Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Travolta blasts "fake news" surrounding delayed Gotti movie

John Travolta told Deadline he is upset that fast-spreading news reports twisted the truth as Lionsgate pulled his upcoming film Gotti off its release calendar 10 days before its bow. He worried the reports marginalized what he considers one of his better performances as the iconic Gambino crime family head John Gotti in the Kevin Connolly-directed film.

Given how the subject matter lends itself to phrases from mob movies, it’s easy to see how the blogosphere might speculate this film would, well, sleep with the fishes. The truth is far different, Travolta said.

“Unfortunately, the reports were speculation bordering on fake news,” Travolta told Deadline. “Lionsgate was planning on a minimal release, and I did an investigation into people who might have the interest and financial wherewithal to better release it. Ed is a fan of mine and of the Gotti story and really wanted to see the movie. I invited his group, they saw it and bought it. That is the simple explanation for this.

It wasn’t dropped. It wasn’t easy to get Lionsgate to give it up. They said no, twice, and I literally begged them to reconsider and they finally and generously let it go. We signed this deal about three weeks ago, to purchase back the film from Lionsgate. Our mistake was we should have said something right then and discussed our plan for the film. We didn’t anticipate this speculation that is so grossly wrong.”

“This is a big movie-star film, with a multi-dimensional, iconic character portrayed by one of the great multi-talented actors. We are hoping to take this movie to Cannes; it’s a movie-star film that deserves the glitter of Cannes and then a wide release shortly thereafter.”

Travolta and Walson said they are near a deal with a significant distributor they wouldn’t divulge, to facilitate that. They will submit to Cannes as an official submission, but they hope the film will premiere on the Croisette one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Wednesday at 1:26 PM

I agree with Travolta’s explanation. The movie deserved better than the treatment that LionsGate was giving it.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Wednesday at 1:14 PM

Anyone can make a bad movie or two or three or four

by Anonymousreply 2Last Wednesday at 1:18 PM

i just wish he had not said "fake news" and JT has made MANY MANY GREAT movies you dope. christ on a crutch.

Pulp Fiction, Phenomenon, Sat. Night Fever, Michael, Look Whose Talking...it was cute. Primary Colors,

She's SO Lovely with Penn and Wright: fabulous film.... any shitty film John has made is brilliant compared to some of the complete and total duds De Niro has made and probably will make just for the money.....

by Anonymousreply 3Last Wednesday at 1:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!