Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Southern California Wildfires Force Thousands to Flee

WTF???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 23, 2019 2:16 PM

OP why the WTF?? I don't see what is so odd about this story to cause you to be such a damn MARY! Drop the drama.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2017 3:42 PM

Nice bi polar metal case overreaction, r1.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2017 3:44 PM

Sorry, R3, but he's right. It's Southern California. And Wildfires. No big WTF.

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2017 3:52 PM

Not in Dec, r3/hon. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2017 3:57 PM

This is an example of something blue state california needs to look to red southeatern states. They need to stop focusing on fire supression and incorporate large scale prescribed burns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2017 4:02 PM

CA is becoming a less habitable place with each year.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2017 4:03 PM

3 wildfires now and the So Cal wildfire don't wipe out out neighborhoods every year. This is usual.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2017 5:00 PM

Santa Paul Ca fire - 175 homes lost and 30,000 people evacuated. 50,000 acres 0% containment. 1 dead.

Sylmar fire - 34 home lost 2,700 homes evacuated

Santa Clarita - 1,000 acres 0% containment.

r1 and r3, YOU'RE WRONG but I'm sure that's not unusual for the two of you.

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2017 7:09 PM

It was REALLY windy last night. Combined with the fact that we've had virtually no measurable rain this fall, and you have very dangerous conditions.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2017 8:07 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2017 11:08 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2017 11:10 PM

Endless coverage.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2017 11:16 PM

I feel bad for the people of Santa Clarita. Earlier this year they had a flood, now they have a fire to contend with.

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2017 11:16 PM

No, these fires are different especially on the heals of Santa Rosa.

The weather is just different here now. It's changed. No rain. Long periods of strange high clouds. Wildfires with no chance of containment that hit homes.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2017 11:17 PM

r1 and r3 on a date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2017 1:02 AM

Now Bel Air along the 405.

Homeless people camped in the brush below the expensive houses set fires to keep warm and then the winds rise.

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2017 2:24 PM

Beverly Glen is closed...massive fire.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2017 2:39 PM

Now it's a rich, white people fire. 405 closed in BOTH directions. END TIMES!

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2017 2:46 PM

Sad Last Days

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2017 2:51 PM

The South has nothing to teach California in the wildfire department. A controlled burn in an area with 50 inches of annual rain is not the same as a controlled burn in an area with 15 inches.

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2017 3:14 PM

These are super-fires, they are advancing a football field a second. This is an ecological disaster.

California is treating them as five different fires: Ventura, San Bernardino, Sylmar, Bel Air, and Santa Clarita.

Live updates:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2017 3:35 PM

Does anyone think someone is setting these fires?

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2017 3:38 PM

It's strange but these fires almost sound strategic. There will be an exodus of democrats out of these counties if for no other reason that there is nothing to come back to. The fires have destroyed everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2017 3:52 PM

A lot of speculation that these are politically connected arsons. In other times, we would have laughed. How depressing that it would even seem like a possibility.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2017 3:56 PM

Not gonna happen, R23.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2017 3:56 PM

If anything, those day laborers will have lots more work because those multi million dollar homes need to be rebuilt. If the fires destroyed neighborhoods like Westwood and WLA, you'd have a bigger problem because many of those homeowners are mortgaged to the teeth and live on credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2017 4:00 PM

West Hollywood gays, I think our time has arrived you whores. : (

You stay safe out there and remember we can always set up camp in another part of Souther Cali. Nothing we can't rebuilt later on. Love you all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2017 4:00 PM

They're being set. I thought the same about the Nor Cal ones.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2017 4:07 PM

You can smell the smoke in Santa Monica this AM!

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2017 4:10 PM

OH NO, Rupert Murdoch's home just exploded as per NBC LA.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2017 4:17 PM

I stand by r16.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2017 4:32 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2017 4:43 PM

sorry re 20 but your wrong. The issue isnt just rain or lack there of... it is vegetation. Both have fire dependant ecosystems with vegetation that needs to burn to reproduce. Some parts of Florida get over 90 inches of rain. Yet they are highly fire prone due to native vegetation that is easily ignited by lightening. Waxly vegetation like saw palmeto burns as hot as Chaparral plants in california: both act as accelerants that spread fire which is required for seed germination. In much of the southeast the prescribed fires are done in the driest and coldest months (jan-feb). The chumash indians regualrly conducted prescribed fires to improve biodiversity.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2017 4:44 PM

But look on the bright side- California is now a Sanctuary State!

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2017 4:53 PM

Hope the Getty Museum survives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2017 4:56 PM

California also has some added species like eucalyptus that spread fire.

by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2017 5:02 PM

Bel Air and Brentwood had a massive fire in 1961 that burned 500 homes including the homes of Burt Lancaster and Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2017 5:04 PM

R35, The Getty is the other side of the 405 Freeway, and for now, is not threatened, thanks to calm winds. (they had already planned to be closed today, due to overall air quality/particulate matter from the Sylmar fire).

However, if this fire had started 24 hours earlier, when the winds were blowing so fiercely, it would have been VERY bad news. The fire would have jumped the 405 wthin minutes and would be raging southwest across the hills of Brentwood, threatening the Getty, Mount Saint Mary's college, Mandeville Canyon.

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2017 5:22 PM

I drove Interstate 15 south on Monday and in the stretch from the Cajon Pass down through Ontario, Norco and Corona the wind was hellacious. Trash blowing all over the freeway, dust, the car shaking... I drove slower than normal but many cars were still just flying right along at 80 mph.

by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2017 5:26 PM

The fire even made it to the Pacific Ocean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2017 5:37 PM

Trump is destroying the world.

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2017 5:39 PM

Jason, get me the hose.

by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2017 9:11 PM

Does anyone seriously think they are being set by someone? Who? Why? Or is it natural?

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2017 9:17 PM

Arsonists?

Who wait until the Santa Ana winds come up?

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2017 11:49 PM

Homeless camps, that's where they are starting...

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2017 1:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2017 4:01 AM

Magic Mountain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2017 4:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2017 4:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2017 4:30 AM

I heard someone on the news say if the fire reaches Santa Paula they'd be unable to do anything about it. I didn't catch why Santa Paula is a problem?

by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2017 4:38 AM

It wasn't me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2017 4:38 AM

Skirball Fire this morning along the Sepulveda Pass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2017 4:48 AM

OT but Eric Garcetti's [slow] Spanish is so understandable.

by Anonymousreply 53December 7, 2017 5:03 AM

r48 I got that alert too.

by Anonymousreply 54December 7, 2017 5:07 AM

The Santa Ana winds have kicked up again. My windows are rattling and my house keeps popping and creaking.

by Anonymousreply 55December 7, 2017 5:15 AM

The only thing I can think of about Santa Paula burning is the thin roads and old wood houses

by Anonymousreply 56December 7, 2017 5:18 AM

Hero

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2017 5:19 AM

No big whoop.

by Anonymousreply 58December 7, 2017 5:49 AM

In an updated story, though THOUSANDS have fled, MILLIONS of illegals have moved into their homes, on fire or not.

by Anonymousreply 59December 7, 2017 6:32 AM

It is only getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 60December 7, 2017 3:03 PM

There was a new fire in Malibu, but it was contained before it could threaten homes.

So I guess Babs's mall won't be having a fire sale.

by Anonymousreply 61December 7, 2017 4:12 PM

[quote] Does anyone think someone is setting these fires?

Considering the last one affected the wine and weed industries, I wouldn't rule it out.

by Anonymousreply 62December 7, 2017 4:14 PM

It looks like Mother Nature is having her period.

by Anonymousreply 63December 7, 2017 4:17 PM

[quote]Arsonists? Who wait until the Santa Ana winds come up?

Are you kidding? That's the perfect cover to make it look accidental.

by Anonymousreply 64December 7, 2017 4:19 PM

That is truly terrifying shit!

by Anonymousreply 65December 7, 2017 4:25 PM

Yeah, what R64 said. Why would anyone be surprised that Arsonists would strike when the ideal conditions are met?

by Anonymousreply 66December 7, 2017 8:08 PM

Is there a law in CA that you must have fire insurance?

by Anonymousreply 67December 7, 2017 10:41 PM

Guys, I have a bunch of stuff in storage in Monrovia. Do I need to go get it before the warehouse burns down? Can I even get out there at this point? Also, I was planning to go to downtown LA on that trip. Is that a mess too?

I recently sold property in the Temecula area, near Murrieta. For years, there was some nutter out there who would set fires every year. I don’t know if they ever caught him. There were a lot of copycat fires out there year after year, so expect more in the Riverside area. Lots of dry brush near the freeways.

by Anonymousreply 68December 7, 2017 10:59 PM

The Liberty Fire broke out in Murrieta just this afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 69December 7, 2017 11:11 PM

It’s probably the copycat pyro out there, R69. Anything near Monrovia yet? Do I have to go rent a truck?

by Anonymousreply 70December 7, 2017 11:25 PM

Yes, you need fire insurance if you live in certain areas and have a mortgage.

by Anonymousreply 71December 8, 2017 12:12 AM

[quote] Is there a law in CA that you must have fire insurance?

If you have a mortgage the bank requires it. You don't have to if you don't have a mortgage but it would be completely insane not to have it.

by Anonymousreply 72December 8, 2017 12:22 AM

How are the DL Californians? Are you safe?

by Anonymousreply 73December 8, 2017 1:28 AM

Safe, but the air is filled with smoke, and the dry winds are doing a number on my eyes, nose, and throat.

by Anonymousreply 74December 8, 2017 1:47 AM

Take care of yourself, R74. It must be tough for people with lung conditions.

by Anonymousreply 75December 8, 2017 1:52 AM

[quote]Guys, I have a bunch of stuff in storage in Monrovia. Do I need to go get it before the warehouse burns down? Can I even get out there at this point? Also, I was planning to go to downtown LA on that trip. Is that a mess too?

I live near Monrovia (where the new Aldi opened today!) No fires anywhere near here. Yet.

by Anonymousreply 76December 8, 2017 5:31 AM

Today I broke down crying after reading a tweet about people trying to rescue [bold]1,000 horses[/bold] and there not being means to save them. KTLA said the fires were entering Los Angeles National Forest. There are a lot of animal sanctuaries in those areas from mosquitoes to wild cats and elephants. : (

I hate tin hats but this fires are suspicious. People can rebuild houses, and so far people are being smart about evacuating, but the bunnie farms and our animal sanctuaries will not be so lucky. Logistically it seems impossible to save every animal.

by Anonymousreply 77December 8, 2017 5:58 AM

I live in Ventura. Monday night and Tuesday were the worst in my area. Safe now, but the sky is still hideous and it stinks like a campfire. We're supposed to boil any tap water before using it for drinking, cooking, etc. There's also a curfew from 10PM-5AM, supposedly to prevent looting in evacuated areas.

by Anonymousreply 78December 8, 2017 6:17 AM

And now San Diego has the Lilac Fires...

by Anonymousreply 79December 8, 2017 7:26 AM

During ww2, the Japanese hatched a plan to start wildfires in the NW.

Killed one woman on a church picnic in Oregon

by Anonymousreply 80December 8, 2017 8:04 AM

Russians?

by Anonymousreply 81December 8, 2017 8:29 AM

One of the tv news anchors said that this was too coincidental to be a natural disaster. I was shocked he said that on tv. I think there is a growing concern with Californians that this might be premeditated.

This fires will definitely change the outcome of the 2018 elections. Maybe the two Russian puppets Darrel Issa and Dana Rohrabacher might be able to keep their seats after all.

by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2017 9:12 AM

Rachel Maddow called Rohrabacher "the senator from Moscow" the other day. Just slipped it into a comment about other things. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 83December 8, 2017 9:15 AM

r83 He's not a senator, so ???

by Anonymousreply 84December 8, 2017 5:06 PM

[quote] Los Angeles National Forest.

It's just "Angeles National Forest." No "Los."

by Anonymousreply 85December 8, 2017 5:06 PM

In the recent fires up north, the owner was able to save 1000 exotic animals in his wildlife sanctuary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 8, 2017 5:08 PM

[quote]During ww2, the Japanese hatched a plan to start wildfires in the NW.

So, r80, you're saying the Japanese are just slow and with poor direction?

by Anonymousreply 87December 8, 2017 5:13 PM

Thanks so much, R76.

I have elderly friends in Ventura on East Thompson Road I’m worried about. They have a shop full of antiques and have lived there all their lives.

by Anonymousreply 88December 8, 2017 5:16 PM

R87, it involved a low tech plan of using the jet stream to drift balloons over the west coast that started fires:

In the 1940s, the Japanese were mapping out air currents by launching balloons attached with measuring instruments from the western side of Japan and picking them up on the eastern side. The researchers noticed that a strong air current traveled across the Pacific at about 30,000 feet. Using that knowledge, in 1944 the Japanese military made what many experts consider the first intercontinental weapon system: explosive devices attached to paper balloons that were buoyed across the ocean by a jet stream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 8, 2017 5:35 PM

by Anonymousreply 90December 8, 2017 5:49 PM

In January of this year, there was some kind of newsletter that came out, from ISIS or ISIS-affiliated org., that put forward the idea of starting wildfires to invoke terror. There was a section in the document, titled Just Terror, that gave highly detailed ways to use fire as a weapon - the inspiration of their idea came from fires in Israel. The details were straight-out disgusting - how to plan the fires to trap exits, where to set them for maximum damage, how, ways to make sure the arsonists don't end up setting themselves on fire in the process, ect.

NOT saying they did it, but the thought has crossed my mind. After reading about the newsletter, of course it did.

by Anonymousreply 91December 8, 2017 5:53 PM

Here’s an article about the Israeli fires which were treated as a terrorist attack. The article is from November 2016, but it sounds like there were a lot of fires before that.

I read elsewhere that ISIS was suggesting fires as a form of terrorism as early as 2012. People in California are used to fires and take something like this for granted. But it’s pretty obvious at least some of the later fires are probably copycat arson.

It’s not out of the question that somebody that’s organized like the Russians or ISIS could be doing it on purpose. The whole point is terrorism without anyone to retaliate against, since you can’t prove anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 8, 2017 6:06 PM

It’s so sad, R77. Stories and video coming out where people are trying to rescue horses have me in tears. The gentle barn (Santa Clarita area I believe) seems ok. Thanks for checking in, R78.

by Anonymousreply 93December 8, 2017 6:09 PM

r46 i love it the homeless get the last laugh on these overly lavish homes.

by Anonymousreply 94December 8, 2017 7:45 PM

"She comes down from Yellow Mountain..."

by Anonymousreply 95December 8, 2017 7:51 PM

...thoughts and prayers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 8, 2017 7:56 PM

R68 The air quality here is awful. I have a relative who works outdoors for the high schools. The grounds employees tried to go back to work today, had to wear masks, and couldn't make it past two hours. If anything, it's worse than yesterday. Hope your friends are ok. (If they own the shop next to the Hong Kong Inn- that place is amazing!)

by Anonymousreply 97December 8, 2017 9:38 PM

R78, They own a shop in a residential section with another antique store across the street. Both shops are in converted houses.

There is some sort of motel looking thing down the street, and their house/store is amazing. All the walls were painted mustard yellow with Spanish motif floral murals around all the doors by their daughter. They have beautiful furniture and paintings, it’s something really special. Not a junk store, everything is specifically in the Old California style. It would be a shame if they lost that place, it’s their life’s work.

They opened their store in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 98December 8, 2017 9:47 PM

Oh, ok. I know the place just from your description. I've heard they're very helpful and are wonderful at zooming in on just what you want. Thanks for responding!

by Anonymousreply 99December 9, 2017 12:50 AM

Is it real now?

Paris Hilton, Lionel Richie, other celebs flee homes as So. Calif. wildfires close in

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 9, 2017 1:54 AM

Debby Boone will sing us all to sleep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 9, 2017 2:00 AM

What the motherfucking hell is going on in Ojai right now? The fire map shows it surrounded on three sides by active fires, with all the major roads in fire zones! Is it even possible to evacuate, if the wind kicks up?

I was there in early November, and yeah, the entire area was tinder-dry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 9, 2017 2:13 AM

arson should not be dismissed. it's odd.

by Anonymousreply 103December 9, 2017 5:48 AM

My friend in Ojai couldn't take it there anymore, packed a suitcase and took the train down here to Laguna. She took a video of all the rooms and doesn't give a shit at this point.

by Anonymousreply 104December 9, 2017 5:53 AM

Like many of you here on DL, I’ve (reluctantly) suspected that several of these fires have been deliberately set.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist and it was another friend out here in SoCal who pointed out to me how so many fires happening in so many unconnected areas in December here was bizarre—and also how the Santa Ana winds are an arsonists dream (good cover for them and helps their “work” spread quickly).

With all the different, unconnected fire locations continuing to pop up and so much damage and destruction happening (I cried seeing the footage of the burning horses running for their lives), this all makes me furious and I’m inclined to think people *are* setting these fires.

I hope the L.A. Sheriff’s Department and the LAPD are developing better arson investigation units so this won’t happen anymore or at least can be stopped quicker in the future.

One confirmed arsonist was caught last night in Anaheim Hills by 2 good Samaritans who saw him sneaking around in the brush in the dark...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 9, 2017 11:00 AM

Why are we focusing on stopping rogue actors of the fires? Why not just stop the Santa Ana winds?

by Anonymousreply 106December 9, 2017 11:19 AM

Most insurance companies will not insure properties deemed to be in fire areas which is most of the state outside major cities.

So the state of Calif has provided the possibility of fire insurance through the state for those who cannot obtain it through their insurance companies. OK good, but its very expensive Outrageously expensive.

by Anonymousreply 107December 9, 2017 4:17 PM

@ABC7

Firefighters battling brush fire in Monrovia area

by Anonymousreply 108December 10, 2017 3:26 AM

@gclaude746

#Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica burning

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 10, 2017 3:27 AM

@KTLA

Lilac Fire: At Least 46 Horses Dead, Others Missing From San Diego County Training Facility

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 10, 2017 3:41 AM

@KTLA

2 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Evacuations have been ordered as a brush fire burns in Monrovia

by Anonymousreply 111December 10, 2017 3:47 AM

@11AliveNews

Unexplained plane lights seen over South Carolina county

@RyanHaarer

Strange lights over Denver tonight, too

by Anonymousreply 112December 10, 2017 3:48 AM

Californians, how are things where you are? How are you?

by Anonymousreply 113December 10, 2017 3:56 AM

stay safe DLers in CA!!! I'm praying for ya!

by Anonymousreply 114December 10, 2017 4:04 AM

@abc7melissa

The #thomasfire has now burned 155,000 acres. Fire fighters will do a controlled burn tonight near Lake Casitas to burn brush between the fire and highway 150.

by Anonymousreply 115December 10, 2017 4:08 AM

Monrovia now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 10, 2017 4:19 AM

r1 and r3 = fucktard douche cunts.

by Anonymousreply 117December 10, 2017 5:13 AM

How do these individual hotels and homes (like the one in Santa Monica and the few luxe houses in Bel Air) keep getting started on fire??

I still think there’s arson involved here...

by Anonymousreply 118December 10, 2017 10:22 AM

Wildfires do send out sparks, R118, which can set fires at some distance from the main blaze.

But if anyone in the area thinks that a fire insurance payout might be worth the trouble, there might be other explanations....

by Anonymousreply 119December 10, 2017 3:39 PM

They are investigating Monrovia as arson.

by Anonymousreply 120December 10, 2017 3:51 PM

I believe they're being set.

by Anonymousreply 121December 10, 2017 4:02 PM

The Ventura fire just topped 200,000 acres

by Anonymousreply 122December 11, 2017 1:00 AM

who is starting the fires?

by Anonymousreply 123December 11, 2017 1:07 AM

Read In Suspect Terrain by John McPhee. People have no business living there. They should pay for the firefighting

by Anonymousreply 124December 11, 2017 1:08 AM

Ellen's beautiful Santa Barbara home, recently put on the market for $4o mill,' is about to be kindling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 11, 2017 1:13 AM

Houses, or rather estates, currently for sale in Montecito.

Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 11, 2017 3:06 AM

Now, looters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 12, 2017 1:02 AM

One week later, still out of control. 20% of Ventura Co. has been charred.

by Anonymousreply 128December 12, 2017 3:07 PM

Oprah evacuated as well.

by Anonymousreply 129December 12, 2017 3:30 PM

[quote]Oprah evacuated as well.

Ex-Lax or probiotics?

by Anonymousreply 130December 12, 2017 4:13 PM

Forklift.

by Anonymousreply 131December 12, 2017 4:19 PM

How the fire has grown over the past seven days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 12, 2017 6:23 PM

God hates remakes.

by Anonymousreply 133December 12, 2017 7:05 PM

Since the first padres opened the first missions in California, and since the first wagons of settlers came over the Sierras, two things have remained a constant (1) it is a highly-active earthquake zone and (2) Southern California has experienced landslides and wildfires. It they want to build these bigger and bigger mansions higher and higher into the mountainous arid near-desert forests, then go right ahead. Just don't complain when you $40 mil. burns to the ground or crumbles into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 134December 12, 2017 7:18 PM

agree, r134

by Anonymousreply 135December 12, 2017 7:21 PM

I wonder whether the hurricanes keep wildfires from being more prevalent on the east coast.

by Anonymousreply 136December 12, 2017 7:26 PM

it rains in the summer on the east coast, that's why wildfires aren't such a problem there.

Really, people who live east of the Rockies don't understand how incredibly fucking dry California is by fall, in a normal year most of the state hasn't seen a drop of rain in six months by October. Southern California is naturally prone to wildfires, as the driest and most flammable part of the year coincides with the hard dry Santa Ana winds that blow into the desert; they not only turn a single spark from a cigarette into a raging firestorm, they blow the smoke and fire from wilderness to inhabited areas. Fires are so naturally common there that many of the plant species have evolved to propogate after the fires, they expect them to happen frequently.

Southern California could do a better job of managing fire risk, but I don't know how much can be done. I have no idea if they do controlled burns like they do in the Sierras, but the fact is that no amount of human management can control a force of nature. There ARE going to be fires there, no matter what the humans do, all we can do is work on protecting the inhabited areas.

by Anonymousreply 137December 12, 2017 8:17 PM

r137 you contradicted yourself.

If the climate is so volatile that a cigarette can cause an inferno, then human management can have a large impact. Earthquakes, which are tectonic phenomena of the earth's crust, can't be prevented by man. All you can do is cut through the usual bureaucratic corruption around building/zoning codes and hope for the best. Some wildfires are natural, but you can prevent many by draconian measures, including kicking homeless out of high fire areas, especially in peak season.

by Anonymousreply 138December 12, 2017 9:55 PM

When I lived in central California, it was dry most of the year except for 2-3 months starting in February, when it rained and everything briefly turned green.

by Anonymousreply 139December 12, 2017 10:17 PM

A group of hobos living under the Sepulveda pass started the Skirball- Bel Air fire.

A night around the fire roasting marshmellows went horribly awry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140December 12, 2017 10:21 PM

Hobos have money for marshmallows? Or did they kill some other hobos and boil their bones for the gelatin, which was then used to make marshmallows, which then accidentally started the Bel Air fire?

by Anonymousreply 141December 12, 2017 10:22 PM

I was kidding about the marshmallows, R141.

They were trying to cook up the "campfire hobo dinner" as featured below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 12, 2017 10:36 PM

@latimes

Breaking: A cooking fire at a homeless encampment sparked Bel-Air's Skirball fire, officials say

by Anonymousreply 143December 12, 2017 10:44 PM

Hello R143 - please see above!

by Anonymousreply 144December 12, 2017 10:47 PM

Fossil records show that wildfires have been a problem in the Western U.S. for millennia, before people (including so-called Native Americans) even showed up. Entire species of plant life rely on the fires to spur reproduction. "Hobo campfires" may be blamed for recent fires, but the rampant development of multi-million dollar palaces in these highly susceptible mountainous arid forested regions is just stupid and short-sighted.

by Anonymousreply 145December 13, 2017 3:45 PM

What is keeping them from just clearing the brush away when it is a threat to human life?

by Anonymousreply 146December 13, 2017 3:49 PM

R146, all the mountains that surround the Santa Barbara, LA, and San Diego urban areas are naturally covered in "brush". You can't clear all the plant life out of an entire region!

Now all sensible property owners clear the brush away from their houses and in civilized areas the brush is gone and irrigated gardens have taken its place, but that's not enough to stop the wildfires. When the wind is strong and the flames are high, sparks can fly great distances and ignite almost anything, your roof, your garden, the brush on the next hill over, anything will burn because it's all so fucking dry by fall. I suppose there might be a program of clearing brush away from the perimeters of inhabited areas, but that would cost a lot of money, there are ecological concerns, and if you strop the vegetation off a mountainside it becomes more prone to landslides. Mother Nature intends that area to have wildfires, and stopping her getting what she wants is never that easy.

by Anonymousreply 147December 13, 2017 4:23 PM

R16/R31 called it on the cause of the Skirball (Bel Air) fire.

by Anonymousreply 148December 14, 2017 6:36 AM

Someone's cookin!

by Anonymousreply 149December 14, 2017 9:45 AM

Still burning, still growing.

As for Skirball, they are busting the homeless living in the brush.

by Anonymousreply 150December 16, 2017 3:23 PM

And after all these years, there is nothing they can spray ahead of time to help retard fire? From helicopters like we did with the Med Fly? This has been going on forever.

by Anonymousreply 151December 16, 2017 3:26 PM

Agent Orange was once a popular choice

by Anonymousreply 152December 16, 2017 6:44 PM

r152 And now he's president.

by Anonymousreply 153December 16, 2017 7:02 PM

W&W R153. I'm calling him Agent Orange henceforth. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 154December 17, 2017 1:48 AM

@ABC7

#LIVE Fellow firefighters salute Fire Apparatus Engineer Cory Iverson as his funeral procession drives past

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 17, 2017 5:33 PM

It was really windy last night in Northern California.

Was it the same down there in Southern California, and if so did it cause any new disasters?

by Anonymousreply 156December 17, 2017 5:35 PM

The winds finally hit the LA Basin early this AM.

Many trees down.

by Anonymousreply 157December 17, 2017 5:39 PM

Hate to get all Biblical on you but didn't the big guy promise not to flood the earth or destroy it with water? If so fire would be his other method, after all didn't he appear as a burning bush to someone?

by Anonymousreply 158December 17, 2017 6:30 PM

The Fire Next Time

by Anonymousreply 159December 17, 2017 6:37 PM

@ABC7

#ThomasFire grows to 420 square miles; full containment not expected until Jan. 7

by Anonymousreply 160December 17, 2017 6:46 PM

@latimes

The massive Thomas Fire continues to grow as strong, shifting winds bring new dangers

by Anonymousreply 161December 17, 2017 10:33 PM

This is beyond a massive tragedy. It seems like we have had so many natural disasters this past year. I’m surprised that there isn’t more coverage of this on the national news. Praying for California.

by Anonymousreply 162December 17, 2017 10:37 PM

But her emails!

by Anonymousreply 163December 19, 2017 5:03 AM

It has already started here in Norway. Fires are out of control. It hasn't rained in like a month. It's April, but it's record breaking hot, like more than 70 F every day. It might not seem like a lot to Americans, but we're talking Norway. In April. Trust me when I say this isn't normal. We barely have winters anymore. Last summer the record temp was 93 F. We had WEEKS of temps in the 90s range. It was hell on earth. This year might be even worse considering it's 70 already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 23, 2019 2:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!