Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How many of your friends have HIV?

I know three people and they talk about it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2018 5:06 AM

I have one who has been POS for the 20 years that I have known him and one who recently died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2017 9:31 PM

I knew one guy but he moved away, he was sweet but kept trying to get me to have a three way with him and his partner.

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2017 9:31 PM

None

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2017 9:37 PM

Two are very open about it. I suspect at least two others.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2017 9:49 PM

Eldergay, here. I quit counting when it got to 250 dead friends, acquaintances and co-workers. But that was five years before the anti-viral cocktail debuted. Today, I have no idea what percentage of friends my own age are poz, but it is significant

by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2017 10:03 PM

debuted? Lol.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2017 10:11 PM

What do they say about it, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2017 10:14 PM

I don't know any, but I have to live next door to some dreadful hillbillies. Frankly, I think I have it worse

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2017 10:27 PM

R8 thanks! that was a good laugh !

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2017 12:52 AM

Hillbillies with HIV are the Worst!

by Anonymousreply 10December 23, 2017 3:48 AM

For me, the question should be "how many of your former friends have HIV?" Three. Shortly after each one told me, the relationship changed. I think they all thought I would say, "oh, I have it too," and I might, but I just never had the annoying health issues that they do so I never got tested.

Anyway, with all them, shortly after their diagnosis, they all turned to something else: drugs, ARV, lots of bareback sex, and other HIV people that can relate, and I got left behind.

by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2017 7:22 AM

R11, were these long-term friends up to that point?

I'm in NYC, so had a few friends /acquaintances years ago who died of AIDS. At this point, not that I know of.

by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2017 7:36 AM

None.

by Anonymousreply 13December 28, 2017 7:54 AM

r12, the shortest was 5 years, and the longest was 10. One told me in 1998 when the ARVs were around, the other two told me in 2005.

by Anonymousreply 14December 28, 2017 9:07 AM

Against all odds, my life is surprisingly unmarked by HIV.

I don't live in the city any more, and now have just one friend who's positive. She's a childhood friend who's late husband was an IV drug user. She's had it for about 25 years, I think.

by Anonymousreply 15December 28, 2017 9:27 AM

What I wonder about are all those who got toxic hazard symbol tattoos when it was edgy, but now that it's a manageable disease, would seem lamer than a celtic knot or barbed wire tattooed arm band.

Is a lot of laser removal happening do you think?

by Anonymousreply 16December 28, 2017 9:36 AM

HIV is the one thing that has made me paranoid and ill at ease with gay sex my whole life. I hate that it makes me fear being totally relaxed when with a guy. It's a hang up I find hard to shake.

by Anonymousreply 17December 28, 2017 9:37 AM

I’m poz in SF and I still am shocked by how few people I know that are open about it. About 5 for sure, plus maybe 3 more from friends telling me about them.

by Anonymousreply 18December 28, 2017 10:55 AM

Only one who is still alive. But people don't talk about it now the way we once did.

by Anonymousreply 19December 28, 2017 11:05 AM

R5 ... 5 years ago? Have you been in a coma, as this has existed for a long time! Mary!

by Anonymousreply 20December 28, 2017 11:44 AM

He said "five years before," r20, not "five years ago."

by Anonymousreply 21December 28, 2017 11:45 AM

Oops, my bad, sorry R5 !!

by Anonymousreply 22December 28, 2017 11:50 AM

A few. We don't talk about it, but we don't not talk about it.

They have it, just like a few of my friends have diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 23December 28, 2017 11:57 AM

And one of my friends has lived with it for over 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 24December 28, 2017 11:58 AM

I'm the same was R17, I have this kind of weird almost distrust of other gay men because of my fears, I also had a cousin who died of AIDS when I was a kid, everyone loved him and how fun a guy he was but after he died, it was like the entire family just started pretending like he'd never existed.

by Anonymousreply 25December 28, 2017 1:46 PM

Diabetes is in no way like AIDS, R23, but you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 26December 28, 2017 1:57 PM

[quote] I’m poz in SF and I still am shocked by how few people I know that are open about it. About 5 for sure, plus maybe 3 more from friends telling me about them.

In L.A., same here. I know one person who has disclosed his status. I know/suspect some of my other friends have it but they have never admitted it. I am HIV negative. These are genuine platonic friends, not former fuckbuddies, we talk about everything but not a peep about HIV status. We are all @50 years old. HIV will probably not kill any of them; any one of us could drop dead from anything else at any moment. The stigma we came of age with is still overpowering.

by Anonymousreply 27December 28, 2017 1:57 PM

R26 In many people, the maintenance of the chronic condition IS similar.

If you aren't smart enough to understand that, please don't speak, now or ever, about this topic.

by Anonymousreply 28December 28, 2017 8:24 PM

I often forget I am!. I am celibate and old and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 29December 28, 2017 8:36 PM
by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2018 10:52 PM

Most of them, I guess, but nobody ever mentions it because it's BORING, OP.

You take the pill, get your checkup, rinse and repeat.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2018 10:58 PM

"In many people, the maintenance of the chronic condition IS similar."

How is the maintenance of HIV similar to that of diabetes? Seems to me it would be very different.

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2018 11:04 PM

Two of my friends are poz. Another friend is type 1 diabetic. In terms of manageability, being diabetic is a LOT more intrusive and deadly. Poz people who don't recognize this are selfish cunts. They generally tend to know that though.

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2018 11:07 PM

All of them

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2018 1:01 AM

Diabetes is a much harder condition to treat--pills, eating well, keeping your weight down.

Nowadays, hiv treatment just seems to be a few pills a day. Some have side effects from the pills though.

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2018 1:13 AM

Diabetes is not possible to spread via sexual contact. The idea that HIV is a 'manageable disease just like diabetes' is a dangerous lie.

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2018 1:18 AM

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2018 1:22 AM

Diabetes is worse than AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2018 1:24 AM

I once had an HIV+ roommate. He claimed he disclosed his status to all of his sex partners which I found hard to believe because his bedroom essentially had a revolving door with a new guy coming in every single day. I think if he was truly disclosing, his partners wouldn't have been quite so plentiful (this was back before prep). It actually made me dislike him after a while knowing he was putting these guys at risk & I even thought about asking some of them, "Did he tell you he's HIV+?" just to catch him in his lie.

by Anonymousreply 39January 13, 2018 3:10 AM

NEarly all of them

by Anonymousreply 40January 13, 2018 3:27 AM

That would be a big Zero, OP, as in None.

by Anonymousreply 41January 13, 2018 3:33 AM

2 ex ( s)... One old friend that has full blown AIDS, in addition to liver disease (from early drugs), diabetes, and Kaposi's sarcoma. One lucky ex continues to have undetectable viral load, despite no drug regimen. I have since heard the one ex has passed recently, but no confirmation yet.

by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2018 3:38 AM

One

by Anonymousreply 43January 13, 2018 3:40 AM

Thx R29, I need to remin myself that I'm old (er), yet healthy.... AND sadly celibate. Grateful to have my health, and escaped HIV, despite the two poz previous partners.

by Anonymousreply 44January 13, 2018 3:42 AM

I have both HIV AND diabetes. If I had to choose, I’d rather just have the HIV. I’m open about the HIV, but only obnoxiously talk about the diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 45January 13, 2018 3:48 AM

"Nowadays, hiv treatment just seems to be a few pills a day. Some have side effects from the pills though."

Oh yeah, having HIV is a walk in the park. You just pop a few pills a day, and voila, you're right as rain! So bareback away, folks! Oh my Lord, you are such an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2018 3:49 AM

R17, I share your trepidation, one of the reasons I am currently celibate.... Waiting for the right guy again, I suppose. It's much easier to chose this path when one is older though; I don't recommend it for everyone. After getting lucky twice escaping sharing my exes + status twice, don't care to fuq around and take chances.... Not worth it to me simply...

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2018 3:49 AM

About half of my friends are.....it's talked about when it's relevant. It really is not a huge deal as long as you do what your doctors tell you to do. I say this as someone who who has been poz for 18 years and has been on meds off and on for 15 (medication holiday during a time when i had no coverage and was in ok enough health that my doctor at the time was ok with me doing it for two years). I know people who are not especially compliant (they are maybe 75% of the time) and are undetectable as well. (I have been undetectable since a medication change in 2015, had been previously from 2004 - 2010). Seriously, follow what they tell you to do, take your meds, try to eat right and exercise, and it really is manageable.

Why so curious OP?

by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2018 4:16 AM

People seem to now think that undetectable means 'negative' or 'i don't have to disclose because i won't spread anything'.

Very scary. People who 'are not especially compliant' might be bouncing in and out of non-detectable status without knowing it.

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2018 12:19 AM

R11 shortly after their diagnosis, they all turned to something else: drugs, ARV, lots of bareback sex

Sad

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2018 12:21 AM

People posting here seem very cavalier about having HIV. Do people really think it's not a big deal anymore?

by Anonymousreply 51January 18, 2018 11:16 PM

I think it’s easy to say it’s not a big deal. I always thought it wasn’t. I had a scare and went on PEP... totally freaked out until the final tests came back negative. That experience changed my perspective.

by Anonymousreply 52January 18, 2018 11:41 PM

I have four friends and one of them is a woman.

by Anonymousreply 53January 19, 2018 12:08 AM

None of them.

by Anonymousreply 54January 19, 2018 2:06 AM

I had one but he kept trying to pressure me to have sex with him so it didn't work out.

by Anonymousreply 55January 19, 2018 5:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!