Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Study: Canola oil is bad for your brain

Commonly called canola oil because "rapeseed oil" is not a marketable name, it's the go-to cheap cooking oil and it's everywhere. It is different from vegetable oil, but is often incorporated into vegetable oil.

In a separate study, olive oil was shown to be beneficial for brain health.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 17, 2018 1:17 AM

Rapeseed oil has been asked to resign.8

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2017 3:29 PM

I bought cold pressed which studies proved to be fine but I’ll just toss out the Canola.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2017 3:30 PM

Wow - almost every list puts Canola oil at the top for health and cooking (high smoke point). Those Canola oil people must really have good marketing. I don't use a lot of oil, but periodically do need to use it. Is pure vegetable oil the best overall - olive oil has a strong taste that sometimes overpowers whatever you're cooking.

Sunflower is bad and apparently has higher incidence of cancer in tests.

Soy Bean is high in Omega 6 which compete against Omega 3 for heart health benefits (lowering them).

Light olive oil is chemically processed.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2017 3:41 PM

BUTTER

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2017 3:46 PM

I've been using avocado oil for a few years now; I started back whenever Costco started selling big bottles for $10. I thought you weren't supposed to cook with olive oil (beyond low heat, anyway) because it oxidizes quickly, making excessive free radicals.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2017 3:48 PM

R4, I love butter, too.

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2017 3:49 PM

[quote]For one thing, the canola-fed mice gained weight, while the mice fed olive oil did not. All of the mice were fed the same number of calories. The mice that ate canola performed 40 to 45 percent worse on working memory tests than those that ate the regular diet. Short-term memory, which improved by 40 percent in the EVOO mice, was 50 percent worse in the canola mice than in control-group mice (those that got no additional oils). The connections between brain cells were considerably reduced in the canola mice. While tau was not affected, the mice that had eaten canola had more clumps of amyloid than the control mice.

[quote]Pratico said he considers the study a “red flag” for canola oil users, though he would not tell people to stop eating it. However, he said, he doesn’t think there’s adequate evidence to claim it’s a healthy alternative to olive oil.

[quote]In both studies, the mice ate the human equivalent of about one tablespoon of oil a day.

[quote]Pratico now would like to study corn oil and a diet richer in animal fat. He also wants to alter doses of canola oil to see how much is needed to induce brain changes and whether changes are reversible.

[quote]As to why canola might affect the brain differently than olive oil, Pratico said he is not sure. He said olive oil is richer in phenolic compounds, which “are well known to have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2017 3:57 PM

I had read canola oil wasn't great, then a few days ago I was looking up omega-3:omega-6 fatty acid ratios in oils and fats and canola had a good enough profile where I was reconsidering my position. Reading canola oil helps with bone mineraliztion in "Canola oil vs Coconut oil" in SFGate's "Healthy Eating" complicated the matter. Apparently it's not the omega-3:omega-6 ratio that's the culprit but the industrial processing of the rapeseed into canola oil that makes it toxic to the brain. The rapeseed is washed in hexane, which is an air pollutant and neurotoxin.

Neither the solvent-extraction of canola oil nor hexane is mentioned in today's newspaper items about the Temple University study.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2017 4:15 PM

Why didn't they call it Canova oil?

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2017 4:35 PM

I use Ole oil.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2017 5:19 PM

The documented benefits of olive oil sure outweigh the extra expense for me. It's too bad so many mass market foods contain canola. Reading the labels in my pantry was a bit shocking today.

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2017 6:19 PM

When I was 3 my mom was worried when she saw me reading labels on boxes of food. She took me to a doctor who got me diagnosed with high-functioning autism. This was in the 1980s when you actually had to get a diagnosis. Over the next decade, things just got worse.

The rise of autism correlates with the rise of obesity. How often do you see people on the autism spectrum who are physically fit?

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2017 6:48 PM

It causes canolingus.

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2017 7:16 PM

If you're determined to never use canola oil in your diet don't ever buy Italian olive oil. The Italian olive oil industry is rife with corruption, and many of the brands that are sold have only 50% real olive with the rest being a mixture of different oils but mostly canola.

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2017 7:31 PM

Have you actually read the ingredients list for "Beyond Meat"? It has canola oil in it. [italic]South Park[/italic] was right; that stuff is crap.

I prefer the paleo version of Beyond Meat: it's called meat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2017 2:17 PM

True R14 a lot of Italian, Greek, and Spanish olive oil is fake like that. Unless you know exactly where the olives were grown, harvested, and processed in Southern Europe, and know the people who make the olive oil, it's probably fake.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2018 9:22 PM

I only use extra virgin olive oil and only buy certified. Just as an interesting tidbit, corruption in the olive oil trade has been a thing since ancient Roman times.

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2018 9:27 PM

I’ve never used Canola. Not once.

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2018 9:29 PM

It goes rancid between recipes. I have only ever used olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2018 9:32 PM

I only agreed to go out to dinner with the rapeseed oil. I didn't mean for... I didn't agree to.... Oh! *Flees from room, weeping uncontrollably*

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2018 9:39 PM

It lacks Wessonality.

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2018 9:45 PM

if you are cooking on medium to high heat, butter. Or ghee. or peanut oil. Rapeseed oil is gross.

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2018 9:46 PM

I live in an area that grows a lot of canola. I have never used it. It tastes strange to me. I was once mocked by a local for saying I didn’t trust canola oil, which was “created”.

I use olive oil and sunflower oil from Ukraine. They don’t grow canola in Ukraine, and sunflower oil is cheap there.

I fry potatoes in sunflower oil, fry onions in butter, and use olive oil for salads.

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2018 9:53 PM

I keep cubes of bacon/lard - lardons in French - in little packs. Can fry many things in that. My cholesterol is fine.

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2018 9:56 PM

Why do people buy this unnatural poison?.. It is so simple to make your own all natural olive oil. Simply plant an olive tree. Wait five years. Pick the olives by hand under a new moon.You harvest the olives by knocking them out of trees onto fresh linen cloths laid on the ground You wash the olives and separate out as many leaves as you can. Purchase a half ton rolling stone..You crush the olives by hand into a paste using your large rolling stone. If you've ever seen an olive as it comes off a tree, you know that it has a very hard seed inside, sort of like a miniaturized peach pit. These seeds get crushed too.You then spin the paste in your handy centrifuge to separate the oil . You filter the oil through new muslin at least six times. You bottle the oil in hand blown tinted glass bottles.. Sealed with new cork stoppers.. Note unless you are a virgin you can not label your oil Virgin. Easy peesy.

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2018 9:58 PM

R25 is an extra virgin.

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2018 9:59 PM

They even have nitrite free lardons. Though I tend to wonder if nitrites are fine. Nutritional scientists haven't pass judgement on them. They could be bad, but humans consume a lot naturally and could be good, and the body even makes and uses them.

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2018 9:59 PM

How’s peanut oil? That’s what I’ve been using. Canola tastes bad to me. Also use safflower oil. Maybe mixing it up a bit is better.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2018 10:08 PM

R4 Yes, butter, butter, butter! I lived to 91--a few days short of 92--so I know what I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2018 10:10 PM

R20 #metoo

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2018 10:17 PM

I use Olive oil and sometimes Sunflower oil.

Olive oil isn't a lot more expensive here in Europe and Sunflower oil is the same price (or cheaper) than Canola (Rapeseed) oil as the Canola is better for Biodiesel.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2018 10:20 PM

I use peanut for high heat, corn for ordinary use, and olive oil for delicate flavoring/Italian foods.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2018 10:31 PM

Haven't done any high-heat/deep frying since the Air-Fryer was launched almost 10 years ago.

R31

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2018 10:45 PM

R29 For frying, Peanut oil is one of the best tasting..

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2018 11:00 PM

I used canola for about 5 years, because of the claim that it was good for you. I finally gave up on it because of how it made my kitchen stink with it's smell, I hated the smell of it. Now I use a sunflower oil that I buy at Trader Joe's. Olive oil for other things. For extra virgin olive oil needs I use California Olive Ranch. Butter always works, too.

by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2018 11:08 PM

I don't like the smell of it either. I use Californian olive oil for most things now.

by Anonymousreply 36November 15, 2018 12:30 AM

I hate the taste of olive oil.

Either canola or sunflower oil for me.

by Anonymousreply 37November 15, 2018 12:38 AM

A lot of rape is grown in East Anglia in South-Eastern England near where I was at university. That stuff absolutely stinks. It smells of rotting cabbage, or old wet socks that have been left in a bucket to go mouldy. The local kids are told to steer clear of it because it's pollen causes allergic reactions, and the sap from the plants can cause skin irritation. It's hard to see this stuff as health food.

I don't agree about the reliability of Italian olive oil, incidentally. Olives are mostly grown in the self-disciplined North, around Tuscany, Umbria and Liguria; well away from Mafia-land in the South. The growers and the local authorities are well aware that it would be a commercial disaster if Italian oil got the reputation for being adulterated, so controls are pretty tight. If you buy your cooking oils from a well-known brand like Filipe Berio, you won't be getting great-tasting oil, but you will be getting genuine Italian olive oil. If you want the great-tasting stuff as a salad dressing or condiment, go to a deli and get a special bottle. You will pay $50 - 70 for a nice locally pressed oil, but it will be really good. It is equally expensive in Italy, and you can taste that it is not adulterated.

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2018 1:16 AM

Wrong about Filipo Berio, R38; in a test, that oil was also not what it was supposed to be. Same with Carapelli. I live in southern Europe and buy olive oil directly from the producer at the farmers' market. It's dark green, opaque and with an inch of olive sludge at the bottom. Tip - put olive oil in the fridge; if it solidifies, it's olive oil. But it may not be extra-virgin however.

by Anonymousreply 39November 15, 2018 2:17 AM

All right, now I'm confused.

Tell me, the bottom line, DL: what oil should I use for the pan-frying that I sometimes do?

by Anonymousreply 40November 15, 2018 9:33 AM

[quote]what oil should I use for the pan-frying that I sometimes do?

I use olive oil. I can't stand cleaning up after pan-frying, so I really don't do it more than four times a year. And I'm just talking sauteeing, not deep-frying.

by Anonymousreply 41November 15, 2018 9:38 AM

Sauteeing is what I'm talking about, r41.

I don't deep-fry anything, but I thought that olive oil shouldn't even be heated to the point where you can really fry out a nice steak?

by Anonymousreply 42November 15, 2018 9:40 AM

Canola gets its name from canada-oil. Another shitty product from that frozen wasteland along with ice hockey and Tim Hortons.

by Anonymousreply 43November 15, 2018 9:45 AM

For steak, I would use butter. For potatoes, sunflower oil, but not domestic brands, as they are too refined. For anything else, sunflower oil, peanut oil, safflower oil, or avocado oil.

by Anonymousreply 44November 15, 2018 9:45 AM

When baking, if a recipe calls for vegetable oil, I substitute coconut oil.

by Anonymousreply 45November 15, 2018 9:50 AM

Yes, I forgot coconut oil! I use it when I prepare Thai stir fry curries. It gives a very subtle sweetness.

by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2018 9:52 AM

Bad effects of sunflower oil

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2018 10:10 AM

r9

You're at least on the right track

by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2018 11:10 AM

Is pig lard any good?

by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2018 11:11 AM

[quote]If you're determined to never use canola oil in your diet don't ever buy Italian olive oil. The Italian olive oil industry is rife with corruption, and many of the brands that are sold have only 50% real olive with the rest being a mixture of different oils but mostly canola.

It's old news. Italy has cracked down on fraud in the last 2 years in a big way. New strict legislation has been passed. Even so, if you want good Italian olive oil, you have to know that it's expensive and you have to go the small producers. Check labels and go to their websites.

Anyway, if I lived in the states, I'd go with Californian oil. I've had olive oil from California that was excellent.

And BTW: good olive oil does not smell.

I've never used canola oil...I only use olive oil, butter or lard. I also save the fat if I'm cooking pork or beef and use it later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2018 11:43 AM

If you want a mild tasting oil then try rice bran oil. It has a high smoke point and is ok for cholesterol levels. I started using it to cook for my parents as my mother dislikes the taste of olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 51November 15, 2018 11:59 AM

What does the DL suggest for baking and stir-frys? I need something with a high smoke point and that doesn't have a flavor.

R51 where do you find rice bran oil?

by Anonymousreply 52November 15, 2018 12:25 PM

Banned from my kitchen after one (awful-smelling) use.

8 parts peanut oil, 1 part sesame oil for Asian stir-fry.

by Anonymousreply 53November 15, 2018 12:27 PM

Doesn’t all oil solidify in the fridge? Good olive oil doesn’t smell...?!

by Anonymousreply 54November 15, 2018 12:51 PM

[quote] As to why canola might affect the brain differently than olive oil, Pratico said he is not sure. He said olive oil is richer in phenolic compounds, which “are well known to have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.”

Is that all they have for a theory...?

I think r8 is on to something.

by Anonymousreply 55November 15, 2018 1:00 PM

[quote]Good olive oil doesn’t smell...?!

No, it doesn't "smell". It has a light scent. The same intensity as a good sweet butter.

by Anonymousreply 56November 15, 2018 1:02 PM

I only ever use ole.

by Anonymousreply 57November 15, 2018 1:18 PM

It's only bad for my brain?

by Anonymousreply 58November 15, 2018 1:21 PM

Is it worse than palm oil?

by Anonymousreply 59November 15, 2018 1:25 PM

It does NOT cause canolingus, r13!

by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2018 1:31 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2018 1:47 PM

I've always thought canola oil tastes horrible, so I don't use it. I mainly use olive oil. I also keep sunflower oil, butter, coconut oil, and bacon fat for use in specific recipes. I like peanut oil, but peanut products cause inflammation in me, so I avoid it. Second to flavor nastiness after canola oil is soybean oil, which ruins the taste of anything. It also causes inflammation. That mean I don't eat a lot of processed foods.

by Anonymousreply 62November 15, 2018 1:56 PM

wtf is wrong with my typing skills. You get the gist.

by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2018 1:58 PM

What’s wrong with good old Crisco??

by Anonymousreply 64November 15, 2018 2:06 PM

Sally Fallon is a good reference for anyone who needs to learn about oils and healthy cooking. So much of what she advocated is turning out to be true. Per her recommendation, I use animal based oils for cooking - bacon fat is my favorite. Good quality butter gets used, but only in the last stages of cooking. We get uncured, naturally raised bacon up this way, so I'm fairly confident of the quality and yes, there's a huge difference. I wouldn't dare try it with CAFO bacon.

I learned that overheating oils creates toxins that the body doesn't deal with too well (cellulite is one result), so olive oil is only used in my house for salads and as a dressing at the last minute AFTER cooking. I store it in a dark, cool place in the pantry, and yeah, I buy a brand from Tuscany because I know it's really good. It's from a Biodynamic farm and though it's crazy expensive, I use it sparingly, so a small bottle lasts about 6 months.

I also took an Indian cooking class years ago and we had a whole day talking about the various cooking oils and it was understood that you never overheat them, no matter what you use.

by Anonymousreply 65November 15, 2018 2:28 PM

Would you come to my house and viciously slap my partner? I buy good oils and fats, but he overheats everything until it's a choking toxic cloud of death.

by Anonymousreply 66November 15, 2018 2:41 PM

Sure, R66, if it would help. Violence in the kitchen ruins the meal, tho', so I'll let you handle the rough stuff elsewhere.

Best advice I ever gave or received re: cooking: you control the fire and so you must TEND it. Relax and give yourself the time to cook a wonderful meal. Put on some good tunes and prep before you fire it up.

I used to turn off the heat if things got too rushed or I forgot to prep something ahead. As a kid I learned a lot from Julia Child about getting things ready and having a joy around cooking meals that never left me. Run a few of her tapes with your partner, with a great glass or two of a good red, and talk about how we are what we eat so not matter what we cook - canned, fresh, or frozen - should be done with love. Organic goes a long way, but love makes up for a lot when you have to live on a budget.

by Anonymousreply 67November 15, 2018 2:56 PM

Can someone here recommend a good unadulterated brand of extra virgin olive oil?

by Anonymousreply 68November 15, 2018 4:02 PM

Any word on grape seed oil? It is always recommended for high temperature cooking. I have a bottle of it in my pantry that I got to use in a salad dressing recipe, and it's just sitting there.

by Anonymousreply 69November 15, 2018 5:35 PM

I've always stood by the classics. Olive oil, butter, and animal fat. It is what we have used through all of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 70November 15, 2018 5:41 PM

The Greeks and Southern Italians eat tons of olive oil and those places are fucked up! So much for it being good for your brain.

by Anonymousreply 71November 15, 2018 6:12 PM

Over 70 threads, and no one's commented yet on epic gayface in the picture at OP's link?

by Anonymousreply 72November 15, 2018 7:26 PM

^70 posts, duh.

by Anonymousreply 73November 15, 2018 7:30 PM

R52, I am in UK and just get it at the local supermarket but it is the oil that is used in a lot of East Asian cooking for stir fries etc so if you can’t get it in your local supermarket I imagine you can get it in a Chinese food supplies type shop. I just assumed it would be widely available there too.

by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2018 7:50 PM

Read Fats that heal, fats that kill by Udo Erasmus.

by Anonymousreply 75November 16, 2018 2:38 AM

Foods cooked in canola oil gives me horrible gas (I've seen it happen to other people). If you check the labels on most pre-prepared foods (e.g. Trader Joe's salads, sandwiches, etc), almost all of them will have canola oil.

by Anonymousreply 76November 16, 2018 4:33 AM

You’re going to die anyway whatever you do. Use the oil of your choice.

by Anonymousreply 77November 16, 2018 5:07 AM

Canola oil can impart a fishy odour to potatoes and chicken. I noticed this years ago before reading about it. The first time I was celebrating Hannukah with a friend who fried the latkes in this toxic industrial oil. It vaguely smelled of fish and chips! All of these vegetable seed cake oils are unhealthy. I'll take the risk of adulterated olive oil before I ever buy canola, soybean, or mixed vegetable oils. I use butter, ghee, schmaltz, beef fat, and bacon fat when not using olive oils. Coconut for baking desserts. I'm not sure on the science, but on the rare occasions my mum fries, she uses safflower and grapeseed from La Torangelle. She was a trained chef, and smarter than most when it comes to healthier choices. She has given up preaching to her friends about the evils of canola and soy, as they think she is a fanatic.

by Anonymousreply 78November 16, 2018 6:01 AM

Canola is a shit GMO oil. Best avoided.

by Anonymousreply 79November 16, 2018 6:35 AM

R43 sounds black.

by Anonymousreply 80November 16, 2018 6:39 AM

Indeed R79. It contains Glyphosate residue too. Before it was genetically modified, it was "naturally" toxic on its own due to the high Erucic acid content.

by Anonymousreply 81November 16, 2018 6:42 AM

R71, such a Karen Walker comment. Came here knowing I'd find it😅

by Anonymousreply 82November 16, 2018 6:48 AM

I am not a mouse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 16, 2018 7:08 AM

You're not a whiff smarter than a mouse if you believe Canola is healthy R83. Rather than argue against animal models in studies, you should research the history of turning canola into an [italic] edible [/italic] oil. If you still believe it is a health food, continue to enjoy your GMO Rapeseed, Glyphosate and Hexane cocktail my friend.

by Anonymousreply 84November 16, 2018 7:16 AM

California Olive Ranch brand oils are no longer made from purely Californian olives. They claim its due to shortages and changing climate.

by Anonymousreply 85November 16, 2018 7:21 AM

R83 If I were you, I would check and double check whether there isn't a conflict of influence with the writer. The only one to comment positively on her article is "THE" Kevin Folta. He is a big time biotech shill, and in addition to a podcast, has a prominent place on Genetic Literacy Project. A bogus website for Big Ag and Biotechnology. ALL MONSANTO SHILLS.

by Anonymousreply 86November 16, 2018 7:24 AM

Ghee (clarified butter) has quite a high smoke point and tastes good too. But (apart from butter) the best tasting fat is duck or goose lard. Lip-smacking good.

by Anonymousreply 87November 16, 2018 1:00 PM

You can't fry latkes in bacon fat.

by Anonymousreply 88November 16, 2018 1:48 PM

What's the consensus on safflower oil ? Safflowers are so pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 16, 2018 1:54 PM

Safflower oil is great for baking because it has very little flavor of it's own, that it won't impart it into what you are baking. I have found it difficult to find where I live. I use to use it a lot, but now, no where to be found here.

by Anonymousreply 90November 16, 2018 2:39 PM

R88 Sure you can. Jewish food doesn't have to be Kosher for most of us. I use light olive oil or schmaltz personally.

by Anonymousreply 91November 16, 2018 3:53 PM

Ew, schmaltz? You wouldn't have that problem if you got a shower wand.

by Anonymousreply 92November 16, 2018 3:56 PM

R92 You're confusing schmutz with rendered chicken fat my goyish friend.

by Anonymousreply 93November 16, 2018 3:59 PM

I use butter or ghee for light pan frying. Peanut oil for deep frying. Coconut oil or butter for baking. Olive oil for everything else.

by Anonymousreply 94November 16, 2018 5:37 PM

Ugh. So many people seem to use so many different oils for different purposes. Is there not one (or two) that can be used for mostly everything?

by Anonymousreply 95November 17, 2018 12:34 AM

Not a good idea R95, as they are not suitable to every use. You need a high smoke point (can tolerate high temps without breaking down) for deep frying, baking, and medium-high for sautéing, and some have flavours that are too strong for certain things like baking. It is healthier to consume a variety rather than solely relying on one type. Better to inform yourself so you can make the best choices.

by Anonymousreply 96November 17, 2018 12:42 AM

I've found some really good tasting olive and other oils at Homegoods. You have to check the label date, though, to make sure it isn't old. A lot of their stock is extras from trade shows. But I've had generally good luck there.

by Anonymousreply 97November 17, 2018 1:09 AM

R97 Many great food items and condiments too.

by Anonymousreply 98November 17, 2018 1:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!