Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joyce DeWitt - Surgery or Haircut

For the first two seasons of "Three's Company" Joyce sported a short cut, then a curly cut and while she was "cute" she was not particularly beautiful.

Then in season three she comes back with a new haircut and looks absolutely stunning and beautiful. She retains this cut, with variations of length each year, till the show's end.

So did DeWitt have any plastic surgery, or was it simply a case of unflattering haircuts the first two years?

by Anonymousreply 51July 26, 2020 9:12 PM

The Linda Lovelace perm was unflattering on almost everybody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2017 9:33 AM

She's very tiny, so it was probably weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2017 9:41 AM

Joyce season 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2017 9:44 AM

Suzanne looks so old there. You can tell if this pilot hadn't worked out she probably would have just applied for Cashier at Von's. The bland character of Chrissy evolved into a lovable bubblehead.

Joyce doesn't come first to mind when you're casting "3 young hotties sharing a pad!". But her comedic skills made up for that.

Ritter's physical comedy made the show.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2017 11:31 AM

I thought this cut looked flattering on her, the perm that had grown out a bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2017 11:46 AM

It was the makeup, especially the eye makeup. Joyce had very big, very pretty eyes, and when they were highlighted she looked really beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2017 11:56 AM

Yeah her make-up was a complete overhaul. Darker cheeks, more attention to the eyes. Chrissy also went with darker lips.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2017 12:07 PM

I actually think the Dorothy Hamill look was most flattering to Joyce. I didn't like the heavy '80s makeup she had later on. For that matter, I didn't like that overdone look on anybody.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2017 12:34 PM

[quote]The Linda Lovelace perm was unflattering on almost everybody.

The Lynda CARTER one seemed to work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2017 12:41 PM

[quote] looks absolutely stunning and beautiful.

Joyce DeWitt was NEVER those things, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2017 12:54 PM

They went way heavy with the makeup on both women a few seasons in. It helped Joyce to the extent it highlighted her eyes better, but was too harsh on Suzanne. She looked so much better with a more natural face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2017 1:08 PM

Heavier makeup made her look drawn and older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2017 1:09 PM

Based on her television appearances, cute and fuckable would be as far as I would go praising Joyce Dewitt's looks. The Joan Jett shag never did ANYONE any favors.

However, I have a feeling she was prettier in person than she looked on camera. She looks the type.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2017 1:10 PM

You DO know that Johnny Carson lusted over Joyce and spent a long time trying to get her in bed. Her refusal led to a big rift between Carson and one of his people, his agent or accountant or something like that, who Joyce did do.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2017 1:18 PM

[quote]They went way heavy with the makeup on both women a few seasons in

Well, let's face it...the zanier and cartoony the show became the makeup had to keep up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2017 1:19 PM

I never understood the overuse of make up in this sitcom

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2017 1:37 PM

R16: It made up for the terrible writing. Maybe you could have used more of it (makeup) on your show. Or at least more vaseline on the camera.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2017 3:22 PM

I guess standing next to Suzanne, Joyce would be considered "cute" rather than "beautiful". I think Joyce was beautiful, though, and the 80's high-glam make-up styles made her beauty pop. I can't imagine the show without Joyce or John, but Suzanne was obviously replaceable. I thought the show was so much better after they replaced Chrissy with Terri. I liked that Terri was a smart (and sarcastic) nurse instead of another stereotypical "dumb blonde".

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2017 4:29 PM

Who came up with that insane and fabulous hairstyle for Chrissy?

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2017 4:33 PM

Which one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2017 4:40 PM

I didn't like when Suzanne's hair became more platinum. She looked lots better with a slightly darker, more honey tone. The platinum was harsh.

Then they put it up in pigtails, and slathered on the blusher. Not good.

Joyce had a cuter figure. Nicer booty and legs.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2017 4:44 PM

***AHEM***

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2017 4:46 PM

Somers made Dewitt seem like Judi Dench, in terms of acting.

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2017 5:00 PM

[quote]Suzanne was obviously replaceable

Only in the sense she was replaced, the show was awful once she left. While the ratings held, look at Andy Griffith and the Lucy Show bot with saw increases in ratings when Don Knotts and Vivian Vance left, but those later years were awful, just like with Terri.

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2017 5:44 PM

I wonder if the hideously bright lighting on this show - and the videotape format - made them go overboard with the makeup.

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2017 1:16 AM

Somers said all the hairstyles were here idea.

DeWitt says that the hairstyles were her own choices as well.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2017 7:58 AM

Ann Jillian was another, she rocked that dutch boy haircut that made her look beautiful, but with another hairstyle her looks faded. Jillian's sex appeal was always more attitude than actual beauty though.

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2017 9:48 AM

I LOVE Three's Company,I just do. Life would be GREAT if it were a Three's Company episode, it just brings me so much happiness and joy

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2018 10:23 PM

Should Joyce De Witts’ character been more of a Mary Ann from Gilligans Island type?

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2018 10:30 PM

I was just watching a marathon earlier today on LOGO and I think I like the Don Knotts years the best plus a certain bleach blonde, check bouncing single Mom , former welfare receipant with the talent of a ficus plant who shouldn't be named was no longer part of the cast and THAT Joyce DeWitt looked better and hotter than ever in those episodes!

Plus she proved to be a comedic genious, "the Lucille Ball of the 80s" as one critic called her! And I agree

By the way, Suzanne you're pussy stinks!!!!

by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2018 10:44 PM

R30 I thought that’s what they called Priscilla Barnes?

by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2018 10:58 PM

The "first blonde" on Three's Company as I refer to her as is a very manipulative , fake and hurtful person

She would bring you nothing but pain in life and cause you to leave Hollywood for 9 years to find your spiritual self

She is NOT a serious actress eithet, unlike say the should've won a bunch of Emmys Joyce DeWitt, you know America's Sweetheart, Joyce does art when she acts and Suzanne does some weird stuff with some thigh and master thingy, whatever the hell it's called

Suzanne HURTS people!

She hurts them!!!

by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2018 11:15 PM

She was far too pretty with the new haircut, it must've been plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2020 10:15 PM

Joyce's hair changed every season. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. She has her Master's and is a very studious, hardworking actor. Even Suzanne talks about seeing one of Joyce's scripts and noticing how she'd made all kinds of notes in it about her character's motivation and development. The hair changes were part of her trying to evolve the character as she/Janet aged. What started off as a show about actors in their late 20s playing characters in their mid-20s ended up eight seasons later as actors in their mid-30s playing characters in their early 30s. By then in the 1970s, most grownup hets had gotten married and many would have had kids. That was the cultural expectation, at least.

So kudos to Joyce for changing it up a bit each year and not going on autopilot and not obsessing about everything staying the same.

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2020 10:23 PM

Joyce had a nose job towards the end of the show. The next to last season, I think. Her "Italian nose" suited her suited her face more, in my opinion.

Her nose looks odd these days.

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2020 10:28 PM

She kept the same haircut after season 3, just letting it grow basically. The first two years were radically different.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2020 10:28 PM

baby had ass.

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2020 10:35 PM

r37

No, she had L'eggs

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2020 10:45 PM

r37

Yep, and she took care of it too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2020 10:46 PM

Jesus, R34, could you imagine making notes about the character motivations of the dopes on Three's Company? Since when is misunderstanding considered a motivation? Bitch be cray-cray.

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2020 10:49 PM

R40 ok that’s another DL joke I need explained to me. I love John Ritter.

Also I think she may have gotten two nose jobs? In her “current” interviews it looks even more pinched then it did that last season.

Also when she grew out her hair late in the show and wore those Victorian type tops that were so popular again she looked like an English teacher.

by Anonymousreply 41July 26, 2020 1:41 AM

along with the harsher makeup, somers's character became even MORE dumb and basically brain mushed...

ritter became more handsome as the seasons went on, he went from a nice looking safe bland pretty boy to a handsome sexy man i think...

by Anonymousreply 42July 26, 2020 1:50 AM

r42 Ritter was way too heavy to get all the women he had. Every woman threw themselves at him? Why? A pudgy unemployed guy with a gut? Never happen and Larry was even worse except maybe since he had an actual job he had some money.

by Anonymousreply 43July 26, 2020 4:49 AM

Joyce had the nose job after TC ended. She lost a substantial amount of weight because she was dating Ray Buktenica who was on House Calls and he was heavy into fitness and got her into jogging. During the final seasons, she started doing her hair in a similar Marlo That Girl style and it was very flattering.

by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2020 5:06 AM

R43... he wasn't "heavy" he was average joe body with a boyish attractive face.. plus he had personality, so why wouldn't he get the women he got on that show... and he wasn't always unemployed, didn't he work as a chef for most of the run of that show?....and yes, he did slim down a bit and grew more handsome as the seasons went on....

i agree with you on Larry though.. not attractive, hair was awful... he was just a horn dog for the most part, and i suspect alot more failures then wins with women..

by Anonymousreply 45July 26, 2020 2:33 PM

Are megan mullaly and joyce kinda the same person.

by Anonymousreply 46July 26, 2020 2:41 PM

I got to see the fabled Joyce DeWitt GYPSY. As Mama Rose, Joyce was absolutely... good enough.

Not great. Not bad. Not in any way. Thoroughly professional from start to finish. It can be safely said that as Rose, Joyce DeWitt drove the bus and got it there without incident.

But it ain't her role.

by Anonymousreply 47July 26, 2020 2:51 PM

I love how Datalounge adopts forgotten female sitcom stars like other people adopt rescue dogs.

by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2020 2:53 PM

[quote]he wasn't "heavy" he was average joe body with a boyish attractive face.. plus he had personality, so why wouldn't he get the women he got on that show... and he wasn't always unemployed, didn't he work as a chef for most of the run of that show?...

No, he was always FAT. He had a gut overhanging all his pants in all seasons. He was in no way good looking enough to have every woman throwing themselves at him and he didn't graduate cooking school until midway in the series. You didn't watch the show.

[quote]She lost a substantial amount of weight because she was dating Ray Buktenica who was on House Calls and he was heavy into fitness and got her into jogging.

Is that why Julie Kavner lost weight???

by Anonymousreply 49July 26, 2020 8:20 PM

Suzanne's makeup in the photo at R12 reminded me of Stuart from MaDTv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 26, 2020 8:25 PM

R49 1) fat? no he was average joe body which is a bit chubby but NOT fat, you talk as if he was obese 2) he was ALWAYS a nice looking guy 3) it wasn't like he was going out with drop dead gorgeous women every episode or was 100% successful in getting every woman he wanted, in fact, that was part of the running joke. 4) he may have no graduated from cooking school until mid seasons, but he was employed at various places before that, you act like he was some unemployed bum for years and years on that show? (how did he pay his share of the rent then?)....

by Anonymousreply 51July 26, 2020 9:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!