've got 'fuck you' money and can withstand big financial unknowns. Or have a plan to take a cyanide pill. They don't want to live in poverty and they don't want their kids putting them through major surgeries and then putting them in expensive nursing homes.

by Anonymousreply 313February 17, 2018 11:43 PM

Anyone who cares about the next election should care what millennials and all other generations think.

by Anonymousreply 314February 18, 2018 12:19 AM

@ [R310]. [R311] here. No, boomers are not above criticism. But in order to be credible that criticism has to be measured and informed. Name calling and absurd and unfair generalizations just generate heat. In this dark time we need light a lot more than we need heat.

by Anonymousreply 315February 18, 2018 12:53 AM

R315, I tend to agree with you. I was just in a grouchy mood. I am also not the poster saying Baby Boomers should die or whatever...if I really did not like all Boomers, I would not be posting here for 18 years..

by Anonymousreply 316February 18, 2018 1:03 AM

Well, it's nice to know that there is at least one millennial on this site who doesn't hate boomers ! Thanks for the dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 317February 18, 2018 1:52 AM

I don’t understand how anyone can think they are entitled to demand that another generation all retire immediately. Very strange. That’s not how the world works.

by Anonymousreply 318February 21, 2018 8:12 AM

R318, there are many more boomers than Gen Xers. Most boomers have not retired. This creates a job market issue for Gen X, a group that should be moving into more powerful positions now that they are 40+. The boomer's parents were not a majority in the work force in the 1980s.

Gen X has not not given many opportunities to succeed and will not do better than the boomers (collectively). Add a larger group (millenials) to fight for these same jobs and it is an even bigger mess. How is this difficult to understand?

by Anonymousreply 319February 21, 2018 8:57 AM

R319, here’s one of the problems: Boomers weren’t “given” opportunities to succeed. We “earned” them. We “took” them, in hand-to-hand combat with our predecessors and with each other. That’s what young people need to do. The successful ones are already doing so, and are earning their places.

R319, it reads as if you are just looking for an excuse for your own lack of success. Don’t stress, the world needs ditch diggers too!

by Anonymousreply 320February 21, 2018 9:11 AM

R320, I am breaking down the basics of this thread's argument without judgment. Somehow you think that individuality created your "success." Many would consider that a false belief.

by Anonymousreply 321February 21, 2018 9:20 AM

I'm a baby boomer and I couldn't give a shit what they think about me. I know what I think about them and it isn't positive. I work in a legal environment where cell phones are not permitted. These younger people are like heroin addicts with their phones; every 20 minutes they get from their desks, disappear into the break room and don't return for half an hour. What the fuck could they be looking at for 30 minutes during work time? Do they have to send that many messages? Do they have that many emails to read? One guy I work with easily spends 2 - 3 hours per work day on his phone. Unbelieveable.

by Anonymousreply 322February 21, 2018 9:21 AM

Again, why are people focusing on individual behavior instead of the groups as a whole?

The boomers, as pleasant and hard working as they say they are, do not retire from the workplace at 62ish anymore, and this causes hardship to other generations. It's not personal r320, r322.

And it isn't about lazy people, or phones or about how much harder you had to work. That is old man talk. Is Archie Bunker here?

by Anonymousreply 323February 21, 2018 9:32 AM

[quote] I'm a baby boomer and I couldn't give a shit

These are the truest words spoken by any Boomer on this thread. It should be written on your collective epitaph. You don't give a shit about anybody other than yourselves. Never have. Never will.

by Anonymousreply 324February 21, 2018 9:35 AM

@ [R324]. We hear your self-pitying sobs and we are truly moved.

@[R323]. Every boomer I know who is not retired has put it off because they can't afford it. Also, it's interesting to hear that caring about job performance is 'old man talk' .

I guess rationalizing why someone else is to blame for your failure is easier than focusing on and working towards success.

by Anonymousreply 325February 21, 2018 1:00 PM

A fact during the last recession around 2008-2010, Boomer hires in the workforce actually increased, while every other age cohort saw a severe decline. A lot of Boomers returned to the workforce after having their retirement funds reduced.

At my last job, my boss said she'd retire at full retirement at age 67 and I would take over her position. When she was 68, she was still there with no signs of leaving. I left that job that year, after 5 years in the same job. She is still there, now age 71. And she has a husband with an excellent salary too - a dean at a local university. Greedy is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 326February 21, 2018 6:39 PM

I’m 37 am I an X?

by Anonymousreply 327February 21, 2018 8:24 PM

Sorta, R327. You're on the cusp of X and Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 328February 21, 2018 9:02 PM

R327, I am 36 turning 37 later this year and consider myself the first bookend of Millennial, although I find myself not totally relating to the younger M's. I don't consider myself X, although I share some of the qualities of younger Xers, namely a fondness for '90s pop culture and music.

by Anonymousreply 329February 21, 2018 9:17 PM

I can’t wait for them all to die.

by Anonymousreply 330February 21, 2018 9:22 PM

@[R330]. Are you aware that you're an ungrateful mega-creep ? You must be a joy to work with.

by Anonymousreply 331February 21, 2018 10:09 PM

I’m a mega creep because I can’t wait for the generation that raped the earth and left us with the grizzly awful aftermath to die? Do they have WiFi in your retirement home? R331

by Anonymousreply 332February 22, 2018 8:34 AM

R320 Boomers didn't earn shit. They were lucky to come of age in a time of prosperity, after the end of a world war, when economy was prospering and job opportunities were aplenty. Also, meritocracy and social mobility did work for a while then, because of the aftermath of the war. That is a fact. This was over by the time Gen X entered the job market. Gen X are more educated than their parents, and yet will collectively end up being poorer than their parents, enjoy less employment stability and hold jobs that do not match their qualifications (on the lower end rather than the higher end, the reverse than their parents did). Unless of course they are born into priviledge. It is even worse for Millenials and Xennials.

by Anonymousreply 333February 22, 2018 10:38 AM

@[R333]. You know, at some point the 'oh poor me !' act has got to end. Your plan for your future has to be more than 'I wish they all would just die ! ' .

You have a real talent for assembling vague generalized 'pseudo-facts' and unsourced data to make your wonderful points. Perhaps you should work for the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 334February 22, 2018 12:41 PM

That Boomers should leave the workforce now that they are well into their 60s, and 70s, is simple common sense. Who said they needed to die to achieve that? They simply need to retire.

by Anonymousreply 335February 22, 2018 5:32 PM

R334, the things R333 said concerning lifetime income and social mobility are at this point uncontested facts. Also, such talking points would probably be made by a liberal, not a republican.

by Anonymousreply 336February 22, 2018 6:53 PM

@ [R336]. There was a boom during the postwar years of the 1950's and 1960's. In the wake of the Vietnam War and the Nixon scandals the economy began to slip and there was a recession during the Carter years when boomers were in their teens, twenties and thirties , (presumably where you are now).

Reagan's ascendence during the eighties came with the big rollback in union membership and strength due to an increasingly conservative Supreme Court and growing Republican strength in Congress. When the Republicans won the Congress in the early 90's all of that accelerated. Thanks to the Democrats Social Security was saved, but the days of being able to depend on reliable pension systems was over. That is why so many boomers are postponing retirement. Of course I left out most of the economic downturns that have occurred since the seventies.

It wasn't the worst of times and it wasn't the best of times (I also left out the AIDS crisis and 9-11 and the subsequent wars). In other words it was a lot like now, economically speaking. It's time to stop using absurd generalizations to broadbrush the experiences of a huge and hugely diverse generation. You don't know my story and it doesn't measure up at all to your fantasy of a generation that had everything handed to them. For God's sake stop the pathetic crybabying and get to work.

by Anonymousreply 337February 22, 2018 8:22 PM

Thanks for your shallow and vapid response, R337.

by Anonymousreply 338February 22, 2018 9:13 PM

@[R338]. For the love of God, please get a job !

by Anonymousreply 339February 22, 2018 10:55 PM

The attitude I’m reading about here from this young person is so bizarre that I think it’s a symptom of a severe mental illness. I know of no boomers or anyone older who would expect other people to make a major life change, such as retirement, for their own convenience, as this person does. And the ignorance displayed! I hope this all isn’t common amount younger people today. And the hypocrisy of calling boomers “selfish”!

The fact is, it’s always been difficult to excel in the workplace. Take responsibility for your own life and stop blaming others, OP. Plenty of young people achievers - and a sign of a high achiever is resilience and acceptance of responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 340February 22, 2018 11:10 PM

I recall during the dotcom boom, there were a lot of very young people running million dollar ventures. There were articles about how some of them were millionaires but weren’t old enough to rent cars, or get hotel rooms, or even fly in some cases. Those weren’t boomers, just young people with smarts and initiative. There are lots of very young people today who are being successful with new technology in the mobile and hemp industries.

Go West, OP. Far, far, West. Achieve your fortune!

by Anonymousreply 341February 22, 2018 11:15 PM

I retired at 62 from a really great job. I am a lifelong supporter of gay rights, women's rights, civil rights, fair housing, the environment, and the progressive agenda in general. I don't know any boomers who voted for trump.

If I knew what a lot of bitter assholes SOME of you Gen Xers and Millennials are I would have hung on to my job for a lot more years, just to annoy you. The Gen Xer who replaced me is doing a terrible job. She exaggerated her skills and can't do a fraction of what I accomplished. I hear this from a former co-worker.

That said, it's not a good idea to assume any single group is all alike. There are good and bad in every age group. I'm a progressive but I know many progressives who are absolute assholes. Others are great, same for any group.

by Anonymousreply 342February 23, 2018 1:19 AM

I think it depends which work industries we are talking about here? Let's just say I work in a healthcare industry position where it's frankly unsustainable for people beyond a certain age to continue, so while there are Boomers coworkers still around, they are most definitely retiring or planning to retire very soon. I hold no ill will to older generations, many of whom taught me everything I needed to know in what can sometimes be a very stressful environment.

by Anonymousreply 343February 23, 2018 1:27 AM

I'm a Boomer and am not a Republican or Trump supporter. However, my generation failed the millennials. We did some great things for civil rights, the environment, etc, but we have not been able to sustain them. Now a bunch of old white greedy geezers are tearing everything apart and I can understand why many millennials and gen xers might hate us.

Watching the high school students on TV speak so passionately and articulately about the tragedy in Florida has given me faith again. I am so impressed with their ambition to turn things around again. I can't wait for March 24 to march with them. It will be so much more meaningful this time with the youth of America on the streets demanding action on gun control. I think this is a generation that will turn things around for America. Enough of ignorant bigots, it's time for the bright young teens to lead the way.

by Anonymousreply 344February 24, 2018 2:40 AM

I've always hated them.

by Anonymousreply 345February 24, 2018 3:26 PM

[quote] I bet they are or will become retirement home nightmares to deal with.

To be fair, I'm a nurse, and the worst and most challenging people I have to deal with on a daily basis are the adult Gen X children of elderly patients, mainly 40 - 50 year old white women, but men, too.

It must be the stress of being working adults with both kids and old parents.

by Anonymousreply 346February 24, 2018 3:57 PM

I don’t know any boomer who chooses to work into old age. They all have to work in order to keep a roof over their head and food in their stomach. If they quit, they would end up on the streets looking for a government hand out. And the companies that keep them working find they are valuable to them. They have knowledge, experience, and are focused hard workers.

If they quit, GenX, are you willing to help feed them and keep a roof over their head? Are you willing to finance their medical bills?

by Anonymousreply 347February 24, 2018 4:14 PM

I like the Brady Bunch. They're Boomers, right?

by Anonymousreply 348February 25, 2018 8:00 AM

R346, why are they the worst?

by Anonymousreply 349February 25, 2018 8:14 AM

Selfish pigs who voted themselves tax cuts their whole lives, despite not leaving enough money to cover their retirement and Social Security, which every successive generation is going to have to pay.

by Anonymousreply 350February 25, 2018 8:45 AM

They inherited a rich, prosperous country and they bankrupted it. They cut their own taxes and they borrowed money without any thought as to how it would affect future generations. They did not address climate change. They did not address gun control. They have been reckless with our own natural resources. And now even here on Datalounge you can see them blaming the generations afterwards as being responsible for all of the problems of this country. They want to take 0% responsibility for the problems affecting the country.

by Anonymousreply 351February 25, 2018 8:48 AM

All you need to do to learn what vile people Boomers are is watch a few episodes of 'thirtysomething.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352February 25, 2018 11:15 AM

@[R350] and [R351]. If your game is to pigheadedly blame every sentient adult for all of the problems that exist now then that includes you. Gen Xers and Millenials have both had the vote for quite a while. Every adult of voting age shares responsibility for the state of the world now. And when I say 'you' I'm not talking about an entire generation. I'm talking about you, as individuals, who continue to write destructive comments that seek to divide generations of progressives while the oligarchical elite and their conservative enablers do their best to turn back the clock on the environment, human rights, and a thousand other important issues. You are working for them when incite enmity between generations of progressives. We need to stay united and not heed the attempted diversions of empty headed idiots and paid bots who seek to divide and divert us.

by Anonymousreply 353February 25, 2018 11:58 AM

Millennials, pursue a career in finance. With the exception of the c-suite there are very few executives over 40 at the major investment banks.

by Anonymousreply 354February 25, 2018 7:25 PM

R346, I work in a large city, but from my experience, that particular group is rather nasty to deal with: yelling, namecalling, talking down to nurses, constantly calling and expecting their loved one (usually an elderly parent) to get special or more frequent attention despite the fact that we see a high and constant volume of patients, and just being plain rude! The elderly patients themselves are, in comparison, much more easygoing. I don't think this is some inherent GenX flaw, as more frequently I am seeing millennial adult family members behaving the same way. I think it's a middle-aged, working adults under stress thing. Love all my GenX co-workers, but yes, keep middle age white women family members away -they can be a pain in the ass to deal with. Thanks for letting me vent!

by Anonymousreply 355February 26, 2018 6:49 PM

We would but you won’t get the fuck out of the job market r354.

by Anonymousreply 356February 27, 2018 9:01 AM

They are so tone deaf that they are only now realizing that the younger generations can't stand them.

by Anonymousreply 357March 26, 2018 9:22 AM

Ready for the next generations, I hope.

by Anonymousreply 358March 26, 2018 9:35 AM

Boomers climbed up an economic ladder and are now pulling it up behind them. That's all you need to know about them.

by Anonymousreply 359March 26, 2018 12:09 PM

Assholes. The most entitled generation ever. They took a healthy economy and ran it into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 360April 4, 2018 9:45 AM

What am I, psychic?

by Anonymousreply 361April 4, 2018 10:10 AM

I work with a fairly well known non profit. The employees are divided 50%boomers / 35% gen x / 25% millennial. OMFG the boomers do N O T H I N G! They chit chat, flit around, "work from home", visit each other's offices, get in late and leave early. W O W!

Luckily I do not rely on any of them to do my job but it is very distracting. Not sure how management has gone on just letting this go for decades. Trust me none of them will leave until they have to.

by Anonymousreply 362April 4, 2018 11:09 AM

My biggest complaint with them is what big fucking snowflakes they have become.

After years of criticizing Gen X, and now years of criticizing millennials, there are a few posts that criticize them here and there and they have an absolute meltdown.

They can dish it for sure. But they can't take it!

by Anonymousreply 363April 4, 2018 11:13 AM

They have always been snowflakes with a superiority complex.

You can read in between the posts here how they think that they alone invented wit, intelligence, style, grace, fashion, and humor. Nevermind that most of their outdated references [italic] pre-date [/italic] them. Boomers were not responsible for the glamorous, golden age of Hollywood. They were hardly responsible for the music and movies that they like to claim as their own, too.

They do deserve credit for being good liars and great usurpers. Because if Baby Boomers could, they would have you believe that they alone invented the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 364April 4, 2018 11:36 AM

I wish I could WW you 100 times, R364.

by Anonymousreply 365April 4, 2018 11:40 AM

Thank you, R364. I've seen baby boomers on here try to take credit for Joan Crawford, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Martin Luther King Jr., JFK, etc.

I bet they are betting that the younger generations are too stupid or naive to know any better.

by Anonymousreply 366April 4, 2018 11:51 AM

After reading too much of this crazy-ass thread, I suddenly realized that this is a fertile topic for Boris and Yuri to exploit for division's sake.

by Anonymousreply 367April 4, 2018 11:54 AM

Yeah, funny that.

It's only just now suddenly a Boris and Natasha thread. Nevermind the rather divisive 1,000,000 threads that Baby Boomer posters have started over the past years criticizing younger people.

by Anonymousreply 368April 4, 2018 11:58 AM

If you want to read Baby Boomer delusion and revisionist history, read the "How did Americans become slobs" thread.

by Anonymousreply 369April 4, 2018 12:09 PM

The Boomers in a nutshell, R362.

by Anonymousreply 370April 4, 2018 12:16 PM

This thread has been enlightening in that I had no clue how much both generation x and millennials resented us.

by Anonymousreply 371April 4, 2018 12:18 PM

Ageism.

by Anonymousreply 372April 4, 2018 12:19 PM

Typical Boomer behavior at R371 and R372, acting like they have no clue why they are being criticized and to contort themselves into the victims somehow.

by Anonymousreply 373April 4, 2018 12:25 PM

^^^^ And to assume that it's utterly impossible for "red-blooded Americans" to loathe and resent them. Unthinkable! Must be paid Russian shills who hate God, America, apple pie, mom, Wally, and the fucking Beaver.

by Anonymousreply 374April 4, 2018 2:07 PM

It was the... the... BOOMERS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375April 4, 2018 6:03 PM

Gen x here. A lot of gen x had early boomer parents like mine (they were born 1946/47, my siblings and I in the mid seventies). I think these parents were the worst in terms of indifderwnce, self absorption, and abusive behavior. They were overall a pretty lucky generation except for the Vietnam War which affected men around their age. The 1970s, while a little more egalitarian and culturally rich in certain cities, really sucked economically and no one really enjoyed a lot of luxuries like today. I can always tell a boomer just by the self satisfied sense of humor and certain expressions (like using “gals” instead of generic “guys”).

by Anonymousreply 376April 4, 2018 6:19 PM

Life has changed so dramatically now and I think a lot of them are out-of-touch. I also think many of them sold out. My dad (boomer) got to be a pothead hippie, live in a commune, drove around the country, generally fucked around for a couple of years then magically decided he wanted a white collar job, got one fast, rose up the ladder fast, then became a Republican. That would never happen today. He absolutely worked hard, but circumstances back then were much better for jobs, home-ownership, etc. Today, it feels like if you make one mistake or misstep, your life is ruined. There is way more competition for jobs. College degrees are far more expensive, yet worth far less. Home-ownership is far more expensive and not on-par with salaries. Freelance jobs are the new norm (as opposed to secure jobs with 401ks and benefits). As a millennial, I don't think I'll ever see Social Security. I just wish they would recognize how lucky their circumstances were. With all of that said, I worry far more about the younger generations than I do boomers. The rapid decline in intelligence and critical thinking (the dumbing down of America) is what scares me most.

by Anonymousreply 377April 4, 2018 6:53 PM

Boomer did have it somewhat easier, and at least white collar workers weathered the 1972-1982 decline reasonably well. But they have left a terrible legacy for the rest of us. Standards In public education have deteriorated to an utter joke. Critical thinking and debate skills are now virtually nonexistent in the millennial generation....Public sector employee pensions and benefits will bankrupt a huge number of state and local governments. Things aren’t looking so great and Boomers largely set this into motion.

by Anonymousreply 378April 4, 2018 8:33 PM

Public sector employee pensions and benefits will bankrupt a huge number of state and local governments

So true R378. Those pensions were voted in by top of the heap boomers, for themselves and their union boomer buds. Not all boomers got on this gravy train, though. Many are as pissed as their children are.

by Anonymousreply 379April 4, 2018 9:20 PM

It's interesting to see how this thread has degenerated into an endless circle jerk of supposedly angry millennials whose message consists of phony complaints calculated to anger boomers along with assorted Republican talking points on unions, etc. Hmmmmmm....

by Anonymousreply 380April 5, 2018 6:18 PM

Both were raised by Boomers, but Gen X were always the responsible older brothers while Millennials...

by Anonymousreply 381April 5, 2018 6:20 PM

R380 many democrat union members hate the unions they had to join to get and keep their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 382April 5, 2018 9:12 PM

Had lot of family belong to and work for unions, both public sector and non. Common thread is that all were more akin to mafias and intimidation-coercion shops than any attempt to better the lives of average American workers...power struggles within union leadership were straight out of the Sopranos as was the corruption.

by Anonymousreply 383April 8, 2018 9:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!