Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alan Bates

One of the greatest actors who ever lived, totally gorgeous and gay as a tractor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370February 14, 2019 5:49 AM

Tractors are gay?

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2017 8:45 PM

What is gay about a tractor exactly?

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2017 8:46 PM

I loved him in An Unmarried Woman. He and Jill Clayburgh were perfection together. Wasn't his caregiver Joanna Petit from The Group?

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2017 8:50 PM

That intensely homoerotic nude wrestling scene with Oliver Reed in "Women In Love" was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2017 8:54 PM

He was definitely a hot actor. And older he became a hot bearded DILF.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2017 8:55 PM

How was Nijinsky? I've never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2017 9:18 PM

He is so great in BUTLEY (playing a gay character).

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2017 9:22 PM

He's incredible in Alan Bennett's AN ENGLISHMAN ABROAD, directed by John Schlesinger. The true story of Coral Browne's meeting with gay spy Guy Burgess in Russia in the 50s. Bates plays Burgess brilliantly.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2017 9:39 PM

R6

'Nijinsky' was OK as a film. Alan Bates was fine but the skinny dweeb playing Nijinsky had the personality of a dishrag and there was a woman imposed in the movie was rather annoying.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2017 10:10 PM

I still want to know how is a tractor gay?

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2017 10:11 PM

I wish his one Oscar-nominated performance, "The Fixer," were available--I love the novel and have never been able to find a way to see the film.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2017 10:49 PM

I liked this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2017 11:09 PM

I liked him in The Rose. Sorry, he doesn’t strike me as gay.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2017 11:16 PM

With the right equipment, it can also act as a plow, r10.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2017 11:16 PM

R11

That movie seemed to be important 4 decades ago.

But it seems rather boring to me now. And it seems faintly odd that the Jewish Frankenheimer hired all these Anglo actors to appear in what was essentially a Frankenheimer home movie.

IMHO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2017 11:46 PM

I agree with R4. Alan Bates was incredibly hot, and got hotter as he grew older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2017 11:56 PM

I liked him in The King of Hearts.!i was so young and naive I had no idea he was gay (or what that even meant) and no idea the film was about mental Illness

Was it? Pardon me for my ignorance but I'm a straight woman who self- identifies here with much trepidation

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2017 12:02 AM

Alpha male Oliver Reed was so secure in his masculinity not to have problems with doing the homoerotic firelit wrestling scene with the gay Alan Bates. I bet writer/producer Larry Kramer still JOs to it if he's still able to get it up..

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2017 12:04 AM

In The Shout (1978) Alan Bates plays a mysterious traveler who enters lives of a married couple played by John Hurt and Susanna York. The film is mesmerizing and he is gorgeous and magnetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2017 12:17 AM

Thanks, R19. I was not familiar with that one.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2017 12:19 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2017 12:20 AM

Oh, ok, thank you R14.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2017 12:21 AM

Bates was Peter Wyndgare's live in lover at one time. Peter was the original George Michael. PW got caught in a sexual act in a bathroom in The UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2017 12:29 AM

Peter Wyngarde is perfectly cast as the "ghost" in THE INNOCENTS (61).

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2017 12:32 AM

Was he English or Welsh?

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2017 12:42 AM

One of my most cherished theatrical memories is seeing him and Eileen Atkins at the Promenade from the second row center like they were performing for me in a living room.

Stupid me as a boy would pass in front of the Morosco seeing the black and white photos of Butley but having no idea what the hell that was. Did the same thing with Home.

Can you imagine?

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2017 12:48 AM

He was great in The Go Between.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2017 1:14 AM

Donald Spoto's biography of Bates, which goes into all his gay relationships, had the official backing and approval of his family, which is refreshing. Most of the gay Hollywood stars who have passed away almost always leave behind family who vociferously deny their true nature and seem to go to great lengths to conceal it.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2017 9:10 AM

There's a bit in the Spoto biography where he writes about Bates meeting Rock Hudson at a "men only" party in the Hollywood Hills. "There was, Alan said later, a strong mutual attraction between them," but as the party went on Bates became more and more inebriated. Rock offered to take him back to his hotel room, but when they got there Alan suddenly became violently sick.

[quote]Rock did the necessary tidying up, set out a bottle of water, ensured that Alan was feeling better, then quietly withdrew without so much as a farewell kiss. Some encounters do not turn out as the principals and the gossips expect.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2017 12:58 PM

BUTLEY is fascinating. Simon Gray never actually makes it clear whether or not Butley and Joey are in a physical relationship. The way they act around each other suggests that they're lovers. So much so that it seems absurd to come to any other conclusion. But there are bits in the play which suggest Butley isn't gay or bisexual at all.

There's a fairly recent interview with Bates on youtube where he talks about the play; and he keeps referring to Joey as Butley's "protege" rather than his boyfriend. According to Donald Spoto's biography of Bates, he always refused to discuss the character's sexuality and may have believed he wasn't gay at all.

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2017 5:37 PM

How many gay characters did he play?

Butley, An Englishman Abroad, We Think the World of You, 102 Blvd Haussmann, that awful one with Sting... any others?

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2017 5:44 PM

[quote]According to Donald Spoto's biography of Bates, he always refused to discuss the character's sexuality and may have believed he wasn't gay at all

He sure had a lot of intense sexual relationships with men. So that should have been a clue.

I think the Spoto biography goes on about the gay way too much. It's a flat book. Mostly facts. I'm re-reading it now - warms up a little when it talks about how one of his sons died in a public bathroom in Tokyo from a heroine overdose.

Googling 'Alan Bates gay' is what brought me to DL back in 2007 - never to leave.

by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2017 5:48 PM

Was he known as "young Master Bates" as a youth?

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2017 5:48 PM

His role in An Unmarried Woman made him a heartthrob in America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2017 5:50 PM

[quote]Was he English or Welsh?

Gurl, why?

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2017 5:51 PM

[quote]I liked him in The Rose. Sorry, he doesn’t strike me as gay.

Who are you apologising to?

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2017 5:53 PM

Why did OP choose that horrid photo of him in a cloth cap - looking gormless?

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2017 5:56 PM

I can't find a clip of him in An Unmarried Woman, but here's the music from the last scene, "Erica leaves Saul."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2017 6:02 PM

How the fuck is a tractor gay?

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2017 6:17 PM

Has anyone read DROPPED NAMES, Frank Langella's memoirs? One of the few people he's warm about is Bates, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2017 6:19 PM

I thought Bates was boyfriend of Olympic Champion John Curry?

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2017 6:23 PM

Take a ride on my tractor, baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2017 6:26 PM

I don't know about totally gorgeous, the hat kind of helps.

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2017 6:27 PM

OP, he's one of my favorite actors. I recently saw "Butley" on the big screen at the Quad and he was mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2017 6:46 PM

He was bi. I am friends with the last mistress he had in life, the one whom he left money to in his will.

The man was a sexual being through and through, but he wasn't just in our camp.

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2017 9:46 PM

Because we are rode hard and put away hot.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2017 9:53 PM

Yes, I think many of us from the 60s and 70s fell in love with him beginning with The King of Hearts a wonderful anti-war film.

Then Women in Love he was great in that as well...the famous scene in addition to the wrestling scene was "the proper Way to eat a Fig in Society". In an interview soon after WIL, he was asked if he was gay and he denied it. Of course now we know at the very least he was bi sexual....the Canadian Olympic ices skater died in his arms.

He was a great actor and a major loss to the performing arts.

Bates

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2017 10:25 PM

Reading his biography - he had major relationships with men and lived with several of them.

I think women were his side dish, not the other way round.

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2017 10:31 PM

R39, OP was confused. The expression is, of course, as gay as a window

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2017 10:36 PM

I thought Butley was a BIG BORE.

Too theatrical for a film.

All shot I one room.

by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2017 10:42 PM

I liked seeing his butt at the end of King of Hearts

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2017 10:43 PM

[quote] I recently saw "Butley" on the big screen at the Quad

Another person who seems to think the world wide web consists of people in New York. I'm guessing The Quad is in New York.

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2017 10:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2017 10:44 PM

King of Hearts was the very first film I saw shown by a film society in college, so it is close to my own heart.

I remember being struck by the beauty of both Alan Bates and Genevieve Bujold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2017 10:59 PM

King Of Hearts is another unwatchable film that seems to being rated here for some bizarro reason.

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2017 11:01 PM

^ r55, your sentence is barely comprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2017 11:03 PM

TRY, R56. It's not too hard to decipher.

by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2017 11:13 PM

I said "barely."

by Anonymousreply 58November 29, 2017 11:14 PM

I love the little arrow, R56.

by Anonymousreply 59November 29, 2017 11:14 PM

I wasn't sure if you knew the numerals, so I added a visual aid.

by Anonymousreply 60November 29, 2017 11:16 PM

High-waisted look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 29, 2017 11:19 PM

From Georgie Girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 29, 2017 11:19 PM

Fleeting full frontal following flop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 29, 2017 11:21 PM

The backside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 29, 2017 11:22 PM

Nice to see a man with a normal body on DL.

by Anonymousreply 65November 29, 2017 11:26 PM

He was with figure skater John Curry at one point. I recently watched his "The Mayor of Casterbridge" on line. I'd seen Ciaran Hinds' rendition, also on line. With Hinds, I thought, there is no hope for you dude, you are just too much of a dimwitted, self-defeating asshole. With Bate, it was an absolutely heartwrenching father / daughter love story where the Mayor finds a connection with the only person who cares about him, his grown daughter whom he deserted when she was a baby. Only to find out - and keep from her - that she's not actually that daughter, but a child his wife had with another man after he'd left. Bates was everything. Pigheaded. Absolutely sure of himself when he shouldn't be. Dumb as a box of rocks. Cunning as a snake. Completely of his time and place. Charming even when he was being ludicrously self-defeating. I have to say Janet Maw, who played the daughter, also did a fantastic job and had a wonderful connection with Bates. He understood that part down to the ground and it's such a weird part - such an unsophisticated man who is his own worst enemy at all times. But damn, I spent every second hoping he'd come out ok in the end.

by Anonymousreply 66November 29, 2017 11:27 PM

About his gayness - it was one of his female longtime friends or companions (not too sexual from what I could derive), who described being on a film set with him - someplace fantastic like Greece - and deciding to go off together to Crete for a couple of days. All that had transpired between them at that point was dancing a bit in a cafe with the rest of the crew, etc. So, she's all excited. And basically, they go to Crete, they stay in a little room and share a bed, he never makes a move and he never gives her the idea that she should make a move, but he doesn't say or explain anything, and a couple in an adjacent bedroom are loudly doing it, and Bates says something about the air conditioning and either turns it on or does something else to block the noise, and returns to sleep.

I guess it was the sixties or seventies. Why would he ask her to a weekend when of course she's thinking they're going to hook up? And when they don't, and are lying in the same bed, why didn't she say, "Dude, what is up? You're gay, is that it?" I find it so weird this happened and they never discussed it.

by Anonymousreply 67November 29, 2017 11:32 PM

R62

It's Georgy not Georgie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 29, 2017 11:32 PM

[quote] And when they don't, and are lying in the same bed, why didn't she say, "Dude, what is up? You're gay, is that it?" I find it so weird this happened and they never discussed it.

It was the 60s. They didn't have the word gay and a British man could be sent to prison for being "queer".

by Anonymousreply 69November 29, 2017 11:34 PM

So he was a twat tease?

by Anonymousreply 70November 29, 2017 11:34 PM

OK, fair point R69. So any idea what he was about with that whole charade?

by Anonymousreply 71November 29, 2017 11:35 PM

[quote]About his gayness - it was one of his female longtime friends or companions (not too sexual from what I could derive), who described being on a film set with him - someplace fantastic like Greece

Zorba the Greek

"Teach me to dance - will you?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 29, 2017 11:39 PM

Thank you, r68. Part of the reason I return to DL is to be put in my place when required.

I haven't seen Georgy Girl in decades. I remember going into it thinking it was a freewheeling hippy movie. It was not.

Only Charlotte Rampling is left now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2017 11:52 PM

Fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 29, 2017 11:53 PM

I never liked Georgy Girl.

by Anonymousreply 75November 29, 2017 11:53 PM

or that awful song.

by Anonymousreply 76November 29, 2017 11:55 PM

I may be creating a false memory, but I think my third-grade sang Georgy Girl in music class.

There are a lot of Alan Bates movies that I have not seen.

Has anyone watched Whistle Down the Wind? It's ranked #10 on this list and I'm curious after reading the synopsis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 29, 2017 11:58 PM

For once, an OP premise that I can totally endorse!

by Anonymousreply 78November 29, 2017 11:59 PM

[quote]Has anyone watched Whistle Down the Wind? It's ranked #10 on this list and I'm curious after reading the synopsis.

It's a sentimental children's film.

by Anonymousreply 79November 30, 2017 12:01 AM

written by Hayley Mills's mother.

by Anonymousreply 80November 30, 2017 12:02 AM

I'll probably pass then.

What about The Running Man? It's directed by Carol Reed and stars Laurence Harvey and Lee Remick.

by Anonymousreply 81November 30, 2017 12:10 AM

Strangely, he reminds me of John Gavin in this gif.

But without the woodenness that mires down Gavin's hotness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 30, 2017 12:17 AM

And here there's a touch of Javier Bardem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 30, 2017 12:18 AM

Presented without comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 30, 2017 12:20 AM

[quote]Peter Wyngarde is perfectly cast as the "ghost" in THE INNOCENTS (61).

He's a prime example of a guy who is not classically beautiful but STILL radiates major sexual heat. Like Quint is described in "The Innocents", handsome and obscene fits Wyngarde perfectly. He looks like he would have a big dick and know how to use it..

He also had a very hot presence in "Burn Witch, Burn!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 30, 2017 12:24 AM

I agree about the heat, and think that often does NOT involve "classically beautiful."

by Anonymousreply 86November 30, 2017 12:27 AM

For some reason Bates is the kind of guy that when clean shaven doesn't do a thing for me but get some scruff on him and.....

UHNNNNH...fuck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 30, 2017 12:28 AM

Princess Margaret was a huge cunt to him.....

by Anonymousreply 88November 30, 2017 12:31 AM

Not heard his death was from AIDS which is implied in the link at R23, had heard he was a closet case, but what a tormented one! There seems to have been a duality to much of his existence, a long marriage to Victoria Ward and a keenness to present a masculine image while having significant and secret relationships with various effete men, actors Peter Wyngarde and Nickolas Grace and ice skater John Curry ( who died in his arms according to Wiki ). Also the death of his son is listed officially as from an asthma attack but recorded elsewhere as a heroin overdose in a public toilet in Tokyo. It also says at R23 that he abruptly ended a 10 year affair leaving a heartbroken Grace with a curt "It's been very nice to have known you. I'm sure I'll see you around in London." I saw them on stage together in a Simon Gray play in London, 'Life Support' in '97, so I guess they did.

by Anonymousreply 89November 30, 2017 12:34 AM

I can't remember what happened in "Georgy Girl", except that frumpy Lynn Redgrave/Georgy gave him up to marry an old rich fossil played by James Mason. I think she did it partially to be able to keep the custody of the baby girl her gorgeous, heartless girlfriend (Charlotte Rampling) gave up, but being the wife of a rich man seemed like a good thing, too. She gave up the hot guy for the old geezer with money; I thought that was pretty stupid, really.

by Anonymousreply 90November 30, 2017 1:34 AM

She married James Mason strictly so she could keep the baby Rampling threw away. It was clear throughout the film that she had no interest in Mason but lusted after Bates. In the end, motherhood won.

by Anonymousreply 91November 30, 2017 2:26 AM

I am just realizing I have always thought Alan Bates and Oliver Reed were the same person : o

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 30, 2017 2:54 AM

Motherhood over Alan Bate's dick? I still think that's pretty stupid.

by Anonymousreply 93November 30, 2017 2:56 AM

So glad that Butley and An Englishman Abroad were mentioned within the first 10 replies. A while back I watched several of the American Film Theatre adaptations - for filmed theater, several of them were surprisingly good (also enjoyed Losey's Galileo and Frankenheimer's Iceman Cometh), but Butley was one of the best. Bates could be a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 94November 30, 2017 3:05 AM

Princess Margaret Rose was a cunt to everyone she wasn't related to.

by Anonymousreply 95November 30, 2017 6:14 AM

And to some that she was.

by Anonymousreply 96November 30, 2017 6:33 AM

I love 'An Englishman Abroad' without reservation. Schlesinger, Bennett and Bates at their best.

So many scenes and lines stay with me. Bates as Guy Burgess speaks his great lines flawlessly, letting them out naturally in that beautiful lilt, with its easy hint of educated camp.

To a stolid female Russian clerk: "I can't be the first person to remark upon your pronounced resemblance to the late Ernest Bevin. It's extraordinary, you might have been sisters."

To Coral Browne, about 'Hamlet': "I like the look of Laertes. He goes well into tights. Looks like he's got a couple of King Edwards stuffed down there."

To Coral Browne, in and about his borderline squalid Russian flat: "I used to live in Jermyn Street. Tragic, you might think. Well, not really - Jermyn Street was a pig-sty too."

by Anonymousreply 97November 30, 2017 7:18 AM

Hot in specs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 30, 2017 8:02 AM

Look Back In Anger...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 30, 2017 8:04 AM

Gary Oldman and Bates in WE THINK THE WORLD OF YOU. Bates plays an upper class gay man and Oldman his bisexual lover. The cast also includes Liz Smith and Frances Barber.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 30, 2017 8:18 AM

[quote]Peter Wyngarde is perfectly cast as the "ghost" in THE INNOCENTS (61).

[quote]He's a prime example of a guy who is not classically beautiful but STILL radiates major sexual heat

My dear, so true - a man of his times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101November 30, 2017 8:50 AM

and always a pocket square.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 30, 2017 8:51 AM

[quote]Gary Oldman and Bates in WE THINK THE WORLD OF YOU. Bates plays an upper class gay man and Oldman his bisexual lover. The cast also includes Liz Smith and Frances Barber.

another bore of a film.

He made so many bad ones.

He was better as a supporting actor. He couldn't carry a film. He wasn't a STAR.

by Anonymousreply 103November 30, 2017 8:53 AM

This seems to be the only online interview.

He didn't do chat shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 30, 2017 8:59 AM

R103 He wasn't a star because he was a sensitive, accomplished actor who'd the ability to inhabit other peoples lives.

I agree he wasn't classically good looking (with that thick neck) but he radiated a sex appeal at a time when the British were much, much better at sex on film than us.

He arrived at a good time in the pioneering sixties and he appeared in more gay roles than Peter Finch.

by Anonymousreply 105November 30, 2017 9:09 AM

I believe that An Englishman Abroad was filmed in Edinburgh, "standing in" for St. Petersburg.

Thanks, R99. He must have been absolutely irresistible.

by Anonymousreply 106November 30, 2017 9:29 AM

r104 You can see how much love and respect Frank Langella had for him.

by Anonymousreply 107November 30, 2017 11:51 AM

[quote]Alpha male Oliver Reed was so secure in his masculinity not to have problems with doing the homoerotic firelit wrestling scene with the gay Alan Bates. I bet writer/producer Larry Kramer still JOs to it if he's still able to get it up..

Not true, Reed was scared Bates would "overshadow" him. I read two different interviews and he said he was relived to see they were both average . Before hand, they both got drunk before filming.

by Anonymousreply 108November 30, 2017 12:28 PM

I saw him doing BUTLEY on stage and also HAMLET. He seemed to age very quickly. He and Lee Remick are a great couple in THE RUNNING MAN., and he is marvellous in A KIND OF LOVING in 1962, his first major success.

by Anonymousreply 109November 30, 2017 1:06 PM

Wow, 109 posts and not a word about the movie where I fell in love with him..."Far From the Madding Crowd!"

by Anonymousreply 110November 30, 2017 1:22 PM

Glasgow stood in for Moscow for AN ENGLISHMAN ABROAD.

by Anonymousreply 111November 30, 2017 1:29 PM

Gurl, no.

Dundee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 30, 2017 1:36 PM

R108 I read that Reed did a "quick Jodrell" before doing the nude scenes.

Later on I realised that a Jodrell was an English example of rhyming slang.

by Anonymousreply 113November 30, 2017 3:41 PM

r92 Then you must've been REALLY confused during "Women in Love."

by Anonymousreply 114November 30, 2017 3:45 PM

Great actor. Totally gorgeous. And, since we are into agrarian metaphors, bi as a silo.

by Anonymousreply 115November 30, 2017 4:28 PM

R114 I used to get confused by Farley Granger and Stewart Granger.

And as for actresses ... well all women look alike, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 116November 30, 2017 4:35 PM

The scruff does indeed suit him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117November 30, 2017 4:42 PM

I always enjoy seeing Alan Bates and Robert Altman is one of my favorite directors, so Gosford Park should have been sweet heaven for me.

But it's one of my least favorite Altman films - and he did make some stinkers - which has always bothered me. I found it flat and detached from beginning to end.

Can anyone make a case for me giving Gosford Park a second chance? I'm totally game, but in need of inspiration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 30, 2017 4:45 PM

I've only seen Gosford Park once (when it came out) and liked it quite a bit, but I don't know if I could say why now. Sometimes Altman's big ensemble pictures work and sometimes they don't. Others liked A Wedding and I found it completely grating - just way too many characters and actors and not enough compelling stuff for them to do. It starts to seem like Altman by numbers.

by Anonymousreply 119November 30, 2017 5:31 PM

[quote]bi as a silo.

The young woman he slept with in Greece who said, despite her eagerness to sample Bates's dong, he showed absolutely no interest in having sex with her, may beg to differ

by Anonymousreply 120November 30, 2017 7:24 PM

R118 Robert Altman is someone of no interest at all, IMHO. But 'Gosford Park' was a wonderful showcase for English actors written by Julian Fellowes.

What I find interesting is that Fellowes replicated Alan Bates' butler role in 'Gosford' with a replica actor playing replica valet named 'John BATES' in 'Downton. Abbey'.

This HAS to be an in-joke!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 30, 2017 7:46 PM

I tried watching Gosford Park but watching it was like trying to stay awake during a Downton Abbey episode.

by Anonymousreply 122November 30, 2017 7:51 PM

R122 Gosford was a cool, fragmented version of Downton. Downton was a melodramatic, woman's version of Gosford.

by Anonymousreply 123November 30, 2017 9:45 PM

GOSFORD PARK was filled with the gays: Bates, Derek Jacobi, Tom Hollander, Jeremy Northam - then Stephen Fry turns up and ruins the mood - but it is the bliueprint for DOWNTON ABBEY, complete wirh another withering countess role for Dame Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 124December 2, 2017 8:56 AM

I saw Gosford Park in the theater and very much enjoyed it. Seemed quite rich and textured to me. And Northam!

Does anyone know why some people with full lips keep them that way, and others have their lips get thin? Bates had a luscious mouth and it became kind of severe looking. Genetics? Smoking?

by Anonymousreply 125December 2, 2017 9:09 AM

r112 Englishman Abroad was shot in Glasgow substituting for Moscow. The scene with Coral Browne on the bridge is over the River Clyde and the flats where Burgess lived are known as Mossheights.

by Anonymousreply 126December 2, 2017 9:41 AM

I'm sick of this thread now and of him.

He was pretty much the same in every thing he did and having read his biography - he was a rather depressing man who had depressing people around him or made them depressed.

The story of his very sick wife is horrible and what he allowed her to do to his sons.

All of his disappointed male and female lovers.

He was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 127December 2, 2017 10:00 AM

I imagine you must be sick of it, especially after replying multiple times with negative comments.

by Anonymousreply 128December 2, 2017 1:19 PM

Don t knock Downton Abbey. You Bravo watching uneducated kuh ween.

by Anonymousreply 129December 2, 2017 1:35 PM

Love him

by Anonymousreply 130December 2, 2017 1:40 PM

For Alan Bates fans in NYC, the Metrograph is showing "Women in Love" for the next several days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 2, 2017 4:55 PM

He played more gay characters than any other mainstream actor. He did the five you mention R31 as well as 'Nijinski' and the two nude roles.

I ignore any gossip from that hideous, superstitions Catholic muck-raker named Donald Spoto R28 R32 who specialised in ludicrous lies. He is as repellent as that ghastly buck-toothed octogenarian poseur named Cyril Louis Goldbert who took the fanciful name of "Wyngarde" so I'm sorry that Alan Bates may have had a misalliance with them.

PS Dear OP you must be an Englishman to use such a colorful metaphor and R108 my English friend tells me that a "Jodrell" is rhyming slang for masturbation.

PPS By the way I believe that the very interesting, rapidly-ageing pygmy-actor Tom Hollander [R124] identifies as a heterosexual Thatcher-lover conservative.

by Anonymousreply 132December 2, 2017 11:13 PM

[quote]Can anyone make a case for me giving Gosford Park a second chance?

Watch it on DVD with the commentary!

by Anonymousreply 133December 2, 2017 11:15 PM

Who was the actor dumped from Gosford Park?

Was it Jude Law?

He had the main role and they had to bring in dumb-faced, mega-lips Ryan Philippe dribbling when he should have been learning his lines and emoting.

by Anonymousreply 134December 2, 2017 11:19 PM

I loved Gosford Park in the main.

The focus on the Scottish maid, Mary, bugged me a little. I don't like that actress.

& Emily Watson was awful - doing her clitoris voice.

In fact, I hated the way the servant class were made out to be so superior and the artistos all buffoons and idiots.

by Anonymousreply 135December 2, 2017 11:43 PM

All these years and I had no idea he was mostly gay.

I'm going to check out some of his movies now, with a fresh eye and new perspective, particularly his gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 136December 2, 2017 11:43 PM

Well R135 if you hated the way the servant class were made out to be so superior and the artistos buffoons how did you feel about 'Downton'?

The script supervisor had a graph, time chart and stop watch to ensure each character had equal screen time and equal drama regardless of whether they were lovely or stupid.

by Anonymousreply 137December 3, 2017 12:04 AM

[quote]Well [R135] if you hated the way the servant class were made out to be so superior and the artistos buffoons how did you feel about 'Downton'?

I turned it off after 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 138December 3, 2017 12:08 AM

Alan Bates was a mess because he could be.

As someone already said he could use people and then toss them aside and then find others with their tongues hanging out waiting to be used as well.

Incredibly charismatic people are narcissists with no morals because they are not a requirement when dealing with others.

by Anonymousreply 139December 3, 2017 12:34 AM

Oh was he like that, R139? Don't like that kind of person.

by Anonymousreply 140December 3, 2017 12:36 AM

Well you might claim that he's a mess in his private life R139 but he was a gay(-ish) pioneer and he racked up 85 movies and never descended into B-grade U.S. junk.

by Anonymousreply 141December 3, 2017 12:43 AM

I tried to watch Georgy Girl last night but gave up at the 30 minute mark, when James Mason said he used to think of Lynn Redgrave as a daughter but doesn't any more because he wants to fuck her. Ewww.

The whole film should have been centered on bitchy Meredith!

by Anonymousreply 142December 3, 2017 12:53 AM

He makes me crazy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143December 3, 2017 1:12 AM

R141 I agree with you. But he seems to personally have been someone to be avoided at all costs.

Unfortunately his children didn't have a say in the matter.

by Anonymousreply 144December 3, 2017 1:48 AM

Some quotes from people who actually knew him:

"He was an incorrigible romantic, always in love or on the edge of love." - Alan Bennett

"I just thought that, apart from being a really first-rate actor, he was the most delightful person." - Glenda Jackson

"He was the very best of best friends." - Simon Gray

"He had an extraordinary need to love people." - Felicity Kendal

"He had an instinct for truth and honesty." - Bryan Forbes

"He was a living lesson in acting, always remarkably restrained and subtle." - Hayley Mills

"He had the flame of life in him. He inspired love and admiration in so many people ... He had a sense of humour that was mischievous and wicked in a droll way. As an actor, he was a man of quite extraordinary range." - Harold Pinter

by Anonymousreply 145December 3, 2017 6:59 PM

All very nice R145 but while he was delightfully pursuing his next love affair ( and keeping it iron clad closeted ) his children were living like street urchins and almost starved to death. He may have been a great actor and given Harold Pinter a few chuckles but he left a great deal to be desired as a human being.

by Anonymousreply 146December 3, 2017 7:13 PM

r146 Really? Where did you read that? From what I've read it was Alan who looked after his children, before and after he took custody of them.

by Anonymousreply 147December 3, 2017 8:17 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148December 3, 2017 8:30 PM

As a teen I adored him in Georgy Girl.

That film was what we'd all heard swinging London was like at the time and Bates was the epitome of the young Carrnaby Street lad.

by Anonymousreply 149December 3, 2017 8:42 PM

[quote]That film was what we'd all heard swinging London was like at the time

Not really.

Two girls living in a dreary flat in Maida Vale. They never went near anywhere trendy and that awful song was popular with old ladies.

[quote]and Bates was the epitome of the young Carrnaby Street lad.

No, he was way too old. He wore a few silly hats, that's all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 3, 2017 9:00 PM

Sensible people ignore any silly gossip from that hideous, superstitions Catholic muck-raker named Donald Spoto who specialised in second-hand ludicrous lies.

by Anonymousreply 151December 3, 2017 9:24 PM

However low your opinion of him R151, Spoto's interviews with Bates's son were reprinted in the Daily Mail and whatever one may think of that dubious publication it has assiduous lawyers who scan everything it prints for fear of legal ramifications. The story of his life is well known to those who knew him and I can vouch for the Nickolas Grace appearances in the Spoto book as I know him personally and his relationship with Bates was as described.

by Anonymousreply 152December 3, 2017 10:03 PM

You say you knew Nickolas Grace but did you know Cyril Louis Goldbert (who took the fanciful name of "Wyngarde") before he lapsed into dementia?

I would not trust that deceptive creature and the grotesque Spoto for a second.

by Anonymousreply 153December 3, 2017 10:23 PM

No R153 but surprised Wyngarde is still alive, what has he been living on all these years since he was caught cottaging in unenlightened times and his 'Jason King' fame was rescinded?

by Anonymousreply 154December 3, 2017 10:40 PM

We've seen Joan Collins' spawn clutching at fame this week.

I maintain that the late Alan Bates' spawn were clutching at American money when they allowed that American fool (Spoto) to use their name in publicising another of his well-funded, childish, muck-raking examples of second-hand scuttlebutt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 3, 2017 10:46 PM

R152, did you know Bates?

I think that he must have been irresistible in the way that young Marlon Brando probably was.

by Anonymousreply 156December 4, 2017 4:54 AM

I never really thought about it before, but this thread convinced me that Bates was definitely more attractive with a little facial scruff.

by Anonymousreply 157December 4, 2017 5:05 AM

I didn't R152 but I think the appeal you describe is why he was able to get away with treating the people he was intimate with pretty shabbily , looks and charm afford privilege. As to his closeted nature, he was only a few years older than Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi who have both had successful careers and been somewhat candid about their sexuality , especially after middle age, but then they were never film stars and certainly not matinee idols.

by Anonymousreply 158December 4, 2017 5:10 AM

R158 meant as a response to R156

by Anonymousreply 159December 4, 2017 5:20 AM

r148 It's a little bizarre to read that extract and come away with the notion that Alan was an awful human being in how he treated his children. He was a very successful actor who worked away and travelled a great deal, so he quite reasonably left the children's mother to look after them. The odd lifestyle they endured was obviously due to her and once Alan discovered how they'd been living he took sole custody of them both and raised them himself. At no point in the book are we ever told that their life with Alan was lacking in any way. And it's quite clear that they both loved and adored him.

by Anonymousreply 160December 4, 2017 7:07 AM

[quote]I loved him in An Unmarried Woman. He and Jill Clayburgh were perfection together.

I didn't get that movie. I mean I would have been Mrs. Alan Bates so fast it would have made that guy's head spin.

by Anonymousreply 161December 4, 2017 7:36 AM

As Proust in Alan Bennett's 102 BLVD HAUSSMANN...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162December 4, 2017 7:39 AM

With Lorna Luft in 1972...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 4, 2017 7:45 AM

I always thought he was hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 4, 2017 9:44 AM

R162, seeing that,image, I'm wondering how he might have been in the Bogarde role in Death in Venice.

by Anonymousreply 165December 4, 2017 10:03 AM

Wasn't he short? They had to make sure he stood on higher ground for the camera with his ladies.

by Anonymousreply 166December 4, 2017 10:51 AM

^ He was 1.8 metres or 5 foot 9 inches.

He probably got shorter in his latter years (he did get thicker)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 4, 2017 11:05 AM

R160 It's vague in the extreme to not know your own children are living in squalid and deprived circumstances until they are 12 and turn up at your door, however busy your diary is. Once he 'found out' his own sons' circumstances he did at least move them into a house next door with staff...the paternal warmth is overwhelming! I'm sure his sons were fond of him but his personal relationships sound awkward and arms' length at best, i.e ending a 10 year gay relationship with someone he made hide in the back of his car when driving together with a curt "I expect I'll see you around". He was sexy and managed a very successful career, he sounds fine if you weren't too close and didn't rely on him.

by Anonymousreply 168December 4, 2017 4:00 PM

Great actor and he was really hot when he was young

by Anonymousreply 169December 4, 2017 4:04 PM

[quote]I'm sure his sons were fond of him

They were quite clearly more than just "fond" of him. The vast majority of those who knew him well seem to have nothing but great love and affection for him. And his colleagues seemed to have the greatest respect for his talent as an actor. No one's saying he was perfect, but I think you're overstating his flaws.

by Anonymousreply 170December 4, 2017 4:13 PM

He had a whole series of almost obligatory nude scenes at one point, much like later DL fave Richard Gere did. Bates showed at least backal nudity in "Georgy Girl", 'King of Hearts", "The Fixer", "Women in Love" (where he showed everything there), and probably in some other films as well.

by Anonymousreply 171December 4, 2017 4:17 PM

I'm not really that invested R170 He was a good actor and a flawed person that's about it, I guess my interest was piqued by finding out he was such a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 172December 4, 2017 5:22 PM

[quote]I guess my interest was piqued by finding out he was such a closet case.

Yes, it is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 173December 4, 2017 5:28 PM

Sexy masculinecman. Short does not bother me, even tho I am 6 feet 3 inches. There is a very hot short guy in my building living with a girl. Worked out with him a few times in our gym. No pinning. But he is SO hot, great ass.

by Anonymousreply 174December 4, 2017 6:04 PM

He did just about the greatest drunk scene on Broadway in his Tony-winning role in "Fortune's Fool" I've ever seen. The only thing close was Lucille Ball's drunk laughing/crying scene in "Yours, Mine and Ours". Bates did his live on stage 8x a week. He was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 175December 4, 2017 6:06 PM

His double performance in John Schlesinger's 1983 adaptation of SEPARATE TABLES is supposed to be superb. Alongside a gorgeous Julie Christie. I don't think it's ever been released on DVD. Another one I want to see is Lindsay Anderson's IN CELEBRATION.

Also Pinter's THE COLLECTION from 1976, in which Laurence Olivier and Malcolm McDowell play lovers. Bates also appeared with Olivier in THREE SISTERS and THE ENTERTAINER.

by Anonymousreply 176December 4, 2017 6:25 PM

[quote]Also Pinter's THE COLLECTION from 1976, in which Laurence Olivier and Malcolm McDowell play lovers

That's on YouTube.

No comment.

by Anonymousreply 177December 4, 2017 8:12 PM

'Separate Tables' is also on Youtube. It s presented as I wrote it and NOT as in that schlocky 1958 movie version.

I was Britain's favourite playwright for 20 years while Pinter R176 was favourite for three.

by Anonymousreply 178December 4, 2017 9:20 PM

It was on Youtube R178 , but only briefly, you have to be quick off the mark to catch some of these old videos there. Seems churlish for copyright hounds to deprive us when the product is unavailable for purchase in any case. Bates almost plays another closet case in Separate Tables, the bogus major shamed when a local paper reports his conviction for importuning women in a cinema. Rattigan's original character had to be changed from a man cruising men in similar circumstances. I think there have been productions that reverted to the original since then. It's pretty obvious to those in the know but Aunt Edna had to be protected in the '50s.

by Anonymousreply 179December 4, 2017 11:25 PM

^ Yes, Youtube is so annoying as it doesn't have a general search engine to find rare items. You have to search within the particular uploader's index to find them.

'The Deep Blue Sea' was another of Terence's covertly-gay plays from which Aunt Edna had to be protected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180December 4, 2017 11:50 PM

Well, I wish someone would have protected me from "reality TV."

by Anonymousreply 181December 4, 2017 11:51 PM

There's a version of the 1983 SEPARATE TABLES on dailymotion but oddly it's only an hour long. The film is 110 minutes long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182December 5, 2017 6:53 AM

^ that TV version has a pretty young man named Brian Deacon in it.

by Anonymousreply 183December 5, 2017 7:34 AM

[quote]I was Britain's favourite playwright for 20 years while Pinter [R176] was favourite for three.

Arguable, Sir Terence, but in any event I ended up with The Nobel. In addition, I had the pleasure of directing the subject of this thread in the film of 'Butley.'

by Anonymousreply 184December 5, 2017 7:37 AM

There's a torrent of SEPARATE TABLES online but frustratingly it looks like only 98.2% of it is being seeded. I assume it's still watchable, but there'll be about 2-3 minutes missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185December 5, 2017 8:09 AM

But Harold R184, you created a sensation which lasted 3 years but then you retired to do movie scripts (which are much less demanding) and then you retired even future into a strange two-faced existence being a champion for the underprivileged whilst married to a posh aristocrat who wrote bodice-rippers.

by Anonymousreply 186December 5, 2017 8:22 AM

R184, but dear Hal (if I may), we know that you were awarded That Prize because of your politics. And have you ever bothered to look up the names of the jury for that? A slew of Swedish nonentities. (After that Dylan person won for his mumblings, I simply had to ascertain the identities of the deluded fools.)

And I had Ivor Novello!

by Anonymousreply 187December 5, 2017 8:22 AM

And Harold R184, your friend Howard Jacobsen tells me that the key to understanding your sensational (but short-lived) plays is to mentally insert one quiet word into your famous ‘Pinteresque pregnant pauses’. That quiet word is ‘jew’.

And your first wife, the lovely Vivien, told me that her replacement, the minor aristocrat has particularly UN-lovely ankles which resembles milk bottles!

by Anonymousreply 188December 5, 2017 8:52 AM

[quote] that TV version has a pretty young man named Brian Deacon in it.

He was married to DL fave, Rula Lenska

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189December 5, 2017 9:20 AM

Terence, Terry, Tel. A conservative view of my output will show a career of substantial work from about 1958 to 1978, with much more in addition either side of those years. Then there was also poetry and directing.

I was pleased with the major revival of No Man's Land last year on both tides of the pond, and on screen. It's not impossible you might be noticed again one day. Incidentally, I wonder if you might identify with the character of Hirst, so wonderfully played by Sir Patrick Stewart. He is, you recall, a rich alcoholic upper-class litterateur, looked after by two tough younger men. It's the sort of play you might have tried, had you dared.

Anyway, let's not quarrel. To quote DL: "Girls, girls! You're both significant UK playwrights!" It's true though that I have a theatre named after me.

by Anonymousreply 190December 5, 2017 12:10 PM

I seem to recall watching The Collector and Malcolm McDowell and Alan Bates are so gay-acting that you can't believe the plot that either ever had sex with a woman.

by Anonymousreply 191December 5, 2017 12:42 PM

The director of IN CELEBRATION, Lindsay Anderson, is interesting. He was gay and I don't think he ever hid it, but I'm sure I read that he was conflicted about it (maybe a Catholic) and was basically celibate, only ever falling in love with straight men who couldn't love him back. I think Malcolm McDowell (who he made several films with) said that he was in love with him and he was fine with that as he respected Lindsay so much, but he got the sense that falling in love with straight men was a pattern of his or something.

by Anonymousreply 192December 5, 2017 3:42 PM

Why such long faces r189?

by Anonymousreply 193December 5, 2017 3:55 PM

R113 "quick Jodrell" = rhyming slang for "wank"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 9, 2017 9:50 AM

R24, R85, R89, R101, R132, R153, R154; Well it seems the ghastly and 'obscene' Cyril Goldbert creature is still alive.

Glimpsed at 7.54 in this advertising clip from last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 9, 2017 10:10 AM

Back in circa 1970 - there was a commercial on TV in England.

Showed a guy getting out of his Bentley convertible and the voiceover said - 'PETER WYNGARDE SMELLS... GREAT!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196December 9, 2017 10:50 AM

A MAN of his TIMES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 9, 2017 10:52 AM

^ that creature is one of the more pathetic of thousand James Bond copycats which infested the 1960s and inspired me.

by Anonymousreply 198December 9, 2017 9:47 PM

R192, I think Gavin Lambert was a friend and wrote a bio of him. Or mentioned him a lot in a memoir.

by Anonymousreply 199December 10, 2017 3:58 AM

R198 No dreary get your facts right. Jason King was originally on Department S which was an interesting take on The Avengers(The British series not the dopey Marvel comic) not Bond. Jason King was ten thousand times more flamboyant than Paul Lynde was ! Yes Peter Wyngarde was married and fucked women (he fucked more guys for sure)BUT Alan Bates was arguably the love of his life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200December 10, 2017 4:11 PM

^ Cyril Goldbert was arguably NOT the love of Alan Bates' life.

'The Avengers' was a blatant knock-off of the Bond films: Emma Peel was a blatant, vinyl-clad reproduction of Pussy Galore.

by Anonymousreply 201December 10, 2017 5:07 PM

R201 Dreary, The Avengers started in 1961 BEFORE Bond's first film. Bond was a ripoff of The French novel series OSS 117 . Fleming took the initials of the French writer(Jean Bruce) and concocted James Bond from that. .You really need to do your homework.

Don't tell me Joanna Pettet was the love of his life. I love that woman(Bates stayed with her until she died) but Wyngarde's top to Bates' bottom was like a gay Olivier and Leigh.

by Anonymousreply 202December 10, 2017 6:03 PM

^ Bates was a Bottom ? !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203December 10, 2017 6:53 PM

I was in love with Alan Bates from the moment I first set eyes in him. I found him perfect in every way.

There is a biography of his life called "Otherwise Engaged: The Life of Alan Bates". Quite well-done and interesting. Available on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 204December 10, 2017 7:27 PM

Wyngarde was nasty and Alan really didn't love him. Jo Pettet was a rescue case. Alan saved her from her "dealer down the trailer park" situation and she tried to trick him into marriage "who wouldn't be lady Bates" mode. He was wonderful

by Anonymousreply 205January 6, 2018 10:36 PM

"Bates stayed with her [Pettet] until she died."

She's alive.

by Anonymousreply 206January 6, 2018 10:44 PM

Joanna Pettet has quite a life story.

Terence Stamp AND Alan Bates?

I loved her in The Group! But not as much as Candice Bergen's character.

by Anonymousreply 207January 6, 2018 10:49 PM

Of course she is alive, I bet she still lives in his house, supported by the family. She demanded also a 50 000 £ pay off for her silence

by Anonymousreply 208January 6, 2018 10:52 PM

R208 Peter, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 209January 6, 2018 10:59 PM

Haha no I am not Peter. Dreadful man. They were never as close as in his mind. Delusional

by Anonymousreply 210January 6, 2018 11:03 PM

Looks like John Krasinski in OP’s pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 6, 2018 11:10 PM

R206 Pettet the woman may be alive but Pettet the star died in 1969.

by Anonymousreply 212January 6, 2018 11:12 PM

Exactly [R212]

by Anonymousreply 213January 6, 2018 11:17 PM

I trust everyone on DL!

by Anonymousreply 214January 6, 2018 11:20 PM

I trust everyone on DL (except for those paranoiacs who insist DL is being infiltrated by the KGB)

by Anonymousreply 215January 6, 2018 11:32 PM

[quote]Of course she is alive, I bet she still lives in his house, supported by the family. She demanded also a 50 000 £ pay off for her silence

Her silence about what?

by Anonymousreply 216January 6, 2018 11:46 PM

R216 I'm guessing her silence about the fact that former stars often live haunted, sordid lives. Bates was able to get high-quality supporting roles until his death but I'm guessing Pettet looks like a shrivelled-up rag.

And I'm guessing that ludicrous drama queen (PW) was being an utter nuisance feeding lies and gossip to American muck-rakers.

by Anonymousreply 217January 6, 2018 11:53 PM

Jo sad story...came from broken family, beautiful girl, started acting on broadway, in a play with Alan and Gene Hackman, fell for Alan, had her big break in The group, became white hot in hollywood for a while. Best friends with Sharon Tate. Narrowly escaped the killing only to be held hostage in south america. Married major abuser and serial cheater Alex Cord. Robbed her of every penny she had. Their son ODedd. She went from being presented to the Queen to supporting gig in Knots Landing, then worse, and finally retired, to the trailer park where old platonic flame Alan Bates ( he of the disastrous entourage) found her before the fbi did ( drug deal) and brought her back to London... Where he lived to regret it-with her

by Anonymousreply 218January 6, 2018 11:56 PM

She quit working after going to act in a Roger Corman-cheap action film and ended up being held a political hostage in the Philippines!

She really was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 219January 6, 2018 11:57 PM

Joanna Pettet gets a glowing write-up here.

I'd rather be in Knots Landing than meet the fucking Queen.

I'd rather watch Knots Landing than meet her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220January 7, 2018 12:00 AM

^ I can't agree. I thought she was an ordinary skinny woman trying to be another Sixties Sexpot.

And she must have been frankly stupid to chase Bates who was an obvious man-lover.

by Anonymousreply 221January 7, 2018 12:00 AM

[R216] Her silence about Alan's incredibly young and gorgeous love interest. Alan was very private and hated the press. By the way wyngarde last saw Alan circa 1966 ( and once on his death bed- to apologize). Everything else he says is BS

by Anonymousreply 222January 7, 2018 12:05 AM

I disagree, r221. I think she was strikingly lovely and appeared very sharp on the screen.

She'd had a hard road to hoe. Maybe she was drawn to Bates for something beyond sex. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 223January 7, 2018 12:10 AM

Is HB a lesbian, Trust Me?

by Anonymousreply 224January 7, 2018 12:13 AM

Who is HB?

by Anonymousreply 225January 7, 2018 12:14 AM

Who is HB [R224] ? [R223] you are right, there was love between them, they had both lost a child also, and Alan Bates was completely and absolutely devastating. Irresistible really. But it was not LOVE. And at that point she was very, very scary. Like Batshit scary

by Anonymousreply 226January 7, 2018 12:22 AM

HB has been mentioned on this thread, but I guess you're not who I thought you might be.

by Anonymousreply 227January 7, 2018 12:24 AM

There's a pic of Pettet at a premiere with Bates in 2003. She looked fine, apart from what looked like a shiny synthetic wig atop her head.

by Anonymousreply 228January 7, 2018 12:26 AM

[R228] yes I know the photo, that was her best look for a night out. Crazy wig and fab hollywood makeup et voila...she had been a STAR! and she could still turn it on. Quite beautiful too, but the next day... Poor Jo, I loved her despite

by Anonymousreply 229January 7, 2018 12:33 AM

You rang, r228?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230January 7, 2018 12:34 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231January 7, 2018 12:34 AM

Is that her in r231? It doesn't look like her to me.

by Anonymousreply 232January 7, 2018 12:35 AM

[quote]Where he lived to regret it-with her

Why?

by Anonymousreply 233January 7, 2018 12:36 AM

yeah, that's her - look at her face and her nose.

by Anonymousreply 234January 7, 2018 12:39 AM

[R223] She understood that he would marry her.!!! She was very high strung, she hated London and when Alan met his well...that young person, she went beserk. In a Fatal Attraction sort of way. The woman in the other pic is Hangarad Rees, british actresss who dated Alan in the 90's

by Anonymousreply 235January 7, 2018 12:44 AM

No, that is actress Angharad Rees in r231. She died not so long ago.

The photo is from the Daily Fail and does not even include a caption.

by Anonymousreply 236January 7, 2018 12:47 AM

Rees was wonderful in the first Poldark. She died not too long ago.

by Anonymousreply 237January 7, 2018 12:48 AM

Can someone post a picture of Alan Bates' male lover? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 238January 7, 2018 1:01 AM

Considering how paranoid Bates was about being found out as gay his hiding in plain site performance in Women in Love is all the more remarkable.

I can't imagine an actor today gay or straight doing such a role in a mainstream film.

But it was the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 239January 7, 2018 1:14 AM

[238] no you won't find that. X was from a well-to-do continental family italian or french or both, just starting a modelling/acting career, very naive,absolutely stunning and wildly in love. Jo tried to banX from the london clinic when Alan was dying. She threatened to call the press. X was so hurt, disappeared from the scene after the funeral

by Anonymousreply 240January 7, 2018 1:15 AM

R39 The late Peter Finch did two very big gay roles (Wilde and Bloody Sunday).

I think Bates did 4 or 5.

by Anonymousreply 241January 7, 2018 1:16 AM

No one like Finch or Bates now.

by Anonymousreply 242January 7, 2018 1:17 AM

R238 I think it's safe to assume that an attractive, successful star like Bates would have had a succession of lovers and partners.

by Anonymousreply 243January 7, 2018 1:20 AM

Hiding in plain 'sight.' I hate when I do stuff like that.

But to do a couple of frontal scenes as well and one is nude wrestling with another man?

I can't even imagine anyone doing that today.

And being that it is done by the light of a fireplace things could be very artfully concealed in shadow but Russell and his actors unlike today were fuck that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 244January 7, 2018 1:23 AM

"I ignore any gossip from that hideous, superstitions Catholic muck-raker named Donald Spoto."

So do I. He's a hack who grinds out celebrity biographies like nobody's business. And they're frequently full of shit. He also plays favorites with his subjects; some of them he hates and some of them he worships. He's written not one, but THREE books about Alfred Hitchcock, who he positively loathes for some reason. His opinion of Hitchcock is that his movies weren't that great and he was a sexual deviate. On the other hand his biography of Marilyn Monroe slops over with admiration for her and despite all the evidence to the contrary he insists she was NOT a drug addict (she was addicted to sleeping pills) , NOT promiscuous (she would fuck practically anybody) and NOT terribly unprofessional (she would show up hours late and couldn't remember her lines). Spoto sucks, both literally and figuratively.

by Anonymousreply 245January 7, 2018 1:28 AM

Are you American? It's not rare for actors across the pond to disrobe and/or play gay roles. Full frontal nudity is not uncommon. Tom Hardy got his little dick out a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 246January 7, 2018 1:36 AM

Has Eleanor Bron ever written an autobiography?

She lived during an amazing period of British cultural life and knew so many fascinating people.

by Anonymousreply 247January 7, 2018 1:37 AM

R218, she didn't come from a broken family. Her father died in the war. And she wasn't held hostage in South America, it was the Phillipines where she was doiing her last film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248January 7, 2018 1:38 AM

I read the spoto book about Alan.Half of it is plain made up. Horse shit [R245]

by Anonymousreply 249January 7, 2018 1:39 AM

She looks like Patricia Hodge. Hardly a great beauty.

by Anonymousreply 250January 7, 2018 1:40 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251January 7, 2018 1:42 AM

sorry, stinky linky

by Anonymousreply 252January 7, 2018 1:43 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253January 7, 2018 1:45 AM

I read that Bates biography. I don't remember it as being particularly juicy or eventful. The tidbit that stuck in my mind was that Bates apparently referred to hot young men as "venison".

by Anonymousreply 254January 7, 2018 1:46 AM

[R248] Could have been the Philippines, my bad. But I am pretty sure she had a stepfather she was not happy about. Met her much later in life anyway

by Anonymousreply 255January 7, 2018 1:47 AM

So Joanna Pettet is the Susan Richardson of England?

by Anonymousreply 256January 7, 2018 1:49 AM

Pettets's one child died of a heroin overdose at 26 in 1995. His father was officially Alex Cord but may have been Terence Stamp. In photos, he has a very delicate face and is very blond.

by Anonymousreply 257January 7, 2018 1:51 AM

Joanna Pettet was TV's Sweetheart in England?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258January 7, 2018 1:53 AM

I don't think I have ever heard Joanna Pettet speaking in her own accent.

I seem to remember her playing villains. Here she is opposite Tab Hunter, dubbed in French, on Charlie's Angels.

Oh, the places that Alan Bates leads...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259January 7, 2018 1:56 AM

I think she is canadian in fact but she held a British passport also, either by birth or lineage. Alan only married once but had tons of lovers. He was achingly handsome and fabulously charming and generous. Every body wanted him

by Anonymousreply 260January 7, 2018 2:04 AM

I thought Susan was crazy talking about when she did a film and was kidnapped in some foreign country so if the same thing happened to Joanna P maybe it was true.

by Anonymousreply 261January 7, 2018 2:05 AM

Joanna Pettet's kidnapping is at least listed in her Wikipedia page.

No such detail for Susan Richardson's legendary (on DL) ordeal in North Korea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262January 7, 2018 2:10 AM

Well, we all know now that Hollywood is a sick place so who knows what Susan Richardson went through.

by Anonymousreply 263January 7, 2018 2:13 AM

Alan was extremely talented, devoted to his work, amazingly versatile and fearless. He didn't care for the hollywood thing and didn't feel he owed the press anything. Stardom is publicity. He never played that game. Plus he was very shy and secretive. Sometimes he just wouldn't say how many sugar he had with his coffee. Much less who he was sleeping with. But his choices of roles speak volumes. Integrity and honesty. He truly was marvelous and adored- to the extent of harassment.He collected weirdos like Mia collects children.wanted to save them. Dangerous game

by Anonymousreply 264January 7, 2018 10:47 AM

I am totally with Pauline Kael that An Unmarried Woman fell apart at the end when Jill didn't go off with Alan.

by Anonymousreply 265January 7, 2018 11:39 AM

[quote]Can someone post a picture of Alan Bates' male lover? Thanks

which one? there were so many!

when I read his biography, I was googling away.

by Anonymousreply 266January 7, 2018 11:47 AM

[quote]Has Eleanor Bron ever written an autobiography? She lived during an amazing period of British cultural life and knew so many fascinating people.

she's written silly books about journeys on her bicycle, stuff like that.

I, as a biography addict, have read them all.

In fact I used to live near her in London and see her on her bicycle a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267January 7, 2018 11:50 AM

[quote]He collected weirdos like Mia collects children.wanted to save them. Dangerous game

Boy - the woman he married sure was one - if you believe what's in the Spoto book.

by Anonymousreply 268January 7, 2018 11:56 AM

I hope this link works, it's one of my favorite pics of Joanna Pettet, who I adore:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 7, 2018 11:58 AM

has this been mentioned?

[quote]In 1968, Pettet married the American actor Alex Cord and gave birth to a son 3 and 1/2 months later. The boy, Damien Zach was given the last name "Cord", however,[bold] his biological father was British actor Terence Stamp.[/bold]She and Cord were divorced in 1989 after 21 years of marriage. She has not remarried.

by Anonymousreply 270January 7, 2018 12:06 PM

Alan's wife was not a weirdo. She was mentally ill. They adored each other in the beginning and wanted to have children more than anything. But untreated mental led to domestic hell. He never wanted to divorce her.Loved her till the end. She had another man a french aristocrat. He was straying. But he was mostly trying to save the children.Ultimately couldn't. Tragedy of his life

by Anonymousreply 271January 7, 2018 12:08 PM

[quote]Alan's wife was not a weirdo. She was mentally ill.

Aren't they the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 272January 7, 2018 12:21 PM

No no. Major mental illness is different from just being a selfish annoying little cunt who try hysterically to upgrade a near one-night-stand status to great-love-of-a-movie-star quality. See taylor/wyngarde/Grace kind of obnoxious. Alan was so kind and patient. " see u around in london " was the cruelest thing he would say when some random cunt he was trying to rescue would express their annoyance at Alan's children

by Anonymousreply 273January 7, 2018 12:33 PM

Joanna Pettet played Mata Bond in Casino Royale.

She emerges from the spectacle at about 1:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274January 7, 2018 1:14 PM

"Joanna Pettet IS James Bond" at about 0:49.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275January 7, 2018 1:18 PM

That was her great moment. She was sensational and almost stole the show from a cast of luminaries. She had a great voice too. One of her best assets. She really had quality. Unlike...Do I read " Nick Grace's relationship was as described in the book"? According to... Said Nick Grace I presume! Please!" Grace" is spelt l-e-e-c-h. What a joke. Not so funny in the end when that disgusting little freak was welcoming the press in the lobby of the lndon clinic. Alan knew

by Anonymousreply 276January 7, 2018 1:27 PM

^ Ah, 'Trust me I know', you speak with authority.

I must re-read your contributions R276 R249 R205 R240 again.

by Anonymousreply 277January 8, 2018 9:16 AM

R167 Are there any about her acting career and the people she worked with?

I would be thrilled if I had a sighting of her. Though living in the states it's pretty unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 278January 8, 2018 9:27 AM

[quote]^ Ah, 'Trust me I know', you speak with authority.

he's marvelous, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 279January 8, 2018 9:59 AM

You r welcome y'all. BTW not that I was in their bedroom but Jo Pettet refered to Terence Stamp aka Terry in a " good ol' terry, not getting any younger" way that was so opposite to the crippling grief and the agony she was obviously feeling towards Alex Cord, the father of her lost son that I can only discard the idea that Stamp was the father as ludicrous. Interestingly, while Alan Bates was even more handsome and impressive IRL ( gorgeous man he was) Stamp, although fascinating on screen, is an epic case of " camera loves him". Short dry little fellow with 0 charisma off sreen. He could deliver the mail without u looking twice. But great looking on film.

by Anonymousreply 280January 8, 2018 10:53 AM

[quote]—Trust me I know

not really. I saw Stamp in real life, in middle age, many times and he was very striking looking.

NOT a tremendous personality - true.

by Anonymousreply 281January 8, 2018 11:00 AM

Did I mention that Alan was a riot? Hysterically funny, he made people around him happy, he had a glow, wonderful personality, intoxicating really. And Jo herself was a very funny woman. They were great fun to be around ddespite all the tragedies. And in that respect they were a wonderful duo. Good friends. But Alan was the caregiver, not the contrary. And boy she needed to be given care, loose gun that she was.

by Anonymousreply 282January 8, 2018 11:11 AM

As a little gayling in the 1970s, I saw the nude wrestling scene between Oliver Reed and Alan Bates on HBO. I was transfixed. Both were gorgeous, but Bates with his beard really attracted me. He had that rugged handsomeness that still appeals to me to this day. Wonderful actor, but like most actors, fucked up in his personal life. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 283January 8, 2018 11:27 AM

But you weren't sad aroud him coz...well ..Natalie Wood said some along the line " 1 night with Warren is worth a lifetime with any other ".. That applied to Alan in a BIG way. He was...otherwordly...

by Anonymousreply 284January 8, 2018 11:34 AM

Incognito- "Said everyone who was a member between 1955 and 2003"

by Anonymousreply 285January 8, 2018 12:37 PM

Alan as Gabriel Oak in "Far from the Madding Crowd." Never got over him Never will.

by Anonymousreply 286January 8, 2018 1:07 PM

Were any of Alan's lovers DL hot?

by Anonymousreply 287January 8, 2018 2:40 PM

The one I saw was fitness model hot R287.

by Anonymousreply 288January 8, 2018 3:07 PM

Was the 1st male cover of Vogue and the 1st full-frontal male A-lister

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289January 13, 2018 10:06 PM

john curry, skater, died of aids at 44

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290January 13, 2018 10:42 PM

nickolas grace, the effete anthony blanche, from brideshead revisited

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291January 13, 2018 10:48 PM

They were very good friends. Not lovers anymore for years when he died, but he did die in Alan's arms. When Alan was your friend you could count on him for the rest of your life. No matter how shitty you were

by Anonymousreply 292January 13, 2018 10:49 PM

R291, Yes that would be him..Great Love of Him and "Lady Bates" contestant

by Anonymousreply 293January 13, 2018 10:59 PM

Joanne Pettit was a friend of Sharon Tate's. She was over at Sharon's for lunch on the day Sharon got murdered by the Manson family. Supposedly Sharon asked to come by later, and she declined, thus saving herself from a horrible fate. She was also friends with Janice Wylie, who was knifed to death in what came to be known as "The Career Girls Murder." Strange that she was friends with two flamboyant blondes who were murdered by being stabbed to death.

by Anonymousreply 294January 13, 2018 11:27 PM

Jo attracts trouble like honey attracts bees. She is also a very hard woman and she knows it. I asked her how she could sell drugs when her son had died from it, did she not think of other young lives that would be damaged? we had long openhearted conversations at night in Alan 's garden as she would puff away ( joint). She casually answered, the money is easy, and if I didn't, somebody else would

by Anonymousreply 295January 13, 2018 11:34 PM

^. I do wish you Pettet lovers would create your particular Pettet thread.

We have to come here to adore an important sexy man and not delve into the unpleasant pedestrian aspects of his day-to-day existence.

by Anonymousreply 296January 13, 2018 11:44 PM

Exactly R296. But we need to stop that "Pettet was his caregiver" BS and really understand the depth of Alan Bates's heart, his tenderness, his strenght even in ill health, his loyalty and tolerance towards his friends in need, who had been less lucky than himself

by Anonymousreply 297January 13, 2018 11:52 PM

Be that as it may, dear R297, I do hope this memorial to him won't be besmirched.

by Anonymousreply 298January 13, 2018 11:55 PM

Besmirched R298? His whole life has been besmirched already by Donald Spoto, with the help of his family and "friends" who lived off his generosity, the long parade of the common leeches who came day after day at the London clinic asking for money and legal papers to be signed. Did you read the thread ? Do you think I will let strangers say these horrible nasty things when he was the kindest Man on hearth? That is what I thought when he died that nasty christmas day " there is no more kindness in the world"

by Anonymousreply 299January 14, 2018 12:12 AM

R299 That D.S. person you mentioned (and I refuse to name them) is the very worst of American muck-rakers. Their schoolgirl gossip has created a permanent dirty footnote in the honourable career of Bates' mentor Olivier.

by Anonymousreply 300January 14, 2018 12:23 AM

Well...Olivier was not really Alan's mentor. Alan loved Vivien and was friends with Joan Plowright, and he did several movies with Olivier, but didn't like him and would object to the term.. He even turned down " Sleuth" because he didn't want to work with Olivier again, and didn't for many years. He adored Peter Finch, James Mason, john schlesinger, but thought Olivier demanding and unpleasant

by Anonymousreply 301January 14, 2018 12:35 AM

Didn't Oliver say on his retirement that he would pass the National over to Finney, Hopkins or Bates but NOT to the oleaginous Hall or some other bureaucrat?

by Anonymousreply 302January 14, 2018 12:40 AM

Wasn't Olivier fired? i don't think he retired.

by Anonymousreply 303January 14, 2018 12:44 AM

Olivier liked him obviously but not many people liked Olivier, who would perhaps, without the benefits of Vivien social skills, not have had the same stature

by Anonymousreply 304January 14, 2018 12:47 AM

R303 Olivier may have been fired from the Old Vic in the mid 40s but the National was a bureaucratic nightmare with multiple auditoria in a new, unpleasant building besieged by bean-counters. And unfortunately illness came upon him.

R304 Nonsense. Olivier was the focus of jealousy and envy for over 35 years while poor Vivien became a liability after 20.

by Anonymousreply 305January 14, 2018 12:54 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306January 14, 2018 1:11 AM

..Jonthan Kent, who directed Bates at the Almeida, once said: "He has an air of mystery. There's an impenetrable heart to him."

by Anonymousreply 307January 14, 2018 1:21 AM

R307 oh thank you. Its very accurate. He was so mysterious and yet so warm sexy and funny.Every body wanted access to the secret depth of his heart. You could hold his body but access to this hidden gem was denied. For all but one I suspect . His amazing tenderness and superior understanding of human nature were shimmering under the surface, exasperingly out of reach.

by Anonymousreply 308January 14, 2018 1:41 AM

Sorry my android is exasperating too lol

by Anonymousreply 309January 14, 2018 1:50 AM

I forgot he was in Gosford Park. There were so many in that great cast.

by Anonymousreply 310January 14, 2018 1:59 AM

R305 Not at all, she was the queen of the theatre, very few new she was ill. She was the dazzling lady Oivier, and she comanded attention and respect. Her secretary Rosemary Geddes became Alan's after her death. I could tell you but I am going to bed now. Enough for now

by Anonymousreply 311January 14, 2018 2:46 AM

I, for one, have loved the rabbit hole that this thread went down with Joanna Pettet. For fuck’s sake, it even drew Susan Richardson in.

This shit is what makes DL unique. It just doesn’t exist elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312January 14, 2018 4:01 AM

So much to love. Even the signature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313January 14, 2018 4:05 AM

Eyes on the prize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314January 14, 2018 4:09 AM

Fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315January 14, 2018 4:13 AM

R313, very nice. He had such a beautiful mouth, but his lips got so thin and parched.. Was he a smoker? Any more info from the poster who,knew the bf Gavin Somebody?

by Anonymousreply 316January 14, 2018 4:15 AM

When I went to London for the only time in my life, it might have been Jan '77, there had been so little new building that the city still had a very wonderfully atmospheric beautiful sooty Dickensian air about it. Therefore when I visited the National I was appalled by the concrete community college design of this dermatological growth along the Thames near the heart of the city.

Reading Blakemore's account of this period and then the Hall Diaries many years later I had no idea it had just opened and all the intrigue which had just taken place. It seems that from these accounts Olivier was slowly but surely pushed out and Hall with a genius for Machiavellian charm, maneuvering and jockeying for power far surpassing his talents as a director for the stage was able to consolidate his power.

by Anonymousreply 317January 14, 2018 11:11 AM

The National is a good example of the ugly Brutalism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318January 14, 2018 11:27 AM

There was so much of him to enjoy.he was so large and warm..never forgot

by Anonymousreply 319January 14, 2018 12:09 PM

It's hard to reconcile the portrait of a guy who was essentially elusive but also so loving and lovable. The former would do serious damage to, if not altogether cancel out, the latter for me.

by Anonymousreply 320January 14, 2018 4:44 PM

R320 I see your point.That is why he was disrespected by so many who loved him madly and yet couldn't fully grasp him. But in this mysterious space lied the source of his spirituality and his artistic inspiration.He couldn't give himself fully no matter how hard he tried.but with this limitation he was the most loving man and loyal friend

by Anonymousreply 321January 14, 2018 5:02 PM

How could you not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322January 14, 2018 5:05 PM

No Alan was not a smoker.His lips were full and soft until the end. He smelled like violet, had the most beautiful soft feet, huge calves, big thick cock. He was fantastic in bed, the best. A great giver and a great cook.super fun and unpretentious. Adorable man through and through

by Anonymousreply 323January 14, 2018 5:16 PM

You don't have to pretend the guy was perfect on every level. He had enough going for him.

by Anonymousreply 324January 14, 2018 8:45 PM

I am just sharing my memories

by Anonymousreply 325January 14, 2018 9:21 PM

Thanks for your memories.

by Anonymousreply 326January 18, 2018 2:53 AM

R132 News just in. One hour ago.

I guess more secrets will be revealed soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327January 18, 2018 8:32 AM

Tiny irony given R327's news that the thread next to 'Alan Bates' on my thread list is 'Are Glory Holes Really A Thing?' Mr Wyngarde could have told us all a tale or two.

by Anonymousreply 328January 18, 2018 11:42 AM

M.Wyngarde was a abuser and a nasty manipulator who pushed Alan to the edge of depression until he finally escape around the time of Zorba the greek. Young Alan was very shy, afraid of his impulses, overwhelmed by his success, both as a man and an actor, and at first, felt safe in a monogamous relationship that turned very badly. But in a way it kept him off the street cruising and possible scandal "a la Gielgud". So despite the continuous abuse and put down, he carried on a long time. Homosexuality was a crime then. Exceptionnaly for Alan. P.W. was never forgiven and never a friend.

by Anonymousreply 329January 18, 2018 1:11 PM

^ what kind of abuse? Physical? Emotional?

by Anonymousreply 330January 18, 2018 3:24 PM

Emotional

by Anonymousreply 331January 18, 2018 3:57 PM

Wyngarde sounds like a piece of work. Did he date any other actors?

by Anonymousreply 332January 19, 2018 12:12 AM

Speaking of which....Peter Wyngarde is dead. Maybe our gossiping killed him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333January 19, 2018 12:31 AM

Is a tractor gay because it’s always taking loads?

Did I get it right?

by Anonymousreply 334January 19, 2018 12:37 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 335January 20, 2018 1:00 AM

The Quad in NYC is showing some of Alan's movies this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336February 18, 2018 11:26 PM

It often pushes them too.

by Anonymousreply 337February 19, 2018 12:58 AM

I'd like to see him in the film "A Day In The Death of Joe Egg", based on the play of the same name. It's about a married couple with a severely disabled daughter. He and Janet Suzman are said to be very good in it.

by Anonymousreply 338February 19, 2018 2:36 AM

I wouldn't cross the street to see any of those - except for THIS, which I'd love to see on the big screen with a New York audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339February 19, 2018 2:46 AM

[quote]I'd like to see him in the film "A Day In The Death of Joe Egg", based on the play of the same name. It's about a married couple with a severely disabled daughter. He and Janet Suzman are said to be very good in it.

I got the DVD. I gave up after 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 340February 19, 2018 2:47 AM

There's a theater version of "Joe Egg" on YouTube starring Eddie Izzard and Victoria Hamilton, which wasn't very good. Izzard actually broke character during the production; it was a mess. I saw a clip of the film with Alan Bates and it looked much more interesting. If I had the DVD I'd watch it.

by Anonymousreply 341February 19, 2018 3:14 AM

R340 please send r341 your DVD.

by Anonymousreply 342February 20, 2018 1:22 PM

I wonder if there'll be a Peter Wyngarde biopic. Who should play PW and AB? I hope David Walliams isn't cast as Wyngarde.

by Anonymousreply 343February 20, 2018 1:25 PM

^ a Wyngarde/Bates movie would be awesome

by Anonymousreply 344February 20, 2018 3:20 PM

[quote]I wonder if there'll be a Peter Wyngarde biopic. Who should play PW and AB? I hope David Walliams isn't cast as Wyngarde.

People don't know enough about it.

by Anonymousreply 345February 20, 2018 3:31 PM

Quad Cinema has been playing a retrospective of his films over the past week. Still a couple more days left, I think. I caught "The Go-Between" and "Women in Love," both of which I had never seen. The costumes in "Women in Love" were spectacular, and the wrestling scene did not disappoint.

I liked "The Go-Between," it was very hypnotic, but I wish it had gone a bit further and pumped it up a bit more. The description of the novel on Wikipedia indicates that they there are some things lightly suggested in the movie that are explicitly stated in the novel, which I think would have helped, though I guess who am I to question Harold Pinter.

by Anonymousreply 346February 20, 2018 3:32 PM

Link to Quad Cinema:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347February 20, 2018 3:32 PM

Sorry, one more post. At the end of the retrospective, they are opening a longer engagement of a restoration of "King of Hearts." Anyone here seen that one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348February 20, 2018 3:36 PM

[quote]Sorry, one more post. At the end of the retrospective, they are opening a longer engagement of a restoration of "King of Hearts." Anyone here seen that one?

Yes, I hated it.

by Anonymousreply 349February 20, 2018 4:55 PM

In the 70s King of Hearts was a huge cult film.

I never got the love for it.

by Anonymousreply 350February 20, 2018 5:18 PM

I like the music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351February 20, 2018 5:23 PM

I saw King of Hearts in college when film societies were showing cult films every weekend. (I guess that phenomenon has long since died a digital death since those wondrous weekends thirty-plus years ago.)

I liked it. Alan Bates and Genevieve Bujold are stunningly beautiful, and the question of individual sanity against the backdrop of an arguably insane wider society seems just as relevant now as it would have in the Vietnam War era.

by Anonymousreply 352February 22, 2018 10:59 PM

I saw "King of Hearts" at Quad Cinema, and I really loved it! I can see why some find it treacly, but I didn't. It had a very singular sense of humor that kept it from descending to schmaltz. It's certainly of its time, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

It reminded me a bit of Jean Genet's "The Balcony," in that both are partly about how costumes determine our societal roles.

by Anonymousreply 353February 27, 2018 11:55 AM

Anyone else seen IN CELEBRATION, which is a filmed version of the play with a young Brian Cox and James Bolan.

Alan Bates basically plays my father in it, and my father looked like Alan Bates as well.

by Anonymousreply 354February 10, 2019 8:55 PM

From "Tea with the Dames":

Eileen Atkins:“I think actors who play Antony always feel it’s Cleopatra’s play because it’s a better part. At least that’s what Alan Bates told me.”

Maggie Smith:“That’s because he wanted to play Cleopatra.”

by Anonymousreply 355February 10, 2019 9:00 PM

A dance with Kenneth Haigh on stage in "Look Back in Anger".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356February 11, 2019 1:46 AM

Maggie Smith:“That’s because he wanted to play Cleopatra.”

Oh no she di-in't!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 357February 11, 2019 1:48 AM

All those 60's and 70's British actors were hot.

by Anonymousreply 358February 11, 2019 1:56 AM

"All those 60's and 70's British actors were hot."

Well, not ALL of them. Bates was, though.

by Anonymousreply 359February 11, 2019 2:08 AM

I’ve changed my mind on the ‘who would you want from history’ thread. Alan Bates has to be one of the most beautiful men ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360February 11, 2019 2:16 AM

R354 Yes, I saw "In Celebration". It reminded me of Eugene O'Neill's "Long Day's Journey Into Night", with three sons instead of two, and an industrial background instead of a theatrical one. Sad movie.

by Anonymousreply 361February 11, 2019 3:50 AM

Is Jeremy Northam really gay, as an early post purports? He’s hot.

by Anonymousreply 362February 11, 2019 6:40 AM

He is unfortunately not, R362.

by Anonymousreply 363February 11, 2019 10:14 PM

R363 is wrong, he's gay

by Anonymousreply 364February 11, 2019 10:57 PM

Is he, R364? I’ve never heard that from anyone, and I work in the theatre in London.

He never sucked my cock though...

by Anonymousreply 365February 12, 2019 8:37 PM

Dirk Bogarde, Sean Connery, Malcolm McDowell, Oliver Reed, Alan Bates, Tom Courtenay,Alfred Lynch. Hot British actors from the 50's - 70's.

by Anonymousreply 366February 13, 2019 1:11 AM

Tom Courtenay is a great actor but I never thought of him as hot.

by Anonymousreply 367February 13, 2019 5:58 PM

Growing up on my family's farm, I knew I had something in common with the tractors

by Anonymousreply 368February 13, 2019 6:07 PM

A Voyage Round My Father

Laurence Olivier, Alan Bates, Elizabeth Sellars and Jane Asher in the 1984 television version of John Mortimer's autobiographical play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369February 13, 2019 6:51 PM

I love this thread. I first saw Bates in The Rose and then a few years later shrieked with glee in a local vhs video store when I saw a copy of The Wicked Lady with Bates and Faye Dunaway. It didn't disappoint and has become a favorite guilty pleasure over the years.

I LOVED Joanne Petit in The Group. Would love to know more about her rescue by Bates. And the poster TRUST ME I KNOW is fascinating. The way he described Bates was so real - I've known someone like that.

I'm watching BUTLEY right now. It's weird that even Roger Ebert dismissed that the Butley character was gay - just asexual. Bitch please the whole first long scene is Butley throwing a jealous hissy fit because his boy toy has a new guy. Alan Bates is delicious in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370February 14, 2019 5:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!