Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Question for the Eldergays about the Patty Duke Show

Why the fuck were they identical cousins and not just twins? Was this concept controversial in the 1940's?

by Anonymousreply 65May 2, 2021 7:19 PM

Because as cousins, they came from different parts of the world, which created many plot possibilities/contrasts. Cathy was from Scotland and Patty was from...NBC Studios or something.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2017 5:27 PM

The Patty Duke show took place in the 60s. IMDb is your friend

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2017 5:30 PM

1940's? OP must be a clueless millennial.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2017 5:33 PM

Why did they let Patty Duke get away with doing neither a Scottish nor a British accent?

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2017 5:36 PM

Has anyone ever encountered identical cousins in real life?

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2017 5:41 PM

Well - strictly speaking - patty and Cathy would have been born in the 1940s - so maybe OP was questioning the social mores of legitimacy and the ethics of splitting up a pair of identical twins back then when they were babies?

Or yeah - he’s just a clueless millennial.

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2017 5:42 PM

[quote]Why did they let Patty Duke get away with doing neither a Scottish nor a British accent?

Why did they let Hayley Mills get away with not doing an American accent?

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2017 5:52 PM

Cathy did have a distinct Scottish brogue in the first few shows, but it was softened considerably after viewers complained that they couldn't understand what she was saying.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2017 5:57 PM

Elder here !!!! It didn't matter. I loved the show but I guess I'm dumb cause I never stopped to think that there's no such as: " But they're cousins, identical cousins all the way, one pair of matching bookends.....different as night and day....Cathy enjoys a minuet the ballet ruse and crepes Suzette but Patty loves to rock and roll....A hot dog makes her lose control....

Sorry about that rambling . I was so sad finding out as an adult that Patty was abused by her "managers" who were like surrogate parents. When she went to a funeral, they made her go as Cathy, not herself. And all the mental health issues she had.....with her background she never had a chance ....sigh

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2017 6:22 PM

[quote]And all the mental health issues she had.....with her background she never had a chance ....sigh

Her father was an alcoholic - who left them when she was six - then her mother tried to kill herself in front of the kids.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2017 6:26 PM

I love these threads where OP wants a rational explanation for some aspect of a TV sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2017 6:36 PM

Patty Duke said that ironically, she felt more comfortable playing the quieter Cathy from Scotland, rather than the more mod and madcap American teen Patty (supposedly fashioned after herself.) she said she had no idea how to approach playing a regular American teen, as she wasn't one, herself.

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2017 6:40 PM

[quote]1940's? OP must be a clueless millennial.

—Anonymous

ffs, are they s too stupid or too lazy to use the google machine?

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2017 6:43 PM

I loved the Patty Duke Show! As for relatives that look alike, my uncle and I are nearly identical (though years apart), so it can happen - perhaps not as identical as Patty and Cathy. Off topic: I thought Eddie Applegate, Patty's boyfriend Richard, was very handsome. Let's talk about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2017 7:05 PM

Eddie Applegate would fit right in here. He was like 40 years old during the show's run but thought he didn't look a day over 16.

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2017 7:41 PM

This show needed a transwoman.

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2017 8:58 PM

What [R1] said.Eddie Applegate was in his late twenties I believe,but was great as Richard.I always watched it for Ross.He was so funny to me.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2017 9:46 PM

Does anyone remember the episode where Patty adopts a Korean orphan via a mail order ad? And the Korean orphan was played by a hispanic kid? I guess most people didn't know what Koreans looked like back then.

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2017 10:02 PM

I had a crush on Eddie Applegate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2017 10:51 PM

R5 I have. Or nearly so. Phyllis Newman had (has?) a cousin named Phyllis Newman. As young women, identical.

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2017 11:00 PM

I just watched a couple episodes this morning (including the one with Sal Mineo)! She really was such a good actress. Say what you will about the banality of much of the sitcom writing and plot lines of the time, she did manage to create two different and realistic characters.

by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2017 11:03 PM

Then there's Samantha and Serena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2017 11:07 PM

Were blonde Jeannie and brunette Jeannie cousins or sisters?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2017 11:08 PM

Well, the song was about identical cousins - not identical twins. They would have to get a new song if the show was about identical twins.

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2017 11:59 PM

R24 maybe they were identical twins separated at birth, then raised as cousins (?)

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2017 12:05 AM

R5: A very good friend of mine has an identical cousin who lives in Germany. Even more ironically, the cousin was briefly married to my friend's 1st husband (after my friend dumped the husband).

by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2017 12:10 AM

If comparing identical-adjacent characters , Elizabeth Montgomery wins. Even in the early days, her Serena was consistently different enough and improved as the show wore on.

Barbara Eden seemed to rely more on vocal tricks to differentiate.

As for Patty Duke, sure she was younger and maybe had less experience as an actress. But overall, she didn't consistently bring much difference between what's-her-name and cousin what's-her-name.

by Anonymousreply 27December 8, 2017 12:21 AM

3 Identical Cousins 3 - Don't forget OP, their was a third. Blond with southern accent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 8, 2017 12:23 AM

THERE dammit THERE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 29December 8, 2017 12:24 AM

Um they were identical because they were played by the same actress. It's called a gimmick. Uproarious identity hijinks.

by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2017 12:31 AM

[quote] Why the fuck were they identical cousins and not just twins? Was this concept controversial in the 1940's?

They were twins, but their mother was an underdressed whore and TV wasn't ready to admit that.

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2017 12:35 AM

Greatest TV theme song ever

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2017 12:46 AM

I love the theme song, but it's No. 2 behind The Pruitts of Southampton, Phyllis Diller's short-lived sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2017 12:54 AM

Barbara Eden was a terrible actress. She somehow has survived telling that story about Desi Arnaz putting the moves on her when she played a small pat 500 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2017 3:28 AM

Eden wasn't subtle but she was actually an excellent performer in her exuberant niche, especially in musicals. She was a great belter and did a lot of musicals in stock. She was fantastic as Lalume in a 1960s ABC TV version of Kismet. Clips used to be available on youtube, I don't know whether they are still there.

by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2017 3:43 AM

Still there r35!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2017 5:52 PM

[quote]R35 She was fantastic as Lalume in a 1960s ABC TV version of Kismet.

And thankfully, her best work is preserved on YouTube....such as SPINNING WHEEL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2017 6:20 PM

Barbara when she did Sally Bowles at the Roy Moore Dinner Theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2017 6:52 PM

R38 if only she had founded a Barbara Eden Dinner Theater, like the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater in Florida. She could have done THE CLASSICS!

So much time lost....

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2017 7:12 PM

Barbara Eden IS Medea!

Barbara Eden IS Hedda Gabler!

Barbara Eden IS Camille!

by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2017 8:38 PM

Does anyone have video from Barbara Eden's run as Mother Courage?

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2017 1:35 AM

No r41, but I have the spot remover commercial she did dressed as Lady MacBeth.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2017 1:48 AM

Can we please stick to the topic on hand, Patty Duke. Thank You!

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2017 2:10 AM

I'd rather discuss her identical cousin Doris.

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2017 2:12 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 45February 2, 2018 11:17 PM

My father had an identical cousin. Seriously. When they were kids they could fool each other's parents. They looked and sounded alike. I can't vouch for the sound but I saw pictures. They were identical. They lost track of each other after high school. Rumor was the cousin died in WWII.

by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2018 1:10 AM

A friend of mine has an identical couisin who married her first husband. Fortunately the cousin dumped him, too.

by Anonymousreply 47February 3, 2018 1:30 AM

Here's Cathy who takes it anywhere

in the mouth or derriere

While Patty's on her knees at night

Rimming guys in Brooklyn Heights

by Anonymousreply 48February 3, 2018 1:41 AM

A hot dog makes her lose control.

by Anonymousreply 49February 3, 2018 4:58 AM

Jeannie 2 was her sister, not cousin

by Anonymousreply 50February 3, 2018 5:49 AM

R32 I loved it when ROSEANNE spoofed it after Original Becky returned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 30, 2021 9:12 PM

OP What about the collection of unlikelies on Gilligan's Island? With a movie star who apparently brought along some gowns for a 3 hour tour and the millionaire Thurston Howell could certainly afford his own yacht. Making sense of nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2021 9:48 PM

omg this thread made be piss my Depends

so DL

by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2021 9:51 PM

Cathy's "father" was the identical twin brother of Patty's father, so coming from an American father she didn't have to have a legit accent. Supposedly, Sidney Sheldon (the schlock novelist and creator of the awful "I Dream of Jeannie" had Duke spend some time at his home with his family and noticed a duality in her personality--hence the identical cousins with different personalities.

"I Dream of Jeannie" was expected to fail--it really was meant to be a cheap knockoff of "Bewitched"---and this is why the first season was in black & white. The show was never very good---Larry Hagman was about as bad as "new Darrin", a lot of reaction shots and not much of a part. Eden deserves some award for milking a bad sitcom and being pursued by Desi Arnaz (she had a lot of company) into a career. She was the queen of dinner theater for years. If it wasn't her, it was Ruta Lee and her leading men included guys like Larry Blyden.

by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2021 10:12 PM

R54. That’s Tony winner Larry Blyden to you, asshole!

by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2021 11:09 PM

Blyden did a lot of scattered television. I remember him mostly from game shows. Definite dinner theater material.

by Anonymousreply 56May 1, 2021 1:53 AM

Vote for me

by Anonymousreply 57May 1, 2021 2:16 AM

How come The Patty Duke Show was in black-and-white for all its 3 seasons? It originally aired from 1963-1966. Gilligan's Island, which began in '64 was only in B&W for the first season.

by Anonymousreply 58May 1, 2021 3:32 AM

I thought I heard Patty mention in an interview, or maybe in her autobiography, that the network debated but didn't want to spend the extra money for the show to go to color its third season, but that if it had got picked up for a fourth it would have definitely gone to color (as became the case by then for all the 3 main TV networks' shows).

by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2021 3:40 AM

They had Patty AND Cathy's salaries to pay R58.

by Anonymousreply 60May 1, 2021 3:40 AM

R7 You'll find a WML episode in which HM played mystery guest with a southern accent. It demonstrates why she'd never be in the running to play Scarlett O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 61May 1, 2021 4:01 AM

Cousin Cathy was relegated to walk ons for most of the third season

by Anonymousreply 62May 1, 2021 4:09 AM

R5 yes, Laura Palmer & Maddie Ferguson. And I killed them both!

by Anonymousreply 63May 1, 2021 7:02 AM

R58: Most shows were in b&w when The Patty Duke Show started and only NBC had a large number of them (Duke's show was on ABC which had only a few, CBS had none). The show was not renewed for a fourth season because United Artists would not accept ABC's terms for filming it in color. It wasn't a huge amount of money but they clearly had no idea that the show would do well in syndication. I suspect ABC drove a hard bargain because the show did very poorly early in its last year and recovered only after it received Batman as a lead-in. They probably didn't have much faith in the show's durability either.

by Anonymousreply 64May 1, 2021 5:12 PM

[quote]Why the fuck were they identical cousins and not just twins?

Tsar Nicholas II of Russia & the UK's King George V were identical cousins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 2, 2021 7:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!