Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Judi Dench vs. Maggie Smith

Which one of these Dames is more talented?

by Anonymousreply 89Last Saturday at 4:32 PM

I'm a big fan of Judi's, although I certainly enjoy Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2017

They've both reached the age where just play their public personae.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2017

Judi. She did musicals, comedy, drama, Shakespeare, the legitimate theater, tv and movies.

Although Maggie ain't half bad.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2017

Tracey Ullman

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2017

Glenda Jackson is more talented than the pair of them combined.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2017

I think the current celebration of Dench is kinda late because she was shunned by the movie industry for 30 years.

Maggie Smith has done some great roles but critics complain that too much of her schtick was lifted from this ghastly self-hating queen—

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2017

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2017

Maggie by a hair, but I love them both.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2017

R5

Critics can say Maggie was out of her depth in non-comic roles but Glenda Jackson was incapable of ANY comic roles.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2017

Maggie has a wonky eye.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2017

r9, that's crap! Glenda has an amazing sense of humour.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2017

R10 Miss Smith DBE has Graves Disease, some cancer, a broken heart and myopia. Miss Dench DBE has Macular Degeneration, Stage 2 Dementia and Virtue Signaller's Disease,

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2017

I don't think you can say one is better than the other. They're both great Dames.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2017

r12, and Glenda Jackson has come back to acting. Perfect time for it, now her rivals are dropping off LOL And Glenda turned down a Damehood because she's anti-monarchy.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2017

R12 Unfortunately she's ANTI-everything... which is not a good sign for anyone who wants to be employed.

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2017

Patricia Routledge

Imagine what her Mrs. Lovett would have been like if she had accepted the role.

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2017

Glenda, Judi and Maggie last year

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2017

Mon dieu, Catherine du Valois-

Judi Dench birthed the Tudor Dynasty

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2017

R17 I wonder if they hate each other 'behind the mask'?

Maggie Smith was quite bitchy about "Lord Kingsley or whatever he calls himself nowadays"

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2017

Judi didn't even have a film career before Glenda retired from acting... watch this clip and laugh your ass off:

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2017

Maggie and JUDI are great friends. I was surprised JUDI did not appear in either Harry potter or downton abbey. Both great but Maggie has the edge...see the prime of miss Jean Brodie. All wanna be actors should watch Maggie and Scalia's scenes. Possibly the best acting ever on film.

Meryl not so much, overrated...had a fawm in Africa

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2017

Yes, Maggie and Celia!

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2017

Definitely Maggie Smith. Smith doesn't have to play the same character twice to try and get it right.

Plus Judi Dench has hideous feet. I saw her in sandals once and I had to cancel lunch.

by Anonymousreply 2312/01/2017

Equal divinities in the firmament.

by Anonymousreply 2412/01/2017

....and for the poster upthread, Glenda Jackson won her second Oscar for a comedic role, you dolt.

by Anonymousreply 2512/01/2017

Much as I her enjoy her R23 Maggie does plays the same character more than twice. Tea with Mussolini, Gosford Park, Downton Abbey are very slight variations on the same brittle, snobbish old bag she has specialized in for the past couple of decades, even the Lady in the Van was Lady Violet on welfare. Judi is definitely more versatile, it's easy to imagine her playing any of Maggie's roles but not vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 2612/01/2017

Here's Smith giving an Oscar and Tony caliber performance in one of my faves of hers Bed Among the Lentils. 49 minutes of Just MAGGIE BEING BRILLIANT straight into the camera. (I love the Talking Heads series, especially Hand of God with Eileen Atkins). And everyone should see The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearn where Smith gives the performance of her career, which is saying a lot, but unfortunately it's hard to find.

I just saw Dench in Murder on Orient Express, and was disappointed by her performance. Wendy Hiller was delicious in the same role in 1974.

by Anonymousreply 2712/01/2017

Maggie! Mother Superior FTW!

by Anonymousreply 2812/01/2017

Vanessa Redgrave and Glenda Jackson wipe the floor with both of them.

by Anonymousreply 2912/01/2017

See "Victoria and Abdul" and it may sway your vote. Especially the early scenes showing Dame Judi as Victoria eating. She's outstanding. She's definitely getting a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 3012/01/2017

[quote]one of my faves of hers Bed Among the Lentils. 49 minutes of Just MAGGIE BEING BRILLIANT straight into the camera. (I love the Talking Heads series, especially Hand of God with Eileen Atkins).

Ah, a kindred spirit! I've watched "Bed Among the Lentils" at least 50 or 60 times, and still find it mesmerizing. And, like you, I'm also fond of "Hand of God." Also, the three monologues with Patricia Routledge are lifelong favorites. (There's a lot more to her than "the Bucket woman.")

But, back on topic, my vote is for Maggie Smith - largely because of her brilliance in "Bed Among the Lentils."

by Anonymousreply 3112/01/2017

You're complaining R26 about Maggie playing the same character.

You're probably right but that's because writers and authors love her playing Lady Bracknell.

by Anonymousreply 3212/02/2017

To play Lady Bracknell once R32 could be described as employment to play her several times looks like laziness... I saw her actual Lady Bracknell in London and surprisingly she wasn't very memorable ( Maggie that is not Edith...I'm not quite that old ).

by Anonymousreply 3312/02/2017

[quote]Judi didn't even have a film career before Glenda retired from acting

Check out this wonderful gem from 1965.

by Anonymousreply 3412/02/2017

Judi was quite beautiful when she was younger.

from He Who Rides A Tiger

by Anonymousreply 3512/02/2017
by Anonymousreply 3612/02/2017

^ She is wearing her Clapham version of 'Cleopatra' mascara in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 3712/02/2017

for some reason she wore these dreadful haircuts.

by Anonymousreply 3812/02/2017

Judi. NO!

by Anonymousreply 3912/02/2017

She has to wear very short hair because of her UN-photogenic little face.

The mid-60s was the peak years of Swinging London of Op-Art, Courrèges and Mary Quant.

Have you seen the outrageously camp 'Modesty Blaise'?

by Anonymousreply 4012/02/2017

^ André Courrèges wanted to reduce the human body down to pieces of geometry. And poor Judi Dench couldn't compete because her waist size was 24 inches and her legs were 24 inches.

by Anonymousreply 4112/03/2017

Smith has always been very mannered the quality of her performances varies based on how much she leans on what she finds easy. When it comes to playing a certain kind of witty, caustic upper class snob, she's pretty peerless, but I've always preferred her in roles that require her to strip away some of the stylistic artifice that she does so well (BED AMONG THE LENTILS, LONELY PASSION OF JUDITH HEARNE, LOVE AND PAIN AND THE WHOLE DAMN THING).

Dench is a no-nonsense actress who I think has more range than Smith.

Jackson is another who can be very mannered (her performances in HEDDA and THE MAGNIFICENT SARAH are barely a step away from a drag queen), but when she's on all cylinders or plays quieter roles, she is superb. She is a truly unsentimental actress, which is a great quality. I think she and Judy Davis are similar in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 4212/03/2017

R42 How do you gauge if a movie actress is "unsentimental"?

Movie actors and actresses are 'shadows'. We are watching a human being impersonating another human being, reading someone else's lines. Their image is cut and positioned by others.

I don't feel qualified to judge any actor or actress unless I have seen them "naked" on stage or in real life over a number of years.

I've only seen Dench on stage once.

by Anonymousreply 4312/03/2017

I absolutely love her in Stevie r42.

by Anonymousreply 4412/03/2017

I did a musical r3....ON BROADWAY!

by Anonymousreply 4512/03/2017

Dear "Dame Maggs" R45 I don't think that was a musical. More of a cabaret revue.

by Anonymousreply 4612/03/2017

"How do you gauge if a movie actress is "unsentimental"?"

Generally by how they approach a role where the actress could easily pull at the heartstrings. Jackson did a film called RETURN OF THE SOLDIER where he played a truly good person (which is really hard to do and make interesting), and she did it by stripping the character of any sentimentality and, as a result, was all the more moving for having done so.

by Anonymousreply 4712/03/2017

Dear R47 I cannot agree. A movie actress does what the director tells them to do.

Movie actresses are puppets in the hand of their movie director. A Trilby in the hands of a Svengali.

Glenda Jackson often played hard and unsentimental characters on screen but I hear she definitely wept and got shriekingly sentimental when in the British parliament.

by Anonymousreply 4812/03/2017

Who would Bette vote for?

by Anonymousreply 4912/03/2017

Did Maggie have a daughter that burnt her Hampstead house down? That would be a no!

by Anonymousreply 5012/03/2017

r49: The only thing Bette Davis and Joan Crawford had in common was their admiration for Glenda Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 5112/03/2017

R49 Bette Davis didn't act, she misbehaved!

She was hopeless without me to keep her misbehaviour in check.

by Anonymousreply 5212/03/2017

Glenda Jackson and her posse. Bow down bitches!

by Anonymousreply 5312/03/2017

[quote]Glenda Jackson and her posse. Bow down bitches!

With all of Glenda's money, you'd think she'd buy a better outfit than a plaid picnic blanket.

by Anonymousreply 5412/03/2017

R53 That trio, surely, are playing 'The Three Witches of Macbeth'!

by Anonymousreply 5512/03/2017

R54 I don't know how much money Glenda has. I know she has a sad inner life.

She was an employee of the British Labour Party for 20 years but her son (Dan Hodges) used to work for the party too but he's become progressively angry at the party's duplicity and ineptitude and has turned against them.

by Anonymousreply 5612/03/2017

r56, apparently Glenda lives in her son's basement.

by Anonymousreply 5712/03/2017

NOTES ON A SCANDAL 2

by Anonymousreply 5812/03/2017

^ OMG

Is Glenda as short as Pygmy-Dench?

by Anonymousreply 5912/03/2017

Toss up. I adore Maggie Smith. She has an uncanny ability to steal every scene. Her snobs always have a touch of humanity to them. However, I can't see her doing what Judi pulled off in Notes on a Scandal.

by Anonymousreply 6012/03/2017

You can't have a gay card till you have watched The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Superlative acting. Plus a butch dyke gym teacher!

by Anonymousreply 61Last Wednesday at 3:19 PM

Thanks to those above who brought up Bed Among the Lentils. Smith's performance is absolutely hypnotic, wrenching and yet she lands every laugh (even some that aren't in Bennett's text). I SO wish Talking Heads, surely Bennett's masterpiece, was available in the US on DVD; it is in the UK. Why can't we have nice things, too?

by Anonymousreply 62Last Wednesday at 3:42 PM

[quote]You can't have a gay card till you have watched The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Superlative acting. Plus a butch dyke gym teacher!

Oh, darling, I did the lez thing so much better in The Shipping News. You better get your copy before they are all removed from the shelves as Mr. Kevin Spacey has a starring role in it.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Wednesday at 4:09 PM

Cate presents Glenda:

by Anonymousreply 64Last Wednesday at 4:10 PM

[quote] I SO wish Talking Heads, surely Bennett's masterpiece, was available in the US on DVD; it is in the UK. Why can't we have nice things, too?

If there are other Region 2 PAL DVDs you're interested in (or, perhaps, even if that's the only one), it might be worth looking into a multi-region player. There were a few things I wanted, including "Talking Heads," that made the purchase worthwhile. I bought the Samsung E360. It's a very basic, no-frills unit, but adequate for the few "foreign" discs I've bought.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Wednesday at 4:26 PM

That fabulous scene in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie which pits Maggie Smith against Pamela Franklin was beyond brilliant. I think Franklin bested Maggie in that scene BUT Maggie did a great job overall. She did a wonderful job of playing a woefully misguided idealist whose morals or lack of them ended up in a school girl's death.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Wednesday at 4:44 PM

Judi Dench has more range.

by Anonymousreply 67Last Wednesday at 4:45 PM

Glenda in Elizabeth R is one of the greatest achievements in acting. Period.

by Anonymousreply 68Last Wednesday at 4:49 PM

Judi and Maggie will be joined by Eileen and Joan for a Dame smackdown in a BBC documentary..... Glenda is too busy winning awards for proper acting.

by Anonymousreply 69Last Wednesday at 4:59 PM

Pamela retired from acting at a young age, a shame as she is brilliant. Celia Johnston's Miss McKay channels the wicked witch of the west, and also is beyond brilliant. The scene with Miss Brodie, Miss McKay, and Mr. Lowther may be the best acting ever filmed. This is a film that you pick up something yoh missed on repeated viewings. Remember the toady Miss Gaunt? The swashbuckling art teacher? The Lesbianish dance between Sandy and Monica at Sandy's? And the incomparable Mary McGregor?

by Anonymousreply 70Last Wednesday at 5:20 PM

Assassin! ASSASSIN!!!

by Anonymousreply 71Last Wednesday at 5:30 PM

Like comparing apples and oranges...

by Anonymousreply 72Last Wednesday at 5:36 PM

R72, more like lemons and limes.

by Anonymousreply 73Last Wednesday at 5:38 PM

Yes, R 73 and Maggie is the more tart of the two.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Wednesday at 5:41 PM

I was on the receiving end of Dame Maggie's withering glance circa 1973.

by Anonymousreply 75Last Wednesday at 5:48 PM

Details please, R75.

by Anonymousreply 76Last Thursday at 1:33 PM

R70 Pamela became typecast( to a certain degree) in horror films doing things like The Legend Of Hell House. She also did guest TV appearances as well. She did the best that she could but never reached the lofty acting heights she deserved at one point.

by Anonymousreply 77Last Thursday at 4:58 PM

I think Pamela and her family own a bookshop in West Hollywood.

I can remember my 12 year old jaw dropped when Pamela Franklin appeared casually nude in Jean Brodie. She said it was the last thing they filmed, so that she would be 18 when they filmed it (she was 17 when they started filming).

by Anonymousreply 78Last Thursday at 7:55 PM

Wasn't that such a hot scene with Pam being nude? She looked very attractive even afterwards when she only wore a sweater and was still sexy!

Pam's husband(Harvey Jason, a character actor who has done tons of film and TV) and their son, Louis Jason, own Mystery Pier Books in West Hollywood. A very boutique book shop, they sell mostly first editions.

by Anonymousreply 79Last Friday at 10:57 AM

That's interesting, R78.

I think actors can be nude in European films when they are under 18 if they get permission from the parents.

Leonard Whiting was only 17 and Olivia Hussey was only 15 when they appeared nude in Zeffirelli's 1968 "Romeo & Juliet".

by Anonymousreply 80Last Friday at 10:58 AM

I had the privilege of meeting Dame Maggie in N.Y.. I have never met a classier or more gracious person, she asked my name and what I did and where I lived, totally without ego. I have met many nice actresses...Joan Rivers, Joan Bennett, Julie Andrews, Rikki Lake, June Lockhart, Angela Lansbury, Delta Burke to name a few. Nobody was as nice as Dame Maggie was to me. And I met Linda Levin, who was utterly charming.

by Anonymousreply 81Last Friday at 8:11 PM

Saw them both in David Hare’s “The Breath of Life” in the West End. Not a great play but it was very entertaining to watch the two of them spar.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Saturday at 3:25 AM

Judi likes trees and champagne.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Saturday at 3:28 AM

Dear Theatre Queen R81. I envy you meeting Dame Maggie.

Was she promoting a play? How tall was she compared to you.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Saturday at 2:48 PM

R84, I am 6 foot three inches, 175 lbs., so she seemed petite, maybe slightly shorter than the average woman. She was in N.Y. doing "Lettice and Lovage" with Margaret Tyzack. She seemed totally down to earth. Also, I meant Linda Levin, who, contrary to what some say on here, was also very nice.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Saturday at 4:22 PM

^

You're lucky. I understand that's the last regular production she has been in.

Since then she has only done the monologue "Bed Among The lentils" on stage.

by Anonymousreply 86Last Saturday at 4:25 PM

I think it's very important to note that Maggie gave us Toby Stephens.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Saturday at 4:26 PM

Toby is lovely as was his father Robert before he drank too much. But Maggiecappeared in the West End in Three Tall Women and Lady in the Van. Lady also a movie, maybe 2015.

by Anonymousreply 88Last Saturday at 4:31 PM

Does Toby take after Maggie of Robert? I can't quite decide.

He has Maggie's reddishness but that Robert Stephens was such a queer fish as well as an alcoholic

by Anonymousreply 89Last Saturday at 4:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!