Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fried Chicken & Potato Salad! -- Share Your Recipes

Such comfort foods...

But, there is fried chicken and then there is really good fried chicken! It's the same with potato salad.

What are your recipes? Or, where have you eaten the best fried chicken and potato salad?

Share. Share. Share!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 20, 2018 10:22 PM

Do anyone else remember Lola's in New York City? The restaurant was famous because of its fried chicken. Well... here's the recipe! RIP Yvonne....

Lola's Spiced Fried Chicken

Lola, New York Cityt- April 1995

Lola's Spiced Fried Chicken

Lola, New York Cityt- April 1995

For 4 servings

• 1 3 1/4-lb. chicken, cut into 8 pieces

• 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

• 1 med. head garlic, peeled and pureed

• 2 Tbsps. Spanish paprika

• 2 Tbsps. Hungarian paprika

• 2 Tbsps. black pepper, freshly ground

• 1 Tbsp. kosher salt

• 2 Tbsps. mushroom soy sauce

• 2 Tbsps. Tabasco hot pepper sauce

• 3 cups all-purpose flour

• 2 cups peanut oil for frying

Place chicken parts in nonreactive bowl; pour lemon juice over; let marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.

Transfer chicken to sheet pan; rub all over with garlic puree; cover with plastic wrap; return to refrigerator 15 minutes.

Heat oven to 375˚F.

Combine paprikas, pepper, and salt.

Place chicken in large nonreactive bowl; sprinkle with seasonings; toss.

Sprinkle on soy sauce and Tabasco; mix to coat evenly; reserve.

Place half the flour in brown paper bag; add 3 pieces of chicken at a time; shake to coat; remove from bag; reserve; repeat with remaining chicken pieces, adding remaining flour as necessary.

Heat oil to 325˚F in heavy frying pan; add chicken; fry until golden brown on all sides.

Transfer chicken to sheet pan; place into oven until crispy and cooked through; serve immediately.

Chef's Note: At Lola, this dish is served with creamed corn and wilted greens.

For 4 servings

• 1 3 1/4-lb. chicken, cut into 8 pieces

• 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

• 1 med. head garlic, peeled and pureed

• 2 Tbsps. Spanish paprika

• 2 Tbsps. Hungarian paprika

• 2 Tbsps. black pepper, freshly ground

• 1 Tbsp. kosher salt

• 2 Tbsps. mushroom soy sauce

• 2 Tbsps. Tabasco hot pepper sauce

• 3 cups all-purpose flour

• 2 cups peanut oil for frying

Place chicken parts in nonreactive bowl; pour lemon juice over; let marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.

Transfer chicken to sheet pan; rub all over with garlic puree; cover with plastic wrap; return to refrigerator 15 minutes.

Heat oven to 375˚F.

Combine paprikas, pepper, and salt.

Place chicken in large nonreactive bowl; sprinkle with seasonings; toss.

Sprinkle on soy sauce and Tabasco; mix to coat evenly; reserve.

Place half the flour in brown paper bag; add 3 pieces of chicken at a time; shake to coat; remove from bag; reserve; repeat with remaining chicken pieces, adding remaining flour as necessary.

Heat oil to 325˚F in heavy frying pan; add chicken; fry until golden brown on all sides.

Transfer chicken to sheet pan; place into oven until crispy and cooked through; serve immediately.

Chef's Note: At Lola, this dish is served with creamed corn and wilted greens.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2017 11:13 PM

Some history;

Yvonne "Lola" Bell, 36

Lola, Co-owner

Photo: Buck Ennis

By Cynthia Rigg

It's not every restaurateur that could produce a music video featuring his or her own fried chicken recipe. But Lola Bell puts it off with elan.

Festively garbed in a Caribbean-inspired dress, Ms. Bell sings and dances her way from the flouring of the chicken right through the deep frying. Recipes are the least of Ms. Bell's contributions to Lola, a 130-seat restaurant in the heart of Manhattan's photo district. Ms. Bell is not only part owner and hostess of the Caribbean/soul food restaurant, she is also the star of the show. Turning her acting aspirations into restaurant theater, Ms. Bell keeps her establishment packed with Sunday gospel music brunches and special events like the upcoming Valentine's Day "Live Your Fantasy" night.

Although her Jamaican-born mother is a trained chef and Ms. Bell ran a bakery with her sister as an adolescent, Lola expected to spend her adult life in Hollywood. At 17 she was already doing national television commercials. However, her big acting break never materialized and she found herself waitressing at various restaurants around town, as well as owning a florist shop and a gift-wrapping business along the way. While hostessing in outrageous wigs and costumes at the now-defunct Pesca, Ms. Bell remembers owner Eugene Fracchia telling her, "'You don't want to be an actress, Lola, you want to be a star,' and he was right," says the self-proclaimed "born-again virgin," who adds that her next goal is to find a husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2017 11:15 PM

I remember that my Mom used to make fried chicken back when we were kids, when we would take a picnic basket to an amusement park (Fantasy Farm, to be exact). But she stopped making it before I learned how to cook, and we would end up buying fried chicken (Famous Recipe) instead of making it ourselves (it's messy, and a lot of work). The best fried chicken I've ever had was the very peppery fried chicken at Wagner's Village Inn, in Oldenburg, Indiana. I grew up with German Potato Salad, and I'll try to remember how to make it: there's no mayonnaise in it, but it's both tart and sweet, like some other German foods I grew up (like Sauerbraten).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2017 11:43 PM

I am single and have a small kitchen but a normal size oven and stove. Fried chicken is too much work and waste for me. (I do bake chickens.) The best fried chicken is from soul food restaurants or where I live now, Chinese. Potato salad from a German deli. I know you wanted recipes - but that's my advice.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2017 11:45 PM

Restaurant owner catches flak for re-serving Popeyes chicken (LOL)

Love that chicken from...Sweet Dixie Kitchen.

A Long Beach, Calif. restaurant has drawn criticism after allegedly pulling a “Louisiana Fast” one, so to speak, by re-serving Popeyes chicken.

Sweet Dixie Kitchen’s Kimberly Sanchez told ABC 7 that she’s been serving breakfast and lunch at her place for four years.

She told the news outlet that most of the items are “made from scratch.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2017 11:49 PM

German (-American) Potato Salad

I can't give measurements, unfortunately, since I don't have a recipe: I just learned it at my Mom's elbow.

Slice several strips of bacon into small pieces, and cook them in a big cast iron skillet until crispy. Remove the bacon pieces, but leave the bacon fat.

Boil some water in a large pot, and cook some white or yellow potatoes until you can just barely penetrate them with a knife (also, include a number of eggs, so that they hard boil as the potatoes cook). Drain them, and as soon as they're cool enough to handle (it helps if you're used to handling hot foots), peel them, then slice them into bite-size slices, about a 1/3 of an inch high. (The eggs get put under gold water).

Add the sliced potatoes to the bacon fat in the skillet, and stir them around, trying not to break them, but allowing them to absorb some of the fat, and to brown a bit. In the meantime, you should have stirred about a teaspoon of sugar into a cup of cider vinegar until it's dissolved. Towards the end of the quick browning in the bacon fat, pour the vinegar and sugar into the skillet with the potatoes, and keep stirring until the potatoes have absorbed most of the liquid. Taste, and add salt and pepper and adjust the seasonings: maybe a bit more sugar or vinegar. Transfer the potato mixture into a large bowl. Crumble the bacon. Peel the hard-boiled eggs, and use an egg slicer to cut them down into small pieces. Slice some onions (sweet onions are really nice, but scallions are the best). Add the bacon, chopped eggs, and onions to the potato mixture, and stir in to incorporate.

The egg whites need to absorb some of the vinegar before serving, and the cooked egg yolks break down as they're stirred in, and form sort of an emulsion with the bacon fat and vinegar (imagine! a mayonnaise made with bacon fat!).

My Mom had a big Pyrex bowl in which she'd mix the final product and, since that type of Pyrex bowl doesn't come with a cover, she'd cover the top with a large Corelle plate, to act as a lid. This was one of my very favorite picnic foods growing up, and I still occasionally make a batch when I've decided not to worry about carbohydrates. And I have a nice deli that sells a decent version of it, so I can just buy a half pound at a time when I don't feel like cooking.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2017 12:04 AM

Your cooking oil should have been used to fry up other stuff - fries, potato pancakes, onion rings.

Start with nearly frozen chicken pieces. When baking, you trim off all the extra skin and ribs from the breasts. When frying, you leave that on for extra goodness - removing any weird looking shit including pin feathers.

Mine turns out a little different each time, but my go-to spices are garlic for base, black and chili pepper for spark, paprika for sweet, and seasoned salt to satisfy the gluttons. You dump as many eggs into the mix as you please and mix everything around with gloved hands. You roll everything in plain flour and add it to your 350 degree deep fryer. Depending on the size, you might only fry up four to eight pieces at a time to keep the oil hot. Chicken will float before you get to that magic 165 degree temperature, so you have to babysit your batches for up to eight minutes.

This is one of the few dishes for which I use paper towels on the bottom and as a top cover. You don't want to cover the cooked pieces with a lid as they will go soggy.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2017 12:13 AM

I really don't cook. I can't stand it. But, I LOVE to eat!!! The image in the link is the way I like MY potato salad minus that half egg slices nonsense. I was never a German potato salad fan. BUT.... here are some ideas when you want a twist to the type of potato salad pictured;

-I LOVE lox mixed in with regular potato salad. You just make your potato salad and dice up some lox to mix in. This is how I do it since I don't like to cook (the lazy version); I just buy the potato salad that I like and then some fresh lox, dice up the lox, and mix it in. VOILA! In fact, it was in Paris where I first had it.

-I like potato salad with bacon mixed in.

-I like potato salad with almonds.

I guess you can mix in anything that you like. Raisins, grapes, or things like that won't work for me but maybe some people like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2017 12:25 AM

Exceptional potato salad should have WHOLE boiled eggs!

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2017 12:35 AM

my ma's potato salad was a family favorite.Her "secret ingredient" was Miracle Whip.

So boil some potatoes but don't over cook them to get mushy. Chop celery, yellow onion, add sweet pickle relish and a chopped hard boiled egg if you want, salt black pepper, and a mixture of mayo and Miracle Whip. Oh. A tablespoon of mustard too. The thing is to let the flavors blend. Potato salad should always be made a least a few hours or eve a day in advance.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2017 12:37 AM

Recipes to try!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2017 10:28 AM

The best fried chicken I ever had would have been served on Sundsys after church at the pot luck lunches where I grew up in a North Carolina. I was the preachers son and all the church ladies would compete to see who’s chicken legs I liked best. It’s a wonder I was not a blimp the way those ladies fed me. Every recipe seemed wonderful. In the winter they would hold chicken pie dinners that were orgasmic.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2017 10:58 AM

Hate potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2017 10:59 AM

Popeyes

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2017 5:50 AM

Living in Georgia in the fifties, we had a housekeeper whose fried chicken was literally divine. It was crispy but not dried out on the inside. Seasoned to a tee, but not overly spicy like Popeye's. And most surprising of all, it did not seem greasy.

55 years later I have never found any which came even close to hers. But I will never stop looking.

by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2017 6:04 AM

Don’t get me started...

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2017 6:09 AM

That sounds like something some POOR person would eat

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2017 9:14 AM

It's interesting that in R1 's recipe the chicken is finished in the oven. Does anyone know why?

It cuts short the frying process which cuts short the chemical process which results, if done correctly, in the crispy not greasy chicken and brings out the flavors. I wonder if soaking the chicken in lemon juice dehydrates the chicken and this allows for finishing the chicken in the oven?

Anybody know?

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2017 6:04 PM

Hmm... pork rind crusted fried chicken. This looks interesting...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2018 11:55 PM

There’s so much good fried chicken in Atlanta. The recipe isn’t fancy, but I always enjoy it at Mary Mac’s.

by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2018 12:00 AM

For truly lazy people, cut up a chicken, or have one cut up for you before you leave the supermarket, heat oven to 400F. Put a 9 x 13 baking pan in the oven with a 4 oz stick of butter. When butter is melted, remove pan from oven, put chicken pieces in pan, sprinkle Spike on the chicken pieces, turn the pieces over to Spike the other side. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour. Not deep-frying, but fuss-free.

My fave fried chicken prepared at home sits in a buttermilk brine for 24 hours at least before frying in a skillet.

by Anonymousreply 21January 18, 2018 12:04 AM

I'd have to taste it R20 but that chicken looks too light for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 18, 2018 12:15 AM

Decent fried chicken cannot be had north of the Mason Dixon Line and east of the Appalachians.

The crap hipsters in Boston, Brooklyn, and Philly are trying to pawn off as fried chicken is shit, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 23January 18, 2018 12:19 AM

The outsized chickens that you get in supermarkets now are seriously detrimental to fried chicken. Their vast limbs and breasts can't possibly cook all the way through before the crust is overcooked and saturated with oil. So make sure you get a reasonably sized chicken such as our forefathers and foremothers had, not the modern mass produced (for all I know genetically modified) kind.

This obviously applies only to bone-in chicken. If your fried chicken has no bones, smoosh the pieecs with your thumb and fingers to make them flatter and cook faster (so you don't overcook); also to give them a slightly varying thickness which will produce a delightful variegation in the crunchiness.

by Anonymousreply 24January 18, 2018 12:45 AM

Hmm.. Mary Macs is a well known eatery!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2018 12:52 AM

My grandmother was mostly a mediocre cook, but she was a wizard with mayo based salads. Her potato salad was simple but delicious. Red potatoes, diced celery and yellow onion, chopped hard boiled egg, Hellman's, yellow mustard, salt and pepper, with a garnish of McCormick's paprika. She used basically the same recipe for pasta salads subbing noodles for the potatoes (always with Creamettes rings or small shells). Chicken, turkey, canned tuna or even ham/Spam were added for the protein. All of them were as good or better than I've ever had from a deli or restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2018 12:55 AM

NC...I think she dipped it in buttermilk and then flour. But I think the temp of the oil has a lot to do with it. Not too hot or cold. I'm a veggie and seeing the chicken parts bleeding in the pan probably had a lot to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2018 12:58 AM

You're fatter than Trump right.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2018 1:20 AM

R3-You must be from Cincinnati if you remember Fantasy Farm.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2018 3:37 AM

My mom made a potato salad kind of like R26 but left out the mustard. She also added pimentos, chopped dill pickles, sliced black olives and celery seed. She always used Best Foods mayo. It was really savory and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2018 4:11 AM

I love fried chicken... potato salad, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2018 4:16 AM

My grandmother made wonderful fried chicken. I wish I’d had her teach me her recipe.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2018 6:14 AM

Has anyone tried this? It looks like it could be really good!

INGREDIENTS

1 large head Cauliflower (cut into small florets)

2/3 cup Mayonnaise

1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

1/2 tsp Garlic powder

1/2 tsp Paprika

1/2 tsp Sea salt

1/4 tsp Black pepper

1/3 cup Onion (finely diced)

1/3 cup Celery (finely diced)

2 large Eggs (hard boiled, chopped)

Chives (for garnish - optional)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 14, 2018 12:28 PM

Go to KFC order chicken... Go to Maxwell's Deli order potato salad

BOOM.. The best Fried Chicken and Potato Salad EVAH

by Anonymousreply 34February 14, 2018 12:33 PM

Very easy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2018 10:18 PM

America's Test Kitchen did potato salad a few years ago on Cook's Country, and it's the only recipe I've used since. Note that the hard-boiled eggs are explicitly listed as optional and probably should have been excluded altogether because potato salad ipso facto doesn't have eggs. That's just nasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2018 10:37 PM

This potato salad is the best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2018 10:53 PM

Here's a Cajun variation.

Everyone knows Cajuns can make anything taste good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2018 11:01 PM

R37, that looks delicious, I will give it a try next time I make potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2018 11:31 PM

Potatoes, Dukes, mustard...not that hard!

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2018 11:54 PM

You ask a good question, R18. I'll keep searching but apparently there are quite a few recipes that instructs one to finish the fried chicken off in the oven for about 20 minutes. Now, I wonder why too!

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2018 12:07 AM

Caviar Fried Chicken/$500

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 20, 2018 10:09 PM

German Potato Salad is NOT real potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 43December 20, 2018 10:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!