Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why DId Greg Kinnear's Career Tank?

He seemed well on his way to becoming an A-List movie star around ten years ago when Little Miss Sunshine came out.

He was good-looking, seemed intelligent, had decent range, was popular and then boom! Disappeared.

A friend of mine always says that Bradley Cooper stole Kinnear's career and she has a point in that Kinnear could have played a lot of Cooper's roles.

So what happened?

by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2019 8:59 AM

Shit-- accidentally deleted some of that first paragraph. Should have read:

[quote] He seemed well on his way to becoming an A-List movie star and then his career seemed to disappear around ten years ago right after Little Miss Sunshine came out.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2017 5:14 AM

I like him a lot. Problem is, or at least one, he got old, dumpy, and raggedy ass looking way too soon. The truth is though he probably had a much bigger career than he deserved. Someone high up liked him.

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2017 5:15 AM

You think R2?

This photo is from last month and he looks good for 53

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2017 5:21 AM

One possibility: he made too many films too quickly. If you look at his IMDb page, you'll see that he appeared in A LOT of films from about 2000 on. He was in 3 or 4 features a year -- it seems like he was doing virtually every role he was offered. He managed a few hits, but with that kind of output, the failures begin to rack up pretty quickly. You can only be in so many disappointing film projects before your rising star begins to descend.

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2017 5:41 AM

Wow he looks quite different at R3

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2017 5:45 AM

In Hollywood it's called the duplication of energy effect. It means that whatever Kinnear has, someone else also has it, but that someone else can open a movie and Kinnear can't . It's why Reese Witherspoon is doing TV now.

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2017 5:57 AM

I loved him on Talk Soup but I never thought he had a lot of range as an actor. Always seems to play a variation of his snarky self. He had a much better run in Hollywood than a lot of others and he continues to work regularly.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2017 5:58 AM

He is in three movies about to be released. From 1988 onward he has never stopped working. He has a career that 99.99999999999 percent of actors would envy. Would kill for. His career has just taken a natural trajectory. At this point I'd still rather have his career then Clooney's. To go from Talk Soup to a major movie and television career like he did is a once in a generation thing. He's got nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to careers.

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2017 6:07 AM

He was great in As Good As It Gets.

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2017 6:08 AM

Whom has he sexually harassed?

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2017 6:11 AM

Just listened to him on the Nerdist podcast. It sounds like he's not really sweating the career stuff, working when he wants to and on things that he'd enjoy. His kids are still pretty young, and they're his top priority.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2017 6:14 AM

I thought he was robbed for the Best Supporting Actor for As Good As It Gets.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2017 6:17 AM

Overall blandness and lack of charisma and screen presence. He's kind of a cypher. I don't even remember what he looks like.

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2017 6:18 AM

He got old...fast

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2017 6:22 AM

GK was dull and bland as an actor. Never had the charisma of an A-lister.

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2017 6:22 AM

He was good in Little Miss Sunshine too.

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2017 6:23 AM

He is only as good as his material. He is a journeyman actor but never seems to rise above that.

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2017 6:28 AM

[quote] A friend of mine always says that Bradley Cooper stole Kinnear's career and she has a point in that Kinnear could have played a lot of Cooper's roles.

Your friend is crazy. Anyone could have played Bradley Cooper's roles. Doesn't mean they would have been good. Kinnear always gave off an older vibe than Cooper does. Even when Kinnear was Cooper's age

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2017 6:29 AM

I'd like to see him play nasty. Something like a serial killer. I think he'd do dead eyes great.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2017 6:30 AM

I think he also didn't want to work that hard. I remember reading about 5 or 6 years ago that he was basically retiring. Also, he probably hit his stride a little too late, since it came after his time at E.

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2017 6:33 AM

I think Steve Carrell got his career not Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2017 6:35 AM

Yeah, I was surprised he turned Talk Soup into an acting career., and I loved Talk Soup. He was already in his mid 30s, but like the poster said above, if an actor can grab 15 years of solid work that's fantastic! Just save your money and realize "fame is the waiting room for obscurity!" (Carrie Fisher quote attempt).

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2017 6:35 AM

I've always hated hated him. You know when certain people just hit you the wrong way and you hate everything about them...the way they look, talk, walk, facial expressions, hair, just everything? That's how I feel about him. Can't watch movies with him at all.

R3 was funny. No wonder his career went nowhere...he turned into a Hootie. (Yes, I know his pic is further down the page but that was still funny as a response to him not having changed much!)

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2017 6:39 AM

[quote]Your friend is crazy. Anyone could have played Bradley Cooper's roles. Doesn't mean they would have been good.

Bradley Cooper doesn't have a career because he's some great thespian. He was just a TV actor whose last sitcom ("Hell's Kitchen") died quickly, then he got lucky by appearing in "The Hangover," an overrated comedy made popular by the same teenage boys whose previous contribution to society was making Adam Sandler a movie star. As an actor Cooper isn't really that much better than Kinnear, he's just luckier that his star hasn't burned out as fast.

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2017 7:27 AM

Sorry, not "Hell's Kitchen," I meant "Kitchen Confidential."

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2017 7:30 AM

He has a very respectable always working resume. He’s a next generation Gene Hackman that way. Something will resonate with viewers when he does some older roles, and concrete him with some long lasting respect.

by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2017 7:48 AM

For some reason when I saw his name I was thinking of the guy who sings this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2017 8:03 AM

Gene Hackman is a great actor. He is very, very far from a Gene Hackman.

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2017 10:53 AM

He's not my type at all, but he still manages to push all my buttons.

Can't wait for him to revitalize his career by coming to Broadway.

Willie Loman, anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2017 12:36 PM

I've always wanted to suck his feet and cock.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2017 12:41 PM

Like the above poster said he has a career most actors would kill for. He had a pretty good 10 year run between As Good As It Gets and and Little Miss Sunshine. He’s gotten Oscar and Emmy nominations. Just to work in tv and film is 90% the battle.

He has this Everyman quality just like Tom Hanks but Hanks has been extremely luckier than 99.9 % of actors.

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2017 12:43 PM

I wish he was my boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2017 12:47 PM

He is dull to watch and act kind of spaced out in most of his roles.

by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2017 12:58 PM

I think he’s sexy as hell. And I LOVED his performance in As Good as it Gets.

by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2017 12:59 PM

I find him good looking but with zero sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 35November 26, 2017 1:03 PM

R10 - if he was an actress with that career trajectory - which fairly abruptly trailed off - we'd all now be asking who she was getting hatrassed by and did someone pull a Weinstein on her and fuck up her career for not coming across or threatening to go public about what happened...

But hey - that sorta shit couldn't happen to a man. Right?

by Anonymousreply 36November 26, 2017 1:10 PM

He'll probably end up doing a TV show in the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2017 1:13 PM

His lack of charisma is made for TV.

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2017 1:14 PM

so do you, r38, you flop.

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2017 1:16 PM

I thought he was bland as an actor until I saw him in The Gift where he played a villainous role and played on his "good guy" image to brilliant effect in Auto Focus.

The last time I saw him in a major Hollywood film was some Christian movie so I knew his career had tanked. He had a good run. But he is directing a film and has some projects in line.

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2017 1:20 PM

His dull, mediocre manner killed his career.

by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2017 1:27 PM

I know guys who were friends with him in college. They suspected he was gay back then, but I guess that isn't the case. I don't remember *why* they thought he was gay.

I was really disappointed with AUTO FOCUS. I didn't think his performance, or the film in general, really went deep enough into the whole twisted Bob Crane story.

by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2017 1:44 PM

He needs an edgy series on Netflix or Amazon to reinvent himself.

by Anonymousreply 43November 26, 2017 1:52 PM

I think you're right R43

And while he did/does have a career most actors would kill for, he does seem to be working a lot less these past ten years, particularly on high profile projects.

He has an everyman quality like Hanks, but he was always a bit more handsome. That may have hurt him in that Hanks looks like the guy next door (ditto Carrell) where Kinnear looked like the guy next door who looks like a catalog model.

by Anonymousreply 44November 26, 2017 1:59 PM

He was in Ghost Town with Ricky Gervais. Funny movie, he was perfect for Gervais to play off.

by Anonymousreply 45November 26, 2017 2:27 PM

I am not an actor dummy so stop projecting Greg kinnear almost nonexisting movie star career unto me.

by Anonymousreply 46November 26, 2017 2:55 PM

No. He was never that goodlooking or that much of an actor. I remember as a kid thinking "he's playing the goodlooking guy? How could people take him seriously."

by Anonymousreply 47November 26, 2017 3:06 PM

R13 and R15 YUP

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2017 3:07 PM

R36 he was in his 40s when his sort of hot streak ended. When an actresses career trails off in her mid 40s we assume it's because there aren't a lot of roles for that age demo. Hollywood is ageist. When a woman's career goes from hot to not in her twenties I tend to think it's harassment related. It could happen to a man, but more likely to a young man than a middle aged one.

by Anonymousreply 49November 26, 2017 3:07 PM

Believe it or not there are some actors who have no interest in becoming mega stars. They just want to work, make a good living, and have a happy life without all the rigamarole that comes with the higher echelons of stardom. Just because someone's career seems to not be progressing higher and higher doesn't always mean the performer has failed at some point. It may mean the career is taking a trajectory the performer has chosen on his or her own.

by Anonymousreply 50November 26, 2017 4:39 PM

He was really very good too in the misbegotten remake of "Sabrina" in the William Holden part.

by Anonymousreply 51November 26, 2017 4:52 PM

he looks so... mormon. That kills charisma and sex appeal, two things you absolutely need to become A-list.

by Anonymousreply 52November 26, 2017 4:57 PM

Bradley Cooper stole Aaron Eckharts career. Greg is a less successful Tom Hanks

by Anonymousreply 53November 26, 2017 5:04 PM

I'd rather talk about WHET Steve Kmetko...

by Anonymousreply 54November 26, 2017 5:12 PM

He proved in that Siamese twin movie that he’s got a decent set of pipes. Someone should cast him in a musical.

by Anonymousreply 55November 26, 2017 5:12 PM

I remember when Greg Kinnear was the host of E's Talk Soup before he broke out in film roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 26, 2017 5:16 PM

He lately looks like he has cheeks filled with hard-boiled eggs.

by Anonymousreply 57November 26, 2017 6:00 PM

Hmm...not seeing that, R57.

From one month ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 26, 2017 6:08 PM

[quote] Bradley Cooper doesn't have a career because he's some great thespian.

That's certainly not what I meant. Cooper is a fair actor. Maybe a little bit more than fair. But he's good looking and has some charm. Greg Kinnear was okay looking. Maybe he was even good looking to some people, but he was never great looking. And he didn't have the youngish charm that Cooper seems to have. Cooper isn't my type, but he appeals to the masses much more than Kinnear ever could

The only way I would ever watch either of these guy's movies is if they were on cable.

by Anonymousreply 59November 26, 2017 6:10 PM

He spent too long on that dopey E show and so he wasn’t taken seriously when he switched to films.

by Anonymousreply 60November 26, 2017 6:29 PM

I really like Kinnear. Guess I best self disclose as a straight woman . Sorry!!! To me he has a more interesting face and persona then then the cookie 🍪 cutter Cooper type (with hair way too dark in that insipid Kitchen whatever movie).

He was fortunate to get some great roles -- have we ever seen cooper working with someone like Nicholson? You have to be fairly strong onscreen to carry that off.

If he really wanted the so called A list or pretty boy roles he could join the plastic surgery cult a la Tom Cruise. He has a great body and I think his Alfred E Newman what me worry look is kinda endearing. The blue eyes peaking out between the wrinkles are sweet. Maybe he's smart and waiting for the right script .....ok.... haters ready set go,,,,,,why am I here .... go away frau ....blah blah

by Anonymousreply 61November 26, 2017 7:45 PM

Love him since his Talk Soup days. Everyone doesnt have to be a mega star. I'm happy he's been with us.

by Anonymousreply 62November 26, 2017 7:51 PM

At r3 's pic, Greg definitely has the money to get his hair and face "refreshed". Necessary in Hollywood unless you want a Jeffrey Tambor part!

by Anonymousreply 63November 26, 2017 8:03 PM

He's been getting too much sun at R3. Lay off the tanning oil Greg!

by Anonymousreply 64November 26, 2017 8:07 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 65November 27, 2017 3:07 AM

I saw [italic]As Good as it Gets[/italic] as a gay teenager and walked out of the theater with a crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 66November 27, 2017 3:22 AM

It's hard for me to watch that movie because of the gay bashing scene and considering Matthew Shepard's death occurred around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 67November 27, 2017 3:23 AM

Kinnear was by far at his hottest when he was on Talk Soup, and not just because he was young then. He had a charming sexy snark that he's never brought to any of his film roles, sadly. Too often, he's been cast as the wholesome good guy.

by Anonymousreply 68November 27, 2017 3:25 AM

You sound nice r61

by Anonymousreply 69November 27, 2017 3:26 AM

He's had and has a great career.

by Anonymousreply 70November 27, 2017 3:33 AM

R70 hi Greg welcome to DL. BTW I hated you on Talk Soup.

by Anonymousreply 71November 27, 2017 4:09 AM

Like R51, I loved him Sabrina, though don't agree it was misbegotten. Everyone in that film was great.

by Anonymousreply 72November 27, 2017 4:39 AM

He refused to present hole.

by Anonymousreply 73November 27, 2017 10:11 AM

R71 will be in the first batch of transees when I take over

by Anonymousreply 74November 27, 2017 1:08 PM

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 75November 27, 2017 3:17 PM

[quote]I was really disappointed with AUTO FOCUS. I didn't think his performance, or the film in general, really went deep enough into the whole twisted Bob Crane story.

Agreed, but I thought his performance was good. There's this moment when he's between scenes while shooting a Disney movie where he's just chatting about his fucked up sex life while looking and sounding like Mr All-American, and he's perfect.

As much as I love Paul Schrader, he seemed to be in over his head. I listened to the commentary and he didn't realize the taped sex scene would give the film an X rating, and when he found out he decided to fucking PIXELLATE the scene. In a major motion picture release! Didn't even edit it down, and clearly had no idea people would be thinking "WTF?" seeing something pixellated in the theater.

Schrader also has trouble with endings. HARDCORE has this weird weak ending, as does AMERICAN GIGOLO.

by Anonymousreply 76November 27, 2017 6:26 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 77September 8, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote] He seemed well on his way to becoming an A-List movie star around ten years ago

No he was not. He's never been even close.

by Anonymousreply 78September 8, 2019 8:20 PM

He is in 4 films this year. An Ira Sachs film called Frankie, Strange but True with Brian Cox and Nick Robinson, The Red Sea Diving Resort with Ben Kingsley, and Phil, which he starred and directed which tanked. This hardly looks like the career of an actor who's tanked. DL really has slipped. You people are idiots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 8, 2019 8:44 PM

r3 I am about the same age and look 10 years younger, that is not good for 53.

by Anonymousreply 80September 8, 2019 8:47 PM

He's been busy taking his son to school on the UES, and getting into hijinks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 8, 2019 8:47 PM

English is not my first language but as gayling in the late 90s who struggles to understand the dialogue in As Good As It Gets his character Simon gave me hope that even gays can find happiness in the end despite all the obstacles and challenges. It was the first step of my own sexuality acceptance. I'm glad many of you remember that film.

by Anonymousreply 82September 8, 2019 9:17 PM

He'd probably do very well on television. He presents a genial likability that appeals to the masses.

by Anonymousreply 83September 8, 2019 11:09 PM

I'd get a kick out of seeing him on a Star Trek series.

by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2019 8:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!