Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it time for a Generation X president?

Will Trump be the last Boomer president in our lifetime?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2018 9:24 PM

We had one. Barack Obama, born 1961.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2017 8:42 PM

If anything it’s time for a Millennial president.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2017 8:43 PM

To reiterate what R1 said, Obama was Gen X

[quote] Demographers William Strauss and Neil Howe rejected the frequently used 1964 end date of the baby boomer cohort (which results in a 1965 start year for Generation X), saying that a majority of those born between 1961–1964 do not self-identify as boomers, and that they are culturally distinct from boomers in terms of shared historical experiences. Howe says that while many demographers use 1965 as a start date for Generation X, this is a statement about fertility in the population (birth rates which began declining in 1957, declined more sharply following 1964) and fails to take into consideration the shared history and cultural identity of the individuals. Strauss and Howe define Generation X as those born between 1961–1981.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2017 8:50 PM

It definitely is time for a gen x pres. If Newsom wins in California he should be our candidate in 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2017 8:50 PM

Yeah Obama’s proof that the 1964 cutoff date for boomers is wrong. Obama is totally gen x.

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2017 8:57 PM

Since Strauss and Howe "invented" Gen X (and wrote the seminal book on it) and say the years were 1961-81, I'd go with their take.

Since Obama was an oldest child and born to a very young mother, his Gen X-ness is even stronger.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2017 9:00 PM

Douglas Coupland who wrote the novel Generation X was born in 1961. As an early Xer, I a) thought it described my cohorts pretty well and b) thought it was a typical Gen X experience to lose one's own generational designation.

Baby Boomers remember Kennedy's assassination. I don't. I do remember Watergate and Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2017 9:10 PM

I thought Obama was a Boomer and Generation X started in '65?

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2017 10:37 PM

No, we already had a Dead Kennedy, no more punks, please.

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2017 10:47 PM

We need a gay Jewish president and I couldn't care less when he was born.

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2017 11:09 PM

Newsom doesn't have a chance in hell of winning a national election.

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2017 11:27 PM

Experience is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2017 11:31 PM

Tired of the ageism. Get over it. A qualified energetic candidate of any age, who is generally healthy, is worth everyone's consideration.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2017 11:41 PM

Sanders was born when, during Grover Cleveland's administration?

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2017 11:46 PM

Which one, R14?

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2017 11:48 PM

[quote] A qualified energetic candidate of any age, who is generally healthy, is worth everyone's consideration.

No. No more. Boomers have been "take, take, take, me, me, me," culminating in this latest and most disgusting president.

They've had their moment in the sun. Longer than any other generation, in fact. Time for them to let younger generations decide their own future.

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2017 11:50 PM

The Boomers will NEVER give over the reins to a younger generation, you can count on it. They will be holding on to all the power and money until they drop dead.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2017 11:59 PM

agreed R16. Boomers have been pretty selfish overall. I hope future generations are more community minded.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2017 11:59 PM

[quote]Experience is priceless.

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2017 12:08 AM

Newsome is a semi-dry drunk who was funded by the San Francisco Getty's (Gordan who had a secret second family in LA, right?) Newsome married the social climbing floozy Kimberly Guilfoyle ("woman of color" inspiration for Meghan Markle?) . If I remember correctly, he was boozing it up, had an inappropriate relationship with an 18 or 19 year old, went to rehab, then had an affair with his chief of staff's wife. This is a game-ender for a Democrat (but not a Republican)

Kimberly dropped him for a rich guy, and had a sprog with him, then he dumped her. She is now having an affair with Scaramucci after servicing Roger Ailes for years.

Gavin and Kimberly are both tainted and Gavin is an unfit candidate for most anything.

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2017 12:33 AM

You are that obsessive anti-Gavin Newsom troll, R20.

He is going to win the California governorship, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2017 12:44 AM

Yes. It's time.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2017 1:11 AM

Yes, I am more than ready for the boomers to step aside. As a group, they've (understandably) had an outsized impact on American culture and politics. That impact started benevolently (ending the Vietnam War), but eventually turned into a dark, self-centered void.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2017 3:55 AM

And let us name that Void as the insatiable narcissism HOLE of the baby-boomers, that like a Black Hole attracts energy to itself, and never lets anything back out again

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2017 4:01 AM

Gavin Newsom had a messy first marriage, but that was ages ago and he's remarried and now has a wholesome-looking family. At this point, no one cares about the first marriage--there were no kids, for one thing. He's already made a political comeback from it.

Bigger issue is will he be too left for middle America. In California, of course, the progressives think he's too pro-business.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2017 4:56 AM

No more Baby Boomer presidents.

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2017 8:50 AM

It's amazing to me how little Baby Boomers care about their kids, their grandkids, or the future of the Earth or mankind in general.

I follow a political forum where I have seen absolutely no criticism of Trump (on the part of Boomers) until it was an issue that directly affected them, and then it was non-stop whining.

Isn't that the definition of a sociopath?

An inability to feel empathy for anybody other than themselves?

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2017 1:22 PM

And you see that selfish attitude reflected here on Datalounge all of the time.

Everything is about how [italic]they[/italic] were the best. Their music, their food, their school years, their wars, etc., and everybody who came after them is inferior and deficient. And they are extremely defensive if you criticize them about their glaring flaws.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2017 1:30 PM

As an old Gen Xer, I can say that they were always self-involved. They were that way when they were young and they're that way now that they're old. Trump, in some ways, is a perfect exemplar for them.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2017 9:52 PM

[quote]Strauss and Howe define Generation X as those born between 1961–1981.

I realize a generation covers 20 years or so but I don't know that I have anything in common with someone born in the 1960s who is now in their 50s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2017 11:24 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2017 12:37 AM

Strauss–Howe generational theory. They used to limit it to a very rigid 18 years per generation, IIRC.

In any case, yes, a younger set of political candidates is essential.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2017 3:21 AM

[quote] Yeah Obama’s proof that the 1964 cutoff date for boomers is wrong. Obama is totally gen x.

I tend to agree. I was born in 1957 and my ex was born in 1964 and we had completely different outlooks on life (one reason he is my ex).

But as a Boomer, I say, yes, it's time we pass the torch to the next generation...as long as it's a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2017 3:31 AM

The older GenXers are just as bad as Boomers. Just look at this wrinkled, old bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2018 8:15 PM

There are gross people across all generations, R34. Look at Trump: Boomer. Look at Paul Ryan: Generation X. Look at Sarah Huckabee-Sanders: Millennial. They are all disgusting people regardless of age!

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2018 8:20 PM

I do want to see a qualified candidate regardless if age. Someone who’s sick and tired of politics as usual and who cares about getting money out of politics. We need a small revolution and stop making billionaires richer.

Having said all that, I am not voting for Gillibrand. I hate that woman for shitting on Franken and Bill Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2018 8:27 PM

I had to do a double-check to confirm that SHS was a millennial. Damn, that is one haggard-looking bitch to be around my age. She looks 45...time has not been kind to her!!

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2018 8:27 PM

R37, being a morally corrupt pile of shit can do that to people. There aren’t too many pretty people areound Trump.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2018 8:29 PM

I was also surprised to learn that Sarah She-Beast Sanders was only in her 30s. She looks significantly older than that.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2018 9:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!