Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Miniaturist

It's like they took Kelly Preston's life and transported it to Old Amsterdam!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2018 12:44 AM

OP It took time to get going but suddenly took on a life of its own. Looking forward to the conclusion tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1December 27, 2017 6:07 AM

It looks like a Rembrandt oil come to life! I love it!

by Anonymousreply 2December 27, 2017 6:13 AM

The husband is gay....and was caught veins sucked off. It's not a bad drama, but the lead actress is a bit wooden.

by Anonymousreply 3December 27, 2017 6:31 AM

R3 The bastards drowned him. I was so hoping he'd escape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 27, 2017 9:50 PM

This was on PBS tonight. Did anyone see it? I hadn't seen it before. Part I ended with a blow job.

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2018 5:11 AM

I watched it tonight R5 - I couldn’t figure out what was really going on — were Johannes and Marin having an incestous affair (explaining her hardcore piety)? was Johannes injured rendering sex impossible? is Johannes gay? I started with the first, but evolved to one of the last two after he pushes her hand away from his loins when they kissed. Obviously, having part 1’s final scene, I now know he is gay.

Johannes being gay can explain Marin’s piety too. I’m also guessing Otto and Cordelia are loyal and protective of Johannes because of this. Poor Nella, tricked into a marriage blanc to save her family. But who in the miniaturist and what does he know?

It was a bit slow going in the first half tonight, but by the second half I was hooked. Looking forward to part II now.

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2018 6:45 AM

I wanna watch this but Anya Taylor Joy's face is so weird looking.

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2018 6:54 AM

I hate that kind of British accent. (The protagonist woman who's speaking over the trailer.)

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2018 7:13 AM

[quote]r5 This was on PBS tonight. Did anyone see it? Part I ended with a blow job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2018 7:49 AM

It's a very lush production. I'm fascinated by the miniatures. What was the deal with the sister's secret room?

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2018 10:37 AM

Romola Garai! Cool.

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2018 11:04 AM

I watched it as well R5, like R6 I thought that Johannes and his sister were either secretly married and not related at all, or having incest until the part when Nella asks him why after having lived there for 11 days he never has had sex with her or does not kiss her or like her attempting to seduce him and pushes her away.

I have not read the novel it is based on.

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2018 11:30 AM

R9, NOBODY can scowl like Olivia.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2018 11:34 AM

Information about the real doll house the novel/series is based on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2018 11:35 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2018 3:47 PM

Alex Hassell is major big dick face and huge sack face. He's odd sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2018 6:59 PM

Romola Garai as Marin Brandt is FUCKING EVERYTHING!!!!! GREAT ACTING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2018 7:00 PM

Anya Taylor-Joy as Petronella Brandt is kind of hypnotizing. She's really great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2018 7:02 PM

She was also good in The Witch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2018 9:27 PM

I love Anya Taylor-Joy's looks.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2018 3:23 AM

I watched last night's episode, how many more are left? Only one? Or is it an entire season?

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2018 10:51 AM

boring as figs!

whomever at pbs okd this mess should be fired and fried...

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2018 11:03 AM

Romola Garai is WAYYYY over the top. It’s one of the campiest performances on PBS in awhile. Not sure I want to stick with a show where a gay man gets drowned at the end. Not sure why PBS is airing this? It doesn’t really seem up their alley.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2018 2:45 PM

Figs aren't boring. They're delicious. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2018 2:49 PM

There are three episodes. It's an odd story. I'm enjoying the sets and costumes, the friendship between husband and wife and the mysterious miniaturist. I'm looking forward to learning about that person. I'll definitely watch the last episode next week. It makes me curious about 17th century Amsterdam. It certainly wasn't the open place it is now.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2018 5:43 PM

The cast of "The Miniaturist" share their experiences filming the show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2018 6:26 PM

Okay, so who fathered the sister-in-law's baby? Was she doing the deed with Otto? If so, the girl's in T-R-O-U-B-L-E... and she's got a taste for some very dark meat. It's not the brother of the creepy sister, is it? You know, the two who are waiting for their sugar to be sold? I swear he's sleeping with his sister.

I've watched both episodes and find it boring and fascinating at the same time; glad that next week is the final episode. i really don't think I could commit to more that three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2018 6:35 PM

R23 that's what makes it amusing in some ways, especially when in the second episode Romola Garai said to her brother's male lover, "You mean NOTHING to him!!!".

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2018 6:46 PM

R25 Amsterdam is not reflective of the entire country of the Netherlands, or Dutch people. Most Dutch people really dislike the tourists who go to the Netherlands or Amsterdam just to smoke weed, fuck hookers, and how the red light district in Amsterdam is full of trafficked women and girls with Muslim pimps. Also, Dutch people are tolerant of people of other cultures and religions but there's a lot of Anti-Semitism there and they do not trust or like immigrants or migrants despite how the government allows lots of them to live in the Netherlands.

In the 17th Century there were religious conflicts in what are now the Netherlands. You also had very extreme Mennonites as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2018 10:37 AM

[quote] Romola Garai as Marin Brandt is FUCKING EVERYTHING!!!!! GREAT ACTING!

I’m sure that you are quite proud of your daughter, Mrs Garai

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2018 9:18 PM

Just finished watching the first two episodes online (pbs.org) and it's very good. Not sure why it hasn't been embraced more on DL.

I have no sexual interest in women but have a strong urge to lick Anya Taylor-Joy's face, not in a sexual way but it is so smooth and creamy. Have the feeling it would be like slurping a Tasty-Freeze.

by Anonymousreply 31September 23, 2018 8:54 PM

I've been watching this on masterpiece theater

Felt sorry for the gay husband

by Anonymousreply 32September 24, 2018 2:45 AM

That was a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 33September 24, 2018 2:46 AM

I love the vivid cinematography of Amsterdam. Makes me feel like I’m there. And Anya Taylor Joys face is mesmerizing. Half Argentinian apparently. Stunning, The pseudo-witch thing is a ridiculous distraction but the scenery and costumes are stunningly beautiful. Thank God they killed the worst actors. I’ll keep watching to see where it goes.

by Anonymousreply 34September 24, 2018 3:04 AM

Excellent production. I was mesmerized. I know it's make believe but I can't help but fantasize what will happen to the little family next. I imagine Nella will take good care of everyone, maybe even bring some of her own siblings into the household. She'll work hard and prosper while living a very private life.

by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2018 5:43 AM

loved it!

by Anonymousreply 36September 24, 2018 6:12 AM

What did I miss? Why did the blond woman (The Miniaturist) send Nella all of those items? What was the point? I just don't get it.

I was really surprised that Marin died... not surprised that Otto was the baby's father, but Marin's death? Wow... did not see that coming.

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2018 1:19 PM

Will I need to use binoculars to watch this?

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2018 2:01 PM

Tee hee, no.

by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2018 2:13 PM

Apparently the series is now over, but there may be a sequel according to the link below which contains spoilers if you have not watched any of the episodes yet. I liked the series but it was very predictable in a lot of ways.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2018 2:16 PM

[quote]I love the vivid cinematography of Amsterdam. Makes me feel like I’m there.

It was actually shot on location in the city of Leiden, not Amsterdam

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2018 2:38 PM

Love the costumes

by Anonymousreply 42September 24, 2018 4:05 PM

Didn’t know that R41. Will have to visit next trip.

So many scenes - especially with Anya - reminded me of George’s de la Tour candle painting. Very specific lighting fading into pitch black edges. Beautiful

by Anonymousreply 43September 24, 2018 4:09 PM

I have always really like Romola Garai and do not understand why she is not more well known.

by Anonymousreply 44September 24, 2018 4:29 PM

r44, she's one of the women who spoke out against Weinstein - maybe not putting out on the casting couch hurt her

by Anonymousreply 45September 24, 2018 6:28 PM

R37, Apparently the Miniaturist made miniatures for many women, not just Nella (witness the many pleading letters that Nella found in the workshop). She claimed to have the ability to predict the future by observing people's behavior, sort of a second sight gained by paying attention. Nella wasn't the only woman getting the strange pieces but it seems she was the only woman who followed her and questioned her.

Wealthy women of that time kept doll houses for entertainment. The story is based on a dollhouse that's in a museum in Amsterdam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 27, 2018 5:30 AM

worst piece of crap pbs has made

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 47September 27, 2018 12:13 PM

Really like Romola Garai too. Here's an article for R44

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 27, 2018 12:17 PM

Glad she spoke out, and glad she's doing more interesting stuff than the shit he wanted to promote.

by Anonymousreply 49September 27, 2018 12:18 PM

[quote]worst piece of crap PBS has made

I'm not familiar with PBS but it was made by the BBC

by Anonymousreply 50September 27, 2018 12:22 PM

r50 - I love it when American's call the Jennifer Ehle Pride and Prejudice the A&E production, or call those old BBC Shakespeares from the 70s and 80s Masterpiece Theater productions.

by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2018 10:01 PM

R41 Leiden is a great city! I have ancestors from there and it's a great typical Dutch university city/town.

by Anonymousreply 52October 7, 2018 6:57 PM

I'm reading the book now. I enjoyed the PBS series a lot but like the detail and back stories in the book even more.

by Anonymousreply 53October 8, 2018 4:08 AM

It was impossible to record this on my DVR. And I can't seem to find any rebroadcasts. Why is PBS fucking this up so badly?

by Anonymousreply 54October 8, 2018 4:20 AM

R54 do you have verizon, their on demand feature has recently saved programs? I saw it rebroadcast locally but I have multiple PBS stations where I live.

by Anonymousreply 55October 8, 2018 5:08 PM

[quote] - I love it when American's call the Jennifer Ehle Pride and Prejudice the A&E production, or call those old BBC Shakespeares from the 70s and 80s Masterpiece Theater productions.

I love it when Brits put apostrophes inaccurately in plural forms.

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2018 5:00 AM

You bumped an old thread just to say that?

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2018 4:21 PM

[quote]r46 Apparently the Miniaturist claimed to have the ability to predict the future by observing people's behavior, sort of a second sight gained by paying attention.

Witch.

[italic]WITCH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2018 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!