Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sister and niece are balking over traditional Xmas dinner

I planned to serve goose, as that's the traditional holiday meat, but they are having none of it. Just the latest example of their obstinacy and lack of regard for tradition (my niece especially in the latter case). My niece is also refusing to take her daughter to church with us on Xmas. She says she doesn't want to fill the girl's head with superstition. You can believe whatever you like, but civilized people go to church on Xmas and Easter. She's having none of it, however.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2018 10:39 PM

Maybe she doesn't want her daughter to hear the priest say her pervert uncle is going to cook in hell after he dies?

by Anonymousreply 1December 20, 2017 2:30 AM

Civilized people would never use the execrable Xmas. The word is Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 2December 20, 2017 2:31 AM

My sister's children cried at the table the year she got fancy and served goose. She didn't know goose is dark and oily until she served it that one time.

by Anonymousreply 3December 20, 2017 2:31 AM

You may think you have risen above your so obvious white trash roots but don’t expect your kinfolk to share your underserved lofty ideas.

by Anonymousreply 4December 20, 2017 2:33 AM

Boring! Where's the 18 year old nephew troll to spice this up?

by Anonymousreply 5December 20, 2017 2:35 AM

never ever eaten goose.....does not sound too yummy.

by Anonymousreply 6December 20, 2017 2:35 AM

Maybe your niece's daughter needs a new Easter bonnet?

by Anonymousreply 7December 20, 2017 2:38 AM

What's with the pervert comment? I find that very offensive in today's climate.

Easter bonnets are not worn on Xmas. Which is a perfectly acceptable abbreviation, by the way. And it doesn't matter if anyone thinks goose is "yummy." It's traditional and you cannot go against tradition. My sainted mother served it every year. My sister hates it and vowed never to eat it again after Mother died, but I'm trying to re-institute it this year.

by Anonymousreply 8December 20, 2017 2:43 AM

I am not fond of goose. Go to church your self although I can not see the reason for it...unless you just want to sing Christmas Carols which will probably not be allowed.

by Anonymousreply 9December 20, 2017 2:43 AM

You may need to try to compromise OP. If your niece at least dresses her daughter in properly polished Mary Janes and wears a starched pinafore, you may want to allow her absence from services. Besides, if she were not dressed appropriately in that way, wouldn't it be just mortifying to have the other parishioners witness her slouched with her poor posture in the pew, texting away and embarrassing you the entire time? Or perhaps you can convince your niece to allow her daughter to live-tweet the entire service, in the sake of anthropological interest.

by Anonymousreply 10December 20, 2017 2:45 AM

No r8. It’s not acceptable anywhere except your double wide and maybe your local liquor store ads. The civilized world abhors Xmas.

by Anonymousreply 11December 20, 2017 2:46 AM

Has your great niece spoiled herself by using tampons? How's Roemary?

by Anonymousreply 12December 20, 2017 2:47 AM

The only people I've ever heard complain about the use of Xmas are ignorant religious fanatics.

I haven't asked about the tampons. I'm sure my niece has given them to her, but at this point, I just don't want to know. It's too awful to think about.

by Anonymousreply 13December 20, 2017 2:57 AM

Goose has very little meat. I'd rather duck or a smoked turkey.

by Anonymousreply 14December 20, 2017 3:04 AM

Are you still in touch with your lady friend, OP? The one that asked you to perform cunnilingus son her?

by Anonymousreply 15December 20, 2017 3:11 AM

OP, I love tradition. I hate rigidity. I ask you to rethink the goose. It sounds horrible. Sauerbraten might be nice for a change. I’m sure it’s in somebody’s tradition.

by Anonymousreply 16December 20, 2017 3:12 AM

I always wonder if the OP really thinks his post is original or amusing.

by Anonymousreply 17December 20, 2017 3:14 AM

This sounds like fucking Frau problems. Why bring them to a gay board.

by Anonymousreply 18December 20, 2017 3:16 AM

[quote] civilized people go to church on Xmas and Easter.

No, freak. CHRISTIANS go to church on Xmas and Easter.

I'd hesitate to categorize any Christian as civilized. You sound a bit dense.

by Anonymousreply 19December 20, 2017 3:24 AM

Your niece will live a healthier life not believing in an invisible sky fairy. But feel free to tell them both they don't have to come if they don't like your menu.

by Anonymousreply 20December 20, 2017 4:45 AM

Goose? Do you live in 19th century London, OP?

by Anonymousreply 21December 20, 2017 4:55 AM

i knew "yummy" was gonna get a reaction.......no goose for me. or duck. or turkey....ho ho ho you dolt.

by Anonymousreply 22December 20, 2017 5:14 AM

My grandmother served goose one Christmas. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 23December 20, 2017 5:43 AM

Everyone in my family is dead except for one 2nd cousin, so I don’t have these problems to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 24December 20, 2017 6:00 AM

Why don’t you compromise, and bring the goose to church?

by Anonymousreply 25December 20, 2017 6:22 AM

Don't cook the goose. Goose the cook.

by Anonymousreply 26December 20, 2017 6:24 AM

Civilized people think for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 27December 20, 2017 6:37 AM

You have to do two dishes...think of your guests comfort.

by Anonymousreply 28December 20, 2017 6:54 AM

What kind of stuffing will you be making, OP? What is traditional for you? Sage and onion? Cornbread? Oyster stuffing? Mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes? The real delight is always in the details!

by Anonymousreply 29December 20, 2017 7:03 AM

[quote] traditional holiday meat

by Anonymousreply 30December 20, 2017 7:07 AM

Will you be serving port after dinner in your best Christmas caftan, OP?

by Anonymousreply 31December 20, 2017 8:03 AM

One simply must attend Christmas Services. And what would Jesus Birthday be without a Seared Goose on the Dining Table. One simply must have Goose. Simply. One Must.

by Anonymousreply 32December 20, 2017 8:15 AM

Dickens be damned. Goose is foul, gamey, oily and overall ghastly. Turkey and ham are both fine as traditional alternatives and of course you can actually have whatever pleases you and your guests, including Chinese Takeout. But Goose? Really? What's wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 33December 20, 2017 8:43 AM

No one has to be anywhere anymore. They may ditch you next week.

by Anonymousreply 34December 20, 2017 8:50 AM

Christmas is going to be so nice...filled with love. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 35December 20, 2017 8:51 AM

Good people are beautiful. On the inside. They see the magic in the world, not the ugliness that is all around them. God knows. Toodles!

by Anonymousreply 36December 20, 2017 8:58 AM

[quote]ignorant religious fanatics.

Redundant.

by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2018 5:52 PM

The third bad niece thread today. the other two have already been F/F'd

by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2018 6:31 PM

OP's niece is a cunt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2018 6:45 PM

Would a true Xtian say Xmas?

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2018 7:52 PM

I love mean uncle threads.

by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2018 10:33 PM

at least the uncle threads have that whiff of pedo -- to keep the crowds baying

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2018 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!