Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm not having any luck with ebay

I listed a bunch of stuff doing Buy It Now auctions and after 30 days I only had one sale.

I relisted the unsold items as BIN and Best Offer and again only a couple of sales for less than half what I was asking.

I relisted the items as auction style listings and several items only sold for a few dollars and many went without bids.

A few years ago I'd post things on ebay and do pretty well, now I can't give this shit away.

by Anonymousreply 99January 28, 2018 1:08 AM

What are you trying to sell, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2017 10:15 PM

Mostly jewelry items like vintage watches and gold items.

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2017 10:16 PM

You're listing too high, or you have stuff that only a limited number of people want.

Do a search for similar items to yours that are selling auction style. How off are your prices?

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2017 10:20 PM

Honestly R3 my prices are inline with market value. I get most of my items at good prices so I can afford to list them low and still make money. A few items actually sold for less than scrap value.

A friend says it's because I'm in Canada and no one wants to buy from here.

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2017 10:23 PM

Ebay is so 2010

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2017 10:26 PM

R4, is it maybe that the shipping price is pushing them out of being competitively priced?

Are the sizes (perhaps of rings) weird?

I buy vintage fountain pens, and I frequently buy from Canada--and I don't see a discount bt Canadian and American pricing. But perhaps jewelry is different?

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2017 10:28 PM

Wait, do you also have a guy at your workplace who is sleeping in his car?

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2017 10:29 PM

Thanks for sharing, OP.

No one under 55 wants anything that is artistic, vintage, non-ironic or fine. They have no interest in cultural artifacts or the history that goes with their valuation. They don't recognize the concept of "quality" and have magpie-shiny taste. Their clothing is cheap and too tight and their sense of style is ghetto-urban-Italian-casual.

Give it up.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2017 10:30 PM

R8, you've got to be kidding.

1. Of course, there are people under 55 who wants thigns that are...etc.

2. Any jewelry being sold BELOW scrap metal pricing is not a cultural artifact and never was anything other than mass produced.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2017 10:34 PM

I don't recommend listing near Christmas because the scammers are out in droves at this time of year.

Offer that international shipping thing where buyers in the U.S. only have to pay U.S. shipping - I think it's called the Global Shipping Program. And consider working the shipping price into the item and not charging for shipping at all. I know you end up paying more in eBay fees that way but you do sell more if the item says Free Shipping on it.

Don't sell gold for less than scrap value because people will think you're scamming. Weigh it and list its weight in the auction, and sell for the scrap value of that weight or more.

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2017 10:38 PM

as r10 said, If the jewelry is priced that low I would assume it was fake. You would be better off just selling it for scrape value unless it's an antique

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2017 10:39 PM

I have had the same experience. I sold tens of thousands of dollars of collectibles 15-10 years for myself and others. Last year I tried to sell some stuff for a wife whose husband had left a bunch of comic book-related stuff. I priced it lower than recent auctions that sold and still got no takers.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2017 10:40 PM

I make jewelry as a hobby and sell all my scrap metal to a place called Rio Grande, you just mail it to them and they send you a check or if you want store credit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2017 10:44 PM

I used to have a lot of luck selling on ebay, but haven't in a while. I think the nature of ebay has changed, which makes it harder for individual sellers to sell items. The site seems to be taken over by "stores" and people selling bootleg merchandise, and there are very of the little guys just trying to sell an item here or there. It is a much different animal than it was even five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2017 10:46 PM

Amazon also has a lot of bootleg merch, especially facial care items. But eBay is positively swarming with it.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2017 10:51 PM

True r15. All the Lush products on amazon are fakes from china. Amazon really needs to crack down on it.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2017 10:55 PM

The reason you're having trouble, OP (and everyone else trying the eBay game) is that eBay sucks. They've screwed all of the good sellers who have abandoned the platform for others; they've screwed all of the buyers by having nothing but crap sellers selling crap. I sold on eBay until about 4 years ago after finally giving up after another sale went bad because the buyer lied about not receiving the item and despite the fact that I had his signature via UPS, eBay still sided with him and refunded him leaving me no recourse.

I wouldn't sell on eBay even if I was in debt, living in my car and showering at the office.

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2017 10:56 PM

eBay sides with sellers all the time. Just last month I bought expensive metal decorations from a lady who sent some used plastic crap in a box filled with leaves among the packing peanuts. I wanted a return and offered to pay return shipping, she agreed, then when she got the items back told eBay this was just "buyer's remorse" and I shouldn't get a refund. They (or their automated system) believed her. It took 30 minutes on the phone with someone who didn't speak English very well for them to even give me some of the money back.

The problem isn't that buyers are scammers, it's that eBay can't (or won't) handle scammers no matter what side of the transaction they're on.

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2017 11:00 PM

Melania/OP, your brand is toxic right now. Wait a few years and it will have kitsch value.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2017 11:03 PM

R6 shipping to USA is pretty expensive with tracking.

R11 most of the gold items are vintage and I don't have the hear to scrap them. I assumed that others would see the quality but that was a mistake on my part.

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2017 11:05 PM

R6 shipping to USA is pretty expensive with tracking.

R11 most of the gold items are vintage and I don't have the hear to scrap them. I assumed that others would see the quality but that was a mistake on my part.

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2017 11:05 PM

I think most of the collectors have been driven away. I can tell by the number of people who just look at things I have listed, for a 7 day listing it is often under 10 people. I think the Buy It Now people have ruined it with continually relisting their stuff at drunken millionaire prices. If Ebay also got rid of free listings that might make people more realistic.

As an example, there is a science fiction writer I collected over 30 years ago, though I have nothing much by him now. He died about 8 years ago, and in his career signed tens of thousands of his books. BIN sellers have his signed books priced as if Edgar Allen Poe had signed them. I walked through the science fiction section at Barnes and Noble recently and they don't even stock his books anymore, and his major fan base is my age and dying off. So who do these BIN seller think is going to buy these books at those prices.

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2017 11:06 PM

But some ebayers want really enormous amounts of money for their old shit. I've been on the look out for a reasonably priced old IBM Selectric--and people want like 300 or more + shipping for a 40 year old typewriter.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2017 11:29 PM

Shipping on a Selectric must be murder, those things weighed a ton. Do you have a “golf ball” collection to go with it?

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2017 11:32 PM

They sell the golf balls separately on ebay. The usual shipping I see is about 60. And these are selectrics with the paint peeled off--not minty.

I think there are buyers for all kinds of stuff if the price is reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2017 11:34 PM

Buy It Now really has ruined ebay.

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2017 11:35 PM

I get not wanting to sell these gold items for scrap. You might want to try Etsy. It's pretty cheap to list there, but you basically need to think of it as a shop -- you list something and then leave it for weeks or months before it sells. You also need to really up your photography game, as there are people on Etsy who make a career out of it and take insanely professional pictures. But for those vintage gold items, it may be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2017 11:50 PM

A friend used to sell on Ebay. Her complaints about how Ebay has changed are the same as the ones listed here. She is now on Etsy, and doing better. She has had more sales in 8 months than the past 3 years on Ebay. Without seeing the jewelry it is difficult to offer an opinion. I would just second that Etsy may be the way to go. It is so much cheaper than Ebay, something like 20 CENTS a listing, and the listing is good for 2 MONTHS.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2017 12:28 AM

I'll give Esty a try and see how it works.

by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2017 12:39 AM

It’s the Canada thing.

I ordered a couple things from Canada on Ebay, and customs took over a month and a half both times.

I don’t order anything from Canada anymore.

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2017 12:48 AM

I'm currently selling on ebay-i don't have a store or anything, I have about 50 listings. It's really slow, but i have made sales. The reason prices are so high is that ebay takes 13% of your sale, then you have to pay a percentage on shipping. Then final value fees. Most sellers are pricing their items so that they cover those costs, and make some kind of profit. I'm selling because i have a lot of medical bills to pay and anything helps.

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2017 1:00 AM

I used to make OK money selling stuff on ebay. Was able to do it successfully for a couple of years. Sold mostly vintage, clothing (newish and vintage), books, records, etc., but it all came to a screeching halt about a year ago.

I think it was a combination of the market changing, so much cheap Chinese crap being allowed on there, and customer perception of eBay as a whole. I had 100s of sale, and a 100% positive feedback score, but ultimately didn't matter.

I'm actually still a little bitter about it because I really loved everything doing it.

I'm sure it's still possible to sellet on there, but being able to relyou on it for business sremain very difficult if not unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2017 1:39 AM

I tried to sell a 1980s Men's Movado watch on eBay a few years ago and had the same problem. The first auction didn't meet the reserve, so I had a 2nd auction with a lower reserve, and only got $140 for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2017 5:08 AM

You could try 1st Dibs. They seem to move stuff.

by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2017 5:25 AM

Or Poshmark or Mercari?

by Anonymousreply 35November 30, 2017 5:32 AM

I have never used ebay in my life, but I want to unload a couple of items on there. One of those things is an original script from a 1998 X-Files episode, during a two-week period when I was interning for the show in Vancouver; I have never given a shit about that series, and have no attachment to this item. Would ANYONE even be interested in this shit?

...maybe this isn't the right place to ask. Sorry for horning in on your thread ("horning in" courtesy of Dr. Kornbluth from the film "Splash"). I will do my own research.

by Anonymousreply 36November 30, 2017 5:34 AM

R36, yes, those sorts of things do sell.

by Anonymousreply 37November 30, 2017 5:56 AM

R33, was it quartz or automatic?

by Anonymousreply 38November 30, 2017 5:57 AM

i have about 100 archie comics from the early 60's i wonder if they would sell

by Anonymousreply 39November 30, 2017 6:16 AM

R36 I’ve actually purchased some scripts in the past, niche market but there is interest. For anything listed, good descriptions/photos help, episode title, season and ep number, original vs reprint, autographed, etc... Also think of how people might mess up their search i.e. X-Files, Xfiles, etc...

For any listing, check out the competition i.e. look at similar items and how they’re listed, price, shipping, etc...

by Anonymousreply 40November 30, 2017 7:50 AM

The problem, OP, is that eBay markets itself as a place for great deals. Consequently, everyone wants everything for cheap. It is next to impossible to get a decent price for anything on eBay nowadays. eBay should have split its vintage/antique business from its new merchandise business years ago. What works for new jeans or cameras, does not work for vintage or antique items. Also, thanks to Amazon, etc., everyone expects free shipping. Again, OK if one is shipping a new item in factory packaging. Not OK, if one is sending a fragile antique.

Rubylane used to be a good alternative, but they have now instituted a 50% off red tag sale. O f course the consumer now waits until the red tag sale and expects everything at 50% off.

by Anonymousreply 41November 30, 2017 11:20 AM

R40 - you purchased these on eBay recently? I have a friend that has about 10-12 scripts that she is looking to get rid of. Not sure of the programs.

by Anonymousreply 42November 30, 2017 11:33 AM

Archie Comics are not going to go for much. Put them in one auction with no reserve and you might get $20.

by Anonymousreply 43November 30, 2017 11:35 AM

R38, it was a quartz movement.

by Anonymousreply 44November 30, 2017 4:52 PM

anyone have any knowledge on vintage couture?? I have a Vintage Lucile Manguin dress made in Paris, but on the label it says Reproduction Manguin Paris. My friends mother bought it on a trip to Paris in the 80's and bought it.

by Anonymousreply 45November 30, 2017 4:54 PM

IR45, selling a piece like that depends a lot on the garment itself: color/materials/condition/season, size, occasion, etc. Take every measurement you can, take photos, preferably with someone wearing it, and post on a shop site like etsy. Describe it well. I can't say how much you can charge without more information. If it is fabulous, the right buyer will find you.

by Anonymousreply 46November 30, 2017 5:36 PM

thanks R46 that helps a lot.

by Anonymousreply 47November 30, 2017 6:11 PM

R45, the dress is probably a licensed copy made for a department store. I am checking with a friend for more information.

by Anonymousreply 48November 30, 2017 6:12 PM

Ebay "buyers" are cheap ass basic bitches who want something for nothing.. either that or PayPal fraudsters who know every scam in the book.. unless your selling stuff dirt cheap it's hard to make a sale on there.. You could list a brand new Porsche for a dollar and you'd still get someone trying to barter you down to 80 cents...

by Anonymousreply 49November 30, 2017 6:20 PM

R45, try the Fashion Designers 1800-1950 Facebook group.

by Anonymousreply 50November 30, 2017 6:27 PM

I didn't get laid on eBay so I tried Craigslist

by Anonymousreply 51November 30, 2017 6:28 PM

thanks R45 and R50, i would like to sell it but i don't think ebay would be the right platform for it. i appreciate you help and responses.

by Anonymousreply 52November 30, 2017 6:51 PM

i meant thanks R48, i don't have my glasses on.

by Anonymousreply 53November 30, 2017 6:53 PM

R53, no problem since both posts are mine. I would definitely do some research first. I agree that eBay is not the best place. I think you would probably do best by posting a few discreet posts asking for information on a few of the better Facebook fashion groups. Don't indicate that it is for sale, as most groups have a no selling policy, but if it is of value, you will get PMs.

by Anonymousreply 54November 30, 2017 6:59 PM

thanks again R54, you've helped me out a lot. I had no idea it was probably made for a dept. store, as the Reproduction on the label threw me off. I will be researching more about it and hopefully be able to sell it.

by Anonymousreply 55November 30, 2017 7:14 PM

The thing is quartz watches--of almost any brand--are not worth very much.

by Anonymousreply 56November 30, 2017 10:24 PM

Some prick who was outbid in the last few seconds on one of my auctions accused me of shill bidding then reported me to ebay. Now ebay is monitoring all my listings.

I told the fucker that if I was shill bidding on my listings I wouldn't be losing so much money on the stuff I sell.

I really hate ebay and must stop using it.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2017 4:18 PM

No one wants to buy all my old Kevin Spacey movie posters!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2017 4:26 PM

[quote]Ebay "buyers" are cheap ass basic bitches who want something for nothing..

Agreed. I use Ebay and Craigslist to sell things I no longer need or want. Years ago Craigslist buyers were the worst in low balling offers. My items sold well through Ebay. Now the situation is reversed. I still get low offers through Craigslist but eventually someone comes through who offers a fair price. I just turned off my Make an Offer option on a couple of items I have on Ebay because the offers I got were so ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2017 4:43 PM

r14 r15 i don't get when people talk about chinese fakes. they make the original stuff at the factories, then when the night shift goes in they make all the fake stuff...but it's the same stuff. my phone protector/case that i paid 1 dollar for free shipping from china is exactly the same as the $22.99 one i saw at the store in the same color. this goes for yeezy shoes. they have stores in china that sell only fake yeezy. i ordered a protective case for my kobo arc 7 for $3 dollars free shipping and they even threw in a stylus that i use with it! i've never been disappointed with anything from china.

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2017 5:00 PM

I buy a lot of chinese knock offs of fountain pens and electronic parts, and they're mostly fine. But, for the love of God, don't buy cheap cosmetics on ebay or knock offs.

by Anonymousreply 61December 5, 2017 3:29 AM

What's up with people who don't pay right away? Twice in the past few weeks I've had someone win an auction and not pay immediately afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2017 6:22 AM

R62 I find this happens a lot with Asian high bidders. They will wait until the very last minute of the four day period to pay.

by Anonymousreply 63December 6, 2017 6:55 PM

Remember in the early 2000's when eBay Drop-off stores were being called the next big thing? ISoldIt was a franchise. A friend bought into it and lost a lot of $.

by Anonymousreply 64December 6, 2017 7:11 PM

r18

This is why you only buy with a credit card (not debit card) and do a chargeback if eBay sides against you.

Really the OP should try Craigslist with a local pickup, cash only option.

It's really too expensive to sell on eBay because of shipping and fees for the little guy. It's like garage sales now, ever since Antiques Roadshow people think their garbage is worth 100 times what it actually is.

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2017 8:32 PM

[quote]ever since Antiques Roadshow people think their garbage is worth 100 times what it actually is

And sadly people who sell outside of ebay will use ebay BIN asking prices to justify their own absurd asking prices.

by Anonymousreply 66December 6, 2017 9:43 PM

I am an eBay seller. I do it part time, but run it like a business, since that's what it is. I sell mostly vintage clothing with a few contemporary men's items if they're in high demand. I also sell vintage kitsch, if it's in great condition. I love hooking up a buyer with something he loves and has been searching for.

I ship using all new materials that are branded with the eBay logo and my store name. Everything is packed neatly and has been freshly washed. I try to make it a delight for the buyer to open the package. The anticipation is part of the pleasure. Plus, you never know when your item might end up in someone's YouTube unboxing video!

Buy It Now is pretty much the way to go for almost everything unless it's something that you know will be in high demand and you generate interest for it on Instagram. Great photos, lots of details, and a 30 day return period are what will sell your item. When I buy on eBay, I shy away from sellers who don't take returns and who fill their listings with multiple paragraphs about what they will and won't tolerate from a buyer, and excuses about how they can't be expected to catch every flaw in an item, etc.

When it comes to pricing, it's crucial to know the market. If I have something special, I put a high BIN price on it with Best Offer and generally will throw in free USPS Priority shipping. I consider a lowball offer to be a negotiating tactic and love to work deals with buyers.

I keep around 500 items listed at any one time and am always on the lookout for cool stuff. My inventory is stored in a climate controlled storage unit. Clothing is on zracks, fragile items on shelving, and everything else in matching, numbered bins.

I am fortunate to live in an area where nice stuff is inexpensive to find and there is very little competition for it from other resellers and other people looking to buy for themselves.

I spend about 15 hours a week on eBay stuff, prepping items, taking photos, doing measurements, getting shipments ready, etc. I netted a little over $12K last year. That's chump change to a lot of people, but it's decent money for doing something fun.

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2017 10:13 PM

anyone know anything about the clothing brand sterling and hunt? i know its a british brand, but i have a vintage suede jacket with Jack Nicklaus signature all over the inside lining.

by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2017 10:37 PM

I give you a positive, R67. Those sellers who go on and on about "What I [bold]Simply[/bold] Won't Allow in Buyers" drive me away instantly. I don't care much about whether someone says they'll allow returns or not, as I only want to return something when it arrives broken or is otherwise "not as described." Such items are automatically returnable per eBay rules. I don't return things simply because I don't like them.

Another category of bad seller is the one who won't provide decent pics, even when asked. ESPECIALLY when asked.

by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2017 11:04 PM

R69, thank you! My goal is to remove obstacles for buyers, not put more in the way, and all that negative verbiage is a real turn off. The only thing I put in my listings is a brief description of the item. I add details in the item specifics so it's easier for people to see on their phones, but for people using their laptops or a desktop, it's nice to see a recap in the main section.

A lack of photos (or terrible photos) drives me nuts, too! eBay allows you to upload 12 high resolution photos for free. It only takes a few moments to snap 12 good pics. All you need is a good smartphone or a basic digital camera. Front, back, left, right, 3/4 view, top, bottom, label/maker's mark, interior/inside lining -- that's 9, so there's 3 left over to show details or flaws. For clothing, I use Sizely to generate a black and white diagram of the item showing the measurements, and upload that as an image.

I am right in the middle of listing some hats right now. Hats are my favorite, to wear and to sell.

by Anonymousreply 70December 10, 2017 12:06 AM

I've been selling on EBAY for the last three years. Mostly mid-century collectables and old photos. I sell for about $1000 a month and I'm quite happy with it. I know many who hate EBAY and had bad experiences with their buyer's protection program. I can honestly say that I've had no more than 3 or 4 "bad experiences" with lousy buyers but at more than 2000 sales I think that it is nothing and I do not stress about it. I' m not going to fight over a vase that I bought for $5 if the customer is not happy with it and wants a return or a credit. I just make sure that all of my customers are happy and it is much easier that way. But you cannot make money on EBAY by just listing and not doing anything else. You have to have sales, promotions and have follow-ups with your customers. Many of my customers buy from me often so you have to build that relationship with your clients as if you had a real brick and mortar store. Regular customers ask me about specific items and I keep my eyes open for them. One guy in California collects vintage hotel ware, another in Texas enamel plates, another one in Maine buys 1960s porn mags. You have to adapt and be flexible. For me, EBAY is easy, fun and lucrative. And it only gets better. I also believe that you cannot only have a few listings. You have to reach as many potential buyers as possible. I have around 2000 listings and growing a little bit more every week. I also have an EBAY store so costs are less and profits are higher. But as with anything and everything you have to put your time and energy in it to make it work. That is why so many people try and fail.

by Anonymousreply 71December 10, 2017 1:47 AM

Do you sell any Metlox Colorstax, R71? It's frequently listed as "mid-century" though Metlox didn't start to produce it until 1978.

by Anonymousreply 72December 10, 2017 1:50 AM

Yes, sales and promotions are important, as is listing regularly. A two-day sale is perfect, because the new prices will bump your listings higher in eBay search results. Likewise, at the 24-hour mark, your listings will get another boost because they'll be ending soon.

Listing regularly is better than listing a lot at one time, because it shows more account activity on your part. For example, if you have 10 items you'd like to sell, it's better to list two per day for five days rather than to list all 10 at once.

by Anonymousreply 73December 10, 2017 3:23 AM

How do I get buyers to leave me feedback? I've had over 3000 sales over the years but only have 900 feedbacks.

by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2017 7:00 PM

R74, let your buyers know that positive feedback is appreciated and reciprocated.

by Anonymousreply 75December 10, 2017 7:08 PM

I don't worry about getting feedback. I do include a packing slip and write "Thank You!" on it. About 2/3 of buyers leave me feedback, so I think the packing slip helps in some way.

The packing slip is printed with something like, "Thank you for your order! Enjoy your _______ ! If you're not happy with it for any reason, please let me know and I'll be glad to issue a refund. Thanks again and have a great day!"

I also leave feedback for buyers as soon as I pack the item and generate a shipping label.

by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2017 7:18 PM

R74 Isn't their money enough!

I'm guilty of not leaving feedback most of the time. Either I forget and it's past the deadline or I'm not entirely happy with them but not enough to involve Ebay or kick up a stink.

by Anonymousreply 77December 10, 2017 8:10 PM

I always leave feedback for my buyers right after they pay, but I've never included a note with the purchase. I'd just like to have a higher feedback count as that seems to make people more confident in bidding.

by Anonymousreply 78December 10, 2017 9:45 PM

R78, I used to do that. I stopped after I noticed most people weren't leaving me feedback.

by Anonymousreply 79December 10, 2017 9:52 PM

R78 It only makes buyers more confident in you if you offering the same product. If it's something they really want it won't matter. It's the description and pictures that matter most. Any negative feedback will also cost you.

R79 If you don't leave feedback first as a seller good luck get any from buyers.

by Anonymousreply 80December 10, 2017 9:59 PM

R80, I did that for a long time but didn't get a lot of feedback in return. That's why I stopped doing it. I ship right after payment, package everything very well, and communicate with the buyers. Sometimes I send extra pictures when requested.

by Anonymousreply 81December 10, 2017 10:28 PM

I used to buy on eBay but prices became ridiculous, so I don't bother to even look on eBay anymore.

by Anonymousreply 82December 10, 2017 10:31 PM

I used to buy a medical product that is rx only in the US. I bought it from Poland. I spent about $18 a tube. It's now being listed by Australians for $35 and $39 shipping. Wtf?

Ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 83December 10, 2017 10:34 PM

I have heard that shipping from Australia and even within Australia itself is expensive. Even from the US to Oz, a one lb. international first class package is almost $22, and that's with USPS commercial base pricing. $39 is pretty steep, though. Maybe the seller is sending it via the equivalent of priority?

by Anonymousreply 84December 10, 2017 11:01 PM

Tracked shipping from Canada to USA is $14USD and to Europe can be as much as $35 USD. Canada Post is a huge rip-off, offering the exact same service they did a few years ago but calling it Track-Pack and doubling the rates.

by Anonymousreply 85December 10, 2017 11:13 PM

It's about the same price for 9-16 oz. first class international from the US to Canada. It seems steep to me, but at least we get tracking to Canada. USPS FCI to most countries from the US doesn't include tracking/delivery confirmation, which basically means the seller is sending off the package and hoping it arrives.

I had two buyers in Japan report that their packages had not arrived after almost 5 weeks. I refunded them both in full. They weren't big sales -- a couple of vintage tees -- so I considered it a cost of doing business. One guy messaged me about two weeks later and said his item did finally arrive, and he insisted on repaying me through PayPal. Never heard anything from the other buyer.

I still ship international to select countries, but unless there's tracking/delcon with first class mail, I send it priority international. It's more expensive for the buyer and I know I've lost sales over it, but it's good to have peace of mind.

by Anonymousreply 86December 11, 2017 12:12 AM

R81 You sound like a great seller. I can't really offer anymore suggestions or explanations apart from people having less discretionary spending and that global shipping turned off a lot of overseas buyers. Maybe Ebay's poor reputation has finally caught up with itself.

R84 Yes shipping to Australia can be a cunt, made even worse with that bullshit global shipping. I used to have a US address and get shit shipped from there from US shops. A lot cheaper and faster shipping if you're buying a lot. Shipping within Australia isn't that expensive though when you pay almost the same price for something (e.g. book) to be shipped from overseas compared to something that's in the next state questions should be asked.

by Anonymousreply 87December 11, 2017 12:36 AM

eBay's Global Shipping Program is awful. I know of several sellers who sent their items to the GSP facility in Kentucky and Pitney Bowes, which runs the program, repacked them. I'm assuming they were trying to get the weight down, even though the buyers had already paid in full for the original weight of the packages. They did a terrible job and the items arrived broken.

On top of that, buyers who buy through GSP pay customs fees, even though the value of the item may not be high enough to require customs fees for their particular country.

by Anonymousreply 88December 11, 2017 12:43 AM

[quote]Sometimes I send extra pictures when requested.

Why only sometimes, r81?

by Anonymousreply 89December 11, 2017 12:45 AM

R89, not just sometimes. I'll send them when people ask.

by Anonymousreply 90December 11, 2017 1:04 AM

Is there a way to tell how long an item has been listed on ebay?

by Anonymousreply 91December 11, 2017 10:02 AM

Depending on where you are in Canada, I would try the Kijiji website.

by Anonymousreply 92December 11, 2017 10:29 AM

R91, as a buyer, there is no way to tell for sure how long an item has been listed on eBay. You can use advanced search and filter by completeds, which will give you items that were completed (either sold or expired/ended) in the last 90 days, but that's as precise as it gets.

If a seller uses the GTC (Good Till Canceled) option when listing an item, then he can see on his end when he listed the item. Otherwise, not even sellers have any way of knowing from eBay when an item was first listed.

I do not use GTC. Instead, I renew my listings every 30 days, so the only way I know how long something is listed is by checking my inventory spreadsheet.

by Anonymousreply 93December 11, 2017 11:25 AM

R92 Kijiji was great when it started back in 2005 but today it's just as bad as ebay for selling and buying.

by Anonymousreply 94December 11, 2017 3:27 PM

It's a junkyard of Chinese garbage these days, I just have alerts set for a few very specific things I'm after like particular issues of magazines, out of print books, or vintage homeware items.

by Anonymousreply 95December 11, 2017 3:33 PM

Has anyone ever reported a buyer for violating Ebay's buying practices policy? I just sold some software and now the buyer wants a refund saying it wasn't described accurately in my listing and wasn't what he was expecting. Not only was my description accurate but I included pictures of the box and manuals so he knew what he would get. Now he's threatening me with negative feedback if I don't refund him. Nothing was wrong with the software. I think he just wanted to get something for nothing. And the lies about my description not being accurate and the threat of negative feedback if I don't make it right by him rub me the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 96January 27, 2018 11:21 PM

R96 this happened to me this month. I sold a vintage coin, posted 16 pictures and a three paragraph description. The buyer received it, waited 5 weeks then decided he wanted a partial refund.

I refused and he opened an "Item Not As Described" claim. I fought it as much as I could but ebay sided with him saying I had to pay for him to return the coin and then refund the entire amount including the original shipping.

He sent me a message saying he'd accept a 50% refund. I told him to leave me a positive feedback first which he did and I gave him the refund.

Ebay's policy is to side with the buyer no matter what OP, so if you can get away with a partial refund and tell him to keep the software try that, if not tell him to return the software.

I've got a couple of things listed one bay that I'm trying to sell and if they do fine, but if not I've decided not to sell on ebay anymore.

by Anonymousreply 97January 28, 2018 12:04 AM

Yeah, everything I've read says Ebay always sides with buyers. Given the strong wording of his last email, I doubt he's going to want only a partial refund. I'm cleaning out some of my old stuff and unfortunately Ebay is the best place to get rid of most of it.

by Anonymousreply 98January 28, 2018 12:49 AM

I saw a couple of references to Poshmark. DON'T USE IT.

I caught one seller lying about the size of shoes listed; after a lot of back-and-forth, they finally posted a picture of the size on the inside of the shoe and it didn't match the size they listed.

I did buy a name-brand sweater, and when I got it, it was stained & smelled funky. I returned it. Should never have been listed -- person was trying to sell old crap in their closet.

Poshmark doesn't let you zoom in on the item, and there are no returns unless the buyer lies. It's a way for people to clear out crap from their house.

by Anonymousreply 99January 28, 2018 1:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!