Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies or shows where MOST of the actors seem miscast

Walk on the Wild Side - Capucine, Laurence Harvey, and Anne Baxter were so wrong for their roles. La Stanwyck was the only one who nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2020 11:26 PM

They were all Charlie Feldman's clients. He was one of the producers on Walk on the Wild Side.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2017 4:45 AM

"Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets".

Which was a pity, it really had the potential to be a way cool movie.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2017 7:22 AM

I loved the set, with the rooms open to the courtyard.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2017 8:54 AM

HAMILTON

Now THAT was weird casting

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2017 8:58 AM

r2 is right.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2017 3:23 PM

DRAGON SEED with all these caucasian actors playing Chinese characters.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2017 5:11 PM

Breakfast At Tiffany's - Hepburn, Peppard, and "Mr. Yunioshi"

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2017 5:54 PM

Tom Hanks in [italic]Bonfire of the Vanities[/italic] - that was Not an everyman role.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2017 6:08 PM

That godawful Robert Altman Buffalo Bill with Geraldine Chaplin as Annie Oakley!

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2017 7:07 PM

None of the leads in BONFIRE was well-cast, especially Bruce Willis who plays a character that was British in the original book (and I think based in part on Christopher Hitchens).

William Hurt should have played Hanks role.

That whole movie was a shit-show.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2017 7:11 PM

House of the Spirits - bunch of white people playing Latinos

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2017 7:17 PM

^ No one has more Latin flair than Meryl Streep and Winona Ryder!

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2017 7:20 PM

bumping

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2017 3:10 AM

August: Osage County (not counting Margo Martindale and Chris Cooper)

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2017 3:14 AM

r14, that was admittedly a good choice. Benedict Cumberbatch as white trash?!

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2017 3:19 AM

One Day at a Time, the 70s version

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2017 3:20 AM

"Starship Troopers" - Denise Richards, Patrick Muldoon, Casper Van Dien and others as scientists (?)

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2017 3:25 AM

I so wish they had done August with Streep and Laura Linney and Friedkin. Oh well, maybe it will be remade in the future.

That Millie girl is super annoying.

Also miscast: Moment by Moment with John Travolta and Lilly Tomlin

Sommersby - Foster and Gere

Emma Stone as Asian

Bradley Cooper as straight

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2017 3:33 AM

Rent, the film version.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2017 3:34 AM

Sommersby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2017 6:17 AM

No one could have made MOMENT BY MOMENT anything other than a laugh-fest.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2017 3:42 PM

Any version of The Great Gatsby

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2017 3:32 AM

I agree with many of these.

I did love Stanwyck in WOTWS, and thought Jane Fonda was sexy and fun to watch. She's often so stiff in many of her early films.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2017 3:50 AM

I love Stanwyck saying to Jane 'You talk too much.'

Stanwyck had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2017 3:52 AM

Carnage with Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, John C Reilly, and Cristoph Waltz directed by child rapist (but that's another thread) Roman Polanski. The whole thing seemed off with the casting. And Jodie, bless her, was cringe worthy towards the end. Kate Winslet seemed out of her depth playing drunk. The men came off better but neither actor felt like a match for the actress to whom they were paired.

The vomiting bit took me by surprise (and put me off my cheesecake). How did they do that onstage?

Weird movie. Weird cast.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2017 7:59 AM

Why Foster is thought to be such a great actress leaves me cold. I find her wooden and inexpressive. She didn't deserve either of her Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2017 9:27 AM

Carrie (2013)

Out of the three movie adaptations of the book, this is my least favorite because nobody really feels right for the roles they were chosen to play. I think that is the biggest problem with it. If it was better cast, one has to wonder how much that would help the rest of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2020 1:29 PM

Male actors older than18.

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2020 1:34 PM

Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. I didn't care for Spacey as Lex Luthor either.

Marky Mark (and co ) in Planet Of The Apes

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2020 1:39 PM

Caitriona Barfe on Outlander. That screeching is just awful.

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2020 1:42 PM

Chloe Moretz as "Carrie" was beyond idiotic. Stupid lesbian director.

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2020 1:45 PM

R31 what does the director being a lesbian have to do with it??

by Anonymousreply 32April 15, 2020 3:04 PM

"Grease", of course. Those were the oldest looking high school kids in history, especially Stockard Channing. Channing's character was the only one I liked in that dreadful movie. She has great lines and a lot of balls.

by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2020 3:43 PM

I was going to mention that Carrie remake. Just awful. I'm sure it would have been a bit more tolerable with a better cast, but the script seemed to just follow De Palma's movie beat by beat with none of the style or excitement. It would have provably been doomed either way.

Moretz didn't have the depth for Carrie and Julianne Moore provokes about as much fear and intimidation as a soggy French fry. It was almost like they deliberately toned down the child abuse aspect for fear of...offending child abusers? I don't get it. Everything felt too safe and clean with Carrie coming across more like a baby Jean Grey than a woman possessed by powers she can't even understand or control. When she levitated out of the gym, the entire theater hooted and hollered. Not sure that's what they were going for.

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2020 5:43 PM

COLD MOUNTAIN. Kidman and Law were much too old for their characters (who are late teens/early 20s), and RZ was just absurd as Ruby. But all 3 were part of Harvey Weinstein's gaggle of "pet actors" so they got cast.

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2020 7:21 PM

The remake of "A Nightmare on Elm Street," but to be fair I don't think the best cast on Earth could bring that dull script to life.

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2020 7:24 PM

Halloween (2018)

Other than Jamie Lee Curtis and maybe the kid who played Julian, I didn't really like anybody else they chose.

by Anonymousreply 37April 17, 2020 12:57 PM

Sliver with Sharon Stone as a sexually repressed book editor. Dear Lord.

by Anonymousreply 38April 17, 2020 1:11 PM

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 17, 2020 1:18 PM

R37 i liked the friend/babysitter and wish she'd played the granddaughter instead.

by Anonymousreply 40April 17, 2020 1:38 PM

"Desire Under the Elms" takes the cake. Burl Ives as a New England farmer married to Sophia Loren, who has a passionate affair with Burl's son, Anthony Perkins. Did I mention it's based on a play by Eugene O'Neill?

Absolutely nothing about this delirious fever dream of a movie makes one speck of sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 17, 2020 1:44 PM

R37, I don't think people were miscast as much as they had nothing to do. The script was awful. Not an interesting character in the bunch. Not even Laurie. Easily the least interesting version of that character I've seen no matter how hard Curtis tried.

I did like the babysitter and the kid though and kept thinking how it would have been a much better movie if they'd made her the granddaughter and/or lead of the film. She had a lot more personality. The granddaughter has to be one of the most boring characters I've ever seen in a horror movie. I hope they give her something to do in the next two movies.

by Anonymousreply 42April 17, 2020 7:08 PM

"Desire Under the Elms" takes the cake. Burl Ives as a New England farmer married to Sophia Loren, who has a passionate affair with Burl's son, Anthony Perkins. Did I mention it's based on a play by Eugene O'Neill?"

Yeah, that's a bad one. Though a more ludicrous piece of casting happened a few years later in a modern-day film version of PHAEDRA where Melina Mercouri is married to hunk Raf Vallone, but becomes infatuated with skinny Anthony Perkins. I'm surprised Mercouri could keep a straight face during the shoot.

On another note, I saw a revival of ELMS with Brian Dennehy, Carla Gugino, and hunky Pablo Schreiber. At least that casting made sense, though the play is not good.

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2020 8:36 PM

Mouseboy in Dune, Little Women, and The King

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2020 3:36 PM

Tina Fey in Sisters as the white trash hairdresser sister.

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2020 3:59 PM

The remake of Psycho. Anne Heche as Marion and Vince Vaughn as Norman? I found the rest of the cast a bit better cast in their roles, but since we spend the entirety of the first 45/50 minutes with these two, it's hard for a movie to recover from that.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2020 9:25 PM

R46 I liked Vaughn's take on Norman. But, I didn't like Heche as Marion. I recall the early scenes of Heche and Viggo Mortensen were awkward as they didn't have chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2020 5:11 AM

It was so bad r36 I couldn't even give my regretfully purchased dvd copy away.

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2020 5:23 AM

AHS Hotel: Gaga, Wes Bentley, Chloe Sevenee, Naomi Campbell, Cheyenne Jackson, Matt Bomer, Dandy as a fashion model.

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2020 5:45 AM

The 1980 remake of The Jazz Singer. Oy vey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2020 5:59 AM

The Hours.

Nicole Kidman was too young to play Virginia Woolf, and looked nothing like her; the fake nose she donned was obviously made of artificial material. Meryl Streep, who actually DOES look like Virginia Woolf, should have played Woolf, but instead seemed hamstring by Clarissa Vaughn (especially since a big deal is made in the novel of Clarissa Vaughn seeing Meryl Streep on the street!) Miranda Richardson played Vanessa bell, who was a Bohemian earth mother, as a rich ditz.

Only Julianne Moore was well cast as Laura Brown.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2020 6:19 AM

Hello, Dolly! All four leads, Streisand, Matthau, Michael Crawford and the woman playing The Widow Molloy were dreadful in their parts. Tommy Tune as Ambrose and the girl playing Minnie Fay were fine and Danny Lockin was great as Barnaby.

Lucille Ball as Mame is of course awful although the rest of the cast is spot on. But the director and costume designer should have been shot for what they did to Bea Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2020 7:29 AM

Hello, Dolly is a good choice

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2020 5:09 PM

Hello, Dolly is such a weird movie, because Streisand only comes to life during the final few scenes and is very winning. I have to imagine they shot it in sequence and she got better and more comfortable as she went along.

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2020 5:59 PM

Lucy would have been a fantastic Rose in Gypsy. She could still sing at the time and she had those showgirl legs.

With Ann Margret as Louise.

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2020 6:03 PM

Lucy as Rose would have been really been something. I bet she'd have acted the shit out of it. Her voice would still have been as limited as it was in Mame, but Rosalind Russell was as limited a singer.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2020 6:14 PM

Lucy should have played Mrs. Lovett had they only filmed SWEENEY TODD sooner.

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2020 8:15 PM

And Robert Preston as Sweeney. Mame dream team.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2020 11:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!