Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Advice/feedback on an issue in the workplace

I started this role (Office Coordinator) as a 4-month contract in March, covering a leave.

In June, they extended it until the end of the year.

In August, they had confirmation (or decided) the employee would not return, and offered me the role permanently. I turned it down. It wasn't personal; I just didn't want to be the office busboy again, and was ready to move on. My boss (the Director of HR) was shocked and told me how impressed the Leadership team was with me, and how much potential they saw in me, and would love to have me working in their Practice Groups. The Director also spoke of a potential entry-level position in HR and asked if I would be interested in it. I was, as that was the team I worked most closely with, and also I did HR in College (albeit twenty years ago). I agreed to stay on and see how my growth in the company would go.

Six weeks later, they hired an Intern for HR - without telling me first. When I questioned it, my boss assured me this was strictly a temp to cover another employee leave - I have proof that this is not true, and the candidate was offered an Internship-with-the-possibility-of-permanent role. I have no idea what happened in those six weeks, but decided to pursue some of the other leads my boss mentioned to me, and arranged meetings with two VPs.

The meetings were all positive - I asked about the skills and qualifications necessary to work in their Practice Groups, and how they would feel about me working more closely with their team to build upon a potential role. The feedback was extremely supportive and I did not get any hesitation or concerns from either VP; I approached my boss about it (she knew beforehand), and told her I would be willing to pay a temp to come in one day per week to cover my regular duties so I could work more closely with the aforementioned VPs Practice Groups', and her reaction was rather nonplussed and non-committal. I can see neither of those opportunities are going to happen, either.

So I am a bit stuck. I completely understand that there will be instances where an employee has ambitions beyond their capabilities - or when the firm isn't interested in seeing an employee grow beyond their current role - but these were roles my organization approached me about, not the other way around. Why did they present roles they had already decided I would not get? I have received no negative feedback, criticism, warnings or areas to develop or improve upon. The feedback I have received has been positive - almost gushing, and several employees confirmed I was the favourite (or perhaps I am very obtuse).

DL, what am I missing here?

by Anonymousreply 19January 5, 2018 6:40 AM

It's probably the reason why the person you were originally filling in for ended up not coming back. Sounds like bad leadership and major red flags.

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2017 10:42 PM

The intern must know someone.

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2017 10:46 PM

R1: She was extremely popular with my co-workers (HR), and they were pretty immature and passive-aggressive when they were told she would not be coming back because of me.

R2: No, I know (for certain) they reached out to a professor and asked him to recommend a few students.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2017 10:50 PM

I am confused by the proper nouns I don't know and the seemingly random other capitalisations in this post.

As for advice, if you don't want to be an administrative assistant, look for a job where you don't start as one. That's all they want you for, sadly.

Again, what is your basic function now?

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2017 11:00 PM

OP, An internship is usually unpaid. It sounds like HR couldn't get approval to hire a full time employee. The HR Director did say it was a potential full time job. Just hang on and don't do anything stupid. There are opportunities there, you have to be patient.

What did you mean at R3 by saying the person you temped for didn't come back because of you? Do you know this as fact or is this what you think happened?

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2017 11:09 PM

OP, When there's a Reader s Digest version, get back to me.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2017 11:18 PM

R5: Our organization pays all Interns. My understanding is that the permanent role is contingent on the Intern working out, as the budget for the position has already been approved. Either way, it makes no sense to train a temporary hire who will likely leave after three months on all the functions for the role, when they could have trained a permanent employee (me) and hired an Office Coordinator Intern. That way, I could always be a 'back-up' to HR when needed if the role did not become permanent.

As for the other candidate - when she was ready to return, our Leadership team agreed to let her go, as they preferred me instead. My co-workers 'blamed' my standout performance on her dismissal - even though there were other roles in the organization (at that time) that she would have been a fit for. Apparently she was popular with the staff; not so popular with supervisors.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2017 11:19 PM

If you want to do administrative work, do it for lawyers or bankers at a fat rich firm. If possible.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2017 11:22 PM

OP, what is your view on the market for used textbooks and dating someone outside your major and/or programme?

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2017 11:23 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 10January 5, 2018 12:36 AM

Office games. I worked in an office once and it was one of the worst jobs that I ever had.

by Anonymousreply 11January 5, 2018 12:50 AM

'bye, Tanya

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 5, 2018 12:55 AM

[quote] offered me the role permanently. I turned it down.

Some companies, like some people just can't handle rejection. They offered you a permanent position and you have the gull to turn them down and then went looking for your own permanent position instead of the one you were offered, "how dare you try to better yourself"

by Anonymousreply 13January 5, 2018 1:44 AM

I’m baffled by you offering to pay for someone to do your job once a week. That makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 14January 5, 2018 2:24 AM

I second R13. They may be resentful that you turned down their original offer.

by Anonymousreply 15January 5, 2018 2:31 AM

You should ask them what's going on OP, not us.

Sounds like you might have bent someone's nose unintentionally by "shopping" for the best job fit.

by Anonymousreply 16January 5, 2018 2:37 AM

And I second r14. You, yourself, said...

[quote] Either way, it makes no sense to train a temporary hire who will likely leave after three months

Yet you want to burden the organization with a temp who replaces you one day a week. You offered to pay for him but you'll be off somewhere else obliging your remaining coworkers to train him.

My take : you've overestimated your value to them by asking for more than they offered. And you're not getting any younger. Flexibility doesn't necessarily mean the organization dances to your tune, it also means you appreciate the organization enough to work through several different posts. They were looking for someone long term and you disqualified yourself. You've proven yourself to be difficult despite your talents.

by Anonymousreply 17January 5, 2018 2:59 AM

Yeah, it may be r17 is correct. From your description the situation now sounds complex, convoluted when companies generally want easy.

More Eve Harrington, less Alexis Colby.

by Anonymousreply 18January 5, 2018 6:24 AM

You’ve been out of college 20 yesrs, and are still looking for an entry level position in HR?

yikes

by Anonymousreply 19January 5, 2018 6:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!