Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The number of teens who are depressed is soaring — and all signs point to smartphones

Around 2012, something started going wrong in the lives of teens.

In just the five years between 2010 and 2015, the number of U.S. teens who felt useless and joyless – classic symptoms of depression – surged 33 percent in large national surveys. Teen suicide attempts increased 23 percent. Even more troubling, the number of 13- to 18-year-olds who committed suicide jumped 31 percent.

In a new paper published in Clinical Psychological Science, my colleagues and I found that the increases in depression, suicide attempts and suicide appeared among teens from every background – more privileged and less privileged, across all races and ethnicities and in every region of the country.

All told, our analysis found that the generation of teens I call "iGen" – those born after 1995 – is much more likely to experience mental health issues than their millennial predecessors.

What happened so that so many more teens, in such a short period of time, would feel depressed, attempt suicide and commit suicide?

After scouring several large surveys of teens for clues, I found that all of the possibilities traced back to a major change in teens' lives: the sudden ascendance of the smartphone Because the years between 2010 to 2015 were a period of steady economic growth and falling unemployment, it's unlikely that economic malaise was a factor. Income inequality was (and still is) an issue, but it didn't suddenly appear in the early 2010s: This gap between the rich and poor had been widening for decades.

We found that the time teens spent on homework barely budged between 2010 and 2015, effectively ruling out academic pressure as a cause.

However, according to the Pew Research Center, smartphone ownership crossed the 50 percent threshold in late 2012 – right when teen depression and suicide began to increase. By 2015, 73 percent of teens had access to a smartphone.

Not only did smartphone use and depression increase in tandem, but time spent online was linked to mental health issues across two different data sets.

We found that teens who spent five or more hours a day online were 71 percent more likely than those who spent only one hour a day to have at least one suicide risk factor (depression, thinking about suicide, making a suicide plan or attempting suicide). Overall, suicide risk factors rose significantly after two or more hours a day of time online.

Of course, it's possible that instead of time online causing depression, depression causes more time online. But three other studies show that is unlikely (at least, when viewed through social media use).

Two followed people over time, with both studies finding that spending more time on social media led to unhappiness, while unhappiness did not lead to more social media use. A third randomly assigned participants to give up Facebook for a week versus continuing their usual use. Those who avoided Facebook reported feeling less depressed at the end of the week.

The argument that depression might cause people to spend more time online doesn't also explain why depression increased so suddenly after 2012.

Under that scenario, more teens became depressed for an unknown reason and then started buying smartphones, which doesn't seem too logical.

Even if online time doesn't directly harm mental health, it could still adversely affect it in indirect ways, especially if time online crowds out time for other activities.

For example, while conducting research for my book on iGen, I found that teens now spend much less time interacting with their friends in person.

Interacting with people face to face is one of the deepest wellsprings of human happiness; without it, our moods start to suffer and depression often follows. Feeling socially isolated is also one of the major risk factors for suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2018 5:56 PM

There's a reason why they call it the hypnotize machine.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2017 2:15 AM

Good. Maybe they'll all off themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2017 2:15 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2018 12:30 AM

What's a computer?

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2018 12:34 AM

Go to a college campus and everyone walks around looking into their phone. They may as well take classes online at home.

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2018 12:57 AM

[quote] Our analysis found that the generation of teens I call "iGen" – those born after 1995 – is much more likely to experience mental health issues than their millennial predecessors.

Horseshit. At any point in the history of time & sensitive adolescents in accelerating cultures have felt this way. Suicidal tendencies have nothing to do with technology, which by the way is a neutral tool as this study should have been.

My HS grad class had dozens & dozens of potential suicide cases & deeply depressed kids, and we had limited access to iPhones back then on account of cost and the fact that they were a brand new tech release.

We were the bracket of middleschool schoolkids who spent all their time with iPod earbuds in and primarily used MySpace on PC & BBM to communicate. A few of the richer kids brought laptops to school (no-one had an Apple, though). In HS most of us had Samsungs slide/flipphones with limited or no Internet/social-media access (but built-in IM). And hey, what do you know, some of us still wanted to end it.

The only correlation I believe may bear weight is the effect of Blue-light on circadian rhythms which can deplete serotonin levels and ruin sleep cycles. That will depress any living thing.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2018 1:20 AM

"The number of suicides has jumped..."

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2018 5:32 PM

It's not the device per se, it's what they use it for: SOCIAL MEDIA.

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2018 5:37 PM

But do the tech companies already know they are harming kids, just as the tobacco companies knew?

Will try deny it?

Will there be billions in law suits?

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2018 5:43 PM

[quote]But do the tech companies already know they are harming kids, just as the tobacco companies knew?

It’s not that simple. The cause and effect relationship with tobacco and cancer is pretty cut and dry, not so much with proving smartphone use causes mental illness in kids.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2018 5:52 PM

We are pack animals. We're hardwired to be with other human beings.

Smart phone eliminate the need or ability to get that interaction.

The cause and effect here is not difficult to deduce.

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2018 5:58 PM

Startling numbers of 20th Century kids wanted to die. Anyone remember Grunge?

This study feels like scapegoating, “look-over-here” nonsense to me.

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2018 6:31 PM

the toxic effects of tobacco took a long time to get public buy in.

Let the law suits commence!

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2018 6:33 PM

I think spending too much time on social media makes them depressed because they don't feel they can measure up. Everyone is photoshopping themselves, being media whores, and pushing that life is akin to some happy advertisement for alcohol or food with beautiful people. It is taking these kids and adults further and further from reality.

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2018 7:58 PM

isn't that nice for the parents!

But this study doesn't tell us what we need to know, because it doesn't say what the smartphone time is used for. Is it really social media, as I suspect? Because IMHO social media is toxic for the immature and the socially clueless, it offers the illusion of popularity and connection while preventing the actuality.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2018 10:09 PM

When all those brainwashing experiments took place in the 50s and 60s, basically that is the internet now.

Except with children. Most content is trying to persuade you to do something. Every click has an agenda.

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2018 10:22 PM

I think a class action is in order.

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2018 10:42 PM

Thank God I'm not a millennial. Having to ride my bike to the library to look up shit in the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature seemed like punishment at the time, but at least my friends and I had conversations. I couldn't imagine being a kid today typing texts all day long. If a text exchange goes past a few back and forths, I just call the person now. There have been so many times where I texted back and forth with someone for like an hour when we could've just talked on the phone. I need to hear a voice and emotion.

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2018 11:14 PM

R18, what does this article have to do with millennials?

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2018 11:20 PM

I definitely can see both sides of people's points. On the one hand when I was growing in the 80s and early 90s I never saw internet or smartphones available . The one example I always use is that when people told you you were busy back then you had no choice to basically believe it. Now people see what you were doing 24 hours a day and you can't pretend that your friend really is busy or the guy you like has all the time in the world and is choosing not to call you. On the other hand I am pretty sure I am remembering hearing similar studies about the television. Maybe I miss remembering but I remember older adults talking about television and especially video games like it would be the death of all of us. So who knows? I think each side is right in their own way and there is a little bit of truth to both sides. It can be a chicken or the egg thing because in college kids that were depressed definitely stayed in watching more TV and play more video games, but that definitely could have been just ways to occupy themselves and get their minds off being depressed just for a bit. I think most people zone out using media at some point to make themselves feel better

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2018 11:28 PM

I hope they send me their money before they kill themselves. That or I'd like to marry someone very old with a pension.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2018 11:33 PM

The thing is, kids have always been depressed at that age. I went through a horrible depressing at high school/college age, and one of the big differences between then and now was the nobody in my school or family tried to do anything about it.

But nowadays, social media has made the challenges of entering adulthood that much harder. Since the beginning of civilization young people have always had trouble with education, struggled with crappy entry-level jobs and not having enough money to live out their dreams, difficulty establishing sexual/romantic relationships, etc. But social media makes all those adjustments so much harder, because everybody on social media lies and not everybody realizes how much bullshit they're looking at. Not only that, if a young and clueless person lifts their head up from the smartphone, anyone who's head is in the social media netherworld understands even less about the real world than previous generations of young people, and has fewer coping skills because their emphasis has been on learning to navigate the world of social media rather than real world. I don't know what to do about it, but I don't think psychiatrists have any answers.

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2018 2:36 AM

[quote] Go to a college campus and everyone walks around looking into their phone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2018 3:37 AM

^ Bwahahaha

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2018 3:39 AM

i think smartphones are involved, those spent too much time on there are feeling bad because they see other people who are richer,thinner, better looking than them etc...so many of these images are faked and photoshopped.

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2018 3:43 AM

I would bet that most of this has to do with cyberbullying on a platform that few parents are paying much attention to... namely Snapchat! I have older siblings (who think they are with it) who have teen kids who are glued to their phones. And because they monitor their kids' use of Facebook (non-existent) and Instagram, they feel confident that they know what is going in their kids' social media lives.

Except that most of their social media activity is on Snapchat, and that is an app that is much more difficult for parents to keep an eye on. It is also one of the most frequent avenues for cyberbullying.

All of this makes me very grateful that I went to school [italic] before [/italic] social media, and sorry for kids who now not only may be dealing with bullying by peers at school, but may be dealing with it at home now, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2018 5:09 AM

Do kids date or have boyfriends/girlfriends anymore? None of my cousins' kids, now in college, seem to have had any despite being attractive/friendly/extroverts.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2018 5:17 AM

R27, some of my nieces and nephews have. They still do all of the typical teen things (go to movies, dances). The only real difference I see is that they communicate with each other via texting or that damn Snapchat, instead of talking to each other on the phone like I did when I was their age.

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2018 5:25 AM

Ah R28. I've wondered if maybe my cousins' kids are just more secretive about it or something.

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2018 5:27 AM

I don't think it is social media. I think it is the phone itself. It creates a barrier that is in place almost all these kids' waking hours. They don't talk to their families. They don't talk to their siblings. They don't talk to their friends. They have no face-to-face social interaction anymore. We are a social species and texting and "liking" things is not social interaction. People die every single day from social exclusion, be it by suicide or health problems induced by their isolation. Smartphones are social isolation and exclusion devices by their mere existence, no matter what you are doing on them. This is becoming more and more clear with more and more studies being done. There aren't any studies that are showing the overwhelming benefits to kids and teens using phones to endlessly disconnect from human contact. They are killing this generation.

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2018 6:14 AM

Smartphones give you ready access to social media, social media is not good for self-esteem. Therefore smartphones are bad for you.

Also, I've noticed young women seem to anxiously hold their phones all the time, and constantly look at it. Waiting for a reply to a text, waiting for a like on Instagram. Seriously, put the phone away - when you go for a walk, or go into work, put the phone in your handbag. Also, don't have your headphones on, because you're likely to miss out on what is happening around you, plus, again you have your phone constantly in your hand and are more likely to anxiously check for messages / updates.

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2018 7:05 AM

People just automatically plug into them. As soon as they step out of a building, a room - there goes the headphones / buds into their ears.

When did we all of a sudden have this desire to listen to music, all the time?

I don't think we really are needing to listen to music all the time, it's now either become a habit or an excuse to tune out the rest of the world.

When I see someone put their headphones on, I don't think anymore, gee there's someone really in need for some music. I see a sad sap, an arrogant sad sap, who is also stupid to know that the answer to their sadness won't come from their stupid phone or buds.

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2018 7:11 AM

I've said it before, but it seems like Adolescent Onset Autism could be a thing.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2018 7:12 AM

People (young and old), don't see that what is on their device is just an abstraction of the real world, not the real world.

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2018 7:15 AM

[quote] I don't think it is social media. I think it is the phone itself. It creates a barrier that is in place almost all these kids' waking hours. They don't talk to their families. They don't talk to their siblings. They don't talk to their friends. They have no face-to-face social interaction anymore.

I agree with you regarding the impact of phones on zombifying these kids, and for this upcoming generation, that is the only reality that they have ever known. It's eye-opening whenever I take my nieces and nephews hiking and camping (and they are forced away from cellphone service) that they actually do have a lot of intelligent things to say, and we have had some very quality conversations about everything under the sun. And yet as soon as we reach cell service, they are immediately back to their phones, scrambling to respond to whatever messages they have missed from their friends.

The added effect of social media has been disastrous on our culture. People are oversharing way too damn much, and this is across all generations, and it's ruining friendships and relationships. I would say that at least 50% of what is out there on social media is better left unsaid.

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2018 7:41 AM

R23- That doesn't change anything. Its actually even worse for young children and teens because their parents and grandparents are also disengaged. My own parents who are approaching their seventies have two granddaughters who are 7 and 2. They adore them, sure, but they just can't stay away from their iphones or iPads when my nieces are visiting. Over the holidays I watched my parents struggle against the call of the iShit. They'd put them away with a show of finality, intent on giving undivided attention to the girls. But five maybe ten minutes later there'd be something that they'd need to check, just real quick. Like what's the weather going to be like tomorrow evening or when does that one exhibit at the Natural History Museum end or let's look at the menu of that new Vietnamese restaurant to see if there is anything for my vegetarian sister-in-law if we should happen to go there sometime this week, etc. etc. All stuff that, once upon a time, people could just deal with not knowing right away. We are always in this state of divided attention now. I can't imagine what it does to developing brains to grow up watching this. Grandparents aren't telling stories the way they once did. Parents aren't maintaining the same sort of eye contact with their kids, they aren't engaging in social behavior that the children can model. They are looking at the kids then looking back at their screens, then kid then screen, over and over again.

I truly believe that smart devices are destroying social bonds. All of the things we once thought were somewhat exclusionary weren't. Listening to music or reading a newspaper or a book, all of these things were, to varying degrees, communal. Your dad might play some corny album that you couldn't stand, but you'd still share the experience. Your big sister would come home from college looking strangely cool and listening to a kind of music you'd never heard before. You'd ask her about and she'd roll her eyes before talking about some art rock band that you'd end up looking for so you could show off to your dorky suburban high school fag hag. You'd see your mom reading the newspaper and you'd notice some of the headlines or the pictures, maybe pick it up later if you were interested. She might save the crossword puzzle or an article about a new exhibit at the art museum for you to read later. Even seeing someone reading a book was socially engaging in a way that seeing someone reading their Kindle is not. You could ask the person if they're enjoying the book without looking like a total freak. Asking someone what they are looking at on their iPhone? That's a huge social violation. Never mind asking a stranger at a coffee shop, try it on a friend or relative. Seriously, try it on your partner while he's sitting next to you having dinner. They'll all be a little defensive. Because that's another problem. Most people feel just a little bit guilty about it. They know that they waste a whole bunch of time looking at irrelevant bullshit, but they just can't stop.

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2018 8:23 AM

R36 TLDR, just joking. You're totally right. The humans are in total DEVO (de-evolution) realm now.

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2018 8:41 AM

"Will you get a load of Kids today"

by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2018 8:48 AM

^ Bait 🎣

by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2018 8:50 AM

What r14 said. Heard from some parents that when you ask kids what they want to be - they say "rock star" and stupid things that you just dribble from social media.

And yes, grunge - gladly I by-pass ed thar scene as a kid from the 70s. That music is depressing. And don't get me started on rap and the Kartrashians who pose their tits and a***** on line 24/7 on the U.K. Daily Mail. The DM has become the Kartrashians' porn site.

When I was a teen, we communicated via phone and socialized at high school.dances, went to "good" concerts, and lived a more innocent life in general.

I know a guy who used to be a scholarship teacher and a cop came by his school one day to give some seminar and he privately told this teacher "You couldn't pay me to be a teacher these days." And that was in 1996.

Now they have security screening devices for weapons as you enter schools (at least in some U.S. schools). And the sexting that goes on and the issue of pre-teens exposed to online porn.

And they wonder why kids/teens are depressed. So glad, ever so grateful I'm not a teen in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2018 9:07 AM

But let's keep breeding, it will be interesting to see how much more depressed future generations can be.

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2018 9:38 AM

R34 ok, so what is reality, really? Perhaps a rewatch of THE MATRIX is in order...

Is it any wonder people are ‘checking out’ when they know that the world around them is largely a fabrication? Life has proved itself both a Lemon and a Lie in the last century, and now with the rise of cloning, AI & 24/7 surveillance we have all started to habitually doubt our own eyes & ears. We live in the age of Photoshop, Fake News & Anonymity. For most of us there are no institutions, no absolute virtues and barely any individuals we know we can trust. The human must define himself by something, so why not his ephemeral self?

What’s to say that a song playing in the earbuds of some kid wandering the sidewalks today isn’t the most real & relatable thing in his life, when his parents don’t talk to him and his reality is all smoke & mirrors? Maybe it’s the only real thing he can access, because music is an immutable way to express truth. That’s the beautiful thing about art, and the way we transmit it to others no matter the technology used.

Are any of us much better than these kids, hiding from our lives to chat on the DL?

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2018 11:12 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2018 5:29 PM

It has nothing to do with phones and everything to do with parents are not teaching their child how to cope with real world problems.

I know people in their 30s who have never been to a funeral, because it's too much stress. What? Death is part of life and even little kids need to learn how to face it.

I had one coworker that couldn't understand why his 24 year old son wants to move out. "He has his own room, he doesn't pay rent, I feed him.." I was like 'He has a girlfriend now, that's why?" When this guy was 22 he was married and had two kids, he forgets that though..

And the list goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2018 5:50 PM

Buck would have never become depressed because because of a smart phone.

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2018 5:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!