Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Travolta blasts "fake news" surrounding delayed Gotti movie

John Travolta told Deadline he is upset that fast-spreading news reports twisted the truth as Lionsgate pulled his upcoming film Gotti off its release calendar 10 days before its bow. He worried the reports marginalized what he considers one of his better performances as the iconic Gambino crime family head John Gotti in the Kevin Connolly-directed film.

Given how the subject matter lends itself to phrases from mob movies, it’s easy to see how the blogosphere might speculate this film would, well, sleep with the fishes. The truth is far different, Travolta said.

“Unfortunately, the reports were speculation bordering on fake news,” Travolta told Deadline. “Lionsgate was planning on a minimal release, and I did an investigation into people who might have the interest and financial wherewithal to better release it. Ed is a fan of mine and of the Gotti story and really wanted to see the movie. I invited his group, they saw it and bought it. That is the simple explanation for this.

It wasn’t dropped. It wasn’t easy to get Lionsgate to give it up. They said no, twice, and I literally begged them to reconsider and they finally and generously let it go. We signed this deal about three weeks ago, to purchase back the film from Lionsgate. Our mistake was we should have said something right then and discussed our plan for the film. We didn’t anticipate this speculation that is so grossly wrong.”

“This is a big movie-star film, with a multi-dimensional, iconic character portrayed by one of the great multi-talented actors. We are hoping to take this movie to Cannes; it’s a movie-star film that deserves the glitter of Cannes and then a wide release shortly thereafter.”

Travolta and Walson said they are near a deal with a significant distributor they wouldn’t divulge, to facilitate that. They will submit to Cannes as an official submission, but they hope the film will premiere on the Croisette one way or another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2018 4:22 PM

I agree with Travolta’s explanation. The movie deserved better than the treatment that LionsGate was giving it.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2017 10:14 PM

Anyone can make a bad movie or two or three or four

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2017 10:18 PM

i just wish he had not said "fake news" and JT has made MANY MANY GREAT movies you dope. christ on a crutch.

Pulp Fiction, Phenomenon, Sat. Night Fever, Michael, Look Whose Talking...it was cute. Primary Colors,

She's SO Lovely with Penn and Wright: fabulous film.... any shitty film John has made is brilliant compared to some of the complete and total duds De Niro has made and probably will make just for the money.....

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2017 10:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2018 5:05 PM

He has some some good movies r3, but you'll note that everything you named was at least 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2018 5:09 PM

[quote]i just wish he had not said "fake news"

Yeah the Trump-speak made me cringe.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2018 5:09 PM

[quote]This is a big movie-star film,

Bless his stupid heart.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2018 5:12 PM

Did he refer to himself in the third person as an iconic actor? Or does he mean someone else?

If it’s former - ego or what! Right up there with DJT - whose ‘fake news’ catchphrase he uncomfortably borrows...

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2018 5:15 PM

[QUOTE]This is a big movie-star film, with a multi-dimensional, iconic character portrayed by one of the great multi-talented actors.

John certainly thinks very highly of himself. 😂

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2018 5:16 PM

Poor Travolta doesn't realize that in the modern era, he is more known for being a sad scientologist who laughably tries to cling to the closet while he goes around presenting hole to every masseur he meets.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2018 5:19 PM

Literacy on this thread is non-existent. Learn to read people and follow who quotes are attributed to.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2018 5:19 PM

To whom quotes are attributed

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2018 5:23 PM

Sure, John......

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2018 5:24 PM

R1 so you've seen the movie and know more than the Lionsgate executives?

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2018 5:26 PM

[quote]insert gif

Oh god. Please don't.

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2018 5:27 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2018 5:28 PM

I'm too generous as this film would have taken all of the Academy Awards if Lionsgate released it last year. A lower release at Cannes will give those other lesser films a chance.

I'm also a very stable genius.

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2018 5:31 PM

He is so delusional.

by Anonymousreply 18January 9, 2018 5:40 PM

Thank you, r12.

I confess I've entirely given up correcting those two mistakes (use of who/ whom, and ending a phrase with a preposition), since even esteemed publications, and the US government, seem to have given up any attempt to propagate standard grammar.

So thanks for your efforts; I'm just afraid they will have been in vain.

by Anonymousreply 19January 9, 2018 6:47 PM

She's getting her knickers in a twist.

by Anonymousreply 20January 9, 2018 7:11 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2018 3:21 PM

Travolta still has his charisma and magnetism

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2018 4:16 PM

No you don't, John

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2018 4:17 PM

The reviews are coming in and I've rarely read things so vicious. It's currently at 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2018 4:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!