Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Antonio Banderas as Pablo Picasso (he looks like a hipster Hitler without the mustache)

Antonio Banderas and Pablo Picasso may have both been born in the Spanish city of Málaga, but the Zorro star is reluctant to say he was destined to play the painter in season 2 of National Geographic’s Genius (premiering in April). “You’ll have to tell me, when we finish the show, if I was born to do it or not,” says the actor. “But definitely he’s a character that has been around my life for a long time. I remember going to school when I was a little kid and always passing in front of the house where Picasso was born.”

Alex Rich (GLOW) plays the young Picasso, with Banderas portraying the artist from his 40s until his death in 1973 at the age of 91. “The first episodes are more on Alex, and then you’ll have more of the older Picasso, played by me,” explains Banderas. “But the narrative is not a line that goes A, B, C, D, E. We continuously use flashbacks. You are going to have both practically all the time.”

To prepare for the role, the actor even picked up the paintbrushes himself and attempted to re-create a few works by the master. “I did three or four of them, just to be very comfortable with brushes, so when you see me on the screen it looks natural,” he says. Maybe the actor should put on an exhibition of his efforts? “Yes,” says the actor. “And then the Picasso family would put me in jail!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2018 1:30 AM

Here’s a link to the actual article

[quote]See Antonio Banderas as Pablo Picasso in Genius exclusive first look

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2017 2:11 PM

That man is still smoking hot. I'd do him any time, anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2017 2:44 PM

I have too much time on my hands..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2017 2:46 PM

Id rather remember the young and dreamy Antonio,thank you very much .

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2017 2:49 PM

One of the best actors in the Spanish-speaking world is going to play Spanish legendary painter Picasso IN ENGLISH‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2017 2:51 PM

Some people try to pick up girls and get called asshole. This never happened to Pablo Picasso. Not in New York

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2017 3:39 PM

[quote]Id rather remember the young and dreamy Antonio

Yup

I'll never understand how that hag Melanie managed to snag him at the peak of his hotness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2017 7:12 PM

Another movie about another vastly overrated hetero male pig. How nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2017 7:20 PM

Actor Alex Rich plays the younger Picasso. Certainly Picasso never looked so beautiful in his youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2018 8:21 PM

This sounds like another boring 'what happened next and then ...' biopic.

Directors need to learn from movies like Amadeus and My Week with Marilyn when they do biopics.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2018 8:31 PM

R10, and then?

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2018 8:33 PM

The National Geographic biopics on Einstein and now Picasso were well done. My Week with Marilyn was excellent it but was just a snapshot of Marilyn and not a biographical story.

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2018 7:56 PM

AMADEUS is not a 'biopic," R10.

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2018 7:57 PM

I don't think a biopic has to dramatize an entire life, R10. I would say Amadeus is a biopic.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2018 12:38 AM

I meant, R13.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2018 12:38 AM

Bitch looks like a disturbing mash-up of Tilda Swinton and Kenneth Branagh!

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2018 12:51 AM

Given that most of what's in Amadeus is fiction, it's hard to argue the film is a legitimate biopic, although it certainly is a lot of fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2018 1:04 AM

"Genius" can't be worse than that turkey "Surviving Picasso" with Anthony Hopkins. The score by Richard Robbins, however, is one of the most beautiful I know of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2018 3:14 AM

[quote](he looks like a hipster Hitler without the mustache)

Thanks for the laugh, OP.

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2018 3:15 AM

The historical record is clear that Mozart bears no resemblance to the infantile narcissist depicted in Peter Shaeffer's play. That doesn't matter because the play is not a biography of Mozart.

AMADEUS is an exploration of the fact that great talent is handed out by God in ways that defy explanation and are not a reward to the person most outwardly deserving of that gift. In Shaffer's drama, Salieri does everything right, just as he should, but he is not rewarded by God with the great talent. He is competent and mediocre and his diligence has taken him far. But his talent is pedestrian. He is faced with the hard fact that Mozart does nothing to deserve the gift of a great God given talent, but nevertheless, he got it. It is through his music that Salieri hears the voice of God.

Everything flows from that idea. The bit of fact that can be found in the play provides only a frame work for the drama Shaffer had in mind.

No biography... No biopic.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2018 3:28 AM

Good post, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2018 3:39 AM

Dear R5 Picasso spent most of his adult like in France. Does Banderas speak French?

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2018 12:17 AM

Ha ha ! It's true that he looks like a hipster Hitler without the mustache !

R20, very interesting. Amadeus was a great play and a great movie. I miss those kind of Oscar winners.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2018 12:27 AM

He is really playing this person

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2018 12:41 AM

Alex Rich, the actor who plays the younger Picasso, is so gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2018 1:14 AM

R8, you sound dumb.

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2018 1:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!