Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bombshell - Hedy Lamarr documentary

Who's seen it? The reviews have been spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 153July 11, 2018 10:15 AM

It’s Hedley!

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2017 9:10 PM

More details, please. I'd love to see it. I hope it doesn't get too bogged down in specs for sonar. Darwin Porter said she slept with Hitler and JFK.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2017 9:25 PM

Fuck Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2017 9:33 PM

It’s in very limited release currently but may, if the numbers work go into broader release. Someone is going to write a great screen play about her sometime but who is beautiful enough to play her?

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2017 1:11 AM

I find her fascinating and can't wait to see this documentary. It's really unbelievable that her contribution to the invention of wifi didn't become public knowledge until after her death. And I do wonder if she was really the inventor or if composer George Antheil, who shared the patent with her, really did all of the smart work.

It also seems unbelievable that Hedy's intelligence never seemed to be talked about in her interviews or in interviews with any of her chatty Hollywood colleagues. I wonder if Judy or Lana realized how smart she was? Hedy doesn't come off as terribly bright in the few TV interviews she did or on her What's My Line? appearances.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2017 1:46 AM

R4, Catherine Zeta-Jones. Now and forever.

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2017 1:47 AM

Well, R5, she wasn’t in the legitimate theater.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2017 1:48 AM

r4 delusional

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2017 1:50 AM

Bitch stole that idea like she did eye-drops at Eckerd's.

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2017 2:02 AM

for r1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2017 4:24 AM

R5 It was known. Probably more among geeks than the mainstream. Cell phones didn't become popular until the 90s but the technology was in use for other things.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2017 4:30 AM

R2 I believe the JFK story but she didn’t sleep with Hitler that was just a hack writer’s story to sell books. I’m not sure that Hitler even met her, beyond that he liked blondes. If the author would have said she slept with Mussolini that might have made more sense as he definitely had a thing for her.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2017 12:17 PM

Well, r11, when I question whether the public was aware of Hedy's contribution I mean it surprises me that there were never any articles written about Hedy's supposed genius either during her the height of her career or after.....just as a publicity angle, if for no other reason. In her few TV interviews in the 60s/70s it never came up. I don't think it was even mentioned in reports when she was arrested for shoplifting.

Just seems odd. Like it was kept a secret from her Hollywood colleagues.

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2017 1:46 PM

r6 Thank you for recommending me, but I believe I could only do justice to the parts of the story that deal with her life up to age 30..

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2017 3:30 PM

R11 Dorothy Kilgallen described Hedy Lamarr’s as being really two people, the beautiful seductress but also the humorless, prosaic personality that resonated beneath. Hedy was a mystery to anyone who knew her including her children.

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2017 4:06 PM

r15

If anyone would know about being two faced and presented a phoney side to the world, you'd be it

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2017 7:05 PM

[quote]If anyone would know about being two faced and presented a phoney side to the world, you'd be it

And neither of those faces has a chin!

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2017 8:05 PM

I went out a few times with a guy who was her majordomo(?) while living in Atlanta. He was on vacation,and we met at a bar called Blakes,wich was right across the street from my apartment. When he first started telling me about Hedy,I confess I didnt really believe him,until he pulled out a gold cigarette case set with rubies and diamonds engraved to her from Orson Welles ! He said she had tons of money but was cheap as shit,that she saved everything,almost to the point of hoarding,that she had jewelry worth a few million easily but always wore cheap costume crap,and that her house,while nice,was rather modest for her money. He also said she rarely talked about her golden years,she supposedly said the past is just that,the past. In fact,he was the first one who had mentioned how smart she was,wich I hadnt heard before. I wish I could remember his name,he was a very nice guy but somewhat older than me. We spent a few lovely times together then I never saw him again.

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2017 8:41 PM

What brought Hedy to Atlanta, r18? One of her marriages? That must have been over 35 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2017 8:46 PM

No R19,her majordomo was in Atlanta on vacation. Sorry,Hemmingway Im not.

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2017 9:27 PM

Hedy Lamar invented Wifi (sort of).

[quote] As described in unprecedented detail by the American journalist and historian Richard Rhodes in his new book, Hedy's Folly, Lamarr and her business partner, the composer George Antheil, were awarded a patent in 1942 for a "secret communication system". It was meant for radio-guided torpedoes, and the pair gave to the US Navy. It languished in their files for decades before eventually becoming a constituent part of GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2017 10:25 PM

If Hedy was awarded the patent in 1942, then she must have been working on it when she made Ziegfeld Girl in 1941.

Judy Garland told so many wonderful and perceptive anecdotes about her costars at MGM. Did she ever talk about Hedy? I know she famously said that Lana Turner was like "a beautiful vase."

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2017 10:44 PM

Wasn't Hedy the golden age star who said it's easy to be beautiful -- you just stand there and look stupid?

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2017 10:50 PM

[quote]Wasn't Hedy the golden age star who said it's easy to be beautiful -- you just stand there and look stupid?

Well, if it wasn't it should have been.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2017 10:56 PM

She clearly appears to be visualizing wifi in r24's photo!

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2017 11:12 PM

[quote]Wasn't Hedy the golden age star who said it's easy to be beautiful -- you just stand there and look stupid?

Well, if she said that she must not be THAT much of a genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2017 11:19 PM

I think it actually was; “Any girl can look glamorous, all she has to do is stand still and look stupid”.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2017 1:42 AM

[quote]I think it actually was; “Any girl can look glamorous, all she has to do is stand still and look stupid”.

Well, the bovine Miss Dunham STILL sure as hell proves THAT not to be true.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2017 2:25 AM

[quote]Cell phones didn't become popular until the 90s but the technology was in use for other things.

Frequency hopping, and the related spread spectrum technique, has always had major applications for covert and secure military communication. IIRC Hedy's invention was first used to control torpedoes without risk of enemy interference.

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2017 3:04 AM

How odd it is to see all of the adulation for Hedy. I remember that she was quite the scandal back when I was a kid: the shoplifting, the book Ecstasy and Me, her marriages, etc. It looks like she is going to end up being one of the most remembered people of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2017 5:21 PM

Still gorgeous at age 55.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2017 2:35 AM

This thread is gayer than Liberace's asshole.

by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2017 2:41 AM

And about to get gayer....

[quote]Judy Garland told so many wonderful and perceptive anecdotes about her costars at MGM. Did she ever talk about Hedy? I know she famously said that Lana Turner was like "a beautiful vase."

No, Artie Shaw said that about Lana, not Judy. Judy was jealous of Lana's beauty, but really liked her a lot. I think Judy found her transparent and trustworthy, while not much of a threat in the talent department.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2017 2:51 AM

Re the R31 clip, was she tanned or was that her natural skin color?

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2017 4:49 PM

[QUOTE]Darwin Porter said she slept with Hitler and JFK.

Darwin Porter also claimed that Paul Newman tried to get his own son to fuck him and that was one biggie that led to Scott Newman's suicide.

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2017 5:08 PM

R19

I thought that LaMarr had lived in Winter Park, Florida for decades before her death.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2017 5:11 PM

R2, R35, Darwin Porter writes historical novels-- fiction set in Hollywood's past, disguised as biography. Don't believe anything he claims as fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2017 5:34 PM

R34, she was very fair and had what would be classified as porcelain skin.

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2017 9:03 PM

I don't think she looks very good at all in the link at r31 in 1969. I guess she's in her late 50s there.

I would go as far as to say she's the first Hollywood star of the Golden Age who truly had some damaging plastic surgery, almost as bad as what we see today. She had very delicate features that really couldn't withstand the surgery.

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2017 10:10 PM

June Allyson talked about Hedy in one of those MGM documentaries - was it When The Lion Roars? June said she wasn't a star like her and the rule was you didn't speak to her unless she spoke to you first.

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2017 2:02 PM

R40 Hedy was actually very nice when she first arrived in Hollywood. I think she became extremely frustrated with herself and her career as time went along. June also said that she would find herself just staring at Hedy’s profile as it was so perfect. She like many people from that era thought Hedy was the most beautiful woman that they had ever seen. She was In the movie “The Bellboy and the Princess” with Hedy, which was Hedy’s last movie for MGM. Around this time in her career Hedy was referred to as “Headache Lamarr”.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2017 2:16 PM

Wow, I'd love to see the doc, but I guess I'll have to torrent it. I'm not giving Susan Sarandon a dime.

by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2017 2:18 PM

Speaking of Sarandon, Hedy's life would be perfect subject matter for Ryan Murphy to fuck up in a TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 43December 3, 2017 2:20 PM

Her bad plastic surgery started in 1974.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2017 2:50 PM

Actually, the plastic surgery started in the mid-1950s. Check out her appearance on What's My Line?

By 1974 it was at its worst. That is, until the final surgery at the end of the 1970s which was so bad, she bever made another public appearance.

by Anonymousreply 45December 3, 2017 4:13 PM

Among other things, Hedy was famous for her center part hairdo which was not popular in the 1930s until she appeared. Joan Bennett, who'd been a boring blonde ingenue in the 1930s, dyed her hair brunette and center-parted it in the 1940s and it revitalized her career as a noir femme fatale.

Our dear Joan Crawford attempted the same feat in Ice Follies of 1939 but was less successful.

by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2017 4:23 PM

Rita Hayworth had a middle part hairdo transitioning from her Latina long hair to her side-part of the early 1940s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2017 9:58 AM

Plenty of actresses like Hayworth and Myrna Loy had center part hair styles before Hedy arrived. It was popularized by Gloria Swanson in the late 1920s, and Hedy's look was really just a variant where she didn't pin her hair back like Swanson and Del Rio and others had.

Even then she wasn't a trailblazer, because Vivian Leigh had been wearing her hair parted in the middle and loose since 1936.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2017 10:12 AM

R35, Darwin Porter said that Marlon Brando fucked his pet racoon, Lana Turner had a threeway with Frank Sinatra and Louise Beavers, Shirley Temple was actually a,male midget , and Maria Montez was born Melvin Fuddrucker in Boise.

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2017 10:58 AM

A Tribute to the Center Part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2017 11:11 AM

Joan Crawford once said she turned down a role because "it was about a girl who stands around and does nothing. I told them to give it to Hedy Lamarr - she'd be great in it!"

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2017 11:45 AM

Hedy and George Montgomery dated for quite a while, then he began dating and married Dinah Shore.

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2017 11:57 AM

R49, He also wrote that Merv Griffin and Frank Sinatra fucked.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2017 11:58 AM

[quote] Plenty of actresses like Hayworth and Myrna Loy had center part hair styles before Hedy arrived.

Well. for that matter...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2017 12:04 PM

Well, my goodness! I never said Hedy INVENTED the center part. Only that she popularized it at the end of the 1930s after it had fell out of favor for Hollywood glamour girls earlier in that decade. For whatever reasons it was considered such a distinctive look, Cole Porter even wrote a song about the phenomena in "Let's Not Talk About Love":.

Let's speak of Lamarr, That Hedy so fair; Why does she let Joan Bennett Wear her old hair?

And for that matter, Jane Darwell sported a center part throughout the 1930s but no one was copying her.

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2017 1:49 PM

In the photo collage at R50, Hedy, Ava and Gene are the ones that REALLY stand out.

by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2017 3:05 PM

I invented the center part in 1910. It was a code--meant that a girl would spread. If you let a few wisps of hair loose, in the part area, that meant you had a big bush. Gals went nuts over that.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2017 7:01 PM

R49, he also wrote that most of the munchkins in Wizard were the out-of-wedlock kids of Wally Beery; Walter Brennan gave great gum jobs, and passed along his tips to Nancy (Davis) Reagan, who in turn tutored Ron, Jr. ("The secret is in the tongue!"); and John Wayne was a pass-around bottom.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2017 7:34 PM

[quote]I never said Hedy INVENTED the center part.

The docu does, though. It even showed old pictures from before Hedy arrived in Hollywood as examples of Hedy's "influence"! Unless she also invented a time machine, that was just a plain lie.

That picture R50 linked to was more interesting than "Bombshell." Hell, this whole thread is more interesting. We should make our own documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2017 11:13 PM

If the doc is wrong about THAT, I'd say it's pretty much discredited. It was really Lana who invented frequency hopping, while she was doing the Lindy Hop.

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2017 11:24 PM

Funny, R60.

The thing is, it was really convincing as far as her frequency hopping invention, so why did it then lie about something so stupid as her hair?

by Anonymousreply 61December 4, 2017 11:26 PM

Maybe it meant that nobody could wear a center part like Hedy. Based on R50, I think that might be true.

by Anonymousreply 62December 4, 2017 11:43 PM

[quote]To Joan: it's really not becoming to you, dear.

Joan, it would be of tremendous benefit for you to advance to 5:50 of this tutorial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 5, 2017 12:06 AM

I read in a memoir that Ms Lamar was a kleptomaniac. This was the reason she became isolated, she left the party with the hosts personal items.

by Anonymousreply 64December 5, 2017 12:14 AM

So what's a few tchochkes here and there?

by Anonymousreply 65December 5, 2017 12:17 AM

R59 Hedy did have an influence on fashion and hairstyles.. A lot of actresses tried dyeing their hair coal black like Hedy’s after Algiers but there was a famous hairstylist at MGM who actually came up with the look, Sydney Guliaroff. She like Jennifer Aniston and Farrah Fawcett were the ones who got the credit for their hairstylists creation.

by Anonymousreply 66December 5, 2017 12:22 AM

[quote]I read in a memoir that Ms Lamar was a kleptomaniac.

Maybe she was just a garden variety narcissist.

I read somewhere, when asked why she shoplifted, she said something along the lines of:

" I did so much to help during the war and now everyone has forgotten about me so they owe me ".

by Anonymousreply 67December 5, 2017 12:23 AM

Painting Hedy as a role model for young women has it’s drawbacks when you look at her entire life. She sure has her virtues but she has a lot of big negatives too. Hedy was a tremendously fascinating complicated person. Hedy might be better shown to young people as a cautionary tale of no matter how gifted you are by god’s gifts they may not in themselves make for a happy life.

by Anonymousreply 68December 5, 2017 12:29 AM

R67, makes sense to me.

There is a 30s movie called "Trade Winds," with Joan Bennett, who was then very blonde. Not long into the film, her character needs to disguise herself, so gets her hair dyed black. As she is revealed to herself and us, in the salon mirror, voila'-- Hedy's second cousin, complete with center part. Joan stayed that way and, appropriately, did some great noirs.

by Anonymousreply 69December 5, 2017 12:34 AM

Joan Bennett was pretty much the only actress who specifically emulated Hedy, wasn't she? Well, I'd bet there were some B-movie actresses who did too, but otherwise I don't think Hedy really started a trend in Hollywood. Amongst everyday women, sure, but not other actresses. The studios wouldn't have let their A-listers look like copycats.

by Anonymousreply 70December 5, 2017 12:45 AM

R70, Mervyn LeRoy discovery Inez Cooper was brought to MGM and groomed to look like Hedy Lamarr to keep their mercurial star in check. Whenever Hedy refused a part, MGM would leak word to Hedda Hopper that Inez was being considered for the role. That got Hedy to reconsider very quickly and Inez was never given leading lady parts at MGM. Her greatest successes were at Poverty Row pictures like Flight to Nowhere, 'Neath Canadian Skies, North of the Border, and Lady Chaser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 5, 2017 2:02 AM

Joan Crawford definitely copied Hedy's center part in that Ice Follies film made in 1939, the same year that Hedy became a sensation in Algiers. But I think the point about the hairdo was not about who wore it first but that it was considered an integral part of her very symmetrical beauty (Hedy's, not Joan's!).

And Paramount obviously modeled Dorothy Lamour on MGM's Hedy, as even her name (and center part) attested.

I saw the film tonight and thought it was wonderful. Far more depth than the usual star doc and very artfully made with great period footage adding to the real home movies of Hedy's childhood and early years in Vienna. What an incredibly complex woman, flaws and all, who was truly nothing like her screen image. You should all go see it!

by Anonymousreply 72December 5, 2017 2:37 AM

Joan and Hedy were good palsies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 5, 2017 2:49 AM

R73, The blonde on the left Joan Bennett, btw.

by Anonymousreply 74December 5, 2017 2:52 AM

*is*

by Anonymousreply 75December 5, 2017 2:54 AM

R73, I think the blonde on the left is in fact Joan Bennett!

by Anonymousreply 76December 5, 2017 3:04 AM

Robert Lantz was Hedy’s agent and had known her since she was 16. I think his thoughts about her in the linked documentary starting at the 41 minute mark are probably very on point as to how she was and what obsticules she faced in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 5, 2017 5:01 PM

Is there a version of that in English, r77?

by Anonymousreply 78December 5, 2017 5:38 PM

R79 I wish but at least half of it is in English.

by Anonymousreply 79December 5, 2017 5:41 PM

Does it eventually revert to English? I just watched the first 5 minutes and then sadly gave up.

by Anonymousreply 80December 5, 2017 5:54 PM

R80 it’s interment, which is why I said to jump ahead to minute 41 but large parts of it are in English.

by Anonymousreply 81December 5, 2017 5:57 PM

I haven't seen Ice Follies of 1939 yet but glancing at the Joan Crawford fanpage it looks like her hair is parted on the side and still red. This is supposedly a Technicolor shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 5, 2017 5:59 PM

Hmm, okay here it's darker and parted down the middle. Crazy. Wonder if they realized it didn't look great on Joan and changed it up in later scenes?

I've got to see this movie if for no other reason than Lew Ayers in tights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 5, 2017 6:01 PM

As most here know, Ice Follies is the one that we see Joan lacing up for in her dressing room at the start of MD. Followed be a close up of her smiling grimly and saying, "Let's do it! "

Lew Ayres was married to Ginger Rogers in the 30s. Imagine their bedroom calisthenics. Ginger also took Stewart's cherry.

by Anonymousreply 84December 5, 2017 6:45 PM

1939: With newly arrived Hedy, Lana and Greer on the MGM lot, it's no wonder Joan, Garbo and Norma got out of there within the next couple of years. The lipstick was on the dressing room mirror.

by Anonymousreply 85December 5, 2017 8:42 PM

R72 actually Lamour preceded Hedy at Parmount by a few years, so if anything MGM borrowed from Dorothy with the look and name.

by Anonymousreply 86December 5, 2017 9:24 PM

Mayer had had a crush on the tragic, late Barbara LaMarr. That's how Hedy got that name.

by Anonymousreply 87December 5, 2017 10:20 PM

The documentary said it was because of Mayer's wife whose favorite actress was Barbara LaMarr.

THIS DOCUMENTARY IS A HOUSE OF LIES

by Anonymousreply 88December 5, 2017 10:23 PM

[quote]Lew Ayres was married to Ginger Rogers in the 30s. Imagine their bedroom calisthenics. Ginger also took Stewart's cherry.

I'm not joking: this thread is a better documentary than BOMBSHELL was.

Lew Ayers was so fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 89December 5, 2017 10:24 PM

r88, what are the lies? I quite enjoyed this film.

by Anonymousreply 90December 6, 2017 1:09 AM

R80 it looks like the German documentary becomes mostly English after 17:25

by Anonymousreply 91December 6, 2017 9:28 PM

[quote]we see Joan lacing up for in her dressing room at the start of MD. Followed be a close up of her smiling grimly and saying, "Let's do it! "

The line is "let's go".

If you CAN'T do something right, don't do it at all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 6, 2017 11:44 PM

Bumping for Inventrix Hedy!

Go see this documentary...you won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 93December 11, 2017 10:38 PM

i just watched the documentary (it's on streaming sites). It's fantastic. My god, what a woman! The doc even says that Lamarr told her plastic surgeons in the 50s how to cut and where to hide the scars (behind the ears, for exemple). They had never thought about that before, and that's the technique still used today. Oh, and she also tried to invent solid, portable, coca cola cubes to dissolve in water. And she looked amazing untile the end of the 60s. The home movies of her last years, with the last tragic plastic surgeries, are very sad. I hope they'll do a movie about her, she really had an incredible life.

by Anonymousreply 94January 17, 2018 12:33 AM

Apparently Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones is looking to play Hedy in a bio pic.

by Anonymousreply 95January 17, 2018 2:46 AM

R92, but the SUBTEXT was "let's do it."

R89, yes, Lew was. I think he and Jane Wyman had an affair while filming "Johnny Belinda " and that led to the breakup with Ronnie.

Lew was a conscientious objector during WW2 and that may have hurt his career. He did serve valiantly as a medic. Very dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2018 5:19 AM

Lew was married to Ginger from 1934-1940. They had separated some time before the divorce, but I like to think that Lew's fucking greatly contributed to Ginger's brilliant dancing with Fred.

by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2018 5:29 AM

A very interesting article about how reclusive Hedy became toward the end of her life. Apparently, she was terrified of anyone seeing her when she was old and no longer beautiful. Perhaps being known for being spectacular looking is not all that great afterall?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 21, 2018 1:24 PM

I know nearly nothing about her, but when I first moved to Orlando she was living in a small condo in the same development I was renting.

by Anonymousreply 99March 21, 2018 2:32 PM

I think all this nonsense about how she was a brilliant inventor is just Hollywood lore ginned up to a ridiculous extreme. She was a great beauty. Isn’t that enough? Do we also have to make her into Madame Curie?

by Anonymousreply 100March 21, 2018 2:56 PM

Well if it is just Hollywood lore, The Sun Sentinel in Orlando sure bought into it. They did a long piece about her work back around 1992 when I first moved there. I think it is true,

by Anonymousreply 101March 21, 2018 3:37 PM

LOVED this documentary when it first appeared!!

I'm very disappointed that it hasn't got more attention. I guess it wasn't nominated for an Oscar this year....or would it be eligible next year?

by Anonymousreply 102March 21, 2018 3:49 PM

R102 It was eligible this year so no. I don’t know about the quality of the documentary but the source material was about as good as you are every going to get. What a fascinating person she was, I can’t think of anyone else in Hollywood who was in her league other than maybe Orson Welles for a draw dropping life.

by Anonymousreply 103March 21, 2018 3:59 PM

R100 Yes, Hedy was a great beauty but women are more than just their outward appearance; you can be both gorgeous and a genius. I think that is point of this documentary and that women can achieve in science if given a chance.

by Anonymousreply 104March 21, 2018 4:27 PM

You'd think photographers would have hounded her every time she stepped outside just as they did Garbo.

by Anonymousreply 105March 21, 2018 4:49 PM

I think the documentary stands on its own as great film making, regardless of the brilliant subject matter. It's shocking that this very unique Hollywood story was neglected by the Academy. Must every awarded doc be related to the Holocaust or Africa?

by Anonymousreply 106March 21, 2018 8:46 PM

R99 "How on earth did she end up in Altamonte Springs. .."

Just lucky, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 107March 21, 2018 10:02 PM

How is one supposed to view this? Its impossible to find in theatres and unavailable to stream. Film makers need to be aware that the business side of f lm making is important if one wants to be taken seriously

by Anonymousreply 108March 22, 2018 1:30 AM

The center part in the hair was made famous by "The First lady Of The Screen" Norma Shearer in the mid 1930s especially with her role as Juliet in 1936's "Romeo and Juliet".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 22, 2018 3:50 AM

Middle aged Norma Sheara and Leslie Howard as Romeo and Juliet with elderly John Barrymore as Mercutio.! Directed by George Cukor! Brilliant alternate universe Art!

by Anonymousreply 110March 22, 2018 4:33 AM

Yes, but it had the sublime Edna May Oliver as the Nurse!

by Anonymousreply 111March 22, 2018 4:39 AM

Norma regardless of her age is sublime in the ball scene. If you watch closely Norma is perfection but one of the muses makes a stumble. "Madame, your mother craves a word with you". [R110] Back to the middle part, Norma made this the rage in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 112March 22, 2018 8:02 AM

Lew Ayers and Jimmy Stewart in their “Ice Follies” glory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 22, 2018 10:26 AM

Was it the popularity of the Fox's Sonja Henie musicals that caused MGM to think they could duplicate their success with this trash fest?

Joan Crawford was no Sonja Henie.

by Anonymousreply 114March 22, 2018 1:01 PM

R108 the documentary will be broadcast in May on PBS but you are right the opportunity to see it is very limited and even when it is available it is for just one showing. The marketing of it has been kind of strange given how good the reviews have been. Maybe they should have marketed it more about how scandalous Hedy was to get viewers into the theaters instead of her genius?

by Anonymousreply 115March 22, 2018 1:16 PM

BUMP. Bombshell is being broadcast tonight on your local PBS station and it is well worth watching. What a fascinating person Hedy was and this documentary can only tell the half of it.

by Anonymousreply 116May 18, 2018 12:24 PM

its very good

she was a fascinating woman. her later obsession with face lifts was unfortunate, quite the inventor, she was sooper smart

by Anonymousreply 117May 18, 2018 12:35 PM

Tall, smart and beautiful. What a package!

by Anonymousreply 118May 18, 2018 2:27 PM

The documentary is being shown tonight on PBS American Masters @ 9 pm our time. Check your local pbs listings.

Looking forward to this.

by Anonymousreply 119May 18, 2018 2:37 PM

DVRing this from the NYC PBS station.

I’m amazed at what a genius she was—bombshell actress and inventor of technologies that led to WiFi and Bluetooth.

by Anonymousreply 120May 18, 2018 3:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up everyone! I’ve been wanting to see this!

by Anonymousreply 121May 18, 2018 5:14 PM

Will the Saphic ladies touch themselves as they watch tonight?

by Anonymousreply 122May 18, 2018 5:25 PM

its on pbs now, pst.

goood

by Anonymousreply 123May 19, 2018 4:12 AM

It's viewable on youtube on one of the russky channels.

by Anonymousreply 124May 19, 2018 4:16 AM

PBS Censored the nudity,,,it was really pretty tame ny today’s standards but they censored anyway, Somehow Censoring Hedy was probably appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 125May 19, 2018 7:11 AM

Shame on them! Puritan Bias System.

by Anonymousreply 126May 19, 2018 7:53 AM

R94, Great post! Documentary was on tonight on PBS. This woman had beauty,brains,class and charm. I only knew before watching that she (but not really her) wrote Estacy and Me based on her early film. She also had 3 children, 2 who are in documentary, was Jewish and was a Scorpio. Best program for Hollywood budds to watch as unlike Liz, Ava, Judy and Barbara very little attention to her life and achievements.

by Anonymousreply 127May 19, 2018 7:55 AM

I thought those audio recordings were remarkable, especially the one at the end, about persevering.

by Anonymousreply 128May 19, 2018 8:18 AM

Heads up. This doc was just added to Netflix. Just watched it. She had a fascinating life but a sad end. I guess we all do eventually of we live long enough.

R100. Watch the doc. They go into great detail in proving the authenticity of her patent for signal hopping. There is a ton of documentation.

by Anonymousreply 129June 1, 2018 4:56 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 130June 2, 2018 2:15 AM

Hey, I'm the OP of this thread and I'm so glad to see the film is getting some more attention through PBS and Netflix.

Do yourself a favor and have a look! I don't understand how this little gem was overlooked at Oscar time.

by Anonymousreply 131June 2, 2018 2:20 AM

Sarandon 's involvement?

by Anonymousreply 132June 2, 2018 2:51 AM

Loved this documentary. She was a multi-talented genius. I had no idea

by Anonymousreply 133June 2, 2018 2:57 AM

One of her husbands was actor John Loder, who played Bette Davis' fiance, Elliot Livingston, in Now, Voyager.

by Anonymousreply 134June 2, 2018 1:23 PM

R15, At least God gave Hedy a chin, Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 135June 2, 2018 1:25 PM

Susan Sarandon was one of the executive producers on the documentary but I think she came on board after the film was completed.

by Anonymousreply 136June 2, 2018 1:30 PM

Just finished watching. Really liked it. They made some noise about Hedy speaking no English when she left Austria, but then kind of dropped the issue. I think it's a sign of her intelligence that she seemingly picked up relatively accent-free English fairly rapidly.

by Anonymousreply 137June 3, 2018 11:25 PM

Dorothy Kilgallen died quite young - a drunk and a pill popper.

by Anonymousreply 138June 4, 2018 12:08 AM

Dottie was murdered by the CIA. She knew too much about JFK's murder.

by Anonymousreply 139June 4, 2018 4:03 AM

Just caught this on Netflix. Fascinating documentary on a complex, fascinating woman. The invention portion was really interesting, and it was also touching that someone who didn’t want to be defined by her looks seemed to end up trapped by them anyway. (The plastic surgeries were sad.) Her childrens’ comments were fair and empathetic. Her daughter Denise was lovely in her day, and was once married to hot ballplayer (and later author) Larry Colton.

by Anonymousreply 140June 12, 2018 8:37 PM

Just watched this. It's really good.

by Anonymousreply 141July 5, 2018 3:43 AM

I watched it last night. Fascinating. A must-see for any fans old schoo Hollywood. She was absolutely brilliant and gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 142July 5, 2018 5:38 AM

Stunning even in candid pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 6, 2018 2:02 AM

omg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 6, 2018 3:23 AM

The documentary did not go not it but she built her own chicken coops to house ducks and chickens in Beverly Hills. She had 2 adult men kill them selves when she broke up wth them before she was 16. She poured water over Louis B. Mayer’s head when she thought he was getting to worked up during contract negotiations. She liked to go thru the drive thru lane when she was at her peak in Hollywood. People did not understand why she was so frequently seen driving by herself when she was considered the most beautiful women n the world. She always kept her doll from childhood with her. I think the quirky things about her make her even more interesting and she had a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 145July 7, 2018 1:54 AM

Gorgeous in the highly un-PC "Lady of the Tropics."

by Anonymousreply 146July 7, 2018 4:46 AM

I always thought it was funny that at the start of "Samson and Delilah" she is the tomboy of her family, and Samson wants to marry her pretty blonde sister, played by--Angela Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 147July 7, 2018 4:55 AM

There was also a second shoplifting arrest in the early 1990s that (if memory serves) the documentary didn’t mention.

A fascinating woman who lived an amazing life.

by Anonymousreply 148July 7, 2018 4:57 PM

I watched this last night and thought it was pretty interesting. I did find the narrative that she was "too beautiful" to be a "scientist" or whatever, to be pretty overblown after awhile. Geeze, if she wanted to be a scientist sooooo badly maybe she should have enrolled in a university instead of making her way to Hollywood. It's not like only ugly women were allowed to have an education, and there were female scientists back then, so...

by Anonymousreply 149July 9, 2018 6:41 PM

R149 They diminished her story by being too respectful of her. She was way more interesting than as presented in the documentary as you have to include the warts and all to telll a balanced story. She reported thefts of jewelry multiple times-trying to collect insurance money I suppose-and mysteriously the jewels would turn up if the investigation wasn’t going well. She accused a former much younger boyfriend of rape, that was completely false. She was not always a very pleasant person and did not want movie extras to speak with her during filming. She was known as Hedachy Lamarr on the sets and had a horrible explosive temper, which probably explains why film roles did not come her way as she lost her beauty.

by Anonymousreply 150July 10, 2018 12:02 PM

Her plastic surgery was horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 151July 10, 2018 12:12 PM

R149, I was at a festival screening and asked the director what kind of education Lamarr had received. Hedwig Kiesler had basically married right out of high school, married a creepy wealthy industrialist while still a teenager(she ran away from him a few years later and kept going until she was out of Nazi territory). The director didn't know if high education was available to Jewish girls in late-thirties Austria, whether any decent colleges admitted women or Jews, or whether the Kiesler family would have allowed her to go if she had.

Since it's a question that can't be answered with a ten-second google search I don't know if it was possible for someone like Hedy Lamarr to go to college or study engineering, but it's a fact that higher education isn't available to everyone. It never has been.

by Anonymousreply 152July 10, 2018 11:48 PM

Gives a good performance as a "career girl" in "H. M. Pulham, Esq."

by Anonymousreply 153July 11, 2018 10:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!