Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The C#ntishness of Lauren Bacall

I have it on good authority that the 2006 novel PIECE OF WORK, about an overwhelmed publicity person traveling with a demanding diva, is based on Lauren Bacall. The author did the same job when she was promoting one of the actress' books.

The character comes off so badly in the book....really psychotically demanding and high handed.

Did anyone have encounters with Lauren Bacall? Was she really a nightmare? (I heard that she was a really foul-mouthed drunk when she was married to Jason Robarts, by someone who did a play with him back then. But that's it.) Oh yes, I also read that when Raquel Welch took over her star dressing room as the replacement in WOMAN OF THE YEAR....Bacall stripped it down to the bare bones as her final act. (Bacall later said she thought Welch would want to redecorate it herself.) (Which I guess arguably makes a bit of sense,,,)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399March 14, 2018 3:17 AM

I saw her on West 44th Street getting out of a hired car when attending a performance of "The History Boys" some years back. Bacall immediately started in on the driver "Don't be late picking me up after the show like you were earlier!" The driver gave it right back, "I wasn't late! You didn't show up where you said! You were around the corner and I didn't see you. I was ON TIME!" Bacall: "Now you weren't! Blah, blah, blah..."

She was so engaged and nasty as this petty public squabble predictably wore on, right on the sidewalk where anyone like me could just stand there and watch the show! She seemed like a total cunt, and at her age a bit out of it, but the mouth was still yapping in a nasty manner.

by Anonymousreply 1December 27, 2017 3:10 AM

She should have used Uber.

by Anonymousreply 2December 27, 2017 3:14 AM

Perhaps the driver didn't have her favorite beverage in the back seat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 27, 2017 3:37 AM

Or perhaps, R3, she was upset they weren’t going to her favorite store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 27, 2017 3:39 AM

I remember when she lost the best supporting actress award to Juliette Binoche. She was not amused when Juliette called her name during the acceptance speech. Total bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5December 27, 2017 4:00 AM

I remember hearing during the 1999 TV movie about Doris Duke. Bacall slapped co star Mare Winningham across the face for forgetting her line filming a scene. They filmed it in Hawaii, and she didn't make may friends on the island while she was here.

by Anonymousreply 6December 27, 2017 4:12 AM

Story I heard...

Bacall was backstage at some old theatre. She was seated in a chair and chain smoking. The backstage manager noticed her smoking and walked over to tell her smoking wasn’t allowed in the old building. Bacall looked up at him, said “that’s nice” took a puff and blew it in his face.

by Anonymousreply 7December 27, 2017 4:13 AM

In the book about the iconic Blackglama Mink campaign that ran for decades, the creative director talks about her being their first photo subject.

First she criticized the car ("Is this any way to pick up a legend?") then started renegotiating the deal on the way to the studio where Richard Avedon and his crew was set up and waiting. She said they could just turn around if the new terms weren't agreeable.

Rather unprofessional...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 27, 2017 4:14 AM

Cunt and a whore.

When Bogie was sick she was getting sodomized and fucked by Sinatra, Bogie's best friend, often when Bogie was bedridden and unable to stay awake for more than a few hours at a time and she and Sinatra would be in a guest room at their house on Mapleton drive in Holmby Hills. If not, she would have the nurse watch Bogie and she would go see Frank IN VEGAS for a night. She genuinely thought she was going to marry Sinatra the day after Bogart died and Sinatra had zero intention of every marrying her. Hell, he had no intention of even being in a relationship with her.

by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2017 4:21 AM

Ask ANYONE who worked in the business offices of Broadway for the past 50 years. They will tell you that Bacall was the worst. Vicious. Mean. Gratuitous. Petty. Ceaselessly demanding. Nothing was too small not to complain about it. Ask anyone who lived at the Dakota while she was there. Ask about the co-op meetings. Ask any sales person in any high end store in Manhattan. She was horrible. A horrible person.

Everyone has a bad day. Everyone successful in show biz eventually has to lay down a boundary and enforce it. That's not Bacall. She was a hateful woman and a mean drunk.

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2017 4:48 AM

[quote] Ask about the co-op meetings.

I read on DL that confrontations between Yoko Ono and her often ended in spitting matches.

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2017 4:51 AM

Makes me like her even more.

by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2017 4:54 AM

[quote]R11 I read on DL that confrontations between Yoko Ono and [Bacall] often ended in spitting matches.

Maybe this will be a riveting 2 person play some day...

by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2017 4:55 AM

[quote]R12 Makes me like her even more.

Why on earth?

She sounds rancid.

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2017 4:56 AM

Her hairsylist finally quit on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2017 4:59 AM

She was the poor man's Lizabeth Scott.

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2017 4:59 AM

Was she a cunt to bogart before he got sick?

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2017 5:48 AM

I have NEVER heard anyone praise Bacall for generosity, kindness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2017 5:52 AM

R5 Up to that time, it was one of the most shocking losses in Oscar History. Bacall was considered the one lock in any category that year. Many thought it was some kind of backlash against Streisand, but then multiple stories came out about how cunty Bacall had been to so many people in Hollywood over the years. In one interview with an anonymous Oscar voter, she said, "No way was I gonna vote for that cunt!".

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2017 6:25 AM

Some time ago on DL, I wrote about the time she and Roddy McDowall came to the video store I worked at in Studio City, and while regular customer Roddy was his usual friendly self, she was a cantankerous old c*nt who kept barking orders and being ornery. When they left, Roddy apologized profusely for his friend's bad behavior.

Years later, I worked for a PR agency that handled Ms. Bacall's publicity, and whenever she'd call, there were never any greetings or exchange of pleasantries from her, just a "It's Bacall. Is so-and-so there? Have him call me. I'll be in my dressing room for the next four minutes." Click.

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2017 6:28 AM

Although she seemingly began to age and harden IMMEDIATELY upon hitting Hollywood, she started out as one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

She did once write that marrying Bogart did spoil her in a sense, as far as how she looked at homes, etc. She immediately had housekeepers, a gardener, a chef, a large estate, etc. And a husband twice her age who doted on her, Maybe that f-ed up her personality? (Although, there's also been millions of other people handed those things who didn't end up loathsome.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2017 7:02 AM

Anyone can look beautiful in a glamour shot. I think most of the time she looked very ordinary and not particularly attractive. Her beauty pales next to the majority of Classic Hollywood leading ladies.

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2017 7:20 AM

There's a reason why she didn't win the Oscar for The Mirror Has Two Faces, and it had nothing to do with the strength of Binoche's performance or the mediocrity of her own (plenty of mediocre performances have won Oscars).

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2017 7:33 AM

Who was worse in their prime — Bacall or Dunaway?

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2017 7:37 AM

I thought she and Bogart were this great love story.

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2017 7:42 AM

R21, I've thought the same about how quickly she got sort of stringy. She was gorgeous in Big Sleep, and very good. By 30, she was hard.

I have a friend who was an understudy in Waiting in the Wings, in about 2000. She was not a Bacall fan. Apparently Bacall would berate the director in front of people. Since she was the name, he had to take it. However, one time my friend complimented her on some bit of business, and she was rather touchingly grateful. My friend liked Rosemary Harris. I think people who are really secure about who they are don't have be bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2017 8:14 AM

LOL r7! Now we know that Lauren and ourself would have gotten along famously!

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2017 8:27 AM

Betty claimed to be fired from a modeling job when she as just starting out...because they discovered she was Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2017 8:50 AM

R28 Did they see her naked and notice she didn't have foreskin?

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2017 4:30 PM

Her voice was heavenly. It had the same effect on me as a glass of wine.

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2017 5:06 PM

[quote]Betty claimed

One of my favorite things: When posters on DL refer to celebrities they have never met by the name the celebrity only asked their friends to call them.

You know, like the poster was friends with them. It's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2017 5:20 PM

Permanent resting bitch face

by Anonymousreply 32December 27, 2017 5:29 PM

[quote]Permanent resting bitch face

Permanent resting-in-peace bitch face

by Anonymousreply 33December 27, 2017 5:32 PM

Do you know how many pins that bitch poked me with? When she came at me with the scissors I kicked her in the cunt. We laughed about it later at Ciro's. Good times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 27, 2017 5:42 PM

Lots of those old Hollywood people must have enjoyed that episode of The Sopranos where she was punched by Christopher.

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2017 5:59 PM

"In the final extract from her autobiography, Lauren Bacall recalls how the excitement of a challenging role was followed by huge disappointment." (The entire excerpt is at the link.)

I remember especially impressed with the scene between mother (Bacall) and daughter (Streisand) in the kitchen in the unflattering, harsh morning light. Streisand has a great eye for the finest detail and I hope she directs more before her time is up. Her portrait of the mother was, I thought, the strongest part of the movie: The character came across as selfish, loving, exasperated, funny, self-absorbed, beautiful and demanding.

Bacall's recollections of making the movie are fairly brief, but very interesting. She seems to agree that Streisand was a very hard-working and dedicated director.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 27, 2017 6:07 PM

[quote]The backstage manager noticed her smoking and walked over to tell her smoking wasn’t allowed in the old building. Bacall looked up at him, said “that’s nice” took a puff and blew it in his face.

He should have returned with a fire extinguisher and blasted it in her mean ugly face.

by Anonymousreply 37December 27, 2017 6:14 PM

She was an absolutely notorious bitch towards Marilyn Monroe when they were filming How to Marry a Millionaire. Apparently she considered Marilyn far beneath her.

Betty Grable, on the other hand, was apparently friendly and relaxed on the set.

by Anonymousreply 38December 27, 2017 6:20 PM

r36 interesting how she still had to audition for the Mirror Has Two Faces. And so Bacall to throw in that to play Barbra's mother, she had to have been "a teenage mother".

by Anonymousreply 39December 27, 2017 6:35 PM

She was only attractive when she was very young and for a short period of time. Bogart screwed around on her, though she never would have admitted it and ruined their "love story". He had a long time mistress, a makeup woman, I think, that predated her and kept on during the marriage. I read in a book, Kitty Kelley's on Frank, that the group all knew toward the end of Bogart's life when he was really sick that Lauren and Frank were fucking and that you could see in Bogart's eyes when he watched them together that he knew it too.

by Anonymousreply 40December 27, 2017 6:39 PM

It's not like Bogart had the right to demand or expect fidelity from anyone else, as he was never loyal to any of his partners.

by Anonymousreply 41December 27, 2017 6:42 PM

If he was fucking around on her, R40, then he shouldn't have cared that she was fucking Frank.

by Anonymousreply 42December 27, 2017 6:42 PM

[quote]R38 She was an absolutely notorious bitch towards Marilyn Monroe when they were filming How to Marry a Millionaire. Apparently she considered Marilyn far beneath her.

I like how Bacall's saying something to MM at the premiere, and she's like, "Oooh, FLASHBULBS! Bye, Felicia!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 27, 2017 6:47 PM

Why was she such a cunt? She had a charmed life and she was very lucky. She had millions of dollars, a fabled career, and her children were good to her. Hell, they didn’t even write a “Mommy Dearest” book about her. She should have been grateful and gracious. I’m convinced that abysmal behavior towards others, lost her that Oscar for “A Mirror has Two Faces”.

by Anonymousreply 44December 27, 2017 7:04 PM

From the linked article:

[quote]I was finally called back to the living room. I'll never forget the setting. Barbra and Cis were seated on a small sofa, Barbra pointing out some of her beautiful and valuable antiques. She said: "You were very good. We'll be in touch."

It is utterly HYSTERICAL that Babs has a performer in front of her on edge about a job, and she then choses to start pointing out all the fine antiques she owns in the room!!! (Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but that's how I'm seeing it...!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 27, 2017 7:12 PM

[quote]The first award - wouldn't you know - was best supporting actress. Kevin Spacey came out with the envelope in his hand, announced the nominees, looked at me and smiled, opened the envelope - "And the winner is …" He was so sure - my heart was pounding so loud, I thought I would faint, Steve was squeezing my hand - his voice dropped. "The winner is... Juliette Binoche, The English Patient." Harvey Weinstein had done it again.

That is so ungracious, to imply that you lost ONLY because Weinstein got the award for someone less deserving. Even if it were true, it's tacky to say that.

by Anonymousreply 46December 27, 2017 7:14 PM

[quote]R44 Why was she such a cunt? She had a charmed life and she was very lucky. She had millions of dollars, a fabled career, and her children were good to her. Hell, they didn’t even write a “Mommy Dearest” book about her.

NO idea what makes someone so freakish! But in the novel I first referenced, the character based on Bacall is basically mentally ill. I don't remember if it's a narcicistic disorder or what, but there's something missing from their brains that would make them relate to others in a normal way.

They're basically damaged goods.

by Anonymousreply 47December 27, 2017 7:19 PM

R46 The Oscar loss was truly humiliating for her as she utterly believed she would win. She had a sense of entitlement about it.

by Anonymousreply 48December 27, 2017 7:25 PM

I love how she name drops Weinstein, Spacey and Kirk Douglas in the chapter from her bio quoted above. How times change!

by Anonymousreply 49December 27, 2017 7:27 PM

[quote] How times change!

They do?

by Anonymousreply 50December 27, 2017 7:29 PM

r46 and r48 exactly. Juliette Binoche wasn't exactly some random win. Binoche was very well liked at the time if I'm not mistaken. She had given acclaimed performances in The Unbearable Lightness of Being and Damage leading up to her performance in The English Patient.

Weinstein probably did campaign heavily for the film in general. As for Binoche winning, I think it was because of her performance and because they wanted to stick it to Bacall. Bacall's nomination was her win.

by Anonymousreply 51December 27, 2017 7:30 PM

[quote]R46 That is so ungracious, to imply that you lost ONLY because Weinstein got the award for someone less deserving. Even if it were true, it's tacky to say that.

The lady's first problem is she seems to be "lacking a filter," as they say. What makes it even WORSE is, that quote is from a book she wrote, that she presumably edited many times! It's not like something that just slipped out and got misinterpreted.

Also, it's not like Bacall's part in [italic] The Mirror Has Two Filters [/italic] ....(sorry, FACES)....is even that amazing. She's fine and professional doing it, but it's not like this is some stellar part that requires great acting. And Babs made it that way.

'Cuz the only star that comes out of a Babs Streisand show is Babs Streisand, and that's HER, baby, remember?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 27, 2017 7:35 PM

Who's Harvey Weinstein?

by Anonymousreply 53December 27, 2017 7:35 PM

R22 Anyone can look beautiful in a glamour shot. I think most of the time she looked very ordinary and not particularly attractive. Her beauty pales next to the majority of Classic Hollywood leading ladies.

Well, it depends what your tastes are. She was a fantastic model before she went to Hollywood. She was truly timeless. (Also just 18 or 19, which helps.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 27, 2017 7:49 PM

Juliette Binoche won the Oscar, the BAFTA, the National Board of Review, the Berlin Silver Bear, etc., for her performance in The English Patient. I think these were well-deserved wins. She laughed, she cried, she romanced; her character's story was a big chunk of that movie. Bacall was her supercilious self in TMHTF, only with humor. Not much of an acting stretch.

by Anonymousreply 55December 27, 2017 7:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 27, 2017 7:51 PM

I can't stand barking, rude people. They are crude idiots and they certainly are not interesting or attractive.

by Anonymousreply 57December 27, 2017 7:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 27, 2017 7:54 PM

How it really went down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 27, 2017 7:55 PM

Everyone seemed genuinely surprised.

Binoche was so cute.

They could have given it to Baptiste - less angst down the Oscar road!

Barbara Seagull made a funny face. I wonder if that was Free beside her.

by Anonymousreply 60December 27, 2017 8:00 PM

Mentor Howard Hawkes originally liked Bacall because she reminded him of his wife Slim Keith (pictured below), who had also been a fashion model. The two were very similar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 27, 2017 8:02 PM

[quote]R55 I think these were well-deserved wins [for Binoche]. She laughed, she cried, she romanced; her character's story was a big chunk of that movie.

I'm not in favor of Bacall winning AT ALL, but Binoche was really playing a leading role in her film. So there's many more scenes to do, a bigger character arc, more of a chance to really deliver a fully rounded performance.

With a supporting role, you're traditionally more on and then off. So I do get ticked when they bump leading performers down into the supporting catagory. It really improves their chances, because there's just more there to appreciate and vote for.

On the other hand, sometimes a performer like Beatrice Straight (NETWORK) get an Oscar for just one brief scene, which is a little crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 27, 2017 8:19 PM

[quote]Jesus, my fucking arm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 27, 2017 8:24 PM

R59 That clip shows that Bacall is so full of shit. Spacey did not repeat himself -- as if to recover from the shock of her not winning.

by Anonymousreply 64December 27, 2017 8:42 PM

She always had such a hard look about her.

by Anonymousreply 65December 27, 2017 8:44 PM

[quote] reminded him of his wife Slim Keith

Fat!

by Anonymousreply 66December 27, 2017 9:02 PM

My cousin knew Jason Robards well. In the years after his divorce from Bacall Robards related incidents with her that illustrated what a stone cold bitch she could be. He was working on his sobriety at that point, taking honest responsibility for his own shitty behavior during the marriage, so he wasn't sharing stories to be vindictive. He was simply telling what their interactions were, If I recall correctly, mostly concerning their son.

by Anonymousreply 67December 27, 2017 9:08 PM

Juliette should have really thrown shade and called her Betty instead of Lauren.

by Anonymousreply 68December 27, 2017 9:28 PM

She helped to bust up Shelley Winters and Tony Fransciosa. CUNT...and she was so awful in her early films.

by Anonymousreply 69December 27, 2017 9:28 PM

In the seventies and eighties she was the Terror of the Upper West Side...terrible behavior in every store and restaurant. Same thing at Kennedy Airport...

by Anonymousreply 70December 27, 2017 9:29 PM

She used to come to this very high end and beautiful men’s store c. 1980. I took care of her. We got to know our customers- I had her home phone- she’d call for things she wanted etc, bitch about her account (bills) etc. After I got over how unlike her elegant image she was (she was crude, potty mouthed, demanding, loud and not at all chic like most of our wealthy female customers). But she was really quite normal in that she was like a few people I have known- chip on her shoulder even though life gave her a great hand. Always complaining and pushing for more- for her- but when you stood up to her she backed down like an insecure child. I kind of felt sorry for her- a little.

by Anonymousreply 71December 27, 2017 9:31 PM

Why the hash sign in “cuntiness”, OP?

by Anonymousreply 72December 27, 2017 9:31 PM

[quote]R70 the Terror of the Upper West Side..

This should be the title of a TV movie about her final years....!

Maybe starring Kathleen Turner?

by Anonymousreply 73December 27, 2017 9:31 PM

[quote]I read on DL that confrontations between Yoko Ono and her often ended in spitting matches.

Go on....

by Anonymousreply 74December 27, 2017 9:34 PM

[quote]R72 Why the hash sign in “cuntiness”, OP?

I just always feel uncomfortable speaking that way. I don't curse a lot. It just doesn't feel like me.

I guess inside I'm a f-ing LADY ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 27, 2017 9:35 PM

You’re not speaking, OP/R75.

by Anonymousreply 76December 27, 2017 9:37 PM

[quote]R76 You’re not speaking, OP

I try to express myself in writing as I do speaking. The written word is an extension of the inner voice.

I do curse sometimes...just not usually.

by Anonymousreply 77December 27, 2017 9:44 PM

R69, Tony and Shelley didn't need help bustin' up. Their marriage was one for the minutes.

by Anonymousreply 78December 27, 2017 9:46 PM

When Raquel Welch filled in as Bacall's vacation replacement in 1981, her reviews were so good that Bacall cut her vacation short and returned to the show earlier than planned.

by Anonymousreply 79December 27, 2017 9:53 PM

[quote]R69 She helped to bust up Shelley Winters and Tony Fransciosa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Meeting No. 2: Tavern on the Green Restaurant in Central Park, New York, where a tribute to director George Cukor had drawn most of the movie stars of the known world.

Lauren Bacall, who is leaving, is asked to pose for a picture with Winters.

Shelley: “You bet … you can get a picture, boys. Betty, get over here. You need publicity. I see a lot of Humphrey Bogart festivals around, but I don’t see many Betty Bacalls.”

Lauren Bacall (aka Betty): “I’m sorry, Shelley, but I really don’t have the time. I’m leaving for Florida tomorrow to make a picture with Robert Altman.”

Shelley: “Hey, everybody. Betty got work! We should all celebrate.”

Lauren Bacall: “If it’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s a drunk woman. I’ll match you flop for flop, you (expletive deleted, and then more deleted).”

Bacall left as Winters waved her goodbye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 27, 2017 9:55 PM

[quote]R69 She helped to bust up Shelley Winters and Tony Fransciosa.

Right. Supposedly, during the affair, Bacall called up Winters and complained, "I've been waiting for Tony for an hour. Where the hell is he?"

Shelley said, "You're complaining to me because my husband is late for a date with you?"

Bacall answered, "If your husband doesn't respect your marriage, why should I?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 27, 2017 10:04 PM

Never got Bacall’s attraction. Even when she was young she had such hard, sharp features, like Basil Rathbone or Vincent Price in a wig.

by Anonymousreply 82December 27, 2017 10:14 PM

Supporting is not measured by on screen time. It has to so with your role in relation to the lead actors. Binoche was very much a supporting actress and was in the correct category.

by Anonymousreply 83December 27, 2017 10:18 PM

[quote]R82 Never got Bacall’s attraction. Even when she was young she had such hard, sharp features, like Basil Rathbone or Vincent Price in a wig.

Well, she had a definite, specific style. It's not for everyone, but i think her early look was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 27, 2017 10:26 PM

[quote]Why was she such a cunt?

Many Jewish people of that generation (and even later) have huge chips on their shoulders and when they get some power they become nightmarish. Look at everything being revealed now about sexual harassment in the arts and film and broadcasting. They’re almost all Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 85December 27, 2017 10:35 PM

I’ll give it to you r84 that she looks gorgeous in that picture. She must have hit the wall very, very young though.

by Anonymousreply 86December 27, 2017 10:36 PM

R28

She talks about it here at the 03:27 mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 27, 2017 10:39 PM

English Patient is one of the worst Best Picture winners of all time. Who the fuck even remembers it today? They should all thank their lucky stars that Titanic came out and obscured that shlockfest. Otherwise, it would still be a running joke. No one deserved an Oscar for that. Binoche was clearly embarrassed when she won.

As for Bacall acting entitled, unlike the winners of today, I don't recall her doing any publicity for the award, or even for the movie. Frowning because you lost is ten times better than pretending you're happy.

by Anonymousreply 88December 27, 2017 10:44 PM

[quote]R86 I’ll give it to you [R84] that she looks gorgeous in that picture. She must have hit the wall very, very young though.

She was naturally angular and wiry and blunt looking, which is softened simply by youth (blooming skin, bursting hormones, etc.) She was 19 when she made her first film. But that look doesn't always age well...there's no padding to add gentleness around the edges. Also, I think she started drinking early to keep up with party-heart Bogart, and that doesn't help anyone's looks.

But I really do think she looked utterly fab early on. Sadly, it was kind of fleeting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 27, 2017 10:48 PM

Re: R89

I meant party-HARDY, not party-heart!

by Anonymousreply 90December 27, 2017 10:50 PM

I always thought she was overrated.

by Anonymousreply 91December 27, 2017 10:52 PM

The English Patient was a crappy movie, but she was very cute and charming in The Unbearable Lightness of Being .

by Anonymousreply 92December 27, 2017 10:52 PM

I was going to say, and the link at R87, backs it up, Bacall was a child of divorce in an age when divorce was a big scandal. She was also the only child and was raised by an independent mother and grandmother who doted on her. The divorce and the absent father probably screwed her up emotionally. The only child syndrome, combined with being raised by a single mother probably gave her a sense of entitlement and bossy aggressiveness that a dominant father figure would have curtailed.

by Anonymousreply 93December 27, 2017 11:00 PM

[quote]R91 Ava Gardner's ghost

Probably the most beautiful woman of her generation...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 27, 2017 11:00 PM

Bacall was a bitch...I still love her voice, especially her older voice, as in R87's clip.

R9, you're such an sexist asshole. Sinatra was a womanizer, Bogart was no angel, yet Bacall is the one you pick on. Wife/husband cheating on dying spouse is a very old and expected story. It'll happen to you too.

by Anonymousreply 95December 27, 2017 11:01 PM

If nothing else, I give her credit for wearing a simple suit to her wedding.

When you compare it to the crap a lot of brides pick today, WELL...!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 27, 2017 11:14 PM

R95, I think it's perfectly understandable to cheat on a dying spouse, and not reprehensible, as long as you're there emotionally. In the midst of death, you need some affirmation of life.

R94, I think that's from,Showboat. There is viewable on youtube a version, not dubbed, of her singing,That Man of Mine. She had a good voice, and in combination with her beauty, the scene is intoxicating.

R89, you sum it up well. That shot of her on the beach reminds me that I've sometimes seen a resemblance to Franc,oise Dorle'ac, sister of Catherine Deneuve. She died at 27 in a car accident.

by Anonymousreply 97December 27, 2017 11:21 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 27, 2017 11:28 PM

----------------------

Lauren Bacall: The souring of a Hollywood legend (FROM THE INDEPENDENT, 2004)

----------------------

These days, alas, "The Look" is better known for her huffs and her hissy fits. And at Venice, recently, Miss Lauren Bacall did one of her worst numbers. She was there at the film festival for the premiere of Birth, along with Nicole Kidman, whose mother she plays in that film. Mother to the lead is not the lead, and some actresses close to 80 (her 80th birthday is next Thursday) would have been grateful for being there, and having work. And the question was innocent enough.

A journalist asked Bacall, "And now you've worked alongside another screen legend, Nicole Kidman ..." only to be interrupted by that voice which critic James Agee once likened to a trombone: "She's not a legend. She's a beginner ... She can't be a legend. You have to be older."

The real sadness of that soured ego is that 60 years after her own debut, she still doesn't get it. In 1944, for a season, Lauren Bacall was a legend on the strength of a few lines and several smouldering glances in one film, To Have and Have Not. She pushed the effect through by playing that girl's slightly older sister in The Big Sleep (1946), and by then she had pulled off the greatest trick in the whole legend business: she had won her co-star (so much older, wiser and sadder), Humphrey Bogart, as lover and husband. I call it a trick, but not because I doubt the feelings of infatuation that ran both ways. I mean trick as in magic, for there never would be a purer case of life taking its example from the screen.

If she had only ever made those two films, her 80th birthday would be being honoured now, and somewhere in the world her two pictures would be playing, just as James Dean's three hold their place. Of course, Dean's legend was enormously assisted by sudden, unfair termination. Bacall's, I fear, has survived, or endured her later work. If only she was a quarter the actress we have seen so far in Nicole Kidman. And if only she could be nice and polite sometimes. But I suppose she got the idea early that insolence might be her thing.

That was how Howard Hawks proposed her to Bogart in advance of To Have and Have Not. He told the hard-boiled actor (just coming off Casablanca), "We are going to try an interesting thing. You are about the most insolent man on the screen and I'm going to make a girl a little more insolent than you are."

Fat chance, said Bogart. But Hawks told him he was going to plan every scene so that the girl put the hook into Bogart, gave him a look and then walked out on him. That's the entire ethos of that sublime and ridiculous moment when Bacall, playing a profoundly motherless and precocious femme fatale on the island of Martinique, flirts with Bogart, tells him he only has to whistle if he wants her, gives him a parting grin that would have been cut if the censors had had enough sexual experience, and says, "You do know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow." It was an exit line, but Lauren Bacall walked into history and into her tough co-star's soft heart. Where had she come from? What poker game on the outskirts of hell had had her as the prize money? How was any 19-year-old so knowing? The answer to her whole life, I think, was that she wasn't knowing.

The knowledge that shone out of her greedy eyes, the promise of unimaginable delights, was all in the mind of Howard Hawks, who effectively owned her at the time, and had serious intentions about being on the receiving end of her seductive aura.

------------------------

(CONTINUED)

(CONTINUED)

by Anonymousreply 99December 27, 2017 11:36 PM

----------------------

Lauren Bacall: The souring of a Hollywood legend (FROM THE INDEPENDENT, 2004) CONTINUED

----------------------

Betty Joan Perske was born in the Bronx in 1924. She was Jewish. Her father, William Perske, was Polish, with some French. Her mother, Natalie Weinstein-Bacal, was German and Romanian. The Bacal was dropped by the immigration authorities, but Natalie reinstated it when she and William divorced, and when she and Betty moved from Brooklyn to Manhattan.

It was a strict, modest upbringing. "You had it drummed into your head from childhood by your mother, grandmother, uncles, that nice Jewish girls didn't smoke - weren't fast - nice Jewish girls had character. 'Don't chase a boy, ever - if he wants to see you, he'll call; if not, forget him.' But what were you to do if your head was filled with dreams of beauty, glamour, romance, accomplishment, and if you were stuck with being tall, ungainly (I didn't know I was 'colt-like' until a critic said I was), with big feet, flat-chested - too young to have finished high school at 15."

I don't think Betty Bacal ever quite qualified as beautiful. But she had the kind of looks that men notice and remember. Her mother paid for her to go to the Julia Richman High School, and then the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. That's where she met and dated the young Kirk Douglas (eight years her senior), and it's how she got some modelling offers. In 1943, thanks to the decision of editor Diana Vreeland, she made it on to the cover of Harper's Bazaar.

There is an extraordinary photograph in which Bacall is leaning against the outside door of a Red Cross blood donor room. She wears a chic suit, gloves, a cloche hat with long waves of hair falling from it. I suppose it's a picture that says: even society women are giving blood for our boys. But there's a fascinating subtext, coming from the film noir style and the look on Betty's very hard, hardly 19 face, which says: "Watch out at the Blood Donor office - They have sultry vampires waiting there." One suck and our boys are men.

Cut to Hollywood where Nancy "Slim" Hawks, herself a famous fashion plate, the wife of Howard Hawks, is looking through the new magazines. She sees the cover, hands it to Howard, and with more generosity than common sense, perhaps, says, "Take a look at her." Howard got the point straightaway. Within a matter of days he had Betty under personal service contract. He thought of the new name "Lauren" and he asked her to test for To Have and Have Not.

Was it as simple as that? Hardly. Hawks and his wife schooled the kid in what clothes to wear, and Hawks even asked Betty to study the way Slim talked, and try copying it. The girl is actually called "Slim" in To Have and Have Not - and the Bogart character, Harry Morgan to others, is called "Steve" by "Slim" (the names Howard and Nancy kept for each other).

So it was the portrait of a fond marriage? Not quite, because Howard was undoubtedly determined to lay Betty, and while Betty may never have encouraged that thought, she did not discourage it either. This was her big break. Hawks got her to deepen her voice (he sent her up to Mulholland Drive at night to recite poetry until she became hoarse), and he did everything a director can do to make her act like his dream: very young, yet very worldly, utterly free but sweetly obedient.

I spell it out like that because I'm not sure that Lauren Bacall ever liked or even understood the Svengali act. The years have suggested that she was never as loose, cool, hip or natural as Slim in that film or as Vivian Rutledge in The Big Sleep. But in those two pictures, she has Hawks guiding her and Bogart teasing her along (plus a genius named Jules Furthman doing a lot of the dialogue).

---------------- CONTINUED

by Anonymousreply 100December 27, 2017 11:38 PM

----------------------

Lauren Bacall: The souring of a Hollywood legend (FROM THE INDEPENDENT, 2004) CONTINUED

---------------------- Bacall became very famous very quickly. She got her own star contracts. She married Bogart and they had a son, Stephen, and a daughter, Leslie. But the odd fact is that she never worked steadily. There were two other pretty good films with Bogart - Dark Passage and Key Largo - but the absence of Hawks is very telling. Bacall was revealed as very limited, rather stiff and haughty, a natural frowner and not terribly appealing.

See for yourself in Confidential Agent (where she's awful), Young Man with a Horn (with Kirk Douglas) and Bright Leaf. And after that, in movies, she was never really a lead, but a figure in ensemble casts and limp movies - How to Marry a Millionaire (the picture is remembered for Marilyn Monroe); Woman's World; The Cobweb; Blood Alley; Written on the Wind (Dorothy Malone got the Oscar); Designing Woman; The Gift of Love (as a dead mother who comes back to earth to help her husband and child).

By then, 1958, Bogart was dead and Bacall was clearly awkward casting. She was a New York socialite. She nearly married Frank Sinatra. She dated presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson. And she did marry again, to Jason Robards Jr. But she made only three films in the 1960s, none of them memorable. Indeed, her most notable work was on stage, in Cactus Flower.

In the 1970s, she had another success, playing the Bette Davis role in the musical Applause, adapted from All About Eve. That won her a Tony. But the films were few and far between. It was only in 1996 that she at long last got an Oscar nomination, as supporting actress, playing Barbra Streisand's mother in The Mirror Has Two Faces. Even then, people said that her best acting was the stifling of disbelief, dismay and wrath when she actually lost that Oscar (to Juliette Binoche for The English Patient).

It's not fair: she could have had an Oscar for To Have and Have Not (even if it was for outstanding juvenile performance!). But that staggering performance was so far ahead of its time - and such natural learning material for actresses to come, including Nicole Kidman. In Venice, apparently, Kidman was embarrassed that Bacall was given so few questions in the press conference. For Kidman is wise and generous enough to know that two films are sufficient - and so Lauren Bacall is famous for ever, no matter that she and Slim were two cats that passed in the night and never saw much resemblance.

-----------------------------------------

by Anonymousreply 101December 27, 2017 11:39 PM

If it's any consolation, Bacall was injured in the Broadway run of APPLAUSE when she jumped off the table in the (awful) nightclub number...and her backup dancers didn't catch her.

Coincidence??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 27, 2017 11:53 PM

Bacall wasn't threatened by talent. She championed Bonnie Franklin when they did Applause together and was always happy for Franklin's success in interviews. The two remained good friends.

by Anonymousreply 103December 27, 2017 11:56 PM

R98, thx for that. Yes, her 2 first films were the high point.

by Anonymousreply 104December 28, 2017 12:08 AM

She was that rare super ambitious person who had success early and never appreciated what people learned who did things the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 105December 28, 2017 12:19 AM

So, r103........did she think I was chopped fucking liver?

by Anonymousreply 106December 28, 2017 12:23 AM

I hate that she was such a bitch to everyone because I loved her autobiography. She claimed to have written it herself (in longhand, yet), and I love the very simple style and the fact that she seems capable of at least a modicum of self-reflection. In the autobio she doesn't always let herself off the hook; she admits times she felt sad, overwhelmed, defeated, admits to at times doing the wrong thing. It's clear she absolutely adored her mother. Perhaps losing her mother and her husband to lingering illnesses when she was still relatively young hardened her? Whatever, it's a real shame, as I think there was a worthwhile person in there somewhere beneath the 98 layers of brittle armor.

by Anonymousreply 107December 28, 2017 12:24 AM

She hated Robards because he wasn't Sinatra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 28, 2017 12:38 AM

She always knew that Hollywood never really "accepted" her, which is why she preferred NYC. Studio bigwigs and major stars looked down on her as mediocre, but tolerated her because she was Mrs. Bogart. That fact added to her bitterness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 28, 2017 12:41 AM

She was never beautiful to me. She’s plain compared to Ava Gardner or Rita Hayworth. She was haggard next to Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 110December 28, 2017 12:41 AM

Shelley said one night Lauren called her up to tell her that Tony was late for their date. When Shelley told Lauren she had no business telling her, his wife, Lauren supposedly retorted, "Well, if he doesn't respect your marriage, why should I?". The Widow Bogie. A first class CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 111December 28, 2017 1:16 AM

Wasn't Bogie's first wife almost crazy?

by Anonymousreply 112December 28, 2017 1:38 AM

R111, meet R81.

by Anonymousreply 113December 28, 2017 1:42 AM

I don't care what you say, you can't beat a good plate of macaroni and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 114December 28, 2017 1:53 AM

Is that something Lauren Bacall liked?

by Anonymousreply 115December 28, 2017 1:55 AM

When she was doing WOMAN OF THE YEAR, the producers scheduled a big birthday party for her. It was to celebrate their star a bit, get some press, and to keep Bacall off their backs. They invited everyone in the company. No one from the company RSVP'd that they were going to attend. No one. The producers then made attendance mandatory. God bless collective bargaining. The union made it clear that the actors had not been contracted to attend parties.

A compromise was struck. If the producers would pay each company member for a four hour rehearsal period, the union would allow the producers to require attendance at the party. But without that, none of them would have been there.

by Anonymousreply 116December 28, 2017 1:59 AM

[quote]R116 A compromise was struck. If the producers would pay each company member for a four hour rehearsal period, the union would allow the producers to require attendance at the party. But without that, none of them would have been there.

Wow! I've never heard of such a thing! I wonder if the Widow Bogie knew EVERYONE had to be paid to come to her party.

She really is the last person you'd expect to end up as a musical comedy star...! How the f#ck did THAT happen???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117December 28, 2017 4:39 AM

For some reason, I think this is my favorite of Bacall's movies. Agnes Moorehead is really nasty and catty in it, in a supporting role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 28, 2017 4:48 AM

I worked until Midnight at Doubleday Bookshop across from Tiffany at 57th and 5th. Bacall came in late one night. Her eyes were bloodshot and she was slightly tipsy. She asked for a paperback of "Lewis" C.S. Lewis was very popular then but she said "Sinclair Lewis". When we passed bestselling paperbacks, I pointed out Bogy and Baby. "Garbage"! she said. Being a kid I said "Well they're still interested". She didn't get annoyed and asked if I had a recording of Change Partners and Dance. I said I didn't know it and she leaned across the record counter and sang a few lines of it to me. Then I found a version of it by Charles Aznavour and she took it. She saw a record of Adlai Stevensons speeches and looked at his photo very fondly. She took it and I later read she had a thing for him but he was Gay. Then she spotted a Richard Nixon speeches record. "A Republican Cloth Coat is good enough for my Pat! Oh, I want that." She also picked put a couple of books though she said she had a stack to read at home. Then she realized she had no credit cars on her. I said to call when she got home to give me the number. So a little while later my manager took her call and asked for the card number. She insisted on speaking to me and after thanking me, I said now put your feet up and listen to those Nixon speeches." She gave out a loud throaty laugh. So I have no bad memories.

by Anonymousreply 119December 28, 2017 7:22 AM

R112, his third wife, Mayo Methot. He knicknamed her sluggy, cause they fought a lot. She did some acting, was in Marked Woman, with him and Davis. I think she died just a few years after they divorced.

by Anonymousreply 120December 28, 2017 7:52 AM

That’s priceless, R119. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 121December 28, 2017 9:13 AM

every cunt is always a very hurt person.

by Anonymousreply 122December 28, 2017 11:43 AM

[quote]R122 every cunt is always a very hurt person.

#StopTheEnabling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 28, 2017 1:06 PM

Are there any good stories about Lauren Bacall?

by Anonymousreply 124December 28, 2017 1:09 PM

[quote]R124 Are there any good stories about Lauren Bacall?

Yes. She left her maid of two decades $15,000 in her will.

When her estate was worth 26 mil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 28, 2017 1:17 PM

After decades in the business, Lauren Bacall was all set to win an Oscar on her first nomination, for The Mirror Has Two Faces. That is, until Juliette Binoche came out of nowhere to win for The English Patient instead. Years later, in her memoir, [bold]Bacall blamed her loss on Miramax honcho Harvey Weinstein[/bold], who spearheaded The English Patient’s Oscar campaign.

by Anonymousreply 126December 28, 2017 1:28 PM

I read an interview with Douglas Sirk in which he said he cast her in Written on the Wind because she has a "calculating" quality.

by Anonymousreply 127December 28, 2017 1:43 PM

I'm just here to say how much I love this thread. I've never understood the worship Bacall has received over the years. To me she's the proof that all it takes to become a "legend" in Hollywood is to outlive most of your peer group (and fuck the right people, of course!)

by Anonymousreply 128December 28, 2017 1:54 PM

Miss Shelley Winters for the win! She knew how to throw some shade!

by Anonymousreply 129December 28, 2017 1:55 PM

I was walking down 5th Ave when I passed Ms. Bacall-Bogart-Robards. She kept walking without stopping to kick or spit on me. I was later contacted by Hatper’s & the New York Times to ask 2hat I had done to be treated better than most of New York.

by Anonymousreply 130December 28, 2017 2:03 PM

I remember seeing Lauren Bacall being interviewed by John Callaway, if memory serves. She was asked what was the biggest misconception about her, and she answered that she was bitchy and difficult. A few minutes later, a viewer called in and made the mistake of referring to Bacall as “Betty”. Bacall interrupted him: “I BEG YOUR PARDON?!” The chastened caller murmured, “Sorry — Miss Bacall”.

The host said, “Now, wait a minute, you just finished saying that you’re not difficult or bitchy, but you had to respond to the caller like that?!”

Bacall remained in high dudgeon, stating that only her friends had earned the right to cal her that. She had a point, certainly, but her reaction was so nasty — and so revealing. I was glad the host called her on it.

Great story, R116!

by Anonymousreply 131December 28, 2017 2:05 PM

[quote]R129 Miss Shelley Winters for the win! She knew how to throw some shade!

“Hey, everybody. Betty got work! We should all celebrate.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 28, 2017 2:07 PM

[quote]Bacall wasn't threatened by talent. She championed Bonnie Franklin

This statement is begging for a better example.

by Anonymousreply 133December 28, 2017 2:21 PM

The old cunt broke up Bogart's marriage when she was in her late teens. She was a no talent bitch and homely as 'blue mud' as my grandmother used to say, but she was one slick Jewess.

by Anonymousreply 134December 28, 2017 3:00 PM

I love you, Babe Paley at R133!

by Anonymousreply 135December 28, 2017 3:02 PM

I don't buy the story about the cast of Applause needing to be paid to go to her birthday party. I've heard more than a few cast members of both Applause and Woman of the Year speak warmly of Bacall (but not Waiting in the Wings where she was universally loathed).

by Anonymousreply 136December 28, 2017 3:07 PM

R119, thanks for that anecdote. Great skinny.

Lots of women got married in suits back then. My mom did, albeit with a fur coat over her suit.

We can't know if or how Bacall lobbied for an Oscar. We may have been privy to obvious campaigns like ones by Weinstein but there was plenty of lobbying going on behind the scenes that was never chronicled like it would be today.

by Anonymousreply 137December 28, 2017 3:35 PM

I once read a story where Bacall was in a high class restaurant and she ordered a baked potato for dinner. When the waiter brought her order, she angrily exclaimed "THIS is a BAD potato!" Whereupon the waiter pointed a finger at the tuber and said, "Bad potato! Bad potato!" At which point Bacall laughed, so I give her credit for that.

by Anonymousreply 138December 28, 2017 3:40 PM

[QUOTE]I've heard more than a few cast members of both Applause and Woman of the Year speak warmly of Bacall (but not Waiting in the Wings where she was universally loathed).

Wait staff all over Manhattan used to run and hide whenever she'd come into a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 139December 28, 2017 3:50 PM

Waiter returns to her table 2 minutes after having served the entree and inquires:

" Miss Bacall, is anything right ? "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140December 28, 2017 3:56 PM

There was a great book published in the 90s called “Sing Out, Louise!” that was comprised of insider recollections of Broadway musical veterans. Bacall contributed, as did some of her “Applause” and “Woman of the Year” costars. No one really trashed her, and they all commented on her strong work ethic, but at least one claimed that once “Applause” opened to great personal success, she had very little to do with the folks on whom she’d relied for help during rehearsals. And next to nothing to do with fans.

by Anonymousreply 141December 28, 2017 4:29 PM

I sat between Bacall and Katie Couric at The Producers. I had to pee at intermission. I thought "I'm not crawling over Bacall," so I went toward Couric who was standing talking to someone on in the row behind is. I tried to her her attention several times. He was either ignoring me, or too engrossed in the conversation to notice me. Bacall tapped me on the shoulder and said "She's not moving for you. Come this way."

by Anonymousreply 142December 28, 2017 5:06 PM

If you saw "Waiting in the Wings," you surely noticed that the play was set in England in the early 1960's, that all the cast had spot-on period costumes hair styles and that Miss Bacall wore a couple of Armani suits and her own familiar long hair style. Alvin Colt, the costume designer (six Tony nominations, one win,) designed costume after costume for Bacall and she rejected them all.

Instead, she went to Armani, charged a few suits to the producers, and told them that she would be wearing them in the show. She looked ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 143December 28, 2017 6:55 PM

Something must be said for the fact that she never stooped to retouching...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 28, 2017 7:51 PM

And people say [bold]I[/bold] have a cunty reputation!

by Anonymousreply 145December 28, 2017 8:24 PM

R88, The English Patient was not worse than The Mirror Has Two Faces. And it definitely wasn't one of the worst Best Picture winners. Forrest Gump, Titanic, Crash, Braveheart and a bunch of others were worse

by Anonymousreply 146December 28, 2017 8:27 PM

I like a tough broad. The only person who knew how to handle her was another New Yorker, the driver who didn't pick her up where she wanted as in R1's story. He gave it back to her as good as he got.

They should have married.

by Anonymousreply 147December 28, 2017 9:05 PM

She married a father figure, didn’t he have any influence on her? He and his friends let her behave like a spoiled brat and she just ran with it for the rest of her life.

by Anonymousreply 148December 28, 2017 9:30 PM

[quote]R147 I like a tough broad.

It's about time Betty realized that what's attractive on stage need not necessarily be attractive off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149December 28, 2017 10:05 PM

R103, Bacall was a big fan of Streisand's from day one and always had kind things to say about her.

R108, Bacall married Robards because he resembled Bogart, and he was an alcoholic like Bogart.

"When (stage) producer Jimmy Nederlander gave another of his leading ladies, Lena Horne, a diamond bracelet, she called him and said, “'Where’s mine?' 'It arrived the next day,' says Jon Wilner, who designed the show’s ad campaign."

How's she know? Lena told her, they were friends.

A lot of Bacall's bad behavior became a self-fulfilling prophecy, imo. She was a bitch, then treated badly. She expected to be treated badly and acted like a bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 28, 2017 10:32 PM

She toured in Denver in Sweet Bird of Youth (Old Crow of Senility) and the box office was informed that "Ms. Bacall does not like gladiolas or the color orange."

by Anonymousreply 151December 28, 2017 11:31 PM

[quote]R151 ...the box office was informed that "Ms. Bacall does not like gladiolas or the color orange."

Well, how does she like a goddamn foot up her ass?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152December 28, 2017 11:53 PM

Ummm.......when would Betty have any dealings with the box office r151?

by Anonymousreply 153December 29, 2017 12:00 AM

[quote]R153 Ummm.......when would Betty have any dealings with the box office?

Oh, I'm sure she was up in everybody's business, 'round the clock.

by Anonymousreply 154December 29, 2017 12:02 AM

My only story is quite unremarkable, but it wasn't negative.

I was an usher at a small off-off-Broadway theater company (just so I could see the show for free), back in the early 90s. Ms. Bacall walked in, and I asked for her ticket. She showed it to me, and I showed her to her seat. I said "It's nice to see you here Ms. Bacall". She smiled and said "Thank you, dear."

That's all I got. She could've been a bitch to me, but she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 155December 29, 2017 1:10 AM

I always wondered if the Tony Award committee wanted to give her that ridiculous Best Actress in a Musical award for Woman of the year. Even though she wasn't very good, I think if Linda Ronstadt had played the game and went to the various functions, she might have won, if just because everyone hated Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 156December 29, 2017 1:19 AM

[quote]R155 I was an usher at a small off-off-Broadway theater company...

How did she end up there? Did she know someone in the cast?

by Anonymousreply 157December 29, 2017 1:25 AM

What R12 said.

by Anonymousreply 158December 29, 2017 1:31 AM

I liked the ol gal. You have to admit she was fun on Dame Edna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 29, 2017 1:33 AM

R159 - I've watched that before. She was a great sport in that.

by Anonymousreply 160December 29, 2017 1:35 AM

R157---"That's all I got.""

by Anonymousreply 161December 29, 2017 1:45 AM

It's a shame Stritchy and Betty never did a project together....how would you cast them?

by Anonymousreply 162December 29, 2017 2:29 AM

She sounds like a fun tough old broad to me.

I wonder how many of the "oh, she was AWFUL!" stories were from wimpy types.

The only way to handle a battle axe is to stand up to them firmly but with a sense of humor.

"You don't really think you're gonna get away with talking to me that way, do you?"

by Anonymousreply 163December 29, 2017 7:13 AM

It also seems likely that much of Bacall's problem was shitty self esteem. Or, rather, she knew her limitations....deep down.

She wasn't a great actress. She had a terrific presence and she had a brilliant beginning with Bogie and Hawks but as noted above, she had a "hard" look to her and she couldn't play much outside of that brittle hard shell of hers. She had a long career mainly coasting on her very early success, her marriages and her star allure.

The only role she was really good at, was Star Diva.

by Anonymousreply 164December 29, 2017 7:18 AM

Why would anyone compare Dunaway with the shrewish Bacall (Perske)?

by Anonymousreply 165December 29, 2017 7:41 AM

r165 Well, for many reasons.

Dunaway is a cold, hard actor who had some early success then quickly faded.

And has a reputation for bad behavior and terrorizing clerks and shop girls.

by Anonymousreply 166December 29, 2017 8:04 AM

Bacall had a LOT of difficulty remembering her lines in Waiting in the Wings, or at least so said everyone who saw the stinker. I mean she found time to terrorize and alienate poor Rosemary Harris for fuck's sake! Learn your lines, Gammy!

I forgot my better Lauren Bacall story!

I was by myself at the long-gone revival house The Regency on 67th and Broadway seeing a Preston Sturges double feature. Right as the previews started two chatterboxes sat right behind me. They gabbed throughout the previews and title sequence, and then one know-it-all started talking shit about the movie AND Sturges like they were friends! The story made no sense and chronologically was all off, so I figured the talker was insane. More talking, now we're 5-6 minutes into the film. (The Miracle of Morgan's Creek), and I'd had it.

I started my "Are you two going to talk through the whole fucking movie?" before turning all the way around and just as I get to the end I am staring right at Bacall. I think my intensity and not flinching when I stared into her mug caught them off guard and they actually apologized and shut up!

After about an hour or so into the film they started gabbing again, and Bacall shushes her friend and said "We're gonna get in trouble again from...." (pointing at me I guess)! I was pretty tickled by the encounter.

by Anonymousreply 167December 29, 2017 8:30 AM

We have a lot.of new posters r72 who are delicate types who censor their naughty words. It's mildly irritating.

I wish Betty and Yoko had been coop neighbors in the age of smartphones.

by Anonymousreply 168December 29, 2017 9:08 AM

Great finale for a movie. She looks amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169December 29, 2017 9:37 AM

R163 knows nothing about handling people with real power. Employ the technique he suggests and you'll be instantly unemployed.

If his advice was any good at all, there would be no sexual harassment in the work place. Women would have long ago learned that all they needed to say was, "Hey, simmer down, fella," and any unwanted behavior would stop.

None of it works the way R163 suggests. He would "stand up to" Miss Bacall "firmly but with a sense of humor" and she would reduce him to a bubbling pool of chicken fat in front of the entire company. Then she would quietly tell the producer to get rid of R163. And it would be done.

by Anonymousreply 170December 29, 2017 12:57 PM

R170, is right. Hey, simmer down, fella? More like fuck off asshole! Unemployment line.

I loved Bacall as the stalked theater diva in The Fan (1981), R163. There's a scene where she's bitching at her assistant played by Maureen Stapleton., saying something like "who told you life is supposed to be bliss?" Stapleton responds with "what is this bliss shit?," then unloads what she's been holding in for a long time. Bacall's character apologizes. But that's a movie.

by Anonymousreply 171December 29, 2017 3:43 PM

I met her at the old Oxford books in Atlanta. I was the last in line. She said, she was bored, and asked me to stay for a moment. She was lovely, kind and gracious, and I was absolutely starstuck.

by Anonymousreply 172December 29, 2017 4:19 PM

I might have told this story in another thread before, so apologies if anyone's read it before.

I was working the front of the house at the Cort Theater on Broadway while in school. Bacall came in to see a matinee one Wednesday and we were working short because too many of the ushers called in without replacements. We also had a lot of subs who didn't know the house very well or were new in general (and ushers aren't the smartest people). I brought Bacall in and returned to the lobby to resume taking tickets. Very close to curtain, one of the subs came to get me and said there was a problem.

Apparently, Bacall had been seated in the wrong row, middle of the orchestra. Correct seat but one row ahead of where she should have been, and the people with those tickets had shown up and Bacall was making a stink about it. She understood she was in the wrong seats but her attitude was- your usher seated me here, here is where I'm staying. She was practically crucifying the dumb bunny who seated her (and for whom I had little sympathy- it's really not hard to tell the difference between a G and an H), but of course, I had to be diplomatic. I apologized and asked her to please move, as the party who had those seats was larger than her party and we couldn't just put them in the row behind (not that we should have). Well, Bacall stood her ground and said- before I move, I want to know what you're going to do about this usher (I assume she wanted the girl fired, but at this point, i was totally on dumbo's side.) She stared at me, icy as fuck, so I stared back and said, "What time should we set the hanging?" Bacall looked at me for a moment, then laughed, and moved into her proper row.

by Anonymousreply 173December 29, 2017 4:32 PM

R173....you proved she was a complete cunt! THREAD CLOSED!

by Anonymousreply 174December 29, 2017 4:55 PM

No, 174, a complete cunt would have pulled some rope out of her handbag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175December 29, 2017 5:29 PM

She's delightful with Johnny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176December 29, 2017 5:38 PM

W&W R175

by Anonymousreply 177December 29, 2017 7:52 PM

Of course, she was delightful on talk shows -- she was WORKING.

It was in the green room she showed her true colors -- not on camera.

by Anonymousreply 178December 29, 2017 8:40 PM

Of course, Lauren Bacall was on her best behavior with Gregory Peck. The gentleman inspired others to be better than their true selves, even Lauren Bacall. Whenever people discuss Gregory Peck, it is with a hushed reverence, and deservedly so. I’ve never read an unkind word about Gregory Peck.

by Anonymousreply 179December 29, 2017 9:10 PM

R1 you are a hoot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180December 29, 2017 9:16 PM

shrugs....

I don't take shit from anyone, generally.

And, I've talked "sassy" to a celeb or two...

No one had me fired or killed.

by Anonymousreply 181December 30, 2017 6:21 AM

[quote]R179 Of course, Lauren Bacall was on her best behavior with Gregory Peck. The gentleman inspired others to be better than their true selves, even Lauren Bacall.

Everyone DID seem to love him!

I think it also may have been that they'd done a film together in the 1950s (one of her better ones), and she probably didn't want to shatter those earlier memories of her.

(Interestingly, this role and the part she played in THE COBWEB were originally to be played by Grace Kelly....who ran off to Monaco.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182December 30, 2017 7:46 AM

R179, Yes, Gregory Peck seemed to bring out the best in other people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183December 30, 2017 8:09 AM

R183 He could have saved us all from her....but she swam away on a sea of scotch, in a cloud of Benson & Hedges menthol.

Moment of silence....

by Anonymousreply 184December 30, 2017 8:16 AM

Gregory Peck was one good looking silver daddy.

by Anonymousreply 185December 30, 2017 8:52 AM

Sorry about the poor quality. Her gay bar scene from 'Applause'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 30, 2017 8:57 AM

Our mother reported to us that she saw APPLAUSE with Bacall on Broadway.

Gregory Peck was a homosexual who was said to be horse-hung.

by Anonymousreply 187December 30, 2017 9:23 AM

She was wonderful in Cactus Flower and Applause.

by Anonymousreply 188December 30, 2017 11:25 AM

R176, she was boring.

by Anonymousreply 189December 30, 2017 11:50 AM

She was better in the National Touring Company of APPLAUSE than Patrice Munsel was in the same role in the Bus and Truck tour. I'll give her that.

by Anonymousreply 190December 30, 2017 1:22 PM

Bacall liked Gregory Peck because not only was he a great actor-matinee idol (at the time), like her, he was a bleeding heart liberal x 1000.

by Anonymousreply 191December 30, 2017 4:27 PM

Patrice Munsel? Haven't seen/heard that name in decades.

by Anonymousreply 192December 30, 2017 4:45 PM

[quote] Her gay bar scene from 'Applause'.

And still one of the major reasons today why we can't have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 193December 30, 2017 5:01 PM

[quote] Our mother reported to us

Stinkfish

by Anonymousreply 194December 30, 2017 5:14 PM

I wish Lauren Bacall would have got the part of Linda Low in "Flower Drum Song".

by Anonymousreply 195December 30, 2017 5:17 PM

R157, I'm not sure why she was there at the York Theatre on the Upper East Side. We were all mesmerized at her presence, and she left the theater alone. It could be that she just simply loved going to see theater...

by Anonymousreply 196December 30, 2017 7:30 PM

Why did she do all those Fortunoff commercials? Certainly she didn't need the money and she would never set foot in a store like that.

by Anonymousreply 197December 30, 2017 7:33 PM

Patrice Munsel IS forgettable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 30, 2017 7:34 PM

[quote] Why did she do all those Fortunoff commercials? Certainly she didn't need the money and she would never set foot in a store like that.

Or Tuesday Morning

Or Fancy Feast

Or High Point Coffee

by Anonymousreply 199December 30, 2017 10:15 PM

I think she got off pretty easy r199.....

by Anonymousreply 200December 30, 2017 10:58 PM

[quote]Why did she do all those Fortunoff commercials? Certainly she didn't need the money and she would never set foot in a store like that.

[quote]Or Tuesday Morning - Or Fancy Feast - Or High Point Coffee

She was raised during the Great Depression (1929-1939) and that striken feeling of growing up in want never seems to have left that generation. So she probably socked cash away at every opportunity. Also, her film career was very erratic, so she knew there weren't big Hollywood paychecks to count on. Additionally, she had three layabout kids, and certainly wanted to provide for them should she drop dead.

She purchased a 4,000-square-foot, 9 room condo in the Dakota in 1961 for $48,000...and it sold after her death for $23.5 million. So, that seems to have been a wise investment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 30, 2017 11:24 PM

CO-OP, R201, not condo.

by Anonymousreply 202December 30, 2017 11:41 PM

R202 = Yoko Ono

by Anonymousreply 203December 30, 2017 11:44 PM

Why do commercials? They pay really well! She wraps her shoot in a few days, gets paid, and then waits for the residuals to roll in. For a star as well known as she is, it's a likely bet that the commercial will run nationally, not merely in certain markets, and continuously for a fair amount of time. That's money on top of money on top of money. And if the commercial performs well, getting a follow up, or series of follow ups, with that same product becomes much, much easier. More money. She surely made more money from Fancy Feast and High Point than she ever did from Hollywood.

The monthly maintenance charges for an apartment that large in a building as prestigious as the Dakota would force just about any owner to do just about anything that would produce cash.

by Anonymousreply 204December 30, 2017 11:50 PM

I'm sure it's been said but who would have wanted Bacall to be nice? Being a bitch was have her allure.

by Anonymousreply 205December 31, 2017 1:24 AM

Half and Half Not

by Anonymousreply 206December 31, 2017 1:26 AM

She also hawked Ford Fairmonts...I remember when the Nat'l Enquirer claimed that she was lying when she said what great cars they were. They used some sort of lie detector that recorded the human voice....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207December 31, 2017 1:29 AM

NO, R202, New Yorker so NOT want condos, darling.

by Anonymousreply 208December 31, 2017 1:35 AM

EXCUSE ME asshole ignorant of everything NEW YORK R203. Go back to you "condo" in Peoria.

by Anonymousreply 209December 31, 2017 1:38 AM

[quote]CO-OP, [R201], not condo.

I've never understood the difference : (

by Anonymousreply 210December 31, 2017 2:24 AM

You don't own your apartment in a co-op. You own shares in the corporation. If you sell, its the shares you sell.Part of your monthly maintenance charge goes toward paying the,building's city taxes. The co-op,has a board that has to approves sales and any sublets. There are more co-ops than condos in NYC. In a condo, you own the unit. Less regulation of what you can do with the place.

by Anonymousreply 211December 31, 2017 2:55 AM

R221 Thank you : ) I am remembering now that a board representing the owners has to approve you buying into a co-op. With a condo, you can sell to anyone (Ithink)

by Anonymousreply 212December 31, 2017 3:18 AM

R221 The co-op,has a board that has to approves sales and any sublets.

Okay....clearly I am not reading responsibly.

: (

Thanks...

by Anonymousreply 213December 31, 2017 3:25 AM

The degree of control co-op boards exercise over sale, etc. varies a lot, even in NYC. Beyond that the Board functions like a condo board--reviewing plans for renovations, creating an annual budget and approving big ticket items for the buildings, etc. I've been a co-op board member and a condo board member. Unless they've lived in a co-op most people are quite ignorant about how they operate.

by Anonymousreply 214December 31, 2017 3:49 AM

A co-op, anywhere, can dictate a lot more, sometimes even where you get your mortgage as well as the size of your down payment. In a condo the public spaces and their contents, as well as the structure and outer shell are co-owned and co-administrated, while the inner shell of your living space is yours.

by Anonymousreply 215December 31, 2017 4:34 AM

I loved The English Patient, and Binoche deserved her win. She was excellent.,

by Anonymousreply 216December 31, 2017 4:41 AM

Bacall was royally pissed when Raquel Welch was signed as her vacation replacement. She herself had been pushing for them to hire her pal Dina Merrill. Merrill was no threat to Bacall. Bacall was the bigger star, and was younger than Merrill.

Welch was a whole other kettle of fish. Sixteen years younger than Bacall, she had always been known as a non-actress, but had begun to show some talent appearing in singing/dancing parts on TV variety shows. Welch’s announcement in the role proved beneficial to the box office, which had begun to sag a bit, and Bacall could not stand that.

She supposedly wrote “Fuck you!” in lipstick on the dressing room mirror before she left on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 217December 31, 2017 4:49 AM

[quote]Lots of women got married in suits back then.

Especially during WWII.

by Anonymousreply 218December 31, 2017 5:07 AM

You're all a bunch of no-nothing cunts. I met Bacall at.a few parties and dinners. She was fine, socially. Rather dazzling, even old. Funny too.

by Anonymousreply 219December 31, 2017 5:14 AM

A few months after the Oscars, Bacall was back in LA, and got into a minor accident driving along Sunset Blvd in BH. The word in WeHo is that when the paramedics arrived, they discovered a bunch of pictures of Juliette Binoche in the back seat, all of them defaced or deformed in some way, eyes scratched out, that kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 220December 31, 2017 5:21 AM

Bacall sounds like one of those monsters who are charming with those whom she considers peers (showbiz people and other celebrities) but rude and abusive to underlings and civilians (anyone employed in the service industry).

by Anonymousreply 221December 31, 2017 5:22 AM

[quote] You're all a bunch of no-nothing cunts.

Oh dear.....

by Anonymousreply 222December 31, 2017 5:32 AM

know nothing moi

by Anonymousreply 223December 31, 2017 5:33 AM

[quote]R221 Bacall sounds like one of those monsters who are charming with those whom she considers peers (showbiz people and other celebrities) but rude and abusive to underlings and civilians (anyone employed in the service industry).

In other words, a sociopath. Someone who cannot see others as having inherent human value...

by Anonymousreply 224December 31, 2017 5:33 AM

[quote]In other words, a sociopath. Someone who cannot see others as having inherent human value...

In other words, the sort of teenager who would marry an ugly, scrawny old drunk because he was a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 225December 31, 2017 5:50 AM

[quote]R225 In other words, the sort of teenager who would marry an ugly, scrawny old drunk because he was a movie star.

She said he "was funny"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226December 31, 2017 5:59 AM

Surprised no one has posted this yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227December 31, 2017 6:40 AM

My ears are bleeding.

by Anonymousreply 228December 31, 2017 6:46 AM

Bogie was well known for his huge cock. So there was that, too.

by Anonymousreply 229December 31, 2017 6:59 AM

"Nevah Say Nevah"!

by Anonymousreply 230December 31, 2017 7:01 AM

R227 Has any singer smoked a cigarette during their eleven o'clock number? (And where did the set with all the stairs suddenly come from??)

I love how utterly [italic] rapt [/italic] the entire audience is supposed to be...

by Anonymousreply 231December 31, 2017 7:02 AM

[quote]I love how utterly rapt the entire audience is

More like [italic]raped.[/italic] Many of them said they felt unclean after listening to Bacall’s smoker’s rasp growling out a song.

by Anonymousreply 232December 31, 2017 7:26 AM

Thanks for the Applause vudeo. It was awful. She was awful.

by Anonymousreply 233December 31, 2017 7:31 AM

Yeah but do her kids like her?

by Anonymousreply 234December 31, 2017 8:06 AM

She has a very hoarse, harsh voice - just like Lucille Ball's. Both old broads lived well into their 7th and 8th decades, and God took Bowie at age 69. Left 69 year-old Donald Tramp. Now that's cuntish!

by Anonymousreply 235December 31, 2017 8:18 AM

Daughter's a yoga instructor...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 31, 2017 8:22 AM

Is there any way she could have hastened Bogie's final illness and departure along? She seems the type

by Anonymousreply 237December 31, 2017 10:35 AM

Trust me, R221. She's abusive to her peers, too. Not just the service industry.

A big part of it is alcohol. She drank. A lot. And once the little bit of inhibition her nastiness had was washed away in booze, there was no stopping her.

by Anonymousreply 238December 31, 2017 1:56 PM

Her daughter used to be a nurse.

by Anonymousreply 239December 31, 2017 6:53 PM

[quote]R238 A big part of it is alcohol. She drank. A lot. And once the little bit of inhibition her nastiness had was washed away in booze, there was no stopping her.

Oh, absolutely. And I think another part of her bitterness had to do with knowing she was never taken seriously as an actress in the industry. Again and again in her writing she grouses things like [italic] "You'd think after all these years...!" [/italic] and such. But the truth is, she was an OKAY actress, no more, no less. She was sharp and stylish and cool (enviable characteristics), but she never broke through with any kind of remarkable emotion or dazzling skill.

If we're going on ACTING ability, she went a lot further than she actually rated. But not in her eyes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240December 31, 2017 7:22 PM

The setting: Orso... the date: a few weeks before the Oscars.

The comment made by patrons at a neighboring table: “we adored you in TMHTF and just wanted to say congratulations on your nomination!”

The response: “was I talking to you?!?!”

The CUNT: Lauren Bacall

by Anonymousreply 241December 31, 2017 7:25 PM

Wasn't she a fixture at Studio 54 for a while?

by Anonymousreply 242December 31, 2017 7:28 PM

[quote]R237 Is there any way she could have hastened Bogie's final illness and departure along? She seems the type

I think she was smart enough to know he was her meal ticket.

She was a bitchy former model no one really liked that much, on her own.

Hollywood certainly wasn't heaping roles on her...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243December 31, 2017 7:36 PM

The fact is that her movie career was handed to her by Hawks and Bogart. When she did her first film with another actor - it wasn't very good.

She never was a very good actress.

I watched Key Largo not long ago and she is practically not there. There was a movie with a great cast: Bogart, Lionel Barrymore, Claire Trevor, Edward G Robinson and great supporting actors. Bacall adds nothing to the film at all. When you think about that film, she doesn't even come to mind.

She just was not very talented.

Famous, yes. But talented - No.

by Anonymousreply 244December 31, 2017 7:38 PM

Wow, R241, that was shockingly cunty! (And I’m being serious, not sarcastic!)

by Anonymousreply 245December 31, 2017 7:54 PM

"Bogie was well known for his huge cock. So there was that, too."

WTF? Bogart was not a homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 246December 31, 2017 7:55 PM

She was my spirit animal when she was alive. I wish she had cunted on me before she died. It would have been a dream come true.

by Anonymousreply 247December 31, 2017 8:00 PM

Surprised she never went the prime time soap route in the '80s like so many other Hollywood has-beens, or at least done a token guest starring role on Murder, She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 248December 31, 2017 8:02 PM

It's like all anecdotes recalled in this thread are comprising the syllabus for a master class in cunting.

by Anonymousreply 249December 31, 2017 8:08 PM

She was an '80s soap.

by Anonymousreply 250December 31, 2017 8:11 PM

R248, she never would have lasted. No one wanted to work with her and the techs would have made her life hell.

by Anonymousreply 251December 31, 2017 8:17 PM

She appeared on a Dame Edna episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252December 31, 2017 8:24 PM

The Dame Edna interview was the best anyone got out of her.

by Anonymousreply 253December 31, 2017 8:29 PM

Hi R245... R241 here. Yes, it was so over the top cunty it was comical. We (four of us) were at the table adjacent to Lauren's and that of the people trying to compliment her. At the time, people at every table within earshot just had a WTF look on their faces.

But later, after we left the restaurant and were talking about it in the cab, we could not stop laughing hysterically for the rest of the night. For years it became the most referenced inside joke among the friends with me that evening. No matter what the topic, all any of us had to say to each other was "Was I talking to you?!?!" and we would be on the floor with laughter.

by Anonymousreply 254December 31, 2017 8:51 PM

I will say Bacall was at least a marginally better singer than Katharine Hepburn.

Jump to the 3:05 to hear some PRO caterwauling!

I mean, there should be [italic] a law.... [/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255December 31, 2017 8:52 PM

Kate was no Callas that's for sure. People should play in their own lanes.

Funny that Lauren and Kate won Tonys for musicals and Julie Andrews hasn't.

by Anonymousreply 256December 31, 2017 8:54 PM

We might call Hepburn's singing "bracing"

by Anonymousreply 257December 31, 2017 8:56 PM

Who knows if she was fuming afterwards off camera, but this Scottish queen got her to answer pretty good naturedly about some of the truly crappy films she made. It's a long interview at more than 45 minutes and she seems quite candid about every aspect of her career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258December 31, 2017 8:57 PM

I can't find the clip on youtube any more, but there was once this one interview from around 1978, when she was promoting her first autobiography. The host wanders into saying the actor who played Bogart in the TV movie "The Man with Bogart's Face" had researched that Bogart's "speech impediment" came from injuring his lip in a childhood accident...and Bacall just becomes disdainfully freezing. After going on some about Bogart, she says archly "This has NOTHING to do with the book," which I always thought was outrageous. Because

A.) You're a fucking GUEST, Betty, and the host's job is to ask questions they thinks interests the public.

and

B.) It very MUCH has to do with her book, because without Humphrey Bogart, no one would know who she WAS. He takes up a huge part of her autobiography!

[italic]A Nasty Piece of Work, [/italic] as they might say in England.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259December 31, 2017 9:09 PM

I remember reading a TIME magazine article about Mexican workers and one of them said that she actually slapped his face when she wasn't pleased with his gardening work at her home. I think she had a place in LI. And that is not a joke. Maybe in her next life she is a garment worker in Bangladesh.

by Anonymousreply 260December 31, 2017 9:21 PM

A few months ago there were posts on the subject of Bogie, Bacall, and Marilyn Monroe threesomes. No firm substantiation but I certainly like the thought of Monroe and Bacall.

For the earlier poster saying she broke up Bogart's marriage, they were called the "Battling Bogarts". In one of their quarrels Mayo she even stabbed him. If anything Lauren taking off with Bogie may have saved his life.

[quote] There is an extraordinary photograph in which Bacall is leaning against the outside door of a Red Cross blood donor room. She wears a chic suit, gloves, a cloche hat with long waves of hair falling from it. I suppose it's a picture that says: even society women are giving blood for our boys. But there's a fascinating subtext, coming from the film noir style and the look on Betty's very hard, hardly 19 face, which says: "Watch out at the Blood Donor office - They have sultry vampires waiting there." One suck and our boys are men.

It's an interesting photo but that guy is way over-enthusiastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261December 31, 2017 9:24 PM

[quote] She appeared on a Dame Edna episode.

Thanks, R252, for the rerun of R159.

by Anonymousreply 262December 31, 2017 9:46 PM

No one would ever have heard of her if she hadn't let Bogart touch her velvet curtains.

by Anonymousreply 263December 31, 2017 10:14 PM

R256 Kate never won a Tony. In fact Bacall beat her on her first nomination.

by Anonymousreply 264December 31, 2017 11:10 PM

Well, I have a very few Bacall stories. Never met her, never saw her, all second hand.

I moved to New York in the early 70s and although I wasn't in the business, I had many friends who were. One story I heard many, many times, with a few variations, concerned her appearance in Applause. Allegedly she came to the theater late one afternoon and scrawled on the back wall of the elevator she had to take up to her dressing room, in large bold letters, was THE BEAST OF BROADWAY. Variants: a) it was written on her dressing room mirror and b) the writing was THE BITCH OF BROADWAY. I heard one version or another so many times from so many people who would have known that I totally believe the gist of the story.

When she did Waiting in The Wings, a late, lesser known play of Noel Coward, about old actresses in a retirement home, she was so hated by her costars (and crew) that the show became something to see for what the other ladies would do to wreck her performance.

From the beginning, in rehearsals, she would announce that she had been a personal friend of Noel Coward's and knew what he would want her to do and she did what she wanted. Any suggestion from director Michael Langham that she might try an alternative line reading or a specific piece of business was rudely rejected. She was the star and she had been a friend of Sir Noel. She then started trying to upstage her co-stars.

Unfortunately for her this was a group, of old, distinguished Broadway veterans, including the much loved and much honored Rosemary Harris. They knew all the tricks and gave it back to Bacall in spades when the show opened. Even the lovely Harris would pick up her character's knitting needles and start CLACKETY CLACK, CLACKETY CLACK, CLACK CLACK CLACK, CLACKETY CLACK behind Bacall whenever she had extended lines to deliver.

Finally, I saw that awful bus and truck Applause with the incredibly dreadful Patrice Munsel (and I'm an opera buff). Too many examples of her ineptness to detail. The only star in that production was the then unknown Pia Zadora in the Bonnie Franklin role. Tiny little girl with this huge, enormous voice that filled the 2200 seat house (Greensboro, NC) many times over. Brought the house down with both her numbers. A little dynamo of energy for an audience that was bored to tears. Her curtain call response dwarfed the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 265December 31, 2017 11:45 PM

Patrice Munsel--haven't heard or thought of her in a million years. Vaguely remember her doing highbrow material on variety shows. How did she wind up doing bus and truck tours? Was she broke? Could she still sing?

by Anonymousreply 266January 1, 2018 12:15 AM

Her Met career was largely over, r266. She was good but not great, and never had any real international career outside the Met, where she had been a reliable "House Soprano." She was trying to expand her performing career into other areas of The Show Biz, like a few others had done successfully, i.e., Enzio Pinza.

by Anonymousreply 267January 1, 2018 12:24 AM

R265, you should start a thread here to post your memories of 1970s New York, a topic of much interest on DL. I never could see the appeal, but threads about that era seem to be popular.

by Anonymousreply 268January 1, 2018 12:28 AM

I don’t think Patrice Munsel was broke. She lived at the top of one of the towers of the El Dorado on CPW, until she died, I think.

by Anonymousreply 269January 1, 2018 12:45 AM

MARGO???

MAME???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270January 1, 2018 12:47 AM

Interesting timing for the thread. This afternoon I was watching the good version of Oceans 11 and happened to notice Patrice Munsel was one of the featured acts named on one of the casinos Frank, Dean, and Sammy were about to knock over. Seeing it I knew the name but otherwise wondered what she looked like.

by Anonymousreply 271January 1, 2018 12:58 AM

R195 Do you think Lauren Bacall (aka Betty Backle) looks Oriental?

She did have those heavy upper eyelids— just like Charlotte Rampling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272January 1, 2018 12:58 AM

Oriental?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273January 1, 2018 1:01 AM

[quote] Oriental?

The delicate, some say the flowerlike...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274January 1, 2018 1:05 AM

I saw that same Applause tour with Munsel, and I thought Pia Zadora was AWFUL. She got raked over the coals in the local review.

by Anonymousreply 275January 1, 2018 1:21 AM

R273 "The Shanghai gesture" by Von Sternberg, the 'liebermeister' who named Dietrich as 'Shanghai Lil'

by Anonymousreply 276January 1, 2018 1:36 AM

Well to each their own, r275. I thought she was wonderful. Maybe she varied night to night.

Meanwhile,maybe Frankel and Korie can write a musical about Bacall and Ono to star Patti and Lea S. "Dakota War"

by Anonymousreply 277January 1, 2018 1:38 AM

There was a guy here a few years ago who posted about either Bacall or someone she was with dropping a cell phone while exiting or entering a car in NYC. He picked it up (or started to) to hand it to her and she got huffy about it.

And another got her to autograph a copy of her book and she bellowed “Don’t smear!” in reference to the pen or marker she signed it with. Perhaps these were the same poster, but if he/she/they are still around, please come back and tell the stories!

by Anonymousreply 278January 1, 2018 1:43 AM

Anything goes with our Patrice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279January 1, 2018 1:46 AM

"My voice is my career — that's why I smoke Camels!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280January 1, 2018 1:48 AM

Who do you think you are, R262? Lauren Bacall?

by Anonymousreply 281January 1, 2018 2:41 AM

A "journalist" who interviewed Bacall called Nicole Kidman "a screen legend?" I'm surprised Bacall, who was married to one of the greatest screen legends of all time and was considered one herself, didn't laugh in his or her face. Nicole Kidman a "screen legend", my ass!

by Anonymousreply 282January 1, 2018 2:52 AM

R282, read R99. You will find what you seek.

by Anonymousreply 283January 1, 2018 2:57 AM

Oh my God, r280! Nadine Connor! I haven't thought about her in decades!

The Met's best "house soprano" is the glorious Dorothy Kirsten, who had a fine if not major voice but brilliant technique and could act rings around any other performer. Met regulars of a certain age treasured her performances. I think she still has the house record for performing 30 or so seasons.

by Anonymousreply 284January 1, 2018 3:01 AM

To be honest, in addition to Binoche, Barbara Hershey and Marianne Jean-Baptiste gave superior performances to Bacall that year.

by Anonymousreply 285January 1, 2018 3:01 AM

Threads like this is why I love the DL so much. A summary poem: An only child raised on the edge of poverty who strikes it big, only to become an entitled prig. The Academy finally gave her an Honorary Oscar not long before her death. I'm glad they have Honorary Oscars. Something else I found out this weekend on the DL. Steven Speilberg bought Joan Crawford's, "Mildred Pierce" Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 286January 1, 2018 3:02 AM

She had Flavvah!

by Anonymousreply 287January 1, 2018 3:02 AM

The Original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288January 1, 2018 3:36 AM

Supassed by the adorable James, who grew up to be a DL poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289January 1, 2018 3:37 AM

Bacall should have won the Oscar because she was Lauren Bacall. The Academy has done that frequently; given an Oscar to someone in honor of their entire career, not just that one performance. They gave an Oscar to John Wayne for precisely that reason. The year he was nominated the other nominees were Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman for "Midnight Cowboy", Peter O'Toole for "Goodbye Mr. Chips", Richard Burton for "Anne of A Thousand Days." Wayne was nominated for "True Grit", in which he played a variation of all the John Wayne characters he'd played throughout his career. The other actors were more deserving, but he won because he was a screen legend who hasn't won an Oscar, so he was given one for being John Wayne. It should have been so for Lauren Bacall, too. People were amazed that Juliette Binoche won; somebody said that everybody he knew voted for Bacall, so the win was a bizarre upset.

by Anonymousreply 290January 1, 2018 3:38 AM

fantastic r289

by Anonymousreply 291January 1, 2018 3:43 AM

There was a difference. People working in the film industry liked John Wayne. Lauren Bacall had shit on so many people in the industry, that no one wanted to give her anything.

by Anonymousreply 292January 1, 2018 3:44 AM

"You will find what you seek."

What is there to "seek", cunty? All that's there is snarky commentary from a besotted Nicole Kidman fan who sounds like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 293January 1, 2018 3:45 AM

[quote] somebody said that everybody he knew voted for Bacall, so the win was a bizarre upset.

I remember seeing a film clip of David Niven who won the Best Actor Oscar in 1959 for "Separate Tables" talking about the lead up to the Oscar show.

He talked about running into people before the night and he said everyone (Academy members) who he met, gestured to him by acting how they voted for him on their ballot. He thought, "Hey, this is great, all these people voted for me."

But then he ran into someone else who was nominated (presumably in a different category) and Niven found himself gesturing to the person that he (Niven) had voted for them. The problem was that Niven had NOT voted for that person.

He then realized that he could not believe all those people who had indicated they had voted for him.

by Anonymousreply 294January 1, 2018 3:46 AM

I believe when John Wayne won for "True Grit" the news of his termianl cancer diagnosis was already out there. The academy voters knew this was his last hurrah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295January 1, 2018 3:59 AM

[quote]R265 But that was many years ago -- I doubt that anyone would know.

Hey, don't I know you, Mister?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296January 1, 2018 4:05 AM

Lauren Bacall was no John Wayne! John Wayne was Hollywood's most legendary cowboy and still in the industry when he won.

by Anonymousreply 297January 1, 2018 4:11 AM

[quote]R288 The Original.

Back it up...

[italic] No one [/quote]sells a jar of freeze dried instant coffe like me, beyotch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298January 1, 2018 4:15 AM

BTW, Emma Stone quotes Bacall's cheesy High Point decafinated coffee commercial from R288 in this scene from CRAZY STUPID LOVE:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299January 1, 2018 4:26 AM

Bacall really was a lousy singer, but she had star power, which is definitely more than I can say for most of the people on Broadway these days. They can all act a little, sing a little, and dance a little, but none of them are truly brilliant at any of them. They're all so bland and boring. There's no excitement.

Hell, I miss the days of people like Bacall, Carol Channing, Elaine Stritch, Rex Harrison, etc. starring in musicals. I'd rather someone speak sing and act the role than hear some empty mezzo soprano theatre student jazz hand her way through it. It seems like the only time really interesting actors are used in Broadway musicals are when they revive a Sondheim piece.

by Anonymousreply 300January 1, 2018 5:25 AM

Those coffee commercials doomed Patricia Neal's marriage. A female wardrobe assistant named Felicity Crosland was assigned to Neal to help her chose apparel for those commercials. They became chummy and Neal brought her home to meet the family. BIG mistake. Her awful husband Roald Dahl supposedly took one look at Crosland (who had the face of a witch but was much younger) and wanted to hump her. Crosland did her best to ingratiate herself into Neal's family, showering her kids with gifts and attention and indeed doing the same with Neal. Although it was evident to all that Crosland and Dahl had very, very affectionate feelings towards each other, Neal was totally oblivious, probably due to the fact that she was continuing to recover from a series of strokes that crippled her and almost killed her. Eventually she did come to realize that her dear friend and her husband had been boinking each other right under her nose. The affair cooled after that, but Dahl eventually started the affair back up again and Neal finally knew it was over between them. He married his mistress and they remained married until his death. Crosland seems to be trying to shore up her late husband's nasty reputation. He didn't give a fuck about racial issues but she put forth the notion that he wanted Charlie in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" to be a black boy, but was prevented from doing that by his publisher. What hogwash.

by Anonymousreply 301January 1, 2018 5:35 AM

The great tragedy of Dahl’s life was that his father didn’t know how to spell Ronald.

by Anonymousreply 302January 1, 2018 5:51 AM

Did Bacall get a Clio Award for her superb voice work with Fancy Feast - or did Binoche steal that one away from her, too?

by Anonymousreply 303January 1, 2018 11:45 AM

I wanted to post that Emma Stone impression of LB too. Couldnt believe it when i saw it. Writer must have been a DLer

by Anonymousreply 304January 1, 2018 12:55 PM

Bacall was friends with Judy Garland, which makes her OK!

by Anonymousreply 305January 1, 2018 12:56 PM

R301 what was the time frame of this? Neal was recovered from her strokes in the late 60s. Yet Dahl and Neal divorced in 83.

by Anonymousreply 306January 1, 2018 1:03 PM

R295 Wayne won in 1970. He died in 1979. His health may not have been the best in 1970 but terminal cancer doesn’t last as long as nine years before killing you. His winning would’ve happened anyway regardless of any health issues.

by Anonymousreply 307January 1, 2018 1:14 PM

Met her several times over the years and she was charming at each encounter. A book signing for By Myself, a book signing for Now, a fundraiser for PEN and an after party for Lenny Bernstein's 70th at Tanglewood.

by Anonymousreply 308January 1, 2018 1:19 PM

Someone please start a David Niven thread. He socialized with everyone in Hollywood and Switzerland, wrote several books that could be excerpted, had a huge penis, and was married to a horrible shrew whom even Bacall called wretched.

by Anonymousreply 309January 1, 2018 1:31 PM

Oh, my!

"In the fuggy picture-palaces of my teens, the oleaginous charm of David Niven left me cold. He seemed to have been short-changed in the sex appeal stakes, all flashing gnashers and no smouldering promise. How wrong I was. As Niven's biographer, Graham Lord, here reveals - and there is no delicate way of putting this - "The width of his member was something to behold . . . a penis of that immensity absolutely staggers you."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310January 1, 2018 2:26 PM

I'm shocked. David Niven did not have a BDF, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 311January 1, 2018 2:31 PM

R294 It was Rosalind Russell for "Auntie Mame." Niven had voted for Susan Hayward (the winner) for "I Want to Live!" Russell's last nomination and a performance to cherish, but no one was gonna keep Susie from her Oscar--"No dice!"

by Anonymousreply 312January 1, 2018 3:53 PM

"What was the time frame of this? Neal was recovered from her strokes in the late 60s. Yet Dahl and Neal divorced in 83."

The affair Dahl had with Felicity Crosland started in the 70s. Neal's recovery from the strokes was a lifelong process; she was well enough to perform but was still recuperating from such a catastrophic health crisis. As she said "I could do anything....with help."

by Anonymousreply 313January 1, 2018 4:10 PM

R309, I’ve bumped the thread below for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314January 1, 2018 4:17 PM

R88, I remember The English Patient and I'm sure many others do as well. It was a fantastic film and worthy of all the awards it won that year.

by Anonymousreply 315January 1, 2018 5:01 PM

Patricia Neal came across as a lovely and thoroughly decent person in an old interview I saw on TCM— whatever did she see in Roald Dahl? He seems to have been an absolute bastard. It’s strange how good people often end up with monsters. Dahl should have joined forces with Bacall although I guess his anti-Semitism would have prevented such an unholy union.

by Anonymousreply 316January 1, 2018 5:14 PM

Patricia Neal always seemed depressed or depressing regardless of her stroke status. The English Patient was the worst sort of Oscarbait boredom. Elaine Benes had the right idea.

by Anonymousreply 317January 1, 2018 5:41 PM

Is this VPL on David Niven?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318January 1, 2018 6:05 PM

Bacall, upstaged in her own thread by David Niven's dick.

Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 319January 1, 2018 6:09 PM

In one of her books, Joan Rivers recounts that every time she met Lauren Bacall, Bacall would not recall (or just pretend?) not meeting Joan before.

by Anonymousreply 320January 1, 2018 6:16 PM

Didn't Patrice Munsel end up doing Ms. Dixie Wetsworth on MadTV in the Cabana Boy skit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321January 1, 2018 6:18 PM

Another Patrice moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 1, 2018 6:19 PM

R320, Rivers also said that about Raquel Welch. Maybe they just didn't want to be seen with the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 323January 1, 2018 6:26 PM

R164 had the winning description.

by Anonymousreply 324January 1, 2018 8:06 PM

R301 Those coffee commercials doomed Patricia Neal's marriage. A female wardrobe assistant named Felicity Crosland was assigned to Neal to help her chose apparel for those commercials.

Yes.

Patricia Neal's autobiography AS I AM was very interesting. She says when she learned of the affair, she took the (very expensive) silk dress Crosland provided for the commercial and dramatically burned it in the back yard. She said, "It was a stupid thing to do. No one cared. And it was a great dress."

She took the infidelity very hard and, as she was a dramatic type, she kind of went over the edge. (Not that I blame her!) One of her small children picked up on the tension and asked what was going on, and she yelled, "Your daddy's fucking someone else!"

Maybe she'd have found solace amongst her own kind, here at DL...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325January 1, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote] whatever did she see in Roald Dahl? He seems to have been an absolute bastard. It’s strange how good people often end up with monsters.

Apparently he was quite magnetic. Tall. Intelligent. She was feeling vulnerable after breaking up with the married Gary Cooper (the love of her life), and regretted having an abortion for him. Dahl proposed marriage on their second date or something, and her film career had fizzled out...though she had just returned to Broadway. She also very much wanted to start a family and have children. (She was 25 at the time...which was starting to get up there for a first-time mom in that day and age.) Basically, I think he was just kind of in the right place at the right time?

I think she was vulnerable, and in transition. He must have had some redeaming qualities, as she didn't want a divorce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326January 1, 2018 8:42 PM

redeeming qualities = tired out old cliche

by Anonymousreply 327January 1, 2018 8:54 PM

It is strange that Patricia Neal married Dahl, or that he married her, for that matter. They had absolutely nothing in common. But she was a very attractive movie star and I guess he was intrigued by her. She was in a vulnerable place at that time; her affair with Gary Cooper had ended (she considered him the great love of her life) and was trying to recover from that. She was dating a nice man, and then met Dahl at a party. She considered him very rude, but he called her and kept after her to go out with them and she finally did. He had good qualities; he was tall, intelligent, cultured, could be on occasion very charming and was a promising writer. She saw pictures of his family's children and found them beautiful. They both wanted to get married and have children. He proposed to her and she figured he would be a good choice of husband, charming, witty, would probably produce "beautiful babies", etc. But even before they married she got very cold feet and almost broke it off, but didn't. She should have married the nice man she was dating before hooking up with Dahl. Marrying him was really a bad call.

by Anonymousreply 328January 1, 2018 9:06 PM

I know you will all find this hard to believe but one of Patricia Neal's first notable jobs in the theater was as understudy on the original national tour of The Voice of the Turtle and she came into prominence when she replaced the star of the tour who was none other than DL's very own Vivian Vance, who lost a battle with stage fright that debilitized her for several years.

Viv finally returned to the theater by starring in another production of The Voice of the Turtle at La Jolla Playhouse and that's where Desi Arnaz discovered his Ethel Mertz.

Now, back to Betty Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 329January 2, 2018 12:53 AM

When I was a wee gayling I served as an apprentice at a New England summer stock theater that hosted a touring production of I Do! I Do! which starred Patrice Munsel ALONE above the title and costarred handsome gay Kerwin Matthews as her husband, below the title.

We apprentices waited every night for Patrice to wail out What Is a Woman? like a crazed vampire.

by Anonymousreply 330January 2, 2018 12:56 AM

Did Munsel ever have a good voice?

by Anonymousreply 331January 2, 2018 1:29 AM

She sang "around the campfire" for the Campfire Girls.

by Anonymousreply 332January 2, 2018 1:51 AM

Robert Blake once said Munsel sang the way Ava Gardner looks.

by Anonymousreply 333January 2, 2018 1:54 AM

Robert Blake is a mentally ill drug addict.

by Anonymousreply 334January 2, 2018 1:55 AM

Apt, R334.

by Anonymousreply 335January 2, 2018 1:58 AM

Any Kerwin Matthews stories r330?

He was one of my earliest masturbation fantasies. I wish I'd known he was gay, didn't find out until his obituary.

by Anonymousreply 336January 2, 2018 2:01 AM

Sorry, no Kerwin stories. I remember him as an amiable and handsome fellow, nothing much more about him or his performance.

I didn't know he was gay back then, barely knew that I was. This was 1970! I fondly recalled him from a favorite childhood movie The 7th Voyage of Sinbad the Sailor but I can only think he didn't hang around much when he wasn't performing or I surely would have chatted him up about that movie.

by Anonymousreply 337January 2, 2018 2:11 AM

Did I overlook it or has no one mentioned Bacall was also a homophobic cunt?

She told off Harvey Fierstein at the Tonys or some awards show for thanking his boyfriend. Quelle scandale! A gay man in theater! He told her to piss off.

by Anonymousreply 338January 2, 2018 3:48 AM

Well she was friends with my gay friend which is how I met her a few times. Harvey Fierstein and Lauren Bacall = two abrasive cunts so I'm not surprised she clawed at him.

by Anonymousreply 339January 2, 2018 3:52 AM

Sorry R339 but she was way off base.

As for your friend, lots of homophobic cunts are polite to underlings.

by Anonymousreply 340January 2, 2018 4:01 AM

I dont defend her bitching about Fierstein but she was not a vicious homophobe. Also my friend is worth half a billion dollars and Bacall was below him socially.

by Anonymousreply 341January 2, 2018 4:12 AM

R341, if your friend is worth half a billion and Bacall was below him socially, that makes perfect sense why she wouldn't be a vicious homophobe to him.

by Anonymousreply 342January 2, 2018 4:16 AM

R341

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343January 2, 2018 4:16 AM

R338, She was probably one of those old school liberals who was accepting of gays as long as they didn't make a public display of it. She was a friend of Rock and Roddy, so she had no problems with being around gays.

by Anonymousreply 344January 2, 2018 4:22 AM

She looks fantastic in that Dame Edna clip--she was in her 60s I'd guess?

by Anonymousreply 345January 2, 2018 4:42 AM

At the stage door of The Colonial Theatre in Boston where Waiting in the Wings previewed, there was a large white van for transporting the large female cast back to their hotel and also an awaiting limousine for Miss Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 346January 2, 2018 5:05 AM

"She was probably one of those old school liberals who was accepting of gays as long as they didn't make a public display of it." = homophobe who thinks being gay shouldn't be discussed

by Anonymousreply 347January 2, 2018 5:06 AM

[quote] there was a large white van for transporting the large female cast

Big through the hips? Roomy?

by Anonymousreply 348January 2, 2018 5:35 AM

Dahl may have been a bastard, but without his involvement with her rehab, she wouldn't have come back.

Neal and Bacall vie for Cooper in "Bright Leaf." Bacall had the more interesting role of a madam, which Neal felt that she, as the better actress, should have had.

by Anonymousreply 349January 2, 2018 5:36 AM

Lauren Bacall may have been a cunt but Rosemary Harris was no walk in the park.

by Anonymousreply 350January 2, 2018 2:06 PM

Girls, girl. You were ALL impossible to work with!

by Anonymousreply 351January 2, 2018 2:22 PM

All your pussies stank. At least with Bacall, it was masked by the Viceroy cigarettes, at least until the late 80's.

by Anonymousreply 352January 2, 2018 2:28 PM

R241, that story makes her losing the Oscar al the funnier.

by Anonymousreply 353January 2, 2018 2:52 PM

R346, Miss Bacall was known to send that limo away and demand another if she did not like the color of the car.

The entire company traveled to Boston for that tryout on a catered motor coach. Miss Bacall demanded that the producers lay out for a limo to drive her to Boston privately. Miss Bacall don't do busses.

by Anonymousreply 354January 2, 2018 3:17 PM

r282 Bacall didn't laugh at the interviewer, but launched her usual attack when GMTV's Jenni Falconer asked Bacall a seemingly innocuous question. "And now you've worked alongside another screen legend, Nicole Kidman ... " she began. Interrupting her in mid-sentence, Bacall snapped: "She's not a legend. She's a beginner. What is this 'legend?' She can't be a legend at whatever age she is. She can't be a legend - you have to be older."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355January 2, 2018 3:30 PM

I agree with her about Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 356January 2, 2018 3:34 PM

Substitute Nicole Kidman with Joyce DeWitt and Miss Bacall would had to have kept her mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 357January 2, 2018 4:21 PM

Kerwin Matthews and his long.........................

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358January 2, 2018 4:28 PM

I agree with Lauren Bacall too, regarding Nicole Kidman. That interviewer was vacuous. it was such a stupid comment about Nicole Kidman being a legend.

by Anonymousreply 359January 2, 2018 4:39 PM

Of course LB was right. The problem is that she reacted in a rude obnoxious fashion. That's why she came across wrong and cunty.

by Anonymousreply 360January 2, 2018 5:03 PM

r360, do you honestly think Davis, Crawford, Stanwyck or Hepburn (either one) would have reacted any more politely if an interviewer referred to Nicole Kidman as a legend? The interviewer was an idiot and deserved to be put in her place.

Like Bacall or not, she was truly a legend and lived and worked among legends.

by Anonymousreply 361January 2, 2018 6:57 PM

If she hadn't married Bogie, would anyone even remember who she was?

by Anonymousreply 362January 2, 2018 7:04 PM

That reminds me of when that geezer asshole, Andy Rooney, was reviewing a book called "Stars" on 60 Minutes in the 1970s. He was complaining, naturally, that most of the people represented were not really "stars." Elizabeth Taylor, Rooney says "I'm afraid not." (LOL) As for Barbra Streisand, he says, "I'm afraid so."

by Anonymousreply 363January 2, 2018 7:05 PM

R362, I knew Bacall as an actress for years when I was a kid in the 1960s watching her old movies on TV - How to Marry a Millionaire, Young Man with a Horn, Blood Alley, Shock Treatment, etc., and I found she was an attractive, unique and very appealing presence with a great voice. I wanted very badly to get tickets to see her in Applause (which I didn't). Only LATER did I learn she had been married to Bogart.

She may have been the bitchiest of bitches, but she would be remembered Bogart or not. In fact, I find her acting when she was young to be very amateurish compared to what she did later.

by Anonymousreply 364January 2, 2018 7:13 PM

If Bogart had lived longer, I think she would’ve been much less difficult. He would have laid down the law and would’ve told her to stop being such a bitch. Likely, when Bogart was alive, she was on her best behavior.

by Anonymousreply 365January 2, 2018 8:38 PM

She should've married a tough guy after Bogie, like Ben Gazzara. From Roddy's home movies, it looks like they traveled in the same circles. He would've put her in her place but good.

by Anonymousreply 366January 2, 2018 9:13 PM

Here you go, r332. Sing Woheelo, dude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367January 2, 2018 11:07 PM

R366, Ben Gazzara? She probably fucked him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368January 2, 2018 11:15 PM

Lauren can't even fill up one thread. Hah!

by Anonymousreply 369January 2, 2018 11:23 PM

Binoche is a goddess and, whether you like the movie or not, was brilliant in The English Patient. I always assumed she would win.

by Anonymousreply 370January 2, 2018 11:31 PM

The English Patient is orange tinted treacle. I was offended by the kitschiness of that movie.

by Anonymousreply 371January 3, 2018 2:03 AM

I agree, Juliette Binoche was brilliant in The English Patient and deserved the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 372January 3, 2018 2:20 AM

Boogie was so whipped. He wouldn't have put Lauren in any kind of place.

by Anonymousreply 373January 3, 2018 2:21 AM

[quote]The Kim Stanley vs Barbara Bel Geddes Troll

OMG! How I adored those Kim Stanley -Barbara Bel Geddes bitch fights! DL at its finest.

by Anonymousreply 374January 3, 2018 2:22 AM

Who would win in a cunt off? Lucile Ball or Lauren Bacall?

by Anonymousreply 375January 3, 2018 2:25 AM

Lauren and Debbie.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376January 3, 2018 2:35 AM

OP, why do you think she had to switch to Highpoint? Caffeine made her a raving bitch!

by Anonymousreply 377January 3, 2018 2:37 AM

She might not have been one of the greatest actresses but she was absolutely one of the greatest female stars of her time. I’d rank her in the top 10.

by Anonymousreply 378January 3, 2018 2:40 AM

Looking a bit mannish after birth of third child....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379January 3, 2018 2:46 AM

I love Lauren Bacall as a star. I’m glad I never met her.

by Anonymousreply 380January 3, 2018 2:50 AM

Lauren Bacall had a huge personal triumph as the star of Cactus Flower on Broadway. It was that success that really allowed her to think of herself as a real actress and as a comedienne.

Do you think she was upset that Ingrid Bergman did the movie?

by Anonymousreply 381January 3, 2018 2:52 AM

"I'm very happy for Ingrid. I've been a fan of hers since I was a little girl. On stage, I could get away with playing an older woman, but the camera never lies, and I'd look like a kid wearing mommy's clothes. Ingrid was the right choice."

by Anonymousreply 382January 3, 2018 2:58 AM

I don't know r381, ask r376....

by Anonymousreply 383January 3, 2018 2:58 AM

The booze and the cigarettes really took a toll on Bacall's looks. She was beautiful in the 1940s, but beginning in the mid-50s, she was more properly described as a "handsome" woman.

by Anonymousreply 384January 4, 2018 12:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385January 4, 2018 12:21 AM

She ALWAYS look good, R385, until she hit 50.

by Anonymousreply 386January 4, 2018 12:36 AM

Be a little kinder r384. How about the term "weathered beauty"?

by Anonymousreply 387January 4, 2018 1:55 AM

That clip way up thread from The Fan is all kinds of wrong. What kind of obsessed fan arrives late for his beloved's show, is allowed to go to his seat without an usher in the middle of a number, and disturb the people around him without a peep?! You can just imagine the real Lauren making a fuss about this impertinence!

by Anonymousreply 388January 4, 2018 1:12 PM

Is that all there is?

by Anonymousreply 389January 6, 2018 1:19 AM

Dame Edna makes a pointed remark about Bacall and Boots' Brand Haemorrhoid Cream at 13.30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390January 13, 2018 9:55 AM

If she enjoys programming in C# on Windows NT, then that’s none of your business, OP.

by Anonymousreply 391January 13, 2018 10:09 AM

I heard that her kids had her body shipped to CA for a Forest Lawn burial, but not with Bogart. Can anyone confirm that?

by Anonymousreply 392January 13, 2018 1:42 PM

I can't confirm who shipped her, but it appears she got shipped.

Lucky woman. If she had been dumped in an alley for the rats to eat, NO ONE in show biz would have objected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393January 13, 2018 1:46 PM

Shades of Selma Blair.

by Anonymousreply 394January 13, 2018 2:10 PM

"So Lauren Bacall me" in Evita--that dd it!

by Anonymousreply 395March 14, 2018 2:36 AM

Did she really smoke Viceroys? Those cigs were strong as hell, like smoking road tar. Amazing she lived as long as she did.

by Anonymousreply 396March 14, 2018 2:44 AM

My friend worked with her near the end of her life. First phone conversation ended with him hanging up on her because she was being a cunt. He called her back an hour later and she apologized. After that, they got along swell. When she took her vacation from Woman of the Year she hated that Welch was coming in since she was pushing for her pal Dina Merrill who would have sold about 5 tickets. Since Betty was fucking Harry Guardino, her WOTY leading man, she insisted that he go on vacation, too and his understudy played opposite Welch who everyone knew would come back as the permanent replacement assuming she did well. And she did. And the show was a hit with her.

by Anonymousreply 397March 14, 2018 2:52 AM

[quote] R388 That clip way up thread from The Fan is all kinds of wrong. What kind of obsessed fan arrives late for his beloved's show, is allowed to go to his seat without an usher in the middle of a number, and disturb the people around him without a peep?! You can just imagine the real Lauren making a fuss about this impertinence!

To say nothing of Miss Patti Lupone ! ! !

by Anonymousreply 398March 14, 2018 2:54 AM

I mentioned the novel PIECE OF WORK in my OP, which has conversations and behaviors in it the author (Laura Zigman) had with Bacall while traveling together to promote the star's second (I think) autobiography. The character is really classifiably insane...an utterly cruel and emotionally unaware narcicist. It's interesting because people (like in R397) will say "Bacall was acting like a cunt," but you don't get to judge what she was actually doing or saying.

But she had to have been completely self-deluded (or else she decided long ago that you could just spew out any untruth you liked, when doing PR). In the interview below, she just outright rejects the rumors that she's "tough" in any way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOST: There are folks that have refered to you as a 'tough cookie.' Does that bother you?

BACALL: Yes it does bother me. It bothers me because it isn't true. And it bothers me because I think judgements are made too quickly by people for superficial reasons, and not because, err...it doesn't seem to me that those judgements are fair. I don't think anyone has the right to say, just by looking at you, that you are this that or the other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What she's SIDESTEPPING, saying that, is that people don't say she's tough after merely LOOKING at her, but from meeting and WORKING with her (!) What a dufus bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399March 14, 2018 3:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!