Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why does Marvel hate gays?

I'm being serious. They don't mind lesbians on any of their shows, yet gay men is a big no-no?! WTF?

by Anonymousreply 106January 21, 2018 7:27 PM

I blame [italic]Friends[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2017 6:36 PM

Disney has been pushing jenn-durr fluid propaganda in some of their shows since the 1990s, even way beyond the usual drag business they've always done when the plot demanded it. Yet out gay male love is the one taboo that they can only now start breaking.

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2017 6:50 PM

Matt, take your meds and go the fuck away.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2017 6:51 PM

R2 OUAT had a lesbian princess, they would never ever have a gay prince on their show.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2017 6:51 PM

And the current corporate administration took Roddy McDowall (along with the emotional core of the story that showed both the children's backstory and acknowledge the reality of death in war, along with why Miss Price and Mr. Browne would want to get together in the first place) out of [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic] again to sacrifice it and its brethren on the altar of its embarrassingly overrated and obnoxious predecessor from the same director.

Does Bob Iger intend to die on the job like Walt?

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2017 6:55 PM

D’you mean the very same film studios with the cash-cow film-franchise partially spearheaded by Jeremy Renner?

Surely you jest, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2017 6:57 PM

So they made a crappy movie even crappier, R5. So what?

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2017 6:58 PM

Likely to avoid any issues with the censors in China.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2017 7:04 PM

So.. that new show Runaways has a lesbian.. so now we have Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Runaways and Jessica Jones ALL with lesbian characters. We still have ZERO shows with gay male characters. Marvel is a shitty homophobic cunt of a company. They can go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2017 2:15 PM

[quote] Likely to avoid any issues with the censors in China.

Then screw those homophobic commie bastards.

by Anonymousreply 10December 23, 2017 2:17 PM

r9 Um do you read comics??? They have tons of gay heroes and heroines in the comics... Margaret Mitchell didn't have any gay people in it her books. She must be a homophobic cunt!

by Anonymousreply 11December 23, 2017 2:19 PM

R11 Yet ZERO gay male characters on tv! Explain that.

by Anonymousreply 12December 23, 2017 2:26 PM

Margaret Mitchell died in 1949. It is 2017. Between those two dates a little thing called gay rights happened.

by Anonymousreply 13December 23, 2017 2:27 PM

R9, R12, 'Arrow' and 'DC's Legends Of Tomorrow' are both DC shows (on the Lesbian-centric CW) and both have regular cast gay characters:

Arrow: Mr. Terrific is gay and a series regular.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow: DL Fave Wentworth Miller has rejoined the show as a 'Special Guest' (but a regular) as Citizen Cold, the Earth-X version of Captain Cold. Citizen Cold is gay and partnered with the Ray, also from Earth-X. The Ray is played by another DL Fave, Russell Tovey. Both actors are out gay, of course. CC and the Ray had some nice kisses on the episode of 'The Flash' in the recent "Crisis On Earth-X" crossover. The Ray will have his own animated series on the CW Seed, voiced by Russell Tovey.

Flash: Although this series is the one showing the gay male kisses listed above, it only has rarely-seen minor gay male characters, Police Commissioner David Singh and the Pied Piper.

Supergirl: All Lesbian, All The Time. Nonstop. No gay men exist on her Earth. All of the gorgeous men on this Earth are super-straight, even Kara's queeny co-worker who is clearly in love with Mon-El.

So, DC-TV clearly has far less hatred for gay men in their shows than Marvel does. No big surprise there.

by Anonymousreply 14December 23, 2017 2:45 PM

DC = Warner Bros., who made [italic]The Ritz[/italic] the same year Disney was putting Penny with a mommy and daddy in [italic]The Rescuers[/italic], which was basically a proto-[italic]Hart to Hart[/italic] with mice.

by Anonymousreply 15December 23, 2017 2:47 PM

Marvel/Disney are the ones making the big bucks so it's no surprise they would remove this aspect for its international audiences. However, the lack of gay men on Marvel Netflix shows has always been bizarre to me. They're set in New York and yet no one ever interacts with a gay guy?

by Anonymousreply 16December 23, 2017 2:49 PM

[quote]OUAT had a lesbian princess, they would never ever have a gay prince on their show.

They have two lesbian characters this year - daughters of the original cast, and in addition to Mulan - Red Riding Hood and Dorthy were gay. Some of the more obsessed fans were sure Regina and Emma were actually going to be end game. I don't think there has ever been a hint of any male character being gay - no matter how minor the character, much less someone like Hook or Charming.

That said - this issue is probably moot for this show - more than anything it just needs to be put out of its misery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 23, 2017 2:55 PM

[quote]They're set in New York and yet no one ever interacts with a gay guy?

I know, right? It's like it's still 1933 or something.

by Anonymousreply 18December 23, 2017 2:57 PM

R14 You only mention guest characters. Marvel still has ZERO regulars aka ZERO gay male characters that are part of the main cast. On the other hand Marvel has at least 4 or 5 regular lesbian characters. Notice a difference?

by Anonymousreply 19December 23, 2017 3:51 PM

Agents of SHIELD, around Season 2-3 (I'm not sure; they're on Season 5 now), had an Inhuman secondary character who was a gay man. It was a part of his story, though I didn't find his story particularly enjoyable.

The given or supposed reasoning I remember, for him leaving, was that the actor had other opportunities. But maybe his/the Inhuman group he was in's story was was something the showrunners didn't want to continue. Or maybe he was just diversity checklist and now that this is done, bye bye. Or maybe someone in the upper levels was homophobic or capitulates to homophobia so the character had to go. We don't know.

But there is SOMETHING Marvel with gay men. But barely. He could manipulate metal. The character ended with wanting nothing to do with SHIELD but it is hinted that he's going to have a happy gay life. He is also masc and was a construction worker and likes motorcycles.

I don't recall anything in the films for a decade. But what annoys me isn't that, but when films or shows have characters and/or actors with SUCH CLEAR chemistry, likely or potentially homo chemistry but you just KNOW that this is NEVER going to be allowed to happen, no matter the professional suggestions in production, or the fanbase suggestions, or even popular audience suggestions. Never ever ever ever gonna happen. What ''anti-SJWs'' have as their semi-convincing argument is that characters are 'forced' to be something 'diverse' - but if there's already the setup, who gives a crap? Just do it. Some established characters can be made bi easily. Some new characters can be gay. Some more minor-so-far gay characters can be introduced. Marvel COULD do it, but DOESN'T. And the Agents of SHIELD character I described was not a major one and it was only TV.

by Anonymousreply 20December 23, 2017 3:53 PM

Insecure male nerds can't deal with their male superheroes being gay, what would that say about their own sexuality? (or lack thereof) OTOH they find feminine lesbians hot and Marvel scores diversity points if they include them, so it's a win-win situation.

Money-making machines won't risk a penny to make the gay boys happy; we keep watching their shitty movies despite their disdain, after all.

by Anonymousreply 21December 23, 2017 3:55 PM

Frankly I think its the owners/runners not wanting to scare off the deplorables. The deplorables may be only, say, 10-20% of USA (maybe 30-40% and not necessarily the audience you may want to advert to, but maybe so, I dunno), but they're there and they still turn off the TV - for themselves or their children - as soon as anything homo appears in any way.

Gay men may have now clear support (to whatever extent) of 1/3 of USA and tolerance of another 1/3 (to the point of being okay with marriage!), but there's still a hateful or at least distasteful, full 1/3. (In Canada I'd say more 1/5-1/4 and even more relegated to the old or recent immigrant sort).

by Anonymousreply 22December 23, 2017 3:56 PM

[Quote] Marvel COULD do it, but DOESN'T.

THIS. They seem to love lesbians, but have a very hard time adding gay characters to any of their movies or tv shows. I guess they think lesbians are less likely to piss off their straight fanboy audience. After all lesbians are hot! Fanboys are way more likely to accept a lesbian character than a gay male one. At the same time they get a point for diversity! Since ya know... they can include lesbians on all their shows yet zero gay men and somehow that's totally ok!

by Anonymousreply 23December 23, 2017 3:59 PM

R21 You can observe the insecure male nerd backlash in vivo right now, with all the female and PoC characters in The Last Jedi. They're applying every ounce of pressure they have not just because they're butthurt but because they know this is their last stand, so they hope at least to "save" the last movie of the trilogy. But the SW franchise keeps making piles of money and Kathleen Kennedy won't pander to their narrow worldview anymore.

R22 I still think the problem, in this particular case, is the overseas audience (read: China), not the deplorables in the US.

by Anonymousreply 24December 23, 2017 4:02 PM

You can't change an established character into a gay one because that's messing with the cannon. You can't add new gay characters because that's tokenism and a gay agenda.

Which leaves us, gay men, completely fucked and the straight fanboys warm and comfortable in the status quo. Isn't that just wonderful?

by Anonymousreply 25December 23, 2017 4:06 PM

Disney proper has been gay-baiting for years (four words: [italic]The World's Greatest Athlete[/italic]) without any actual payoff up to now.

[quote] Money-making machines won't risk a penny to make the gay boys happy; we keep watching their shitty movies despite their disdain, after all.

I've been binge-watching old sitcoms to get over a breakup and one of them was [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic]. Not once did the word "gay" pass through anyone's lips, but the subtext was all over the place. It was the closest thing I could find to a male equivalent of [italic]Facts of Life[/italic]. The difference is, that was 35 years ago. A lot has happened since then. Like another show with a teenage boy named Ricky, and this time he actually was gay: [italic]My So-Called Life[/italic]. And a bunch of other shows with gays in them, too, some much, much, MUCH better than others. And the civil rights gains we've made. And even before any of that, there was [italic]Soap[/italic], and that didn't exactly hurt Billy Crystal's career. My generation and the gays who came before me white-knuckled the boy/girl love scenes for guys we liked because we had no choice. The current generation is spoiled by comparison.

Marvel will come around. Disney did.

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2017 4:08 PM

Better yet, China is to blame for excluding gay men in Marvel movies, and deplorables for excluding gay men in Marvel TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2017 4:09 PM

[quote]Margaret Mitchell didn't have any gay people in it her books.

It ain't fittin', it just ain't fittin'! There, now it's fittin'!

by Anonymousreply 28December 23, 2017 4:58 PM

This article, published an hour ago by a ScreenRant editor, has already racked up forty comments. I can't even bring myself to look at them because I know exactly what they're like.

We'll never get gay male characters if we just wait for the fanboys to evolve first. Sometimes, you just have to ram the change through, Kathleen Kennedy-style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 23, 2017 6:10 PM

The Avengers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2017 6:24 PM

Supergay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2017 6:26 PM

[quote] lesbians on any of their shows, yet gay men is a big no-no?! WTF?

What do you mean "WTF?" ?

Nobody but fagz and their hags want to watch freaken sissies in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2017 10:50 PM

I don’t think straight guys would mind at all if gay characters were put in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2017 10:59 PM

R32 This is a homosexual message board. Why. Are. You. Even. Here?

by Anonymousreply 34December 23, 2017 11:01 PM

R33 But not as superheroes. And if as superheroes it's for comedic moments.

R34 You and R33 must be the hags.

by Anonymousreply 35December 23, 2017 11:08 PM

R35 No, I'm a homo. Seriously though, how did you find this place? Did you google "Marvel gay" or something? Because people generally don't stumble on Datalounge any other way. And I see you haven't made any posts in other threads either.

by Anonymousreply 36December 23, 2017 11:56 PM

R25 You can't change an established character into a black one because that's messing with the cannon.

by Anonymousreply 37December 26, 2017 9:51 AM

Are Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes (the Winter Soldier) gay?

by Anonymousreply 38December 26, 2017 9:53 AM

R38 No

by Anonymousreply 39December 26, 2017 10:24 AM

R37 How come nobody told me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 26, 2017 10:27 AM

Kind of ironic that some people hold the belief that "No one but fagz and their hagz want to watch freakin' sissies in the movies". Because, in fact, Hollywood and tv has a solid history with the traditional "sissy' character. Homophobic and gay-hating men don't at all mind seeing these guys: They can cope with the stereotype that doesn't challenge their own identity and image. What they can't cope with is a homosexual man who looks like them, or is in fact more muscular, tough, "masculine" than themselves. That's why we don't have super heroes and tough guy leads who are gay men. Because straight men are afraid.

by Anonymousreply 41December 26, 2017 10:29 AM

[quote] Margaret Mitchell died in 1949. It is 2017. Between those two dates a little thing called gay rights happened.

Yes, dear. And getting littler by the day thanks to your President.

by Anonymousreply 42December 26, 2017 10:31 AM

[Quote]What they can't cope with is a homosexual man who looks like them, or is in fact more muscular, tough, "masculine" than themselves. That's why we don't have super heroes and tough guy leads who are gay men. Because straight men are afraid.

THIS.

by Anonymousreply 43December 26, 2017 10:37 AM

R37 Not really the subject of this thread, but I can't see why not unless ethnicity and heritage are crucial to the character and the story, as is the case with Black Panther. Like R40 shows, the character of Jimmy Olsen gains or loses nothing by a black actor portraying him. Well, he [italic]does[/italic] gain a tonne of hotness, to be honest.

R41 That poster hasn't returned ever since I informed him that this is, in fact, a sissy message board. I bet that information was just too much for him to handle, the poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 44December 26, 2017 10:38 AM

I mean...it's a comic book company run by heterosexual men that's primarily supported by heterosexual men between 18 to 25 who aren't the most supportive of anything that's not white, male or straight.

by Anonymousreply 45December 26, 2017 10:54 AM

[Quote] the character of Jimmy Olsen gains or loses nothing by a black actor portraying him. Well, he does gain a tonne of hotness, to be honest.

It's a shame he's not very well liked by Supergirl fans.

by Anonymousreply 46December 26, 2017 11:03 AM

[Quote]I mean...it's a comic book company run by heterosexual men that's primarily supported by heterosexual men between 18 to 25 who aren't the most supportive of anything that's not white, male or straight.

They don't seem to mind lesbians though as there are many lesbian characters on the Marvel shows.

by Anonymousreply 47December 26, 2017 11:04 AM

R46 Really? I stopped watching the show the moment I found out Melissa was doing Chris Wood. I've never been the envious type but fuck he's too hot for her. I did hear about some shit writing when it comes to Olsen, though.

R47 Which is inherently sexist because lesbians on these shows don't threaten the status quo in the slightest. Plus straight can just get in on the fun as well so it's a win-win for everyone involved.

by Anonymousreply 48December 26, 2017 11:11 AM

[quote][R37] Not really the subject of this thread, but I can't see why not unless ethnicity and heritage are crucial to the character and the story, as is the case with Black Panther. Like [R40] shows, the character of Jimmy Olsen gains or loses nothing by a black actor portraying him. Well, he does gain a tonne of hotness, to be honest.

Morally, you’re absolutely correct. However, it’s naive to think that a change like that will not have any repercussions, especially in today's political climate. I mean...in the forums, if it’s even hinted that a legacy character will go through ANY change, the mouthbreathers will show their biases...en masse.

Honestly, as a POC reader, I roll MY eyes when an established character changes simply to appease “The PC crowd.” (I HATE that I had to use that in a sentence). I would prefer they get off their asses and create a Black character instead of just turning Jimmy Olsen into Mehcad Brooks and putting a check in "the box."

BTW, I just licked my screen, y'all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 26, 2017 11:17 AM

[quote]They don't seem to mind lesbians though as there are many lesbian characters on the Marvel shows.

Are you being serious here or just trolling? You have to be trolling...or 12 years old.

by Anonymousreply 50December 26, 2017 11:19 AM

[Quote] Really? I stopped watching the show the moment I found out Melissa was doing Chris Wood. I've never been the envious type but fuck he's too hot for her. I did hear about some shit writing when it comes to Olsen, though.

It's mostly to do with ships but as far as the writing goes it's been crap for alot of the characters. I doubt Melissa and Chris will still be together once the show ends. There's already rumours about her cheating on him.

by Anonymousreply 51December 26, 2017 11:23 AM

[quote]However, it’s naive to think that a change like that will not have any repercussions, especially in today's political climate.

R49 I was referring to the "messing with the canon" argument when I wrote that. I didn't address people's reactions to it at all because that's a whole other can of worms.

And yes, that ass is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 52December 26, 2017 11:23 AM

[quote]There's already rumours about her cheating on him.

Haha, you don't say! Oh, I do admire how voracious she is.

by Anonymousreply 53December 26, 2017 11:26 AM

Straight will write about straightness and that normal, I wouldn't waste my time as a writer writing shit about people who have different sexualities than mine. Who gives a fuck ? We minorities need to stop demanding inclusion in creations of the straights, and need to write our own goddamn stories.

It's fucking obnoxious to DEMAND charity like that all the damn time.

by Anonymousreply 54December 26, 2017 11:29 AM

[quote][R49] I was referring to the "messing with the canon" argument when I wrote that. I didn't address people's reactions to it at all because that's a whole other can of worms.

Y’know...the second I clicked on "Post," I realized that you may not be speaking on reactions but since we don’t have an edit function--like every comments section on the planet--I couldn’t correct it.

by Anonymousreply 55December 26, 2017 11:49 AM

[Quote] Haha, you don't say! Oh, I do admire how voracious she is.

Lol it's insane. She supposedly got with Mechad and Tyler before Chris. And now the latest one is Taylor Kitsch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 26, 2017 11:49 AM

r45 and so many others on this thread are out of touch. Northstar was one of the first out gay characters in comics thanks to Marvel. Rictor and Shatterstar had the first gay kiss in comics, again thanks to Marvel. Wiccan and Hulking are a gay couple, again thanks to Marvel. The iconic Iceman is gay, now (finally) after his younger self came out.

As for continuity changes and canon, we now have a female Thor and Iron Man is a 15-year old African-American girl while Tony Stark is recovering from his beatdown by Ms. Marvel. Even Cap was black when Sam (the Falcon) Wilson took over.

Marvel is not all about the TV and films.

by Anonymousreply 57December 26, 2017 11:55 AM

We're not out of touch, we're just focusing on the shows and the movies, which reach a far greater audience and have real potential to change the (global) audiences' perceptions and by extension, their prejudices.

I linked to this article on another Marvel DL thread just this month. There's plenty of source material to go around. I would also like to see more non-superhero gay men being included, especially on Marvel Netflix shows. Like Jessica Jones' assistant, for example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 26, 2017 12:07 PM

Actually, R58, you're speaking for yourself and still wrong on many levels. See the title of the thread, as well as R9 through R45 who have brought the comics into this, the latter to whom I was responding, as well as to people who are writing about messing up the "canon". The "canon" does not come from TV and film. It comes from the comics.

And the whole thread is about "Marvel" hating "the gays", even if the OP was focusing only on their "shows". Marvel does not "hate the gays". Marvel was first and foremost a comic book company. The films and TV shows wouldn't exist without them, even if now they're making money for other studios, Marvel Studios and is a Disney subsidiary now.

If you're the OP, write a better thread. If you're not, you're out of touch with the conversation on the thread, which many points are being made about the comics and Marvel the comics company, by inference.

by Anonymousreply 59December 26, 2017 12:20 PM

R57 is Very Smart.

I stopped watching Agents of SHIELD.. Should have known they would write out the gay guy.

Reading this thread reminded me that we know nothing about the sexual/romantic history of Malcolm on Jessica Jones.

by Anonymousreply 60December 26, 2017 12:22 PM

R59 You really ought to calm down. And find some manners while you're at it.

by Anonymousreply 61December 26, 2017 12:29 PM

R59 Oh, boy.

by Anonymousreply 62December 26, 2017 12:29 PM

All I know is the gay guy in S.H.I.E.L.D disappeared and despite there being no reason at all not to introduce another gay character, none has appeared. They've even brought in four brand new characters this season; none of them are gay.

Unless, of course, the woman is bi. We'll still only see her dating men though, 'cos while fanboys like the lesbos, lesbos that ignore and can totally do without men are scary

by Anonymousreply 63December 26, 2017 1:00 PM

Yet another thread dominated by silly old gays in their own little world. And R59 is right. The thread is a dig at Marvel. You're aiming at the wrong target and smearing a company that has gotten a lot of gay vanguard awards. You're watching network TV shows (first mistake) based on comics (second mistake as they're not that great to begin with) and then don't care about the comics on which they're based, blah blah blah and are whining about gay representation on these shows, so you can't really have any decent conversation about them or Marvel and what they're leaving out. Even that lame article R58 strings up about LGBT heroes needing their own film and mentions has pictures of gay comic book characters somebody posted but the author doesn't even write about them. And why? Cuz you don't know the comics. Just read the comics, you can even download them so you don't have to be embarrassed by going to the comic book store. You'll have plenty of stories with gay characters in them.

by Anonymousreply 64December 26, 2017 1:18 PM

R64 You're so full of shit. Please explain to me why there is a ton of lesbian characters on the Marvel shows yet zero gay male characters?

by Anonymousreply 65December 26, 2017 1:22 PM

This thread is good for blocking assholes. I have blocked everyone defending Marvel. It is a homophobic company, whether you want to admit it or not.

by Anonymousreply 66December 26, 2017 1:23 PM

R64 Oh and btw, silly old gays? I'm 30.

by Anonymousreply 67December 26, 2017 1:23 PM

I'm not sure where I read this, but the character Wynn on "Supergirl" was supposed to be gay, but the Powers That Be declared him heterosexual...which created a tiresome first season of him mooning after Kara instead of being The Gay Bestie. Whenever he goes Bromance with any of the male characters--Mon-el, Jimmy, or Superman--I just sigh and think of what might have been...

by Anonymousreply 68December 26, 2017 1:23 PM

R68 That's the issue though, TPTB clearly don't want any gay male characters on their shows, notice how they didn't have a problem adding a lesbian character to Supergirl though. As always lesbian characters are allowed, gay male characters are not.

by Anonymousreply 69December 26, 2017 1:26 PM

I was being sarcastic about R25 's post

by Anonymousreply 70December 26, 2017 1:29 PM

r65 you're the one full of shit. You too R66. Because you morons keep confusing Marvel the comic company with Disney (which bought Marvel studios) and the networks, you're complaining about the wrong company. You've been told this by several people now. Marvel does NOT control the content on ABC or Disney. Where Marvel is free to be Marvel, in its own comics, it has plenty of out gay men. You can't say "Marvel is a homophobic company" R66.

As for you specifically R65 nowhere did I defend or claim the TV shows are full of gay men or as many lesbian characters. Show me in my post where I did. I don't give a shit about the TV shows. That was my point. TV shows based on comic books have always been awful. As I wrote very clearly, if you want gay characters in superhero stories you'll support Marvel the comic book company by buying their comic books. Fuck the TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 71December 26, 2017 1:33 PM

R68 I think Jeremy Jordan said he was playing Winn as bi. It's not really surprising they'd have a lesbian character on Supergirl though, it has a mostly female audience.

by Anonymousreply 72December 26, 2017 1:36 PM

[quote]This thread is good for blocking assholes. I have blocked everyone defending Marvel. It is a homophobic company, whether you want to admit it or not.

Nobody cares. I assure you. And before you pull the “You obviously do” card...I really don’t. I just thought you needed to know.

Also, I’m not sure what the know-it-all asshole at R58 is on about. NOBODY--in response to the OP--said Marvel hates gays. I pointed out that the 18-25 demo that reads their comics aren't supportive of gays--which is not only fact; it's fairly obvious. If anything THEY hate gays, not Marvel and that's why there aren't many gay characters in ANYTHING Marvel does.

I mean....where's the confusion here?

by Anonymousreply 73December 26, 2017 1:37 PM

FUCK..that was directed at R59--R58. I hate posting on my phone. ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 74December 26, 2017 1:39 PM

[QUOTE]And [R59] is right.

R59 is you. Try to keep a lid on your multiple personalities, ma soeur. Or just don't post in a thread when, as you claim, you have no interest in the topic at hand.

Re Supergirl, didn't the network vaguely tease that one of the characters would come out, leading to speculation about it being Winn? I wonder if that was a situation like on Buffy, where either Willow or Xander was going to turn out to be queer, and they decided that a strongly female show had to have a straight male character. Too bad Winn pings to high heaven.

I'm still hoping that The Ray will join Legends of Tomorrow, even though I know it's unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 75December 26, 2017 1:58 PM

r11 Maybe it's Disney that doesn't want more gay representation on it's tv shows? have you thought of that?

by Anonymousreply 76December 26, 2017 2:02 PM

The international Market is a huge impediment. Homosexuality is considered repulsive or sinful in most of the planet, just plain weird or taboo in many places where it is technically legal. Additionally, male homosexuality is associated or perceived as unmanly and not masculine. Superheroes are uosyskjg supppsed to be Alphas, strong, powerful, brave, and gender conforming, whereas most of the world perceives gay men as the polar opposite of those atrubutes.

by Anonymousreply 77December 26, 2017 2:06 PM

T21, you know nothing about nerd culture. I cannot wait till Hollywood bleeds nerdom dry and moves on so idiots like you can stop the foot in mouth plague.

Nerds are the most welcoming and gay friendly of the major HS tribes. What has been yor life experience that you think nerds are the homophobes, lol!

by Anonymousreply 78December 26, 2017 2:07 PM

I think posts like R77 are projections of the poster’s own beliefs and attitudes towards gays. I read that same shit all over this site.

by Anonymousreply 79December 26, 2017 2:33 PM

That same homophobic shit—I mean.

by Anonymousreply 80December 26, 2017 2:33 PM

Good for you R66. Just block. Don’t sweat it.

by Anonymousreply 81December 26, 2017 2:35 PM

R79, What was said there that is not accurate about global attitudes and beliefs? You don’t like discussing reality?

by Anonymousreply 82December 26, 2017 3:06 PM

R82, that shit is posted all over this website regardless of the context. It IS your personal beliefs about gay men. FF’d.

by Anonymousreply 83December 26, 2017 4:20 PM

R57 yes, that’s true about Iceman. The (predominantly straight, male) comic fan community had a great reaction to the reveal, a DL-worthy “please, we’ve known”. Many of them went rooting around in the archives for pagescans of scenes from the 90s and before to prove that ‘gay Iceman’ had been a longtime coming. If anything, X-Men readers were more annoyed that it hadn’t happened sooner and written in a more nuanced & high-minded fashion. X-Men as a title was originally written with gay rights partially in mind, don’t forget it.

As other posters have said, look to the Mouse Execs and the wider international distribution markets for tv & film if you want to cry homophobia at anyone.

by Anonymousreply 84December 26, 2017 5:01 PM

R83, dude, I don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 85December 26, 2017 5:02 PM

Well clearly you do, because you keep replying. But you do you, man.

by Anonymousreply 86December 26, 2017 5:04 PM

You loved posting that shit R85. You got a big thrill out of it because you are a sos. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 87December 26, 2017 5:14 PM

R84 true about the X-Men. In general I think the comic has the most gay characters in any Marvel comic book. Too bad that none of the X-related movies have ever touched on this.

by Anonymousreply 88December 26, 2017 5:18 PM

Disney is coming around, but certainly its affiliates Marvel and ABC TV Have been very gay friendly for decades, and continue to be.

Yes, I want openly gay male heroes in Marvel films and TV series. It will come.

And thanks to those who corrected the spelling of "canon." One "n," people. With two it's a weapon.

by Anonymousreply 89December 26, 2017 5:18 PM

R73 there are people on this thread saying Marvel hates gays, and it's not just the title. The comments for the first 20 posts all laid the blame at "Marvel". And it has continued. See R66 for example claiming Marvel is a homophobic company. I don't think I'm the one confused here. You seem very angry, though.

Most people now seem to be getting that it's Disney, like, R89, who gets it right without screaming about it.

R75 I haven't posted on this thread as someone else saying I'm right. This is my first time to check in since I posted at R57 and R59 and was accused of having no manners. On DL. Go figure. But keep imagining otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 90December 26, 2017 5:32 PM

[Quote] Re Supergirl, didn't the network vaguely tease that one of the characters would come out, leading to speculation about it being Winn? I wonder if that was a situation like on Buffy, where either Willow or Xander was going to turn out to be queer, and they decided that a strongly female show had to have a straight male character. Too bad Winn pings to high heaven.

The popular guesses were Alex and Winn.

by Anonymousreply 91December 27, 2017 7:14 AM

R78, you're wrong. Nerds love lesbians but hate gay men. The gay kiss on The Walking Dead is just one example, the gay kiss on Black Sails another. Both shows also had lesbian characters, there was absolutely ZERO outrage when the lesbians made out naked on Black Sails, as there was zero outrage when the lesbian characters kissed on The Walking Dead. Then the gay kisses, oh dear... the internet was flooded with homophobic comments and the networks/channels airing the shows got a ton of complaints. Again; zero outrage when lesbians kiss or have sex, a ton of outrage when gay men kiss. Nerds are VERY homophobic. Why do you think they keep adding lesbian characters to nerd shows, yet zero gay men? The outrage connected to the gay kiss on TWD is proof enough that fanboys are some of the most homophobic people out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 27, 2017 8:28 AM

I AGREE like a MF R92. When I read that I thought to myself that poster must be talking about HIS nerd friends. If you read any of those forums R78, you will see how truly wrong you are. Not trying to be a smart ass, but again, that demographic DOES NOT want gays within a 100-mile radius of what they consider escapism.

by Anonymousreply 93December 27, 2017 10:34 AM

Seperatism is the answer.

by Anonymousreply 94December 27, 2017 12:29 PM

Thor could have been really gay with canonically gay/bi characters like Korg and Loki. But the director was barely able to squeeze in Valkyrie's bisexuality. Though there's a lot of implications when it comes to Loki and the Grandmaster.

by Anonymousreply 95December 27, 2017 1:45 PM

Fanboys spank it to lesbian porn, or at least that's what they tell their friends.

by Anonymousreply 96December 29, 2017 6:02 PM

And those loser fanboys are the same types who will do everything with other guys except have sex with each other.

by Anonymousreply 97December 29, 2017 6:05 PM

AMerican fanboys aren’t the big Obstacle. The global audience is

by Anonymousreply 98December 29, 2017 6:25 PM

Disney helped create a generation of incels by teaming up with the junk food industry.

by Anonymousreply 99December 29, 2017 6:30 PM

Switch to DC, people.

Especially the games & animation. Some of their older movies & series had dark adult content with subtext to sink your teeth into, and were gay-friendly to boot. Start with UNDER THE RED HOOD or TEEN TITANS; don’t let the Japanese-anime style put you off, the writing for both is top-notch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 29, 2017 7:28 PM

[quote]true about the X-Men. In general I think the comic has the most gay characters in any Marvel comic book

It's easier to do there because of the parallels of hiding/coming out as a mutant and being closeted/coming out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 101December 29, 2017 7:31 PM

Those Thor covers from the Seventies and early 80s were certainly gay-friendly...

Good God of Thunder

by Anonymousreply 102December 30, 2017 5:09 PM

[QUOTE]Because straight men are afraid.

Heterosexuality is a form of self-hatred.

by Anonymousreply 103December 30, 2017 5:12 PM

[quote]You can't change an established character into a gay one because that's messing with the cannon. You can't add new gay characters because that's tokenism and a gay agenda.

Jessica Jones made a character a lesbian who was a straight male in the comics. Fine with changing canon for that.

It is true that Marvel Cinema has created so much output, and the lack of gay male representation is stunning.

It does feel like Marvel does not like gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 104January 21, 2018 7:04 PM

Moreso, they think their audience doesn’t want to see gay males.

by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2018 7:06 PM

[quote]It does feel like Marvel does not like gay guys.

Then gays need not support this garbage.

by Anonymousreply 106January 21, 2018 7:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!